Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keanwank (aka Tom Kean's rise to the top) Part 4: Kean's the real deal!
Screenshot 2016-08-07 at 11.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-08-07 at 11.jpg
    Screenshot 2016-08-07 at 11.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:
The 1996 election in Stand Up For America.
The 1968 election.
The 1972 election in Gauntlet and SUFA, the 1976 election in Gauntlet.
The 1976 election in Liberty and SUFA.
The 1980 elections in Gauntlet, Liberty and SUFA. (THIS POST)

The time has finally came, the 1980 election, the AIP's victory in all AIPverses.

upload_2016-8-7_15-29-0.png

The Gauntlet version has Phil Crane come close to a majority (269, one short!) but as you can notice, a faithless elector in Pennsylvania delivered him an outright majority. I've shown this on the map with a little Maine-style box next to the PA numbers (which is cut down from 27 to 26 to reflect this).

@Komodo's write-up below.
And we're getting the first results in from New York....with 12% of precincts reporting, it appears that George Bush is in the lead.

With 74% of precincts reporting, we can safely call Ohio for the American Independent Party.

In a remarkable turn of events, Philip Crane has beat the odds and carried his home state of Illinois. Analysts are attributing this to...

We can call Rhode Island for Alan Cranston, making this the Democrats' first win of the night.

As predicted, the American Independent Party has swept the South.

In a shocking upset, the American Independent Party has surpassed both Democratic and Republican parties in both the popular and electoral vote...

The results are in, and Philip Crane and the American Independent Party are just one vote shy of a majority in the electoral college.

Rogue GOP Elector from PA votes Crane; AIP Victorious!
-December 15th, 1980

“I, Philip Miller Crane, do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, so help me G-d."

Everyone doubted them in 1968, but G-d, they'd done it - the American Independent Party had won the Presidency. Not only that, but in a shocking landslide victory (dubbed the "Crane Revolution" by pundits) they had captured the House, made gains in the Senate (though a shaky and volatile GOP-Democratic coalition still rules that body) and captured multiple Governorships.

Later on, in another AIP game, Phil Crane once again emerged victorious in 1980...

upload_2016-8-7_16-27-35.png

This is With Liberty and Justice for All's 1980. As you can see by comparing the 1976 and 1980 results to Gauntlet's, the polarisation between GOP and AIP at the expense of the Dems happen rather quicker in Liberty.

Kom's write-up below.
Alan Cranston had been given one task: salvage 1980 for the Democratic Party. He failed. While Reagan and Crane fought to determine the future of American conservatism, Cranston sought to rally the New Left, the activists, and minorities under his banner. Ultimately, it was not enough, and even in his home state Cranston found himself battered by the former Governor's charisma and an organized Republican machine which shut the Democrats out of everywhere but San Francisco and its immediate environs. And the add insult to injury, the Senate seat that Cranston did not contest in 1980 was filled by a Republican.

While Cranston floundered and Anderson (who finished with respectable 7% of the vote, approximately) sought to swing over votes to his message of post-partisanship, Reagan and Crane tore into each other, each with a different path for American conservatism. While Crane and the American Independents represented a populist, working-class variant of conservatism and anti-communism rooted in the social conservatism of the American South and the rugged independence of the West, Reagan and his Republicans represented a more intellectual strain, rooted in educated professionals and businessmen. Ultimately, it was Crane winning over the white working-class in places like Ohio, Illinois, and Pennsylvania that won him the election.

And the game currently going on (Stand Up for America, which can always use more voters/players!) has a 1980 of its own, thankfully without Phil Crane!

upload_2016-8-7_17-9-42.png

The polarisation in Stand Up For America takes the longest, and it lasts until 1988 before the duopoly is finally confirmed.

Kom's write-up.
1980 continued the realignment that had been brewing since 1968, creating an unusual-looking electoral map. Plagued by a lackluster economy and a foreign policy debacle, the Republican ticket was unsurprisingly defeated. Meanwhile, on the Democratic side, the Carey/Exon ticket attempted to earn victory by appealing to its traditional base. And in all fairness, they did do well at uniting the party. The real issue was, there was not much of a party to unite anymore. Once upon a time, the Democratic Party had been the party of urban laborers. But as American economy moved forward, white-collar labor replaced blue-collar, and urban laborers became suburban professionals. The Baby Boomer generation discovered that they wanted was lower taxes on their homes and incomes, a strong line against the Soviet threat, and a tough approach to law-and-order. Buoyed by the Boomers joining the Silent Majority, Republican missteps, and the angry unemployed, Meldrim Thomson managed to draw support from both the Republican and Democratic parties, became the first American Independent President of the United States.

Last edited:
Here's one for anybody that's seen the Norwegian movie The Wave. For the figures in terms of deaths/injuries/those missing, I looked up some tourist statistics for Geiranger and made some guesses:

Lii3HP3.png

Looking through these old posts, and discovered this:

It Can't Happen Here:

"Mass shootings grapple Paris, Marseilles, and Nice in France, dozens killed; ISIS involvement suspected"
-CNN, July 14, 2016

A terrorist attack in France on Bastille Day 2016 turned out to be a rather prescient idea.

Last edited:
I continue in my quest to mildly diversify the thread, with the same kind of video game boxes over and over again...1 step at a time folks, 1 step at a time.

Anyways, happy 30th birthday Metroid and Samus Aran! You might not have had a load of games unlike your brothers from the NES era, but at least the handful you do have are all great...well OK most of them are great. Like this one could have been.

---

Metroid 64, also referred to as Ultra Metroid (its working title), is an action-adventure video game developed by Nintendo R&D1 in conjunction with Intelligent Systems, and was published by Nintendo for the Nintendo 64. It was released in Japan on July 21, 1999, in North America on August 1, 1999, in Europe on August 26, 1999, and in Australia in September 18, 1999.

Metroid 64 is the first 3D game in the Metroid series. Taking place between the original Metroid and Metroid II, The player controls Samus Aran, an intergalactic bounty hunter who travels to the planet Thallon in search of Space Pirates who were mass producing Pseudo-Metroids, harvested from the cells of the real Metroids. The game ends with the extermination of the 64 pseudo Metroids, the Metroid Production Laboratory, and the temporary defeat of the Space Pirates. The game introduced the Ultra Suit, the black and white ultimate armor Samus would use in later games, Samus' gunship Cosmo Liner, and the Pirate King.

Being the successor to Super Metroid, often called one of the greatest games of all time, Metroid 64 sold mildly in its initial run. Only about 26,000 copies were sold in the first week in Japan. As with the other Metroid games, Metroid 64 sold much better in the United States, which accounted for over half of the games eventual 3.36 million sales. Critics praised the games look, sound, and enemy design, but were mixed on the controls and the story. At the release, most critics considered the game to be a good transition to the series, despite many changes in gameplay from the previous 2D games. Comparing it the Super Mario 64 and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, GameSpot praised the game for being as ambitious as both of those games and for trying to innovate the series without completely changing everything. "The controls, while awkward and kind of mind bending at first, make good use of the N64 controller, including the often overlooked D-Pad on the left."

The story left fans and critics split. Some liked the more comedic elements that Metroid 64 introduced. "Peppered within the game are numerous, but short, cutscenes which feature Samus either looking around, avoiding Space Pirate detection, or goofing around with cute wildlife." Wrote Nintendo Power. "Despite her never actually talking in the game, we do get to understand Samus Aran better as a character then just a bounty hunter." Others complained the game was too comedic, or the cutscenes were too numerous, and that it often distracted from the gameplay. Less praised is the games map system, which was difficult to navigate and required odd controls to move around in.

The game also includes a multiplayer mode, where up to four players can compete against each other in four different game types: Hunters, Metroid Killer, Morph Ball Pinball, and Pirate Evasion. Critics singled this out as one of the best parts of the game, with GameFan saying "[A] Metroid multi-player game, refined and built upon the mechanics introduced in 64, could function as its own game."

N5eHZWr.png

Despite the games middling sales, and disappointment from fans who were hoping for a game to succeed Super Metroid, Metroid 64 gained its own fans over the years who liked the 3D style of gameplay over the 2D style, which nearly all future games adhered to.

---

As with the previous two video game boxes, I just found the fake game box online. I had fun with this one. Spent a couple days thinking it over, but wrote most of this just know when I realized "Hey, the 30th birthday of the series is a perfect time to release this, I cannot let this slip by me!"

As always, tell me what you think.

Video Game Wikiboxes:
How i would imagine the game....like Jet Force Gemini? the missing link between turok and perfect dark?(is not coincidence the turok fell in Metroid Prime, as former iguana people go to retro) how, i'm imagining it third person so far... Besides Amazing wikibox, the most biggest missed oportunity alongside Fire emblem 64...did fire emblem 64 got made? OTL Fire emblem writer and paper mario writer wrote metroid here so is possible.

So all infobox did make a cohesive timeline, did you've plans for a timeline?

How i would imagine the game....like Jet Force Gemini? the missing link between turok and perfect dark?(is not coincidence the turok fell in Metroid Prime, as former iguana people go to retro) how, i'm imagining it third person so far... Besides Amazing wikibox, the most biggest missed oportunity alongside Fire emblem 64...did fire emblem 64 got made? OTL Fire emblem writer and paper mario writer wrote metroid here so is possible.

So all infobox did make a cohesive timeline, did you've plans for a timeline?

Thanks. Again, sadly, I have not played a lot of the games you mentioned (JFG, Turok, or even Perfect Dark, which I actually did have as a kid but could never understand how to play). ITTL I'm seeing the game as a sort of primitive Metroid Prime, but with some N64 weirdness thrown in.

As I understand it, there was a planned N64 Disc Drive Fire Emblem game, but like a lot of 64DD stuff it got canned. According to the Fire Emblem wiki, the planned Fire Emblem: Ankoku no Miko (Maiden of Darkness), was reworked into the GBA's Fire Emblem: Binding Blade. ITTL...probably not. Also good eye on noticing who was in the production of the game.

These are all pretty much one-shots, with no real connection to one another. If there is going to be a connection, like a wikibox as a sequel to another wikibox I did, I'll note it.

Thanks. Again, sadly, I have not played a lot of the games you mentioned (JFG, Turok, or even Perfect Dark, which I actually did have as a kid but could never understand how to play). ITTL I'm seeing the game as a sort of primitive Metroid Prime, but with some N64 weirdness thrown in.

As I understand it, there was a planned N64 Disc Drive Fire Emblem game, but like a lot of 64DD stuff it got canned. According to the Fire Emblem wiki, the planned Fire Emblem: Ankoku no Miko (Maiden of Darkness), was reworked into the GBA's Fire Emblem: Binding Blade. ITTL...probably not. Also good eye on noticing who was in the production of the game.

These are all pretty much one-shots, with no real connection to one another. If there is going to be a connection, like a wikibox as a sequel to another wikibox I did, I'll note it.
You Should get videos, and if you can got for it, Perfect Dark was Goldeneye in steroids so pretty hard if you don't know what to do, the game demand heavily reading too. Yeah if is a proto Metroid Prime is closer to Turok with as you say, Metroid and N64 Weirdness. thanks for the explanation.

What I Remember, Miyamoto was the big force for a FE64 in either N64DD or regular one, later when the project collapse and thracia was approved as a SNES game, he took far of the staff to make Paper Mario, that is why recgonized the staff(plus magazines here were big about developers,etc) so if you can do something just tell us as always.

Yeah some feels related, other not so much. Nice as always, waiting for the next one.

Divided Against Itself

Robert Zimmerman is one of the most influential politicians of the last century. Formerly a folk musician of moderate success, a visit with his idol Woody Guthrie inspired him to become active in the Agrarian Justice Party, which Guthrie had co-founded. While initially one of the party's many "troubadour-campaigners", a chance meeting with Governor Bourke B. Hickenlooper led to his being tapped to be the party's nominee in the 1962 Minnesota gubernatorial race. His energetic campaigning and speeches - delivered in a "voice like sand and glue," perhaps, but with a lyrical and earnest quality to them - were not enough to win that election, but they raised his profile and experience enough to gain him the Governor's Mansion the next election.
As governor, he expanded the state's agricultural subsidies and welfare programs. He also pursued equality in jobs, justice, and public accommodations. However, he was better known as a "governor of the people," often sitting on the porch of the Governor's Mansion playing his guitar and singing about topical issues. After two terms - two terms, it is rumored, of a Freeman government with Zimmerman as a figurehead - he declined to run again, electing to fight for the Senate seat recently vacated by Presidential candidate Hubert Humphrey. He lost to National Union candidate Walter Mondale by 1,100 votes.
He declined to run again, and retreated from the public eye for much of the Seventies. It has been alleged that he played sets in Dinkytown bars under various names, and
analysis on letters written to the North Star under the name "Bob Dylan" strongly suggests his authorship. He resurfaced with a 1978 column in the North Star titled "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall", criticizing the administration of President Hollings.
Over the next three decades, he wrote hundreds of columns on behalf of causes like peace in Panama, universal healthcare, and farm aid. He appeared as a regular guest on Morning in America, and debated Bill Buckley thrice on stage. And he played his songs to crowds in Stassen Park.
In 2008, he made his return to politics, running for and winning the Governorship. He has been a rather popular governor, though much of the actual governance has been allegedly left to trusted lieutenants like Ellison and Klobuchar. While he has been talked about as a future Presidential candidate, he has publicly dismissed any run for federal office.

RUCbkwI.png

Previous:
United States presidential election, 2012
Wilkinson v. Louisiana
New England independence referendum, 2015
'Aha'ōlelo Hawai'i elections, 2014

Somewhat tasteless, but I remembered this today and couldn't resist:

gNZysGb.png

Joseph R. "Joe" Kony's short-lived independent campaign for the Presidency in 2011, while ultimately a footnote to history, was one of the first major successes in online political advertising. Kony, a Chicago-area Christian talk radio host, inaugurated his campaign with a thirty-minute autobiographical documentary, Kony 2012, released on YouTube. In the video, Kony portrayed his rise from the child of impoverished Ugandan immigrants to his self-made success in radio, and described his belief that the two-party system had been failing America for decades. The advertisement was a surprising viral hit and within a few days had been viewed nearly 100 million times. Kony 2012 set off a firestorm of media speculation. Critics attacked Kony's vagueness and lack of concrete policy proposals. Supporters celebrated his earnestness, sincerity, and common touch. A series of rapidly commissioned polls showed Kony close behind incumbent President John McCain and his likely Democratic rivals.

The Daily Kos assured Democrats that Kony's socially conservative yet pacifist rhetoric would be sure to split the Republican vote against McCain, who was already facing a loud insurgent movement within his own party to rein in his foreign adventures and deal with the nation's economic crisis. The National Review dreamed up the "Kony Democrat," an aspirational immigrant or minority voter fed up with the "cultural radicalism" of the Democratic elite, who could eventually be pulled into the Republican fold. Slate asked "Has Joseph Kony Memed Politics?"

It was all hype, of course - as the viral hit faded from public view, polls indicated that the more people actually knew about Joe Kony, the less likely they were to consider voting for him. A few weeks after the advertisement's release, Kony's former colleagues began to air disturbing allegations of his threatening behavior, as well as rumors about the radio host's links to political violence in Uganda. Less than a month after the campaign's launch, a video appearing to show the candidate slapping one of his staffers became nearly as big a viral hit as his first advertisement. Joe Kony suspended his campaign shortly after the scandals broke and retired from the public eye. He has since been the subject of several FBI investigations.

Attempts by politicians of both parties to recreate his viral hit have met with, at best, mixed success.

That was part of my thinking, but tell me if that's a positive or a negative for you, and what made you say that.
Oh, that was just an oblique reference to the 9001 polls in pre-1900 asking if the Byzantine Empire was a continuation of the Roman Empire, the Ottoman Empire was a continuation of the Byzantine Empire which was a continuation of the Roman Empire, or whether the Tsardom of Russia was a continuation, etc., etc. :p

The Keanwank part 4(?): LOVEing it
[In Which Tom Colton fails to win the Republican nomination yet again]
One day, damn you all! :evilupset:

Last edited:
Oooh so I'm not the only one using Kean. Interesting little wikiboxes. Like it.

I interned for Kean while in College, so these wikiboxes are my homage to him. Plus I think his core values such as Anti-corruption, which is HUGE here (When I say huge, corruption in my former home town goes down to the DPW workers) would work on a national scale (As in Kean positioning himself as Anti Establishment)

Status
Not open for further replies.