Alternate FIFA World Cup - Argentina '78 (24 teams not 16)

(In Character) What a night that was, I was on a holiday in the Lake distract with my girlfriend when that game was played (we'd leave for home the following day) and even though the town we were in were still buzzing about that victory over Brazil and if I had a pound for every time I heard them sing 'Three Lions'...I'd be a rich man. The locals seemed happy for us to get this far, though it was mainly thinking that we'd be the easy team to play in the final, and there were a few Scots there too who were the rest of us just couldn't believe what our side had just done and hopes of archiving the dream of all Scotland fans of lifting the World Cup at Wembley now started to look even more promising. Our thoughts were that if Argentina could do it in Rio, then so can we in London.

Got to love the social media aspect of it, the fan park at George Square in Glasgow was mental with many throwing their beers up in the air and car horns honking after that game that went into the night, Edinburgh saw similar scenes of a fan park in the Princess Gardens, there with someone flying a Saltire flag from the top of Scott Monument. Dundee was mental with some drunken supporters jumping into the freezing River Tay, how they never froze to death or drown in the state they were in I'll never know, Aberdeen saw street parties and some mad supporter 'surfing' a bus while holding a Lion Rampant and Saltire flag on each hand. Pretty much everyone in Scotland has gotten football fever and it is just a nice feeling to know how England get when they do well in a tournament.

Me and my girlfriend on the way home made the choice that, along with my Dad, uncle and cousins who were back home all buzzing, we'd go down to Manchester for the Semi final and for my Dad, the memories of the penalty shoot out loss at Euro '96 at that very stadium was still an open wound for him and many of our countrymen and that game was the only time my Dad ever cried at a Scotland game. My Uncle was wanting to go as he had been there at that Semi final and was wanting to go back for hopefully exorcise bad memories and hopefully see us make the final.

Belgium will be a hard team to beat, though I suppose with the 'home' advantage and the momentum behind us, football might be coming home...via Glasgow, the birth place of international football. England, no danger, we can beat them ;)

(Out of Character) Another good update, can imagine the mental scenes that would've been taking place. And yes I was away in the Lake distract when the World Cup was on and I did see 'Merry England' there when they got to the Semi finals, lord knows how much more mental it would've been if England have been hosting the tournament ITTL and with Scotland doing well here, well. Also a thing you can add for the next update is not only mention about the Euro '96 history with Old Trafford here and what happened there for Scotland, but also I could see Alex Ferguson down in Manchester trying to get the local Manchester population to get behind the Scots, though I can see the Scots outnumbering the Belgian support 4 to 1 at Old Trafford, haha! :p I'll be there ITTL to give my thoughts on the game! :D

I can see this going to penalties and, with those memories of Euro '96 behind them, the Scots win on the shootout and make the final. Come on Scotland, melt the chocolate makers! :biggrin:

Applause mister Q!!! your contributions are terrific, great to read and to imagine!...and that phrase about Argentina with the Cup in Rio, almost made me cry! Haha…

Thank you for that ideas, I’m sure I’m going to use it about Sir Alex Ferguson and that coincidence about Euro ’96 in this ATL…

Of course there is another question, but I’m going to ask you via PM, I need some advise of some Scottish issue…

Saludos!

France kicking out England in London would feel oh so deliciously good, but I feel like this is heading towards an England v Scotland final amirite ? :p

Better yet, what about the Scots winning the final at Wembley? Now that would be glorious! :extremelyhappy::coldsweat:

FIFA WORLD CUP ENGLAND 2018 - Box of Tricks - Semifinals
BOX OF TRICKS - FIFA WORLD CUP ENGLAND 2018 SEMIFINALS

Until then it was the most important date in Scotland football, since 1996 when atte semifinals lost by penalties against the latent threat (and finally never materialized during the '90s) Czech Republic ... Old Trafford saw thousands of Scottish tears and hands applauding to their heroes who were on the verge of playing the final with England in that Euro of 1996 ...

Twenty years later, Old Trafford gave a new opportunity to Scotland and in the semifinals, but this time the rival was another national team rising today: Belgium ... in this World Cup, of continuous surprises, without any shadow of doubt the Scots had all the possibilities of repeating 1996 of being stopped at the final's gate. It's certainly true that 9 out of 10 matches, Belgium would have every chance to prevail ... but there was always match 10 out of 10, perhaps a tie, perhaps a belgium defeat, or to look for a header in the area , even the ancient Caledonians could resurrect ... the momentum, the streak in a World Cup is decisive, perhaps the next 4 years are horrible for one of these two national teams, but not in June and July 2018 ...

ferguson_and_wenger.jpg

England's manager Arsene Wenger saluting sir Alex Ferguson, both as spectators, minutes before semifinal in Old Trafford between Scotland vs Belgium, July 11, 2018

England was awaiting in the Final, after beating by penalties to the rising France. The solid but not showy level showed by France, and their in crescendo style of play made them the toughest opponent so far for the local. There is no doubt that for the FIFA WORLD CUP AUSTRALIA 2022, France will be a team to keep in mind if Didier Deschamps continues as manager. What was the game, the domain and possession of the ball was local, but that, as was seen in this World Cup is not a determining factor. Until the 25th minute, none of the two teams imposed their touch, their game and it was clear that France's plan was not to let England play and toleave Griezmann, Mbappe and the fake 9 that does not make goals, Giroud, define ... There was no flow, the construction was conspicuous by its absence. Both teams cannot even make three consecutive passes.

But at 31st minute, Harry Kane starts to try on the World Cup goalscorer outfit, when on the first proper construction of game, four consecutive passes and the result, was into the net. Trippier on the right, very fast, center the ball towards Henderson, who let it pass, so that Kane finished behind after a first attempt by Walcott ... after that, the match seems to be animated ... France went on searching, but the clearest of the Gauls was the shot of Griezmann, the man from Atletico Madrid received the ball turned around and shot high to force Pickford to take a prodigious hand.

The second half started with controversy, the referee did not ask the VAR while the entire stadium shouted for the same as the English players ... in the 48th minute, England arrived triangulating the area, maybe even in brazilian way, reaching the French area , in a triangulation, that started and ended in Dele Alli. The Spurs'man could not finish after Kane's last pass because Pavard threw him away. It was a penalty that the referee didn't dare to charge ... the most terrible was that of what followed next, was France draw. After a penalty that referee didn't see and failed to favored England, the French equal after a punt with the fists of Pickford that fell in Umtiti, which finished off net, unstoppable.

If everyone was sure that England's road to their third World Cup was pave because of their previous results, and without even reaching the final, this was a bath of reality difficult to avoid. It wasn't the best time in France into game, but neither was it from England lads, and in the 67th minute, a foul from the right that Wilshere shot and among those who waited was Adam Lallana unexpectedly unmarked, alone, to finish off at will ... the locals went 2-1 ...

France offered a fight, against Wenger's tactical approach, Pogba tried on the left. And the crossed balls to the area of the French became predictable, Giroud of fake 9 was emptying himself with his delayed work, trying to take the ball. And when England found a gap, they were fired towards the rival goal. France began to despair. Griezmann was imprecise until that moment.

The Brazilian referee Sandro Ricci was permissive throughout the match, a regular referee in hot matches of the Copa Libertadores like the one in 2015 Final when River beat Boca in the Bombonera Stadium, today's match seems to be too much for him ... he granted fouls but not cards, and the final minutes, France seemed unable to find the key and minutes were passing without clear opportunities ... but football is ...great... three minutes from the end, in a play of fortune, the center of Lucas from the left, Mbappé yielded from the middle of the area and Griezmann finished with a head. The English GK managed to touch it but the ball finally slipped in ... from there direct to extra time ... as it was recent I will not remind you that it was a boring extra time, except for the hit in the right post of Dele Alli in the first half of the supplementary one and the goal annulled to Giroud, remaining 5 minutes to the end of extra time .

Of penalties well, the right hand of manager Deschamps taking the face, and no one didn't know if he didn't want to see or if he was about to cry of emotion, but the truth was that when Walcott scored his last penalty, the party was unleashed in London and in the rest of England ... the reminiscences when England eliminated on penalties to Argentina, also in the semifinals of the World Cup '90 in USSR (also 2-2 in regular time), added to the mystique and the English dream of the Third star on his shirt ...

And that good mood contributed to the England vs Scotland Final being what was expected, at least in the local mood, maybe because the beast Belgium, which had come to eliminate the last world champion was the strong revelation of this tournament ...

umtiti.jpg

Umtiti equaliser 1-1 at semifinals against England at Emirates Stadium - FIFA WORLD CUP ENGLAND 2018

griezmanndos.jpg

Griezmann put into silence to the local fans at Emirates Stadium, equalising 2-2 when remained 3 minutes to 90 minutes...

England_penalty_shootout_30.jpg

But the last word was English...

-------------------------- --------------------------- ------------------------
So it was the next day, with Arsene Wenger sitting next to Sir Alex Ferguson, at his home in Old Trafford and watching his Scotland (which was manager in Mexico 86, in a fleeting step), added to The Tartan Army to showed who was local in Manchester and in the same place where they stayed at the door of the feat in Euro '96 ... if England could repeat the same thing as the 1990 semifinal, maybe Scotland could redeem itself from that time in 1996.

But the reality showed that Belgium was the national team that seemed destined to be in the final for the first time in its history ... the Belgian dominance was such, that some Argentine journalist compared the Belgian national team as a bulldozer in front of the Scots ... but here Scottish mysticism became a milestone in the World Cup. Scotland, that couldn't cross through half of the pitch. The Belgians always came before them, and Lukaku first and Hazard then hit two shots on the posts, and they were not even 30 minutes from the first half. More than seventy thousand people, witnessed one of the most beautiful matches ever (for the Scots), and more bizarre (For the Belgians).

It was at stake, besides the pass to the final, the Scottish pride and his dream of being face to face against England but before any dream was the reality of Belgian power.

In the process of the match, Belgium surpassed Scotland, who remained withdrawn and playing on the counterattack. Belgium advanced like a bulldozer, missing goals, hitting the post (in total were 5 times belgiums hit the bars) and the exhausted Scots, barely standing the Belgian siege.

But Scotland had a chance, one chance ... from the middle of the field, Berra started a one-two with another Scottish players, before the look of the Belgian midfield, that although superior, it was like a boxer stunned and tired for not being able knock out the rival ... from there, a Brown pass left enabled Naismith who shot with his eyes closed before the departure of Courtois and so that the ball was netted ... the Scots actually barely believe it, even that first was heard only Naismith lonely shout before Old Trafford exploted... no one in the world could believe it , the last big surprise of this World Cup full of surprises was beginning to be consummated. So, 9 minutes from the end, the final was England vs Scotland and not England vs Belgium ... but two minutes before the end the last miracle happened, Lukaku was left alone, after eluding the Scottish GK and finishing ... it was goal... goal ?. ..no, Mulgrew interposed his humanity to become the new Scottish hero ... together with Naismith and the rest of the squad, he could barely touch the ball with his foot, so that it went in suspense at the corner ... a minute later, two fans Scottish entered the stadium and security could get them out, but everyone got nervous, even many Scots ... Wembley 1977 ghost was in the air ... and when the referee appointed the center of the pitch, the final frame, the ghost was embodied. The Tartan Army re-greened its antecedents and invaded the field (although this time didn't broke any post), the players tried to escape, some went to the dressing room, but a couple were uploaded by the fans ... the tears are very recent, but it's hard to forget those two fans in his 20 years, embraced, crying in the middle of the field, that the broadcasting could not avoid taking ... the dream of the islands had become true. The FIFA WORLD CUP ENGLAND 2018 FINAL was England vs Scotland

The invasion would bring consequences, real and imagined. THE final, a last controversy, for the kit t-shirts to be used in the definition match.

For now, the SFA was forced to restrict on the tickets, but still thousands would have gone down anyway to be part of history. Similar with the UEFA cup final in 2008 with Rangers fans in Manchester funnily enough, a lot of them would be at a fan park at the city center who could not get tickets. There were thousands of fans and they were trying to pitch pitch invasions, that would be banned from the decisive game at this WC, but there will still be a large number of them regardless whenever they go places...

Scotland_v_Belgium.jpg

web_scoalb_3.jpg

Naismith and his partners in crime, celebrating the smashing and stunning goal of semifinal...their faces says it all, they could barely believe it...

lukaku.jpg

And Lukaku's incredible missing...

scotland_fan_invades_wembley_pitch_1977.jpg

The 1977 memories of invasion appeared at Old Trafford...to became a 2.18 reality

BUS_Tartan_Army_C968.jpg

Of course without the bus in Old Trafford...

Eng_2018sf.jpg

england_2018_bracket_SF.jpg

PD: thanks to QTXAdsy for some tips!

Last edited:
Oh yes ! And now a Scottish victory at Wembley and the circle of unrealisticness is completed, for my greatest pleasure.

(In Character) Incredible, just incredible. A day that every Scot will remember where they were when we knocked out the Belgians, even as I write this I'm still amazed how we did it. Following the game with Northern Ireland, we had made the choice that me, my girlfriend, Dad, uncle, cousins (my brother in law couldn't make it due to him preparing for a wedding) were all going down for that Semi final in which my Mum somehow managed to get tickets from, how she did I do not know. I do have one memory with that England/France game in which I went into a pub in my hometown to watch it and it was a rather strange atmosphere that it was the only time I've seen Scotland fans actually cheering England on (the other time being that game at Euro '96 with them beating the Dutch) and the reason why is that the folk in that pub all said that England would be an easier opponent than that of France. Once England did win the shootout, there was a good cheer and there were two Englishmen in that pub I must add, then once the cheering had stopped, we began to realise the pressure that was on us that England were in a final and if we were to get there, we had to take on Belgium.

The build up for this game in Scotland was tense to say the least, many didn't give us a chance as the Belgians were a damn good team that had the firepower to knock us into oblivion. As we had to get a train down about 5am, we didn't get much sleep and even if we weren't going down, I don't think I could've slept either as I was so nervous about it. Even at that time in the morning there were a good hundred or so Scots there who were all decked out in their kilts and flags for going down, but I think my group were only a handful who actually had tickets for the game as the majority there didn't and probably like everyone else wanted to be part of history. Our train got us to Edinburgh before we had to change over to another (one that had been specially put on for Scottish fans going down) that would take us west then finally down towards Manchester.

The atmosphere on that train was a strange one as compared to the usual chanting and singing I was use to, everyone was rather quiet and it wasn't just that everyone was still half asleep at that time but really as it was only dawning on all of us just realising that this was going to be the biggest game in the history of Scottish football and no one knew how to react to it. Our train stopped at various stations on route to collect more Scottish fans going down and it wasn't just the hardcore Tartan Army but rather nearly every type of Scot who didn't normally care for football, but this World Cup had captured everyone's imagination. By about 2pm, after a many stops we made to Manchester and I can only say is that I couldn't any local Mancunian there as all I could see was a sea of blue everywhere as Manchester had well and truly become a little part of Scotland there.

My girlfriend had always wanted to return to Manchester since she hadn't been in years and in someway this whole trip seemed like a good excuse for that to happen and she did take me around to visit some locations that would prove to be a wee distraction to the football. There was the local Scottish news from BBC Scotland and STV that were down interviewing fans and my group (who I managed to get back again after me and my better half went our separate way from them) didn't bother as we went up to Old Trafford in readiness for the game however there was this one funny moment I remember in which during lunchtime sitting in a Wetherspoon that was filled with, not surprisingly by now, many Scots and when we went to get the bill, the waiter said to us, 'good luck, see you in the final.' That may have been a wee laugh in itself, but when we went outside there was a set of English supporters on one side of the road and Scots on the other side both trying to out chant each other and throw insults like rotten fruit, it was a funny scene that has since found itself on YouTube.

Finally we arrived at Old Trafford and we managed to get quite good seats nearby the tunnel and had a good view of the ground and I will say I will say that the Tartan Army outnumbered the Belgian support 3 to 1 (or 3 to 2, I'm not actually sure) but the Belgian fans were nonetheless putting up a spirted performance themselves. Of course my uncle was here during Euro '96 and he looked pretty tense and perhaps never thought that he'd be here again to see Scotland in another Semi final, in a World Cup of all things. But he wasn't the only one for as I looked round seeing many Scots fill their seats, chances were that there was a more than likely chance that many were thinking of that game many years ago and those who happened to be there who like my uncle were here to hopefully exorcize a demon in us.

77281-smicer-seeks-to-turn-the-tartan-army.jpg

Just a small section of the amount of Scottish fans in Old Trafford on the upper tier

The game itself I thought was a bit more open than I thought very earlier on as we did get right into their faces but couldn't seem to score, however as we all know, Belgium regained control of the game and put us right under the cosh as honestly I can't remember much as I spent more time covering my eyes as the Belgians tried to find an opening goal and I couldn't see just how we were going to score in this, let alone actually win it. They hit the bar God knows how many times and also many times my heart went into my mouth, though despite the utter battering we got, we someone kept it scoreless at the break and my girlfriend could see that me and the rest of our group looked weary in which she said something that did make us relax a bit. "No need to fear," she said, "if they can't score here then that's something to look forward for, they are better making chocolates than football."

It was actually relaxing and probably what we needed as we went off to get refreshments. The second half was mainly the same as the first half in which the Belgians totally outplayed us my uncle the whole time had his hands over his mouth while swaying slightly, you could see that he was reliving memories of Euro '96 there as were perhaps many in that stadium and watching live back home. And then of course came the goal for Scotland which I remember clearly. We all stood up thinking something was about to happen and when Naismith knocked it in, you can only imagine the scenes that happen in which I felt myself being thrown forward and the noise that greeted the goal could've deafened me. My Mum would later say, being at home, would recall that when the goal happened, the whole street erupted too as were the sounds of car horns being heard in the distance.

article-2392915-1B4C0520000005DC-49_470x598.jpg

A father and son celebrate when Scotland take the lead in Manchester

When I got back on my feet again, I notice that even some of the English security men were actually happy that Scotland had scored and there were some who tried to get on the pitch were quickly dealt with and my Dad was shaking saying, "I don't believe it, I don't f*****g believe it!". Of course it was far from over and everyone seemed to go into slow motion when Lukaku had his missed as I really thought that they would score and eventually find a way to win, but once it went past I nearly fainted doing almost a Sabella and falling into some fan behind me.

Then came the final whistle, my God I've never felt such joy over a Scotland victory but my group weren't part of the many who invaded the pitch but rather we all just broke down crying at what had just happened but Old Trafford was rocking and a few things stick out in my mind there, the Belgian fans and players all looking deflated, some of the Scottish players being surrounded by overjoyed fans, Gordon Strachan being carried on the shoulders of Leigh Griffiths, Scott Brown and several of the players while being paraded around the field like a conquering hero. But most of all up in the VIP box (thanks to the big screen showing it) Alex Fergusson looking the happiest I'd ever seen him and even Rod Stewart who was there to cheer on Scotland who was crying his eyes out from sheer pride. Funnily enough he had been that at Wembley '77 and one could imagine if he would've loved to be on that pitch.

Rod%20Stewart%20crying%20as%20Celtic%20beat%20Barcelona

An iconic image to sum up Scotland's mad run of England 2018
My group couldn't stay for long as we had a train to catch that got us home just after midnight, but the clips of mad cap Scots celebrating in Manchester and even when I got home, the celebrations were all going long into the night with no one sleeping with Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Perth, Dundee and pretty much every place in Scotland were having midnight street parties, to sum it up the whole country had grinded to a standstill. When me and my Dad got home, my Mum hugged saying, 'what has just happened?'

Even now I still don't know how it happened, but Scotland were into a World Cup final...at Wembley. We weren't needing visas, we didn't need passports, but the battle for tickets had started and one thing was for sure, the Tartan Army were coming down the road once again, and I hoped to be part of it...somehow.

(Out of Character) YAAAAAAAAAAAA BEAUTTTTTYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!! Fantastic update again and actually it was really much appreciated as I've had quite a touch week a work due my taxi having alternator problems and this really put a smile on my face so thank you so much, Rurpeto! :) So we get an England/Scotland final at Wembley...oh boy this will be a crazy game no doubt and one can imagine the entire UK being at a standstill for such a huge game. Also I find it oddly fitting that since your ATL started in 1978 that 40 years after his failed attempt to win in Argentina, this man ITTL will no doubt be looking down with pride...

381c7287e9c3e5b26c7554809c652c96.jpg

Can't wait to see the next update, Will we see a third star over the three Lions or a single star above the lion Rampant? It's going to be mad. Plus off topic but I see that Australia ITTL is hosting the WC in 2022 (a far better choice IMO and one that should honestly get it) then who's hosting it in 2026 and 2030? With now no British bid for 2030 because of this, it'll possibly the Uruguay/Argentina/Paraguay bid then? In the meantine, I'll be keeping a close on whatever happens next! :)

Oh yes ! And now a Scottish victory at Wembley and the circle of unrealisticness is completed, for my greatest pleasure.
Well, if you want to, you can make yourself your own TL and I will be very pleased to read it...meanwhile, you can read mine for inspiration, and see how France was already twice World Champion ITTL.

PS. I'm sure you have never expected the ageing Croatia with their improvised mánager at final or Germany out in round robin...or France needing one point out of two matches to qualy to USA 94 and loosing the two matches being local to not even qualify...or Chile beating Argentina in two consecutive finals..wow, if you want some more "realistic" thing, please, go to FIFA.COM and you will have a great day

(In Character) Incredible, just incredible. A day that every Scot will remember where they were when we knocked out the Belgians, even as I write this I'm still amazed how we did it. Following the game with Northern Ireland, we had made the choice that me, my girlfriend, Dad, uncle, cousins (my brother in law couldn't make it due to him preparing for a wedding) were all going down for that Semi final in which my Mum somehow managed to get tickets from, how she did I do not know. I do have one memory with that England/France game in which I went into a pub in my hometown to watch it and it was a rather strange atmosphere that it was the only time I've seen Scotland fans actually cheering England on (the other time being that game at Euro '96 with them beating the Dutch) and the reason why is that the folk in that pub all said that England would be an easier opponent than that of France. Once England did win the shootout, there was a good cheer and there were two Englishmen in that pub I must add, then once the cheering had stopped, we began to realise the pressure that was on us that England were in a final and if we were to get there, we had to take on Belgium.

The build up for this game in Scotland was tense to say the least, many didn't give us a chance as the Belgians were a damn good team that had the firepower to knock us into oblivion. As we had to get a train down about 5am, we didn't get much sleep and even if we weren't going down, I don't think I could've slept either as I was so nervous about it. Even at that time in the morning there were a good hundred or so Scots there who were all decked out in their kilts and flags for going down, but I think my group were only a handful who actually had tickets for the game as the majority there didn't and probably like everyone else wanted to be part of history. Our train got us to Edinburgh before we had to change over to another (one that had been specially put on for Scottish fans going down) that would take us west then finally down towards Manchester.

The atmosphere on that train was a strange one as compared to the usual chanting and singing I was use to, everyone was rather quiet and it wasn't just that everyone was still half asleep at that time but really as it was only dawning on all of us just realising that this was going to be the biggest game in the history of Scottish football and no one knew how to react to it. Our train stopped at various stations on route to collect more Scottish fans going down and it wasn't just the hardcore Tartan Army but rather nearly every type of Scot who didn't normally care for football, but this World Cup had captured everyone's imagination. By about 2pm, after a many stops we made to Manchester and I can only say is that I couldn't any local Mancunian there as all I could see was a sea of blue everywhere as Manchester had well and truly become a little part of Scotland there.

My girlfriend had always wanted to return to Manchester since she hadn't been in years and in someway this whole trip seemed like a good excuse for that to happen and she did take me around to visit some locations that would prove to be a wee distraction to the football. There was the local Scottish news from BBC Scotland and STV that were down interviewing fans and my group (who I managed to get back again after me and my better half went our separate way from them) didn't bother as we went up to Old Trafford in readiness for the game however there was this one funny moment I remember in which during lunchtime sitting in a Wetherspoon that was filled with, not surprisingly by now, many Scots and when we went to get the bill, the waiter said to us, 'good luck, see you in the final.' That may have been a wee laugh in itself, but when we went outside there was a set of English supporters on one side of the road and Scots on the other side both trying to out chant each other and throw insults like rotten fruit, it was a funny scene that has since found itself on YouTube.

Finally we arrived at Old Trafford and we managed to get quite good seats nearby the tunnel and had a good view of the ground and I will say I will say that the Tartan Army outnumbered the Belgian support 3 to 1 (or 3 to 2, I'm not actually sure) but the Belgian fans were nonetheless putting up a spirted performance themselves. Of course my uncle was here during Euro '96 and he looked pretty tense and perhaps never thought that he'd be here again to see Scotland in another Semi final, in a World Cup of all things. But he wasn't the only one for as I looked round seeing many Scots fill their seats, chances were that there was a more than likely chance that many were thinking of that game many years ago and those who happened to be there who like my uncle were here to hopefully exorcize a demon in us.

77281-smicer-seeks-to-turn-the-tartan-army.jpg

Just a small section of the amount of Scottish fans in Old Trafford on the upper tier

The game itself I thought was a bit more open than I thought very earlier on as we did get right into their faces but couldn't seem to score, however as we all know, Belgium regained control of the game and put us right under the cosh as honestly I can't remember much as I spent more time covering my eyes as the Belgians tried to find an opening goal and I couldn't see just how we were going to score in this, let alone actually win it. They hit the bar God knows how many times and also many times my heart went into my mouth, though despite the utter battering we got, we someone kept it scoreless at the break and my girlfriend could see that me and the rest of our group looked weary in which she said something that did make us relax a bit. "No need to fear," she said, "if they can't score here then that's something to look forward for, they are better making chocolates than football."

It was actually relaxing and probably what we needed as we went off to get refreshments. The second half was mainly the same as the first half in which the Belgians totally outplayed us my uncle the whole time had his hands over his mouth while swaying slightly, you could see that he was reliving memories of Euro '96 there as were perhaps many in that stadium and watching live back home. And then of course came the goal for Scotland which I remember clearly. We all stood up thinking something was about to happen and when Naismith knocked it in, you can only imagine the scenes that happen in which I felt myself being thrown forward and the noise that greeted the goal could've deafened me. My Mum would later say, being at home, would recall that when the goal happened, the whole street erupted too as were the sounds of car horns being heard in the distance.

article-2392915-1B4C0520000005DC-49_470x598.jpg

A father and son celebrate when Scotland take the lead in Manchester

When I got back on my feet again, I notice that even some of the English security men were actually happy that Scotland had scored and there were some who tried to get on the pitch were quickly dealt with and my Dad was shaking saying, "I don't believe it, I don't f*****g believe it!". Of course it was far from over and everyone seemed to go into slow motion when Lukaku had his missed as I really thought that they would score and eventually find a way to win, but once it went past I nearly fainted doing almost a Sabella and falling into some fan behind me.

Then came the final whistle, my God I've never felt such joy over a Scotland victory but my group weren't part of the many who invaded the pitch but rather we all just broke down crying at what had just happened but Old Trafford was rocking and a few things stick out in my mind there, the Belgian fans and players all looking deflated, some of the Scottish players being surrounded by overjoyed fans, Gordon Strachan being carried on the shoulders of Leigh Griffiths, Scott Brown and several of the players while being paraded around the field like a conquering hero. But most of all up in the VIP box (thanks to the big screen showing it) Alex Fergusson looking the happiest I'd ever seen him and even Rod Stewart who was there to cheer on Scotland who was crying his eyes out from sheer pride. Funnily enough he had been that at Wembley '77 and one could imagine if he would've loved to be on that pitch.

Rod%20Stewart%20crying%20as%20Celtic%20beat%20Barcelona

An iconic image to sum up Scotland's mad run of England 2018
My group couldn't stay for long as we had a train to catch that got us home just after midnight, but the clips of mad cap Scots celebrating in Manchester and even when I got home, the celebrations were all going long into the night with no one sleeping with Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Perth, Dundee and pretty much every place in Scotland were having midnight street parties, to sum it up the whole country had grinded to a standstill. When me and my Dad got home, my Mum hugged saying, 'what has just happened?'

Even now I still don't know how it happened, but Scotland were into a World Cup final...at Wembley. We weren't needing visas, we didn't need passports, but the battle for tickets had started and one thing was for sure, the Tartan Army were coming down the road once again, and I hoped to be part of it...somehow.

(Out of Character) YAAAAAAAAAAAA BEAUTTTTTYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!! Fantastic update again and actually it was really much appreciated as I've had quite a touch week a work due my taxi having alternator problems and this really put a smile on my face so thank you so much, Rurpeto! :) So we get an England/Scotland final at Wembley...oh boy this will be a crazy game no doubt and one can imagine the entire UK being at a standstill for such a huge game. Also I find it oddly fitting that since your ATL started in 1978 that 40 years after his failed attempt to win in Argentina, this man ITTL will no doubt be looking down with pride...

381c7287e9c3e5b26c7554809c652c96.jpg

Can't wait to see the next update, Will we see a third star over the three Lions or a single star above the lion Rampant? It's going to be mad. Plus off topic but I see that Australia ITTL is hosting the WC in 2022 (a far better choice IMO and one that should honestly get it) then who's hosting it in 2026 and 2030? With now no British bid for 2030 because of this, it'll possibly the Uruguay/Argentina/Paraguay bid then? In the meantine, I'll be keeping a close on whatever happens next! :)

Thank your for posting that QTXAdsy! the In Character was really more than excellent ...and so sorry about your taxi with problems... about Ally McLeod and myself starting this TL in 1978, it is certainly odd and I didn't realised about that!....the Sabella impersonation was a one of I must say...and Rod Stewart's pic crying is terrific!, i was thinking all week about write some paragraph about him in here and then I completely forgot. About FIFA WORLD CUP 2026, in the next post I will reveal it, meanhwile I will tell you that won't be of 48 teams, still...

Well, if you want to, you can make yourself your own TL and I will be very pleased to read it...meanwhile, you can read mine for inspiration, and see how France was already twice World Champion ITTL.

PS. I'm sure you have never expected the ageing Croatia with their improvised mánager at final or Germany out in round robin...or France needing one point out of two matches to qualy to USA 94 and loosing the two matches being local to not even qualify...or Chile beating Argentina in two consecutive finals..wow, if you want some more "realistic" thing, please, go to FIFA.COM and you will have a great day

You misunderstand me. I love unrealistic results x)

FIFA WORLD CUP AUSTRALIA 2022 - Venues
It's going to be mad. Plus off topic but I see that Australia ITTL is hosting the WC in 2022 (a far better choice IMO and one that should honestly get it) then who's hosting it in 2026 and 2030? With now no British bid for 2030 because of this, it'll possibly the Uruguay/Argentina/Paraguay bid then? In the meantine, I'll be keeping a close on whatever happens next! :)

Well, as everybody knows the next World Cup will be held in Australia, which is part of AFC, due that, you must know that 2026 FIFA WORLD CUP won't be held in Asia but in Europe...(Germany? Turkey?...stay in tune next week), and for 2030 Argentina-Uruguay is bidding but not with Paraguay...besides, Argentina, as was stated pages before, is a much more stable country, so chances to celebrate the 100th year- World Cup are bigger than OTL.

Meanwhile, some sights of future...

Australia_2022_ad.jpg

That was taken from Wembley Screen the Final day, It was aired several times during the worldwide broadcasting on July 15, 2018

Australia_2022_2.jpg

cropped_australia_2022_jpg.jpg

And Venues...
Australia_2022.jpg

Thank your for posting that QTXAdsy! the In Character was really more than excellent ...and so sorry about your taxi with problems... about Ally McLeod and myself starting this TL in 1978, it is certainly odd and I didn't realised about that!....the Sabella impersonation was a one of I must say...and Rod Stewart's pic crying is terrific!, i was thinking all week about write some paragraph about him in here and then I completely forgot. About FIFA WORLD CUP 2026, in the next post I will reveal it, meanhwile I will tell you that won't be of 48 teams, still...

Can imagine Rod Stewart being at the final and singing TTL's shitty WC song for Scotland, now at No.1 in the charts due to Scotland's run. Possibly the one bad sin of Scotland getting that far! x'D

Speaking of him, also thinking of famous Scottish and English celebrities being at Wembley for such a historic game, plus this game we see the Victor earn eternal bragging rights, no pressure there!

Also another thing to add with the Queen being there in the VIP box, where will her loyalties lie, Windsor or Balmoral? Or perhaps, a rare in that stadium, a neutral? :rolleyes: will be fun to see some of the other amusing things apart from the final itself to show the mad hype of the game which the British press will dub as 'the game of the century' or something like that.

Can't wait to see what happens next, what home will football being heading to...?:coldsweat:

FIFA WORLD CUP ENGLAND 2018 - FINAL & FIFA WORLD CUP GERMANY 2026 VENUES
FIFA WORLD CUP ENGLAND 2018

FINAL

Before the final there were two controversies, one, after the invasion of the Tartan Army to the field, in the semifinal in Manchester, hundreds of Scots were banned to see the final, hundreds who had their tickets purchased and another controversial, within the The same occurred between the FA, the SFA and FIFA for the reduction of tickets for the final for the Scots ... which also did not diminish their presence in Wembley and in the vicinity of the Stadium.

The other controversy was that England, in tribute to the champions of 1966, insisted on playing with their red shirt ... which implied that Scotland played with his pink shirt, which generated some issues as the Scots and for such a special occasion, wanted to play the final with their traditional kit. Like FIFA regulation (which comes from the times of the B / W broadcasting) talks about one team wearing a clear kit and the other predominantly dark clothing, something like that could not happen ... so Scotland's sponsor, ADIDAS, found a half solution but accepted by all. Scotland would play with their traditional shirt, but white sleeves would be added, and everyone was happy ... what left a unique kit for the final

The closing ceremony left Maluma and another pair of artists of the moment and forgettable, but left two pearls ... in a kind of nostalgic flashback ... Baddiel & Skinner and Ian Broudie sang "three Lions" with the obvious support of almost entire stadium , singing along "It's coming home ... It's coming home ..." but also, after his performance, appeared Rod Stewart, who embraced with the humorists and to The Lightning Seeds' lead singer ... and then he had his act and sang Scotland's WC song 'The big trip to England', which despite how crap it sounds, has done very well in the UK charts due to Scotland's run at the WC by challenging 'Three Lions' to try and hit No.1 in the charts. It was booed by the English support while the same thing happens when Three lions is played and is booed by the Scots, all in front of the Royal family which was just a funny image to think about, to then sing its infamous 1978 song " Ole Ola ", with the presence of Ronaldinho Gaucho playing the drums ... (the Brazilian star had previously entered with Maluma et al, and had not left the stadium) ...

For the Royal Guests Obviously the Queen to the trophy to the winning side like she did in 1966 and 1996, Prince William would be there too as well, and, etc ...

The match...

Scotland took to the court with maximum concentration, something that was clear from the initial moment, when Snodgrass put a ball to S. Armstrong, who miss a real clear goal chance that didn't get to define by very little. In the 1st half, England could not deploy their game, and Wembley's roar was a wind that carried the team forward but couldn't form a clear idea of play but without make the scottish to suffer to Harry Kane, and neither Raheem Sterling, who was booked at 35 minutes.

Before that, when were the 7 minutes, Lallana enabled with a pass with his foot cue to Ashley Young, solved badly, and everything seemed to indicate that England would be the irrepressible team determined to make history and that Scotland was to finalize its good relationship with luck...however, and with the passing of minutes, the Scottish spirit began to take strength, showing that if there was much luck, there was also a spirit of body and began to contain the English ... Dele Alli was not sharp , but in that containment, the English claimed a penalty when Gordon went out to catch Alli himself, who fell in the area ... the referee Pitana made consultations and the game was delayed a few moments, only for finally, and after consultation with VAR referees, not sentencing absolutely nothing, with which he won the first boos of the afternoon. Until, at 44 minutes, the opening of the scoreboard came, after a cross from the left of Kieran Tierney, Leigh Griffiths anticipates Walker with a header to open the scoring for Scotland, the ball entered tight on the right post of Pickford ... the stadium exploded ... at least the tartan army side, and the Scottish players celebrated by making a virtual human mountain on Griffiths ... although there was plenty of time to play, a lot. But nobody was missing the fact, and less to the Scots, who were 45 minutes away from being CHAMPIONS OF THE WORLD …

griffiths.jpg

griffiths2.jpg

Scotland opens the score at the final 1-0...madness is all around

For the start of 2nd half, Wenger put Theo Walcott on field, a clear message that England would go all out to win the match. That assessment was correct as Scotland was delayed to take a backlash, while England began to deploy its offensive power. Kane with a cross shot, almost equal, then in minute 55 Gordon put a hand to hand Walcott. For that minute, the Scottish manager also made changes in the midfield, but Scotland was playing on his field and could not get out of counterattack. Gordon was brilliant against the English attackers.

Scotland was completely overwhelmed until the goal came from Harry Kane (1-1), who sent a header over the goal, causing delirium in the field in the 61st minute.

After the celebrations, mixture of relief and joy of the English at Wembley, England appeared a bit more whole against a Scotland stunned by the goal conceded and quite fatigued. But the festivities also served to cool the match a bit, for the benefit of Strachan and his lieutenants

But after a few minutes post goal, the tone of the game seemed to lower the intensity, again England began to push and, with his combination game or through actions of courage, like one of Sterling, who was the most lucid man in England, tried to equalize the score, but the action of the midfield attacking didn't find an Alli who did not expect the error in the output of Gordon. Or when Lallana, in the 80th minute, made a great personal play without reward.

kane.jpg

England's equailser...1-1 at Wembley. With that goal, Kane became the third english top scorer in 40 years. Kevin Keegan was in Argentina 1978, Gary Lineker in Mexico 1986 and now Harry Kane in England 2018

England's ball posession and presence at 3/4 of field, began to be huge and then Scotland rethought the game and the sense of it. They didn't care to take a few steps back, cover all the holes, press and bite the rivals that create, and leave only Naismith on the edge to hunt some, until he was replaced in the 89th minute ... a questionable decision but Strachan seemed to bet on penalties.

When Pitana marked the end of the 90 minutes regulation, the local applause mixed with the cries of the Scots that seemed to celebrate as if the game had been won ... maybe they felt that way ... and so it was seen in the broadcasting worldwide...

When extra time began, England was not comfortable. As in the first half regulation, Arsene Wenger had problems on all lines, since the center of the field, had no space or received with comfort. Sterling moved to the wide area to add wicks with which to associate with Alli and Kane, and left the left wing for Walcott, who attacked in some actions but alone.

However, by the 101st minute the clearest chances were English ... Scotland did not pass the 3/4 of the ptich and they already assumed that this would be defined by penalties, like the final France vs Argentina, in World Cup Italy 1998

It was not until the second quarter of an hour when England put the direct and a precise center of Lingard, Sterling put the chest to accompany the ball to the bottom of the meshes and set the 1-2 and, ultimately, encourage England to achieve its third World Cup, now yes, it could be said that a World Cup for each lion on his shirt, provoke the sound explosion of a bigger stadium of the whole tournament and provoke tears in the face of the French manager in charge of England. The Scotsmen also shed their tears ... the images returned tears everywhere, happiness and sadness or impotence ... but in both fans the tears were of indescribable pride ... When the referee Pitana concluded the match and ruled that England are the new World Champions (a fact of 100% effectiveness, two world cup organized, two World Cup won, unlike Brazil ... two World Cup organized, two World Cup not won). ..

Readers remember well the celebrations in England as a champion and throughout Scotland, for such a feat as to describe them again ... the recent edition of postage stamps and even a Sterling commemorative ticket, were two of the most memorable events recently...

ENG18_F2.jpg

ENG18_FI.jpg

england_2018_bracket_F.jpg

festejos_en_londres.jpg

The day after...the champions caravan througout London streets...

keane_con_la_copa.jpg

Harry Kane with the Cup at press conference...

sterling.jpg

Memorabilia of champions...

estampillas.jpg

Post Stamps...

wc_winners.jpg

England's official plane, taken from their arrival to Rio de Janeiro to play their first official game as World Champions in september 2018 (England 1 vs Brazil 1 in Rio...then England 1 vs Argentina 1 at Mario Kempes' Stadium in Córdoba four days later)

PS: Thanks to QTXAdsy for some tips again.

PS 2: by the way the 2026 FIFA WORLD CUP will be in Germany, perhaps the last with 32 teams ... probably the 2030 will be in Argentina-Uruguay and the fight will be very close and interesting, extrafutbolistica, to choose the host of 2034, given that China but also USA (together with Mexico and Canada), they want to organize it ...

alt_2026_wc2.jpg

For now we have a long way to Australia 2022 ... so until the next right!

Last edited:
(In Character) Tears and pride, that's all I can say on that day on the 15th July. Following the Semi final victory, the hype and build up to the final was insane as pretty much everyone I knew wanted to go to Wembley, even my Rugby mad loving fellow taxi driver who hated football was wanting to be part of it which does say a lot. As you know, ticket sales to the Scots was limited to 20 to 30,000 something, could quite remember the figures. Even with this limitation, the demand for tickets was high with the website crashing due to the high figures of a million, yes that's right, trying to get tickets. If that didn't show how hyped up was a country of 5 million was feeling then I don't know what is.

I tried to get tickets but sadly I couldn't get any, but my uncle and cousin managed though and would join a Caledonian cavalcade down the M6 motorway which the sight of an endless line of cars and buses cladded in Scotland flags became quite well documented in many YouTube videos if you remember them. Some were using planes and others used trains (A real life Planes, Trains and Automobile affair!) And when they all got to London, where were all the English support? I think they must've underestimated the Scots coming down in large numbers, but with it being a WC final in your arch rival's home patch, why not be part of history.

Speaking of the mass exodus from Scotland, there was one funny front page title from the Daily Record newspaper that had the Scotland badge on the front with the headline reading 'Your Chance To Become Legends' with a sub header in brackets saying 'And will the last person leaving Scotland turn the light off please!' Giving how many were leaving even without tickets, it seemed like a fair point. In my town of Kirkcaldy, there was this big screen in the Beveredge Park showing the game live and in every house had at least a Saltire flag flying with many wearing Scotland tops, surely they must've made a fortune with how much they sold. While it was sunny for the final, the weather in Scotland that day was drizzly and footage from many fanparks showed people with umbrellas and it was just typical after so many days of sunshine and on the biggest day of Scottish football, the heavens had to open up.

I instead went to a local pub in the town with my Dad with the outside all being deserted as everyone was tuning in to watch the game. It was built up as the greatest day in the history of British football, yet the tension was there in the final half hour before kick off as we knew whoever won this game would have bragging rights for all time.

I do remember Rod Stewart singing and being booed on the TV, however despite it being a hit, many in the pub I was in seemed to hate it too and I must say it is the only time in which both sides seemed to hate something. Then we get into the game itself and I will say that Scotland started the game very well, though the penalty incident had us sweating bricks and you can imagine how relived we were when the referee said no.

Then came the first goal, dear Lord what a moment! Scenes of utter madness in that pub followed with everyone getting soaked with drink and you can imagine similar scenes of celebrations across Scotland despite the bad weather. I and several others ran outside and you could hear cheering taking place with cars honking their horns too, I did think that if that was for now, God knows what would happen if we win this game?

I will say that my heart nearly went when Griffiths scored as I couldn't believe it, though my Dad fainted with shock and it was all a bit mental in both a good and bad sense. When half time did come around and the scoreline came up on the screen, pretty much everyone got out their phones and took a picture of the score reading England 0 - 1 Scotland, and when my Dad did recover, he asked me if this all for real. I really didn't know and could only hope it was all too good to be true...

Looking back in hindsight, I think many began to enjoy themselves a bit too much thinking that they had already won, but I was fearful of tempting fate knowing how well this England team could be. I don't remember much of the second half as England did perform better and the good noise in that pub grew more weary as each minute ticked by. Then came Kane's goal and the mood fell apart and one angry guy threw his half drunken glass of beer over at the large screen in anger in which he nearly got barred for damages. When full time happened, some were thinking that we could take the game to penalties and win, but momentum was with England throughout the second half and it was all going to end all badly for us. We were pretty bad in extra time and it was confirmed when Sterling scored and the atmosphere in that pub became like that of a morgue from then on and tears were shed, me included, as in the end, we lost the final.

I do remember the standing ovation the Scotland players as the fans in Wembley tried to raise their spirts up, but the thought of us winning it is a painful what if. Still, when the team returned at Glasgow airport they got a warm reception for such a brave run that sadly may never be repeated again. God knows if Strachen will stay on despite everyone wanting him to carry on for Euro 2020, and the bizarre calls of making him a Saint, which hopefully the experience from this WC will hopefully lead us on to doing one step better. Anyone else have memories of the game?

(Out of Character) and so it comes to an end...at least for now. Despite the result not being the one I hoped for, it was a good one and I did laugh at Rod Stewart getting booed haha! :p take it Euro 2020 will be like a Europe wide tournament like OTL which means Hampden park will be there and the final will be at Wembley. Maybe Scotland will get revenge there...?

Anyway, better get working on my TL now, hopefully it won't be long until we get another football TL from you soon! :)

Last edited:
I have a feeling this will be the end..... for 4 years! Great TL mate! Thanks!

Thank you very much Matthew for reading my TL from the beginning!...from now on, i will, and I'm doing that, some wikiboxes, improving and adding some, like Copa America 83 and Euro 84, on page 3..and Euro 92 after USSR '90...and I will continue doing so...So you are welcome to watch it right now

Saludos