Alternate FIFA World Cup - Argentina '78 (24 teams not 16)

"Entangled in their own vices" is perhaps not the best phrase, unless you know a lot more about these people than I do.

x'Dx'Dx'Dx'Dx'Dx'Dx'Dx'Dx'Dx'D I didn't realize until you tell me how dirty it sounds!...I was thinking in habits had Dutch team has every 10 years, ageing teams, not wanting to change tactics despite the players are not responding the way they were, and that habit about not to let go old glories and call newbies, but very young, but bad assembled, like they did in 1981 or in 2001...in spanish we use the same term "vice" or "vicio", when you repeat the same acts that leads you to none así well...

Last edited:
(In Character) Ah yes, I was there in Newcastle when we defeated Egypt! :openedeyewink: Was a funny Sunday getting up early to make the game with my Dad, uncle, brother in law and cousin as we took the train down in which was filled with many Scottish supporters all drunk by the time we reached Berwick, by the time we reached Newcastle the train reeked of whisky and beer. But yeah I remember when that second goal for Scotland went in and some of the supporters went onto the field, we couldn't do that as we were up in the second tier of St James' Park, but it was stupid of them to do that and has become the 21st century's answer to the happy hooligans of Wembley '77. But it was a fun journey back up the east coast with everyone having a sing song, even some of the English folk on the train joined in too. Then again we do have to put up with that awful WC song for Scotland, 'The Big Trip to England', in which I'm sure Rod Stewart was drunk when he did it.

(Out of character) But seriously, fantastic update this is. Nice to see that Syria qualifying ITTL along with Northern Ireland and Iran actually getting through, the latter I did feel sorry that they didn't get out of the group stage. Pity about Wales though but then again they were in a tough group here so it probably was only going to go one way or the other. Funnily enough for Italy, it is the same as what happened to them in 1966 falling to third in the group and behind a Korean team, just like swings and roundabouts, haha! What does the round of last 16 look like then? Looking forward for the Knockout stage! :)

BRILLANT!!! BRILLANT QTXAdsy!!, i want more scottish reports from England 2018!

BRILLANT!!! BRILLANT QTXAdsy!!, i want more scottish reports from England 2018!

Happy to oblige, mate! :biggrin: One thing for certain that Scotland during this WC will be gripped by football fever and more so thanks to finishing top of the group, actually the whole of the UK has gotten football fever. :) Also I could picture many members of the Tartan Army camping out across England which becomes a memorable image, either for best or worst, of this WC. So I take it Scotland is facing off Syria I take it then in the last 16?

Happy to oblige, mate! :biggrin: One thing for certain that Scotland during this WC will be gripped by football fever and more so thanks to finishing top of the group, actually the whole of the UK has gotten football fever. :) Also I could picture many members of the Tartan Army camping out across England which becomes a memorable image, either for best or worst, of this WC. So I take it Scotland is facing off Syria I take it then in the last 16?

Thank you Q!, yes!, I would be very pleased if you put some pics of the tartan army camping across England, it would be very interesting!.

One thing is sure, in OTL Russia...even previous days before WC, there was no football fever at all, it only started a few days after the competition started. Across UK it would have been really different this "breathing football" thing, before the Cup started, and during the WC.

About the round o 16, today I will put the brackets

england_2018_bracket.jpg

Thank you Q!, yes!, I would be very pleased if you put some pics of the tartan army camping across England, it would be very interesting!.

One thing is sure, in OTL Russia...even previous days before WC, there was no football fever at all, it only started a few days after the competition started. Across UK it would have been really different this "breathing football" thing, before the Cup started, and during the WC.

About the round o 16, today I will put the brackets

(In Character) Not my own, but here is one Tartan Army foot solider somewhere in Liverpool after the Iran game, having had one drink too many, who decided to sleep on the streets to follow the team with no money on him to find a place to stay at.
article-2392915-1B4B6896000005DC-450_470x668.jpg

Indeed when we all saw it was Syria we were facing, we all were like, 'Hang on a minute, it's Syria in the last sixteen, this is surely a bye to the Quarters, we play them and we get to the last eight.'

(Out Of Character) Looking forward to seeing the knockout phase there, Judging by how the draw is lining up, I'm already thinking who might be facing who and giving the shock results in OTL's 2018 WC, we'll surely see some crazy results and scores here. :)

FIFA WORLD CUP ENGLAND 2018 - Round of 16 Results
Some Round of 16 Highlights - FIFA WORLD CUP ENGLAND 2018

In the beginning the two prioritized not to make mistakes but the one who committed them first was Uruguay, when the English goal came at 5th minute, with a great outing of John Stones from the back, with dominated ball, Lingard's opening to the right for Raheem Sterling who returned the ball for the almost unmarked arrival of Dele Alli, who converted with a precise and crossed shot against the right post of the Uruguayan goalkeeper Muslera. It was a good time for England who wasted the chance of 2-0 in the 10th minute at Kane's feet…

From there the game stabilized and Uruguay approached but without generating apparent danger, except for a shot by Luis Suarez just started the second time, after the departure of a corner, which hit the left post of the goalkeeper, and bounced on an English defender to go to the corner ... play on which the Uruguayans asked for the VAR, since they claimed the hand of Stones, but that the referee ignored, but stopped the match 5 minutes ...

England was beginning to feel like it would be a long afternoon, but in the 57th minute, a corner shot from the left to the far post, Muslera came out to anticipate very badly and left Dele Alli surprisingly free to head off ... leaving the 2- 0 for the English. But the Uruguayans would go again and again to the charge, until only five minutes after the second English goal, Cavani with an impeccable free kick over the barrier that left the GK Pickford static, stopped, and saw how the ball entered in. the angle of the right post. From there, the place fell back, but Uruguay was well braked in 3/4 of the field, and the changing development of the match made it more indecipherable, but when the goals came at a time when each didn't seem worthy. But football is not about deserving it, and the team of Le Professeur, passed a test of fire, but now came the always candidate Brazil ...

--------------------------------------------------

Messi was a VIP spectator during the first half, but at halftime something happened ... because he became the fact that we know and fear the rivals, in almost all the second time. The truth is that nobody is encouraged to speak even months after having finished the world cup, on the relationship of manager Marcelo Gallardo and Lio, although in the last round of the Argentine national team to play against Italy in September for the inauguration of the stadium in Santiago del Estero, Messi was not called.

In the second half, the Republic of Ireland, virtual locals, had no reaction ... the figures of Argentina say it all:

GK F. Armani: He had a tremendous cover in a header to Jonathan Walters. Sure in the most demanding of the first half (a shot by Daryl Murphy) and in an incisive center that sought to connect with McClean's head at the beginning of the second half, although Armani had some inaccuracies with his foot.

Walter Kannemann: Heart and short pass. But what great passes: center to Icardi in the 3 to 0 and continuity to Lo Celso in the lethal counter of 1 to 0. In the mark also it was shown with the same lucidity, and by course his goal ... With his touch to the net in the 2 to 0 made his best game in Argentina's team. Spicy as ever, he ran them all.

Giovani Lo Celso: the man emerged from Rosario Central, first of enlistment when Messi disappeared and then playing by right side, took advantage of his vision of game to deepen with their filtered passes and their precise qualifications. At the beginning of the game he scored a break and left-footed shot near a pole. Pure vertigo.

Mauro Icardi: maybe he is still not loved by the historical ones, but the historical ones are less and less ... Relief with the 3 to 0 in which he broke the Irish goal. A good center back to Messi when he turned to activate in Barcelona mode, a header to the goalkeeper's hands and a lot of will.

Lionel Messi: Everything he touches turns him into gold: the thing is when he decides to go out and demanded to win like in the second half and the team answered to him.

The best match the world champion have played so far...Until now Argentina recieved no goals, but the next test Is a character test, and no guarantee of being easy at all...vs Belgium

--------------------------------------------------

KISS ME ... I AM (NORTHERN) IRISH The clover was always an Irish symbol, although it is more related to luck and the Republic of Ireland ... in this case, the luck seemed to finish to the runner-up in Brazil 2014, Germany. Who dominated the 120 minutes, and had about 4 clear goal situations, like against Korea, but did not convert them, and when a fielder after a corner, almost inconsequential, bounced on the left foot of Jonas Hector and became the draw from Northern Ireland, the Germans seemed to go into a rage and go towards victory, but as with the Scottish Tartan Army, the northern Ireland fans pushed their players to believe that luck was on their side, perhaps not the game…

But the moment of truth was the penalties, and Germany, who haven't lost a penalty definition since Round of 16 of Spain '82 against England, this time, fell again ... in England soil ... Until today there are still northern Irish celebrating somewhere in the world ...

Today we all know the crossings and fights between Özil, Low, and the German federation, and the accusations about Neuer ... but at that time there didn't seem to be any of that ...

---------------------------------------------------------------

By any statistical measure, Scotland dominated Syria at Emirates Stadium in London.. Scotland took 12 shots to Syria’s seven, five on target to Syria’s zero. Scotland took three times as many corner kicks as Syria.

Yet when the referee blew his whistle to end a 1-0 Scotland victory, the all-world Scottish players must have breathed an enormous sigh of relief. And Scottish fans immersed themselves in endless celebrations throughout Scotland and in England as well

Syrian players collapsed onto the turf all around them, disconsolate at not having earned at least a draw.

Syria sat back, frequently putting all 11 men behind the ball, and Scotland continually probed for a breakthrough.

It would not come in the first half, a credit to Syria’s defense, mostly Syria’s defense was compact and organized, snuffing out attacks before they began. Crystal Palace midfielder James McArthur had Scotland’s best chances, as he was able to wriggle free and unleash a few shots. Scotland had just one shot on frame in the first half.

But the dam couldn’t hold forever, and cruelly, Syria was the author of its own demise. In the 73th minute, Snodgrass slotted a ball through to Scott Bown in the box, who tried to turn and get a shot off. Syrian defender Al Masri got to the ball first, but his attempted clearance ricocheted off Brown’s knee and past a helpless Ibrahim Alma.

For a brief moment, as Emirates Stadium erupted all around them, it seemed that Syria had scored. A Syrian free kick was headed off Omar Kharbin, who corralled the loose ball and dispatched it into the back of the net. But after a review by the video assistant referee, it was confirmed that Kharbin was offside. Of course there was controversy and the fact that the referee was American, didn't help to calm the conspiracy theories especially in Syria itself, on the bad intentions to cancel the goal of the hypothetical draw

At the end, Scotland wasn’t so brilliant but this time dominant, brilliant interplay or a satisfying one-two that won it for Scotland — though at times all of those were on display — but Scott Brown’s knee and a lucky bounce. Sometimes that’s what you need…

Round_of_16.jpg

engdd.jpg

English players celebrating after the tough match against the always tough Uruguay - Round of 16 - England 2018

bra.jpg

Neymar had time to made a fool of himself and to eliminate Mexico...only to face local England in Quarterfinals...

northern_ireland_vs_germany.jpg

The logical seemed to impose at the begining in Germany vs Norther Ireland in Manchester...

Ukraine_v_Northern_Ireland.jpg

And the miracle happened...Northern Ireland are in...Germany are OUT - Manchester, July 3, 2018

northern_ireland_cheering.jpg

messi.jpg

On the other hand...Republic of Ireland didn`t have the same luck against 2014 World Champions...

siria_la_pasa_mal.jpg

The saddest moment of Syria, in football terms of course, when the realize their virtual 1-1 was disallowed against Scotland...

hinchada_siria.jpg

Syrian fans, many of the refugees or resident living thoughot Europe, went to support their national teams during all their matches in England 2018...the images of syrians celebrating in the streets surrounded by ruins and a de facto ceasfire, was perhaps the most touching and human of all the images that this World Cup left to us...

england_2018_bracket.jpg

Last edited:
(In Character) What a day that was! I remember in a local pub we cheered on Northern Ireland putting out the Germans which made us think our path was going to be easy to get to the final. However in the game with Syria, we totally made heavy work of it and it probably won't be remembered fondly. However after the final whistle we all celebrated and there was a YouTube video from Kirkcaldy high street of happy folk doing a conga out of a bar! x'D We can surely beat the Irish, but I'm wary about how we play against the so called 'Diddy teams'.

(Out of Character) Fantastic update as always, I was actually holding my breath as I read the Northern Irish result, can imagine that epic penalty victory would have a reaction something like Republic of Ireland vs Romania at Italia '90 from OTL. I don't want to make predictions but...;)

(In Character) What a day that was! I remember in a local pub we cheered on Northern Ireland putting out the Germans which made us think our path was going to be easy to get to the final. However in the game with Syria, we totally made heavy work of it and it probably won't be remembered fondly. However after the final whistle we all celebrated and there was a YouTube video from Kirkcaldy high street of happy folk doing a conga out of a bar! x'D We can surely beat the Irish, but I'm wary about how we play against the so called 'Diddy teams'.

Hahahha l love this "in character" depicted situation! I can see them and even picture like how it would be represented on the world cup reports or montages and social media as well as youtube, like you put above..keep on doing that QTXAdsy!

(Out of Character) Fantastic update as always, I was actually holding my breath as I read the Northern Irish result, can imagine that epic penalty victory would have a reaction something like Republic of Ireland vs Romania at Italia '90 from OTL. I don't want to make predictions but...;)
Yes, in some ways, this is likely...you know, Northern Ireland had 8 good years, then Republic of Ireland, but Northern Ireland never had something like that...despite in OTL they beat twice to West Germany in Euro 84 Qualifiers to eventually don't qualify by goal average...so, if we still put the quote of surprises as Russia 2018 in OTL was, and the quote of bad luck Germany fiiiinally had in OTL, well...this ATL was the moment when some teams can reverse their fate.

There's still more shocking moments so stick around!

Hahahha l love this "in character" depicted situation! I can see them and even picture like how it would be represented on the world cup reports or montages and social media as well as youtube, like you put above..keep on doing that QTXAdsy!

Yes, in some ways, this is likely...you know, Northern Ireland had 8 good years, then Republic of Ireland, but Northern Ireland never had something like that...despite in OTL they beat twice to West Germany in Euro 84 Qualifiers to eventually don't qualify by goal average...so, if we still put the quote of surprises as Russia 2018 in OTL was, and the quote of bad luck Germany fiiiinally had in OTL, well...this ATL was the moment when some teams can reverse their fate.

There's still more shocking moments so stick around!

Well then, I'm suspecting the Scotland/Northern Ireland game might be like England vs Cameroon IOTL in which Scotland will likely go 1-0 up with Northern Ireland then turning it round to make it 2-1 before Scotland rescue the tie to make it 3-2 to win the game. Something tells me that seeing how Scotland lost on penalties ITTL at the semis of Euro '96 at Old Trafford of all places could be seen something of a bad memory that needs to be exorcized if they get to the Semi final here at the very same venue, don't know if you noticed that but it is a nice touch there.

I'm generally really excited for the next update, can't wait! :biggrin:

France kicking out England in London would feel oh so deliciously good, but I feel like this is heading towards an England v Scotland final amirite ? :p
Honestly it’s going to be a close one here. Brazil France and Belgium are all contenders for the win. England might do well, let’s say they beat Brazil and then get thrashed Belo Horizonte style in the semis. Close call in any case, good luck figuring it out. One thing is for sure, I’d be disappointed if England win at home :eek:

Last edited:
France kicking out England in London would feel oh so deliciously good, but I feel like this is heading towards an England v Scotland final amirite ? :p
Honestly it’s going to be a close one here. Brazil France and Belgium are all contenders for the win. England might do well, let’s say they beat Brazil and then get thrashed Belo Horizonte style in the semis. Close call in any case, good luck figuring it out. One thing is for sure, I’d be disappointed if England win at home :eek:

Thank you for your comments Wings!, well, as this is a TL in some ways, here there are some different things as you can see...for instance, in this TL, Deschamps was chosen as manager in 2014, so he has lesser time working for the FFF than in OTL..but anything can happened and I didn't decide it yet...

For the rest of your post, you put a lot of scenarios!!!:openedeyewink: ...but one thing is true, I cannot leave happy to everybody, not even as myself as you will read in a few minutes...

FIFA WORLD CUP ENGLAND 2018 - A Farewell to...
QUARTERFINALS - WORLD CUP ENGLAND 2018

A FAREWELL TO (THE 2014) KINGS...

Dignity, pride, courage, heart ... These are words that contain important concepts and that at this time sound like empty. Because they eat the image of an Argentina that forgot everything. And the only thing Argentina did, in that second half that it felt shame and anger at the same time, was to withdraw unconsciously its own area. And hope that De Bruyne, Lukaku, Harzard or Fellaini don’t explote their habilities, or any of those men in alternative yellow kit (it was never understood why Argentina chose to play with the alternative black shirt) who played a game for the World Cup as it should: with conviction, courage and an unstoppable ambition to win.

For that reason, with all the unpleasant that sounds, the match could not finish in any other way than with the triumph of Belgium. Because Argentina had decided, in the second half, to forget about fighting for victory and betting on survival, or penalties to put it in the semifinal, but with this rival was mistaken.

But Belgium, which started with terrible defensive mistakes, each time made less mistakes. Because Witsel was an engine in the middle; because Fellaini provided criteria, clarity and a fair pass; and because from the middle up Belgium was mechanical. They played and played with precision, with speed, with ... Anyway, with touches of billiards, to define them in some way.

Against that, Manager Gallardo’s team defended some time with five players. And all collaborated in delaying and putting leg to neutralize, perhaps incluiding in one team to Enzo Perez and Leonardo Ponzio was a mistake, midfield slow, and more when at 58’ Ponzio saw red card because of double yellow. As Belgians cut argentinian lines, put a little heart to help Messi, who this time showed determination. He asked for the ball, he threatened, he slowed down, he tricked the Belgian and he got too many kicks. Alone against the world.

But football give opportunities. And Argentina had them. The most exciting came with that Sergio Agüero shovel that hit a post when the superiority of the Europeans was almost violent.

Because if Argentina never managed to play well in this game, the clear thing, too, is that it went from more to less non stop. In the first half wanted to fight a bit the game to the Belgian. Although it was difficult, although Roberto Martinez’s team played well. But there was a moment in which the National Team said enough. And the unfortunate thing was that there was still a time to finish the game, forty-five minutes to try to continue in the World Cup. Playing poorly can, is always a possibility. What will never be conceived will be to stop trying.

But then, the hero became the villain of a film whose end began to be announced even during Argentina's feast over Republic of Ireland. Messi, the man raised to the Olympus of Maradona, after lifting the Cup in 2014, and after his worst world cup, missed a shot from the twelve steps at minute ‘88.

The origin of the penalty caused many doubts in the technical staff of Belgium, since at no time was there any intention of running over the attacker from Argentina...

Despite this, the referee of the commitment indicated the maximum penalty in favor of Argentina. Lionel Messi was in charge of standing in front of the ball to execute the shot on goal in Belgium. Unfortunately for Argentina, Lionel Messi's shot was fully warned, which gave goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois a great advantage, who, it must be said, always has great performances against Messi, to deflect the ball with a monumental stretch.

For many, this was the last resort for “la Pulga” to ruin his World Cup but this time he played a lot more than the team. The two minutes that were from the missed penalty were the necessary anecdote to draw an epilogue to a story solved long before. As in each of the adjusted definitions that we had up to here, the most ambitious one won.

It hurts because you could have thought of something better. But more hurts because surely several players have dreamed of a happy World by virtue of their own and not by mistake of others. That is the Belgian dream. The one of a team that won not for playing better, but for being better.

And the epilogue was a Belgian epic… Romelo Lukaku, controlled the ball after a long pass from Vincent Kompany, made Gabriel Mercado look ridiculous and with the outside of his right booty placed the ball away from goalkeeper Franco Armani…so Lukaku sentenced the key in the 90th minute of play, and so sentenced Messi’s world Cup as we remember by him still this year….

It was the first time since 2002 that Argentina won’t be into last four…and the first time since 2002 that was eliminated in Quarterfinal…

Marcelo Gallardo was ratified in charge by the AFA, as manager, on July 25. Argentina that, footballingly speaking, was looking for a 1966 revenge against England, went empty-handed ... and that triumph over England on penalties after a boring 0-0 at Wembley in the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup Final, was an award that now tasted to almost acnecdotical, but that allowed the "Muñeco" to hold his coach position

messi_miss.jpg

Three images with two minutes of difference...Minute '88, Messi missing his penalty....and then...

lukaku.jpg

Lukaku sealing Belgium passages to semi final in Sunderland...minute '90

messi.jpg

And Messi after the final whistle...

arg_bel.jpg

Last edited:
FIFA WORLD CUP ENGLAND 2018 - One Day Before...

ONE DAY BEFORE...IN THE OTHER KEY...

Arsène Wenger's England feels fine showing off. When "le Professeur" came from the hand of the F.A. (and he was seriously thinking about retiring) he found a team that practiced an almost rocky football where the midfielders barely played a leading role. The new coach went to a way of playing with greater control of the ball and the game. That new style has become a hallmark of the team that local fans like. But without leaving aside the physical overflow imposed by the locality. England had decided from the first minute not to repeat the mistakes of last match against another south american football giant and made specific decisions to force that idea. Brazil thought that the weight of their history (the most remembered, Brazil 4 vs England 3 in Japan 2002 and the final Brazil 1vs England 0 in South Africa 2006) and their names could palliate the game that had not finished rising in this World Cup, and that would open spaces, since England as a local should go for it at the match, but the spaces were not opened, and Wenger also took note of what happened against Uruguay. Eventually a result that leaves a whole road of the key more difficult but that leaves some questions -especially for the incredible red card to Rooney in the minute 92 after the return of "courtesies" to Fernandinho-, but that makes him more candidate never.

Wenger not only got that Brazil does not have control, but made entry just started the second half to Wayne Rooney, who had been excluded himself from the national team, but being local reconsidered his situation although his physical problems made him lose ownership into line up. As in Arsenal, with, for example, the french star Thierry Henry, in this case the professeur hoped to revitalize Rooney's career in the national team. Pushed by the locality and the test of definitive character of which Wenger spoke, the midfield was not neglected either. The midfield was key in the operation, and Jack Wilshere and Jordan Henderson did not leave space without shrinking. Brazil knew that the english need would show a stronger and more concentrated rival. The issue is that one thing does not remove the variables of the match. That having variants of virtue on their doesn't mean that the other team suffers hard. In defense Brazil suffered from the sides more than he should, in the middle Paulinho (who was replaced by Renato Augusto), Fernandino (who would be expelled with Rooney) and forward Neymar and Gabriel Jesus were far from their possibilities and not according to the match they played.

The attacks also showed their nuances. While Kane pushed everything he could to secure himself as a goalscorer, Sterling never found the keys and even chose badly to lie down in a sector in front of Marcelo with a yellow for a kick to Jesse Lingard

Ashley Young can overlap the whole week, but if the center does not take advantage ... Young had in his foot too the chance to open the score, controlled the ball and lost his goal. Brazil took an eternity to make a change that was revolting for a team that although the draw did not displease, always played to the limit. The hosts took advantage of Pickfords's good work to move into the lead eight minutes later after Young's miss... then Wilshere was once again at the heart of it with a fine ball to release Theo Walcott and when keeper Alisson saved bravely at the Arsenal forward's feet, Rooney steered home from the edge of the area.

And Rooney, not against all odds, but a little bit closer...paid off...

The classic lacked sweetness and was a brave one. There were kicks of all colors and the list was long ... The red to Fernandinho for a sweep without a ball to Rooney, and the subsequent turmoil, was the end of one night to the limit. And without wanting it, it was Wonder Boy's last stand in England national team (1)

rooney.jpg

Rooney...1 -0

engqf.jpg

--------
(1) Of course in this ATL there are some names that are included, but in OTL with Southgate weren't...and some of Arsenal as well..

Last edited:
FIFA WORLD CUP ENGLAND 2018 - Party all over the Lands

PARTY ALL OVER THE LANDS...

Perhaps the most important game in the history of both British national teams had its place in Milton Keynes. The moving pictures with both teams coming out to the field that was characterized by color, the Tartan Army ... and Northern Ireland fans as well, flags, characteristic chants that came down from the stands formed some ingredients that were viralized through social networks and live to everyone in the official broadcasting ... Milton Keynes was that afternoon, the place in the world where to be.

Despite the emotional charge with which the protagonists came, and despite the epic of Northern Ireland against Germany, these games between national teams of the islands have another look. Historically Scotland has a supremacy over Northern Ireland, and both knew it. From the start, Scotland was the one who tried to dominate the actions with the interventions of Matt Phillips on the right and Chris Martin (Christopher Hugh ... not Chris Martin, the Coldplay one) on the attack. An example of this was the danger that Martin applied with, which forced Chris Brunt to cut with infractions that represented a high cost: a yellow card.
The intensity the match was played was so obvious that the Turkish referee appealed to the easy card and Scott Brown was the victim of a yellow card in the first moves. The crossings of the midfielder with Saville hurt Scotland, especially because the Scottish captain was conditioned by the rest of the commitment.

After half of an hour, the led by Gordon Strachan on the bench, got the score through a play in which Phillips recovered a long ball center from Robertson, joined with McArthur to form a one-two and received the clear fault of Saville inside the area that the referee chose not to whistle, leaving the rebound for Berra to shoot goalkeeper, and put Scotland 1-0 up.

Although, the ones led by Michael O'Neill tried to react with the incursions of C. Washington and the centers of Whyte and Ward, Scotland continued to threaten the rival goalkeeper less frequently but with more danger. A mid-range shot from Griffiths who looked for the most uncomfortable post angle of gk McGovern, demanded 1 of Northern Ireland to send the ball to the corner. For their fortune, the Scots did not capitalize on the corner kick.

In the second half, Conor Washington again showed incisiveness. With a distant shot, the most dangerous man of the Irish with Gavin Whyte, demanded gk Craig Gordon, who showed off with an extraordinary cover. A scene similar to the one he starred after a Whyte ball center that bounced off Mulgrew's back, swerved and was blew away by the Scottish National goalkeeper.

During the second stage Northern Ireland made the merits to reach equality. The stinging appearances of Whyte, the ball centers by Ward and the clarity of Steven Davis were arguments to suppose the tie, but the figure of the Scottish goalkeeper grew with the passing of the minutes to be one of those responsible for the partial result.

A cover of goalkeeper Gordon against a shoot of Mulgrew completed the night of one of the best man on the match, with the full time served, the Tartan Army in ecstasy and almost all of Scotland in the area, this shoot ended up gestating the counterattack of Matt Phillips , because if Scotland was almost all folded in their area, Northern Ireland had 8 of 11 players surrounding the Scottish area ...

This allowed Phillips to perform a 50-meter run, a triangulation with Martin and a definition of Scott Brown in front of the goalkeeper and almost unmolested, to put 2-0...so that the Stadium MK explodes, and to create the unconfortable job by the Security -again- to avoid attempt of invasion of the Tartan Army to the pitch ... and to Scotland became a massive celebration, from Dumfries to the Shetland islands, and to Scotland breaks again in the scene of the world football with their best performance since the quarterfinal in Madrid, in Spain '82.

Some even risked to nickname "Napoleon" to Gordon Strachan,surely due the euphoria of the moment ... I will not tell you how it what was the endless of the party because there are thousands of videos on YouTube ... and more than one current forum member here still remembers it. Despite being measured at the press conference, manager of Northern Ireland Michael O'Neill could not avoid, after congratulating his rival, declaring that they "never reached us to deserve this result" ... but for the best 4 teams of FIFA WORLD CUP ENGLAND 2018 didn't it mattered whoever said a phrase like that now ..

sco.jpg

Time to celebrate for Scotland...in wonderful pink kit

NIR_out.jpg

eng2018_QF.jpg

tartan_army.jpg

London, July 8 2018...the next day...

France vs Chile (1)

---- ---------
(1)I did not describe France vs Chile, because it was very similar to France 2 vs Uruguay 0 from OTL Russia 2018

Last edited:
(In Character) What a night that was, I was on a holiday in the Lake distract with my girlfriend when that game was played (we'd leave for home the following day) and even though the town we were in were still buzzing about that victory over Brazil and if I had a pound for every time I heard them sing 'Three Lions'...I'd be a rich man. The locals seemed happy for us to get this far, though it was mainly thinking that we'd be the easy team to play in the final, and there were a few Scots there too who were the rest of us just couldn't believe what our side had just done and hopes of archiving the dream of all Scotland fans of lifting the World Cup at Wembley now started to look even more promising. Our thoughts were that if Argentina could do it in Rio, then so can we in London.

Got to love the social media aspect of it, the fan park at George Square in Glasgow was mental with many throwing their beers up in the air and car horns honking after that game that went into the night, Edinburgh saw similar scenes of a fan park in the Princess Gardens, there with someone flying a Saltire flag from the top of Scott Monument. Dundee was mental with some drunken supporters jumping into the freezing River Tay, how they never froze to death or drown in the state they were in I'll never know, Aberdeen saw street parties and some mad supporter 'surfing' a bus while holding a Lion Rampant and Saltire flag on each hand. Pretty much everyone in Scotland has gotten football fever and it is just a nice feeling to know how England get when they do well in a tournament.

Me and my girlfriend on the way home made the choice that, along with my Dad, uncle and cousins who were back home all buzzing, we'd go down to Manchester for the Semi final and for my Dad, the memories of the penalty shoot out loss at Euro '96 at that very stadium was still an open wound for him and many of our countrymen and that game was the only time my Dad ever cried at a Scotland game. My Uncle was wanting to go as he had been there at that Semi final and was wanting to go back for hopefully exorcise bad memories and hopefully see us make the final.

Belgium will be a hard team to beat, though I suppose with the 'home' advantage and the momentum behind us, football might be coming home...via Glasgow, the birth place of international football. England, no danger, we can beat them ;)

(Out of Character) Another good update, can imagine the mental scenes that would've been taking place. And yes I was away in the Lake distract when the World Cup was on and I did see 'Merry England' there when they got to the Semi finals, lord knows how much more mental it would've been if England have been hosting the tournament ITTL and with Scotland doing well here, well. Also a thing you can add for the next update is not only mention about the Euro '96 history with Old Trafford here and what happened there for Scotland, but also I could see Alex Ferguson down in Manchester trying to get the local Manchester population to get behind the Scots, though I can see the Scots outnumbering the Belgian support 4 to 1 at Old Trafford, haha! :p I'll be there ITTL to give my thoughts on the game! :D

I can see this going to penalties and, with those memories of Euro '96 behind them, the Scots win on the shootout and make the final. Come on Scotland, melt the chocolate makers! :biggrin: