Status
Not open for further replies.
The Year is 1981. The United States has just elected a new leader. The world moves into a new and uncertain decade. These are tumultuous times indeed.

"The President is due to give a luncheon address to representatives of the American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL-CIO) at the Washington Hilton Hotel today, starting at around 1:30 and ending at 2:25. The address is believed by pundits to be an attempt at brewing support among Reagan Democrats. Members of the populace are invited to see the new president, face-to-face."

-The Washington Star, March 30, 1981

"INDIANA U BEATS UNC"

-The New York Times sports section, March 30, 1981

"LONDON MARATHON HELD, 7,500 PARTICIPATE"

-Daily Mirror, March 29, 1981

"VIOLA SWORN IN, VIDELA OUT"

-The Nation, March 29, 1981

"What?"

-Statement by President of the Polish People's Republic, Wojciech Jaruzelski, after discovering 12 to 14 Million Poles left their workplaces for four hours on March 29, 1981

"GOODBYE!

I LOVE YOU SIX TRILLION TIMES.

DON'T YOU MAYBE LIKE ME JUST A LITTLE BIT? (YOU MUST ADMIT IT I AM DIFFERENT)
IT WOULD MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE"

-Message in a letter discovered by Lucius Fischer Foster III, first found on the 2nd of June, 1981

"...well, Jimmy, you can't say the people don't love me..."

-Overheard statement from President Ronald Reagan (R-CA) to White House Press Secretary James Brady

"...Nope, you certainly can't..."

-Reply from Brady to Reagan

"What’s the latest on Poland, Mr. President?"

-ABC White House correspondent Sam Donaldson at the T Street NW Exit of the Washington Hilton Hotel

Last edited:
"Oh Jesus!"

-Statement from Labor Official Anthony Antenucci during the shooting

"Oh, shit... Rawhide down, I repeat: Rawhide down!"

-Agent-in-Charge Jerry Parr's reaction to President Reagan's injuries, just seconds after the assassination

"At 2:27 p.m., as the President and his entourage was exiting the Hilton Hotel through the 'President's Walk' onto T Street NW. At the exit, reporters and admirers, as well as the assassin, waited. As the President was walking towards the Presidential Limousine, the President's attention was diverted by a bystander, and, as he turned his head, he directly passed the assassin. The assassin fired six shots in the span of 1.7 seconds from his Röhm RG-14 .22 blue steel revolver from fifteen feet away, behind a rope line.

The first bullet entered White House Press Secretary James Brady's head, critically wounding him.

The second bullet his District of Columbia Police Officer Thomas Delahaunty in the back of the neck as he turned to protect the president.

The third bullet ripped through the left-hand sleeve of Agent-in-charge Jerry Parr's jacket, and planted itself in the chest of President Reagan, who had fallen over, where it lodged in his sternum. Parr was uninjured.

The fourth bullet hit a crack in the sidewalk, where it ricocheted onto a stone in a nearby wall and planted itself in the ground just inches away from Special Agent Timothy McCarthy. McCarthy was uninjured.

The fifth bullet hit the bullet-resistant glass of the window on the open-side door of the limousine, where it was stopped.

The sixth and final bullet ricocheted off of the armored side of the door of the Presidential Limousine, entering President Reagan's left forearm, grazing his rib and lodging in his lung, stopping just short of his lung.

Autopsy reports done at George Washington University Hospital found that the third bullet was responsible for the mortal wounding of President Reagan."

-Text of the Burger Report

hinkley_shooting.jpg

A Thousand Points of Light

An Alternate Eighties Timeline

Prologue

The assassination of Reagan changed the heart of the nation. Reagan had been president for only 69 days; the second shortest term of a president since Harrison. The old Gipper had won over the hearts of the American people with his mix of raffish charm, optimism for America and Christian values.

And now he was dead.

The defining question of the eighties became "Where were you when you heard Reagan was assassinated?", not unlike the reactions to Pearl Harbor or the Assassination of JFK before him. And this being in a decade full of tough questions. "If only" became another pressing question. If only Agent Parr hadn't hesitated. If only John Hinckley Jr. was a worse shot. If only the President had listened to the Secret Service and worn a bulletproof vest. Some even believe that, if only Carter had won, he would have been the target. But even as the world moved on, the people of the United States still had, and have, the memories of the assassination of the Great Communicator fresh in their minds. Regardless of anybody's stance on politics, every man and woman in the United States, possibly in the world, what could have been a president to rule through a turbulent decade was snuffed out too soon. However, as the world continues turning, America marches on. What happened at midday on March 30th at the Washington Hilton happened. And if we want to think about what the world could be like if this tragic event did not occur, we can only speculate.

Last edited:
Bush1981.jpg

George H.W. Bush sat on a brown velour armchair in Air Force Two, staring wide-eyed at the TV. In the corner of his eye, he saw a dark figure invite himself into the passenger cabin. He moved his gaze away from the emergency news reports and onto the Secret Service agent, clad in a black raincoat and with a solemn face, come towards him without saying a word. He suddenly felt a sinking feeling in his gut.

Just two hours ago, he had tuned into the afternoon news as he waited for more information. He had been flying over the skies of his home state of Texas when Reagan had been shot, and he’d been there for all of two minutes before Congressman Garza informed him of the grim news, and flying back to Washington at ludicrous speed. Somehow, the news were more up to date than the Secret Service. On the late afternoon shows, it was announced that Reagan had been involved in an incident in Washington. Nothing more, nothing less.

Then the evening news brought forward he was shot, but still surviving. All the stations, CBS, NBC, ABC, were scrambling to get their reporters into the George Washington University Hospital. His physician was even contacted the news stations live, (in)famously stating “he’d never seen such a stronger heart in a man of the president’s age.”

Then came the late-night news, and their reports.

It had tragically turned out that President Reagan’s wounds were simply too severe. Ronald Wilson Reagan died at 9:19 p.m., surrounded by his doctors frantically trying to stop his bleeding.

But Bush did not know of this.

And then the Secret Service agent told him. Just minutes later the plane touched down in Andrews Air Force Base.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The morning of Tuesday, March 31, 1981, the television sets of the United States showed Vice President George Bush, Chief Justice Warren Burger, President pro tempore of the Senate Strom Thurmond, Speaker for the House Tip O’Neill, Secretary of State Alexander Haig, Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger, Second Lady Barbara Bush and First Lady Nancy Reagan in the Entrance Hall of the White House. The taped inauguration had taken place the night before, and was held away from the Vice President's residence due to fears of a second attack on Bush.

Vice President George Herbert Walker Bush was sworn in as President of the United States of America by Chief Justice Warren E. Burger.

After being inaugurated, using a bible that was discovered in Reagan’s bedroom, Bush turned towards the camera, and delivered a speech as the camera zoomed in on his face, a United States flag prominently placed behind him.

“My fellow Americans. On this day, an act of terror felled President Reagan. This is an absolutely upsetting time for not only all Americans, but all people.

Ronald was a mentor to me, and we, as people in the free world, have suffered a tremendous loss that cannot possibly be weighed. I know the nation, and the whole free world, shares the sorrow that Mrs. Reagan, and the First Family, undoubtedly feels.

However, we must prevail in these dark hours. We must prevail, because, in the words of the Sullivan brothers, ‘we stick together.’ We, as Americans, must prevail, because that is what we do!

Even in the aftermath of the worst of human nature — these villains cannot destroy the heart of America. They cannot destroy the beacon of freedom in the sea of darkness that we are. Because, starting today, we shall go forward!”

And with that statement, a decade was defined.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
31 March 1981
Oscars_81.jpg

Oscars_81.jpg

53rd Academy Awards

Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, Los Angeles, California​

Best Picture: Ordinary People

Best Director: Robert Redford - Ordinary People

Best Actor: Robert de Niro - Jake LaMotta in Raging Bull

Best Actress: Sissy Spacek - Loretta Lynn in Coal Miner’s Daughter

Best Supporting Actor: Timothy Hutton - Conrad Jarrett in Ordinary People

Best Supporting Actress: Mary Steenburgen- Lynda West Dummar in Melvin and Howard

“The 1981 Academy Awards had been scheduled for the night before, but were cancelled after the news broke that Reagan had been shot. So when they finally did take place, the day after, it was a sombre occasion. Many in the crowd that night personally knew Dutch, and a heavy atmosphere lingered throughout the whole event.”

-Narrator Robert Wise, from the 1999 TV documentary The History of the Oscars

“Well, uh, I forgot my lines, so, uh… the director wrote them down for me. *audience laughs* I-uh… I want to thank everyone, and, I know it’s said so often but… it’s true and… what else can I say? I want to talk… about a serious issue, that happened yesterday. You *clears throat* probably know what I’m talking about.

Yesterday, the president was killed. The madman who slayed our president and fellow actor was not motivated through political… or religious extremism, but through one of my films.

The second time I was here was in ‘77. I was 34, and earned my second nomination for the film Taxi Driver. *sighs* If you remember the film, I play a New York cabbie, who, in one scene, tries to assassinate a senator. Police are now believing that the film was responsible for the assassination of President Reagan.

*Audience murmurs*

When I discovered this, I was shocked. I was shocked beyond words as to how my film was twisted, perverted, even; into the plot of a delusional murderer. I felt, and somewhat feel, that, in a way, I spoke in the man’s ear, telling him to ‘do it.’

And that’s why I quit.

*Audience gasps*

I absolutely disavow violence, even if I portray characters who don’t. And I just can’t bring myself to support ultraviolence in film anymore. I can’t bring myself to brew up a second Reagan assassination. I simply can’t. And I feel that this is the right choice for me.

I’ve had a good run. But I can’t do it anymore.

My deepest apologies go out to Mrs. Nancy Reagan, and the family of Mr. Reagan. They go out to James Brady and Thomas Delahanty, and their families, who were injured in this brutal attack. They go out to the people in this arena, who knew Ronald, as a person, and as a friend.

I give my most gracious thanks to my good friend, Martin. Thank you for all of your support. Thank you, everyone, for this.”

*Audience cheers*

-Robert De Niro’s Resignation and Oscar Acceptance Speech at the 53rd Academy Awards

“I do believe Robert’s decision to leave the acting world was highly justified. He had told me he wanted to leave the business, settle down, around ‘79. And, I mean, he obviously had a lot of guilt about what happened to him [Reagan].

We’re still kinda friends, y’know. I invite him to my premiers every now and then, you know...

I sometimes wonder what would happen if Rob (and I hope he’s still okay with me calling him that) hadn’t left. All the roles, the films we could have made. That kind of stuff never quite leaves you. That feeling of ‘what could have been.’”

-Martin Scorsese, from an interview in Ellis Ambern’s Martin: A Biography, 1995

“DE NIRO: WHY I’M QUITTING SHOWBIZ — FOR GOOD”

-Cover story of The Hollywood Reporter, April 4, 1981

Last edited:
1 April
Wednesday

The trial of John Hinckley Jr. began just a day after President George Bush declared a “national day of mourning,” his first executive order as president.

The man had told the police and FBI interrogators everything. He told them why he killed the President, because he wanted to get the attention of a young actress by the name of Jodie Foster.

And now, the twitching, balding 25-year old with a distant expression on his face and a particularly bad case of five o’clock shadow was sitting at the stand in the United States Court for the District of Columbia.

Senior Judge Joyce Hens Green was chosen by default to be the one to rule over the case. She spoke. “Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. Calling the case of v. United States v. John Warnock Hinckley, Junior. The detainee is indicted of the following federal count: assassination of the President of the United States.”

The new President made his first public appearance since the assassination of Reagan at the New York Stock Exchange on Wall Street. He was meeting with a group of investors, who were worried about the way the economy was heading.

Once the news that Reagan had died hit the public, stocks were sent spiraling. NASDAQ reported that the Dow Jones dropped nearly 12 percent, the worst since 1937. He walked into the building on 11 Wall Street, wearing a blue-grey suit and the largest bulletproof vest the Secret Service had. While putting on the suit, which had the unintended effect of making the president look much larger, he joked to his men, “well gentlemen, they do say everything is bigger in Texas!”

Instantly swarmed by the press and their flashing cameras, the conga line of the President’s men let the president make his way to the stage, in the middle of the trading floor, which had been temporarily shut down.

“My fellow Americans, I am with you on this day to address the problems that are affecting the stock market, and the economy of the United States of America. Yesterday, the Dow Jones suffered a tremendous loss, the worst since the 1930s, if I believe. This loss is directly attributable to the assassination of my predecessor… Ronald Reagan.

While I, myself, am deeply upset and troubled by the passing of President Reagan, I am stringent in my beliefs that we, as Americans, will prevail! I am stringent in my beliefs that we need to accept that the tragedy has occurred, and that we have lost a great American hero! Once we do this, we will get out of this economic gutter that the Carter Administration has thrown us into, and we will prevail!”

Meanwhile, President pro tempore of the Senate Strom Thurmond, stationed at the White House, was on the receiving end of a barrage of phone calls of condolence from all parts of the world.

Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher of the United Kingdom said she was “shocked and saddened by the death of President Reagan.”

Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau of Canada said that he was “greatly upset” by Reagan’s death and that his “prayers are with Ms. Nancy Reagan and her children.”

State President of South Africa Marais Viljoen, very pleased to be on the phone with a former segregationist and a lifelong supporter of the Pretoria government, stated that “the white men and women of South Africa both mourn for the loss of your Mr. Reagan, and are with your people always.”

Secretary General of NATO Joseph Luns said “the loss of Reagan is a loss to the whole community of the free world” and that his “thoughts and prayers” were with the families of all involved.

People from all corners of the earth called in as well. Zairean President Mobutu Sese Seko said “the loss of President Reagan saddens me very much, but I am glad for the new president to fill in his shoes.” The vice president, tired of hearing what was essentially the same message over and over, blurted out “Great, great. Great to hear negro countries like yours are upset as well,” a message that was routinely criticized when said messages were declassified.

The final, and most unlikely call from of the day, was from General Secretary of the Soviet Union Leonid Brezhnev; a conversation which irked Thurmond very much. Brezhnev, in broken and thick-accented English, said that “even with the current clashes between the forces of Communism and Capitalism,” that he and the people of the USSR sent their condolences. Thurmond questioned Brezhnev about how he “could sleep at night knowing you are denying your people freedom.”

The 74-year old man on the other line, annoyed that he had to talk to the American cowboy’s racist lackey, half-chuckled and half-coughed, and then said “and yet, you are lynching negroes.”

The South Carolinan hung up and refused to answer any more calls.

Last edited:
A note: Strom Thurmond was the president pro tempore of the Senate, not the Vice-President (unless he was confirmed in record time)...

Waiting for more...

A note: Strom Thurmond was the president pro tempore of the Senate, not the Vice-President (unless he was confirmed in record time)...

Waiting for more...

Thanks for pointing this out to me. Guess I should've read up on Presidential succession a little bit more :rolleyes:.

"BUSH PROMISES 'EXTENSIVE ECONOMIC REFORMS'"

-The Wall Street Journal, April 2, 1981

"STATE FUNERAL ANNOUNCED FOR REAGAN"

-The Washington Post, April 2, 1981

"OSBORNE 1 DROPS AT THE MARKET"

-Computerworld, April 3, 1981

“RIP REAGAN: THE DEATH OF AN AMERICAN HERO”

-National Review, April 3, 1981

"NASCAR UPDATE: DARRELL WALTRIP LEADS 93 OF 400 LAPS, WINS AT NORTH WILKESBORO. SECOND PLACE- RICKY RUDD, THIRD PLACE- RICHARD PETTY, FOURTH PLACE- RON BOUCHARD, FIFTH PLACE- DALE EARNHARDT"

-NASCAR on CBS, April 5, 1981

"WHITE HOUSE DENIES RUMORS OF VICE PRESIDENT NOMINATION STRUGGLE"

-The Boston Globe, April 7, 1981

"INCARCERATED IRISH REPUBLICAN WINS BY-ELECTION"

-The Guardian, April 10, 1981

“The election of Bobby Sands, a hunger-striking Irish Republican, to the House of Commons was a huge upset to both the Tories and the Ulsters. The idea of not only an IRA member, but an IRA member in H-Block, getting elected to public office, turned Belfast into a timebomb of tension.”

-Larry Mullen Jr., narrator of the 2003 BBC Panorama special This Is Ireland: A Short History of The Troubles

"FISK DEBUTS WITH WHITE SOX, HITS THREE-RUN HOME RUN TO WIN"

-Sporting News, April 10, 1981

“NASA PREPARES TO LAUNCH COLUMBIA, FIRST REUSABLE SPACECRAFT”

-Orlando Sentinel, April 10, 1981

Last edited:
April 12

President Bush stood on thin the Mission Control Center at Cape Canaveral, along with Speaker of the House Tip O’Neill, Senator John Glenn and a sea of journalists.

They stood in front a giant screen, showing the Space Shuttle, painted white, and perched upon a tower. After more than a year of delays, Columbia, as it was called, stacked next to its external tank and solid rocket boosters, was ready.

The launch was coincidentally on the twentieth anniversary of the first human spaceflight.

A man behind one of the many computer monitors in the room spoke into his microphone. “Launch in… T-Minus… 10… 9… 8…”

President Bush stared at the screen. This launch was to end a long hiatus in American space exploration. He kept those final words he had said in his inauguration in his head. “We shall go forward.” Quite a lot could be conveyed by that short sentence. “We will overcome,” “we will not go quietly into the night.” The ‘70s was a decade of bust and crisis.

But, starting with this launch, that was all that was about to change.

The screen flashed with a bright orange light as the Space Shuttle blasted off. A terrifyingly loud booming sound filled the room.

“Ladies and gentlemen, we have liftoff of the Space Shuttle!”

STS-1.jpg

STS-1.jpg

The day after, the state funeral of Ronald Reagan was held.

The open casket of Reagan had been placed in repose in the East Room of the White House for 24 hours earlier for all of Sunday, before being moved to the Capitol Rotunda in a horse-drawn caisson through Pennsylvania, his American flag-covered casket in front of a riderless El Alamein, one of his horses, with his boots turned backwards in the stirrups.

The caisson stopped outside Capitol Hill, where military units took the casket into the Rotunda.

The funeral procession was then immediately held there to the audience of nearly 2,000 dignitaries.

President Bush gave the eulogy, a large American flag placed behind him.

Bush-_Reagan_Funeral.png

Bush-_Reagan_Funeral.png

“My fellow Americans. In this national vigil of mourning, we show how much America loved this good man, and how much we will miss him.

He was a cheerful and optimistic spirit; a spirit that carried this great man forward was much more than a disposition; it was the optimism of a faithful soul. He trusted in the purposes of God, and knew those purposes to be both right, and true. And, for his short time as President, it was the vision and will of Ronald Wilson Reagan that gave hope to the oppressed and shamed the oppressors.

He was a providential man, who came around when our country most needed him. Fellow Americans, here lies a graceful and gallant man.

Nancy, none of us can take away the sadness you are undoubtedly feeling. I, and the whole world community, can only hope that it is a comfort to know how much he means to us, and how much you mean to us as well. Thank you, and God bless.”

Last edited:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
April 15
Wednesday

Washington D.C.

The television screens of the United States switched from their regular programming to President Bush, seated at his desk in the Oval Office at approximately 9:30 p.m.

81_Bush_Address.jpg

81_Bush_Address.jpg

"Good evening, my fellow Americans.

You may know that I stated about a fortnight ago that I was set on fixing the economic funk that we are currently in. Just two years ago, prices were continuing to spiral upward, unemployment was reaching intolerable levels, and all because government was too big and spent too much of our money.

But, and I make this pledge to you as President: You have no reason to be alarmed. Because I have devised a tax plan that will change the current economic climate of America for the better.

Republicans, Democrats, Independents, we're all American people. Americans from every profession, trade and line of work, and from every part of this land; from the great state of Alaska to Wyoming. You have all sent a message that you want a new beginning. And I have been listening.

Here is my proposition: an equal, 15-percent tax rate among all Americans, whether or not they are lower-, middle- or higher-class, white or black, Democrat, Republican or Independent. This is a plan which I believe will make the American people contribute fairly and help our economy gain much needed money to give it that extra push it needs to become strong and co-operative again. Because that is what the America I know and love is built on: fairness, and freedom.

We may not be completely out of the woods, so to speak. We've just had 2 years of back-to-back double-digit inflation—13.3 percent in 1979, and 12.4 percent last year. We have suffered the worst drop in the Dow Jones since 1937.

But we're trying. And we're doing the best and most responsible actions we can possibly do. In the words of President Reagan: 'Only when we're together can we forge a new beginning for America.'

Thank you, and god bless."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“BUSH’S TAX PLAN: WILL IT WORK?”

-Wall Street Journal, 16 April, 1981

“President Bush’s tax plan is… a complete joke. It’s not only bad for the economy, it’s disastrous for the poor, disastrous for the middle class, and disastrous for America.”

-Statement by Speaker for the House Tip O’Neill (D-MA-8)

“THE TRUTH ABOUT BUSH’S DISASTROUS TAX PLAN”

-The Nation, 18 April, 1981

“REAGAN ASSASSIN: BLAME IT ON TAXI DRIVER

-New York Post, 19 April, 1981

“John Hinckley Jr. claiming he was inspired by a scene in the Robert De Niro vehicle Taxi Driver sparked a witch hunt in Hollywood. Its target: films dealing with violent and/or sexualized themes. Show-business figureheads such as Stanley Kubrick, director of the incredibly controversial films A Clockwork Orange and The Shining, became personae non gratae in Tinseltown for quite a while. Some, including horror director David Cronenberg, had to entirely reinvent their styles. Some films that were in production, including a rumored sequel to the 1974 crime drama Death Wish, were deemed “too violent to sell” by the industry, and were simply cancelled.”

-From You Have The Right to Remain Silent: A Short History of Censorship by William M. Hicks

“BUSH’S TAX PLAN: AN UPHILL BATTLE”

-TIME Magazine headline, 20 April, 1981

“VICTOR FOR FIRST ROUND OF GENERAL ELECTIONS UNCLEAR”

-Le Monde, 21 April, 1981

“Now, about the Solidarity movement…”

-Statement by CIA Director William J. Casey to Pope John Paul II in Rome, Italy, 22 April, 1981

Last edited:
“NASCAR UPDATE: RICKY RUDD BEATS KYLE PETTY, GETS WIN #1 OF HIS SEASON AT MARTINSVILLE; THIRD PLACE- DALE EARNHARDT, FOURTH PLACE- NEIL BONNETT, FIFTH PLACE- LENNIE POND.”

-NASCAR on CBS, 25 April, 1981

"GISCARD WINS FIRST ROUND OF ELECTIONS"

-Le Figaro, 26 April, 1981

"My father was optimistic. Beaten, and not exactly ready to steer the country in such tumultuous times, but optimistic nonetheless. I remember him in a happy mood on the morning of April 30. The day the House was to decide upon his tax plan. Sure, O'Neill, the leader of the House, had called it 'un-American,' but he assumed that there'd be enough Republican-leaning Boll Weevils and Libertarian-leaning democrats, a "silent majority" in the house, if you will, that it would pass.

Then he heard the results."

-From An American Son: Memories from the First Son by George W. Bush

"BUSH TAX BILL REJECTED BY THE HOUSE IN 235-160 VOTE"

-The Washington Post, 28 April, 1981

"My father was struck into a panic when he heard his beloved tax plan had been rejected in a landslide. He wasn't only panicked that his declining approval rating would likely drop even harder, nor was he only terrified that the Democrats had made him look, and if you'll excuse my harsh language here, dear reader, a jackass.

He was petrified at the idea that, if he wanted to fix the economy, which he did, he'd have to compromise with O'Neill."

-From An American Son: Memories from the First Son by George W. Bush

"Today marks a day in American history where a possibly cataclysmic economic plan by the President was beat by the force of the House. What we must remember, whether you agree with the plan or not, is that the people who voted yesterday, are people. The people spoke, yesterday in Washington, and the people won."

-Statement by Speaker for the House Tip O'Neill (D-MA-8), 29 April, 1981

"BOTHA WINS RELECTION"

-The Sunday Times, 30 April, 1981

"SENATOR WILLIAMS CONVICTED FOR BRIBERY"

-The Star-Ledger, 1 May, 1981

"President Bush gave a speech to members of his cabinet today after a 'steam-blowing' emergency holiday to his family ranch in Texas, which pundits believe was a result of the rejection of his tax bill. In the transcript which was given to the presses, he claims that he will 'not sleep until the bill is in effect, and the economy is safe.'"

-C-SPAN News, 3 May, 1981

"Life is a gift of God, and on the other hand, death is unavoidable; it is necessary, therefore, that we, without in any way hastening the hour of death, should be able to accept it with full responsibility and dignity"

-From the Roman Catholic Church's Declaration on Euthanasia, released on the 5th of May, 1981

"We have just gotten reports that Irish Republican and MP Robert Sands has died..."

-BBC Radio 4, 5 May, 1981

Last edited:

Edward IX

Banned
@LordRedVine nice rework of the Kennedy assassination remarks.

Bush a Navy man quoting the Sullivan Brothers, classy.

Just a small nitpick it would be the United States v. John Warnock Hinckley, Jr. Not vice versa. Also killing the President was a Federal Crime after JFK.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.