沒有國民黨就沒有中國, Without the Kuomintang there would be no China, A Republic of China Story

Well war is war, and oh boy does the war in Iraq consume so much of the world powers attention....
Kinda glad for it to returned...although the attention given to Iraq seems to be on the surface a bit perplexing...until I realized this is technicaly would be China first foreign military adventure that would be noticed by the Western world as their wake-up call...
The same one who became President of Taiwan IOTL?
Yes, though slightly different because he was born after the POD (he lives in Sichuan, not Taiwan).
Is Sichuan perhaps the location of a major military base for the...navy(?? unless you meant the air force), since from the Wikipedia page...it seems like ITTL he is likely to be a Hunan-born, considering his family background. Then again, ITTL, Sichuan (which include the majority of IOTL PRC Chongqing province) is one of the neighboring provinces of Hunan... so he could move to Sichuan away from his family and there's that...

Last edited:
Well war is war, and oh boy does the war in Iraq consume so much of the world powers attention....
Kinda glad for it to returned...although the attention given to Iraq seems to be on the surface a bit perplexing...until I realized this is technicaly would be China first foreign military adventure that would be noticed by the Western world as their wake-up call...
Yes, also this is the first major conflict of the 21st century.
Is Sichuan perhaps the location of a major military base for the...navy(?? unless you meant the air force), since from the Wikipedia page...it seems like ITTL he is likely to be a Hunan-born, considering his family background.
You're right, I misremembered.

OTL Republic of China (Taiwan) held a Presidential election on Saturday, this is where the candidates are TTL as of 2005:

The winner, William Lai, is a member of the Federal Party and is serving as a provincial legislator representing a district in Tainan, Taiwan.

Hou You-yi is currently a member of the China Youth Party (defected with several other KMT members in 1990), and is serving in the National Assembly representing a district in Taichung, Taiwan.

Ko Wen-je holds no elected office, and is currently a doctor in Taipei. He is a member of the Liberal Party and donated money to Li Ao's reelection campaign in 1996.

Terry Gou worked up the ranks of Minkuo Electronics and is now the CEO. He is a member of the KMT and lives in Shanghai (from Shanxi).

The most high-profile politician among those on the ballot is Hou You-yi's running mate Jaw Shaw-kang, who TTL is a member of the KMT and is serving in the Legislative Yuan representing a proportional representation seat from Hebei. He ran a failed campaign for mayor of Beiping in the 90s.

And their running mates, then?
Cynthia Wu is the only one living in Taiwan and the only one politically active besides Jaw Shaw-Kang, she's a China Youth Party member of Taiwan's Provincial legislature. Bi-khim Hsiao lives in America and Lai Pei-hsia was born because an American soldier was in Taiwan in the 60s, something that wouldn't happen TTL.

OTL Republic of China (Taiwan) held a Presidential election on Saturday, this is where the candidates are TTL as of 2005:

The winner, William Lai, is a member of the Federal Party and is serving as a provincial legislator representing a district in Tainan, Taiwan.

Hou You-yi is currently a member of the China Youth Party (defected with several other KMT members in 1990), and is serving in the National Assembly representing a district in Taichung, Taiwan.

Ko Wen-je holds no elected office, and is currently a doctor in Taipei. He is a member of the Liberal Party and donated money to Li Ao's reelection campaign in 1996.
Looking back at the candidates' family background...I just realized that all three of their family had already live in Taiwan since before the Civil War/POD...is this actually a statistical anomaly? (since I am pretty sure in the previous elections before this...there would be at least a major candidate that has a father/mother that has lived in the mainland and only went to Taiwan as a result of the PRC takeover...)
BTW, with Hou being in the CYP (along with possible other potentially prominent defector from the KMT), perhaps there have find a presidential candidate that could finally shed their old people image.....
Terry Gou worked up the ranks of Minkuo Electronics and is now the CEO. He is a member of the KMT and lives in Shanghai (from Shanxi).
That is actually a much more ominous foreshadowing than I thought....
(so as discussed before, perhaps there would be a possibility that some computer brands like Olivetti's ELEA and Wang are still operating, but the computers are at the very least (this is likely applied to ELEA) technically have some components that are manufactured by Minkuo, and at most, (Wang would probably get this fate) are outright currently owned by Minkuo (in a way similar to how Foxconn acquired Sharp IOTL).
TLDR: Perhaps Minkuo main business plan would be similar to how Foxconn business plan, which is to manufacture parts for other brands or outright owned it....
The most high-profile politician among those on the ballot is Hou You-yi's running mate Jaw Shaw-kang, who TTL is a member of the KMT and is serving in the Legislative Yuan representing a proportional representation seat from Hebei. He ran a failed campaign for mayor of Beiping in the 90s.
I think I need to keep in mind the map of ROC provinces (considering the rather large amount of changes the PRC made to the provinces border) as a way for me to fully grasp the actual current whereabouts of politicians....

P/s: Very out of topic here, but I just realized that the relationship between Olivetti and the IOTL current owner, Telecom Italia...it's a lot more complicated than I first thought....

Last edited:
Looking back at the candidates' family background...I just realized that all three of their family had already live in Taiwan since before the Civil War/POD...is this actually a statistical anomaly? (since I am pretty sure in the previous elections before this...there would be at least a major candidate that has a father/mother that has lived in the mainland and only went to Taiwan as a result of the PRC takeover...)
If Gou hadn't dropped out there would have been one candidate with a mainlander background. This is the first time all candidates had been born in Taiwan.
BTW, with Hou being in the CYP (along with possible other potentially prominent defector from the KMT), perhaps there have find a presidential candidate that could finally shed their old people image.....
Their name is pretty ironic at this point, since they are the second oldest party in China and they keep on nominating old people.
That is actually a much more ominous foreshadowing than I thought....
(so as discussed before, perhaps there would be a possibility that some computer brands like Olivetti's ELEA and Wang are still operating, but the computers are at the very least (this is likely applied to ELEA) technically have some components that are manufactured by Minkuo, and at most, (Wang would probably get this fate) are outright currently owned by Minkuo (in a way similar to how Foxconn acquired Sharp IOTL).
TLDR: Perhaps Minkuo main business plan would be similar to how Foxconn business plan, which is to manufacture parts for other brands or outright owned it....
I have a technology chapter planned, which will focus on electronics.
I think I need to keep in mind the map of ROC provinces (considering the rather large amount of changes the PRC made to the provinces border) as a way for me to fully grasp the actual current whereabouts of politicians....
It appears, from what I've been able to figure out, that the major cities in China were considered part of the provinces but also sort of weren't in some respects when it came to how the country functioned from 1945-1949. It's also not 100% clear that Hainan would have become a province. I made a few assumptions about the way the country would have functioned and ran with them.

Technology
The 20th century saw a remarkable rate of technological development, and the 21st century continued this trend. Electronics played an increasingly important role in both the global economy and in daily life. Computers went from taking up entire rooms to being portable within a relatively short period of time. America led the way in computer development, and was responsible for the creation of Globalnet, which would revolutionize the world in the 21st century. The first personal computers would appear in significant numbers in the United States in the 1970s. Europe and Japan soon followed. From the 1970s to the 1990s, there was a multi-continental race in computer research and production. Tech companies and those who knew technology would be greatly enriched.

International Business Machines, or IBM, dominated the market early on. But it had several European competitors. The British had ICT, International Computers and Tabulators. France had Leonord. West Germany had Siemens. All of these countries had other companies manufacturing computers but these were the biggest ones. Europe was well behind the US when it came to market share, but it still played an important role. Of the European companies, Italy’s Olivetti was the biggest. Olivetti’s computers were not only popular in Europe but also in Asia. Olivetti’s Mario Tchou was born in Italy to Chinese diplomats. During the 1970s, he helped design computers compatible with Chinese characters. These Olivetti computers were then distributed by Minkuo Electronics. Another overseas Chinese businessman in the computer industry was An Wang, who founded Wang Laboratories in America in 1951.

mario-tchou-3a07779d-b07b-452e-9925-8f124aec8a4-resize-750.jpeg

(Mario Tchou)

Minkuo saw the value of getting into the computer market. Computing in Chinese was significantly more difficult than computing in the Latin or Cyrillic alphabets. The Chinese language has tens of thousands of characters. Eve though the vast majority of them are rarely used, it was impossible to put all of the commonly-used characters on a keyboard. One creative work-around to this problem was to assign four-digit numerical codes to characters. Eventually, the Zhuyin keyboard was developed. A keyboard based on the Wade-Giles system was developed as well, but was considerably less popular. In the late 80s, Minkuo (at this point privatized) produced personal computers, but struggled against American and Japanese competitors. Their foray into PCs were mostly unsuccessful. Hitachi and Panasonic outcompeted Minkuo in the computer market even within China itself. Other Chinese companies would start to manufacture computers in the 1990s and Minkuo ceased production of PCs that decade.

By the 1990s, more and more people around the world were being connected to Globalnet. It was originally developed by the United States for military purposes. Several other countries had their own versions in the late Cold War. Eventually, Globalnet was used by civilians as well, starting with universities. China had developed Shihlien, its own online network for civilian purposes that also connected to Hong Kong, Malaysia, and Singapore. It lasted from 1989-1996. The Globalnet would be dominated by the United States for the next few decades. English would be the language of the Globalnet. Chinese websites would have domain names in the Latin alphabet. Domain names in China have .cn at the end.

In addition to making computers portable, phones were being made portable as well. In the 80s and 90s one could buy a cellphone, but it would be big. As the 90s gave way to the 2000s, cell phones became smaller. Eventually, “smart phones” were produced. These phones could connect to the Globalnet. People could communicate through text messages. While Chinese companies produced few cellphones during the 2000s, Minkuo produced many of the parts used by Japanese and Korean companies. This was a result of Samuel Gou's [1] efforts as CEO (he took over the company after Louis Kung’s retirement in 1992). These parts were also used in portable music players made by the United States. Minkuo was proving that even without government support, it could still be a major player in the world of electronics.

1: Terry Gou. His TTL name is Guo Shengming instead of Guo Taiming as the "Tai" in his OTL name was given because he was the first in his family to be born in Taiwan.

Might as well ask, but is Russia-Belarus by any chance inspired by how Serbia and Montenegro had a truncated Federal Republic of Yugoslavia going from 1992 until 2006 (even though it dropped the "pretending to be Yugoslavia" bit in 2003 and was simply a "State Union of Serbia and Montenegro" until it broke up).

Might as well ask, but is Russia-Belarus by any chance inspired by how Serbia and Montenegro had a truncated Federal Republic of Yugoslavia going from 1992 until 2006 (even though it dropped the "pretending to be Yugoslavia" bit in 2003 and was simply a "State Union of Serbia and Montenegro" until it broke up).
No, I just wanted post-Soviet Russia to be a little bit bigger.