¡Por la Patria, Viva México Fuerte! A Mexican TL

That was freaking good Arkhangelsk! Its actually good/refreshing to see Mexico doesn't have it that smooth to go. There are a few things that still need fixing for Mexico to actually work in the long run.

For starters it does need a different constitution (or heavily update/amend the one it started with) and some internal reorganization to achieve true democracy. From what I can tell Mexico is still being run by cuadillo-governors, likely appointed by the President/Congress instead of being elected (as it was early in OTL).

Excellent choice in Paredes being the one to frak shit up, as he did in OTL at the start of the Mexican-American War. From the timeline I assume Mexico will be going through these troubles roughly at the same time the US enters its Civil War.

One thing that worries me is that Mexico's political alignment is set up for it to essentially be ruled by two political-dynasties the Allende (within the Federalistas) and Iturbide (for the centralistas/conservadores). You've already mentioned quite a bit of Allende's son and grandson's military careers and they'll likely pursue a political career afterwards. So a future Allende III presidency is not out of the question and neither would a Salvador/Agustin Iturbide since the family probably enjoyed quite a bit of nepotism during the Iturbidato.

Anyways keep it up!

Thanks so much jycee! I was thinking pretty much the same, the current political set-up isn't sustainable for Mexico to properly reform and rise to its potential. What's going on in this TL is basically less destructive Reform War.

Amending of the constitution is definitely in the cards once all's said and done. You're also correct on the caudillo-governors running things, that's definitely gonna be an issue the government deals with post-rebellion if they want Mexico to democratize. ;)

Thanks! I thought Paredes was a logical choice, he manages to fuck shit up like in OTL but not be the total mess Santa Anna was. I'll expand on the ACW when I update on the United States, but you're definitely right, that conflict is only a few months away in the TL, to say nothing of the fighting occurring in the western territories (I'll tease this much, it's gonna be worse than Bleeding Kansas). Needless to say, Washington has its hands full to be any real threat.

The set-up for those political dynasties is something to keep an eye on, both those families are pretty popular, it's very possible for any one of these younger Allende's and Iturbide's to become president in the future. It probably on't be an issue the government tackles til later in the century, but even now the Liberals will probably pass anti-nepotism laws once they get the chance, considering recent events.

Part II: The Liberal Revolution, 1856
In light of the stir I seemed to have caused with my previous update, I resolved to get the next update done as soon as I could. :eek: Apologies if it seems weird, it's 2am here and I'm sleepy as fuck.

Part: II
1856: The Liberal Revolution

znV6tQJ.jpg

Rise of the Liberals

In hindsight it seems obvious President Paredes would pull such a move as suspending constitutional rule. His ultraconservative policies catered to the few richest in the whole country, mostly hacienda owners in and around the Valley of Mexico, as well as the Bajío, as well as a few high ranking members of the Roman Catholic Church. The Church in particular was very influential early in Paredes’ term, aiding in overturning some of the laws promulgated in previous decades which attempted to rectify Title I Article 3 of the 1817 Constitution (the “state religion” clause which made Roman Catholicism the official religion of the land). The worst of these reversals was the closure of various universities and colleges across the country, including the University of Mexico in the capital (formerly the Royal and Pontifical University of Mexico until 1817).

For Mexican Liberals, it was a grievous offense. The schools, most of which opened in the aftermath of independence, afforded many new generation Liberals with an education they otherwise would not have been able to attain, and in many cases facilitated there rise to power. For this reason some Liberals refused to comply with the President’s orders, such as Governor of Oaxaca Benito Juarez. No friend of the conservatives, Juarez disregarded the edicts from Mexico City and defiantly kept the Oaxacan Institute of Arts and Sciences open. Over the course of 1855, more governors began to defy Mexico City in similar comportments, provoking the Federal government to utilize force in order to execute Paredes’ commands.

Immediately following the suspension of the Constitution and Paredes’ assumption of extraordinary powers, two regiments were ordered to march, one north toward the Rio Bravo basin, and the other south towards Oaxaca. As soon as news of this reached Congress, a young Liberal diputado by the name of Francisco Zarco, in a very Allendesque feat, rode on horseback for one day and night to Chilpancingo, where he awoke a sleeping General Álvarez and informed him that the time to act had come.[1] As if history was repeating itself again, Álvarez issued his famous (and appropriately styled) Grito de Chilpancingo from the front steps of the Catedral de Santa María de la Asunción, declaring to the city’s denizens to join him and fight against the “mal gobierno” of Mariano Paredes.

Throngs of people answered General Álvarez's famous "Grito de Chilpancingo"

Over the following days, as news radiated of events in Chilpancingo, men from neighboring districts began to arrive to the southern city, heeding the call to arms issued by Álvarez. The “Chinaco Regiment” as it came to be called, forced the Federal regiment intent for Oaxaca into combat at the Battle of Zapotitlan in the Oaxacan Mixteca, fighting them to a draw. At this point Álvarez marched south to Nochixtlán, north of the state capital, where he met up with Oaxacan National Guards loyal to Juarez. From Nochixtlán this “Army of the South” moved north, fighting Federal troops once more at the Battle of Huajuapan near the border with Puebla, this time to victory.

Meanwhile in the north, Liberal agitation flared out into open rebellion. In early March the Governors of Coahuila, Nuevo León, Tamaulipas and Tejas met in Laredo, where they discussed among other things, the prospect of ousting Paredes from the presidency and the restoration of the 1817 Constitution. These declarations, styled as the Plan de Laredo, were followed by the mobilization of the Rio Bravo states’ respective militias, headed by the governors of Nuevo León and Tejas, Santiago Vadaurri and José María Jesús Carbajal respectively.

The Northern Liberals fight Centralist forces at the Battle of Matehuala in San Luis Potosí

The combined might of the northern Liberals proved too much for the Federal troops sent by Paredes, as the ensuing fights that April proved to be anything but a contest. Combined with Comanche victories in Coahuila, by June much of the north was lost to the Centralists. Skillful politicking between Carbajal and the principal chiefs of the Comanche allowed for the formation of an alliance between them and the Liberals. With Centralist forces in disarray, the Liberal’s eyes were set on Mexico City.

Back in the south, Álvarez pursued Federal troops as far as Ayutla, southeast of Cuautla, where Centralist forces inflicted the only major loss to the Liberals. Bruised but not beaten, Álvarez regrouped to the southwest at Iguala, where other leading Liberals in the region had gathered to pronounce a declaration of their own. The Plan de Iguala called for the reinstitution of the constitution and Paredes’ immediate resignation. This declaration went a step farther than the Plan de Laredo, calling for new elections and the drafting of amendments to the 1817 Constitution. The Plan was immediately endorsed by a rump Congress, which had formed from congressmen fleeing the capital north to Querétaro.

A frantic Paredes ordered Federal soldiers under the command of General Félix Zuloaga to prepare for the defense of the capital. Zuloaga established two lines of defense, one at Cuautitlán at the north end of the Valley, and another at Coyoacán south of Mexico City. Another force of about 1,000 soldiers marched north to capture Querétaro. Lacking adequate defenses, Congress prepared to evacuate once more, but the timely arrival of the northern Liberals and their Comanche allies pushed the Centralists back at the Battle of Piramide southwest of Querétaro, so named for the battle’s proximity to a nearby Toltec pyramid.

General Yañez deals a crushing defeat to the Centralists at the Battle of Calpulalpan, west of Tula

By September 1856 the Centralists had been reduced to a perimeter roughly corresponding to northern México state. The northern Liberals, now joined by a Jalisco militia headed by General José María Yañez, crushed the Centralists west of Tula, and marched unopposed to Mexico City. For their trouble, the Chinacos secured Cuernavaca without firing a shot, the centralist garrison there opting instead to make a last stand near the capital. All the while President Paredes, fearing for his life, made preparations to leave the capital and continue the fight elsewhere.

With the prospect of bloodshed within the capital eminent, a retinue of men led by President of the Supreme Court José Joaquín de Herrera moved to arrest Paredes and depose him, but an advanced warning by one of his few supporters allowed the President to escape. Hours later, the northern Liberals entered the city unopposed. Herrera, now acting-President (Paredes’ vice-President having died two years prior due to tuberculosis) immediately reinstated the Constitution and declared his support for the Plan de Iguala.[2] Despite all this, Zuloaga managed to put up a stiff defense against Álvarez at the Battle of Iztapalapa, but news of Paredes’ unceremonious departure extinguished much of the Centralists will to fight. Rather than surrender, Zuloaga and approximately one third of his troops retreated, aiming to unite with Paredes and continue the fight. The remaining Centralists surrendered to Álvarez, and on September 12 the southern Liberals entered a jubilant Mexico City.

Governor Juarez is flanked by other leading Liberals in Mexico City

With the Liberals military triumph, peace once again returned to Mexico. Needless to say the Independence Day celebrations of 1856 were unlike any beforehand, with the festivities raging through to the end of September. As for Paredes, his attempts to flee the country were foiled when Liberal sympathizers identified him in Veracruz and apprehended him in early October. Their leader now in Liberal custody, Zuloaga and his remaining troops finally surrendered east of Pachuca later that month. The War of 1856, popularly styled as the Liberal Revolution, had finally come to a close.

Peace came at a most opportune time, as the presidential elections were scheduled for that October. Acting-President Herrera chose not to run for president, which made the 1856 elections a contest between the various Liberal leaders. After several rounds of voting by the now-reinstated Congress, General Juan Álvarez received a majority of votes over his primary challenger, Governor Santiago Vadaurri. President-elect Álvarez stayed true to his word, and immediately called on the Congress to begin work on amending “key articles” within the constitution. By the time Álvarez was inaugurated in April 1857, the congressional commission assigned to review the new amendments informed the new President that the number of problems with the old constitution was just too great, and that it would be more prudent to draft a new one. After repeated rebellions, invasions, and what had amounted essentially to a civil war, Mexico was about to enter a new era in its history—one defined by order and progress.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes:

[1] I use the term Allendesque because Ignacio Allende also rode through the night from Querétaro to Dolores at the start of the War for Independence to warn Father Hidalgo. Álvarez is also utilizing the appeal of the "grito myth" to attract popular support, a tactic that proves to be successful.

[2] Both in OTL and TTL, Mexican Presidential succession placed the President of the Supreme Court second in line behind the VP. Here the VP slot was vacant, so when Paredes flees the capital, Herrera "lawfully" is next to assume the Presidency.

Last edited:
Great couple of updates! It makes sense the Paredes wouldn't last long. Despite the flaws and authoritarian tendencies in the government of TTL's Mexico the opposition was more organized and entrenched, along with the national conscious possessing a greater sense of equating republicanism with prosperity.

Juerez being the champion of the people he is, the Grito de Chilpancingo, and the Comanche joining in were pure awesome sauce too, amigo.:cool:

Awesome follow up Arkhangelsk! I expect to see some fuss raising up, once Congress announces they will draft a new constitution. At the very least a small conservative-counter revolution ala Cristero War that doesn't amount to much. Ultimately it is good to see a Mexico that can figure stuff out, admittedly I went in a much more dramatic direction in my TL.

I'm looking forward to see how the caudillo and political-dynasty problem (that is if it is considered a problem) will be solved. It can be done de jure relatively easy by passing laws but I reckon most states will remain cuadillo domains de facto for quite a while.

And as far as nepotism goes, the damage has been done, I think. No amount of anti nepotism laws will erase the fact that the Allende and Iturbide families are descendants of the "fathers" of independence, but also early influential Presidents, party founders, post-Independence war heroes, and rich caudillos. It is an interesting set up, but I think down the line it will be up to their own political parties to abandon nominating family members to avoid bad rep.

Keep it up man!

Any plans for Porfirio Diaz and the cietificos? Just as a suggestion, keep Diaz out of central politics in TTL; I think he would work brilliantly as one of the great industrialists in TTL.

Deleted member 67076

And now comes the vital period of reform and growth.

I do wonder if Mexico can make up for its smaller population with a better immigration policy; if not from Europe then from the Ottoman Empire (an absurd amount of Lebanese and Arab Christians went to Latin America IOTL, mostly around Colombia. Perhaps Mexico can take some of them instead?) or Asia. Heaven knows there many Chinese willing to take the journey across the ocean.

Great couple of updates! It makes sense the Paredes wouldn't last long. Despite the flaws and authoritarian tendencies in the government of TTL's Mexico the opposition was more organized and entrenched, along with the national conscious possessing a greater sense of equating republicanism with prosperity.

Juerez being the champion of the people he is, the Grito de Chilpancingo, and the Comanche joining in were pure awesome sauce too, amigo.:cool:

Exactly! :) Unlike OTL Mexico got off to a relatively great start. By the time Paredes came to power Mexicans have known political stability is a good thing, and they won't let someone like Paredes take that away so easily. Despite Mexico's troubles, it's had constitutional government for four decades (45 years if you wanna count Spain's in 1812). Paredes suspension of the constitution really did it in for him, even some conservatives were turned off by his actions.

Hehe thanks amiga! :) I enjoyed writing those tidbits. Especially for the Comanche, they'll be given a voice in shaping Mexico's future, now that they're in Mexico City while a new constitution is being drafted.

Awesome follow up Arkhangelsk! I expect to see some fuss raising up, once Congress announces they will draft a new constitution. At the very least a small conservative-counter revolution ala Cristero War that doesn't amount to much. Ultimately it is good to see a Mexico that can figure stuff out, admittedly I went in a much more dramatic direction in my TL.

I'm looking forward to see how the caudillo and political-dynasty problem (that is if it is considered a problem) will be solved. It can be done de jure relatively easy by passing laws but I reckon most states will remain cuadillo domains de facto for quite a while.

And as far as nepotism goes, the damage has been done, I think. No amount of anti nepotism laws will erase the fact that the Allende and Iturbide families are descendants of the "fathers" of independence, but also early influential Presidents, party founders, post-Independence war heroes, and rich caudillos. It is an interesting set up, but I think down the line it will be up to their own political parties to abandon nominating family members to avoid bad rep.

Keep it up man!

Any plans for Porfirio Diaz and the cietificos? Just as a suggestion, keep Diaz out of central politics in TTL; I think he would work brilliantly as one of the great industrialists in TTL.

Thanks man! Yep, the Plan de Laredo only went as far as restoring the old constitution, and certain governors aren't too keen to relinquish their powers just like that, so their will be some push back when news leaks of a new constitution. You're TL certainly helped in inspiring me to finish up these updates ;) always looking forward to more of A "Mexican" Victory. :)

Indeed, now that the Liberals are in power making new laws will be pretty easy, but them becoming de facto as well as de jure will take a little bit more time, especially once the caudillo-governor problem is dealt with. I think you're right as well on the whole nepotism thing. If an Allende or Iturbide is too popular to make those laws worth anything, of course if one of them manages to become president and then fuck shit up somehow, it might work. Indeed, the parties just not nominating them would also work.

As for Diaz, I definitely plan to keep him away from the Presidency. I hadn't given him moch thought beyond that however, and I love your idea of him becoming an industrialist TTL. I suppose with Santa Anna I've already started a trend of giving people in Mexican history with bad rep some good instead, lol :p

And now comes the vital period of reform and growth.

I do wonder if Mexico can make up for its smaller population with a better immigration policy; if not from Europe then from the Ottoman Empire (an absurd amount of Lebanese and Arab Christians went to Latin America IOTL, mostly around Colombia. Perhaps Mexico can take some of them instead?) or Asia. Heaven knows there many Chinese willing to take the journey across the ocean.

That's the plan hehe ;) I love the idea of Arab Christians coming over from the Ottoman Empire, and there will definitely be a large upswing in immigration from Asia (mostly Chinese, as well as quite a few Japanese and Filipinos). There will also be some Irish, Italians and German Catholics making their way to Tampico and Veracruz, once things up north go to shit.

Once the Liberals enact more of their reforms, Mexico's own population should begin to rise by natural population growth. It will take some time of course, but I think it's possible for Mexico's population to double by the end of the century or thereabouts.

Just a friendly bump, the next update is almost done. I should have it up later today, hopefully no later than tonight.

Oh America...so far from god ;)

Just a friendly bump, the next update is almost done. I should have it up later today, hopefully no later than tonight.

Oh America...so far from god ;)

Very much looking foward to it. Keep it up Akhangelsk!!!

...and so close to an überwanked Mexico.

Hahaha true. Though to be honest in TTL, America has brought most of its misfortunes upon itself. But now that we know Mexican generals will be filibustering their way to fame and glory... I'm not sure what is in store after the Santa Anna's grab for Deseret.

Discord and Disunion: 1849-1857
Okay it took me a little longer than I thought but as I said, here's the new update. Hope you guys enjoy!

Discord and Disunion: 1849-1857

XaM6zuf.jpg

Prelude to war and death—Kansas

While Mexico suffered greatly during the course of the “American invasion,” the United States only began to experience its own discord in the days and months following the resumption of peace in 1849. President Polk’s failure to take Tejas and Alta California from Mexico cost his party dearly at the polls. The Whig candidate, Speaker of the House Robert Charles Winthrop, handily beat Democrat Lewis Cass, as well as former president Martin Van Buren, who ran under the banner of the Free Soil Party. The stress he undertook during the course of his single term seemingly took its toll on Polk, exacerbated by the blame heaped upon him by many Americans for the nation’s loss. Upon his return to his native Tennessee in June 1849, he abruptly contracted illness and died.

Upon assuming his presidential duties, Robert Winthrop faced a nation with a near empty treasury. The Mexican-American War had cost tens of millions of dollars, effectively forcing the U.S. economy into default. The “Third” Bank of the United States made extreme overtures to remain solvent, defaulting on many loans made during the 1840’s, only to become the object of pure loathing by the general populace.[1] Rioters in Boston, New York City and Baltimore all chanted one thing, “death to the Bank!” and they were not too keen to wait for the Bank’s charter to expire in 1861.

The Panic of 1850, as the U.S.’s economic woes came to be called, only served to stoke the fires of sectional violence erupting all over the western frontier. The South, nearly devoid of land to expand its “peculiar institution” further west, began calling for the overturning of the Missouri Compromise and the allowance of future territories to decide for themselves whether they desired to enter the union free or slave. Northerners flatly refused to allow slavery to expand northward. Attempts by Congress to compromise the glaring divide between North and South made little headway, with debates becoming protracted quagmires in Congress. By 1852 the violence out west had become an all-out war in all but name.

At the core of the violence was the territory of Kansas, whose settler population neared the majority needed for admission into the Union. Hoping to bypass the constraints of the 1820 Compromise by popular sovereignty, new settlers began to flood into the territory from neighboring Missouri and other southern states, threatening Northerners at musket-point that Kansas would be slave territory no matter what. Undeterred by these threats, “Free Soilers” from New England and the Midwest trekked into Kansas Territory as well with the hopes of beating the slavers at their own game and ensuring slavery remained south of the Compromise line. When territorial elections were scheduled, Pro-slavery militants threatened violence if Free Soilers ran for office. For their part many Free Soilers refused to back down in the face of these threats, and before long bands of armed men on both sides began attacking settlements all over the territory.

hmmZsZx.jpg

"Kansas Democracy"

Amid all the nation’s troubles, it came to no surprise that the Democrats edged out Winthrop and the Whigs in November 1852, with former Kentucky Congressman and Mexican-American War veteran William Butler becoming the 12th President of the United States. To the nation’s dismay, Butler proved to be more inept at dealing with the country’s multiple crises than Winthrop was. To Butler’s credit, forces beyond his power to control were about to be unleashed on the United States. The chaos unwinding out west was suddenly compounded by a new element: the Comanche along the frontier with Mexico.

The Comanche had their own motivations for raiding into American territory, ranging from a need to preserve their traditional economy, to seeking justice against American settlers treading onto their lands.[2] Mexico City’s own Comanche envoy in Bexar also made strides to incentivize Comanche encroachments into American territory, “better that the indios range northward rather than into Mexican territory.” Regardless, in the spring of 1853 numerous bands of Comanche raiding parties ventured east, attacking deep into Texas, even venturing as far as Arkansas and the western bank of the Mississippi.

The Comanche raids caused thousands of Americans to flee the bedlam which beset the southwest, most crossing the Mississippi to the general safety of the Deep South. The sudden influx of refugees strained the region’s economy, and by extension its already tenuous relationship with the North. In September, the Governor of Georgia George Towns issued what came to be called the Georgia Platform. It amounted to an ultimatum, stating that the South only sought to preserve the Union at all costs, but further injury on behalf of the Northern states would risk secession. The Deep South rallied behind Georgia, and those Southern politicians who did not were swept away in the elections of 1854.[3]

In the autumn of 1849 political disturbances all across Europe ignited a continent-wide war which resulted in thousands of war refugees, often times liberals, emigrating to the western hemisphere. Roman Catholics from southern and western Europe began arriving at ports spanning the Atlantic Seaboard in the hopes of finding the freedom that was very much absent in their native land. To their dismay, they were oftentimes met by angry mobs who wanted nothing more than for these immigrants to return to Europe.

8tIPgmI.jpg

"Citizen Know Nothing: the ideal American"

At the core of these disturbances lay the Know Nothings (ironically a group that referred to themselves as the Native American Party), a movement lead by white Protestant Americans who viewed all Catholic immigrants with utter contempt. The movement, originating in the early 1840’s in light of increased Catholic immigration to the United States, argued that Catholicism was incompatible with “American republicanism.” The Nativist movement grew rapidly in the aftermath of the Mexican-American War, as all Catholics (regardless of their place of origin) carried the blame for the United States’ loss. The Nativists were very swift to blame the nation’s economic woes on the Catholics as well, which resulted in mass rioting in numerous American cities.

By the mid 1850’s, the situation in the United States had become so unbearable for many Catholics that many decided it was best to emigrate elsewhere. Some ventured north into British North America, while more trekked south into Mexico. Under the leadership of Captain Juan O’Reilly and other veterans from Mexico’s famed Batallón de San Patricio, Catholic immigrants were settled throughout northern Mexico.[4] President Paredes, in a rare display of good judgment, fully endorsed the settlement of “loyal Catholics” throughout the north, all too eager to exploit the human capital the Americans were blindly throwing away. Before long the flow of immigration from the Old World found the ports of Gutierrez, Tampico and Veracruz more welcoming than their counterparts in New York and Baltimore. Scattering throughout the vast Mexican Republic, most immigrants found the temperate climate of Alta California and Sacramento Territory too tempting to pass up.

CeMjVg0.jpg

Democratic Senator from Illinois, Stephen Douglas

Back in Washington, the American government feverishly tried to bring an end to the bloodshed in Kansas, but that proved to be easier said than done. The halls of Congress eerily began to mirror the fighting occurring in the territories, with fist fights breaking out between Northern and Southern congressmen. In an attempt to tread a middle path, Democratic Senator Stephen Douglas introduced a bill in early 1854 that would effectively repeal the Missouri Compromise and allow the territories to decide for themselves what kind of state they would like to be—free or slave. While the northernmost territories of Minnesota and Nebraska (created by the remnant left behind by the creation of Kansas Territory) were unquestionably set to enter the Union as free states, the situation in Kansas stoked fears throughout the North (and hopes in the South) that slavery would jump the Compromise line and extend into what had previously been free territory.

Despite the strong opposition set forth by Northern Senators William Seward, Salmon P. Chase and Charles Sumner, the bill passed the Senate in March, and moved for a vote in the House of Representatives. Proceedings in the House proved to be just as sluggish, if not more toxic. Nevertheless, with the Democrats in control of the House, it was only a matter of time before the bill passed, acquiring the votes needed in late May. Northerners balked at what they deemed “Southern avarice,” while Southerners saw it as simple justice.

Over the course of the following months slavers attempted to create a pro-slavery government based in Lecompton, drafting a new constitution and putting it to vote in November. The elections (if one can call them that) were rigged so as to ensure there would be no abolitionist interference. Slaver militants even tried to derail a rival anti-slavery government from drafting their own constitution in nearby Topeka, going so far as attacking the homes of key draftees and destroying the nascent document.

When word of these events (as well as the Lecompton Constitution) reached President Butler, he vehemently decried the actions of the Lecompton government, with Congress rejecting the pro-slavery constitution. Butler, in fear that choosing a side in the conflict could further divide the nation, also rejected the anti-slavery constitution from Topeka. His decision was made somewhat easier by the fact that the free-soilers, seeking blood for blood, had attacked Lecompton and other pro-slavery settlements throughout eastern Kansas in early 1855. The damage was done however, and Butler’s non-partisan overtures only served to inflame many in the South, who viewed his refusal to recognize the Lecompton constitution as irrefutable proof that the North and the Federal government conspired to abolish slavery and destroy everything the South held dear.

The upheavals of the previous couple of years had taken a toll on the United States’ political establishment, as both the Whigs and Democrats became divided along regional grounds. As the presidential elections of 1856 neared, old political parties were reborn while new ones rose from the ashes. The anti-slavery movement in the North had gained considerable steam since the early 1850’s, with many Whigs renouncing their own party and coalescing with free-soilers, anti-slavery Democrats and other like-minded men to form the Republican Party in 1854. By 1856 they had become the most prominent political force north of the Mason-Dixon Line, displacing many Northern Democrats and Nativists alike. At the first Republican National Convention in Philadelphia, three men were considered to carry the party’s banner to Election Day: William Seward, Salmon P. Chase, and John Charles Frémont.

In spite of his radicalism, there were many in the North who supported General Frémont’s bid for the nomination. Others in the party, whether they liked the man or not, felt the election would be lost to them under Frémont, and so opted between Chase and Seward, eventually choosing the latter. Frémont felt snubbed by the party’s refusal to nominate him, but he did not contend the issue further in order to keep the new party unified and allow it a chance to succeed.

The Democrats, despite their loss of power in the Northern states, nominated Stephen Douglas at their own convention in Cincinnati, and despite overtures to nominate a Southerner for vice-President, the party settled on Pennsylvanian James Buchanan. It was a move that injured the Democrats’ national prospects, as many Southern Democrats renounced support for Douglas and held their own convention in Atlanta. Spurred on by notable fire-eaters such as William Lowndes Yancey and Robert Barnwell Rhett, who called for “extreme measures” if the Republicans won, the Southern Democrats settled on Georgia Senator Robert Toombs as their nominee.

The Presidential campaign was dominated by the issue of slavery. The Republicans were in favor of abolition anyway they could get it, while the Southern Democrats continued to call for its expansion into the territories. All the while the rump Democrats dithered between the status quo and eventual manumission, attracting little support. Soon enough Election day arrived, with Seward carrying New England and his home state of New York, as well as Iowa, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and the old Northwest minus Illinois. Much to their astonishment and dismay, Douglas only managed to carry his home state of Illinois, as well as Missouri, Kentucky, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, North Carolina and Louisiana. The rest of the South went to Toombs and the Southern Democrats.

Wb8zl6S.png

13th President of the United States, William Henry Seward

With 161 electoral votes, William Seward was elected as the 13th President of the United States. As news of Seward’s victory filtered south, Southerners from Virginia to Texas felt it was the last straw. In late December the South Carolina legislature passed an ordinance on secession, with the rest of the Deep South following suit over the course of January 1857. In late February Southern delegates met in Montgomery, Alabama, where they discussed uniting behind Robert Toombs as legitimate President and initiate measures to prepare against the Federal government’s response. Texas, Arkansas and Tennessee followed several weeks later with their own secession ordinances, with the six remaining slave states being the only ones left in the Union by Seward’s inauguration. Civil war was all but certain, now it was only a matter of which side would land the first strike.

United States Presidential Election, 1856

tGostGK.png

Senator William Henry Seward (R-NY) / Charles Francis Adams, Sr. (R-MA): 161 EV
Senator Stephen Arnold Douglas (D-Il) / James Buchanan, Jr. (D-PA): 74 EV
Senator Robert Augustus Toombs (SD-GA) / Representative Alexander Hamilton Stevens (SD-GA): 54 EV

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes:

[1] Remember, Jackson never lived to become president, so he never killed the Second Bank. Despite Van Buren's best efforts the Whigs rechartered it for a third time in 1841.
[2] Basically inversed what happened to Mexico in OTL. In the aftermath of the Mexican-American War the Mexicans continue their tribute payments to the Comanche and try to be super nice to them (until Paredes fucks it all up). The Comanche have to do their thing, and they see the proverbial vultures flying over the US.
[3] Remains more or less true to OTL, but with everything going on in this timeline Southerners are less hesitant to opt for secession.
[4] Yup, that's the same John Riley. Naturally he isn't executed by the Americans since he chose the winning side.

Well, well, well - another great update, Arkhangelsk. It would be interesting to also see how the Catholic immigrants to BNA are treated, considering there's Lower Canada right there. (This also leaves open the question of whether the Orange Order is active there, but that's besides the point.) Considering how in OTL the Irish immigrants integrated with the existing French-Canadian community very well (to the point where there are native French speakers in Quebec who have Irish surnames!), it would be just as interesting to see other Catholic immigrants go down the same route, at least in Lower Canada and maybe even parts of the Maritimes. Also, would the coming civil war provide the grounds for Cuba and the *Pacific Northwest to leave the US completely?

I can't tell, is Virginia seceding TTL or not?

I, for one, would find it interesting if it didn't secede, but that's me.

Seems like there's going to be a civil war, but the battle lines are much more blurred and other parties are hesitant to join in, that is if I'm reading this right.:p

Like Dan1988 said, that would be tight if the PNW left the Union too, to see how that would play out, but if that's not in the cards don't worry Arkhangelsk. Pretty sure it's a given Cuba is going to bug out, though.

I'd enjoy it if SEVERAL Southern states stayed loyal to the Union, Virginia included. But considering this seems both a Mexico-wank and a US-screw, I'm betting on more or less the same CSA-esque country to emerge, if not bigger.

I can't tell, is Virginia seceding TTL or not?

Virginia hasn't seceded as of the last update, but I will say the secessions haven't ended yet.

Well, well, well - another great update, Arkhangelsk. It would be interesting to also see how the Catholic immigrants to BNA are treated, considering there's Lower Canada right there. (This also leaves open the question of whether the Orange Order is active there, but that's besides the point.) Considering how in OTL the Irish immigrants integrated with the existing French-Canadian community very well (to the point where there are native French speakers in Quebec who have Irish surnames!), it would be just as interesting to see other Catholic immigrants go down the same route, at least in Lower Canada and maybe even parts of the Maritimes. Also, would the coming civil war provide the grounds for Cuba and the *Pacific Northwest to leave the US completely?

Thanks Dan! I didn't know about how well the Irish integrated in Quebec, but that's definitely something to look forward to TTL. I'll expand on it all in much more depth in a future update on Canada. As for Cuba and the PNW, most certainly ;) It's only been a decade since the massive revolt in Cuba, and Oregon has more autonomy TTL as it is.

Seems like there's going to be a civil war, but the battle lines are much more blurred and other parties are hesitant to join in, that is if I'm reading this right.:p

Like Dan1988 said, that would be tight if the PNW left the Union too, to see how that would play out, but if that's not in the cards don't worry Arkhangelsk. Pretty sure it's a given Cuba is going to bug out, though.

Hesitant for now ;) The remaining slave states are on the fence, and are just waiting to see how the new administration handles the crisis. Independence for both Oregon and Cuba is in the cards, the particulars are still in the air but rest assured this ACW will be more spread out.

I'd enjoy it if SEVERAL Southern states stayed loyal to the Union, Virginia included. But considering this seems both a Mexico-wank and a US-screw, I'm betting on more or less the same CSA-esque country to emerge, if not bigger.

I'm afraid to say you're correct and this CSA (or whatever I decide to call it) will be bigger than OTL. I do agree though, the idea of Virginia or other southern states remaining loyal in a similar conflict sounds interesting. I remember visiting Virginia a few years ago, I found it quite beautiful. :)

TTL US civil war might be shorter, if the number of seceding states doesn't increase.

Indeed my good sir, unfortunately as I've already implied the secessions haven't ended.