Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

People's Republic of South Rome

During the beginning of 11th century the Italian lands of Byzantine empire declared Independence as Republic of South Rome....
and from 1922 Republic of South Rome has been a communist state as People's Republic of South Rome.
Latin is used as state language.

and flag:

attachment.php

The Latest Challenge

Thanks to everyone who voted for my flag and for all the other entries as well. :)

Flag Challenge 99: The United Regions of America

The challenge is to design a flag for a region of the United States such as New England, the Midwest or the Pacific Northwest. The region and its boundaries are up to you and can be part of the OTL US or an alternate US, but it must consist of at least three states/territories/districts which must be specified in the flag description.

Challenge begins: Tuesday 3rd September
Challenge ends: Tuesday 10th September
Voting begins: Wednesday 11th September
Voting ends: Wednesday 18th September

All dates are BST (UTC+1)

Good luck!

And posting these questions here in the correct thread...

Must it be a subnational unit, or can it be an independent federation or similar? If the former, is this a replacement for the current state system or in addition to it?

It should be a subnational interstate region, like the census regions or federal regions, or the regions of England or France. What powers the region has (if any) are up to you.

Coolio. When you say it has to be a part of a United States, how much leeway are you giving to that concept? Does it have to be a region of a state descended from that which gained independence in 1776? Could we do, for example, a region of a *British North America, or *Confederacy, or *Louisiana?

Coolio. When you say it has to be a part of a United States, how much leeway are you giving to that concept? Does it have to be a region of a state descended from that which gained independence in 1776? Could we do, for example, a region of a *British North America, or *Confederacy, or *Louisiana?
It can either be part of the United States or a country which used to be part of the United States so yes to a region of the *CSA, but no to a region of *BNA. Obviously any breakaway country would have to be federal and have more than three federal entities to meet the other criteria of the challenge.

Here's my quickie for the Riverine Region which is composed of the (ATL) states of Texas, Rio Grande, & New Mexico.

[edit: expo]
The first drafts of the Articles of Confederation fail and by the time unification becomes doable there are 3 confederations already in place - New England, (Greater) Virginia, and (Greater) Georgia - with a few states still technically separate. The newly formed Federation of America therefore concedes these confederations or Regions as its top level of federal government with each Region gaining 3-5 Senators depending on population and new territories effectively being organised into Regions of their own.
One of the latest to be added was the Riverine Federal Republic and helped kickstart the Mexican Wars

The Flag features 3 stars for the 3 states and also reflects the 3 stars of the Rio Grande flag and New Mexico's Stars & Tricolore.
The blue represents the rivers flowing through the states - the red and white stripes.
The gold stars on blue also reflect the gold on blue Texan Flag, the Lone Star Blue.

Riverine.PNG

Last edited:
I'll also work on something this weekend. I like the challenge enough and I have enough time (and motivation) to make a flag for it, too.

In the early 1990s, as part of the efforts at a more vexilogically-sound revamping of most of the state flags, the US federal government spearheaded the idea to create flags for their new "America of Regions" project. The project was created to rebrand, unify and boost the national advertising of tourism within the US on a macroregional basis, both for domestic and foreign tourists.

A US tourist macroregion that proved really popular was the "Maritime Minors". As its name suggests, it consists of the five smaller states of New England to the south of Maine : Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island. (Maine itself forms another, self-contained tourist region, given its sheer size as a federal state.)

The iconography of the "Maritime Minors" Region Flag borrows from symbols and figures commonly seen on the seals and official flags of the five states it consists of : Vermont is represented by a green field (hinting at the name) and a golden pine and golden sheaves, New Hampshire is represented by a simplified combination of the traditional laurel wreath and sailship motif seen in the state's seal, Connecticut is represented by a single heraldic grapevine (instead of all three) and rococco ornaments from the shield of the state's coat of arms, Massachusetts is represented by a white pine on a green field (an inversion of its usual vexilogical depiction, in order to equally mirror the quarter field of Vermont), and the golden anchor at the centre of the flag represents both the state of Rhode Island and the maritime traditions of most of the states that form this particular tourist region.

Maritime Minors Tourism Region Flag.png

Does the USA here have to still be republican? and have the USA as its name (but mainly the first question)

After a much longer Alt-WWI, featuring much heavier American involvement, an even worse Alt-Great Depression occurs. The economic cataclysm causes political meltdown and the United States violently breaks into over half a dozen nations. One of them, comprising Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Michigan, is the Midwest Progressive Republic. The present flag, with white stars on a blue background evoking the old national flag representing the five constituent states, together with a cogwheel and wheat representing factory and farm workers, was first raised in the new capitol of Milwaukee in 1949.

A big thank you to xt828 for cleaning up the concept flag I sent to him.

Midwest Progressive Republic.png

Last edited:
BTW, I'm going through the WFC page on the wiki and correcting any minor errors or bad links that might have been left over in the list. Believe me, I've already found several and I'm working on remedying it. But it's still a rather impressive list, given all the old voting threads that need to be unearthed from previous years. :)

In the early 1990s, as part of the efforts at a more vexilogically-sound revamping of most of the state flags, the US federal government spearheaded the idea to create flags for their new "America of Regions" project. The project was created to rebrand, unify and boost the national advertising of tourism within the US on a macroregional basis, both for domestic and foreign tourists.

A US tourist macroregion that proved really popular was the "Maritime Minors". As its name suggests, it consists of the five smaller states of New England to the south of Maine : Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island. (Maine itself forms another, self-contained tourist region, given its sheer size as a federal state.)

The iconography of the "Maritime Minors" Region Flag borrows from symbols and figures commonly seen on the seals and official flags of the five states it consists of : Vermont is represented by a green field (hinting at the name) and a golden pine and golden sheaves, New Hampshire is represented by a simplified combination of the traditional laurel wreath and sailship motif seen in the state's seal, Connecticut is represented by a single heraldic grapevine (instead of all three) and rococco ornaments from the shield of the state's coat of arms, Massachusetts is represented by a white pine on a green field (an inversion of its usual vexilogical depiction, in order to equally mirror the quarter field of Vermont), and the golden anchor at the centre of the flag represents both the state of Rhode Island and the maritime traditions of most of the states that form this particular tourist region.

Ooh, nice use of green :)

After a much longer Alt-WWI, featuring much heavier American involvement, an even worse Alt-Great Depression occurs. The economic cataclysm causes political meltdown and the United States violently breaks into over half a dozen nations. One of them, comprising Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Michigan, is the Midwest Progressive Republic. The present flag, with white stars on a blue background evoking the old national flag representing the five constituent states, together with a cogwheel and wheat representing factory and farm workers, was first raised in the new capitol of Milwaukee in 1949.

A big thank you to xt828 for cleaning up the concept flag I sent to him.

Intriguing

BTW, I'm going through the WFC page on the wiki and correcting any minor errors or bad links that might have been left over in the list. Believe me, I've already found several and I'm working on remedying it. But it's still a rather impressive list, given all the old voting threads that need to be unearthed from previous years. :)

And we thank your tireless efforts on our behalf :cool: