Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes V (Do Not Post Current Politics Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Just to be clear, is it 3 comments with an image per day or simply 3 images even if they are in the same comment?

I guess if one merged several info boxes into one picture it counts as one?
Three IMAGES. Doesn't really matter if it is in three different posts or all in the same post.

We are not going to scour the entire Board looking to see if over the course of a day someone posted four images in three different Forums, but there is a limit.

Three IMAGES. Doesn't really matter if it is in three different posts or all in the same post.

We are not going to scour the entire Board looking to see if over the course of a day someone posted four images in three different Forums, but there is a limit.
But there's no limit if you only embed images you originally uploaded to imgur with the "inster image from URL" function, right?

Edit: Actually there is, nevermind. Sorry for bothering you.

Last edited:

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
But there's no limit if you only embed images you originally uploaded to imgur with the "inster image from URL" function, right?
There is a THREE IMAGE limit. It used to be more a matter of storage than anything else, now it is more an issue of "this isn't an image Board" (although some bandwidth issues remain).

I've been interested in the politics and government of the Republic for a while - ever since I started thinking about how little it's explained and how little of it makes sense. So I decided to make an election to the Senate just to see what it might look like. I don't think the Senate elections are ever explained in canon, and everything to do with the Republic's government is just a big mess, I honestly suspect the Republic doesn't hold Republic-wide elections. I think, reasonably, it's more like the entire thing runs on by-elections, with every Senator serving their term more or less independent of any other Senator. But you can't make an article out of that, so I took liberties.

As for the political landscape, I pieced together a vague image from what exists in canon and Legends. In canon, the Loyalists' Committee was an advisory group of high-ranking Senators which Palpatine kept by him during the war. I'll expand on that in a minute. The Council of Neutral Systems is a political force in this scenario, led by Satine. This is probably the part I'm least happy with, since I can't imagine Satine going for the Chancellory. But she was the heart and soul of the neutrality movement, and its most outsspoken member. By 20 BBY things were looking really bad for neutral systems and I could see the party pressuring her to run as their Chancellor candidate just for the star power factor.

Another party is the Occupied Systems Alliance. This has no precedent in canon and is my own creation, but it's not too much of a stretch to imagine a band of politicians from occupied systems running for their seats in exile, and being elected by those citizens who have fled. Lux Bonteri did become a member of the Galactic Senate around 20 BBY and apparently served until about 6 BBY, so this fits. He is perhaps too young, but there are stranger things in canon, and he would make a great leader; bold, fierce, with all the courage of a war hero and the finesse of a man from a political family. Speaking of which, you can imagine what kind of controversy there would be surrounding his family...

The last party is Liberty Appeal, a more or less arbitrarily named alliance of corporations Senators. The party originally represented Mid/Outer Rim trade interests, but by this point is more or less exclusively for Senators from Separatist worlds whose loyalty to the Republic is highly dubious to say the least. Lead by Lot Dodd of the Trade Federation, who we see trying to pull strings in the Senate during TCW every now and then.

Now it's been established that, in canon, the main political split in the Republic was between centralist, protectionist Core Worlders and free trade anti-centralists from the Mid and Outer Rims. This is where the Loyalists' Committee comes back into play. Since the Republic is embroiled in a massive war, I imagine a National Unity government being formed, as sometimes happens in real life, between many of the parties divided along the traditional political split. The national unity government of the Republic forms around the Loyalists' Committee, styling itself the Loyalist Bloc, and is a broad alliance of parties and independent Senators who pledge their support to Chancellor Palpatine and his government. First running in the 24 BBY election, they hold an overwhelming majority of seats - enough, in fact, to amend the Constitution. Which Palpatine gets into a habit of doing, a lot. The Bloc's members include a broad range of Senators, from war hawks and militarists like Orn Free Taa to pacifists like Padme Amidala and Bail Organa, all united (at least at first) in their confidence in Palpatine.

The scenario itself is alternate-historical in-universe. In canon, the 20 BBY election never took place, as it was canceled by the Emergency Powers Act of 24 BBY which extended Palpatine's term (for the sake of convenience, I'm assuming the Senate has the same four-year term as the Chancellor.) By 20 BBY, tensions between Palpatine and concerned Senators were already reaching boiling point. It seems unlikely that Amidala, Organa, Mon Mothma, or many of their allies could stomach the idea of staying in the Bloc and supporting Sheev for another term. So in this scenario, they leave the Loyalist Bloc and codify the Delegation of 2,000 as a political party/alliance which stands candidates in systems galaxy-wide. A number of Senators defect to this party before the election is held, so they only gain relatively few seats, but still enough to place second in the Senate. Their platform is Palpatine-skeptic, I suppose. They're not outright against him, and they're certainly not anti-Republic (though many of their opponents accuse them of being such). They're concerned about executive overreach, the continual empowering of the office of Chancellor, and the rapidly decaying democratic structures of the Republic. They seek remedies to these problems, and operate in good faith to establish a dialogue and understanding with Palpatine and the Bloc to find solutions. Unfortunately, they don't find any before it's too late.
S9oegMz.png

Part of A shared ascendancy: the never ending Anglo-Spanish cold war

G1K0GnP.png

The Greek People

ppxag38.png

Goddamn this is great

A shared ascendancy: the never ending Anglo-Spanish cold war
G1K0GnP.png

2019 AD

WyJac3Y.png

Actually i’m Surprised Greece has 60 million people ( or Greek at least, i’m Sure it has many more minorities especially with Constantinople), from these border one would think they have closer to 30-40 millions people, at most. Also i’m Surprised the ottomans just didn’t deport all their Greeks to Greece, but I guess their nationalism may be less strong ITTl

Last edited:

Abazo

Banned
Actually i’m Surprised Greece has 60 million people ( or Greek at least, i’m Sure it has many more minorities especially with Constantinople), from these border one would think they have closer to 30-40 millions people, at most. Also i’m Surprised the ottomans just didn’t deport all their Greeks to Greece, but I guess their nationalism may be less strong ITTl

Well, about the Ottoman Sultanate, you have to consider that there was no Greek genocide ittl and yes, a much weaker nationalism. The Ottomans haven't deported any minorities because of fear of retaliation by the Greek, Armenian or Kurdish governments (all allied under the Karin Group) and because it would destabilize the government and society (The Greek Interests Party has been an ally of the Ottoman Conservative Party since the Great Russian War).
Also consider that even before 1900 Greece already controlled what it controls in 2019 AD, and in otl that area is actually very densely populated (like 35 million people). You got that and add that in Greece the life conditions improved exponentially since its independence, paving the way for increasing birth rates, and also the 1926 government program that promoted immigration to Greek-controlled Africa (Cyrenaica), so that area is actually way more populated than in otl.

BahHdGk.png

It's A Popularity Contest!
Down in the state of Arkansas in the midst of the cold war, stood a little high school which operated normally to nearly every other high school in the country, with decision being made by a principal which was elected by the members of the Student Grand Assembly with their votes being cast at the begining of each school term. Launched as part of Calvin Coolidge's Interactive Democracy initiative in the 1920s, it would spark long debates about politics around many dinner tables and have homework assignments sloppily copied in exchange for a bribe to a faculty member. The cash for A's scheme was near to a mad dash on your parents' bank accounts for political favors and illegal hit jobs, often with the assistance of the Chicago gang and the Capone led white house for the rich, and the hobo with a shotgun for the more destitute of students.

This blatant corruption within the school system would lead Principal Herbert Hoover to lament that it "Was nothing more than a goddamn popularity contest with the one with the thickest bank account." However, despite cries for reforms of the corrupt system by more progressive principals, such as Thomas Dewey and Theodore Roosevelt and his cousins, congressional legislation would be stalled and killed in committee after committee by politicians who had much to lose with the reforms that the more younger members were proposing. With an explosion in pride, nationalism and anti communist propaganda within the american classroom, a single lone high school in the deep south would usher in large, slow, changes with a singular election.

As Winter Break would wind down and students would begrudgingly drag their feet through the snow to Little Rock Arkansas, a foreign exchange student by the name of Alex Trebek would charm his way through the social elites of the nerds and geeks respectively, hobbling a coalition of seats to win his way to become head of the Homework Party by the snowy fall of 1959.

By that time, a large flu had swept the town of Little Rock, forcing school cancellations and his breif unemployment and furloughs for a short time, blamed on a nasty chicken pox epidemic that would see the Student Grand Assembly brought forcefully into session to think of solutions. Around that time, another crisis struck, which was a strike by the volunteer janitors, demanding actual paychecks, shorter working hours and the right to unionize.

Thinking fast, Principal Bob Dole would deploy the Student Guard out, with a bloody conclusion of ten dead (two guards and eight janitors) drawing public support for left wing and right wing responses to the boost respectively. The names of the eight killed janitors would be named on a plaque in December of 1959. Trebek would lead the loudest shouts for Doles' impeachment as principal, wanting immediate elections to be held. This point was relented by Dole, who officially dissolved the Student Grand Assembly via intercom on December 15th,1959 for immediate elections to be held within one month.

Bill Clinton's Liberty and Burgers party would hastily begin to mobilize it's membership, with a large demand of huge sweeping reforms planned, from shortening the school days and meetings of the 'working lunch' SGA to half an hour less, to the increase in paychecks for those families which were struggling to pay the school taxes in order to allow student representation. However, it would also demand stricter segregation laws and offered up bills that would disenfranchise black students in the school, which made up just 4% (198) of the school's entire population.

He would also have to answer for several 'tutoring' sessions that had gotten the local authorities involved revolving his many abusive relationships towards several female students. When asked about the allegations during the gym debates, he would deny having them with a certain Rosa Parks, a black woman which was the most incendiary of the allegations to surface during the campaign.

JFK Populist Students
By far one of the most outside candidates to the race save for Nixon, most students would wonder what any business the money and looks of a north easterner would be doing in the deep south of all places. The young and charming adolescent would answer with a swing to the populist and disgruntled voters that had previously ousted the former chairman of Stuart Symington. He would be the very first candidate to use the radio as a means of communication between his allies and listeners, spreading their populist campaign of raising the pay for the members of the assembly and offering to execute the very top principals. In these speeches his main promise would be to abolish the position in favor of a council system of various members from his own political party, and others too.

Ronald Reagan Conservative Patriot
The young and good looking Reagan proved to be nearly a copy paste response of the right's response to the soaring success in JFK. He would promise the students a new era away from the brain dead Veteran Faculty,which he declared was out of touch with the angers of the students, such as long lines at drinking fountains and during lunch, restrictions on travel to and from the various rooms within the school and limited tutor times per student. Reagan would mark a path clearly in the minds of the voters: He was the future, and all other candidates seemed to be offering up a solution of a more nostalgic past, instead of a realistic future.

Hillary Clinton School Pride
One of the more right wing of the left wing members, the soul female party leader of School Pride would want to push for radical changes such as the legalization of gay relationships within the school, with herself coming out as gay only a day before the election, one of the many factors that would lead to their parties loss of 8 seats. Besides the new stance on social issues, her party platform was essentially a cookie cutter copy of the largely unpopular Dole candidacy, using a line of thinking that if the most popular candidate is doing this, I'll have these in my campaign too. While attempting to draw candidates that were both attracted to the Dole campaign and disappointed at the lack of social issues addressed by the Dole campaign.

However, she was clumsy and blunt when Reagan and Trebeck hammered her at being a copy of the unpopular Dole and wanting to "ruin traditional relationship within the school". Along with her forcing of friends that made her personal circle shrink more and more, it was an absolute shock that only 8 seats switched hands from School Prides' grasp. Clinton even had a resignation letter proposed to the School Pride leadership, but never sent it off after seeing things weren't as bad as they were, in her words: "We're up shit creek, but we can still find the paddle, we just dropped it somewhere in the creek and now have to look through the shit to find it. We'll find it."

Bob Dole Veteran Faculty
While normally having the power and advantage of the incumbent political party in office would work to the benefit, it would be an out of touch misery for Bob Dole's candidacy and the VF party as a whole. Decried as the party of the "man" and declared to be "filled with goddamn commies" There was more of a reaction in comparison to say the man that was actually running as a communist in the election due to Doles' name recognition as the former Vice Principal before abolishing the post in the early 50s.

Along with his blunt and heavy handed strategies in dealing with the working class and ring of spies that had been discovered in the halls of Reagan's campaign, he was unpopular. He alienated both sides of the political spectrum and was left with wooing moderate voters into supporting his candidacy as a last resort, of which he could only grab a handful of delegates and actual voters come election day. Veteran Faculty would see one of it's largest defeats in the history of school politics, with a staggering loss of 90 seats to the other parties. Upon hearing news of the results, Dole would retire to his quarters before celebrating with the other victorious political members in various vandalizing pranks as part of inaugural hijinks.

Gerald Ford Classroom Populist
Stuck in the classroom because of bad behavior, Ford's campaign was nearly sunk with various detentions and nearly an impeachment and expulsion from the SGA, narrowly avoiding punishment after punishment by the aging Andrew Johnson teacher lookalike. His promises on the campaign trail throughout room to room was a message of populist charm and charisma, though with noticeable gaffes along the way, with a notably bad one being the last minute declaration during a final debate that 'pearl harbor was the best thing to happen to the united states' on a purely industrial level. This would poison the well for several candidates who had hoped to drink to Representatively constituent success in the election.

Richard Nixon Communist
Narrowly avoiding both an assassination attempt and undercover threats to dismantle and divide the communist party's three amigos of the revolution, Nixon would take the party to it's largest left wing sentiment, decrying almost everything to the right of Stalinism, becoming a staunchly hardline member of the party. Being on the local Football team enabled him to convince some of his best friends to both spread the news and attend meetings of Marxist-Leninist thought (With the meetings bugged of course).

He would monitor his friends very closely, watching for almost any sign of betrayal to the "school revolution" he was hoping to bring upon Little Rock, then the Arkansas School Districts. His performance in the debates was seen to be one of his defining moments in clashing with the outsider, though being slightly humiliated in the fact that the foreigner was able to go toe to toe with the skilled debater. This effect would not harm the party's chances at losing seats, with the opposite occurring on election day of two more friends to talk to.

North Algeria or officially known as the British National Syndicalist Union (BNSU) is a country in Africa that is located in the Maghreb region. the country lies surrounded by the Mediterranean Ocean in the north, Algeria to the south, Egypt to the east, and Morocco to the west. the country is considered "national syndicalist" state and it is notable for atrocities against minorities. the press freedom index is very low and still experiencing international sanctions from the League of Nations (LoN).
uSVDIwM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.