¡Por la Patria, Viva México Fuerte! A Mexican TL

All of this said and done, I can imagine later on that Indalecio is going to be remembered as one of Mexico's greatest generals (and possibly we'll have an aircraft carrier named after him). Oh, how awesome!

Anyway, I have a few questions, that I would like to know if they will ever be answered, either by quotes, spoilers, or on later chapters:
  1. So, I see rebels in Ireland. Does this means that the British idiotic handling of the Potato Famines is going to be worse?
  2. I also see a splintered Brazil, possibly due to a successful Pernambuco rebellion, am I right? And so, how did Buenos Aires and Rio Grande do Sul got separated from the rest of Argentina and Brazil in this timeline?
  3. Are you going to thrash the Austrians? (if so... Inferno yea! I want to see such an unnatural-looking country off the map... XD )
  4. Is that white dot on the Iberian Peninsula an early Catalonia attempt or the ATL equivalent of Carlistas (though, these would be "Cristinos" this time) for Spain?
  5. I also see that there's a quite unnatural border on the northern island of New Zealand. Are you going to correct that later on?
  6. I have a bit of an idea on República Dominicana.

Anyway, that's all.

Egads, it lives! Though I am saddened to see Australia being colonised by two nations (French I assume) as clearly it is the duty of the Anglos to treat the Abogrines as utter shit. I am excited to see more, death to Ameriwanks! :cool:

I'm not...I sometimes wonder what it would be like if Australia was the Korea of the 19th century...

Isolationist, then fits of domestic uphevial, the center of a power struggle between two nations and subsquently eaten by one of them? Hurm.

How are y'all in my head! Haha

You're right Novak, the French got to the Swan River before the Brits and now claim all of Western Australia. Whether they keep all of WA, that's another matter...;) but yes, Australia will be a divided continent.

Sounds like Joseon Syndrome all right. :p

Nonetheless, let's butcher America. :O

Oh, just wait until the civil war gets started...;)

Hm, Buenos Aires is separated from Southern United Provinces (Provincias Unidas del Sud) as OTL, but Rio Grande Do Sul is separated from Brazil?

:D

Lol, Both Brazil and Argentina get off to a very rocky start, though Buenos Aires won't be independent for too long. Neither Piratini for that matter, but events there might differ from what you would expect.

Keep it up, Arkhangelsk!:)

Thanks Archangel! :)

Hmm, seems like Mexico regained some territory north from SF bay

Mexico always had the chunk north of SF Bay in TTL, it is in my TL (below) where Mexico lost it.

Jycee got to it before I could, thanks dude!

Sur America looks a big damn mess. Hope things stabilize there soon.

It has been a bit of a clusterfuck...though things are getting better in Argentina (minus BA of course). As I hinted in my reply to Razgriz, things will stabilize soon...pretty soon actually ;)

All of this said and done, I can imagine later on that Indalecio is going to be remembered as one of Mexico's greatest generals (and possibly we'll have an aircraft carrier named after him). Oh, how awesome!

Anyway, I have a few questions, that I would like to know if they will ever be answered, either by quotes, spoilers, or on later chapters:
  1. So, I see rebels in Ireland. Does this means that the British idiotic handling of the Potato Famines is going to be worse?
  2. I also see a splintered Brazil, possibly due to a successful Pernambuco rebellion, am I right? And so, how did Buenos Aires and Rio Grande do Sul got separated from the rest of Argentina and Brazil in this timeline?
  3. Are you going to thrash the Austrians? (if so... Inferno yea! I want to see such an unnatural-looking country off the map... XD )
  4. Is that white dot on the Iberian Peninsula an early Catalonia attempt or the ATL equivalent of Carlistas (though, these would be "Cristinos" this time) for Spain?
  5. I also see that there's a quite unnatural border on the northern island of New Zealand. Are you going to correct that later on?
  6. I have a bit of an idea on República Dominicana.

Anyway, that's all.

He difinitely will be! As the defender of the republic, as well as the son of one of Mexico's "founding fathers," his legacy will be pretty positive. Lol you can bet an aircraft carrier will be named after him (or whatever I decide to name their ATL equivalent). On a somewhat random note, I've always had this cool idea of Mexican battleships named after Aztec gods and/or important figures or something. I dunno, I like the sound of a future battleship being named the ARM Quetzalcoatl or ARM Cuauhtemoc. :D

As for your questions...

1. Pretty much. Without giving away too much, 1848 will be much more exciting in Britain...Ireland won't be breaking free anytime soon though.
  2. You're correct, the Cabanagem and Riograndense revolts are both successful TTL, partly thanks to the butterflies caused by Francia's death in Paraguay. Same for Buenos Aires, as one of those butterflies happens to be Artigas' success in Uruguay and Rosas being Rosas.
  3. The Austrians are gonna get a real thrashing alright. It's probably gonna see some of the most intense action during and after 1848. It will survive, if only barely.
  4. It is, kinda. It's more Spain's own troubles with 1848 than anything else. Cristinos sounds pretty cool for a name I must say, though I don't think it'll be so, since Ferdie VII didn't live long enough to marry Maria Cristina. On that though, is there anyone who has claims against Carlos and his heirs?
  5. Lol it'll be corrected in do time. That's nothing more than claims, and Britain has a head start so expect that line to move south.
  6. Ooh I'd like to hear your idea. :)

He difinitely will be! As the defender of the republic, as well as the son of one of Mexico's "founding fathers," his legacy will be pretty positive. Lol you can bet an aircraft carrier will be named after him (or whatever I decide to name their ATL equivalent). On a somewhat random note, I've always had this cool idea of Mexican battleships named after Aztec gods and/or important figures or something. I dunno, I like the sound of a future battleship being named the ARM Quetzalcoatl or ARM Cuauhtemoc. :D

As for your questions...

1. Pretty much. Without giving away too much, 1848 will be much more exciting in Britain...Ireland won't be breaking free anytime soon though.
  2. You're correct, the Cabanagem and Riograndense revolts are both successful TTL, partly thanks to the butterflies caused by Francia's death in Paraguay. Same for Buenos Aires, as one of those butterflies happens to be Artigas' success in Uruguay and Rosas being Rosas.
  3. The Austrians are gonna get a real thrashing alright. It's probably gonna see some of the most intense action during and after 1848. It will survive, if only barely.
  4. It is, kinda. It's more Spain's own troubles with 1848 than anything else. Cristinos sounds pretty cool for a name I must say, though I don't think it'll be so, since Ferdie VII didn't live long enough to marry Maria Cristina. On that though, is there anyone who has claims against Carlos and his heirs?
  5. Lol it'll be corrected in do time. That's nothing more than claims, and Britain has a head start so expect that line to move south.

I eagerly await that when that phase comes rolling around.

And so, with an early Catalonian nationalism, are the Basques going to side with the Spanish later on or not or it's going to turn into a messy affair such as it was in the Carlist wars?

Also, for the Cristinos, you are right indeed. They are not going to feature on this timeline.

Anyway, check your PM inbox. You'll be either delighted, shocked, laughing, happy, or you'll have diarrhoea.

loving this timeline, Mexico's one of those countries that's had terrible luck for most of it's existence and the fact that you've found a plausible way to change that in the face of endless Ameriwanks has made this timeline an absolute pleasure to read.

HEY GUYS!!!

loving this timeline, Mexico's one of those countries that's had terrible luck for most of it's existence and the fact that you've found a plausible way to change that in the face of endless Ameriwanks has made this timeline an absolute pleasure to read.

Whoopsie! Sorry for missing your comment! :eek: Thank you though, it makes me happy you've enjoyed reading my TL, and I couldn't agree more! :D

I just wanted to drop by and let you guys know I'm still alive. I graduate uni in a few weeks and it's been a rough term, but I've been slowly working on the next update.

...too slow in fact. I have a little bit of free time for now, I was thinking of doing some more little profiles on important people, like the one I did for Indalecio Allende a while back. If you guys have any suggestions, I'd me more than happy to take them. :)

Allende Sr. and Iturbide might be my next ones since their lives have changed so dramatically from OTL, but let's try to spice things up, lol.

Anyways, I hope y'all have been well!!! :)

Razgriz 2K9

Banned
As for your questions...

In the case of 4:
Should Carlos die without heirs (which obviously he won't), the throne would pass to his younger brother, Francisco de Paula and his descendants, followed by any descendents from Charles IV's daughters, whomever they may be...

Bio#2: Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna
In the case of 4:
Should Carlos die without heirs (which obviously he won't), the throne would pass to his younger brother, Francisco de Paula and his descendants, followed by any descendents from Charles IV's daughters, whomever they may be...

Yup, the current King of Spain (as of 1836) is Carlos' youngest son Juan. I don't think Francisco de Paula may not be exiled this time, with Maria Cristina out of the way...that still leaves Espartero though.

Doin' good over here, Arkhangelsk. Just patiently waiting, that's all.

That's good man, sorry for the eternal wait. :eek:

After my last message my computer got a virus and I had to do a factory system restore...so I lost some of my material. Anyway, that's all passed, so I'll divert your attention to a man who's been absent from this timeline that you all should be familiar with. ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna (1794-1858)

Daguerrotype of Santa Anna, 1853

Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna was the son of a lowly bureaucratic peninsular Spaniard of the same name and his French wife, born in 1794 in the intendancy of Veracruz. The young criollo was afforded a fine education for the time, but his ambitions pulled him toward a career in the military. Against his parents will, the young Antonio left home in the summer of 1810 and joined the Colonial Militia under the command of General Arredondo. Arredondo proved to leave a lasting impression on Santa Anna, as future historians often attribute the latter’s aggressive behavior and brutality to the “Butcher of Valladolid.”

Following the war for independence, Santa Anna accepted the amnesty promulgated by President Allende and returned to Veracruz where he married the daughter of a wealthy merchant and began a modest commercial enterprise in sugarcane. By the late 1820’s however Santa Anna's fortunes had all but seemingly evaporated. Unable to turn a profit in the commercial world, what little profits he made all went to his preferred vice, gambling. His relationship with his wife grew more strained, made worse by Santa Anna’s public infidelity. Late in 1830 he made the decision to leave Veracruz, relocating for a time to Mexico City before re-enlisting in the military and moving to Alta California. After several years of fighting Indians in the San Joaquin Valley, Santa Anna attained the rank of 2nd Lieutenant and moved permanently to the Presidio at Yerba Buena. There he quickly fell in love with 22-year old María de Jesus Vallejo, the youngest sister of rich californio politician Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo. Santa Anna soon became embroiled in the rough world of Californian politics, fervently advocating for greater territorial autonomy. He was briefly imprisoned in 1842 during an abortive uprising aimed at removing then-governor Manuel Micheltorena, but was released after several months. A second rebellion in early 1845 saw Micheltorena successfully ousted and for several months Santa Anna served as the territory’s governor.

The outbreak of the Mexican-American War saw Santa Anna join in the defense of the territory from invasion, resigning his gubernatorial duties for the battlefield. Santa Anna became infamous for his actions in the 1848 Sacramento Massacre, where over 100 Americans (mostly soldiers as well as a few settlers) were executed on his orders, despite protests from General Flores. Santa Anna was court-martialed by General Urrea in 1849, but his actions earned him the collective hatred of the United States. Following the 1850 California Gold Rush Santa Anna began expanding his ranch and estate in the Sacramento Valley, as new waves of settlers began parcelling out land for themselves. In 1853 he unsuccessfully ran for governor for the new state of Alta California, though he managed to win a seat in the new state legislature. Under the dubious pretext of “protecting Mexican settlers,” Santa Anna led a filibuster into the Salt Lake Valley with a party of 1,500 men in the early spring of 1857, and after heavy fighting and much loss of life he emerged victorious and claimed all of Deseret Territory for Mexico. The outbreak of the American Civil War following the presidential election of 1856 prevented a full-blown resumption of hostilities between Mexico and the United States, as well as allowed Santa Anna to entrench himself in the territory (as well as forcibly removing dozens of Mormon settlers from their land in order to later reward it to his soldiers). While Mexico City officially condemned Santa Anna’s filibuster, it saw his actions as a fait accompli and sent more troops to aid him. Santa Anna would himself die in early 1858 during an American counter-offensive into the territory while he was in the midst of negotiating aid to the Provisional Government of Oregon in exchange for Deseret.

Last edited:
That is one creative take on Santa Anna... well done sir!

Very much looking forward to see what comes up, I like the idea of the independent Oregon.

Ooh, potentially Mexican Deseret and an independent Oregon

Oh yes ;)

That one's always causing trouble, but it's odd to see that it might end up helping Mexico!

Haha for the longest time I didn't know what to do with Santy Anny, and I felt just killing him off would be too easy. I figured I'd have fun with him instead, and the fact that he ends up helping Mexico is the icing on the cake.

That is one creative take on Santa Anna... well done sir!

Very much looking forward to see what comes up, I like the idea of the independent Oregon.

Thank you kindly sir! :) I had a lot of fun coming up with his TTL back story. I love an independent Oregon as well, I can't wait to get to it in the TL.

Awesome to see Santa Anna being the William Waker ITTL! May my homeland be free from American tyranny long enough to drop the Provisional in the title. :p

Thanks Novak! :D I figured Santa Anna fit the bill for a would-be filebustero rather well. As for your homeland, they may actually get that chance. ;)