A Thorn In The Rose: A War Of The Roses TL

I have a feeling that Margaret is the one being played here, not York (though York might still be being played? idk I tend to think that he's in the driver's seat as opposed to Warwick and Salisbury)

And besides, whatever marriage our young Earl of March might make one day, Rivers still has a very pretty daughter or two who might well turn some heads ;)

Chapter 30: Sister

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 30: Sister

February, 1455

Cecily walked arm in arm with her brother, Richard, Earl of Salisbury, down the hallway of his stately manor house, well their family’s stately manor house, it had once belonged to their father, but now belonged to him. As they walked, she asked him. “Did you have a hand in Dickon arresting Somerset?” When her husband had come back from that Council meeting to tell her what he’d done she’d worried. Worried that the Queen would now have an excuse to target him, but the Queen had done nothing, yet.

“No. That was all Dickon’s idea.” Richard replied. “I think he was glad to finally have an excuse to throw Somerset in prison.”

“And do you think it will stick?” Cecily asked. She was aware of what Somerset was like, having met him a few times before. He was spiteful, ambitious and greedy, he would never let this go if he were let out.

“I think so. Somerset is refusing to pay the fine. Until he pays the fine he can’t be let out.” Richard replied.

“And has he gotten any support from the Council?” Cecily asked.

“No.” Richard replied. “Indeed, it appears even Northumberland has abandoned him. His obstinacy is costing him allies.”

Cecily breathed a sigh of relief, if even Northumberland wasn’t sticking by Somerset then things must have changed. “That is good.”

“Indeed, though I am concerned about what Dickon does actually intend to do with Margaret Beaufort.” Richard said.

“What do you mean?” Cecily asked, her husband hadn’t mentioned the Beaufort girl to her at all, which was odd, if he had any plans for her. Usually he discussed such plans in detail with her before acting on them, he had when he’d agreed to marry their Anne to that brute Exeter.

“He mentioned offhand the other day that Margaret would make a good bride for your Edmund, and that he might just push it through now.” Richard said.

“Oh, yes.” Cecily replied, Richard had mentioned that to her a while back, she had assumed that that would be his final decision, Edward was going to inherit everything else after all. She saw her brother frowning though and thus asked. “Is that the wrong decision?”

“I don’t think it’s the wrong decision, it’s smart, but I do think Dickon should wait until the King has recovered before he makes any actual moves to get the girl. Otherwise it will look bad.” Richard answered.

Cecily sighed. She could understand where her brother was coming from, but at the same time, if the King recovered there was nothing to say that he wouldn’t just go ahead with the betrothal between Henry Beaufort and Margaret Beaufort, to appease his cousin. She didn’t bother saying that though because she knew her brother knew that. Instead, she changed the topic. “Does Somerset have many followers left?”

“Yes.” Richard said. “Surprisingly he does.”

“Who?” Cecily asked.

“Our nephew.” Richard replied.

“Ralph?” Cecily exclaimed. “I thought he had gone mad.”

“So had I.” Richard replied. “But it seems that was all an act.”

“An act?” Cecily murmured, she did not think their nephew capable of it. He had always been a kind child, sweet as well, but then when his father had died, and his mother had whispered that poison in his ear, he had changed. He had become vindictive and hateful.

“Yes, I think he wanted us to lower our guard. Now he’s reached an agreement with Somerset, my men in his household reported that this agreement includes a marriage between Westmoreland himself and Somerset’s daughter Mary.” Richard said.

“In return for what?” Cecily asked.

“In return for any armed assistance that they can provide should a struggle break out.” Richard said softly.

“A struggle?” Cecily said.

“A struggle.” Richard confirmed.

“Why does Somerset imagine there is going to be a struggle?” Cecily asked. “Richard has never given any indication that he wants to use arms to achieve his aims.”

“Dartford.” Richard countered.

“That was a thing of last resort.” Cecily said. It was true, Richard had not wanted to raise arms against the King but he had felt he had had no choice to do so. The King had failed to listen to every single one of his complaints.

“Somerset has been using that as a reason to gather support, armed support. Westmoreland might not be rich in money, but he still has a lot of men. Enough to form a significant army.” Richard said.

“And do you think it will come to that?” Cecily asked. “And have you told Richard?”

“Yes I have, and I do not know. My hope is that it does not come to that. But knowing Somerset and knowing the King, I fear that it will.” Richard replied.

“So, what are you going to do?” Cecily asked. Her brother always had a plan, even when he claimed he didn’t.

“I am going to send word to Warwick Castle and inform my son that the time has come for him to start preparing.” Richard said.

“To raise men?” Cecily asked.

“Yes.” Her brother answered.

“Won’t that just raise suspicions amongst Somerset’s supporters and the Queen?” The Queen who already hated them.

“It might, but we must prepare.” Richard said. “I’ve already had word that Northumberland has asked his sons to prepare as well.”

“For what?” Cecily asked. “I thought you said Northumberland had abandoned Somerset?”

“He has, but just because he has doesn’t mean that he won’t take the opportunity for conflict to get his own back for what he perceives we have done.” Richard answered.

Cecily sighed. “You men are just idiots. Why can’t all of this be forgiven and why can’t you all move on?”

Richard laughed. “Because we do not have a strong monarch to whip us all into line.”

Cecily raised an eyebrow at her brother. “Is that what it takes?”

“Yes.” Richard answered. “A strong monarch who scares his nobles ensures stability in the Kingdom. A weak King breeds disorder.”

“So, what is my husband then?” Cecily asked.

“He could be a strong King if he wanted to.” Richard answered.

Lol, Salisbury's plotting not resonating with you?
Not really as look to me who he is trying to force York to take actions who he do not want (sure Marguerite and Somerset are doing worse from this point-of-view but still...).
Look to me who York want right now is peace, at least inside England, but he is the only one who want that (or if others want the same they do not see York as one of them).

Plotting has replaced fox hunting as the main sport in TTL England.
Ahaha, the Game of Thrones has nothing on this

Absolutely true, but I guess who was the same OTL

Last edited:

VVD0D95

Banned
Not really as look to me who he is trying to force York to take actions who he do not want (sure Marguerite and Somerset are doing worse from this point-of-view but still...).
Look to me who York want right now is peace, at least inside England, but he is the only one who want that (or if others want the same they do not see York as one of them).

Absolutely true, but I guess who was the same OTL
Interesting

Chapter 31: Bedford

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 31: Bedford

March, 1455

“Your Grace.” Jacquetta said curtseying.

“Jacquetta, please rise.” The Queen said.

The Queen moved to one of the chairs near the window, Jacquetta took the chair opposite her. She waited until the Queen had sat down before sitting down herself. A moment passed, then the Queen spoke. “Have you heard the news?”

“Your Grace?” Jacquetta asked unsure of which piece of news the Queen was referring to.

“The Duke of York has betrothed his son, Edmund, to Margaret Beaufort, thus ensuring that at a stroke his family grows in power.” The Queen answered.

Ah. Jacquetta thought to herself. She had known York for a few years now, having first met him when their husbands were both serving in Normandy. She had never liked him, finding him far too upright and uptight. But this, this was something else. “I had not heard, Your Grace. How do you feel about it?” Jacquetta asked.

The Queen didn’t reply immediately though her brow furrowed, which Jacquetta knew meant she wasn’t happy. “I think that York’s reasoning is not wrong. He needs to secure an inheritance for his younger sons, but after having had Somerset imprisoned for trying to do the same thing, it does ring a bit hollow to me.”

“Could Your Grace not veto it?” Jacquetta asked. “After all, Lady Margaret is a member of the King’s extended family.”

The Queen shook her head. “No, York is the only one with that power as Lord Protector, and the King is not well enough to do anything about it. Besides, even if he were I do not think it would be a wise idea to veto this betrothal.”

“Why do you say so, Your Grace?” Jacquetta asked though she had an idea as to why.

The Queen took a deep breath and replied. “Because York is powerful and because he has been nothing but loyal. I might disagree with some of the things he has done, but he has worked hard to restore order to the Kingdom.”

Jacquetta opened her mouth to point out that York had no doubt had a hand in Salisbury’s letter, her husband was convinced of it, but closed it and decided to change tack. “I can see Your Grace’s point. Still, that cannot be a good thing to think of. York enriching his family at the cost of those who have served the Crown without ever getting ideas into their heads.”

Jacquetta knew she was playing a very dangerous game here, by mentioning York’s attempted uprising at Dartford, and referencing the Cade Rebellion but she needed to know where the Queen stood on that end. Especially, if as Richard had told her, Salisbury and Warwick were preparing for war. The Queen sighed once more. “You are right, but there is very little I can actually do. Somerset rots in the Tower, Northumberland spends more time worrying about the Scots, Buckingham is a neutral arbiter and Kemp has now retired to his diocese.”

“The Archbishop is old though, Your Grace. Surely, Your Grace has an idea of who to replace him with.” Jacquetta replied.

“I did.” The Queen said. “But the moment The Archbishop retired, York announced Salisbury as Lord Chancellor. And because Worcester is going away travelling, he’s also named The Duke of Norfolk as Lord High Treasurer.”

“Norfolk?” Jacquetta exclaimed. She had met the man a few times, he was wild and uncontrollable, what was York thinking by appointing him?

“Indeed, that was what I had thought, but it seems that most of the Treasurer’s duties are being held by York or one of his deputies. Sir Leonard Hastings. Norfolk is only symbolic.” The Queen said.

“Ah.” Jacquetta replied. She knew that something would need to change to ensure that the Queen’s position was secure. Somerset might be an idiot, but she did not think his son was. Henry Beaufort had the makings of a great man, of that Jacquetta was sure.

“But enough about that. Tell me, how have you all been? I have missed you at court.” The Queen said.

“We have been well, thank you, Your Grace.” Jacquetta said. “Elizabeth, my eldest daughter has just given birth to a son. A healthy boy named Henry, after His Grace the King.”

The Queen smiled. “I had heard yes, I had been meaning to send my congratulations, but with everything going on at court.”

“I understand, Your Grace.” Jacquetta replied.

“And what of your other children?” The Queen asked.

“Well, my husband and I are currently looking for a husband for our daughter Anne.” Jacquetta said, letting a possible suggestion hang in the air.

“And, have you found anyone?” The Queen asked.

“Unfortunately, not yet. It seems things have become very quiet.” Jacquetta replied.

The Queen frowned. “That is no good at all. Do you want some assistance?”

You’ve got a candidate I want. Jacquetta thought to herself, however she replied. “If that would not strain Your Grace’s time?”

The Queen smiled. “Not at all, I would be delighted to help.”

Good, maybe then I can move you toward Somerset’s brood. Jacquetta thought to herself. “Thank you, Your Grace.” Jacquetta replied smiling.

There was a knock on the door then. “Enter.” The Queen commanded. The door opened and a servant hurried in, he bent down low and whispered in the Queen’s ear. The Queen turned to look at the servant and asked. “Are you sure.”

“Completely, Your Grace. The man the Lord Chamberlain sent was most insistent that I tell you at once.” The servant replied.

The Queen grinned. “Excellent, thank you. Here.” The woman reached into a bag at her side and pulled out two gold coins. “Take this.”

“Thank you, Your Grace.” The servant replied, bowing before scampering away.

The Queen turned back to her then and said. “I must apologise, Jacquetta, but I must leave for London at once.”

“Your Grace?” Jacquetta asked alarmed.

“It appears His Grace the King has recovered.” The Queen said.

Jacquetta smiled. “That is wonderful news, Your Grace.”