A Thorn In The Rose: A War Of The Roses TL

Lemme get this straight. You think that the Woodvilles stayed on the Lancastrian side but acknowledge that Elizabeth Woodville married Edward IV? Sounds paradoxical to me.
Well they stayed on the Lancastrian side UNTIL Edward married Elizabeth (AND that event, who depend by Edward’s will changed their side) so the Woodvilles being Lancastrian NOW is irrelevant for York (as many things can change BEFORE that choice of Edward)

Well they stayed on the Lancastrian side UNTIL Edward married Elizabeth (AND that event, who depend by Edward’s will changed their side) so the Woodvilles being Lancastrian NOW is irrelevant for York (as many things can change BEFORE that choice of Edward)
I think one of us has gotten confused over what the other is saying. To recap, @Kurt_Steiner said:
If the Woodvilles join the Lancastrian side and remain there, it's good news for York.
And you responded by saying :
That was exactly what they had done in OTL
And I responded to this by saying;
Did they? Cuz I coulda sworn a Woodville married a Yorkist king IOTL.

I understood your statement as "the Woodvilles stayed on the Lancastrian side IOTL" and put forward my own contradictory claim. Is this correct? Because if so, then I stand by what I said.

I think one of us has gotten confused over what the other is saying. To recap, @Kurt_Steiner said:

And you responded by saying :

And I responded to this by saying;

I understood your statement as "the Woodvilles stayed on the Lancastrian side IOTL" and put forward my own contradictory claim. Is this correct? Because if so, then I stand by what I said.
I was saying who Kurt_Steiner ‘s affirmation had no sense as the Woodville in OTL were Lancastrians and remained Lancastrians until after the Yorkist victory.
And how them staying can that being good news for York if OTL the only reason for their switch to the Yorkist’s side was Edward’s wedding to Elizabeth (as the switch was a consequence of that match)?

I was saying who Kurt_Steiner ‘s affirmation had no sense as the Woodville in OTL were Lancastrians and remained Lancastrians until after the Yorkist victory.
And how them staying can that being good news for York if OTL the only reason for their switch to the Yorkist’s side was Edward’s wedding to Elizabeth (as the switch was a consequence of that match)?
Uhh, in the Towton theatre, sure. In the Tewkesbury theatre, nada. The WotR didn't end in 1464.

Because reasons that OTL tells us. Eg. Don't marry some random widow if marrying said widow is gonna alienate your most valuable ally.

Last edited:
Uhh, in the Towton theatre, sure. In the Tewkesbury theatre, nada. The WotR didn't end un 1464.

Because reasons that OTL tells us. Eg. Don't marry some random widow if marrying said widow is gonna alienate your most valuable ally.
Oh, well. I think Edward at that point had more than enough of Warwick (who was trying to rule him)

The Queen took a deep breath and replied. “Because York is powerful and because he has been nothing but loyal. I might disagree with some of the things he has done, but he has worked hard to restore order to the Kingdom.”
Annnnnd there we go, finally some sense out of Margaret!

Chapter 32: A Return To Sanity

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 32: A Return To Sanity

March, 1455

The sun hit him in the face. Henry tried desperately to prevent it from doing so, but no matter how slight his movements-and they were slight-nothing changed. The sun still hit him squarely in the face. It was rather aggravating. How he had come to be in this position he did not know. But now that he was in it, he would need to find a way to work around it. Henry cleared his throat and called out. A servant appeared then, a young boy, handsome, who Henry did not recognise. “You, untie these things.” He commanded.

“Yes, Your Grace.” The servant replied, moving toward him, and slowly and surely undoing the things that prevented him from moving freely.

Once they fell to the ground, Henry exhaled deeply, feeling a great relief at not having to be tied toward something. “What day is it?” Henry asked the servant.

“It is Wednesday, Your Grace.” The servant said.

“And the month?” Henry asked, he got the feeling that something big had happened.

“March, Sire.” The servant said.

There was a knock on the door, which then proceeded to open. Another servant stepped in, this one was deformed, ugly. “His Highness the Duke of York is outside, Sire.”

“Send him in.” Henry said, unable to quite process what the other servant had said. How could it be March?

York strode in confidently, wearing the badge of office that marked him out as Lord Protector, Henry frowned at that. Had he truly been gone for that long? “Your Grace.” York replied bowing.

“Sit.” Henry commanded. York did as he was bid, sitting in a chair opposite Henry. “The servants tell me that it is March, Richard, is that true?”

York sighed, that was not a good sign. “Yes, Your Grace.”

“You mean to tell me that I have been out for all this time?” Henry demanded. He could not believe it. How had this happened? The last time had only been for a few weeks, not months.

“Yes Sire.” York said.

“What caused it?” Henry demanded.

“Her Grace the Queen miscarried, Sire.” York said softly.

“She miscarried?” Henry asked.

“Yes, Sire.” York replied.

Henry took a breath, the memories flooding back to him. Him leaning down and feeling blood on Margaret’s legs, seeing the blood staining her skirts, looking up at her and her telling him that she had been with child. Then the darkness. Until now. “Where is she? Where is my wife?” Henry demanded.

York raised his hands out as if to touch Henry, causing him to flinch back in his chair. York pulled his hands back and said. “She’s gone to visit the Dowager Duchess of Bedford, Your Grace. I have sent a messenger out to inform her that you are awake.”

Henry nodded, uncurling his arms and asked. “What has happened since I was gone?” It felt strange to know that so much time had passed since his little incident. It was unnerving.

“I shall focus on the main events, if that is quite alright with you, Sire?” York replied.

“Do so.” Henry commanded.

“New road networks have been built across the Kingdom. This has seen an increase in trade that is slowly starting to rebuild the Kingdom’s coffers. Relations with Burgundy have improved considerably, the peace treaty with France has also seen trade resume.” York said.

“Good.” Henry said, he was genuinely pleased at that. He had always thought that a never-ending war with France would be terrible for them.

“But there has also been some bad news.” York said.

Something in Henry’s stomach dropped at that. He saw York frown and said. “Go on, I will not break, I promise.” He did not know if he could keep that promise.

“There was an attack on Lord Egremont a few months ago during a feast that he was holding to celebrate the birth of his daughter. Three of his brothers died in the attack, and those responsible for it are still at large.” York said.

“I see.” Henry said. “I will write to Egremont.” The man would want to hear from the King, Henry was sure.

“Of course, Your Grace.” York said.

“And?” Henry asked.

“Sire?” York replied.

“What other bad news is there? I have found that where good news comes, there is usually a similar amount of bad news.” Henry said. “So, tell me what the other piece of bad news is.”

York shifted slightly in his chair. Henry got the feeling that he was preparing to tell him something very unsavoury, and thus braced himself for that. What York said though was nowhere near as serious as Henry had first thought. “I have had to send Lord Somerset to the Tower, Sire.”

“Why?” Henry asked.

“Because he tried to do something without seeking approval from the Council or from myself, and has since refused to pay the fine that would see him released from the Tower.” York replied.

Henry sighed. Edmund had gotten himself into trouble again. Why did that not surprise Henry. He was growing tired of his cousin’s constant stubbornness. “Surely he would have realised that with you in charge, compliance would be the best thing to do?” Henry asked.

York laughed. “I think Lord Somerset does not like me very much, Sire. Hence his actions.”

Henry sighed. “Very well, thank you for mentioning these things to me. Inform the Council that I shall be coming to the next meeting.”

“Sire.” York said.

“When is the next meeting?” Henry asked.

“In two days’ time, Sire.” York replied.

“Very well, thank you. You may go.” Henry said. York rose, bowed and then left. Once he was gone, Henry was left thinking to himself that something about what York had said didn’t seem right to him. Somerset may not like York, but would he completely defy him if he knew that the man held power? And then there was the Egremont issue. That sounded like something a rival would do. A blatant infringement of the norms of their time. Something was going on here.