沒有國民黨就沒有中國, Without the Kuomintang there would be no China, A Republic of China Story

One issue that would only continue to grow in importance was the environment. By this point China was the world’s biggest polluter. Smog was a common sight in many of China’s cities. Provincial governments made some attempts to curb pollution, but many Chinese thought their governments were not doing enough. The Green Party of China was founded in 2004, though it saw little success at the ballot. The national government would begin to consider taking serious action on the environment. The difficulty was finding the right balance. While most people wanted a cleaner environment, they also didn’t want to sacrifice China’s GDP growth. Environmentalism became a rallying cry for anti-Chinese sentiment in Mongolia as Chinese companies descended upon Mongolia to extract its natural resources.

th

(smog)
Well...I do wonder what is the percentages of electrical energy sources (perhaps there would be a proliferation of nuclear power plants perhaps) ITTL... as for emissions, perhaps there would be a agreement among the OEAC members both to limit their emission as a whole, and cooperate in the advancement in alternative energy and other technologies...

Can you share some info about economy/infrastructure/industrial megaprojects in ROC?
High-speed rail connects the major cities. I plan on going into more detail on this in the future.
Well...I do wonder what is the percentages of electrical energy sources (perhaps there would be a proliferation of nuclear power plants perhaps) ITTL... as for emissions, perhaps there would be a agreement among the OEAC members both to limit their emission as a whole, and cooperate in the advancement in alternative energy and other technologies...
There are some nuclear plants, but most energy comes from coal and oil now.

If you were to play March of the Volunteers in TTL's China, how would people react to you and the music you are playing? Would it still be seen as a patriotic song?

I wonder if Chinese gaming and animation is thriving much better in this world without such stringent censorship. Maybe C-Pop and C-dramas and donghua dominate the world instead of K-pop, K-dramas, and anime. An alternate MiHoyo ITTL would be interesting to explore too.

If you were to play March of the Volunteers in TTL's China, how would people react to you and the music you are playing? Would it still be seen as a patriotic song?
The song is being rehabilitated as a patriotic WWII song. There would definitely be some people who would see it as Communist, however.
I wonder if Chinese gaming and animation is thriving much better in this world without such stringent censorship. Maybe C-Pop and C-dramas and donghua dominate the world instead of K-pop, K-dramas, and anime. An alternate MiHoyo ITTL would be interesting to explore too.
That's for another update I need to write.

Chinese animation and music are popular in Asia, but haven't penetrated the West very much yet (there's still the occasional Chinese movie that's internationally successful).

The song is being rehabilitated as a patriotic WWII song. There would definitely be some people who would see it as Communist, however.

That's for another update I need to write.

Chinese animation and music are popular in Asia, but haven't penetrated the West very much yet (there's still the occasional Chinese movie that's internationally successful).
Nice. Looking forward to it.

Zhu Rongji: KMT legislator from Hunan
Wu Bangguo: KMT Governor of Guizhou
Jia Qinglin: CDSP legislator from Fujian.
Zhou Yongkang: Liberal Party former Legislator from Heilongjiang
While not!Xi Jinping is living in Albania and Deng's family is in Mongolia, where did other prominent CPC exiles and their descendants like those of Liu Shaoqi, Chen Yun, Zhou Enlai, and Bo Yibo end up settling and where are their descendants now?

Wasn't March of the Volunteers originally made for the 200th Division of the NRA?
If so, I'd imagine its communist history and usage to be EXPUNGED as much as possible - if there'll be any of sorts.

While not!Xi Jinping is living in Albania and Deng's family is in Mongolia, where did other prominent CPC exiles and their descendants like those of Liu Shaoqi, Chen Yun, Zhou Enlai, and Bo Yibo end up settling and where are their descendants now?
Zhou Enlai's family (Soviet Union) mostly chose to return.
The rest lived in Mongolia and about a third of their descendants have chosen to come back to China.
If it hasn't been already asked here, how are the disputes involving the Senkaku/Diaoyu islands with Japan going?
They're part of China, though Japan is still upset about this they won't do anything about it.
Wasn't March of the Volunteers originally made for the 200th Division of the NRA?
If so, I'd imagine its communist history and usage to be EXPUNGED as much as possible - if there'll be any of sorts.
Yes, but the writer was a Communist.

Yes, but the writer was a Communist.
It was originally made for a patriotic movie, not the 200th Division of the NRA, but yeah, I could see the situation vis-a-vis whether the anthem is "Communist" of not be similar to that regarding the South Vietnamense Anthem and how it was also made by a Communist.

In this TL, will there be a rise of anti-China sentiment in the 2010s and 2020s, once China has become a serious threat to Western dominance? I could see China gaining a upper-hand in the space sector, when the US fell back in space due to bureacracy and the decline of spending in space.

In this TL, will there be a rise of anti-China sentiment in the 2010s and 2020s, once China has become a serious threat to Western dominance? I could see China gaining a upper-hand in the space sector, when the US fell back in space due to bureacracy and the decline of spending in space.
There will be something that divides China and the US in the 2000s. It won't completely ruin Sino-American relations but it will cause a rift.

The Shanghai Subway Attack
From the 70s to the 90s, Uyghurs fought in Afghanistan against the Soviets and in internal conflicts after the Soviet withdrawal. This was part of Chen Lifu’s strategy of using Islam to break the Soviet Union and world Communism. Chen Lifu, Chiang Ching-kuo, and Wang Sheng hailed them as heroes (though Li Ao ignored them). At the beginning of the Soviet war in Afghanistan, part of Xinjiang was still ruled by a widely unrecognized Soviet puppet state of East Turkestan. Some of these fighters returned to East Turkestan to fight the Communist government. In 1987, East Turkestan was destroyed and Xinjiang was unified. Some of these fighters laid down their arms and became law-abiding citizens of China. Others decided to continue their struggle, now against China.

At first, most of the anti-China resistance in Xinjiang was pro-Communist or secular nationalist. Islamist resistance groups were much smaller. But by the late 90s the Communist groups operating in Xinjiang had almost entirely disappeared. In 1999, an intelligence report said that separatist violence of any variety in Xinjiang was a very minor threat, and that Tibet would probably be more dangerous than Xinjiang in the coming years. This changed when two Chinese policemen in Urumqi were killed in 2001. In 2002, Xinjiang independence activists protested in Nanking, Shanghai, and Hong Kong, cities where many foreigners and foreign media were present. The activists getting arrested hurt the image of China in the world. Human rights organizations, who had praised China’s progress, went back to criticizing China.

China had good relations with Saudi Arabia, but there was many in Saudi Arabia who resented China. For one, China had been stationing mostly non-Muslim Chinese soldiers (though China did make an effort to send Hui and Uyghur officers in disproportionate numbers to the Middle East). China also had good relations with Israel. One Saudi man who had once benefited from Chinese military aid had by the early 2000s come to loathe China. That man was Osama bin Laden. Bin Laden hated both China and the West, and wanted to strike against both of them. It was determined that China would be an easier target, and that a strike should be made against China first. Factoring in his decision was the hope that the Uyghurs in Xinjiang would rise up against the Chinese government.

th

(Osama bin Laden)

In July 2005, one Saudi and eleven Chinese nationals, trained in Afghanistan, carried out an attack in Shanghai. The militants bombed the city’s subway system, causing hundreds of casualties. After the bombings, the militants opened fire on fleeing survivors and police before being killed. At the same time militants in Xinjiang carried out coordinated attacks on the police, military, and civilians. They hoped to spark a province-wide revolution. But only a small number of Uyghurs joined in. Order was restored within a few days. When everything was done, over one thousand people had been killed. China was shaken. The world sent its condolences. The people of China wanted revenge.

Hmm, you said something divides the US and China, so I'm assuming we're not going to be supporting them in whatever retaliation they take because we're not the ones kicked into patriotic madness ITTL?