¡Por la Patria, Viva México Fuerte! A Mexican TL

Oops, I did it again...

Like that old ass Brittany Spears song...yeah no :p

But seriously, I've been busy with school the last few weeks, and naturally I fail to let you guys know...so sorries u___u

I do come with good news though. I just finished classes for this term, so I have a lot more free time now. I've slowly inched away at the next update over the last few months, so I should hopefully have the next update up in the next few days, once I complete it and revise it (this next one will also have narrative text to go along with the normal format I've been posting in so far). Sorry for making you guys wait a bit longer, this is more so me just letting you know I'm alive and well XD

It could be sooner than you think. If Mexico is stable the bid to build a railroad from Veracruz to Acapulco will come very soon - it is too useful not just for Mexico but for everyone else - if managed properly this should give Mexico enough investment to kick start some industry.

As far as labor, Mexico should receive more immigration through out the 19th century than it did in OTL - probably stealing a bit of the Catholic immigration that landed in the us in OTL. Maybe even some Cubans fleeing the US controlled island.

It should be interesting.

It's good you bring these tidbits to light, as these developments will actually be occurring in the next update...more or less. Especially in regards to immigration, Mexico City will begin to get serious in regards to populating the north, encouraging newly arrived Europeans, as well as native Mexicans, to form colonizing parties.

It's good you bring these tidbits to light, as these developments will actually be occurring in the next update...more or less. Especially in regards to immigration, Mexico City will begin to get serious in regards to populating the north, encouraging newly arrived Europeans, as well as native Mexicans, to form colonizing parties.

Sweet :D I await the next update with bated breath :D

Ignacio Allende #2
First off I want to apologize for the delay (yet again), these last few weeks have kept me from properly devoting the time to make this update, but I'm happy to say I finally have one. A little different from what I usually post, and I've never been the best at narrative, but I hope you guys enjoy it. :)

Sunday March 26, 1837
San Miguel el Grande, Guanajuato
United Mexican States

The sun blazed mightily in the skies over the rolling green hills of the Bajío, as the ringing of church bells resonated through the countryside, signaling the end of another Easter Mass. As church goers filed out of San Miguel’s mighty cathedral, filling the village with boisterous life once again, a wooden stagecoach raced its way past the sanmiguelenses and into the surrounding countryside. The stagecoach seemed rather ornate, matching only a very few in the region. Sensibly enough it happened to belong to Mexico’s President-elect, and one of the wealthiest men in the entire country.

“Hilario, conduct a left turn at the approaching road,” said a deep male voice from inside the coach.

Sí, por supuesto don Agustín,” said the cabby, who proceeded to make a left turn onto a dirt road, as per his master’s instructions.

The coach followed the dirt road for some time, upon which it arrived near a great hacienda. The coach came to a halt, and its occupant exited, just as three men on horseback grew larger on the horizon.

The nearest man dismounted his horse and began to walk towards the stagecoach. He was tall and evidently robust, much like the man who had just appeared from the coach. Despite wearing a sombrero, there were patches of white visible in the man’s brown hair.

Don Agustín…what do I owe this surprise visit?

Iturbide gave a curt bow. “Don Ignacio, if you would be kind enough to give me some of your time, I would like to have a small word with you.”

“Perhaps you should bow further and show some more respect to the father of our country!” exclaimed one of the other men still on horseback. He was a spitting image of Allende, albeit younger in form.

“Enough Indalecio! We must show respect to our guests, regardless of who they are,” said Ignacio, making a point to direct his scowl at Iturbide. “Por favor don Agustín,” motioning in the direction of the hacienda. At that, the two older gentlemen tread away.

“What on earth does Iturbide want with your father?” uttered the blond man also mounted on horseback. He, like Indalecio, was well built, sporting a goatee and a long scar which ran diagonally across his face.

Dios sabe, Carlos…dios sabe. It cannot be good…that much, I do know.”

Both Allende and Iturbide entered the former’s hacienda, walking through a dim passage and entering an outdoor courtyard. Setting down at a nearby table, Allende motioned his hand to the empty chair next to him, beckoning Iturbide to sit down.
“Hernanda, please bring us some pulque.” The squatty woman whom had been standing nearby promptly walked off.
Allende folded his hands and set them on the table in front of him. “Forgive me, but I must admit I am somewhat shocked to find you of all people in San Miguel, don Agustín…and of all days, on Easter,” said Allende.

“Yes, well…extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures, I’m sure you would agree with me General Allende.

Allende furled an eyebrow in confusion.

“I shall be quite frank with you General Allende, I come here to ask for your help.” More confusion drew upon Allende’s face.

“As you are well aware, my triumph in the previous election has elicited a…violent reaction in many quarters of the nation.”

“Yes, I’m well aware of these crises…I was in Guadalajara several weeks ago and the situation in Zacatecas was still far from being resolved. They don’t seem to like you don Agustín.”

“Well yes, I’m well aware of how certain factions and individuals are disposed towards me. Nevertheless, I’m confident the events in el norte and Yucatán will resolve themselves in favor of the national interest. My fears lie farther to the south, in Guatemala.”

“Yes, I’ve been hearing of some of the atrocities being committed in that region,” muttered Allende.

“It’s Carrera and his horde of savages!” uttered Iturbide, swashing his clenched hand with such force that it alarmed Hernanda as she placed a bottle of white pulque and two clay mugs on the table.

Eso es todo, gracias Hernanda.” Allende nodded towards his servant, and she responded in kind, promptly pacing out of the courtyard.

“As I was saying, our control over the far south is deteriorating quickly than I would like to admit. That said, I come to you, and invite you to head an army that will reign in the isthmian provinces.”

Allende face pursed up after Iturbide’s words, though it had more to do with the pulque the former had just sipped. Nevertheless, Iturbide’s statement came to Allende as a significant shock.

Perdon don Agustín, though I am somewhat…honored that you come to me with such a proposition. I must say, I am curious as to why you went to the trouble of journeying here to ask an old man like me this, when I’m certain there are men just as capable, if not moreso, at your disposal in the capital.

Iturbide took a sip of his own pulque jug, grimaced slightly, and then produced a wry smile, leeringly at Allende. Do not get the wrong impression don Ignacio. The struggle for independence may have been a generation ago, but deep wounds never truly heal.” Iturbide’s smile then began to fade into a scowl, small at first, and then it grew with each word that escaped the former Royalist’s mouth. “Scars remain to remind one of the pain…and humiliation.” The pitch in Iturbide’s voice became slightly higher with the utterance of the last word.

Allende abruptly interjected, forcing Iturbide to pause in surprise.

“I do not have the time to entertain your renegations, don Agustín, and considering recent events, I believe neither do you.”

Iturbide grew red with indignation, but Allende continued on.

Por favor don Agustín, ambos somos mexicanos, let us not degenerate to petty squabbles about events long since passed.” Allende did not blink as he stared back into Iturbide’s hazel eyes.

Calming down, Iturbide took another gulp of his pulque and began to speak once more.

Sí, don Ignacio…the reason I come to you specifically, is a simple one. The lower castes seem better disposed towards you than most other men in the republic, and it would be a false assertion to say they do not outnumber those of our race three times out of four. I need a general that is easily capable of rallying this rabble...” Iturbide paused.

Don Agustín, I’m no longer the young man I once was. As I alluded to earlier, there are a number of younger men that our nation has produced, that are certainly capable of waving our banner towards victory.” Allende proceeded to take his sombrero off, highlighting his grey hair.

Iturbide sighed. “The country is crumbling to pieces, and despite our differences, I believe this is one subject the both of us can find common ground with complete ease.” He paused once more.

“I have no doubt in my mind you are the man for this task. As your own son made clear to me earlier, usted es el padre de nuestra patria.” Iturbide smiled and steadily rose from his chair. Allende proceeded to stand as well. “Gracias, for the pulque and your time, don Ignacio. I will be off now; I must make my way to the capital as soon as possible.”

It is my pleasure, don Agustín.”

“Please keep my proposition under consideration, I expect you will come to the right conclusion soon enough.”

The two generals quickly exchanged handshakes and Iturbide briskly walked down the dark corridor and back outside, where his stagecoach was waiting for him.

Ay dios mío…” Allende thought to himself. “This Iturbide…he will be the end of me.”

¡Abuelo! ¡Abuelooo!

Allende had barely enough time to turn around and search for the source of the yells before he felt something forcefully rip at his left leg.

¡Kiko! ¡Deja a tú abuelo!” Two middle-aged women were rushing towards Allende and the young boy clinging onto Allende’s leg. One was fair skinned and donning a reasonably ornate dress. The other had darker skin and black, braided hair, and she too, was wearing a nice dress. The fair skinned women then began to speak, reaching for Kiko. “¡Qué te dije, que no debes de molestar a tú abuelo! ¿No puedes ver que está muy ocupado? He’s very busy!”

Kiko looked as if he were about to cry, but stopped as Allende bellowed with laughter.

“Haha, it’s alright Adélia, they can’t help it at his age.” Allende looked down and grinned happily, and Kiko smiled in return.

Abuelo, we went to church, and then to the market, and these old people were selling meat, and it smelled funny and –“ Kiko was interrupted by Adélia, his mother. “¡Ya Kiko! Deja tú abuelo a descansar. Let him rest.”

Allende knelt down, so his eyes were level with Kiko’s. "It’s alright hijo, we’ll play in a second, let me just speak with your mother and la señora Navarro.” Kiko nodded vigorously in joyful agreement, and ran outside. At that moment, both Indalecio and Carlos entered the courtyard.

“What did Iturbide want with you, father?”

“I was wondering the same thing, I wasn’t sure if it was Iturbide that I saw pass us on the way here,” said Adélia.

Allende closed his eyes, facing down, before opening them and facing the others. “Iturbide was here to talk to me…about me leading an army down south, to Guatemala.”

¿¡Qué!?” Carlos and both of the women shared expressions of shock. “B-but, father, is he mad? Does he not know I’m already set to raise an army to quash the rebellions? Why on earth is he bothering you!?”

“Calm down Indalecio, I understand. I told him the same thing, as to why he came to me personally.”

W-why then, don Ignacio, did he come to you personally?” said Adélia.

Allende sighed. “Iturbide believes me the most qualified to lead…because I apparently am the only criollo in this country who can capably lead indios.

“If I may, don Igniacio,” said the dark-skinned woman,”Iturbide does have one thing correct. Many indios still hold you in high regard, myself included.”

“Tona is right, don Ignacio, many still remember you fondly from independence, and even the younger generations are fond of you,” said Carlos.

“Father, so are you going to do this?

“Regardless of my relationship with Iturbide, I will not stand by while the nation I helped build slowly devolves into madness.”

Allende turned and looked toward the center of the courtyard, where Kiko was merrily climbing a small tree.

It is our responsibility to protect this nation…for them.

--------------------------------------------------------

Tonantzin "Tona" and Carlos Navarro belong to Carlos Kuri and White Knight Creative Productions. I pulled a Cuauhtemoc and inserted fictional cartoon characters into the story...tis quite fun. :p

[EDIT] I made a big mistake here (and on a previous update) where I mentioned Iturbide's inauguration taking place in 1838. It's supposed to be 1837. Unfortunately I can't go back and fix the previous update that mentions it as well, but I at least wanted to clarify that before it came back to bite me in the ass.

Last edited:
Arkhangelsk

Great to see this active again, although now I need to remember what is going on.:(;)

Sounds like Iturbide is eating some humble pie but also taking the approach of putting the country 1st which is not only the way to get the response he wants from Allende but also bods well for the future of the country in the example it sets.:)

One small quibble. The section below sounds this the coach turned the wrong way? Or am I simply going senile?

“Hilario, conduct a left turn at the approaching road,” said a deep male voice from inside the coach.

Sí, por supuesto don Agustín,” said the cabby, who proceeded to make a right turn onto a dirt road, as per his master’s instructions.

Steve

Arkhangelsk

Great to see this active again, although now I need to remember what is going on.:(;)

Sounds like Iturbide is eating some humble pie but also taking the approach of putting the country 1st which is not only the way to get the response he wants from Allende but also bods well for the future of the country in the example it sets.:)

One small quibble. The section below sounds this the coach turned the wrong way? Or am I simply going senile?

[SNIP]

Steve

I dunno how on earth I made that little mistake, after all the times I went through it, but it's been fixed, thanks Steve. :eek:

Just to jog all our memories, cuz it's been a while, Mexico was ruled by the Federalist party from independence to 1838, and they were generally for leaving the states to their own devices, which suited the states just fine. The victory of the Centralist Party, which as it's name suggests wants to centralize power in the capital, alarmed many Federalists nationwide and Mexico is going through a series of revolts in various states (similar to what happened when Santa Anna nullified the 1824 Constitution in OTL). Central America is unique to all the other revolts because it's wanting total independence from Mexico, unlike all the other states who simply want Iturbide out of Mexico City.

You're right, Iturbide isn't the mouthy jerk asshole he used to be. Here he has thus lived 14 years more then in OTL, and I'm exploring the possibility that in that time he humbled up a little and became better at governing (not the absolute best, but certainly above the likes of Santa Anna).

This is a prelude to my normal style update, which will get us to the eve of the Mexican-American War.

Last edited:
I dunno how on earth I made that little mistake, after all the times I went through it, but it's been fixed, thanks Steve. :eek:

Just to jog all our memories, cuz it's been a while, Mexico was ruled by the Federalist party from independence to 1838, and they were generally for leaving the states to their own devices, which suited the states just fine. The victory of the Centralist Party, which as it's name suggests wants to centralize power in the capital, alarmed many Federalists nationwide and Mexico is going through a series of revolts in various states (similar to what happened when Santa Anna nullified the 1824 Constitution in OTL). Central America is unique to all the other revolts because it's wanting total independence from Mexico, unlike all the other states who simply want Iturbide out of Mexico City.

You're right, Iturbide isn't the mouthy jerk asshole he used to be. Here he has thus lived 14 years more then in OTL, and I'm exploring the possibility that in that time he humbled up a little and became better at governing (not the absolute best, but certainly above the likes of Santa Anna).

This is a prelude to my normal style update, which will get us to the eve of the Mexican-American War.

Arkhangelsk

Glad to have helped and thanks for the refresher.

It would have been difficult to have found someone worse than Santa Anna but I get the point. The leading characters and hence the society are getting more maturity in their actions.:)

Steve

And this thread got updated, and we got a rather different approach on it. Really good. I can actually imagine Iturbide raging over the Central American separatists.

Currently working on the next update, which is about 50% done. Hopefully I'll have it done real soon.

In the meantime, I wanted to show you guys something I've slowly been working on for a few months. I have created a Wikia page dedicated to the TL, where information on Por la Patria will be available in encyclopedia format for easier access.

Here's the link: http://porlapatria.wikia.com/wiki/Por_la_Patria,_Viva_M%C3%A9xico_Fuerte_Wiki

I've slowly been adding info onto the wiki, but now that I'm making it public, you're all welcome to contribute, if you wish. As the TL's creator I have full moderating control over the information added to the wiki, and reserve the right to edit anything the I think deems such action. To that effect, if y'all can alert me anytime you've added information to the wiki (whether it's via post on this thread, PMing me, or whatever) I would greatly appreciate it. :)

Take care everyone, and thank you for the kind words on my previous update!

Rebellion and Resurgence: The Imperial Presidency of Agustín de Iturbide
Here's the next update I promised. Things heat up big time between the US and Mexico...things are gonna get ugly. I hope you guys enjoy this update!

Rebellion and Resurgence: The Imperial Presidency of Agustín de Iturbide

Iturbide-1_zps5f897516.jpg

The Imperial President

Amid a mixture of jubilation and derision was former Royalist general Agustín de Iturbide inaugurated as Mexico’s fourth president, taking the oath of office at the National Palace in March 1837. Iturbide’s avowed support for the church gave him vast political sway over the elites of Mexico City, allowing him to overtake the weakened Federalist opposition with relative ease during the 1837 elections. Iturbide’s extravagance and iron-fisted manner of governing would lend to his most famous epithet: the Imperial President. “Emperor Iturbide,” as some of his detractors would like to refer to him, would indeed define much of what Iturbide would do in his 16 years as president, for good and ill.[1] However, Iturbide’s victory sent alarm bells ringing through many state governments, who feared that the ruling Centralists in the executive and Congress would mean the end to the relative power and autonomy they had enjoyed since gaining independence from Spain. Amid the various forms of protest from a large number of Mexican states, none was more violent or deadly than the Guatemalan Rebellion.

The Rebellion, which broke out in late March 1837, had its roots in the series of cholera epidemics which swept through Central America in 1836 and 1837. Estimates vary on the death toll, normally ranging between 50,000 to 100,000 deaths in southern Mexico between 1837 and 1850. During the fall of 1836, various conspiracies began to manifest in the homes of the elites living in Guatemala City and San Salvador, all expounding one thing: independence. Iturbide’s victory pushed the entire region, unstable as it already was, over the edge. Violent riots erupted in Guatemala City, Tegucigalpa, San Salvador and Granada, as the soon to be outnumbered Federal garrisons were unable to stem the tide of growing discontent. Adding to Mexico City’s fears was the emergence of one Rafael Carrera. A charismatic mestizo peasant from humble origins, Carrera soon became the rallying point for the rebellion in Guatemala.[2]

Carrera skillfully managed to muster an insurgent army, and within a matter of weeks he managed to overtake much of the state, forcing Governor Francisco Morazán out of Guatemala City in early June. Operating as if a wildfire, by midsummer half of Guatemala and Comayagua were in a state of rebellion, under the control of Carrera, as well as the entirety of Sonsonate under the control of Francisco Malespín. It was at this point that the Republics of Guatemala and Sonsonate were proclaimed. Some of the insurgents spoke of uniting the new republics, as a means to stand a chance against the Mexican army, but Carrera had very little interest in entertaining notions of Central American unification. At the same time, a Mexican army, headed by famed general and former President Ignacio Allende, made its way south from Mexico City. Then President-elect Iturbide had approached the aging General Allende at his Guanajuato hacienda in April about leading the bulk of the Federal troops into Guatemala. Allende consented, despite voices of discontent from many of his fellow Federalists, and along with his eldest son Indalecio, raised an army. The Rebels and the national army would first clash at the Battle of Coatán, near the village of Tapachula, with Allende’s forces gaining a large victory over Carrera’s forces. The Mexican army would gain another victory in early August, capturing the state capital at Guatemala City, and with Carrera’s army seemingly in total disarray, it seemed the rebellion would soon be totally expunged. No sooner that Allende had established Mexican control over the city, a sudden and deadly siege was conducted by Carrera and his forces. The rebels did not manage to recapture Guatemala City, but by contemporary accounts, the city was completely devastated. Similar scenes of carnage would replay themselves in Allende’s push towards San Salvador in November. Allende managed to capture Malespín in the ensuing battle, but not before the city was, according to contemporary accounts, reduced to ashes. It was at this point that Allende remained in San Salvador, after mysteriously contracting illness. Allende’s incapacitation is attributed to his old age (having turned 68 that previous January) though the sanguine nature of the conflict (some postulate) may have had a hand in Allende’s illness. Regardless, the remainder of the war would be handled by “Allende the Younger,” Indalecio. Comayagua was quickly subdued in the spring of 1838, and after Carrera’s death near the city of Tegucigalpa, Indalecio lead the final charge against the Rebels at the Battle of Granada, in Nicaragua, in late-May.

GuatemalaRebellion_zps9e8c4200.png

Map of the Guatemala Rebellion

Federal troops entered Mexico City in September 1838, amid Independence festivities, to much fanfare and jubilation. The Mexican Congress declared both son and father Allende Benemérito de la Nación, and at a grand ceremony in the Zócalo President Iturbide awarded various accolades to many of the officers who participated in the fighting. The war came at a price for the former President, however, as Allende was castigated by many Federalist circles for becoming “Iturbide’s lapdog” (allegedly the words of radical Liberal Lorenzo de Zavala). Allende would retire to his hacienda in San Miguel el Grande, where he would fall into a long depression, one that would only intensify upon the death of Allende’s longtime lover Antonia Herrera in early 1839.

The nation at large slowly recovered from the chaos of the late 1830’s, as most of the rebellions that had ignited in protest of Iturbide’s assumption of power eventually faded away. Iturbide proved to be quite conciliatory towards many of the instigators of the nationwide rebellions, and even assented to elevating Alta California to the level of “department,” granting the vast territory significant autonomy in governing itself. Iturbide made it clear that this was only a stop-gap measure to ensure the territory’s relative peace (Alta California experienced its own civil war in 1838 over conflicts within the territory and between the territory and Mexico City), with the eventual goal of statehood. Unfortunately, Iturbide stopped short of conciliation in regards to Central America. Due to Guatemala’s prominent role in the Rebellion, it was demoted to the status of territory by the Federal government, despite protests from governor Morazán. To add further injury, two new territories were created in 1839 from territory formerly in western Guatemala, Los Altos Territory and Soconusco Territory. Guatemala seethed under this treatment, but the rebellion had left the territory in such a debilitated state, that for the time being there was little more to be done than accept Mexican custodianship.

Despite the explosive initiation to his first term, the Iturbide Administration managed some good. Construction on Mexico’s first rail line commenced in October 1838, an endeavor initiated by wealthy Veracruz merchant Francisco de Arrillaga. The line would run from Veracruz on the Gulf of Mexico, and run east towards Mexico City. Despite Arrillaga’s Liberal inclinations, Iturbide saw great worth in connecting the capital to the sea via rail. Iturbide was also aware of the advancements made in rail and steam technology in Great Britain and the United States, and sought to keep Mexico from falling further behind in industrial capacity. Arrillaga’s progress was hampered at first, by rival business interests in Veracruz who were more than willing to sabotage the project if it meant hurting Arrillaga’s reputation.[3] Political maneuvering done by Vice-President Juan Almonte quickly removed the threats to Arrillaga’s plans, and construction soon commenced, with Mexico’s first railway officially opening for service on September 3, 1839. This first section of the Veracruz-Mexico City Railway would run from Veracruz to the village of La Soledad (about 20 miles southwest of Veracruz). Further extensions would connect with Paso del Macho in late 1840, Córdoba and Orizaba in 1842 and Puebla in 1844. The final extension between Puebla and Mexico City would finally be completed in late 1845, not long after hostilities with the United States had already begun.

iturbide-2_zpsd3caf9d4-1_zps0397eb78.jpg
05Puente_de_Paso_del_Macho_zps96a62fbb-1_zps91b8f987.jpg

Iturbide felt that rail would one day help unify the nation. To the right is a portion of Mexico's first rail line as it passed through Paso del Macho.

The major issue which also kept the Mexican Congress busy throughout Iturbide’s term was Mexico’s worsening relationship with the United States. It was no secret how many in the United States sought to expand their nation’s borders until seemingly all under heaven was in American hands. Iturbide’s Cabinet, as well as the rest of Congress, was divided on how to deal with the growing threat of war with their northern neighbor. Many nationalists were more than willing to go to war, certain that the so called “United” States could easily bend to Mexico’s will. More moderating voices near Iturbide, however, warned that nothing good would come of war with the United States. One such voice that Iturbide valued highly in regards to holding back on the belligerency was Great Britain’s Ambassador to Mexico, Richard Packenham. Packenham, who’s own nation would go to war with the United States in the spring of 1839, would constantly council Iturbide against going to war against the United States. The Federalist opposition would constantly chide Iturbide for “colluding” with the British, and though it was also no secret that Great Britain held areas such as Alta California in its line of sight, Packenham stopped short of displaying the same behavior as the American Ambassador. Indeed, Ambassador William Slacum made no effort to hide his “reports” concerning Alta California to President Van Buren. The 1840 elections in the United States brought Whig politician Daniel Webster to the American presidency, allowing for Mexican-American relations to warm somewhat, as Webster was less interested in national expansion. Nevertheless, Iturbide felt it necessary to take preemptive steps, so he (at the insistence of Congress) had several thousand troops trek north toward Tejas. Iturbide also asked, and received, support from General Indalecio Allende to negotiate with the volatile Comanche in Tejas as well as in New Mexico territory. Throughout the spring and summer of 1842, Allende the Younger attempted to sign a peace agreement with the Comanche, in order to end Comanche raids into north-central Mexico. Allende was also under orders to attempt to gain the Comanche’s favor in the event Mexico and the United States went to war. The peace treaty signed that fall achieved most of what the Mexicans had asked for, namely an end to the constant raids into Tejas and Chihuahua. Allende’s attempts to gain support in the event of war proved inconclusive. The Comanche stopped short of agreeing to support, even after the Mexicans agreed to pay increased tribute to the Comanche in order to maintain peace. Regardless, the treaty achieved more or less what Iturbide wanted, namely the securement of the northern hinterland, as well as swaying indigenous support towards Mexico (and away from the United States, who had also been courting the Comanche. The issue of paying tribute caused a furor in the Mexican Congress, as many congressman felt indignant at having to “bribe savages,” threatening to refuse support of the treaty. It was only the diplomatic skills of Vice-President Almonte that allowed for enough congressional support of the treaty to be reached, with its ratification in mid-1843.

comanche-3_zpsf2a673da.jpg

Comanche raids into Mexico were taking a huge toll on northern Mexico's way of life.

Iturbide’s preemptive measures seemed to be validated as the pro-expansion Democratic Party won the 1844 elections in the United States, ushering in James K. Polk to the presidency. Polk called for immediate increases in militarization of the border, as troop levels in American Texas increased to a few thousand by early 1845. After his inauguration in March, Polk began in earnest to attempt and gain the long coveted land from Mexico, first by offering upwards of 25 million dollars for New Mexico and Alta California. Polk raised the offer to 35 million for the inclusion of Mexican Tejas, even offering to forgive Mexican debt to the United States. All monetary offers were flatly rejected by the Mexican government, frustrating Polk and furthering the deteriorating relationship between the two nations. The spark for war was finally ignited in late October 1845, near the Mexican town of San Marcos, when Mexican and American forces adjacent to the Colorado River began to fire on one another. Both sides claimed the other fired first, but the fact the conflict took place was more than what President Polk needed to ask for, and receive, a declaration of war against Mexico on November 4, 1845. Iturbide, who was himself re-elected to an unprecedented third term in 1844, despite vehement Federalist opposition, immediately went into action preparing the country for war, as the Mexican Congress followed its American counterpart’s lead and declared war on the United States in early December. The First Mexican-American War had begun.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] Irony...fuck yeah B)
[2] I never really touched on it the last time I covered Central America, but bear in mine that it was forcefully conquered by Mexico during the chaos of independence, and has been itching for the right chance to rebel and break free...obviously it didn't work. :p
[3]This actually happened OTL, but in our world Mr. Arrillaga's enemies won out and Mexico ended up being delayed about 40 years to get a railroad. Not gonna happen TTL, as you can see.

The next update will mostly be a general one that will cover how the butterflies have been fluttering in other parts of the world. Not gonna be very detailed, save for the section on the United States, if only to deal with what I've already revealed in this update. I'll also cover what has been happening in South America, Africa and Australia, among others.

Last edited:
Yes......yes...... I love the update, man! I do like the little historical in-joke of Iturbide being described as ITTL Mexico's "Imperial President." Keep it up!
slide_2.jpg

Yes......yes...... I love the update, man! I do like the little historical in-joke of Iturbide being described as ITTL Mexico's "Imperial President." Keep it up!

Haha I'm glad you enjoyed it! :) Historical in-jokes are fun, and I couldn't pass it up in regards to Emperor Auggie here, lol :p

Thanks for the support man! I'll make sure to make the war updates extra epic!

"Packenham, who’s own nation would go to war with the United States in the spring of 1839, would constantly council Iturbide against going to war against the United States."

What, what? Was that covered already?

Bruce

Let's hope the war goes well for TTL Mexico.

We shall see ;) thanks Archangel!

"Packenham, who’s own nation would go to war with the United States in the spring of 1839, would constantly council Iturbide against going to war against the United States."

Bruce

Haha apologies, that was a little teaser. I'm going to cover that in the next update...sorry for the confusion :eek:

As always, awesome update Arkhangelsk! Certainly liking where this is heading for Mexico. Though I am a bit worried with the Iturbide serving 16 years? I am guessing that by the end of his rule Mexico will reform a bit with term limits and executive powers. 16 years of centralist rule might not be too great for the country.

Let's hope the war goes well for TTL Mexico.

I'm guessing it will since the TL is about a "Mexico Fuerte!" And it seems the US will be butting heads with Britain at roughly the same time.

Bruce

Prospects for the US certainly don't look too good. Unless the US wins this war - somehow - and ends with a good chunk of Canada. Then you will have a super Mexico and an supper US butting heads soon after. Still awesome!