Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes V (Do Not Post Current Politics Here)

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Oppo, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Excelsior Time's arrow marches forward

The Monarchs of North America
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Cyril II (Russian: Кирилл Владимирович Рома́нов; Kirill Vladimirovich Romanov; born 9 December 1949) is the Emperor of Alaska. He became the fourth to hold this title after the death of his father Vladimir II in 1992. His mother was Princess Sophie of Greece and Denmark, sister of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, consort to Elizabeth II. Cyril's only child and heir is his son Tsarevich Vladimir.

Cyril was born at Remembrance Hall in Aleksandrgrad, making him the first Alaskan heir and first Romanov born in Alaska. He had a troubled childhood and family life, known to be his father's least favorite child. As such, he spent long periods of time out of the country, primarily living in the United Kingdom with his uncle Philip. During this time, he became good friends with his cousins. His father recalled him to Alaska at the age of 16 to be trained at the Alaskan War Academy, where he performed extremely poorly. This eventually led to a national scandal when he was facing expulsion for various offences but remained in the school due to his royal status. His father pulled him out a year later and sent him to the Imperial College, where he studied political science and theology. At the College, he met future Prime Minister Michael Ignatieff, son of the Prince Ignatieff, who would himself soon become Prime Minister.

After successfully completing his studies, Cyril left Alaska again and embarked on an international tour. However, it was cut short when he was shot in Greece in 1971. U.S. and Alaskan intelligence believed it was the work of Soviet agents, though this was not proven until the declassification of related documents in 2016. The incident heightened tensions between Alaska and the Soviet Union. He did immediately return to Alaska, instead living covertly in the United States for three years and continuing his education at Duke University. He returned to Alaska due to the 1975 rising, urging his father and the government to institute the reforms being demanded by the protesters. His involvement made him a celebrated figure among Alaskan liberals and he became known as "the awaited one," as his accession to throne was highly anticipated.

The events of 1975 only deepened the rift between father and son, as Vladimir was concerned that Cyril was giving strength to his political enemies and endangering the royal family in doing so. Additionally, he accused Cyril of being "too British." Vladimir was also concerned about the succession, as Cyril was unmarried and did not agree with his father's preferences. In truth, Cyril was still attached to his American girlfriend Teresa Portnoy, whom his father would not accept. Cyril's hopes were ended when Portnoy married another man. In 1984, Cyril married Princess Katarina of Yugoslavia, who he had known in the United Kingdom. However, their marriage was troubled from the start, as it had only happened because Katarina was pregnant with the future Tsarevich Vladimir. The couple were separated soon after Vladimir's birth, with Katarina returned to Europe. Cyril's appeals for a divorce were denied by both the Alaskan Orthodox Church and his father. Cyril raised his son alone and decided to send him to public schools, a first for an Alaska royal.

Vladimir II died in 1992 and Cyril became the new emperor. By now, his reputation as the awaited one had dissipated, largely due to his marriage and well known extramarital relationships. As emperor, he pledged to become a British-style monarch and abstained from the political process, affirming the power Parliament had obtained in the latter years of his father's reign. Cyril instead focused on obtaining his divorce. As the new head of the Romanov family, he needed permission from no one but the Church, and used his power to lean on them until they granted the divorce. By that point Katarina had not been in Alaska in five years, during which time they had only seen each other three times. After the divorce, Cyril surprisingly did not marry the actress Maria Karachova, his then-mistress, and soon ended things with her. Since then, he has not been known to have any other relationships. In 2013 he declared "Alaska is my wife."

Due to his hands-off approach, Cyril has remained far from political affairs, though there was controversy when Mikhail Ignatieff became the new Prime Minister, the first of noble birth since his own father. Cyril made a rare intervention to vouch for his friend, which was seen by Ignatieff's opponents as an unconstitutional statement of partisan favor, calling for Cyril's abdication or removal from the throne. This did not come to pass. In recent years, Cyril's reputation has been repaired and he is a popular monarch.

----

Kamehameha IX (born Joseph Matthew Kalanimaikakai April 25, 1987) is the King of the Hawaiian Islands. He was born to Prince Kahalehiolo, the future Kamehameha VIII, and his wife Eliza Ridgeway on a plane above the Pacific Ocean, as his parents were rushing to return to Hawaii from the United States. Consequently, he was given the Hawaiian name Kalanimaikakai, meaning "the chief born on the sea." He ascended to the throne on December 16, 1997 when his father was assassinated at the height of the December Rain, and took the name Kamehameha IX. As a minor, his aunt Charlotte Kūnehi served as his regent until he turned 17.

Prior to his reign, he attended public schools with his siblings. After becoming king, he was educated by private tutors and received extensive tutelage from Prime Minister Daniel Inouye, who was in office for the first 13 years of his reign, coming to regard Inouye as a second father. Unlike most of his predecessors and relatives, he did not serve in the military due to his status as king. Instead, he studied at the Princess Kaʻiulani College. His reign has been a stable one, although there was political upheaval with the rise of the Reform Party led by Kimo Aiona. In 2014, he married football star Jessica Kamakua. They have two children, Jason Kapuāiwa and Katherine Kalākaumaha.

2. black_0 Annoyed by existence

Here is a box for the Earth Party based on the History of the Global Union from the Periodization Game.

[​IMG]

The Ideological Stats part I may elaborate on latter but for now know that the numbers are on a scale from 1 to 99 and represent the following spectra (from left to right):
    Political Focus (Individualism - Collectivism)
    Metaphisical Orientation {Materialism - Spiritualism)
    Political Scope (Particularism - Universalism)
    Political Violence (Pacifism - Militancy)
    Cultural Diversity (Monoculturalism - Multiculturalism)
    Social Control (Anarchism - Totalitarianism)
    Regional Sovereignty (Centralism - Separatism)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    Indicus, AlternateMan, gap80 and 16 others like this.
  3. mlee117379 Well-Known Member

How would I go about coloring in a blank Electoral College map like this one?

[​IMG]

4. Wolfram Fair to middlin'

The Fill and Stroke menu in Inkscape.

5. Nitracsavo Member

What if the Holy Roman Empire never fell?
    [​IMG]

6. htgriffin Member

I see the Archbishop-Electors got chucked at some point....

7. Nitracsavo Member

Yeah, they didn't survive this timeline's version of Kulturkampf in the late 19th century.

8. Jonathan Corbynite with fire in heart & food in belly

Good idea. Although why does Mitt Romney pick Sarah Palin?
    If you are looking for a female candidate to counter Clinton, I would imagine him picking Elizabeth Dole, being more experienced and coming from a more difficult region for Romney to campaign in.

gap80 likes this.
  9. Planita13 Wishing for a Lake

Another post for my Gran Lago timeline, where a massive lake in Southern California doesn't dry up and sticks around to the modern day (with some help). This time a rather consequential election. The thread for this timeline can be found here.
    [​IMG]

AlternateMan, gap80, Nofix and 18 others like this.
  10. Goweegie2 Infobox posting transgirl

Always love to see more Gran Lago content

Anyway, this one is really interesting. What happened with Lane as President? Did a Civil War where the north secedes happen? When did slavery finally get abolished?

Edit: Also, what happened to Abraham Lincoln ITTL?

FossilDS and Planita13 like this.
  11. emk163 Honestly why do I bother?

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 6.18.11 PM.png
    Sherlock Holmes in the Sherlock universe if he had a wikibox.

Indicus, AlternateMan, RepMR and 11 others like this.
  12. X_X Well-Known Member

Wikibox for A Giant Sucking Sound. Metallica are all killed in a terrorist attack at Woodstock ’99.

upload_2019-6-15_17-2-24.png

13. Kermode Well-Known Member

Cool idea, though I think it would have benefitted from a different photo— I can't imagine Sherlock giving some public address so happily.

14. mlee117379 Well-Known Member

Here's an ASB scenario in which a certain YouTuber and his ex-wife are born several decades early:

Jared.jpg

15. Goweegie2 Infobox posting transgirl

Extremely cursed

16. emk163 Honestly why do I bother?

Yeah I mean I could have looked up a different photo but I was more concerned about the information.

AlternateMan and PopulistBean like this.
  17. Asteroid Miner Just another lefty in distress

So one thing that is my pet peeve on alternate history threads is when users have amazing stories and worldbuilding but then draw me out of the story by using pictures of already very famous people as a fictional character. (Sometimes appropriate like that great Sherlock wikibox above).

So if I'm allowed I've had an idea on a solution which is to use this AI which creates random faces that look very realistic (sometimes it goes wrong, just refresh)

https://thispersondoesnotexist.com

18. emk163 Honestly why do I bother?

How would I input said images into wikipedia perhaps?

19. Goweegie2 Infobox posting transgirl

Edit the screenshot in Photoshop or a paint editor

20. Goweegie2 Infobox posting transgirl

Here's an election for a parliamentary France, I don't have the backstory entirely figured out but it involves Charles de Gaulle dying before Gaullism gains traction

[​IMG]