¡Por la Patria, Viva México Fuerte! A Mexican TL

Dude... finally caught up. Actually, I reread the whole thing because it had been so long. Most excellent, dude!

Thanks for reading it, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it! :)

Also, thanks for everyone who responded to my previous post on returning...jury duty made me forget to respond to the jubilation. >.>

Good news though, I'm nearly finished on the next update, I should hopefully have it up by tonight. Thank you all for your patience!

Thanks for reading it, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it! :)

Also, thanks for everyone who responded to my previous post on returning...jury duty made me forget to respond to the jubilation. >.>

Good news though, I'm nearly finished on the next update, I should hopefully have it up by tonight. Thank you all for your patience!

This is a really great timeline, Arkhangelsk! Sorry about jury duty - that always complicates life. Keep up the great work!

Cheers,
Ganesha

This is a really great timeline, Arkhangelsk! Sorry about jury duty - that always complicates life. Keep up the great work!

Cheers,
Ganesha

Thank you Ganesha! :) and it's alright, it wasn't for terribly long, so I was able to get back to vacation mode, lol. Anyway how've ya been? Well I hope.

Woot! an update soon :D

Hehe yup :D It's taken me a bit longer, this time due to me going to Anime Expo tomorrow. :p I've been working on a cosplay so everything else has been pushed to the backburner. I promise guys, after tomorrow I will be working on stuff here! :eek:

Thank you Ganesha! :) and it's alright, it wasn't for terribly long, so I was able to get back to vacation mode, lol. Anyway how've ya been? Well I hope.

Hehe yup :D It's taken me a bit longer, this time due to me going to Anime Expo tomorrow. :p I've been working on a cosplay so everything else has been pushed to the backburner. I promise guys, after tomorrow I will be working on stuff here! :eek:

Arkhangelsk

Great news.:D Hope the court sessions wasn't too stressful.

Steve

President Henry Clay's First Term: 1825-1829
Finally...UPDATE TIME!!!

I've been stuck on this horrible update for far too long, I think I'll just cut my losses and move on, I don't have all summer! It's not the best update in the world, and I know you guys were expecting much more after months of dead space...hopefully I can make up for it with the next update. :eek:

President Henry Clay's First Term: 1825-1829

497px-Henry_Clay.jpg

Sixth President of the United States, Henry Clay

In 1825 the United States of America was at a crossroads. One year shy of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence, the country had evolved remarkably in the last half century. With a population exceeding 10 million (and steadily growing), spread out over 24 states and 9 territories – from Cuba to the Cascades – the objective for many in Washington was how to best hold this diverse nation together. That task would be handed to the recently inaugurated President of the United States, Henry Clay. Soon following his inauguration in March, President Clay addressed Congress of further uniting the nation under the banner of his proposed “American System.” Clay and his clique of supporters sought to invest in internal improvements, in the same grain as the recently completed Erie Canal in New York State. The American System found support from none other than Clay’s previous electoral adversary, John Quincy Adams, who remained at the post of Secretary of State for the Clay Administration. Both Clay and Adams envisioned the creation of new roads and canals to link the nation together, in the hope to better exploit its great nation potential. Funds were allotted to expand the National Road from its previous terminus at Wheeling, Virginia to the capital of Missouri, Jefferson City. Clay also supported the creation of the Chesapeake Canal, running adjacent to the Potomac River and connecting Washington City to Cumberland, Maryland and thus the National Road. The explicit involvement of the executive branch into the crafting of policy further hastened the fracturing of the Democratic-Republican Party, as the “states’ rights” faction fervently opposed the empowerment of the Federal government. Despite being rather noisy about their opposition towards President Clay’s initiatives, the states’ rights faction in Congress was very decentralized, and for most of Clay’s first term they proved only to be a periodic nuisance to the President, as inter-factional conflict wore on for the remainder of the decade.

The debate over states’ rights was, however, vigorous enough to create a rift between Clay and his Vice President, John C. Calhoun. Calhoun’s home state of South Carolina had become a hotbed for states’ rights fervor, and after a brief visit to his constituency in 1826, Calhoun abruptly shifted from supporting the President’s initiatives to constantly butt heads with the Administration. Calhoun’s estrangement with the Clay Administration reached its breaking point at the start of 1828. Egged on by states’ righters in South Carolina and other parts of the South who opposed Clay’s stance on the tariff (and Clay’s American System in general), Calhoun withdrew his candidacy with Clay in favor of running independently of the President, choosing Virginian John Floyd as his running mate. With the tacit support and encouragement of New York Senator Martin Van Buren, Calhoun presented a serious front against Clay, who now had Adams running as his Vice President. On Election Day 1828, Clay managed to defeat his former Vice President by a healthy margin, with Calhoun only managing to win his home state, as well as Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee and Virginia. Despite the loss, Calhoun and Van Buren had laid the ground work for the official dismemberment of the Democratic-Republican Party. From 1828 onwards, the Calhoun/Van Buren duo of the nascent Democratic Party would rally all other like-minded factions behind them. With the loss of 1828, all eyes were on 1832. For their part, Clay and Adams ran under the banner of the the "National Republican" Party, signifying the total end to the party of Jefferson.

Cuba continued to present somewhat of an anomaly within the wider United States. Unlike the other territories in central and western North America, Cuba’s large and heterogeneous population provided a large obstacle to American authorities seeking to more closely bind the island to the mainland. Cuba was still seething from a violent slave revolt that began in late 1816 and lasted into the summer of 1824, heavily taxing the Americans, and during the latter half of the conflict, the Hispanic white Cubans who had mostly resigned themselves to be part of the United States. One particular episode in the winter of 1818 saw the near destruction of an American Army division, at the infamous Battle of Nuevitas in eastern Cuba, which saw the death of the popular Tennessean General Andrew Jackson.[1] On the political front, the Cuban insurgency caused many in Washington to rethink their Caribbean endeavor. The Monroe Administration at one point was on the verge of abandoning the island, but the timely defection of José Antonio Saco to the Americans greatly bolstered the movement for full annexation. The fact that Saco led the largest white Cuban military faction on the island aided in its eventual pacification, and due to his own political inclinations (he strongly supported American annexation) Saco would become a leading player in Cuba’s territorial development in the 1830’s.[2]

United States Presidential Election, 1828
Preselection1828-1.png

President Henry Clay (NR-KY) / Secretary of State John Quincy Adams (NR-MA): 202 EV
Former Vice-President John Caldwell Calhoun (D-SC) / Representative John Floyd (D-VA): 70 EV

------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] Just tying loose ends here.
[2] I'll go into more detail on this in a future update.

Arkhangelsk

Good to see an update. Things are developing reasonably OTL internally in the US with the very significant change of the inclusion of Cuba and death of Jackson. Possession of Cuba and its pominant Spanish population is going to have impacts. Probably also means a larger US navy than OTL, although that's not saying much. The fact a slave rebellion was only suppressed after hard fighting will also have an impact. Mind you we know from what you're said before things are going to be very different later on.

Steve

Arkhangelsk

Good to see an update. Things are developing reasonably OTL internally in the US with the very significant change of the inclusion of Cuba and death of Jackson. Possession of Cuba and its pominant Spanish population is going to have impacts. Probably also means a larger US navy than OTL, although that's not saying much. The fact a slave rebellion was only suppressed after hard fighting will also have an impact. Mind you we know from what you're said before things are going to be very different later on.

Steve

Indeed Steve, for now the butterflies are somewhat discreet...give us a decade or two and the butterflies will be out in plain view.

Good update, Arkhangelsk!:)

Thanks Archangel! :)

I'm wondering how the language of Cuba will develop. Obviously, with Cuba as part of the United States, there'll be some Spanish-speaking immigration to the United States much earlier than OTL, especially to Florida. With American businesses and slavers moving to and from Cuba, you could have an interesting Spanish-English creole develop in a few Southern US states. I can't see Spanish dying out in Cuba, but I can't see it remaining the sole primary language of the island. Nice update!

I also wanted to say that I just read through the whole timeline again. Your writing style has really improved from the start of the timeline way back in 2010. Then, it was clear, but somewhat cluttered. The quality of this timeline just gets better and better! I'm looking forward to the next update. :)

Cheers,
Ganesha

EDIT: Subscribed!

Last edited:
I'm wondering how the language of Cuba will develop. Obviously, with Cuba as part of the United States, there'll be some Spanish-speaking immigration to the United States much earlier than OTL, especially to Florida. With American businesses and slavers moving to and from Cuba, you could have an interesting Spanish-English creole develop in a few Southern US states. I can't see Spanish dying out in Cuba, but I can't see it remaining the sole primary language of the island. Nice update!

I also wanted to say that I just read through the whole timeline again. Your writing style has really improved from the start of the timeline way back in 2010. Then, it was clear, but somewhat cluttered. The quality of this timeline just gets better and better! I'm looking forward to the next update. :)

Cheers,
Ganesha

EDIT: Subscribed!

You bring up a really interesting point, especially the demographic makeup of both the island and of the American South. Beginning in the 1830's the slaver establishment (both Spanish and American) will try to force off Cuba's disproportionately large black population (which a lot will be going to Mexico). I can see populations of Spanish-speakers emigrating to Florida, as well as Louisiana and maybe Texas. What will be interesting will be the "Cubanified" southerners who will mostly return to the mainland after two or three generations of living on the island. The prospects of a new Spanish-English creole language developing sounds really cool. :)

Also thank you for those kind words (and subscribing! XD), it truly means a lot! I'm glad to hear I've improved, I'll try my best to continue improving. :D

I definitely look forward to the butterflies the Cuban addition to the USA brings on :D

Hehe thanks Zinc! I'll try not to disappoint, I look forward to writing more on Cuba! :D

You bring up a really interesting point, especially the demographic makeup of both the island and of the American South. Beginning in the 1830's the slaver establishment (both Spanish and American) will try to force off Cuba's disproportionately large black population (which a lot will be going to Mexico). I can see populations of Spanish-speakers emigrating to Florida, as well as Louisiana and maybe Texas. What will be interesting will be the "Cubanified" southerners who will mostly return to the mainland after two or three generations of living on the island. The prospects of a new Spanish-English creole language developing sounds really cool. :)

Also thank you for those kind words (and subscribing! XD), it truly means a lot! I'm glad to hear I've improved, I'll try my best to continue improving. :D

Hehe thanks Zinc! I'll try not to disappoint, I look forward to writing more on Cuba! :D

Arkhangelsk

Are you hinting here at an earlier ending of slavery? Especially since you're talking of a lot of the blacks going to Mexico? Otherwise those slaves are a substantial source of wealth, whether working plantations in Cuba or the mainland so I find it difficult to see their owners, or others, wanting to get rid of them?

Going to be interesting the interaction between Latin and Anglo populations but I also see tension as given the presence of a strong Mexico blocking southern expansion how much hostility will the Latino minority in the US face? Going to be at least some distrusting them as potential 5th columns, which can make for a self-fulfilling prophecy, let alone any racial antagonism.

Steve

Arkhangelsk

Are you hinting here at an earlier ending of slavery? Especially since you're talking of a lot of the blacks going to Mexico? Otherwise those slaves are a substantial source of wealth, whether working plantations in Cuba or the mainland so I find it difficult to see their owners, or others, wanting to get rid of them?

Going to be interesting the interaction between Latin and Anglo populations but I also see tension as given the presence of a strong Mexico blocking southern expansion how much hostility will the Latino minority in the US face? Going to be at least some distrusting them as potential 5th columns, which can make for a self-fulfilling prophecy, let alone any racial antagonism.

Steve

Whoops! Thanks for pointing that out Steve. I meant to say Free Blacks, especially those educated and of the mind to bring abolition to the island by any means necessary. I should have been more clear. :eek:

I've been up all night so I'll make a better response in a few hours. ^^

Whoops! Thanks for pointing that out Steve. I meant to say Free Blacks, especially those educated and of the mind to bring abolition to the island by any means necessary. I should have been more clear. :eek:

Arkhangelsk

OK, thanks for clarifying. I thought it sounded a bit odd. Get a few hours good kip. Looking forward to seeing more.

Steve

Okay, gotcha. Cuba's African population was something around 20%, right? How many of them were free?

Cheers,
Ganesha