An Imperial Match: Anne Boleyn marries Charles V

Family Tree - Tudor
King Henry VIII of England (1491-) m. a) Catherine of Aragon (1485-1523); b) Isabella of Portugal (1503-). Affairs with: c) Elizabeth 'Bessie' Blount (1498- ); d) Luisa Borja (1500-1526)
  1. a) Stillborn daughter (1510);
  2. a) Henry, Duke of Cornwall (1511-1511). Lived for almost two months;
  3. a) Short-lived boy (1513-1513). Possibly stillborn;
  4. a) Short-lived boy(1514-1514). Possibly stillborn;
  5. a) Princess Mary (1516-);
  6. a) Stillborn girl (1518);
  7. c) Henry Fitzroy (1519-). Illegitimate;
  8. a) John, Prince of Wales (1523-). Twin to Katherine;
  9. a) Princess Katherine (1523-1523). Twin to John, lived for almost an entire year;
  10. b) Edward, Duke of York (1524-);
  11. d) Pierre Fitzroy (1526-). Illegitimate;
  12. b) Princess Elizabeth (1527-)

Last edited:
LIKES THIS? A revolt by nobles against the crown? Are we talking about the same John II of Portugal who broke the back of the nobility and killed a nobleman with his bare hands and strengthened the power of the crown to the furthest limit of all European powers at that time???

The man who said "I'm the Lord of the Lords, not the Servant of the Servants", the man who NICOLO MACHIAVELLI HIMSELF called The Perfect Prince?????? LIKES A REVOLT AGAINST THE CROWN LED BY HIS OWN BASTARD SON AND A GROUP OF NOBLES????
First of all, chill.

Second of all, I'm just saying he likes intrigue and he also heavily pushed for his 'bastard' son to become king, uncaring of what might happen and he hated Manuel and the Trastamaras, so he would want to see Jorge as king of Portugal without influence from Castile and treating the overseas territories as João wanted them to be treated: places to explore, rather than christianize.

First of all, chill.

Second of all, I'm just saying he likes intrigue and he also heavily pushed for his 'bastard' son to become king, uncaring of what might happen and he hated Manuel and the Trastamaras, so he would want to see Jorge as king of Portugal without influence from Castile and treating the overseas territories as João wanted them to be treated: places to explore, rather than christianize.
I am sorry. I did not mean to shout like that. But John did not like intrigue at all, given his harsh actions against all and any plotters in court or church. And he would have wanted Manuel and his successor to safeguard the strength of the crown against noble plotters. And his own son plotting against the crown with nobles, just like the Braganzas had done again him would have sent him spinning in his grave.

I am sorry. I did not mean to shout like that. But John did not like intrigue at all, given his harsh actions against all and any plotters in court or church. And he would have wanted Manuel and his successor to safeguard the strength of the crown against noble plotters. And his own son plotting against the crown with nobles, just like the Braganzas had done again him would have sent him spinning in his grave.
It's his son that intrigued to put on the throne. He would approve of this.

27th of September, 1527.
Stuttgart, Württemberg. 27th of September, 1527.

The brown-haired boy was sleeping peacefully in his mother’s arms, pouty lips shining brightly under the candlelight. He had round rosy cheeks and golden eyelashes, with a long straight nose. George leaned forward and touched his little son’s even littler hand, letting out a surprised and loving gasp when the boy closed his fist tightly around his finger.

Johanna, back pressed to the multitude of pillows, smiled happily. “He’s so handsome,” she murmured in French. “He doesn’t look like Anna, however.”

“I see no problem with that,” George murmured, thinking of his little daughter sleeping peacefully on her nursery in another wing of the castle. Anna seemed to take after the English side of her family, with his sister Mary’s blonde locks and light blue eyes, whereas the little boy had his mother’s dark brown hair and unopened eyes. “He seems healthy enough.”

Johanna’s smile grew even larger, as if that was possible. “He is as healthy a lad as I have ever seen,” she said, raising her brown eyes to look at him lovingly. “What shall we name him?”

George took a deep breath. He knew exactly what he wanted to name his son, though he had to embellish the name a little, as to be better accepted. “Karl Ferdinand,” he murmured, “For the Emperor and the King of Hungary and Bohemia, without whom we wouldn’t be here today.”

Johanna smiled. “I like that,” she said. “Will you invite Their Majesties to be Karl’s godfathers?” He nodded.

“With your blessing, of course,” he answered, “And I would also like your sister, Amalie, to stand as godmother.” Amalie had come to stay with her sister after the marriage since she had been dedicated to the church at an early age and there was no fear of what George might do to her. She had returned to her priory only after the birth of her niece, Anna, and still exchanged frequent letters with the Duchess of Württemberg.

Johanna dipped her chin. “Thank you, my lord,” she murmured.

George nodded, smiling and returned his eyes to his little son. Peacefully sleeping, Karl Ferdinand had no idea of the role he had been born into, how much he secured his father and family on Württemberg just by virtue of being a healthy male. With Ulrich von Württemberg dead, and his son Christoph a boy of twelve in the Emperor’s custody, he had little to fear now.

Life was good.

--

Dunois, France. 12th of October, 1527.

Louis II d’Orléans, Duke of Longueville read the letter again, fearing he had misunderstood its contents. His eyes ran along the paper and the scribbled words, his shoulders relaxing as he realized no, he understood it perfectly.

The Duke and Duchess of Brittany cordially invited him to take part in their celebrations of Yuletide, as both would not be attending the royal court’s celebrations. Louis understood there were concerns for their age, especially since the war and the loss of his first (and only respected) wife had made King Francis more indulgent with the wine and sex. Duke François was only nine and his little bride, eleven. They should not see such things.

Besides, Brittany had remained semi-independent for years, far longer than any other French holding and though its lord would one day become King of France, it was understandable that they would hold their own celebrations separate from the monarch’s.

Of course, there would also be much to gain if Louis was to attend it, since, though he was an Orléans, he had been born of an illegitimate line of the family, with no claim to the throne. Meeting the young Duke when he was still young and impressionable might safeguard his career in the future.

He was only seventeen but his father, and his mother especially, had always made clear that they had to rely on the goodwill of the King of France to continue with their wealth and lands. Louis had been born a second son, but his elder brother’s death some years past had made him head of his family. He needed to keep them all safe and if he had to do so by attending the Christmas celebrations in Nantes, then so be it.

So be it.

Last edited:
The brown-haired boy was sleeping peacefully in his mother’s arms, pouty lips shining brightly under the candlelight. He had round rosy cheeks and golden eyelashes, with a long straight nose. Georg leaned forward and touched his little son’s even littler hand, letting out a surprised and loving gasp when the boy closed his fist tightly around his finger.

Johanna, back pressed to the multitude of pillows, smiled happily. “He’s so handsome,” she murmured in French. “He doesn’t look like Anna, however.”

“I see no problem with that,” Georg murmured, thinking of his little daughter sleeping peacefully on her nursery in another wing of the castle. Anna seemed to take after the English side of her family, with his sister Mary’s blonde locks and light blue eyes, whereas the little boy had his mother’s dark brown hair and unopened eyes. “He seems healthy enough.”

Johanna’s smile grew even larger, as if that was possible. “He is as healthy a lad as I have ever seen,” she said, raising her brown eyes to look at him lovingly. “What shall we name him?”

Georg took a deep breath. He knew exactly what he wanted to name his son, though he had to embellish the name a little, as to be better accepted. “Karl Ferdinand,” he murmured, “For the Emperor and the King of Hungary and Bohemia, without whom we wouldn’t be here today.”
So nice to see the Bullens of Württemberg being established. And little Karl Ferdinand honoring his uncle and his father’s… very dear friend.
The Duke and Duchess of Brittany cordially invited him to take part in their celebrations of Yuletide, as both would not be attending the royal court’s celebrations. Louis understood there were concerns for their age, especially since the war and the loss of his first (and only respected) wife had made King Francis more indulgent with the wine and sex. Duke François was only nine and his little bride, eleven. They should not see such things.

Besides, Brittany had remained semi-independent for years, far longer than any other French holding and though its lord would one day become King of France, it was understandable that they would hold their own celebrations separate from the monarch’s.
Oh dear, Francis is really spiraling from his loss, is he? Hope Elisabeth doesn’t mind seeing her husband shag any pretty girl that eyes him and glut himself into an early grave

So nice to see the Bullens of Württemberg being established. And little Karl Ferdinand honoring his uncle and his father’s… very dear friend.
9fe

Oh dear, Francis is really spiraling from his loss, is he? Hope Elisabeth doesn’t mind seeing her husband shag any pretty girl that eyes him and glut himself into an early grave
He did this OTL too and Eleanor just had to shut her eyes and endure.

Interesting to see the Duke of Longueville secure the future of his career with this move, I hope that he can encourage Francis to be a better man than his father.

Georg nodded, smiling and returned his eyes to his little son. Peacefully sleeping, Karl Ferdinand had no idea of the role he had been born into, how much he secured his father and family on Württemberg just by virtue of being a healthy male. With Ulrich von Württemberg dead, and his son Christoph a boy of twelve in the Emperor’s custody, he had little to fear now.

Life was good.
I feel like something bad is going to happen to Georg or Karl.

King Henry VIII of England (1491-) m. a) Catherine of Aragon (1485-1523); b) Isabella of Portugal (1503-). Affairs with: c) Elizabeth 'Bessie' Blount (1498- ); d) Luisa Borja (1500-1526)
  1. a) Stillborn daughter (1510);
  2. a) Henry, Duke of Cornwall (1511-1511). Lived for almost two months;
  3. a) Short-lived boy (1513-1513). Possibly stillborn;
  4. a) Short-lived boy(1514-1514). Possibly stillborn;
  5. a) Princess Mary (1516-);
  6. a) Stillborn girl (1518);
  7. c) Henry Fitzroy (1519-). Illegitimate;
  8. a) John, Prince of Wales (1523-). Twin to Katherine;
  9. a) Princess Katherine (1523-1523). Twin to John, lived for almost an entire year;
  10. b) Edward, Duke of York (1524-);
  11. d) Pierre Fitzroy (1526-). Illegitimate;
  12. b) Princess Elizabeth (1527-)
I still marvel at how Katherine surprisingly got pregnant at 38, after five years of no pregnancies...

I still marvel at how Katherine surprisingly got pregnant at 38, after five years of no pregnancies...
Eh, it's not that improbable. Woman do have a spike of fertility right before menopause. My mom called it a going out of business sale. OTL Katherine's fertility issues were compounded by Henry not sleeping with her anymore.