A Thorn In The Rose: A War Of The Roses TL

Oh, Henry is again himself and we will see what will happen.
I see who York had not told him what exactly Somerset had tried to do

VVD0D95

Banned
Oh, Henry is again himself and we will see what will happen.
I see who York had not told him what exactly Somerset had tried to do
Indeed not, by doing that, York may have just set himself up though. Kings don't tend to like having important details left out.

Indeed not, by doing that, York may have just set himself up though. Kings don't tend to like having important details left out.
Well is not like Henry had left instructions supporting Somerset’s claim so York was justified in acting like he has done, specially as what know who the King was thinking to a match between Margaret Beaufort and March (many had heard of the King’s will about the match with March, nobody but Somerset and Queen about her marrying Henry Beaufort). Many would say who Richard acted wisely (and in accordance with what he believed was the King’s decision) about the engagement of little Margaret.
In any case Somerset’s actions were wrong, and if he had gone to the Council he would not be in prison now

VVD0D95

Banned
Well is not like Henry had left instructions supporting Somerset’s claim so York was justified in acting like he has done, specially as what know who the King was thinking to a match between Margaret Beaufort and March (many had heard of the King’s will about the match with March, nobody but Somerset and Queen about her marrying Henry Beaufort). Many would say who Richard acted wisely (and in accordance with what he believed was the King’s decision) about the engagement of little Margaret.
In any case Somerset’s actions were wrong, and if he had gone to the Council he would not be in prison now

Indeed, but is Henry going to see it like that?

VVD0D95

Banned
He is stupid? He know York? He know Somerset? He can see how things looked to the others? He know how much partial is Marguerite?

He's also the King, who may well have expected the whole issue of marriage to wait until he was recovered no?

He's also the King, who may well have expected the whole issue of marriage to wait until he was recovered no?
Possible, BUT with Somerset’s kind of action and without having any idea of when the King would be himself again? Margaret Beaufort was becoming a trouble and an engagement is not a wedding. Also I wonder if he will remember to have talked about that to Somerset (as he had most likely removed his conversation with Marguerite who was just before his descent in the madness)...

Do you really need an answer?

Henry didn't exactly measure upto the required standards of Kingship, so idt he'd do much.
Not really, but as I think the correct answer is no to the first and yes to the others is unlikely York will be in too much troubles for having done what he thought the best in a complicated situation.
He was not a strong King and played too much favorites, that is sure but he was neither a bad King or his nobles would have no respect at all for him

Chapter 33: Crofts

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 33: Crofts

April, 1455

“Take that box over to the pantry and make sure the cook knows it’s there.” John Crofts, Steward of Ludlow Castle commanded.

“Yes, Sir.” One of the servants said.

John watched as the man picked up the thing and hurried away. They were all in a bit of a rush because a letter had arrived today from the Duchess of York, informing them that she would be returning to Ludlow for the summer. As such, John knew they had to hurry through everything. The Duchess did not like things to be messy.

“James, can you hurry things up a bit please, you’re giving me a heart problem.” John barked at his second in command, his brother James. The man gave him a one fingered gesture before hurrying things along.

A servant bowed before John and said. “This came through just now, Sir. It’s for the stables.”

John took the thing from the servant and looked at it. It was a small piece of paper with a little dragon on it. Shit. He knew exactly what that meant. He looked at the servant. “Thank you, I’ll handle this.” The servant bowed and hurried away. John watched him go and then turned and hurried along to the stables.

He nodded to various people as he all but ran to the stables. It was important that nobody saw him talking to who he suspected was going to be waiting for him. But it was also important that he did not give anyone any reason to suspect that something was up. He slowed to a brisk walk as the stables got in sight. At the door, he stopped, took a breath and then pushed the door open. Immediately he was hit by smells of shit and piss. He’d need to tell William to do a better job of cleaning this place out.

He looked around trying to find the figure, but couldn’t, he was about to turn and walk out when a slightly high pitched voice spoke.

“You should really tell your man to clean this place.”

John squinted and whispered. “Who is it?”

A figure stepped out from behind a pillar. They wore riding gear, and as they stepped closer, John got the faintest smell of perfume. “You know who I am.” The figure said, their voice deeper now.

“What do you want?” John asked.

“To see how you are doing.” The figure replied. “It’s been sometime since we spoke.”

“You told me not to write to you.” John snarled. The figure had made that quite clear.

“I know.” The figure said. “So, what’s happened?”

“The Duchess of York is coming to Ludlow to be with her sons. Her younger children are coming with her.” John said. “We’re preparing for her arrival.”

“I know.” The figure said.

A silence and then John sighed. “My brother William has written to say that Warwick’s built up a strong force. He’s just waiting for the right moment to strike.”

“Against who?” The figure asked.

“Northumberland. It seems he’s been told to pre-empt any move that Northumberland might make.” John said.

“Good.” The figure replied.

“Good?” John asked surprised. “I thought you didn’t want there to be a war?”

The figure sighed. “War is inevitable now. Salisbury and Northumberland want it to happen, so does Somerset. The Queen, the King and York are all just pawns in their game.”

“Your game you mean.” John said.

The figure feigned hurt. “I am not playing any game, John. I am merely trying to ensure that the Kingdom is secure.”

“You are pushing the Kingdom to war.” John said.

The figure turned serious then. “And you will get what you want. Revenge for your brother and your sister’s husband.”

John exhaled. His brother Richard had been slain during Egremont’s attack on Salisbury’s party as had his brother by marriage, Henry. Both had been good men and they had been denied justice. John had met this figure then, and he had promised him revenge. “What more do you want? You sent a letter., why come here as well?”

The figure smiled. “Because I need you to do something for me.”

“What?” John asked.

“I need you to push the Duchess of York into pressuring her husband into marrying his son to Margaret Beaufort within the year.” The figure said.

“The boy won’t be eligible to marry until next year. He’s only twelve now.” John said.

“I’m not talking about Edmund.” The figure said.

“You want the Beaufort girl to marry Edward? Why?” John asked.

“Because it will get the situation we want.” The figure said.

“And that is?” John asked.

“A state where by England can prosper with a King who is willing to fight for her.” the figure replied.

“And if York refuses? Which we both know he will.” John asked.

“Then you are to propose the other option we discussed.” The figure said.

“Marrying his son Thomas to the Neville girl?” John asked.

“Yes.” The figure said. “That will provoke Somerset and the Queen.”

“And you are sure that Somerset is going to be released?” John asked.

“Yes, the King will be learning about the true reason for why he was imprisoned soon enough.” The figure said.

John sighed. “Fine, I will do what you ask.”

The figure smiled. “Good.” The figure made to disappear, but before he did, John grabbed his hand and asked.

“How will I know that all of this is over?”

The figure smiled. “When England is strong again.” The figure wrenched his hand out of John’s grip and then walked away. John watched the figure go and sighed.

What had he gotten himself into and why had he allowed his desire for revenge cloud his better judgement? He did not know, but he had said he would do it, and so he would. Even if it meant he ended up dead.

John looked at the thing in his hand and tore it up, allowing the paper to fall to the ground. He’d deal with it later. He took another breath and then walked out of the stables, and made his way back to the main forecourt.

Will there be war in Scotland in order to have peace on England kind of like the reason that Henry V of England whent to war with France to secure his familys rain in England.

VVD0D95

Banned
Will there be war in Scotland in order to have peace on England kind of like the reason that Henry V of England whent to war with France to secure his familys rain in England.

Waging war on Scotland when they've given no reason to-James II's not actually done anything to invoke this-would be mental

Waging war on Scotland when they've given no reason to-James II's not actually done anything to invoke this-would be mental
It would keep peace in England and the kings of due have a claim to Scotland and besides in England could conquer Scotland but it could not take France. All so mediaeval kings I suppose to do free things be good at war, keep peace in the realm and protect the church. All this can be achieved by taking Scotland and keep the factions in England from kill each other by kill foreign enemies.

VVD0D95

Banned
It would keep peace in England and the kings of due have a claim to Scotland and besides in England could conquer Scotland but it could not take France. All so mediaeval kings I suppose to do free things be good at war, keep peace in the realm and protect the church. All this can be achieved by taking Scotland and keep the factions in England from kill each other by kill foreign enemies.

England's claim to Scotland is about three hundred years in the past, and they tried to take Scotland once before, they didn't exactly succeed.

England's claim to Scotland is about three hundred years in the past, and they tried to take Scotland once before, they didn't exactly succeed.
Fail because Edward I the first what's fighting France, Wales and Scotland all at the same time and his son Edward II was one of the worst king in English history though I believe he's beaten by ethelred unready. We also have the facts that King Edward III of England was to busy fighting France in an unwinnable war so he could keep Gascony. To me it makes more logical sense to fight Scotland than fighting an hundred years war with France which some historians believe ended in the reign of Mary the first England.

VVD0D95

Banned
Fail because Edward I the first what's fighting France, Wales and Scotland all at the same time and his son Edward II was one of the worst king in English history though I believe he's beaten by ethelred unready. We also have the facts that King Edward III of England was to busy fighting France in an unwinnable war so he could keep Gascony. To me it makes more logical sense to fight Scotland than fighting an hundred years war with France which some historians believe ended in the reign of Mary the first England.

Edward didn't really get involved in France until 1337, by which point Edward's direct involvement was questionnable

The English have just gotten their asses handed to them by France, they aren't gonna declare war on a French ally (or declare war on a foreign state at all).