An Imperial Match: Anne Boleyn marries Charles V

Family Tree - Sforzas
  • Duke Francesco II of Milan (February 1495-November 1535) m. Catalina of Austria (January 1507-)
    1. Duke Ludovico II of Milan (October 1523-) m. Caterina de' Medici (April 1519-)
    2. Massimiliano Sforza (September 1524-)
    3. Margherita Sforza (November 1525-) m. Friedrich, Count Palatine of the Rhine (December 1482-)
    4. Beatrice Sforza (August 1526-May 1528)
    5. Francesco Sforza (October 1527-)

Last edited:
    18th of November, 1535.
  • Barcelona, Catalonia. 18th of November, 1535.

His mother insisted that Felipe learn finances, so he'd be better prepared to handle the economic matters of his many kingdoms when God called him to rule. His father had begged off, there were plenty of advisors and servants to do the work for him, but since he was so often gone, it was his mother's responsibility to choose his instructors. And she did so well, inviting financial experts from Italy and the Empire to teach him.

So Felipe felt, like any other boy of twelve in his situation, that he knew what he was doing. He liked mathematics, he liked to understand it. He especially liked the idea that he could do something about it, that he could take these kingdoms of his and fix them. Make them a better place to live.

He had great dreams, as any boy did. Felipe and his instructor, a Venetian man named Agustin Rossi wrote a long dissertation about what they thought should be done to fix his father's economical problems in his Spanish Kingdoms. Monsignor Rossi did most of the thinking, of course, but Felipe had many ideas.

There was a problem with the minting of coins. They were hammered down by different blacksmiths, meaning there was no pattern. No standard. It made it too easy for tricksters to shave off some slivers of silver here and there, to cause enough mayhem to mint more, weaker and less valuable coins, or silver objects to sell for profit. Such an act weakened the crown, made them seem liable to theft.

Felipe thought he had the perfect solution for it. A machine that could press melted silver into perfectly sized and patterned coins, something similar to a printing press. Felipe had no idea how it would work, or how it could be made, but maybe his father could call some inventor from Italy to do so. Like Leonardo da' Vinci.

And there should be a way for Castilians, Aragonese and all to trade together. One coin, one king, one kingdom. It seemed to him that this was the best choice, to create a standard. Was his father not king of Castile and Aragon both? Maybe they could even introduce this coin in the Low Countries, even if Felipe was not set to inherit those.

So, he and Monsignor Rossi wrote down all his ideas in as clear and concise words as he could manage. He wanted to be brief, but Felipe still found himself holding around six pages full of notes for his father. He was walking down the corridor, heart racing. Monsignor Rossi had offered to come to him, assumed he would in fact, but Felipe begged off. He thought his father would be more open to change if it came from him, his son and the Prince of Asturias.

His heart continued to race when Felipe at last found his father, talking to the Duke of Alba. Snippets of their conversation reached him as he approached them, clutching the paper to his chest.

"The Dowager Duchess of Milan intends to send her second son Massimiliano here to be educated as soon as they are out of mourning," said the Emperor. “I want you to travel to the coast to welcome my nephew after the New Years’ Celebration.”

The Duke of Alba nodded. “Yes, Your Majesty,” he said. “Am I to bring Messer Sforza here?”

“Yes, he will share a school room with the Prince of Asturias,” said his father. He shook his head. “Eustace Chapuys told me the Dowager Duchess is trying to arrange a marriage between Massimiliano and Violante d’Este, a daughter from Duke Alfonso and that Laura Dianti."

The Duke of Alba frowned, this was certainly a confusing new development, but he was stopped from saying anything by noticing Felipe standing behind them. The Duke bowed slightly and said, "Your Highness."

The Emperor turned to look at him, confused. "Shouldn't you be with your tutors?" he asked in a gruff voice.

"Yes, but I have something to show you!" Felipe murmured, excitedly. "I worked really hard on it."

His father waved him off, already turning.

“I am busy at this moment, Felipe,” he said. “Show it to your mother, I’m sure she will enjoy it.”

“But it’s for you,” Felipe insisted. “Not for my mother.”

“I’m busy!” his father answered, looking at him with such a look in his face that Felipe felt his heart stop. “I don't have time for your silly things. I will not say it again, boy.”

Felipe nodded as tears flooded his eyes, trembling as he bowed. His father walked away with the Duke of Alba, who looked at him with an apologising expression. He returned to his rooms, not wanting anyone to see him cry. He threw his papers in the first lit hearth that he found.

Last edited:
    Cast - Seven Founders
  • A new tv-show depicting the court of the Duke of Brittany François III, future king of France, has just been announced. Come check it out!

Alex Heath as François de Valois
    fe91da847324890b379ff072c4b64338852b85c7.pnj

Eliza Scanlen as Mary of England
    MV5BNDAxNWIwNzgtZDRjNS00NzNkLWJhZTItMDYyNGNjNjE0NTc0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTE0NTczNDAz._V1_.jpg

Milly Alcock as Elizabeth of England
    %2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F4d2fbb40-2a0a-11ed-a830-74a6c8fbb722.jpg

Claire Foy as Lady Parr
    554564_1.jpg

Nicola Coughlan as Madge Shelton
    bridgerton-nicola-coughlan-penelone-gorda-reproducao-netflix_fixed_big.jpg

Claudia Jessie as Suzie White
    bridgerton-eloise.jpg

Colin Firth as Francis I of France
    8907463532_4a1ebd74e8_b.jpg

ANNOUNCEMENT: rumors that Ruairi O'Connor would be reprising his role as King John II of England have now been confirmed.
    EGx-eiOWsAMknlI.jpg

12th of December, 1535.
  • Lisbon, Portugal. 12th of December, 1535.

The needle moved in and out of the fabric, Leonor carefully holding her tools as she sewed a new shirt for her husband, the crackling of the burning logs in her hearth filling the air. She raised her eyes slightly, looking over at her three daughters, who were also partaking in sewing projects of their own.

Joana was finishing a tapestry for a nunnery filled with devouts to Blessed Elizabeth of Portugal, paying special attention to the ruby-red roses that represented the miracle associated with their ancestress. She had started it because of the influence of her aunt-by-marriage, Eleonora d’Este, who had grown much fond of the folklore surrounding the once Queen. Leonor, of course, only encouraged the friendship, possibly because the now Duchess of Aveiro was a talented and pious young woman, not to mention one of much intelligence and good sense. Surely, there was nothing wrong with her becoming some sort of mentor to the young Infanta.

Manuela and Margarida, in their turn, were sewing new dresses for themselves, though a maid sat beside Margarida to help the poor child, only four years of age. Margarida had her tongue peeking out in concentration, reddish hair carefully brushed out of her face for her to see. Manuela, nine, was more proficient with a needle and did not need any help, carefully embroidering the hem of a wide blue skirt with beads and precious jews.

Leonor smiled. Domestic moments such as that which they were in were rare in a royal life and she enjoyed it greatly. Of course, she might have preferred for Filipe and Afonso to be present as well, and João, obviously, but the men were off on a hunting trip. Celebrating another successful year of João as King of Portugal, ruling since his father's death in 1517.

So it was just her and the girls, her precious infantas. And the maids, of course, but it was far too easy for a queen like Leonor to ignore her servants. Which she did.

"I hear the Duchess of Aveiro is to bear another child," said Leonor with a careful tone, still sewing for her husband. "Which, with the Empress' state already confirmed, means my darlings shall have two cousins born in the coming year."

Manuela looked up. "Is the Queen of Hungary not expecting as well, Lady Mother?"

"Oh, yes," said Leonor. "I had forgotten that the Queen of Hungary will have another child." She smiled. The last child born to her brother Ferdinand was Eleonore, her namesake and goddaughter, in 1534. "So three cousins in this new year, three blessings." She raised her eyes slightly, looking at Joana, who had already returned her gaze to her tapestry. "Soon enough, it will be you, Joana, who shall marry and give us blessings. Who will strengthen our family with new heirs."

"Must we talk about this now, mama?" Joana asked, turning to her with a complaining gaze. She was fifteen and entirely full of ideas about what her life as an infanta and future Princess of Asturias should be like. "I shall not marry my cousin for another two years."

"I must, if you wish to be prepared," Leonor responded with a stern lip. "When I was twenty years of age, I married my own cousin and became Queen. It was such a delight for me, though I so wished that my own mother had prepared me." Leonor had not spent much time in Castile, barely even seen and met her mother after arriving from the Low Countries, before her brother sent her to Portugal.

"I know, mama," Joana replied. "I know everything about how you and father fell in love at first sight, the love that blossomed into my sister Maria, then me and the rest of my siblings." She murmured something under her breath, something that Leonor didn’t quite catch. A complaint, certainly, or an arrogant mumble that the Queen preferred to ignore.

“It is a queen’s duty to bear children and I did so happily and loyally for your father, my dear,” said Leonor. “You have a royal womb, child, and I hope that you will fulfil your duty to your cousin with as much reverence as I did.”

“How can I know that?” Joana asked, a hint of a whine hidden under her words. “I barely know my cousin, the Prince of Asturias. Just like Afonso barely knows Infanta María. Are we to hope for love to blossom for us, as it did for you and father?”

“Yes,” said Leonor, with a sympathetic tilt of her head, “Such is the life of queens, my darling.”

“I know,” said Joana, stabbing the fabric angrily with her needle. “I know, I know, but it seems unfair to me. To be a woman, to marry a stranger, to bear his children until I die of exhaustion.” She shook her head. "I want something more."

"This is your destiny," said Leonor. "You are to rule besides Felipe and bring peace, to maintain friendly relationships between Portugal and Castile." She shook her head, settling back against her seat. "But if you are worried, then you don't need to be. There is still two years before you are to travel to Toledo, and you speak French perfectly, thus I tell you: write letters to Felipe, befriend him."

"But he is just a boy," her daughter said.

"He won't be a boy forever," Leonor said. "You are older than him, use that to your advantage. Ask about his life, about his favorite things. He will be happy with your interests." She smiled. "Mold him into the husband you wish him to be and the occasional kindness will spare you all sort of trouble in the future."

"You make it sound so easy," her daughter said.

Leonor smiled gently again. "It won't be," she said, "But you have two years to make it easy, my love."

Joana nodded, letting out a deep shuddering breath and relaxing her shoulders. Poor girl, she was just scared of marrying a stranger, but hopefully, Leonor's words had made her feel better. More at ease with her future. At that moment, Manuela sat up in her seat, looking at her mother.

"I don't wish to ever be married," she said.

Leonor chuckled.

"You say this now, child, but one day, you shall wish for children and a family," she answered. "Don't worry, for I'm sure your father will make you a match with a good man that will care for you. Make you a queen!"

"I don't want to be a queen and I don’t want children," said Manuela. "I want to be a nun and pray to the Lord all day, to stay here in Portugal with you and my father." Her green eyes filled with tears. "Do I have to go? I want to be a saint."

"You can't just wish sainthood, stupid," Joana replied with a scowl and Margarida giggled at her sister's tone. Manuela looked back at Joana and stuck out her tongue, angry.

Joana gasped in shock and outrage. Leonor simply shook her head as the two sisters began to argue, waving in a young maid to take them away.

--

Barcelona, Catalonia. 24th of December, 1535.

Anne had her eyes closed, holding tightly to the rim of her tub. The water sloshed around her body, her shift clinging to her swollen form. She was just four months along, recently quickened and yet she felt as if she was much further in her pregnancy. More uncomfortable.

She was exhausted, depleted by her ninth pregnancy in twelve years. After giving birth to Eduardo, Anne had to stay in her bed for nearly two months to recover her strengths.

She didn't even know what would happen to her when this one was born. The doctors had prescribed an herbal bath to heal her body from her last labour and to nourish her blood for this next, but she was scared. Completely and utterly scared.

--

Milan, Milan. 12th of January, 1536.

Despite Enrica's attempts, Ludovico did not laugh as she juggled three colourful balls between her diminutive hands. Catherine sat beside him, a hand over his as they stared at the fool, trying to cheer him up.

She looked at him, her betrothed. His face was as it had been for weeks since his father died, full of grief and a heaviness so unlike him. Since the day they met, when they were children, Catherine liked him for his personality. For his heart, which bursted with love and joy. It hurt her to see him like this, so upset.

She didn't love him like a husband. Not yet, in the least. Ludovico was just twelve, a boy still, but Catherine cared for him. He was her friend.

She looked at Enrica, her courtly fool. The same look of passive acceptance was stamped in her face, a sense of sadness and some sort of irritation. Catherine pressed her lips together.

"You may go now, Enrica," she said. "Leave me alone with the Duke."

Enrica nodded, bowing. "Your Graces," she said, before leaving. When the dwarf was gone, Catherine looked at Ludovico, leaning down to see his face.

"It's alright," she murmured, cupping his chin. "It's alright, I'm right here."

"I'm scared," he murmured. It was the first time he spoke in hours. "Massimiliano left to keep him safe and now Violante d'Este is coming to Milan to serve my mother, but what if that is not enough?"

"It will be enough," she said. "The wealth of Florence is by your side. I'm by your side."

"You can't win a war alone, Caterina," Ludovico responded. "I heard some people say the Gonzagas from Mantua wish to regain their lands, and they are under the protection of the French king. The same French king that wishes to take Milan for himself."

"But he will not," Catherine responded, clutching his hand. "You are the Duke of Milan, Lulu. No one else. You have many lands under your rule, many men that can defend your territories."

"I'm only a boy," Ludovico said. "I heard my mother say that she wanted me to become a king, but that can't happen until I'm of age. Until all of old Lombardy is under Sforza rule."

"It will happen," said Catherine. "You can't be scared. It will happen."

One of Ludovico’s tutors came to fetch him for another round of his lessons soon after and Catherine stayed in her rooms, pondering about him. She stood up and walked out when it was nearly noon, heart racing. Catherine found herself walking to the Dowager Duchess’ private solar, knocking at the door.

“Come in,” said Caterina’s raspy voice and she obeyed, opening the door and coming inside. The Dowager Duchess raised her eyes for a brief moment, before returning her gaze to the paper before her. Catherine was able to see that Eustace Chapuys, the Imperial ambassador, was present as well, leaning over the Dowager Duchess. Catherine curtsied before her. “What is it, duchessina? Is there something wrong?”

Catherine nodded. “I’m worried about Ludovico,” she murmured. “He has not eaten well, or slept. I think he is feeling stressed about his new position."

Caterina raised her eyes. "You think?" she asked. "He is stressed?" She leaned back against her chair, setting her papers aside. “You will address the Duke of Milan with respect, girl.”

Catherine blinked, but she didn't let herself say anything embarrassing, looking from Eustace to the Dowager Duchess. "I'm the Duke's betrothed and I have much to fear about him" she said. "His lessons are too much for him, all his duties. The Duke needs a break."

"My son is well," said the Dowager Duchess with a scornful gaze. Catherine always knew that Caterina did not like her, despised her low birth even if she was one of the most important advocates for her marriage to Ludovico. “Take care to keep your thoughts to yourself, duchessina.”

“I am to be the Duchess of Milan,” Catherine insisted. “It’s my duty to take care of the Duke, and the Milanese.”

“Your duty is to bear children for my son,” replied the Dowager Duchess, “Which you will not be able to do so for many years yet. Until then, you are a stranger in this court, a foreigner of no use who is best to keep her mouth shut where she is not called.” She smiled then, a gentle smile that was completely at odds with what she had just said. “You may leave now, duchessina.”

Catherine had no choice but to obey.

18th of January, 1536.
  • Barcelona, Catalonia. 18th of January, 1536.

Felipe was playing with his brothers when it happened.

It was strange to play with such young boys, but he liked it. They had giddy and joyful laughs, clutching their toy horses and toy soldiers in their chubby little hands. Felipe had such fun being with them, even if some of them could not yet speak full and comprehensible sentences like himself. They were his brothers and he loved them.

Fernando was two, blonde curls framing his face like a painting of an angel while Eduardo was one, dark-haired and olive skinned. Maybe someone else might have balked at the idea of spending time with such babes, but Felipe was not someone else.

He enjoyed seeing their personalities shine through even at such a tender age. Fernando was quiet and sensitive, prone to tears if he thought there was something wrong, but extremely clever. He could speak clearly already and sometimes, Felipe thought he was speaking with a boy much older.

And Eduardo was a warrior already. He was strong, walking and running throughout the nursery without a care. He defied the nurses when they wanted to brush his hair, or change his swaddles and give him a bath. Felipe was sure that his brother would grow to enjoy hunting, tourneys and warfare.

But he wouldn't be able to stay long with them, because his own steward came to him with a sealed letter and a smirk. Felipe frowned and stood up, stepping away from his brothers.

The first thing he noticed was that the seal was poorly mended. Felipe looked at his steward and knew at once that the man was reading his letters, probably at his father's orders. His heart twisted and he looked away, trying to regain some semblance of personal privacy.

The second thing he noticed was that the seal bore the Portuguese coat of arms. The seven gold castles in red border surrounding five blue shields, now turned into a waxy green. Felipe assumed it was a letter from his aunt, the Queen of Portugal, but when he broke the mended seal and started reading it, he realised it wasn't.

My dearest cousin,

Recently, I found myself eager for news of you, my loving betrothed. Of your valour, your intelligence and your loving blue eyes. Though it pains me to admit so, I begged your father’s ambassador to tell me all he knew of yourself, unable to handle this longing to know. If I ever learn everything there is to know about the Prince of Asturias, I shall call myself a happy woman.

How are you? What have you done today? What do you like to do? I hear you are good with numbers, and finances. That you speak French, Latin, English and all the Iberian languages, save for Portuguese. If you’d like, I would be more than glad to teach you the language of our common ancestor, Isabella of Portugal, mother to Isabella the Catholic. We are to be married, after all, and I want our children to be clever, proficient with all the languages of their kingdoms and they shall be Portuguese just as much as they are Castilian.

I took the liberty to include a portrait of myself and I hope that you shall send one of your own as well, so that I may know your face before our marriage. I also hope fervently that you will respond to this letter as soon as possible, and that we may hold this correspondence until the year we are allowed to meet.

Your loving cousin,

Joana de Portugal

Felipe looked at his steward, who now handed him a portrait of a young woman holding a golden goblet. His heart raced as he looked at the sweet and gentle face of his cousin Joana, brown hair brushed and pinned up in and around her face under heavily jewelled hair net, with a circlet. She wore an orange and red dress, the sleeves slashed to show the fine fabric underneath and the low neckline showing the great white expanse of her chest, and the expensive necklace she wore with rubies, sapphires and emeralds. Her face was handsome, with a small and perfect mouth under a long nose. Her blue eyes were not directed at him, but still, he felt as if she looked at his very being. His soul.

It was so funny. Felipe had never met his cousin, the one he was destined to marry, and yet he was already in love with her.

18th of February, 1536.
  • London, England. 18th of February, 1536.

The Duke of Norfolk gifted John a new hawk for his thirteenth birthday, a bird that the King named Valour, for he seemed especially bold and courageous. And to encourage the bonds of friendship between the King and his nephew, Charlie was also given a hawk that he named Jason, after the hero in the classics.

The two boys rode together in one of King Henry's great parks, birds at their arms. John looked around them, at the guards and grooms and servants that followed him and Charlie. It was strange, he thought, how he was never truly alone. He had grooms to take off his clothes, servants to scrub his body whenever he took a bath. Servants to give him food, to fill his cup with watered-down wine. Even to hand him a cloth in the stool. It was a wonder no one had asked him to brush his hair for him, or to chew his food for him.

He looked at Charlie. Even his friend was with him at all times. They shared a room now, with Charlie sleeping on a small mattress by the fire. He said he didn't mind when John asked for him to come to his own grand bed, and the King didn't know how to convince his friend to do so.

"I received an offer for a Danish princess," John murmured, letting Valour fly so he could catch a small rabbit in the woods. "The Lord Chancellor said I could say no or yes to the proposal."

"What was the proposal, Your Majesty?" Charlie asked gently. John was not offended by his forwardness, he revelled instead. It meant his friend still saw him as who he was, an equal, even if he was not.

"I'd marry Elizabeth of Denmark, the younger sister of King Hans and my sister Margaret would marry King Hans' son, Frederik," said John. The young prince of Denmark had been born on the first day of that year, the first child of the young king and queen of Denmark. "Elizabeth is around my age and everyone said she is a great beauty."

"So you will marry her?" Charlie asked. John shrugged.

"I don't know," he said. "I spoke with my mother and she wants my sister to go to Denmark, but not for Princess Elizabeth to come here." He shook his head. "She wants me to marry an infanta of Portugal."

"Is there even an infanta available?" Charlie said. "I heard Infanta Manuela has taken vows to become a nun." John shrugged again.

"There is the Infanta Margarida, but the Lord Chancellor said she has to go somewhere else," said John. "I don't know if I even want a foreign wife. How can you know where their loyalties lie, in truth?"

"I suppose there is some truth to that matter," Charlie murmured. He smiled. "I heard Pierre is going to marry Dorothy Stafford."

"Cousin Ursula's daughter?" John asked. No one had spoken to him on the matter, even if his permission as the king wasn't so dutifully requested during his minority. "Why?"

"My uncle said it's because the Staffords want to grow closer to you, so they may regain their duchy," Charlie answered.

"Baron Stafford is the son of a traitor," John responded with a scowl. "They shall not have Buckingham back, I swear to you."

Charlie shrugged. "If you say so," he said. "My half-sister Isabel is pregnant by her Baynton husband. They want to name him Henry, after your father."

John smiled. He'd like that. "Your sister should come to court," he murmured, "And serve my mother as one of her ladies. All of your sisters should."

"I think some would accuse that of being a Howard coup," Charlie responded. "I have too many sisters." John laughed; that much was true.

Their hawks returned, flapping wings triumphantly with their catches. John whooped eager and offered his arm forward, for Valour to clutch his sleeve. When the bird flew away again, he turned to his friend.

"Lord Dudley wants me to marry someone from the Empire, or maybe Sweden." His lips twisted. "A heretic."

"Why?" he asked.

"I think he wants to appease the Protestants here in England," John answered. "For my reign to be one of religious tolerance."

"Is that something you want?"

"If I am to marry someone from the Empire, then I want to marry a relative of the Emperor," John answered instead. "Maybe Margarita or Juana of Austria."

"I thought Infanta Margarita was too sickly to be married to a king," Charlie murmured. "And Infanta Juana is already promised, is she not?"

"I guess," John said. He frowned. "It doesn't seem to me that anyone is truly available." He looked at him. "I'm to turn fourteen in a year and everyone said it's best for me to be married then, so that I can have a son that may keep the French from gaining England. Oh, Charlie, what should I do?"

Charlie didn't answer. He didn't know what to say. There was no answer that would please his friend, because there was no foreign princess close in age to him of a suitable rank or ancestry. He might have said that John best marry an Englishwoman, but that would be a disaster. Wouldn't it?

--

Barcelona, Catalonia. 27th of February, 1536.

"The entourage that brings Infanta Joana to Toledo will also take Infanta María to Portugal, for her own marriage, two months later," Anne murmured, reading the paper before her. "Queen Leonor wishes for María to bring twenty dresses with her, made in the Portuguese fashion, and a hundred chemises, as well as many other things. Does she think we are made of money?"

When no answer came her way, Anne looked at her husband. "Charles, are you listening to me?"

He was not, but still, Charles said, "Yes, very attentively." His eyes were still directed to his wife's face, the pale aspect of her usually swarthy skin. She looked sick, and tired. He moved his hand to stroke her wrist gently, even as he felt the steady beat of her pulse inside her skin. "How do you feel?"

Anne looked away. "Tired and fat," she responded. "As I always do."

"Have you been eating well?" Charles asked. "Resting? Did you sleep today?"

"I slept," Anne said. "I have been taking care of myself, husband. There is no need to worry."

"I worry because I love," said Charles. He took her hand and brought it to his lips for a gentle kiss. "This will be our last, Anne."

She looked at him. "Charles…" she started.

"Nine heirs is plenty for me," he murmured. "We already have four sons and even if this baby is a girl, I shall thank the Lord for her." His eyes met hers. "The last time, Anne."

"But we love each other," she whispered. He nodded, clutching her hand.

"It is for that reason that we shall remain apart," he said. "Had I known better of your state following Eduardo, I would never have risked your life with this baby, but what is done can’t be undone." Charles looked at her, her striking dark eyes that retained their glint even with her frail body. He could see their love reflected in her pupils, in the faces of their children. Margarita and Eduardo especially, who had taken after their mother so keenly. He kissed her hand. “Do you understand me?”

Anne looked ready to refuse, but she nodded sadly. “I understand.”

Last edited:
    22nd of March, 1536.
  • Barcelona, Catalonia. 22nd of March, 1536.

Anne clapped happily as Catalina finished spinning, bowing happily before the Empress. Her daughter was a beautiful dancer with her golden hair and sparkling blue eyes, her face round and cheeks flushed in delight. And it was such a joy to see her dance, for Anne to enjoy the children she already had with her.

"Oh, what a queen you shall make someday!" Anne murmured and her daughter ran to her, arms open. She pulled Catalina close, kissing her face and her precious little hands.

"A queen, mama?" her daughter asked. "Like you?"

"Yes, just like me!" Anne responded. Catalina giggled, spinning around and her yellow skirts snapped happily, blooming up. She pulled her daughter close, pressing gentle kisses to her round little cheeks. "You shall be la Reine de France, my love. I know it so."

"De France, mama?" Catalina asked. "Do you really think so?"

"I do," said Anne. She stroked Catalina's hair, adjusting the blonde strands that had escaped her low bun. "The Count of Montfort is entitled to an Imperial bride and I shall speak with your father to ensure this bride is you, my love."

Catalina giggled and embraced her. She was not of age to dream of romances, too young at just five years old, but even she knew that being Queen of France was as good a fate as any girl could dream of. With her older sisters to go to Portugal, Austria and Savoy, where else could she go? The King of England was far too old for her, they would never wait for her to grow into maturity for a Prince of Wales, but France… well, France was another matter entirely. It was Anne's dream to see at least one of her daughters married to a handsome and rich French prince.

They had won the war with England, taken the entirety of Normandy back and were probably in a good mood. It would be good for them to arrange a marriage with the Valois, to keep the peace in Europe. Anne would talk with Charles, he’d do anything she asked of him, and their little daughter would become Queen of France. Everything should be well.

“I love you, mama,” Catalina whispered.

"I love you too, my sweet baby," said Anne softly. She tightened her arms around her child, unwilling to let go.

--

Rennes, Brittany. 1st of April, 1536.

Marie felt she was finally able to breath, arm in arm with her husband as they walked through the gardens. Ever so often, she'd tilt her head up and look at him, to assure herself that she was not dreaming and that he was truly there with her. Alive and well.

François felt her stare on him and he turned, cheeks flushed. "What?" he sheepishly asked.

"Nothing," said Marie. She smiled. "I'm just thinking about how lucky I am to have you here with me." Her smile weakened, taking in the slight limp to his step from his flaring injury. "And to imagine a world where I could have lost you after saying such hateful words…"

François stopped, turning to her. He clutched her hands and brought them to his lips for a kiss. "But you didn't," he said. "I'm right here. Everything else is in the past."

"Of course, it is," said Marie. She sighed, pulling him closer by the waist. He went willingly, smiling. "You will never leave my side ever. You shall always be with me."

"Always," François murmured before dipping down to press his lips to hers. Marie sighed against his mouth, wrapping her arms around his neck. "Marie…"

"Take me here," she whispered between kisses. "Take me right here. I can't wait a moment longer, my love." He looked around them as she kissed his cheek and his neck, nervous.

"Come," he said, pulling her into a darkened hedge. There, they descended upon each other.

--

Lisbon, Portugal. 2nd of April, 1536.

King João of Portugal leaned back when his brother threw a folded piece of paper on his desk, barking out "How could you?" in an angry tone.

"How could I what?" João asked, almost sarcastically. He raised his eyes lazily to look at Luís before he took the paper, straightening out the folds so he could read what had so offended his brother.

To my sister-in-law, the Duchess of Beja,

Ah, of course. João did not dare to go any further. He already knew what was written there, for it had been his own hand who penned such words. He looked back at Luís, the flushed cheeks of rage, the nostrils flared with insult. In truth, João would have almost laughed to see him like this, if only his anger weren’t directed at his person. And what he had done.

“I do what I must for Portugal and for this family,” said the King.

“This family?” Luís repeated incredulously. “I’m your brother and yet, you still stabbed me in the back. How could you do this to me?”

“Stab you in the back? Don’t make me laugh, brother,” João murmured. “My son is a good boy. Second in line to the throne. And the Duchess agrees with my decision.”

“She agrees to marry my daughter to your son?” Luís asked. “Without my knowledge or consent?”

“You would know if you spent more time with your lawful family,” João said with a reprehensive gaze. “Instead, you spend your days with that Pelican whore and the little bastard.”

“António is my son,” Luís replied, “And Violante is the woman I love.”

“But she is not your duchess,” said João. “Nor could she ever be, even if Guiomar were to drop dead this very moment. As for António…” He shook his head. “He may be your eldest son, but until you have a son with Guiomar, Clemência is your heir and her mother’s as well. So it stands to reason that I should marry her to Filipe, to keep the Marialva wealth away from my enemies.”

Luís shook his head. “You may lie to yourself, brother, but you can’t lie to me,” he said. “You just want my lands and money for yourself, or your precious little boys.” His eyes were dark. “And one day, this knife in my back will be one of truth.” He turned to leave.

“Luís…” João called, but his brother was already gone.

19th of May, 1536.
  • Barcelona, Catalonia. 19th of May, 1536.

It was a beautiful and warm day, the sun high in the sky. Charles tilted his head back to enjoy the heat that reached his face, even as his men walked beside him, speaking words that he barely understood. His mind was not focused, his calmness was poorly controlled.

"It seems to me that the King of Denmark has a deep emotional dependency on his wife, Queen Dorothea," said one of his councillors, a nobleman from Andalusia. "Perhaps that can be to our advantage."

"Prince Frederik is to marry Margaret of England, Sire," said the Duke of Alba. "Surely, we may use Lady Elizabeth and her sister to form a friendship in northern Europe."

"A friendship?" Charles repeated. He looked at Fernando de Toledo, the Duke of Alba, and saw his neutral face. Alba never let any of his feelings show, none at all. It somewhat irked the Emperor. "What do you suggest?"

"The next Danish princess to be born may marry Infante Eduardo to ensure friendly relations between us all," said Fernando. Charles pondered over the matter; his niece's daughter married to Eduardo? It might work, but the boy was just a baby. Charles felt strange just by considering the matter.

"Perhaps," he said. "Let the boy reach the age of reason, and this Danish princess be born, before we reach any decisions."

Alba nodded. Charles looked at his other councillors, waiting for them to say something, anything, but they didn't. They stayed quiet, and he'd later thank the stars for it, because it allowed him to listen in to the steps running to him. The desperation of the man, calling for him. Charles turned, searching for the sound, and he saw Francesc de Borja coming in his direction.

"Your Majesty!" the Marquess of Lombay called out. His face was flushed, but somewhat pale still, eyes wide. When he reached Charles, Francesc stopped, breathless. "Your Majesty…"

"Good Lord, Borja," said the Duke of Alba. "Compose yourself."

"What is it, Francesc?" Charles asked, looking at his kinsman. Francesc's mother was a daughter of Alonso de Aragón, illegitimate son of Charles' grandfather. In recognition of their familial bonds, and their friendship, Charles had named Francesc the Empress' equerry and her Lord Chamberlain. If he was there with him, instead of with Anne, then something terrible has happened. "What has happened?"

"The Empress' labour has started," said Francesc with a grief-stricken face. "The midwife says she may not survive it. Her Majesty is asking for you."

Charles did not hesitate. He didn't even look back at the men with him. Instead, he started to run as well, to go to Anne's chambers where just a few weeks earlier, she had been taken into confinement. When he thought everything would be well, and they'd have a new infante or infanta to love and care for. His heart was racing, barking orders at people to get out of his way, and it felt like an eternity before he reached the Empress' private apartments.

Anne was in her bed, pale and with dark bags under her eyes. Her hair clung to her face, sweaty as the midwives bustled around her, trying to work. Lady Elizabeth was with Anne, trying not to weep as she pressed wet rags to her daughter's forehead. Charles understood all there was to know: Anne had no strengths left. She could not push their child out, not force the baby out of her body so she could rest and regain her strengths.

"The Emperor," someone gasped and Charles looked around, feeling as everyone turned to him.

He grabbed the arm of the first maid he found, hissing, "Fetch the physician." She nodded and left with a curtsy, hurrying as she did so. Charles tried to swallow down the knot in his throat as he walked to Anne, catching her hand in his.

She turned weakly to him. "Charles?" she murmured. "Is that you?" Her striking black eyes opened to turn to him. "You're not a dream?"

"I'm here," he said. Charles kissed her knuckles. "I'm right here. It's not a dream."

Her legs were trembling in their place, splayed open. Charles did not dare to look between them, to the child that wanted to be born, but was unable to do so alone. He maintained his eyes on Anne's face, kissing her cold knuckles.

"They think I can't see their faces," Anne murmured, closing her eyes, "Or hear their whispers." She smiled softly. "They think I don't feel the baby kicking inside me. She wants to be born."

"She?" Charles asked, his eyes filling with tears.

Anne's smile grew brighter. "My Isabel, just as I promised," she said. She shifted in the bed, almost trying to fight off their hold. Her mother sobbed, pressing cold rags to her body, trying to abate her swelling. Anne opened her eyes again, wide with fear. "What is happening?"

She was delusional, mentally confused. Her mind was exhausted, unable to realize what was occurring around her. Charles kissed her hand again.

"It's alright," he swore. "You're just tired, you just need to rest. The baby is coming."

"The baby?" Anne asked, her face cringing in pain. She squeezed his hand as she tried to push, gasping and screaming. Charles saw the midwife kneeling in the bed, hands ready to grab the child, and his eyes returned to Anne's. His hand ached with her grip, but he ignored it. He kissed her knuckles as the midwife murmured encouragements, as Lady Elizabeth supported Anne's body with her arms, helping her sit up.

The door opened and closed, the physician stepping inside with his assistants. Charles barely paid attention to him, he barely looked anywhere but Anne's face, the tears sliding down her cheeks. She gasped and cried, trying to push past her limit as blood gushed down her thighs. He cried too, because the words left him, and the world was stopping in its axis.

It felt like an eternity when a cry rang out at long last, healthy despite everything. Charles was pressing his forehead to Anne's cold and clammy hand, and he raised his head weakly to look. The physician was holding the baby, his face pale and at the corner of his vision, the Emperor was able to see that his wife was still bleeding.

"It's a girl," said the physician. Charles leaned back as they placed the child in his arms, swaddled carefully. She was small, and her hair was red, though if it was because of the blood or the natural colour of it, he could not say. Tears slid down his face as the baby quieted, opening dark black eyes to look at him.

"Isabel de Austria," said Charles. He looked at Anne, her face even paler, as if that was even possible. "Look at our Isabel, our sweet child."

He looked back at the baby. He wanted to cry. Francis of France had made it clear that he wanted a Countess of Montfort younger than his grandson, and there was Isabel. Healthy, pretty. But was Anne's life the price to pay for all of this?

He looked back at his wife. A pity that they did not let him choose, because he knew well what would be his decision.

"You need to be strong," Luis Hurtado told Felipe, a sympathetic hand on his shoulder. The Prince of Asturias took a deep breath as he stood outside his mother's rooms, sweaty and afraid. "You're the eldest. Your brothers and sisters will need you."

"Is it so certain that she will die?" Felipe asked. He looked at Luis Hurtado. His eyes were wide, his face pale.

Luis Hurtado nodded at the closed doors and simply said, "She wants to see you."

He nodded and stepped inside. There were many people present. His grandparents, a priest to hold the final rites and his siblings, all standing around the Empress' bed. Felipe stepped closer and saw his mother, seemingly swallowed by her numerous pillows. He held his breath at the sight of her.

She looked so small, so pale. Her face looked devoid of colour, sweaty hair clinging to her forehead and when she moved her eyes around the room, they looked feverish. "Felipe?" she called out weakly. "Where is Felipe?"

He ran to her, clutching her hand. "I'm right here, mother," said the Prince of Asturias. "I'm right here."

He looked at his siblings, all standing around the bed. María was weeping as she clinged to Juanita, who was crying copiously as well. Fernando was burying his face at their grandmother's hip, blonde hair visible under his dark cap and Catalina was with their grandfather, confused and crying as well. Eduardo was in his nurse's arms, large and chubby with wide brown eyes. Did he even know what was happening? Could he even understand it?

"Embrace me, my children," their mother whispered in a raspy voice. "Let one of my final memories be of your loving touch." Felipe began crying then, truly and copiously. He laid his head over his mother's chest, embracing her as well as he could and she stroked his hair gently. He felt her lay a kiss against his cheek, whispering a promise of love there.

One by one, they embraced and kissed their mother in the order of their birth. First Felipe, then María and Juanita. Juan was away, had not seen their mother since he was two, but Felipe felt his absence keenly at that moment. Especially when his mother called for him and only their father, standing by her side, managed to calm her down.

Margarita came next. She was shaking her head, crying so hard that snot dripped down her nose. A nurse was helping her, stroking her brown hair, but Margarita would not calm down. Felipe looked at his father, who looked lost, face pale and utterly sad and then at his sister, who was shaking as she wept.

You did this, he thought, looking at his father. It's your fault that she is dying.

His own angry thoughts scared him, angry and dark and he looked at the people around him. Mencía Mendoza, who was holding Juanita as his sister cried. Francesc de Borja, weeping silently by the foot of the Empress' bed. Then at his father, who could not say anything.

He turned away, wanting to run back to the safety of his rooms, but he did not get very far. Felipe had hardly stepped out of his mother's chambers, wiping his tears away with his sleeve, when Luis Hurtado pulled him close.

"Let me go!" he shrieked, hitting the man. "Let me go! I hate you!"

"I won't," said Luis Hurtado, wrapping his arms around him. "I won't and you don't hate me. You're hurting, little prince. You're just hurting." He embraced him tightly, his legs and arms held by him.

At some point, Felipe stopped fighting, kicking and slapping. Instead, he began to truly cry and Luis Hurtado held him, stroking his hair with a fatherly hand. He cried and cried as the world ended on the other side of those closed doors.

There was little to no strength in Anne's hand anymore, but Charles still clutched it, kneeling beside her. He kissed her knuckles, looking at her face. Finally alone, after he ordered all others to leave them be, to leave him with her.

Anne opened her eyes. It seemed to him in that one moment, without Isabel inside her, that she had regained some of her strength and he could almost delude himself in thinking that she'd recover. Almost.

“You must ensure the children continue their studies, to prepare them for their futures in this world," she murmured, laying against the bed with a feverish gaze. "They must be prepared for grand marriages as is their due, and the girls must know to be good wives and queens for their husbands. Do you promise to see this done?"

He kissed her hand. "I promise," he answered. "I promise, my love. Whatever you want is yours."

"What I want is to live," Anne answered sadly. "I want to be brave."

"You are," he responded, "And you will live," but she shook her head.

"None of us can escape our fates," she said. Anne closed her eyes, pearly white tears sliding down her white and sunken cheeks. "If you take another wife, I ask only that she be good and to promise to love my children as well as her own."

"Never," Charles answered. I will not remarry."

"Your kingdoms may need it in the future," Anne murmured with a grimace, as if the very words ached. "I give you my blessing."

"No other woman could ever take your place," said Charles stubbornly. He clutched and squeezed her hand, kissing her cold knuckles. "Do you really think my heart could ever heal from this?" He shook his head, tears bubbling in his eyes. "I will not take another wife. For as long as I live, I will be loyal to you and no one, not even you, could make me break my vow."

Anne closed her eyes. "The children will need you," she said. "Felipe must be your strong right hand now, my love. Only let him prove himself to you, he will not disappoint. Maria and Juanita must be duly prepared for Portugal and the Empire. And do not forget our precious Juan in the Low Countries. Discuss his education with Maria, be sure he is not an idle Duke. Margarita and Catalina and Eduardo and Isabel, they are all so young and will need you. And Fernando…" She shook her head. "Were I stronger to speak of his fate, for it is not what I wanted, but still. He is the Emperor's son and when I meet with him again, I'm sure to see him in scarlet robes."

"Forgive me," he whispered, kissing her hand as he thought about Fernando and how angry Anne was when she learned of his fate. He'd much prefer anger and offence than this sad resolution that settled around them. "I will never forgive myself for all the pain that I've caused you."

"There is nothing to forgive," she insisted. "With you, I have been the most happy of women, Charles. Remember this when I am gone." She took a shallow breath, as deeply as she could manage. “Hold me. I want my last memory to be of your warm embrace.”

He obeyed quickly, faithfully. Charles embraced her, laying his head against his chest as he heard her heart thumping against his cheek. She felt warm still, her burning skin covered in cool sweat that did little to reassure him. He held her as tightly as he could, his heart racing. “I love you,” he whispered. “I love you more than anything in this world.”

She didn’t respond. Charles felt her heart beat on his face. He paid attention to it, counting and listening.

Thump thump thump. Thump…

And then, there was nothing. An empty silence, echoing against his face. No more rise and fall of a breathing chest, no more drum-like beats of a bleeding heart.

His heart raced in his chest and he looked up, desperate to see that he was mistaken. That she was still blinking and living and breathing. A knot grew in his throat and he looked at her, at her face and her far-off gaze staring into the open windows. The glaze of death had already taken her eyes.

“No,” he whispered, clutching at her. “No. No no no no no. No! NO!” It was as if the entire world had suddenly stopped, and he lost his balance, his centre. He pulled her to his chest, holding her close and she went limply, like a rag doll. A puppet without its strings. “No, Anne, don’t.”

He could scarcely breath, or cry. Something rose up in his chest, heavy and creating knots wherever it went. A guttural scream left his throat, then another and another. He cried, and screamed, because there was nothing else for him to do. No more happiness for him to enjoy.

With Anne gone, so was the light of his world.

Family Tree - Spanish Habsburgs
  • Emperor Charles V of the Holy Roman Empire (February 1500-) m. Anne Boleyn (1503-May 1536)
    1. Felipe, Prince of Asturias (April 1523-) b. Infanta Joana of Portugal (1520-);
    2. María of Austria (April 1524-) b. Afonso, Prince of Portugal (August 1522-);
    3. Juan, Duke of Burgundy (January 1526-) b. Elizabeth of England (June 1527-)
    4. Juana of Austria (December 1526-) b. Maximilian of Austria (July 1526-);
    5. Margarita of Austria (March 1529-);
    6. Catalina of Austria (November 1531-);
    7. Fernando of Austria (August 1533-);
    8. Eduardo of Austria (July 1534-);
    9. Isabel of Austria (May 1536-).

21st of May, 1536.
  • Barcelona, Catalonia. 21st of May, 1536.

He felt empty, like the husk of a sea-creature left behind on the shore. Its tennant gone, dead, decomposed, but the shell remained to be taken by a curious common child. Taken and played with, gifted to a mother or a loved one who deserved to have something pretty. As if it's destiny was to be a toy, as if it had never been anything before.

Charles walked forward slowly, all eyes turned to him and he felt nothing. Nothing at all. The world was dark, despite the sunlight streaming through the windows. Empty. He felt empty, as he saw Anne lying in state in the middle of the church. An embroidered sheet of lace covered her face and body, making her seem almost at peace. It was not her funeral, he wouldn't attend it either way, but he needed a moment alone with her to grieve.

Some guards were posted at the entrance, servants ready to help, but he ignored their presence. His eyes were focused, his mind devoid of anything that was not her.

His hand trembled as he reached forward. She looked strange, his Anne. They had brushed her hair, but did not pin up under her beloved hoods. Instead, it was carefully placed around her head, framing her face. Oh, how she'd have hated that. Showing one's hair was for virgins and whores, Anne always told him, and refused to follow the Iberian fashion. It irked him to see the silver and black tresses so freely, knowing that had she been alive, she would never have allowed such a thing. And she wasn't alive anymore to make her displeasure known.

He missed her. Charles closed his eyes and he felt tears slid down his face, warm and salty. Anne had a temper; he remembered every fight they had, every argument. She'd slap him once, when she found out about Germana. His cheek almost burned with the memory. Oh, how he missed that slap.

He missed her kisses most of all, and her eyes. Striking dark eyes, hooks for his soul. Charles fell in love with her eyes before he loved anything else about her. Anne's eyes were so dark, he could almost always see his own face reflected there. To see him as she saw, Charles could have almost fooled himself into thinking he was a good man.

His hand stopped before Anne's forehead. He could see the dark bags under her eyes that they had tried to hide with white lead and how skinny she was, even with her stomach still swollen from the pregnancy. It had been too much. Nine pregnancies was too much.

Charles remembered a story someone told him once. His uncle Juan, the Prince of Asturias and Girona, had died from too much intercourse with his hot-blooded wife. Everyone said so. His health was poor and he was unable to keep up. Charles wondered then. Had he killed Anne just as Aunt Margaret killed Juan?

He shook his head. Closed his eyes. Charles remembered Anne's promise to give him a thousand sons on the ship when they came to Spain, so many years before.

They were children then. He was twenty-two and Anne, nine and ten. Silly little children, thinking themselves the heros in a story. Romantic, even. Wasn't it? Star-crossed lovers fleeing from the tyrannical King Henry, who wished to drive them apart. Like Henri FitzEmpress and Rosamund, hiding from Queen Eleanor. He remembered knowing then that he had made the wrong choice in marrying Anne, but he thought it was because of the upheaval that it would cause. Not the pain her death would leave. The hole in his life nothing could fill.

His eyes returned to Anne's calm face. Eyes closed, cheeks painted red. "My love," he whispered, "If it were not a sin, I'd not hesitate to join you, and even still, the idea sounds appealing." Charles felt even more tears slip past his barriers, the knot in his throat growing and growing until he could scarcely breath. "Woe is me. I had gotten used to being someone you loved."

He touched her cheek through the lace and immediately brought his hand back. Her skin was cold, marble-like. A corpse, that's what she was. Her soul had gone to Heaven, where she awaited him, and what was left on the earth was nothing but a corpse. A shell. Charles shuddered and walked away.

Cardinal Tavera was without, waiting for him. His scarlet robes seemed far too bright at that moment, and Charles looked away. "Your Majesty," said Tavera with a bow.

Charles spoke through gritted teeth, unbelieving that he'd have to do such a thing, "The Empress is to be buried in Granada with my grandparents." Anne deserved nothing but the best and to lay next to the Catholic Monarchs, next to his own father… Well, no one would be able to say that she was not his true wife then. "Francesc de Borja is to accompany her there and make sure nothing happens to Her Majesty on the journey."

Tavera bowed as he nodded. "Yes, Your Majesty," he said.

The Emperor was not finished. "Lady Elizabeth and Sir Thomas are to travel with the children to Toledo immediately," he said.

"All of them, Your Majesty?" Tavera asked with wide eyes. "Doña Isabel is just an infant…"

"All of them," said Charles. "You will obey my orders, cardinal, or I will find someone else who will."

"Very well, my lord," said Tavera. "Is there anything else I may do for you, Your Majesty?"

"Yes," said Charles. "I'm leaving court, which means you are now to take the regency, Your Excellency."

The effect of his words was instantaneous. Cardinal Tavera stuttered, eyes wide. "You are leaving court, Your Majesty?" he asked, stumbling over his words. "But your children need you!"

"What they need is their mother," Charles answered, "And nothing will bring her back."

Charles did not allow Tavera to slip in another word of protest. He turned to walk back to his rooms, where he had already given orders for his servants to pack all of his belongings. He wanted to leave that night at the earliest, having already chosen the most isolated monastery in Catalonia to retire. There, he'd be alone, with his thoughts and all of his guilt.

But as he walked, he saw Margarita with one of her nurses in an otherwise empty corridor. His daughter was crying, her frail little body shaking in her black dress. When she turned to look at him, wanting to see who it was, all he saw was Anne's face and Anne's eyes filled with tears.

"Papa!" she called out, raising her arms.

Charles said nothing. He merely turned around and walked away.

31st of May, 1536.
  • Vienna, Austria. 31st of May, 1536.

“I’m serious!” George exclaimed with a false offended tone, hand to his chest. “It wounds me that you do not believe me.”

“Forgive me, George, but you simply did not tell the king to bugger off when you left England,” said Ferdinand, chuckling. He brought a cup of wine to his mouth, his third in the last hour and George shook his head as he did so. “There is no way.”

“That is impossible,” Anna murmured. “You’d have lost your head for it.”

“Henry Tudor certainly tried, but I got on the ship faster than he could sign a warranty for arrest,” George said. “He knew, of course, that he could never catch me. That he could never take the head of the Empress’ brother.”

“Oh, and you’d believe my dear brother would have gone to war for the offence?” Ferdinand asked. “Charles was more likely to ask for whatever inheritance you could have left to his wife.”

George shook his head. “Anne would have convinced him,” he said, “Or else, we might now have an Infante Jorge instead of one named Fernando. Either way, I win.”

“Ah, I see,” Ferdinand commented as he stood up, drunkenly swaying in his feet. Anna giggled and offered a hand to help him, but she was just as intoxicated as him, as they all were, so he moved away from her. “This is all jealousy that our shared nephew has my name instead of yours.”

“It’s not jealousy, but merely a suggestion,” said George with glinting dark eyes. “All who know us are aware that I am the better choice.”

“The better choice?” Ferdinand repeated with a frown. “May I remind you that you are talking to the King of Hungary and Bohemia?”

“It’s not about titles, it’s about charm,” said George. He stood up as well, his lithe body graceful and elegant. Ferdinand felt his mouth dry. He looked at the Queen. “Dearest Anna, do you disagree?"

"I love you both equally," Anna responded, feet resting over a cushioned seat. She had recently given birth to another daughter for Ferdinand, little and sickly Margarethe, and was still rather exhausted from the birth. "And I ask to be removed from this conversation."

"Ah, she doesn't want to hurt your feelings," Ferdinand said with a drawl as George turned to him, probably to say the same.

The two men sat back lazily, bodies exhausted after standing and laughing around for much of the night. And drinking. Oh, had they been drinking, like they were adolescents once again. Not men of thirty with children to raise and love.

A servant scurried inside to whisper in Anna's ear and Ferdinand opened his eyes, having not realized they were closed. He watched as his wife stood up and walked out, the servant behind her. "What is happening?" he croaked out.

"Just a second, Ferdinand," said George. Or was it Anna? His eyes were closed again and he couldn't tell. He felt as if the room was spinning, the entire world was spinning and he couldn't keep up. "Ferdinand, my love? Could you come here please?"

He stood up and moved, knees weak. He found Anna in the antechamber with a servant. Ferdinand saw that his wife was holding a letter in his hand and when he walked to her, he stumbled and she rolled her eyes.

"My love?" he repeated with a grin. "You only call me that when you want to make another babe." When he moved to kiss her, Anna shoved him away.

"Not now," she hissed, looking at the servant. The man bowed and ran away, probably mindful of respecting his liege's privacy. With him gone, Anna turned to Ferdinand with angry eyes and he knew that he was in trouble. "Read this, if you can."

He couldn't. It was dark and his eyes couldn't focus, at least not in that moment. When he looked up, Anna had a hand on her hip. "What is it?" he asked.

"Your sister-in-law, the Empress has died in childbirth," she murmured, not unkindly. "It seems her body utterly gave up after she had a daughter, now named the Archduchess Isabel."

With that, Ferdinand was sober. He looked at the door that led to George, how oblivious he was to it all.

"This will break him," he murmured. Anna walked to him and laced their fingers.

"We will tell him together and be there for him," she said. Ferdinand nodded.

When he saw them entering together, George looked at them with wide eyes, holding a metal cup halfway to his mouth, sloshing with wine. "What is it?" he asked. "Is there something wrong?"

Ferdinand knelt beside him. "We must tell you something," he said, laying his hand over George's. "Something that will hurt."

"You're scaring me," he murmured, turning to Anna. She placed her hand on his shoulder as softly as one could manage.

"I am so sorry, my dear," she said, "But your sister, the Empress, has died in her childbed."

George leaned back.

"You're lying," he murmured, even as his eyes filled with tears. Even as he shook his head, refusing to believe. "You're lying. How could you do this to me?"

"I'm not lying," said Anna. "I am so sorry, George. We are here for whatever you need."

George stood up on trembling legs, shoving Ferdinand away when he tried to help, when he tried to comfort him. "George…" the King of Hungary murmured.

He turned with wide eyes and a pale face, his chest rising and falling desperately. "Stop trying to trick me!" George demanded, tears falling down his face. "Stop lying! Is this a joke? Is this-is this some sort of jest to you? Anne is not dead!"

"It's not," Ferdinand said, approaching slowly, as one might do to a wounded animal. "My friend, I'm deeply sorry, but you know it's true. You know it."

George took on a shaking and deep breath, looking around himself and feeling trapped. He clutched his throat, a knot growing and preventing words, air or even a cry from going in or out. His stomach rumbled and he turned, falling to his knees and retching in an empty chamber pot that had been left in the corner. He coughed, wheezing with sadness and when Ferdinand tried to embrace him, he shoved at him. Or tried to.

He punched the air and Ferdinand merely held him, stroking his back. "No!" George screamed. "She was my sister. She was my sister and my best friend… and the bastard killed her. He killed her!"

"Don't say that," Ferdinand whispered, hugging him. "Don't say that, it's treason."

But George was beyond caring. He shook his head as he wept, wetting Ferdinand's doublet with his tears. Weakly, the Duke of Württemberg mumbled his sister's name over and over again, like a prayer, or a promise. Ferdinand stayed with him on the ground, stroking his back and whispering back words of condolences, and promises of support. At last, when George had finally exhausted himself from crying and entered a tired and feverish sleep, he and Anna moved the sleeping form to their bed. Together. His wife took George's shoes off and he undid his doublet as best as he could, trying to make him comfortable.

Together, they removed George's rings and then, after they undressed and dressed in their nightclothes, they joined him in bed. Both of them embracing him, a quiet trio of loved ones. A three-headed beast, mourning one of their own.

--

El Vendrell, Catalonia. 2nd of June, 1536.

Felipe kicked at the ground angrily. A stray pebble flicked over, tickling against the stony ground and he felt nothing but rage as he stared at it.

At the corner of the corridor, the tall and dark-haired man scoffed, walking to him. "What has that stone ever done to you?" Sir Thomas asked.

Felipe glared at him.

"What do you want?" he asked with a snarl, feeling more like a wounded animal than a boy, or a prince.

"I wish to talk to you," said his grandfather. His eyes were dark, like the Empress' were once and Felipe looked away, wanting to walk out.

But Sir Thomas boldly placed his hand on his shoulder, making him turn to look at him. "Let go of me! I'm the Prince, you can't touch me!" Felipe shoved at him, but his grandfather didn't even budge. He barely even moved, clutching his shoulder and pulling him close.

"You're my grandson," Sir Thomas replied. "You're my blood, Philip."

"My name is not Philip," Felipe said. "It's Felipe and I'm named after my grandfather, the King of Castile. I'm not English!"

"You are just as much English as you are Castilian," his grandfather replied. "Maybe even more." He pulled him close, stroking his dark hair that matched and Felipe found himself unable to push him away. He embraced his grandfather, because he realized, suddenly, that he smelled like his mother. "You're hurting, boy, just as much as I am."

"Father sent us away!" Felipe cried in English. "He sent us away so he could retire in that monastery. What did I do to make him treat me like this?"

"You did nothing," Sir Thomas replied. He stepped away from Felipe and knelt on the ground so he could look him in the eye. "Your father loved your mother more than life itself. His heart is broken."

"My heart is broken too," Felipe said, unable to breathe, "And Margarita said… She said…"

"I know what she said," said Thomas Boleyn. He cupped Felipe's face and there, he saw Anne's nose. Her cheekbones, her strength and her stubbornness. He smiled. "You remind me of your mother and I think your father feels the same, but whereas I take joy in this fact, he feels nothing but pain. And shame."

"Why shame?" Felipe asked. "My mother was his chosen Empress. Their love story will inspire a thousand poems, everyone said so."

"I do not know," his grandfather said. "One day, he will regret what he has done. He will regret staying away from you."

"She was your daughter," murmured Felipe, "And yet, here you are."

"And yet, here I am," his grandfather repeated. "For much of her life, Anne was away from me. First, when I worked as an ambassador, then when she lived in the Low Countries. I think I became accustomed to remembering her by the little things."

"The little things?" Felipe asked.

As a response, his grandfather offered a hand. Nestled in his palm, Felipe saw his mother's pearl necklace with a golden B for Boleyn. His heart raced and he took it, mouth dry.

"For you," Thomas whispered. "Never forget where you came from, my boy."

Felipe pulled the necklace close. "I won't," he promised.

It was already night when he returned to the nursery in the manor they were staying, resting before they continued their trip to Toledo. In his chest, his mother's B necklace glowed with the light from the hearth as Felipe oversaw his younger siblings. Margarita was sharing a bed with María, the two girls cuddling, skinny arms wrapped around each other with Juanita curled at their feet. Catalina and Fernando were holding hands as well, their clasped fists dangling in the space between their beds, while Eduardo and Isabel slept in their own cradles. The nursery was too small to hold all of them, and probably, none of them truly cared about that. Felipe knew he didn't.

As he looked over his siblings, the Prince of Asturias decided: he'd keep them all safe, for his mother.

Last edited:
    10th of June, 1536.
  • Lisbon, Portugal. 10th of June, 1536.

To my dearest cousin,

I was so very sorry to hear about your mother’s passing. The Empress was a good woman and her like will not be seen again for many years, I dare say. Or even ever again. I know how much you loved Her Majesty and if there is anything I can do, please let me know. Since the Empress was so well-thought of here, I took the liberty to sponsor a mass in her name and used my own allowance to pay for alms for her soul. Mamãe told me that I did well, but she doesn’t know that I didn’t do it to be seen as a gracious niece, but rather, because of you.

We are to be married. The Empress was not just my aunt, but I hoped to, one day, love her as much as I love my own mother. Your pain is my own, cousin, and I am ever at your service. I say, once again, that if there is anything I can do to alleviate your grief, let me know.

Your loving betrothed,

Joana.

--

17th of June, 1536.

Dearest Joana,

I thank you for your letter. It pleases me to see that even those who did not know my mother were touched by her kindness and charities. All she ever wanted was to do good on the world and be loved, no matter what. I know I loved her with all my heart and still do. There is nothing that you can do beyond be yourself, and continue writing your letters to me, for they are a source of great comfort to me.

We are to be married, that is true, even if there is still a year until I turn fourteen and am allowed to marry in the eyes of the church. Such a knowledge keeps me going, every new day seems easier than the one before, because at least, no matter what, I know that I’m still here. That I am still Prince of Asturias and that one day, I will still marry a beautiful Infanta of Portugal, the eldest child of the richest king in Christendom. Somehow, that makes my mother’s sacrifice seem worth it. Through me, and you, and our children, the Empress founded a line of kings. And queens too, I think.

Although I wouldn’t call my sister Isabel unworthy of her position. I know you did not ask about her, but still, I find myself needing to talk about her. She is a sweet baby, with my mother’s black eyes and golden-red hair that everyone says is from our shared ancestor and her namesake, Queen Isabella. Or maybe Queen Catherine of Aragon, the mother to our cousin Marie. She is the only one of my siblings with this type of hair and I think it only makes her look more special.

I do not blame her at all for our mother’s death. In fact, I almost pity her. The Empress was such a good woman, such a loving mother and it seems to me that the greatest tragedy is that Isabel will never feel her gentle kisses, or her warm embraces. Ever. So no, I don’t blame my sister. The fault for my mother’s death lies with someone else.

Forgive me if I ramble. I believe it is the friendship that has blossomed between us, the love that will surely grow when we meet, for I feel free to talk to you about every sort of minor matter. Every word that pops into my head. We have now reached a small village named Santa Eulalia del Campo, where we are resting from our journey to Toledo. My sister María has taken ill too and our grandparents think it best for us to stay here until she gets better, which I’m confident will be soon enough. I can’t imagine losing María so soon after our mother.

Either way, this letter has grown too long, surely. I leave you with my sorrowful thanks, and a request for another letter from you. Maybe even another painting?

Your betrothed,

Felipe.

Joana sighed as she finished the letter, pressing the wrinkled paper close to her heart. Was it silly to think of herself in love with a boy she had never met? In truth, she didn't know, but she didn't really care.

18th of June, 1536.
  • Santa Eulalia del Campo, Aragon. 18th of June, 1536.

Elizabeth tried not to cry as she pressed the cold cloth to her granddaughter’s forehead. In response, María tried to swat her hand away, groaning in pain as her feverish body moved too strenuously for her state. She fell back against the bed, eyes closed and forehead covered in sweat and her grandmother sighed, leaning forward to continue her work. As they waited for a physician to arrive, there was little she could do except try to abate María’s fever with cold water from the river.

If only it was winter, Elizabeth thought. Then they could surely send someone to gather snow for a snow pack. It was dangerous, of course. María would have to be reheated quickly to prevent loss of a limb, but it would be much more effective in lowering her fever.

María moved her head, exposing the skin of her neck, her blonde hair clinging to her nape. Usually, her skin was the most perfect white, without blemishes, but Elizabeth could see the red rash covering her, as it has done for the last five days. She knew, even without checking once again, the rough aspect of it to the touch. Her flushed cheeks and pale mouth. Even when they try to feed her, the scarlet tone of her tongue would have caused anyone to fear.

Even her neck was swollen, surely a sign that her tonsils were affected. For a moment, Elizabeth had even thought she had the mumps, but none of the other symptoms fit. And she was just a noble lady, a governess to the imperial children, a grandmother. She had no idea what could be affecting her granddaughter.

“Oh, my girl,” she murmured. “My sweet girl, what is wrong with you?”

María moved her head again, groaning. Tears slid down her face as she mumbled, “Mama… Mama.”

Poor child. The fever had made her delirious. It was not the first time she called for Anne, not even the tenth in fact. The Empress was a common request from María, just as she once tried to get out of bed to attend mass even though it was the middle of the night. Or when she asked after the Emperor and when he'd return from the Low Countries.

Poor, poor child. Elizabeth had written to the Emperor, just as she wrote to Barcelona and Zaragoza, asking for physicians to be sent. María was an Infanta of Castile and Aragon, an archduchess of Austria. They had to help her.

But Santa Eulalia del Campo was quite an isolated city on the way from Barcelona to Toledo and Elizabeth did not think the messengers had even reached their destination yet. Another man had been sent last night, to find a bigger city and search for any sort of person with medicinal knowledge. Anything to save dear María.

She stayed there for hours before anyone came to see her. María was isolated from the other children and Elizabeth had confined herself as well, unwilling to see anyone else care for her granddaughter. She fed her, cleaned her. Did everything one ought to do to a newborn babe, though this time, it was to her twelve-year-old granddaughter.

So it was a surprise when the door suddenly opened and a man came in, holding a large leather bag. He was short, and thick about the waist, with a balding head. Elizabeth Boleyn stood up suddenly.

"Who are you?" she asked, looking at the still open door. No one else came in. “What are you doing here?”

“My name is Juan Hernández, my lady,” he said with a small bow. “I am a physician from Teruel.” He nodded at the child in the bed. “I’m here to attend to Infanta María.”

“Of course,” said Elizabeth with a relieved gasp. “Please, please, do everything you can to save her.” He nodded and moved to start working, setting his bag aside.

He examined María slowly, but efficiently. Elizabeth watched as he pressed the back of his hand to her forehead, and when he touched her swollen neck, unbothered by María’s angry swats at him. He seemed to be muttering something to himself, like a scribe taking notes, and Elizabeth held her breath.

It seemed like an hour had passed when he came to talk to her, hiding his hands in his sleeves. “My lady, I believe the Infanta has rossalia. I saw it during my studies in Sicily. Some are likely to call it scarlet fever.”

Elizabeth held her breath. “What can be done about it, doctor?” she asked. “No cost is too great.”

He moved his shoulders, almost like a shrug, but Elizabeth didn’t want to believe he would be so… blase about María’s care. “At this point, there is nothing that can be done, but wait for the Infanta to recover on her own,” he said. “We may help Her Highness by continuing to give her foods and drinks, and trying to keep her fever under control, but beyond that…”

He didn’t need to say anything else. Elizabeth understood him. Beyond that, María had nothing but her own strength of mind and body to recover. And her grandmother could only hope that it would be enough.

27th of June, 1536.
  • Monasterio de San Pedro el Viejo, Aragon. 27th of June, 1536.

Oh Lord, grant me peace.

The same thought that had plagued him for weeks did not leave him for even a brief moment, for just one respite, however small. Charles could not stop thinking about her, his darling wife with the striking black eyes that he could drown in. And the many times he failed her.

Every night, Charles dreamt Anne was still alive. It was always a calm and peaceful sleep, for his unconscious body finally had what it so desired. He dreamt of her dark hair, her perfect French and the stubborn wrinkle in her brow whenever she misunderstood something in Castilian. He thought he would never forget those parts of her, the little things that made her Anne Boleyn, instead of Kaiserin Anna. He prayed he wouldn’t, in fact.

He woke up with a startled gasp, alone in a small and confined room at an isolated monastery in Huesca. He had once hoped that such a place would keep him away from his own guilt, the thing that ate him away on the inside, but it didn't. If anything, the guilt only increased, multiplied by tenfold as his own thoughts were all that he had to occupy his mind. And the memories.

It was still dark outside, but Charles knew that sleep would not claim him again. It was only rarely that he was able to sleep, when his body succumbed to exhaustion, because he could not truly rest. No, rest would come to him only when those olive-skinned arms wrapped around him, his head laying over a warm breast and Anne sang an English song to lull him to sleep. Only then, and never again, would he truly rest.

He stood up and paced about the room, like a caged animal. Charles thought about kneeling down and praying, it was all he had done since he left court, but he couldn’t. Not again. He couldn’t ask for a reprieve from his grief, because he knew it would not work. The Lord would not grant him his request.

He had sinned, and he had to atone.

Charles walked to one of the chests pushed against the wall, unlocking it with the key on his neck. His hands trembled as he reached forward to grab the first thing he could, an old dress of Anne’s. Green silk, from her days in England that she wore during the more relaxed moments of court. He pressed it to his nose and inhaled.

The smell was still there. Anne was still there, with him, in some small way. He closed his eyes.

He remembered his dream then. It took him back to the good and warm days of their trek to Toledo, after they arrived in Santander. Anne enjoyed kissing him, she wanted him to visit her bed every night, but that was not proper. Oh, how he regretted not indulging her then. He should have done so, spoiled her more. Seen her more. They spent more time apart than they did together and he was not the husband she deserved.

If he could turn back time and do things differently, he would. He'd stay in Castile or bring her to the Low Countries with him, the cortes' decision notwithstanding. He'd be with her for every waking moment and he'd enjoy the time with her more than he had.

Charles opened his eyes. Brought the dress close to his chest and sighed. Anne, Anne, Anne. He missed her like a limb, like they had buried his heart with her and he was left to walk the earth without one. Until the day they were reunited in Heaven.

--

Capilla Real de Granada, Andalusia. 1st of July, 1536.

The air was dry and stale around him, the result of so many months without rain. Francesc de Borja walked slowly into the chapel before him, the lead coffin following him with his procession. The procession that had crossed through the kingdoms of Spain, allowing the people to see and mourn for she who had been their Queen for fourteen good years. He stopped when he saw the priests waiting for him, wearing mourning robes for the Empress.

Francesc remembered it all. The Empress had not been well-loved when she came to Castile, mostly for having taken the place that many saw as rightfully belonging to a granddaughter of Reina Isabel, but the people had grown used to her. To her charities, to her regencies. Soon enough, many forgot what life was like without her and even those that hated her could not deny the tragedy of her death, leaving nine motherless children behind and a heartbroken husband to miss her. And him.

The people of Spain had cried when they passed, bowing respectfully for one final time to her. Anne Boleyn. She who had once been queen on earth and would now be a queen in Heaven.

His heart stuttered in his chest and he turned to look away, to look at the people that now slowly placed the coffin on the floor. Francesc knew what he was supposed to do, he had to recognize the corpse before he entrusted it to the monks who’d guard it until the time came for her burial. He nodded for his own servants to remove the cover of the coffin and he stepped forward, observing the body covered in perfumed linens to ward off the smell of rotting flesh.

He took a deep breath and tried to calm himself. The Empress had been gone for many weeks and yet, Francesc had not yet made his peace with it. To him, the pain had never left and his heart ached just as it did on the very first day.

“Where are, Sacred Majesty, the brightness and happiness of your face? Where are those extreme grace and beauty? Are you that doña Ana? Are you my Empress, my Lady?” he asked for her and for no one in particular. Francesc turned to the monks. “I can’t in good conscience swear that this is the Empress, but I do so swear that it is her cadaver which lies here." He looked at the banners, bearing the coat of arms of the Empress and her own sigil, a falcon with a pomegranate and her motto. Let them grumble, that is how it is going to be. His heart ached, forever broken. “And I swear that I shall never again serve a master that may die.”

Last edited:
    12th of July, 1536.
  • Windsor Palace, England. 12th of July, 1536.

“Here, mother,” said John, dutifully handing her a goblet of mulled wine. Isabella nodded, removing her head from where it was resting over her hands, and accepted the offered drink. She sipped it slowly, not trusting herself not to drain the liquid and she felt as her headache slowly receded, the drumming at her temples lessening to a mild rhythm. “Better?”

“Yes,” she said. “Much. Thank you, my love.” John nodded and smiled, walking around her to sit down on the carved chair before her. Isabella brought the cup back to her lips, taking another sip and she rubbed the tender spot at her forehead, though she still raised her eyes to look at him.

John had eyes full of worry as he looked at her, especially because Isabella had taken leave of the feast to celebrate the betrothal between Lady Margaret Tudor and Prince Frederik of Denmark early, due to her headaches. Isabella had always been frail, always prone to fevers, but the music and the dancing and the excitement had been too much for her.

“Do not look at me like that, my king,” said Isabella. “You are a boy and I’m your mother. It is I who should be worrying over you, not you over me.” She shook her head, leaning back against the chair. “Feasts are for the young, they have always been so. I shall be better in the morning.”

“Should I not fret over mine own mother?” John asked with a cheeky smile. “The Lord commanded us to honour thy father and thy mother. I do so by worrying over your health, and making sure that the Queen of England remains well.”

Isabella smiled. “I shall not be Queen of England for much longer, my dear,” she said. “Soon enough, you will be married and I will gladly step aside to let your wife shine.”

John rolled his eyes and stood up to fill his own cup, waving away the page that stepped forward to do so. “Everyone says so and yet I have no wife lined up for me take when I turn fourteen,” he said arrogantly. “Should I just take whatever one I fancy from the streets?”

“You’re drunk,” said Isabella, taking his goblet from his hands. John made a sound of complaint, something almost like a childish whine taken from the gone days of his childhood, but didn’t move to take the cup back. Instead, he sat once again, closing his eyes. “I have already offered to find a suitable bride for you, since it has seemed clear that we will not find one in Portugal. You refused me.”

“I can’t just marry anyone,” said John, hand to his forehead. “I’m the King of England, aren’t I?”

Isabella nodded. “You are,” she said. “There are not many girls of sufficient high-birth to marry you, but we can certainly find one that is suitable. The daughter of the Duke of Württemberg is without a betrothal after the death of young Theodor of Bavaria. Her father is English and I believe she will not have difficulties with the language or the culture.”

“Anna Bullen will marry the new heir to Bavaria, everyone says so,” John easily dismissed. “Isn’t there anyone else?”

“I do not know,” Isabella admitted. “In six months, you will be a king in truth, my son. Crowned and anointed before the Lord. Mayhaps by then, new offers will have been made and the woman that will sit on the throne beside you will be a clear choice for all of us. Until then…” She shrugged. “I suppose there is not much we can do.”

John nodded, slurring out an agreement. Isabella smiled and waved at a servant who’d help her son back to his bed. Poor boy, he never really drank wine, but she imagined without his mother there to supervise him, he felt free enough to do so and act kingly. Henry never truly shied away from wine, beer or even ale.

As her son was dragged to his bed, Isabella stayed there, tapping her fingers against her cup. She pondered and pondered over the matter. There were the many imperial daughters, but with the Empress so recently dead, Isabella would not risk being callous and suggest the match, even if it might please the Emperor to send one of his girls to their mother’s homeland. No, John’s queen would have to come from some other place.

But where? There were the Polish princesses, Anna Jagiellon was a few months younger than John, but could they even be considered of sufficient rank for a King of England? Descendant from great royal houses on both sides? Their mother was just a Sforza, her father having been deposed. Isabella didn’t think it would be smart, but if need arise, then maybe they would have to do so. She just hoped it wouldn’t.

--

Edinburgh, Scotland. 20th of July, 1536.

James kept his eyes closed, bringing the cup of wine to his mouth. He tilted his head back as he felt the liquid slosh down his throat, slipping from the corner of his lips and staining his shirt. The air felt heavy around him, weighed down by grief and sadness and when he opened his eyes, he found his cousin Alexander staring at him.

“Answer me something, cousin,” James requested. “What grave sins do children commit?”

Alexander frowned. “Your Majesty?” he asked. “I fear I do not understand you.”

“What sort of sin can a child commit?” James asked again. “What sort of sin warrants the death of my sweet babies, Arthur and Anne? What could they have done for them to die such painful deaths?” It had been less than a month since two of his three children perished of smallpox, the court was still in mourning and Anna, poor dear Anna with her gentle heart, had yet to leave her rooms in grief. “Tell me, cousin, why would the Lord take them from me?”

Alexander hesitated.

“I don’t know, Your Majesty,” he said with as much truth as he could manage. “Sometimes, the work of God is not for us to question, but to accept and do with it as we must.”

James looked at him with those round blue eyes of his and took another hearty gulp of his wine before letting the cup fall to the table, nodding. “I suppose you’re right,” he said. “I suppose and I should be thankful that my heir remains in this world, healthy and hale.” Jimmy was under the guardianship of the Earl of Mar when his siblings grew sick and he remained isolated during most of the epidemic in Scotland. James should be thankful for it.

And yet he is not.

“There will be other children, Your Majesty,” said Alexander. “The King and Queen are still young.” James nodded; that much was true.

“But can one child gained replace another that was lost?” he asked.

Alexander could not answer him. They both already knew the answer.

Family Tree - Stewarts
  • James V of Scotland (April 1512-) m. Anna von Kleve (1515-)
    1. James, Duke of Rothesay (May 1531-) b. Eleanor of England (September 1531-);
    2. Arthur, Duke of Ross (1532-1536). Died of smallpox;
    3. Anne Stewart (July 1534-July 1536). Died of smallpox.

8th of August, 1536.
  • Toledo, Castile. 8th of August, 1536.

María had hardly stepped a single foot off the carriage before her brother came running to her, a gentlemanly hand stretched forward. She sighed even before Felipe said, "Be careful," in that worried tone of his.

"I'm fine," said María. "You don't have to fret over me at every second." But even as she walked away from him, the infanta felt a wave of dizziness overtake her, making her stumble. Felipe was right behind her and he grabbed her elbow, waving a guard in.

"You heard what the physician said, sister," her brother said. "Your heart has taken on too much stress. You shouldn't overextend yourself."

"Surely, I can walk inside without needing to be treated like a baby," María responded as Felipe helped her into the alcazar, supporting with a strong hand.

"But you are a baby, María," said Felipe. "My baby sister."

She tried to swat him away, but with her weak heart and his quick reflexes, her brother was easily able to walk around the slap. María sighed and continued walking to her bedroom, as she knew well that all her other siblings were being settled at their residence. Though without having Felipe fret over them like a mother hen, of course.

"Isabel is the baby, tonto," she told him. "Not me."

"I'm the eldest," Felipe said with a smug grin. "You are all babies to me."

She knew why he was doing this. It was because of love, because he did not wish to lose her as well, but María hated to be treated like glass. Yes, she had gotten sick and her heart took the brunt of the illness, but she wished they looked at her like they did in the old days. Instead of grandmother always averting her eyes when she can spend hardly twenty minutes standing without a rest, or grandfather talking about hiring physicians from China or something to heal her.

But it would not happen, she knew. Not until her heart returned to what it was before and the physician from Teruel said that might never happen. She was broken now, fragile and she hated that as much as she could with her weak constitution.

Felipe helped her to her bed and María sagged in relief against the fluffy pillows, even if they smelled rather musty after so many months without use. Her brother pulled a chair to sit beside her, playing with the rings on his fingers.

"What is it?" María asked. He frowned.

"What makes you think there is something?" he replied, an edge to his words. María arched a pale golden eyebrow.

"I know you, brother," she said. "You only fiddle with your rings when you are worried." She pressed her lips in a firm line. "Tell me, what is it?"

"Our cousin Joana is set to travel here so we may be wed in April," said Felipe, "And the entourage bringing her here will return to Portugal with you."

María nodded. "Yes, I know," she said. "Is that what's troubling you?" Felipe shook his head.

"Mama died because her heart could not handle another pregnancy," he said. "She was too weak." He chewed on his lower lip. "What if the same happens to you too?"

"Mama died because the Lord wanted to have her by his side," María answered. It was something that she said to herself many times over the past three months, wanting to be at peace with the fact. "If He decides that it is time for me to go as well, then there is nothing for us to do but accept it."

"I may be able to prevent it," said Felipe. "I'm thirteen now. When Joana comes, I will take the regency, everyone says so."

"The regency?" María repeated and he nodded. "Won't our lord father come to court?"

Felipe looked away with a dark and angry expression. Their father had been a sore subject between them since their mother died, for her brother could never truly forgive him. María felt bad for even mentioning the Emperor but she was curious and confused. She had to know.

"Grandfather told me that our father is going to return to the Low Countries," he said, jaw tense. "To be with our brother Juan, his perfect little duke."

"Felipe…" María started, but he didn't let her finish.

"When Joana comes, I will try to delay the Portuguese from taking you to Lisbon," her brother said. "Maybe a year or two, who knows. Give you enough time to recover before you marry our cousin and become his broodmare."

"Felipe," said María again. "Don't speak like that."

He shrugged. "Either way, I will not lose you like we lost Mother," he said. "I swear it, sister."

--

Alcochete, Portugal. 12th of August, 1536.

Joana had a smile on her face when she walked into the great hall of her grandfather's birthplace, her heart full of joy and love. She found her father and uncle Henrique drinking beer together, speaking in hushed tones.

"I can hardly keep away from baby Jorge," Joana exclaimed, causing both her father and uncle to turn to her. She curtsied for the king before moving to sit next to him, Father wrapping an arm around her waist to tug her close. "He is so cute!"

"I can't disagree with you, Dona Joana," said the Duke of Aveiro. "Jorge has inherited all of my wife's beauty and Carlos' charm."

"And he is a healthy lad to boot," the King responded. "I talked to his governess and she says his wet nurse seems much drained by the infante."

Tio Henrique widened his eyes when his brother finished his sentence. "You spoke with Jorge's governess?"

"Well, of course," said João III. "Dearest brother, you wound me. You know how much I love my family." Father turned to look at Joana, a grin curling his lips. "Speaking of family, you'll be with your own child soon and make me a proud grandfather."

Joana thought to roll her eyes, but that would be disrespectful before the king, so she didn't. "Aunt Eleonora said I shouldn't start the trek to Castile before the first anniversary of the Empress' death," she said. "She said it's disrespectful to her memory."

Father tugged at her earlobe teasingly just as her uncle laughed, bringing the beer to his lips. "I'm half afraid you will soon start speaking in an Italian accent with how much you talk to the Duchess of Aveiro," the King said.

"Papai, por favor," Joana exclaimed with a stubborn roll of her eyes. João laughed, being in a good mood, and ignored the slight. "Is it wrong to love my aunt?"

"No, of course not," the King answered. "I'm just teasing you, querida. You must know that." He tugged her earlobe again. "You're sixteen already, my dearest Joana. Soon enough, you will go and leave Portugal and all I shall have are letters from you."

"But they will be plenty of letters!" Joana insisted. "I shall write to you every week, Father, if only because I can't write to you every day. And mama said that Your Majesties will accompany me as far as Castelo Branco."

"Did she?" João asked. That was the first he was hearing of it. Joana nodded with earnest blue eyes. "Well, I suppose a queenly promise can't be broken, can it?"

"No, it can't," his daughter said. "And have you written to the Emperor to ask for Lazúli to be allowed to come with me, papa?"

Oh. Lazúli, the bird. João had forgotten all about it. He grimaced and shook his head, trying not to crumble upon Joana's trembling pout. He was always weak when it came to her, his eldest child. Leonor often complained about how much he spoiled her.

"I forgot, but do not worry, my love," he said, taking her hand in his to press a kiss to her knuckles. "As soon as I am able, I shall write to Cardinal Tavera so that he may know how important Lazúli is for the peace between our countries."

Joana took a deep breath and nodded, visibly relaxing. She could not imagine a life in Toledo without that bird. He was a gift from papa and in a country without him as king, he only became more precious.

Last edited:
    1st of September, 1536.
  • Flanders, Low Countries. 1st of September, 1536.

Maria stood beside her nephew in the great hall of the ducal palace. Juan was a boy of ten now with blonde hair and striking blue eyes, tall for his age and he wore a doublet of black velvet with white strings sewn into his lapel, a dark feathered hat over his head. He was handsome and hale, with a healthy glow to his face though with a pronounced lower lip more visible than the reports of his older brother claimed. It made him look eternally pouting and wasn't as deformed as his father's, which the entire Burgundian state thanked for.

Juan was expected to rule over them in an independent state to stand between the Empire and the Kingdom of France, protecting their entire family. Not a vassal of Castile or even of Austria, but as a true Burgundian ruler. Standing on his own rights, second son of the emperor. Making his own decisions.

When her brother summoned her to the Low Countries to be regent in his name after their aunt died, Maria had to admit that she hated it. She didn't want to stay in Hungary with the memories of Lajos and István but neither did she wish to take up the rule in her grandmother's lands, caring for her nephew and niece. Why would she? Why would anyone choose a life where the fate of so many souls rested upon their hands? She didn't know.

But Charles promised her it was only temporary. Only until Juan turned fourteen, where he would then take the rule for himself and become the true Duke of Burgundy that he was destined to be. Maria counted the days until such a thing would happen, until she could retire as a respectable widow in the countryside. She was eager for it. For peace of mind and of her days.

The trumpets bellowed as the herald announced the arrival of Charles of Austria, Duke of Burgundy, Luxembourg and Brabant, Lord of the Netherlands, King of Castile and Aragon and Holy Roman Emperor. Maria stepped back slightly so she could curtsy as deeply as possible, Juan doing much of the same beside her and her brother entered the room.

In truth, Maria didn't know what she expected. The last time she saw Charles was soon after the birth of her nephew, Infante Eduardo. Then, her brother was a tall and fearsome fellow, though not exactly handsome. He commanded respect wherever he went, always wearing the finest velvets, silks, sables and ermine. That was a brother, a King-Emperor to fear and love.

But the man that came her way was neither commanding nor fearsome. He had Charles' face but there were dark bags under his eyes, almost as if he had not slept at all in weeks and his cheeks looked sunken-in. Gaunt, really. His entire body looked ravaged by grief, his form moving forward on trembling legs weakened by gout. Maria tried to keep her face, thanking years of royal training under her aunt and grandfather for not letting the shock show and stepped forward to meet her brother halfway.

"Dearest brother," she said, offering him a hand as she swept down in another curtsy, "Welcome to Flanders. Allow me to be the first to offer my condolences on the tragic death of Empress Anne."

Charles squeezed her hand, though his face remained impassive. Maria cursed their estranged years for not being able to read his expression or the darkness behind his eyes. She had no doubt that Leonor or even Elisabeth, her poor sister, would instantly know what was wrong with him.

"Thank you, Maria," the Emperor said with a calm tone. "The death of my wife was an acheful stab, though much soothed by the survival of our beautiful children." He took advantage of the moment to step around her, leading himself to Juan right behind her. “My beloved son, how it pleases me to see you.”

Juan blinked as he looked up at his father. “It pleases me greatly to see you as well, my lord father,” he said with a soft and childish voice. “I’m happy that we may grieve for my lady mother together.”

Charles nodded, even though his eyes looked faraway.

--

Tyrol, Austria. 12th of October, 1536.

Ferdinand found George in the royal chapel. He had been spending much time there as of late, since news came from Spain that his sister had perished and, though Ferdinand wouldn’t deny him the chance to turn to faith to grieve the Empress, he had to admit that the act confused him.

George had never been a religious man and in the many years they knew each other, Ferdinand would not be strange to think he had seen him pray less than ten times, but still. The loss of a loved one often made men turn to God for answers, for understanding.

The Duke of Württemberg sat before an altar to the Holy Mary, his shoulders tense and hunched forward. Ferdinand rubbed his fingers together as he walked between the pews, trying to remain calm. George didn’t react to his presence until he sat beside him, taking a deep shuddering breath as Ferdinand knocked their shoulders together.

"What is wrong?" he asked gently.

"I'm just thinking," George said, not looking at him. Ferdinand noticed the leather-bound book in his hands.

He nodded at it. "What is that?"

He showed him the first page, dark words printed on paper. The Obedience of a Christian Woman, and the relation between wives, mothers and girls with the Lord.

“Who is the author?” he asked. “Tynsdale?”

George shook his head. “I don’t know,” he said. “I think the author preferred to remain anonymous.”

Ferdinand took the book from him gently, reading the first few pages. What he read made his eyes grow wide, the ideas shared much too controversial for him.

"Is this a Protestant book?" he asked. "How did you get your hands on it?"

"If I say yes, are you going to burn it?" George questioned with an arch of his eyebrow. "Even if you do this, there are thousands of others in the hands of your subjects. All over the empire, really. Forbidding it will only fan the flames. People enjoy doing that which they should not."

"Is that what you think?" Ferdinand asked. He returned his eyes to the book. "Why do you read a book from an author concerned about the relations of women and the Lord?"

"The ideas in it are rather thought-provoking," George said. "The author linkens the apacy to a violent interloper in a holy union between man and wife, between men and God. And claims that a death in childbirth is as honourable as a death on the battlefield."

"No one claimed it otherwise," Ferdinand murmured.

"I know," George responded. "But the author said that it is the duty of a husband to care for his wife when she bears his children and that her death in labour is as much his fault as if he had run through her with a sword."

"Are you worried about my brother?" Ferdinand asked, placing his hand over George's wrist. "About his soul?"

George shook his head. "I'm just thinking," he said, finally turning to look at him with his striking black eyes. "My sister always had thoughts about the worship of the saints but no matter what, she remained loyal to the Virgin. She told me in a letter that she always prayed to our mother whenever she found herself with child."

"What happened to your sister was a terrible tragedy," said Ferdinand. "None could have prevented it."

"I know," said George. He shook his head. "My sister died the same way so many other women did. She died like the Queen of England, like the Queen of France your sister." He looked away for a brief moment before turning back to Ferdinand. "Are you truly here to hear me speak about my sister?"

"Honestly? Not at all," he said. "Forgive me for my self-centred thoughts, but I wish to share interesting news with you.”

“What is it?” George asked.

“Anna is pregnant,” Ferdinand said. “It hasn’t quickened yet, but we are almost entirely sure.” He smiled, squeezing George’s wrist.

“Already?” he asked with a sardonic grin. “Don’t you grow tired of her?”

“As I grew tired of you?” Ferdinand knocked their shoulders again. “We have made plans on names. If it’s a girl, we wish to name her Johanna after my mother and if it’s a boy…” He hesitated, licking his lips.

“And if it’s a boy?” George asked with an arch of his brow.

Ferdinand smiled. “We wish to name him Georg, after you,” he said. “Anna and I are in agreement.”

“Georg?” George chuckled. “No son of the House of Austria has had such a name before.”

“And neither was there an Eduardo, or a Ferdinand,” he said. “All traditions have to start somewhere.”

George smiled. “I suppose there is nothing I can say or do to make you change your mind then,” he said and Ferdinand shook his head.

“Nothing at all,” he said.

They didn’t kiss, but George moved his hand to squeeze Ferdinand’s and that was just as well.

27th of January, 1537.
  • London, England. 27th of January, 1537.

Bessie was wearing a cloth-of-silver kirtle to her brother's coronation, the fabric trimmed with ermine and lined with white fur. Her overgown was of the finest green velvet and embroidered with silver thread, the large hanging sleeves turned back and pinned to reveal the costly fur underneath. It was nothing less than what she deserved, of course, as the King’s eldest sister still living in England and the only member of the royal family who was to attend the ceremony.

Her little sisters, Nora and Maggie, were considered too young to behave and her mother, as a crowned queen, was prevented by tradition from attending, even if she was expected to make an appearance at the feast later. Thus, Bessie had to look her very best. She was only nine years old, her pale blonde hair brushed and pinned under a red French hood trimmed with pearls and emeralds. As Kitty moved behind her, tying puffy sleeves to her elbows and another maid selected fine golden rings to adorn her fingers, Bessie took deep breaths.

She pinched her cheeks to bring some colour to them, looking absolutely frightfully pale under the morning light. It was silver that made her look so, but her mother had insisted on the dress and all its decorations. Red, green and white, the Tudor colours for a Tudor princess. Even if she had a Portuguese infanta for a mother, she was still a member of the royal family. She was still a possible heir.

People didn’t like to talk to her, because she was a girl and young, but Bessie knew that they would have preferred her to be John’s heiress instead of her older sister. Marie was Duchess of Brittany, her son was second in line to the French throne and there were fears that if she became Queen, England would be swallowed by France, their greatest enemy. Bessie knew that if her mother's sons had lived, they wouldn't even be considering the possibility of her becoming queen, but still. That didn't make it any less true.

Kitty touched her shoulder gently. "We are done, Your Highness," she said. “You are ready.”

Bessie nodded, still looking at herself in the mirror. She was a pretty girl, everyone said so. Pale blonde hair, blue eyes, a perfectly shaped mouth. Queens were supposed to be beautiful. Above all other women.

Kitty moved awkwardly behind her. "Are you scared?" she asked and Bessie looked around them, noticing that the other servants had already left. She turned back to her friend. Kitty was wearing a cream-coloured dress with red accents, her chestnut hair braided under a simple cream French hood. After the ceremony, she’d change to a green dress just as Bessie would change to a red dress, since they had talked before to make sure that they would not wear the same colour. She could not imagine a world where that would be possible. Kitty was quite pretty, with eyes the colour of amber, but she was not a Princess of England. All eyes had to be on Bessie and they wouldn’t do so if her maid was wearing the same colour as she.

"Of what?" Bessie asked. "Of the coronation?"

Kitty shrugged. "I hear there will be Burgundians in the crowd today," she said. "Men sent by the Emperor to see how you are growing."

"I'm growing well," Bessie responded stubbornly. "I'm taller than you, after all."

"I know," Kitty said. "My uncle said I'm probably going with you to the Netherlands, to marry a handsome Dutch knight and serve you until my dying days."

"That's what I want," said Bessie. She shrugged. "I don't know why anyone cares. Maggie and Nora are going to Scotland and Denmark soon enough, to be future queens and even though I'm older than them, I will only marry a Duke." She pouted, wanting to cross her arms but also not wanting to wrinkle her dress.

"But Juan de Austria will be the richest lord in Europe, everyone says so," said Kitty.

"But he will be a lord, not a king!" Bessie whined. "Is this all my family thinks of me? That I'm less than Nora or Maggie?"

"No, of course not," said Kitty. She moved to embrace Bessie from behind, hands on her shoulders. The Princess took her hands, lacing their fingers together as she pulled her closer. "To be Duchess of Burgundy is more prestigious than being Queen of Denmark and Scotland both, everyone says so. Your betrothed is the son of an emperor whereas James Stewart and Frederik Oldenburg are only the sons of kings."

Bessie sighed. "I suppose you're right," she said. "And maybe someday, Juan will be a king too. He rules over vast lands, after all."

"Exactly," Kitty said, head on her shoulder. "See? There is nothing to worry about."

Bessie nodded and relaxed. Kitty was right; there was nothing to worry about.

--

“Sirs, I present unto you John, your undoubted king!” the Archbishop of Canterbury chanted. “Wherefore all you who are come this day to do your homage and service, are you willing to do the same?”

Each side of the abbey acclaimed him and John remained in his seat at the Chair of Estate, wearing the crimson surcoat and Robe of State with its crimson velvet. María de Salinas kept her eyes focused on the little king. He was the very image of his mother, the deceased Queen Catherine with his round handsome face and blue eyes, the long nose of Isabella of Castile. He looked good, red-gold Tudor hair reaching the lobes of his ears as he listened intently to the people proclaim and accept him as their sovereign lord.

When he moved, María could see the imperial purple velvet underneath his robes, a fabric destined only for the monarch and those of royal blood. The King seemed restless, being just four and ten, unused to the stuffy ceremonies of a royal coronation. There were suggestions for certain events to be cancelled in light of his youth, but they were quickly disregarded. He was already of age, able to rule in his own right. He ought to go through all of the royal traditions, seeing as it was the first and only time he'd be crowned, after all.

John stood up to swear, his white hand over the Holy Bible. He was tall for his age, already 5'7" and there was a respectful angle to his back as he did so. A group of highborn men especially trained for the occasion removed the King's crimson robe and John accepted the Archbishop of Canterbury's anointment, Stephen Gardiner's long fingers drawing upon his head and breast.

María loved that boy as if he were her own. She had raised him for so many years, distancing herself from her own daughter to care for him, this poor motherless child that needed her. She allowed him to call her Lady Willow after a childish mispronunciation of her husband's title, she nursed him through every illness And it was all for this, to see him upon that throne, Catherine’s dearest son. Her most-wanted boy, named after her own brother. John, Second of his Name, King of England and France.

“God save the King!” they cried out when it was done at last, all voices from the crowd roaring as one. “God save the King!”

--

The servant had hardly approached with a bottle of wine when his mother waved him away, her other hand covering John’s goblet in a clear sign that he was not to drink anymore. She was trying to control his drinking to prevent him from becoming a drunk and John couldn’t find it in himself to care, sitting on the high carved seat of the king, looking around at the laughter and celebration. The crowd ooh’d and aah’d at the Italian tumblers, who spat fire like dragons and walked through tight-ropes for their entertainment. For his entertainment, really.

John was having so much fun. The best part of the night, of the entire day really, had been the challenge of the King’s Champion. Sir Edward Dymoke was a man of nearly thirty with sandy-blonde hair and green eyes that rode into the great hall of Westminster Palace on horseback, bearing the greatest and most lethal of arms. But he was no threat to John, no no. With the Lord High Constable riding to his right and the Earl Marshal riding to his left, Sir Edward looked absolutely formidable, being a man with broad shoulders and muscled legs visible even under his full-armour.

The herald had cried out when he appeared, Sir Edward’s presence commanding such respect that the whole court had grown quiet and the herald said, “If any person, of what degree soever, high or low, shall deny or gainsay our Sovereign Lord John, King of England and France, Lord of Ireland, Defender of the Faith, son and next heir unto our Sovereign Lord the last King deceased, to be the right heir to the Imperial Crown of this Realm of England and France, or that he ought not to enjoy the same; here is his Champion, who saith that he lieth, and is a false traitor, being ready in person to combat with him; and in this quarrel will adventure his life against him, on what day soever he shall be appointed.” Sir Edward had not been King Henry’s champion, that honour belonged to his father Sir Robert, already deceased and John had been much pleased to have a champion that was all his own. Sir Robert, after all, had served both the Usurper Richard and John’s grandfather, Henry VII before he attended the coronation of his father.

And Sir Edward seemed formidable. Fearsome. After he left the great hall, his challenge having obviously gone unchallenged, Sir Edward returned wearing a dazzling green doublet with dark pants and John told him to sit in a place of high honour. He even had the servants bring him fresh courses of fish and venison from the many plates coming from the kitchens. Of course, all that was left uneaten would be given to the crowds outside, but there was no reason for his champion not to enjoy himself.

Finished, the tumblers moved away, allowing enough space and an opening for a band to start playing an Italian song, couples finding each other to begin dancing. John watched as his half-brother Pierre began to dance with Dorothy Stafford, his betrothed and his cousin Thomas Pole pull his wife by the hand, the young woman also named Dorothy, though her maiden name was Seymour.

John decided to look for his friend, Charlie Howard. He hadn’t seen him yet, even though he knew Charlie attended his coronation, and he was determined to talk to him before the end of the night. Maybe invite him to sit beside him. Bessie had sat on John’s other side until her governess came for her, as she was still underage and had to go to sleep so there was an empty chair next to the king and he knew exactly who he wanted to sit there.

He found Charlie in the lower tables, talking excitedly to a young girl in a green dress. He was surrounded by other Howards, easily recognized by their signature hooked nose and Charlie knew that the man on the girl’s other side was Charlie’s brother, Henry. John had met him before, the second born of the children Edmund Howard had by Jocasta Leigh, behind only a sister named Margaret. His eyes moved and John saw Margaret and her sister Mary with Baroness Howard, who was their old guardian.

Earlier that week, John had to sign something approving the upcoming marriage of Mistress Margaret and Thomas Arundell of Wardour Castle, since the match was arranged by her uncle, Baron Howard. He remembered this, for some reason.

He returned his eyes to Charlie and the girl talking to him. She moved slightly to look forward, a plate of steaming soup placed before her and John held his breath. The girl was close in age to him, thirteen at the youngest, and with round amber-coloured eyes. She had the Howard hooked nose with dark brown hair peeking out from under a white-and-green French hood, trimmed with lace. Her skin was a perfect shade of white, though somewhat hued by the candlelights in the Westminster Hall and she was tiny. Even beside her brother Charlie, who was quite small, she looked completely diminutive. Bird-like, really.

He realised suddenly that he knew who she was. Charlie never stopped talking about her, after all. His favourite amongst all his many sisters, those from his mother's first marriage included.

John felt his heart thrum in his chest and he stood up, observing as all others turned to look at him, to see what he was about to do. He walked, waving at the band to pick up the song once again and the people began to dance once more. And yet, all eyes were still focused on him, though he didn't notice them at all. His eyes were focused on her.

She gulped when she noticed that he was coming her way, nervously licking up the soup dribbling down her chin. John offered her a hand.

"Mistress Katherine, will you give me the honour of dancing with me?"

Last edited:
    13th of May, 1537.
  • Toledo, Castile. 13th of May, 1537.

A royal wedding was always a grand affair. Those of blue blood can’t be sated with the simple dinners that are so popular amidst the common folk. No, no, no. A wedding between two houses had to be celebrated with its proper glory. Pageantries, tourneys, bull-fights, masques and grandiose feasts. That is what was expected for normal weddings amidst monarchs and rulers, but the wedding between the Prince of Asturias, firstborn child of the Holy Roman Emperor, and an Infanta of Portugal, eldest surviving daughter of the richest king in Christendom, was the event of the century.

The Portuguese procession moved across the Spanish countryside in search of the city of Toledo, where the official religious ceremony between Felipe de Habsburgo and Joana de Avis would be held in the Catedral Primada Santa María de Toledo. The magnum opus of High Gothic architecture in the peninsula had already been prepared for the event, with banners bearing the coat of arms of both youths snapping in the wind.

Joana, sitting side-saddled in her mule, smiled as the citizens of Toledo threw white petals from their windows over her. She was wearing her finest dress of red velvet with a cloth-of-gold kirtle, colours richly associated with both her house and her country. Her black hair gleamed under the sunlight like the purest of onyxes, coiffed under a traditional Portuguese headdress that seemed to consist of a jewelled band over her head and two hairnets of fine white silk covering the buns on each side of her head. The people that looked at her found her to be very beautiful. She had blue eyes and fine features, with a pink mouth curved in a smile that promised both mischief and gentility.

Those of considerable age could well remember Dona Leonor, when she left Toledo for her own marriage, twenty years before, in the daughter. It was as if the Queen and archduchess had returned, to mix her blood with her brother’s in this marriage between their two children.

The people that surrounded the infanta on their own white horses bore the coat of arms of Portugal in snapping banners of dyed wool. The red bordure with its golden castles, the blue quinas on white. To the commoners of Toledo, even the horses seemed to be dripping with blue, and one or two whispers were heard about the cost of the dowry. To the bakers, it was well over 1,000,000 cruzados, but the smiths decided that it couldn’t be. 700,000 was the quantity agreed upon between them, as well as half the city that dismissed the bakers as foolish men trying to sell their bread to the passing Portuguese. The King of Portugal was a rich man, his coffers were always filled to the brim, but even he would be an idiot to enrich a man such as the Emperor. Politics could easily switch between Castile and Portugal, going from friends one days to bitter rivals the next.

It was why the marriage between the infantes and infantas had been agreed. Infanta Joana would marry the Prince of Asturias, while her younger brother Afonso, named after the first King of Portugal, would wed Infanta María de Austria to keep the peace. To prevent these two boys, who would soon grow to men, from shedding blood as brothers, married to the other’s sister. Joana and Felipe would be first, as Joana was two years her brother’s senior, and the procession that brought her to Castile would take Infanta María to Lisbon. That was what was agreed between Dom João and the Emperor.

Infanta Joana was to now be the first woman in court, with the Empress dead and buried. The Emperor was visiting his ancestral lands in Austria, the Prince was to be given the regency to prove himself as worthy and she'd be by his side. Bearing his children, his problems and worries. One day, their son would ascend to the throne of Castile and Aragon, sharing the blood of all great kings of the peninsula. An infante worthy of a great tale… The Castilians hoped only it would be enough to prevent war.

--

Joana fanned herself in the great hall. It was a terribly hot day and she could feel herself almost cooking under the heavy layers of her dress. She looked around for a brief moment, watching the serious faces of her uncle's court.

There were tapestries covering every inch of wall, and the coat of arms of the Prince of Asturias hung behind the carved throne. Felipe wasn't just an infante of Castile and Aragon, but an archduke of Austria as well. Son of the Duke of Burgundy and Lord of all Netherlands. His arms made that clear and she recognized some symbols: the golden castle on red of Castile, the purple lion of León, the pomegranate of Granada and others she couldn't. Possibly, those few were of the Low Countries. Even if her mother had been born there, Joana's education had been focused solely on a life as Queen of Spain. Felipe's younger brother, after all, was to inherit the Burgundian state upon the Emperor's passing.

She fanned herself continuously, looking around nervously. Felipe was not present, that much she could say. Joana was presented to his sisters, and hers now, María and Juana. The other children were considered too young to be presented in an official occasion, so she maintained her attention upon the two she knew. They were as different as possible. One was golden, the other, silver. María had brown eyes and blonde hair, while her sister had curls as dark as night, with a pale skin that seemed to not have seen even one day in the sun. Juana, named after the same grandmother as Joana, wore blue, but María, who was to marry Joana's younger brother, was in red.

It seemed to Joana that the future Princess of Portugal was weaker than they had been led to believe. She was the same height as Juana, two years her junior, and much leaner. It made Joana ponder whether she'd be able to produce children for Afonso.

But all her thoughts about her little brother ended when the herald cried, "Su Alteza Real, Don Felipe!"

The great doors opened and her cousin walked inside. Joana was quick to learn that he was taller than her, even though he was three years younger. His hair was as dark as coal, with sparkling blue eyes and a boyish smile that set her heart racing. Joana had seen some portraits of him and heard enough descriptions from the Imperial ambassador at her father's court, but seeing him in person was a different matter entirely. Her cousin had a skin somewhat tanned, a face without blemishes and a strong chin that was unlike his father's, but still powerful.

“Dearest cousin,” he said in a voice trapped between boyhood and manhood, bending forward to kiss her knuckles when she presented her hand to him, “It is a joy to meet you at long last.”

He spoke in Castilian, not the French she was expecting, and it took a moment for Joana to find her bearings before she responded, “I could say the same, cousin. It has been a long enough wait to meet the man that is to be my lord and husband.” He smiled, a charming smile pulled to the side, almost like a smirk, but not malicious enough to be called that.

Once, Joana might have questioned her feelings for her cousin and betrothed, someone she never met, but in that moment, they were stronger than ever. By the Virgin's grace, he made her skin crawl with desire. Such a feeling could be dangerous for anyone save her lord husband.

But even then, Joana was not entirely sure.

--

She brought her hands forward, touching the slight swell of her ankles and cringed at the pain underneath her skin. Joana was thoroughly exhausted from all the excitements of the day. After her arrival, there was a mass heard to give thanks for the alliance and to call for prayers for her and her cousin’s health. Then, a feast in which she danced with what seemed like half a thousand partners before the night was over. It was a wonder she had feet still and she was grateful that her wedding would only be in a week’s time at the cathedral. She’d hate to spend the happiest day of her life limping around in her husband’s arms.

One of her Portuguese ladies, Helena de Lencastre, came to her. “Minha senhora, your cousin is without and would like to come inside,” she said.

Joana hesitated. She was wearing only a nightgown, laced with thread of silver, and her slippers, hair brushed and braided before bed. In Portugal, she would never welcome anyone when she was in such a state, but this was Castile. Maybe the customs were different. And this was her cousin. Felipe was to be her husband in just a few days. He would see much more than this.

She leaned back against her chair and nodded to Helena. “Let him come,” she said in a queenly voice.

Helena left her side and some minutes later, Joana turned to see who came her way. She was sitting by the unlit hearth, trying to rest before bed. Her cousin stepped inside and towards her, wearing a simple cream-coloured doublet and red breeches with tight stockings underneath. Joana thought to rise and curtsy to him, but she had hardly risen from her chair when he made her stop.

“Please,” he said, cheeks flushed as if seeing someone curtsy to his person was an embarrassment, “We are to be married. I don’t wish for there to be any formalities between us.”

Joana nodded. “If you say so,” she said. Even if Felipe was younger than her, as his wife, she had a duty to obey him and Joana was nothing if not dutiful. "Sit, please."

He did so, sitting on the chair placed beside Joana's and she tried to smile.

"May I offer you anything?" she asked. "Refreshments? We have wine, if you'd like."

But Felipe waved Helena away when she tried to bring him a cup of the sweet Portuguese wine that they had brought with them. "No, thank you," he said. "I don't believe myself capable of drinking anything after tonight." He held himself back. Joana was quick to notice that her husband was not a man willing to indulge in pleasures. As any good Christian shouldn't. It made her smile.

Joana hesitated. Her aunt, the Duchess of Aveiro had advised her to learn more about her husband, to talk to him, and her mother said that she needed to appear as if interested in the same subjects as he was. Even if she wasn't. But that was much easier said than done. She took a deep breath.

"May I inquire to the reason for your visit, cousin?" she asked. "We have just seen each other a few hours ago."

"I know," said Felipe, "But I was much too curious on how you settled in. I know it can't be easy to sleep in a place as of yet unknown." He looked at her with those sparkling blue eyes like bottomless pools and Joana felt herself grow a little sillier.

"I'm quite well," she said, "But I thank you for your concern. It pleases me to have someone so thoughtful as my husband." Felipe smiled and stood up, nervously keeping his hands by his sides.

"Then I shall go," he murmured and Joana stood up as well. "I only came here to be certain of your comfort. Thus, I take my leave, cousin."

"Very well." She moved her hand forward.

Felipe hesitated before he took her hand in his, stroking her knuckles gently. He leaned in and pressed a warm kiss to her fingers, lingering there for a second longer than what was proper. Then, he pressed the back of her hand to his forehead, as if asking for a wife's blessing and sighed.

He stepped back and looked at her. "Good night, cousin," he said.

Joana smiled, bringing her hand back. "Good night, Felipe."