¡Por la Patria, Viva México Fuerte! A Mexican TL

And in the day I come back, I get treated to a new chapter and the United States ripping itself apart from the seams, and this time around it won't come stronger out of it. And it also seems that we're bound to have either the U.S. separating on a bloodier civil war or the ACW flipping sides, with the northern states being the ones who make the first shot and splitting off first.

Which would make up for an awesome new geographical set-up for the North American continent. Or even Mexico daring to later on go expansionist on the now weakened United States and take Oregon out of them.

Forgot about your comments prior to posting the latest update, sorry guys! :eek:

Very much looking foward to it. Keep it up Akhangelsk!!!

Hahaha true. Though to be honest in TTL, America has brought most of its misfortunes upon itself. But now that we know Mexican generals will be filibustering their way to fame and glory... I'm not sure what is in store after the Santa Anna's grab for Deseret.

American Texas is pretty out of bounds for Mexico, by now it's been thoroughly Americanized, so it'd be something the Mexicans would rather avoid entangling themselves in. The fringes of the American empire (Oregon and Cuba) on the other hand may become ripe targets for your opportunistic Mexican filibustero. ;)

This means that the Permian Basin is likely going to be in Mexico:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permian_Basin_(North_America).

If that's the case, come the 1910s or 1920s TTL, there will be an oil boom...in Mexico.

That's interesting.

Waiting for the next update, of course.

Thanks for the info on the Permian Basin Unknown! It's giving me some pretty cool ideas. :cool:

And in the day I come back, I get treated to a new chapter and the United States ripping itself apart from the seams, and this time around it won't come stronger out of it. And it also seems that we're bound to have either the U.S. separating on a bloodier civil war or the ACW flipping sides, with the northern states being the ones who make the first shot and splitting off first.

Which would make up for an awesome new geographical set-up for the North American continent. Or even Mexico daring to later on go expansionist on the now weakened United States and take Oregon out of them.

Oh you have no idea ;) Yeah, things are only just barely getting bad for the US. My response to jycee above should give you a hint at what to expect from Mexico later on in the ACW.

Bio#3: Vicente de Sucre
Mini update time!!! The writer's block has me by the balls again, but in order to try to get my writing legs working again, I whipped up another one of these little bios, which have proven to be pretty fun. :p

Hopefully you guys like it, this dude's fictional, but it should shed some light on what's been going on in New Grenada since I've been pretty mum about it for a while.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vicente de Sucre (1830-)

3yrMxu4.jpg

Antonio Vicente Bonifacio de Sucre y Carcelén was the second child and first son of Colombian revolutionary Antonio José de Sucre, born one day after his father’s birthday, June 5, 1830 in the city of Bogotá, New Grenada. As Sucre’s first born son, Vicente was instilled with a strong martial ad athletic drive from an early age, with a future set for the military. In his adolescence various academic tutors praised the boy for his scholarly talents, particularly keen in geography and languages. By the age of 14 Vicente began his education at the Central University in the Neogrenadine capital, where he also proved to excel, eventually completing his studies with excellent marks soon after his 17th birthday in 1847.

That same year a coup d’état orchestrated by General José María Obando overthrew the elected government in Bogotá, with support garnered from the south of the country. That autumn Vicente accompanied his father, who was made Minister Plenipotentiary for Mexico (undoubtedly Obando was motivated by his desire to rid himself of Sucre, as both men shared a mutual hostility for one another). Their time in Mexico left a strong impression on both men, whom arrived in the midst of the Mexican-American War. The elder Sucre even managed to befriend President Iturbide (a fellow admirer of the late Liberator), while the younger Sucre managed to meet both Generals Urrea and Allende the Younger in Coahuila mere months before the latter’s untimely demise.

In August 1849 Obando was deposed in a bloodless coup, but violence still erupted in southern New Grenada when fear of a Spanish invasion via Ecuador reignited the region’s religious tensions. General Sucre was soon recalled from his diplomatic duties, but not long after his return he joined a Liberal conspiracy against the usurper Conservative government, headed by notable statesmen Vicente Azuero and Manuel Murillo Toro. The younger Sucre meanwhile remained in Mexico for another two years, where he received training at the Military Academy in Mexico City. By the time of his return to New Grenada in 1851, he immediately joined his father in battle, as the country had fallen into civil war once more.

The war was in its final days by the time Vicente was reunited with his father, but in the process of taking Bogotá Antonio was injured, which forced him to convalesce in the war’s final weeks. In one of the war’s final battles, Lieutenant Vicente de Sucre inflicted a stinging defeat on conservative General Braulio Henao at the Battle of Cocorná, southeast of Medellín. His victory in Antioquía promoted him to Captain, and at 22 years old, Vicente became somewhat of a celebrity.

In 1853, the new President of New Grenada, Tomás Cipriano de Mosquera made the elder Sucre the new Minister of War, while Vicente was sent to Popayan in the south, charged with monitoring of the border with Spanish Peru. In what became known as the Nine Weeks’ War, Vicente showcased his diplomatic skills, when he managed to negotiate a ceasefire between Neogrenadine forces and an invading Spanish Army, but not before he managed to defeat that same Spanish Army when it attempted to take Vicente’s garrison. To their credit, the sudden Spanish withdrawal probably had more to do with a massive rebellion in Upper Peru which broke out in April 1855.

The following year Vicente, now a Colonel, was transferred clear across the country to Santa Marta. While New Grenada had managed to recuperate well enough following the dissolution of Gran Colombia, Venezuela was not nearly as lucky. After the fall of Paez’s dictatorship in 1846 several Venezuelan provinces seceded and formed their own dysfunctional republics. The Republic of Zulia, which encompassed Lake Maracaibo and bordered New Grenada, had become rife with banditry and lawlessness, which often also poured across the border into the Neogrenadine state of Magdalena. By late 1856 the turmoil in Zulia had intensified to the point that Bogotá sought to do something about it. On October 16, 1856, Colonel Sucre and over 5,000 Neogrenadine soldiers crossed the border east of Santa Marta, intent on the city of Maracaibo. He was not yet aware of it, but Vicente de Sucre was about to start a war that would rage for nearly a decade, and in the process a nation would be reborn.

Last edited:
That was a nice little update. I'm a bit foggy on the details of what happened with the dissolution of Gran Colombia in TTL, but you got me curious at what this 'new nation' will be.

That was a nice little update. I'm a bit foggy on the details of what happened with the dissolution of Gran Colombia in TTL, but you got me curious at what this 'new nation' will be.

Thanks! Hehe that's my bad, after the last major update I realized I haven't talked very much on Colombia (or most of South America past 1830, maybe save for Argentina). :eek:

I think I have some little bits of details scattered in various updates, but I don't even know where they are, so to save us the trouble here's a quick recap on what's been happening in South America:

After the dissolution of Gran Colombia, things more or less resemble OTL up until the 1840's. New Grenada goes through a period of instability and civil war, but by the 50's things are beginning to get a little better. Venezuela get's the worse deal, as I hinted in Sucre's mini-update. It breaks up into various caudillo republics. I'll try and whip up a more concise "update" on South America asap and try to explain it all.

In Peru, the Spanish have been busy fortifying there last bit of New World they have left. In the 1840's the new Liberal government passed some laws granting more rights to the colony and the Mestizos and Indians, but oftentimes the laws were never enforced. After the Revolutions of 1848 in Europe blow up into a big ass war (which I also plan to update asap...whichever I finish first hehe :eek:), pressure will mount in Peru for Spain to deliver on its promises.

Brazil also succumbs to civil war in the 1830's and breaks apart into an Empire remnant centered on Rio de Janerio and Bahia, with the secession of Grao Para, Confederation of the Equator and Piratini.

Argentina is unified into a federal union led by Montevideo, while Buenos Aires is sticking it alone for the time being. Oh yeah and Dr. Francia has been dead for about a generation now, so TTL Paraguay is a totally different place.

Map of Nueva Granada and Venezuela: 1856
I made this a couple days ago, but I figure it'd help illustrate what's happening in my last update with Vicente de Sucre a little better.

Map of the former Gran Colombia. The year is 1856, just before Sucre marches into Zulia.

fmXnjDs.png

What is the most influential/rich of the post-Venezuelan states?

I reckon its Orinoco or Venezuela itself.

Jycee got it right, Venezuela mostly because it has Caracas. Orinoco isn't as populous as it's neighbors, but it's been able to weather the break up of Venezuela rather well. Zulia would be doing pretty well too, but it's the real basket case of the lot, rife with instability.

Venezuela no! ;_;

I know :( I don't take any particular pleasure ripping Venezuela apart, it's just how the story has devolved.

Just finished cramming this good stuff. Keep up the good work with this timeline :)

And looks like Gran Colombia will make an epic comeback from the looks of it...

How thickly settled is California by this point? is it still in a position to be flooded into by Anglo settlers like OTL?

Just finished cramming this good stuff. Keep up the good work with this timeline :)

And looks like Gran Colombia will make an epic comeback from the looks of it...

Thanks dude! I'll try my best :)

Good eye there, it's a little different to the normal route one would have to achieve a united Gran Colombia, but then again I don't think you ever see any unification wars in the western hemisphere so I thought it was a cool idea. :p

How thickly settled is California by this point? is it still in a position to be flooded into by Anglo settlers like OTL?

By the start of the American Civil War California (this is including Alta California and Sacramento Territory) have about 150,000 people. The Mexicans have been trying to keep west-bound Anglos at arms length, but some still manage to trickle through, and there's still plenty of room for settlers. In the coming years though, most Anglos coming to the region will be those escaping the Civil War.

Good eye there, it's a little different to the normal route one would have to achieve a united Gran Colombia, but then again I don't think you ever see any unification wars in the western hemisphere so I thought it was a cool idea. :p

Well, a nation created through bloodshed will most likely to survive for centuries. Just look at the US.

You know, I honestly figured that Gran Colombia has the potential to be the South American equivalent of the United States. Hopefully it'll become a great power in the future. Alongside México, of course.

Well, a nation created through bloodshed will most likely to survive for centuries. Just look at the US.

You know, I honestly figured that Gran Colombia has the potential to be the South American equivalent of the United States. Hopefully it'll become a great power in the future. Alongside México, of course.

If Colombia reunites it will likely be a rather large rival to Mexico. Not sure how strong Peru will be, but I think we are likely looking at a Pacific Rival to Mexico (start with the fact that Peru, as part of the Spanish Empire, likely has a strong navy that links it to the Philippines).

Things might get really interesting.

If Colombia reunites it will likely be a rather large rival to Mexico. Not sure how strong Peru will be, but I think we are likely looking at a Pacific Rival to Mexico (start with the fact that Peru, as part of the Spanish Empire, likely has a strong navy that links it to the Philippines).

Things might get really interesting.

Deleted member 67076

And this time Colombia can actually digest its rivals, which is really been a big problem in this region; they're all too equally powerful to unify by force.

I don't think to be honest. A great power among the ranks of the Japan, France, Germany or Russia sure. But something as utterly dominant as the US post 1870 is very hard to picture. It'd have only about a third of the population of the US and would be less industrialized than the latter at its height and will probably suffer some sort of Dutch disease as time passes.

Deleted member 67076

@jycee & Soverihn:

I was comparing ATL Gran Colombia to OTL United States.
Even one that does everything right following the Congress of Cucuta onward would probably not be enough to become a superpower.