An Imperial Match: Anne Boleyn marries Charles V

John has, what, four of his own? He has a million brothers to have a million kids, so if you need a wife, look to Portugal.
John has three daughters. Luís has one, who won't be marrying outside the country since she is a great heiress. Duarte and Henrique have none and Afonso can't have any that are legitimate, aka can't be used for alliances.

John has three daughters. Luís has one, who won't be marrying outside the country since she is a great heiress. Duarte and Henrique have none and Afonso can't have any that are legitimate, aka can't be used for alliances.
Well, there's three at the moment - with probably more to come.

Didn't stop his father IOTL.
No, it didn't. But John II would need heirs fast when he become of age and that means no long wait for the would-be bride to be old enough for the wedding night. Besides Henry VIII was middle-aged man in OTL when that happened and John II is not in same situation as his father since he is in his early teens(I think) but still.

No, it didn't. But John II would need heirs fast when he become of age and that means no long wait for the would-be bride to be old enough for the wedding night. Besides Henry VIII was middle-aged man in OTL when that happened and John II is not in same situation as his father since he is in his early teens(I think) but still.
I think he's 12?

22nd of March, 1536.
Barcelona, Catalonia. 22nd of March, 1536.

Anne clapped happily as Catalina finished spinning, bowing happily before the Empress. Her daughter was a beautiful dancer with her golden hair and sparkling blue eyes, her face round and cheeks flushed in delight. And it was such a joy to see her dance, for Anne to enjoy the children she already had with her.

"Oh, what a queen you shall make someday!" Anne murmured and her daughter ran to her, arms open. She pulled Catalina close, kissing her face and her precious little hands.

"A queen, mama?" her daughter asked. "Like you?"

"Yes, just like me!" Anne responded. Catalina giggled, spinning around and her yellow skirts snapped happily, blooming up. She pulled her daughter close, pressing gentle kisses to her round little cheeks. "You shall be la Reine de France, my love. I know it so."

"De France, mama?" Catalina asked. "Do you really think so?"

"I do," said Anne. She stroked Catalina's hair, adjusting the blonde strands that had escaped her low bun. "The Count of Montfort is entitled to an Imperial bride and I shall speak with your father to ensure this bride is you, my love."

Catalina giggled and embraced her. She was not of age to dream of romances, too young at just five years old, but even she knew that being Queen of France was as good a fate as any girl could dream of. With her older sisters to go to Portugal, Austria and Savoy, where else could she go? The King of England was far too old for her, they would never wait for her to grow into maturity for a Prince of Wales, but France… well, France was another matter entirely. It was Anne's dream to see at least one of her daughters married to a handsome and rich French prince.

They had won the war with England, taken the entirety of Normandy back and were probably in a good mood. It would be good for them to arrange a marriage with the Valois, to keep the peace in Europe. Anne would talk with Charles, he’d do anything she asked of him, and their little daughter would become Queen of France. Everything should be well.

“I love you, mama,” Catalina whispered.

"I love you too, my sweet baby," said Anne softly. She tightened her arms around her child, unwilling to let go.

--

Rennes, Brittany. 1st of April, 1536.

Marie felt she was finally able to breath, arm in arm with her husband as they walked through the gardens. Ever so often, she'd tilt her head up and look at him, to assure herself that she was not dreaming and that he was truly there with her. Alive and well.

François felt her stare on him and he turned, cheeks flushed. "What?" he sheepishly asked.

"Nothing," said Marie. She smiled. "I'm just thinking about how lucky I am to have you here with me." Her smile weakened, taking in the slight limp to his step from his flaring injury. "And to imagine a world where I could have lost you after saying such hateful words…"

François stopped, turning to her. He clutched her hands and brought them to his lips for a kiss. "But you didn't," he said. "I'm right here. Everything else is in the past."

"Of course, it is," said Marie. She sighed, pulling him closer by the waist. He went willingly, smiling. "You will never leave my side ever. You shall always be with me."

"Always," François murmured before dipping down to press his lips to hers. Marie sighed against his mouth, wrapping her arms around his neck. "Marie…"

"Take me here," she whispered between kisses. "Take me right here. I can't wait a moment longer, my love." He looked around them as she kissed his cheek and his neck, nervous.

"Come," he said, pulling her into a darkened hedge. There, they descended upon each other.

--

Lisbon, Portugal. 2nd of April, 1536.

King João of Portugal leaned back when his brother threw a folded piece of paper on his desk, barking out "How could you?" in an angry tone.

"How could I what?" João asked, almost sarcastically. He raised his eyes lazily to look at Luís before he took the paper, straightening out the folds so he could read what had so offended his brother.

To my sister-in-law, the Duchess of Beja,

Ah, of course. João did not dare to go any further. He already knew what was written there, for it had been his own hand who penned such words. He looked back at Luís, the flushed cheeks of rage, the nostrils flared with insult. In truth, João would have almost laughed to see him like this, if only his anger weren’t directed at his person. And what he had done.

“I do what I must for Portugal and for this family,” said the King.

“This family?” Luís repeated incredulously. “I’m your brother and yet, you still stabbed me in the back. How could you do this to me?”

“Stab you in the back? Don’t make me laugh, brother,” João murmured. “My son is a good boy. Second in line to the throne. And the Duchess agrees with my decision.”

“She agrees to marry my daughter to your son?” Luís asked. “Without my knowledge or consent?”

“You would know if you spent more time with your lawful family,” João said with a reprehensive gaze. “Instead, you spend your days with that Pelican whore and the little bastard.”

“António is my son,” Luís replied, “And Violante is the woman I love.”

“But she is not your duchess,” said João. “Nor could she ever be, even if Guiomar were to drop dead this very moment. As for António…” He shook his head. “He may be your eldest son, but until you have a son with Guiomar, Clemência is your heir and her mother’s as well. So it stands to reason that I should marry her to Filipe, to keep the Marialva wealth away from my enemies.”

Luís shook his head. “You may lie to yourself, brother, but you can’t lie to me,” he said. “You just want my lands and money for yourself, or your precious little boys.” His eyes were dark. “And one day, this knife in my back will be one of truth.” He turned to leave.

“Luís…” João called, but his brother was already gone.

Awww it's so sweet to see Catalina and Anne toghether, it's splendid that she'll be Queen of France one day! Well I'm glad the Duke of Brittany lived, but hahaha Mary must have been desperate for him again. Oh damn, it seems Joao has made all the right moves to ensure that his son may inheirt Luis's lands and wealth. Lovely chpater as usual Izzy!

Catalina is such an adorable little girl! Any royal boy would count his lucky stars to have her as a bride in the future.

And the Habsburgs really aren't the only ones with the 'marry your relatives to keep the lands and money' shtick huh?