An Imperial Match: Anne Boleyn marries Charles V

Only time was used as such and the boy died quickly. The Earldom was created for a legitimized son of a royal prince and Richmond also had belonged to the NOT Royal half-brother of a King
That does not change the fact that A) Somerset has been used as a Royal Ducal title in living memory and B) that both Somerset and Richmond are closely connected to the origin of the Tudors.

But this is derailing the thread. I think that we can all agree that Henry is being foolish in giving his bastards these titles and not less controversial ones

Last edited:
Edmund Tudor was called the Duke of Somerset, but the title was never actually created for him.

Clarence has the memory of George Plantagenet associated with it, so I don’t think it would be used. Maybe Bedford

And you shouldn't. I don't know why everyone is reacting so strongly, since Henry has given far better titles to his bastards both in OTL and in other timelines on this site.
Ofc she shouldn’t! It’s her tl after all :) We were just arguing that there are more sensible titles. But Henry has never been sensible haha. As for Fitzroy’s OTL title, one should remember that at the time he was Henry’s only son unlike ttl where he has 3 other healthy sons

12th of January, 1528.
Palace of Richmond, England. 12th of January, 1528.

"No! I don't want to!"

"Your Highness, you must," Dorothy said in a hushed tone, running behind Prince Edward. It was an early January morning, seasonably cold and she was worried for his constitution. The fear, although coming from the heart, was slightly misplaced for the royal nursery was truly warm with the multitude of fireplaces and rugs covering every inch of the floor, as well as the thick tapestries hanging from the walls. Besides, His Highness had left his hot bath barely a minute before.

Dorothy continued following the Prince, for she knew that, though her long skirts were tangling between her legs, she was much faster than him. In her hands, she held the first two layers of his clothes, as well as a wooden brush to set his golden locks which grew more and more wild with each passing year.

Edward shrieked in defeat when she caught him at last, face red, but Dorothy did not let it deter her. The Prince needed to be suitably dressed for his ennoblement ceremony that day and the Queen had given Lady Bryan permission to treat her son as the governess saw fit, a permission which trickled down to nurses such as her. If she had to shake Edward or slap some sense into him, she would.

"No!" the little boy screamed as she stuffed his head in the neckhole for the shift, taking in big gulping breaths as he screamed. Dorothy, who was nearly forty with more than enough children in her history as a caretaker, was not cowed by his wiggling. Prince Edward was not the first child of three who refused to put on clothes and he certainly would not be the last. "No! Dothy, don't want to!"

"I know, I know," she murmured soothingly, helping him up to coax his little feet into his white shoes, "But you want to look beautiful before the King and Queen, don't you, Your Highness?"

Edward, who had grown tired of fighting, sat down and crossed his arms, pouting furiously. "No," he responded with as much strength as a boy his age could muster.

She moved to grab the rest of the layers of his clothes, which were the same as worn by his older half-brother when he was named the Prince of Wales and sent to Ludlow with a household of his own. Now, it was Edward's turn since with a little Elizabeth needing the attention of Lady Bryan. When he was named the Duke of York, he would leave Eltham and go to Pickering Castle under the careful watch of Lady Worcester, the King's first cousin. Dorothy and Lady Bryan would remain with Princess Elizabeth until the day a younger sibling came and she be allowed to join the tutelage of the Countess of Salisbury.

"Yes, you do," Dorothy said. She took advantage of this to brush his hair to look neatly under his hood, which she picked up as he was distracted. "I know His Highness very well, for I have taken care of him since he first left his mother's body. The Prince wants to look very handsome before his royal mother and father."

Edward said nothing, still pouting and with his arms crossed. Dorothy leaned back to see him, his white smock with frilled cuffs under a gown with fashionably wide turnback sleeves and a simplified version of a French hood. She helped him attach the religious amulets to his belt and his dress, which had been made to safeguard his health. Edward, much like his brother John, was healthy and hale but the King had waited too long for a son of his own to let them catch an illness without protection.

When he was dressed and ready, Dorothy sent him with Alice who would bring him to Lady Bryan. It was his day, but he was not the only star who would shine at court. Dorothy had heard rumors when she moved from Eltham with His Highness' household that the King's two illegitimate sons would also be honoured with their own titles.

It was said that the King had made Prince Edward's ennoblement be on the same day as his half-brothers' so that the Queen would be forced to attend, otherwise she might be inclined to avoid such an occasion. There were even those who said that the King had not said when Prince Edward would be honoured with York so that the Queen could not claim indisposition and leave with her son.

Of course, those were only rumours.

Last edited:
I will admit to being inspired by Philip Prospero's portrait for Edward's clothes, as well as the analysis of it made on wikipedia.

The first portrait of Philip Prospero to come down to us was painted by Velazquez in 1659, the year Philip felt he could safely agree to the terms of the treaty with France. This portrait and one of Margarita Teresa were made that year for the Emperor Leopold I, their mother's brother and Margarita's future husband. In the painting the prince appears to be around three years old. He stands before a rich black background, the blackness of which is repeated in his eyes. His wrist limply rests over the back of a child-size chair in which lies an equally limp, contented spaniel. (These are a traditional pose and prop, though Velazquez painted his sister and, years before, his half-brother Balthasar Charles with their commanding little hands placed flat and firm, not dangling.)

In Velazquez's honest depiction the baby's eyes have a faint gray-blue-brown hollowness around them. His luminous face and hands and his white muslin smock are accented by the warm red of his gown and are a brightness against the subdued, somber background colors. But the painting directly admits the little boy's precarious health: from strings criss-crossing his chest and waist hang metal bells and at least two protective lucky amulets, a cornicello and on the string across his left shoulder a black object, likely a fig-hand carved of jet. By contrast, nearly thirty years earlier, Velazquez painted a robust Balthasar Charles at age two or three with staff, sword, exuberant sash and plumed hat. This is not a political picture, other than that it shows that the impossible hopes of a nation are depending on a wavering little spirit, which itself is depending on luck and fate.

Prince_Philip_Prospero_by_Diego_Vel%C3%A1zquez.jpg

I used to babysit a three year old so I can sympathize with Dorothy. They never want to put on clothes. Hopefully Edward's ennobling goes well.

I used to babysit a three year old so I can sympathize with Dorothy. They never want to put on clothes. Hopefully Edward's ennobling goes well.
Honestly yes. I have a three year old nephew that I'm always babysitting and him screaming bloody murder as I brushed his hair this morning was PEAKA

Honestly yes. I have a three year old nephew that I'm always babysitting and him screaming bloody murder as I brushed his hair this morning was PEAKA
Also despite the inconveniences, Isabella kept her mouth shut throughout the ceremony. I won't write the scene because ennoblements are not my forte but it went as well it could.

Isabella is NOT happy though.