An Imperial Match: Anne Boleyn marries Charles V

Barcelona, Catalonia. 18th of January, 1536.

Felipe was playing with his brothers when it happened.

It was strange to play with such young boys, but he liked it. They had giddy and joyful laughs, clutching their toy horses and toy soldiers in their chubby little hands. Felipe had such fun being with them, even if some of them could not yet speak full and comprehensible sentences like himself. They were his brothers and he loved them.

Fernando was two, blonde curls framing his face like a painting of an angel while Eduardo was one, dark-haired and olive skinned. Maybe someone else might have balked at the idea of spending time with such babes, but Felipe was not someone else.

He enjoyed seeing their personalities shine through even at such a tender age. Fernando was quiet and sensitive, prone to tears if he thought there was something wrong, but extremely clever. He could speak clearly already and sometimes, Felipe thought he was speaking with a boy much older.

And Eduardo was a warrior already. He was strong, walking and running throughout the nursery without a care. He defied the nurses when they wanted to brush his hair, or change his swaddles and give him a bath. Felipe was sure that his brother would grow to enjoy hunting, tourneys and warfare.

But he wouldn't be able to stay long with them, because his own steward came to him with a sealed letter and a smirk. Felipe frowned and stood up, stepping away from his brothers.

The first thing he noticed was that the seal was poorly mended. Felipe looked at his steward and knew at once that the man was reading his letters, probably at his father's orders. His heart twisted and he looked away, trying to regain some semblance of personal privacy.

The second thing he noticed was that the seal bore the Portuguese coat of arms. The seven gold castles in red border surrounding five blue shields, now turned into a waxy green. Felipe assumed it was a letter from his aunt, the Queen of Portugal, but when he broke the mended seal and started reading it, he realised it wasn't.

My dearest cousin,

Recently, I found myself eager for news of you, my loving betrothed. Of your valour, your intelligence and your loving blue eyes. Though it pains me to admit so, I begged your father’s ambassador to tell me all he knew of yourself, unable to handle this longing to know. If I ever learn everything there is to know about the Prince of Asturias, I shall call myself a happy woman.

How are you? What have you done today? What do you like to do? I hear you are good with numbers, and finances. That you speak French, Latin, English and all the Iberian languages, save for Portuguese. If you’d like, I would be more than glad to teach you the language of our common ancestor, Isabella of Portugal, mother to Isabella the Catholic. We are to be married, after all, and I want our children to be clever, proficient with all the languages of their kingdoms and they shall be Portuguese just as much as they are Castilian.

I took the liberty to include a portrait of myself and I hope that you shall send one of your own as well, so that I may know your face before our marriage. I also hope fervently that you will respond to this letter as soon as possible, and that we may hold this correspondence until the year we are allowed to meet.

Your loving cousin,

Joana de Portugal

Felipe looked at his steward, who now handed him a portrait of a young woman holding a golden goblet. His heart raced as he looked at the sweet and gentle face of his cousin Joana, brown hair brushed and pinned up in and around her face under heavily jewelled hair net, with a circlet. She wore an orange and red dress, the sleeves slashed to show the fine fabric underneath and the low neckline showing the great white expanse of her chest, and the expensive necklace she wore with rubies, sapphires and emeralds. Her face was handsome, with a small and perfect mouth under a long nose. Her blue eyes were not directed at him, but still, he felt as if she looked at his very being. His soul.

It was so funny. Felipe had never met his cousin, the one he was destined to marry, and yet he was already in love with her.
Felipe being a good big brother is so charming to see. His much younger brothers are probably very thankful for a devoted playmate. And Joana’s letter couldn’t have come at a better time, Felipe’s in need of someone showing interest in him and caring what he thinks or says. Here’s hoping Joana comes round to more correspondence after seeing Felipe’s portrait.

Felipe being a good big brother is so charming to see. His much younger brothers are probably very thankful for a devoted playmate. And Joana’s letter couldn’t have come at a better time, Felipe’s in need of someone showing interest in him and caring what he thinks or says. Here’s hoping Joana comes round to more correspondence after seeing Felipe’s portrait.
Felipe has his mother's extroverted personality, and her deep love for her family.

18th of February, 1536.
London, England. 18th of February, 1536.

The Duke of Norfolk gifted John a new hawk for his thirteenth birthday, a bird that the King named Valour, for he seemed especially bold and courageous. And to encourage the bonds of friendship between the King and his nephew, Charlie was also given a hawk that he named Jason, after the hero in the classics.

The two boys rode together in one of King Henry's great parks, birds at their arms. John looked around them, at the guards and grooms and servants that followed him and Charlie. It was strange, he thought, how he was never truly alone. He had grooms to take off his clothes, servants to scrub his body whenever he took a bath. Servants to give him food, to fill his cup with watered-down wine. Even to hand him a cloth in the stool. It was a wonder no one had asked him to brush his hair for him, or to chew his food for him.

He looked at Charlie. Even his friend was with him at all times. They shared a room now, with Charlie sleeping on a small mattress by the fire. He said he didn't mind when John asked for him to come to his own grand bed, and the King didn't know how to convince his friend to do so.

"I received an offer for a Danish princess," John murmured, letting Valour fly so he could catch a small rabbit in the woods. "The Lord Chancellor said I could say no or yes to the proposal."

"What was the proposal, Your Majesty?" Charlie asked gently. John was not offended by his forwardness, he revelled instead. It meant his friend still saw him as who he was, an equal, even if he was not.

"I'd marry Elizabeth of Denmark, the younger sister of King Hans and my sister Margaret would marry King Hans' son, Frederik," said John. The young prince of Denmark had been born on the first day of that year, the first child of the young king and queen of Denmark. "Elizabeth is around my age and everyone said she is a great beauty."

"So you will marry her?" Charlie asked. John shrugged.

"I don't know," he said. "I spoke with my mother and she wants my sister to go to Denmark, but not for Princess Elizabeth to come here." He shook his head. "She wants me to marry an infanta of Portugal."

"Is there even an infanta available?" Charlie said. "I heard Infanta Manuela has taken vows to become a nun." John shrugged again.

"There is the Infanta Margarida, but the Lord Chancellor said she has to go somewhere else," said John. "I don't know if I even want a foreign wife. How can you know where their loyalties lie, in truth?"

"I suppose there is some truth to that matter," Charlie murmured. He smiled. "I heard Pierre is going to marry Dorothy Stafford."

"Cousin Ursula's daughter?" John asked. No one had spoken to him on the matter, even if his permission as the king wasn't so dutifully requested during his minority. "Why?"

"My uncle said it's because the Staffords want to grow closer to you, so they may regain their duchy," Charlie answered.

"Baron Stafford is the son of a traitor," John responded with a scowl. "They shall not have Buckingham back, I swear to you."

Charlie shrugged. "If you say so," he said. "My half-sister Isabel is pregnant by her Baynton husband. They want to name him Henry, after your father."

John smiled. He'd like that. "Your sister should come to court," he murmured, "And serve my mother as one of her ladies. All of your sisters should."

"I think some would accuse that of being a Howard coup," Charlie responded. "I have too many sisters." John laughed; that much was true.

Their hawks returned, flapping wings triumphantly with their catches. John whooped eager and offered his arm forward, for Valour to clutch his sleeve. When the bird flew away again, he turned to his friend.

"Lord Dudley wants me to marry someone from the Empire, or maybe Sweden." His lips twisted. "A heretic."

"Why?" he asked.

"I think he wants to appease the Protestants here in England," John answered. "For my reign to be one of religious tolerance."

"Is that something you want?"

"If I am to marry someone from the Empire, then I want to marry a relative of the Emperor," John answered instead. "Maybe Margarita or Juana of Austria."

"I thought Infanta Margarita was too sickly to be married to a king," Charlie murmured. "And Infanta Juana is already promised, is she not?"

"I guess," John said. He frowned. "It doesn't seem to me that anyone is truly available." He looked at him. "I'm to turn fourteen in a year and everyone said it's best for me to be married then, so that I can have a son that may keep the French from gaining England. Oh, Charlie, what should I do?"

Charlie didn't answer. He didn't know what to say. There was no answer that would please his friend, because there was no foreign princess close in age to him of a suitable rank or ancestry. He might have said that John best marry an Englishwoman, but that would be a disaster. Wouldn't it?

--

Barcelona, Catalonia. 27th of February, 1536.

"The entourage that brings Infanta Joana to Toledo will also take Infanta María to Portugal, for her own marriage, two months later," Anne murmured, reading the paper before her. "Queen Leonor wishes for María to bring twenty dresses with her, made in the Portuguese fashion, and a hundred chemises, as well as many other things. Does she think we are made of money?"

When no answer came her way, Anne looked at her husband. "Charles, are you listening to me?"

He was not, but still, Charles said, "Yes, very attentively." His eyes were still directed to his wife's face, the pale aspect of her usually swarthy skin. She looked sick, and tired. He moved his hand to stroke her wrist gently, even as he felt the steady beat of her pulse inside her skin. "How do you feel?"

Anne looked away. "Tired and fat," she responded. "As I always do."

"Have you been eating well?" Charles asked. "Resting? Did you sleep today?"

"I slept," Anne said. "I have been taking care of myself, husband. There is no need to worry."

"I worry because I love," said Charles. He took her hand and brought it to his lips for a gentle kiss. "This will be our last, Anne."

She looked at him. "Charles…" she started.

"Nine heirs is plenty for me," he murmured. "We already have four sons and even if this baby is a girl, I shall thank the Lord for her." His eyes met hers. "The last time, Anne."

"But we love each other," she whispered. He nodded, clutching her hand.

"It is for that reason that we shall remain apart," he said. "Had I known better of your state following Eduardo, I would never have risked your life with this baby, but what is done can’t be undone." Charles looked at her, her striking dark eyes that retained their glint even with her frail body. He could see their love reflected in her pupils, in the faces of their children. Margarita and Eduardo especially, who had taken after their mother so keenly. He kissed her hand. “Do you understand me?”

Anne looked ready to refuse, but she nodded sadly. “I understand.”

Last edited:
Oh I wonder who it is that John will end up marrying? Hopefully it is a girl that is generally suitable.... Awww, poor Anne, but I suppose it is for the best, she's getting older, and another pregnancy could be deadly.

Oh I wonder who it is that John will end up marrying? Hopefully it is a girl that is generally suitable....
Definitely curious about that myself.
Awww, poor Anne
Poor Anne indeed. That’s hard.
but I suppose it is for the best, she's getting older, and another pregnancy could be deadly.
Ironically, if this pregnancy left her unable to have any more children…as long as she was otherwise alright and the baby was alright, it’d work out OK, they wouldn’t have to abstain going forward.

Plus it wasn't uncommon for people of the same sex to share a bed in this time in a non sexual nature. In fact among women it was even seen as a way to protect their honor by ensuring that affairs or assault could not be inflicted on them by men.
And to keep warm before the age of central heating.

Ramontxo

Donor
Ejem... 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️
In my defense I thought of them as teenagers and the idea of a plot twist come to my mind