A Thorn In The Rose: A War Of The Roses TL

I think at the moment it's perhaps a bit too soon though France and Scotland will be coming into the picture soon.
Good.
I think seeing Rutland would be good. If an adult is required, I'd like to see Buckingham's take on things.
Yes, Rutland or Buckingham would be good...
I would love to know what hell Queen Marguerite is doing but I suspect is way too early for that so...

@Zygmunt Stary well I still believe Margaret would do much better to marry Rutland so I hope she will marry him in the end as she would be a Countess and wife of a “prince of blood”. March do not need her lands but with Rutland would be a perfect wedding of interest for both: he would acquire wealth (her money and lands) and she status (the title of Countess and the status of a proper junior princess).
@CaptainShadow Edmund Tudor was surely in no way a saint and his actions were borderline also for his time but you do not believe who would be pretty easy for him manipulating Margaret in agreeing to consummate the wedding? He was anxious to consolidate his claim on her lands, but that do not means who he needed or wished do it against her will.

Well I pretty much can not stand Somerset as he was a plotter, incompetent, insure of his status, and hungry for power who only damaged England and who damaged a lot England discredited and damaged his much more competent rivals and made a bad use of the King’s love and trust. So I am always ready to think the worst of him. Maybe I am wrong but in his conversation with Margaret I feel an echo of his words to Marguerite (and he was surely manipulating the latter)

well I still believe Margaret would do much better to marry Rutland so I hope she will marry him in the end as she would be a Countess and wife of a “prince of blood”. March do not need her lands but with Rutland would be a perfect wedding of interest for both: he would acquire wealth (her money and lands) and she status (the title of Countess and the status of a proper junior princess).

Rutland? Maybe, it depends on how he would turn out ITTL. But there are many Yorkist-leaning TLs on this side, so I'd like to see her marrying Henry Beaufort and what will come out of it.

Edmund Tudor was surely in no way a saint and his actions were borderline also for his time but you do not believe who would be pretty easy for him manipulating Margaret in agreeing to consummate the wedding? He was anxious to consolidate his claim on her lands, but that do not means who he needed or wished do it against her will.
Most early teen girls (i.e. in Margaret's age group) I know aren't exactly jumping to have sex (and I know a lot). I'm not discounting the possibility that she did consent to the consumnation, but personally, I find it unlikely.

Rutland? Maybe, it depends on how he would turn out ITTL. But there are many Yorkist-leaning TLs on this side, so I'd like to see her marrying Henry Beaufort and what will come out of it.
Knowing @VVD0D95, I think it's possible that we both get our wish.

And Rutland can turn out nothing but good, because
20201116_194754.jpg

Most early teen girls (i.e. in Margaret's age group) I know aren't exactly jumping to have sex (and I know a lot). I'm not discounting the possibility that she did consent to the consumnation, but personally, I find it unlikely.
Duty and security, plus that was another era... still highly unlikely she enjoyed that but she was not supposed to enjoy it at any age so...

Chapter 28: Buckingham's Concern

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 28: Buckingham’s Concern

January, 1455

“The rivalries within the Council cannot be allowed to spread throughout the Kingdom.” Humphrey said as he and the Archbishop of Canterbury and Lord Chancellor walked through the gardens of the Palace of Westminster.

“I agree with you, Lord Buckingham, but those who have rivalries on the Council are men who are influential throughout the Kingdom. Men such as Salisbury and Northumberland who dominate the north, or York and Somerset who dominate the Marches and the Midlands. They are not men who can be persuaded to easily give up their grudges.” Lord Chancellor Archbishop Kemp said.

“Then we are going to be at a crossroads until some sort of solution is found.” Humphrey said. “And I do not think a crossroads is a good thing.” He knew his history; he knew the last time they’d been at a crossroads there had been a war and King Edward II had been deposed and then murdered.

“What would you suggest?” The Lord Chancellor asked.

Humphrey sighed. “The only thing I can think of is some sort of reconciliation day, where all sides agree to put aside their grievances and work together for the common good. But such an initiative would require the King’s blessing.” And the King was currently no better than a ghost, if Humphrey’s spies within the Royal household were correct.

“We could always give them a common enemy.” Kemp argued.

“Who?” Humphrey asked. “France has not antagonised us; Burgundy has no reason to. Ireland is quiet.”

“Scotland.” Kemp said. “I have had word that King James intends to recapture certain forts and lands that are still in our hands.”

“Has he not been planning on doing that for some time though?” Humphrey asked. If he remembered correctly, King James had been wanting to recapture Roxburgh for at least two years, though something or the other always arose to stop him.

“Yes, but this time I believe the situation has evolved.” Kemp answered.

“Evolved? How?” Humphrey asked.

“He has finally managed to bring the Douglases under control and has now rallied the remaining Scottish opposition under his banner. I believe he will now try to take back some of the land we hold as a sign of strength and to unite his people behind him.” Kemp said.

Humphrey sighed. Kemp was speaking sense, if King James had half the sense that their reports indicated he had, then he would most definitely be pursuing such a strategy. And truth be told so would Humphrey if he were in the man’s position. “So, we inform them of this and then what? Hope that Northumberland and Salisbury put their differences aside long enough to command the army in response?”

“We exaggerate the threat.” Kemp said. “Salisbury and Northumberland barely check the news coming from the borders anymore, and they are more likely to believe you due to your reputation.”

“How much exaggeration am I to put into this threat?” Humphrey asked feeling slightly ill at ease about this.

“Claim that King James is preparing on relaunching his ancestor’s claim to Northumbria if you must, my lord, but they must be made to see the seriousness of the problem.” The Lord Chancellor said.

Humphrey grunted, he doubted that anyone would believe him if he said that King James wanted Northumbria, no Scottish King had tried to claim it since King Alexander II, and that too had required King John to be at war with his barons. “Very well.” He said, a silence fell between the Lord Chancellor and Humphrey then, the two of them just walking and admiring the view.

Humphrey did have to admit that the Palace gardens were much more beautiful than he remembered. There were a lot of things growing here that he hadn’t seen before. He made a note to show his wife the gardens when she came to visit. He knew she would definitely like them. He stopped walking when the Lord Chancellor did and noticed that the man was grimacing. “Are you quite well, Lord Chancellor?” Humphrey asked.

The Lord Chancellor sighed. “I keep getting pains in my chest. I have spoken with the Doctor and he is not sure what the matter could be.”

“Do you want to sit down?” Humphrey asked, nodding to the benches that were close by.

The Lord Chancellor shook his head and then turned around when he heard someone call his name. Humphrey turned around as well and found himself looking at Leonard Hastings, a servant of the Duke of York’s. “My lords, forgive the interruption, but His Highness the Duke of York has requested your presence in the Council Chamber.”

Humphrey shared a look with Kemp before walking passed Hastings and back into the Palace. He briefly found himself wondering what could have happened to prompt the Lord Protector to summon them back to the Chamber. Had the King recovered? Had France broken the treaty? So many things were running through his head as he walked through the hallways and up the stairs to the Council Chamber, not all of them good thoughts.

When he and Kemp eventually got to the Council Chamber, they found York glaring at Somerset. “Your Highness?” Kemp said, getting York’s attention.

“Ah Lord Chancellor, Lord Buckingham, good you are both here.” York said. “I want your advice on something.”

“Certainly, Your Highness.” Humphrey said cautiously.

“Lord Somerset here has just informed me that he intends for his son Henry to marry Margaret Beaufort. He claims that His Grace the King approved of the marriage, but has nothing to support this claim. He did not come to the Council beforehand to seek approval for the marriage and as such I believe he has broken the law. He claims otherwise. Who is right?” York asked.

Humphrey shared a look with Kemp, this was dangerous ground to tread on. But the law was clear. The Lord Protector got the final say on betrothals when the King was incapacitated. Therefore, it was with great reluctance that Humphrey said. “You, Your Highness.”

“Lord Buckingham is correct.” Kemp said.

“I thought so.” York said. The man then clapped his hands and called out. “Guards, take Lord Somerset to the Tower.” Humphrey watched shocked as two guards walked in and grabbed Somerset by the arms and hauled him out of the room. He had a feeling this wasn’t going to end well at all.

Humphrey watched shocked as two guards walked in and grabbed Somerset by the arms and hauled him out of the room. He had a feeling this wasn’t going to end well at all.

Poor Buckingham, he and Kemp are the most sympathetic characters in whole TL, even if flawed and imperfect, because they don't care that much about whole York vs Somerset rivalry, and they seem to just want what's best for England and their king.

VVD0D95

Banned
Poor Buckingham, he and Kemp are the most sympathetic characters in whole TL, even if flawed and imperfect, because they don't care that much about whole York vs Somerset rivalry, and they seem to just want what's best for England and their king.

Out of the adults so far? Yes, I'd say they're the ones putting the KIngdom before all else. The kids are pretty innocent though.

Woah...the Queen is not going to be happy when she hears about this.
Oh most definitely not, most definitely not.
Well, that is also HER fault. If she stopped five minutes to see the world throught Somerset’s eyes AND evaluated the TRUE situations she would be able to understand who giving more power to an incompetent like Somerset and antagonising York, who is both loyal and competent AND also a POTENTIAL danger (but one who most likely will not do anything unless he was proved and pushed in acting) IS A MONUMENTAL IDIOCY (well that if her loyalty is to her husband’s kingdom, who is her new son’s inheritance instead of remaining loyal to her uncle and relatives) maybe things would be better.

Last edited:

VVD0D95

Banned
Well, that is also HER fault. If she stopped five minutes to see the world throught Somerset’s eyes AND evaluated the TRUE situations she would be able to understand who giving more power to an incompetent like Somerset and antagonising York, who is both loyal and competent AND also a POTENTIAL danger (but one who most likely will not do anything unless he was proved and pushed in acting) IS A MONUMENTAL IDIOCY (well that if her loyal is to her husband’s kingdom, who is her new son’s inheritance instead of remaining loyal to her uncle and relatives) maybe things would be better
I wouldn’t say she’s loyal to her uncle etc but she’s definitely blinkered when it comes to Somerset

I wouldn’t say she’s loyal to her uncle etc but she’s definitely blinkered when it comes to Somerset
I hope she is loyal to her husband and son now. Still Margaret and her being fully in love with (but in a platonic way only) and trusting only Somerset aside, I hope who young Margaret Beaufort will be engaged quickly to the best husband for her, who is neither of the King’s candidates BUT Rutland

VVD0D95

Banned
I hope she is loyal to her husband and son now. Still Margaret and her being fully in love with (but in a platonic way only) and trusting only Somerset aside, I hope who young Margaret Beaufort will be engaged quickly to the best husband for her, who is neither of the King’s candidates BUT Rutland
😉