A Thorn In The Rose: A War Of The Roses TL

So happy Edmund can rule in peace now. Now go find some good matches for his children.

Btw, I have one question. Where on earth is Richard of Gloucester?

House of York

VVD0D95

Banned
What ducal title has Thomas of York been given, since he's one of the king's brothers?
Richard III.jpg

Chapter 213: Love

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 213: Love

February, 1470

“Richard stop fidgeting.” Margaret barked at her eldest son. She didn’t mean the words though; she was just as anxious and impatient to look upon Edmund. His letter had come and she’d sung her heart out at the news.

Mass had been said to say thanks, and bells had rung and the city had celebrated. And now Edmund was returning. He’d already entered the city, but was making his way to the Palace by boat. She couldn’t wait to see him, to hold him, to kiss him.

“Will Papa remember me?” Richard asked softly.

“Of course. You are his son; he will remember you.” Margaret said to their eldest.

There was a silence then as they waited. Margaret wondered what state Edmund would be in. His letters didn’t suggest he was troubled, but then he’d just killed the greatest threat to their family and the woman who’d sired that threat. That would take its toll on anyone. She’d be there for him, of course. She would not imagine doing anything else.

A guard hurried up to her and said. “His Majesty approaches, Majesty.”

Margaret nodded her thanks and straightened. She could see the boat now. The moment it stopped she had to use all her strength not to run to where it was. Slowly, very slowly, Edmund appeared and got off the board. He was accompanied by his brothers Thomas and Richard, and by Huntingdon, Essex, and countless others. Margaret sunk into a curtsey, whilst her sons and daughters bowed or curtseyed.

“Your Majesty.” Margaret said.

She saw Edmund’s finger point upwards indicating they could rise, and so she did so as did the rest of the court. Edmund smiled at her. “Your Majesty.”

He looked at their son and the rest of their children and smiled. “Children.”

“Your Majesty.” They answered solemnly.

He looked at the rest of those gathered around them. “The war is over. The Lancastrians are dead!”

That was greeted by a cheer.

Edmund then looked back at her and took her hand in his. He kissed it, and then looked at her again and said. “We are safe now. We are whole.”

Margaret smiled, she let go of their son who hugged Edmund and then ran off. Margaret laughed as did Edmund, he then pulled her close and kissed her full on the mouth, when they broke apart she whispered. “I love you and I am so proud of you, my King.” She meant it, every word she’d said.

Edmund smiled. “I love you, my Queen.”

Thank you

VVD0D95

Banned
Wow. Well, after 191,000 words and 213 chapters, and a few re-writes and change of plans, we're finally here, the end.

I had a few ideas for how this could end, and it was only around January that I decided that this was how I was going to do it.

I think it's a fitting ending, the nice way to say goodbye.

Thank you to everyone who has read, commented and liked the chapters on this fic. Thank you for the lively discussion afterward.

It's been a hell of a lot of fun.

I'm exhausted now, and it's sunny, so I think I'll go have a cold beer and enjoy the last of my weekend.

Cheers

VV.

A good ending! Although a part of me wishes that it would have continued into the plague years of the 1470s for extra drama and devastation ;) But this is a good and warm ending. Hopefully Edmund manages to heal the kingdom like Henry VII did OTL, and without any claimants to the throne around, and with a war lasting much shorter, it should be an easier task. Long live King Edmund I and Queen Margaret Beaufort!

Deleted member 147978

And so ends "A Thorn In The Rose", another run-of-the-mill Yorkist TL with interesting twists and turns. However, I do appreciate it.

Sucks that Westminster has to die and will still be remembered as the only Heir Apparent to die in battle IOTL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Odd way to spell Queen Margaret I and Prince-Consort Edmund ;)
Considering the time period he'd be King jure uxoris, also called King Consort, under a Lancaster view.
So he and his wife would be King & Queen in the basic terminology regardless if you view only the York or the Lancaster succession as being valid.