Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
gs9ofzjygnsz.png

A fun little timeline I cooked up while I'm dealing with Writers block on Killed In Her Cradle. This timeline asks the question, what if the Haitian Revolution Failed? [I made this Timeline in an hour, so it's pretty loose with the butterflies]

Napoleon never loses faith in North America. He never sells La Louisiane to America and loses the War much sooner. They are forced to cede much of their North American Territories to the United Kingdom. These include French Guianna, Saint Domingue, Guadeloupe, Martinique, La Louisiane and The French West Indies.

American Manifest Destiny never gets a chance to start. The War of 1812 ends worse for America, with the Americans losing much of the Illinois, Michigan and Mississippi Territories.

The break-up of Mexico was a large source of expansionism for the British, who were loving for any excuse to increase their holding in North America. Tejas was settled mostly by British instead of Americans in this TL and they were happy to join the British empire, as was their brothers in the Yucatan during the Chaste Wars.

Though Britain wanted to keep a balance of powers in North America and accepted Mexico's border claim with Texas.

Following the British abolition of slavery in 1833, the Colonies of the Southern La Louisianne [British Orleans, West Florida, East Florida and Arkansas] revolt in an effort to establish a republic. Though the British are able to set up an effective blockade and the south loses the war.

The United Kingdom sets up a total of Four Dominion in North America from 1867-1958; The Dominion of Canada, The Dominion of La Louisiane, The Dominion of Newfoundland and the Commonwealth of the West Indies. Similar to how in OTL, Newfoundland joined Canada, this timeline features the Commonwealth of the West Indies joining La Louisiane.

A few other details include the splitting of the Columbia District between a Larger Canada and La Louisiane, A much stronger Mexico and the Construction of the Panama Canal [and following annexation of Panama] by La Louisiane. This Map features the Confederation in the Year 1971 with a population of 107.192 million before Provinces such as Haiti, British Guyana and Belize gained Independence in the 70's and 80's.

Interesting, though I think it's more likely that you'd see 'British Orleans' just called 'Orleans' and British Guyana/British Guianna would probably be Demerara and Cayenne.

Plus Suriname might just be kept as well.

So I made a simple, proper base for the style of solar system map that I think I've uniquely developed. TerranTechnocrat seems to credit me as such and he's used the style to make some killer maps. I guess I should name it something like the Worlda; Solar-A? Solar-G? SolMap? Basic Solar Map (BSM)? I dunno. In any event this should allow people to easily make science fiction maps detailing the state of the Solar System.

I have yet to label it but below they heavenly bodies descend as follows (that was an oddly poetic sentence, aha):
Sun
Mercury
Venus
Earth
Mars
Asteroid Belt
Jupiter
Saturn
Uranus
Neptune
Kuiper Belt (Including Pluto)
Sedna

How about Base Design Solar Map?

In a map I am trying to make, I have African nations joining both the African Union and the Arabian Union too. How will I show this in my map? There isn't any mentions of this in the TACOS color scheme.

In the year 2050, the world slowly turns into a cinder.

Sure, the early two thousands were packed. With the resurgence of Russia, the Middle Eastern Alignment, and several wars in Africa, the world seemed to be gearing up for a new war. In the United States, yeas of subpar presidency lead the country to essentially fester in civil strife. In fact, between the mass deportation of illegal immigrants to Mexico regardless of national origin (a move that was heavily supported by the Republican Party but chastened by nearly everyone else) and growing economic strife, a far right government ended up taking over the rapidly collapsing Mexican government. North Korea went out, not with a bang, but with a whimper, simply surrendering to South Korea after a military coup took out the Kims deep in the night. The PRC, while still "communist," is essentially a capitalist form of government.

And then the war never came.

In 2050, everything is at a standstill. Automation has taken nearly every job there is to have, but Universal Basic Income and such failed to catch on. However, the global population still swelled to over 10 billion. In America, this lead to a generations of people being born and then told that they essentially have no purpose. The suicide rate in elementary schools is as high as the suicide rate in the most strenuous of American high schools in 2017. A similar trend has gripped Europe and China. Net Neutrality is as dead as the telegraph, meaning that the internet is no longer an outlet for those who are dissatisfied with things. In response, police brutality went from being simply a kind of awful fluke to an accepted part of life. Riots and movements for change are stomped out as quickly as they begin. The prison population continues to swell, as the American Prison System is exported into Europe and worldwide. Religion has begun to fade, not into Atheism, but a kind of apatheistic agnosticism, the kind that says "even if there is a God, He doesn't seem to care about us enough to affect our daily lives, so why should we care about Him?"

Russia and China at one point seemed to be nearing a conflict, but ultimately continued funding proxy wars to make sure their top brass got paid so that the governments would remain in power. A similar thing has happened in the Middle East, with ultimately everyone getting enough oil to make it so that they would be able to support enough vehicles. Renewable energy did OK, enough to keep some islands from falling into the ocean, but with the last hurricane season having a hurricane with 300+mph winds make landfall in Savannah, Georgia and burn it's way through Georgia, some are worried it might be coming back. However, for the few islands that still sank, no one would take the refugees, and many ended up disappearing into the sea. It is still better than what happened in Bangladesh, with the country's borders essentially maintained by shooting anyone who looks like they're either about to try to sneak into India or leave Bangladeshi territorial waters.

The only really growing power is Korea, and even then, ever since it failed to woo the ASEAN powers and with many African already having China as a backer, it really doesn't have anywhere to go. Japan is a decrepit state, around a tenth white these days, and pretty much falling apart at the seams as a half forgotten American lapdog.

Space travel never really got popular except for the very rich. No one is willing to scrape together enough money to terraform Mars, and the horrifying failure of the Elon Musk Mars Mission (the entire crew died when the capsule caught fire when it was descending into Martian atmosphere. The entire crew cooked live on the most watched broadcast in the history of humankind). Asteroid mining is a pipe dream of some of the newest dreamers, but no one is really willing to fund them. Most raw material is got by deep-mantle drilling (the core of the Earth has been reached, and some are even calling for the valuable iron and nickel to be mined from it).

And thus, the world slowly burns. Not in nuclear fire, nor in a plague, or famine, or any number of calamities, but simply slowly falling apart.

And if you were to ask anyone, they would say it's not sad anymore.

upload_2017-10-24_10-30-47.png

View attachment 350672

Dang, that's dark.

It really reminds me of if Fallout's Great War never came, but far more civil war, lack of resources, and chaos, not this slow downfall.

Nuclear War seem, to be honestly, to be needed to in order to hit the human rest switch, or do something like Deus Ex Dark Age ending by destroying the global communications hub, and the Internet.

Dang, that's dark.

It really reminds me of if Fallout's Great War never came, but far more civil war, lack of resources, and chaos, not this slow downfall.

Nuclear War seem, to be honestly, to be needed to in order to hit the human rest switch, or do something like Deus Ex Dark Age ending by destroying the global communications hub, and the Internet.

I mean, there is a lot of chaos, just it tends to be met with just as strong of a government pushback. Ultimately I tried to make something that was dark and yet not edgy, sort of a Halloween challenge. And I mean, in a ton of maps there's these massive sweeping global changes and I wanted to make a plausible world where those kind of things just fizzle out

I mean, there is a lot of chaos, just it tends to be met with just as strong of a government pushback. Ultimately I tried to make something that was dark and yet not edgy, sort of a Halloween challenge. And I mean, in a ton of maps there's these massive sweeping global changes and I wanted to make a plausible world where those kind of things just fizzle out

Hm. A technological blackout still might be the best outcome for your world to save it from itself.

Deleted member 94708

Alas, it has been once again delayed because of paid commissions being higher priority.

Understandable, just wanted to see whether I'd missed it.

Revenue-generating activities come first; if I could afford it I'd throw a commission your way but my wife and I just bought a home and the cupboard is pretty bare...

Fucking hell, that might be the edgiest thing I've seen on here, and I was in Neu Stuttgart.
Lol is that a complement? :p
Hm. A technological blackout still might be the best outcome for your world to save it from itself.
I feel like it would need a total societal collapse.
Great map, but you do know that it is far easier to mine asteroids than reaching the Earths core?
Yeah, but space travel in this world is pretty thoroughly discredited as the dangerous endeavour of confused psychopaths and optimists and so ultimately just mining "deeper" is seen as a better option. Plus it employs more people, and ultimately it was selected towards by most government's

Very dystopian, and I like the ethos of minimalist change, but I have to take issue with ...

Yeah, but space travel in this world is pretty thoroughly discredited as the dangerous endeavour of confused psychopaths and optimists and so ultimately just mining "deeper" is seen as a better option. Plus it employs more people, and ultimately it was selected towards by most government's

Mining the core would be straight-up impossible. It's about the same temperature as the surface of the sun, approx 4-5,000 Degrees C, which is hotter than the melting point of basically every compound we currently posses. Anything we tried to lower in to mine or harvest the core would just dissolve in it, effectively. And that's not even taking account of the mind-bendingly high pressure, or the similarly hellish conditions just getting through the mantle. I'd even say that mining the mantle would be impossible.

If you just want to discredit asteroid mining, deeper crustal mining (think some of South Africa's deeper diamond mines, or possibly the depth of the Kola borehole) to access the stuff too deep to currently be economically feasible to extract, plus just strip-mining the stuff currently under rainforests and the like should be enough to keep things going for a few more decades without asteroid mining.

On an unrelated note, what does it say about me that I actually half expect Musk's Mars effort to fail that spectacularly?

Damn, I'm a pessimist.

Sure, the early two thousands were packed. With the resurgence of Russia, the Middle Eastern Alignment, and several wars in Africa, the world seemed to be gearing up for a new war. In the United States, yeas of subpar presidency lead the country to essentially fester in civil strife. In fact, between the mass deportation of illegal immigrants to Mexico regardless of national origin (a move that was heavily supported by the Republican Party but chastened by nearly everyone else) and growing economic strife, a far right government ended up taking over the rapidly collapsing Mexican government. North Korea went out, not with a bang, but with a whimper, simply surrendering to South Korea after a military coup took out the Kims deep in the night. The PRC, while still "communist," is essentially a capitalist form of government.

And then the war never came.

In 2050, everything is at a standstill. Automation has taken nearly every job there is to have, but Universal Basic Income and such failed to catch on. However, the global population still swelled to over 10 billion. In America, this lead to a generations of people being born and then told that they essentially have no purpose. The suicide rate in elementary schools is as high as the suicide rate in the most strenuous of American high schools in 2017. A similar trend has gripped Europe and China. Net Neutrality is as dead as the telegraph, meaning that the internet is no longer an outlet for those who are dissatisfied with things. In response, police brutality went from being simply a kind of awful fluke to an accepted part of life. Riots and movements for change are stomped out as quickly as they begin. The prison population continues to swell, as the American Prison System is exported into Europe and worldwide. Religion has begun to fade, not into Atheism, but a kind of apatheistic agnosticism, the kind that says "even if there is a God, He doesn't seem to care about us enough to affect our daily lives, so why should we care about Him?"

Russia and China at one point seemed to be nearing a conflict, but ultimately continued funding proxy wars to make sure their top brass got paid so that the governments would remain in power. A similar thing has happened in the Middle East, with ultimately everyone getting enough oil to make it so that they would be able to support enough vehicles. Renewable energy did OK, enough to keep some islands from falling into the ocean, but with the last hurricane season having a hurricane with 300+mph winds make landfall in Savannah, Georgia and burn it's way through Georgia, some are worried it might be coming back. However, for the few islands that still sank, no one would take the refugees, and many ended up disappearing into the sea. It is still better than what happened in Bangladesh, with the country's borders essentially maintained by shooting anyone who looks like they're either about to try to sneak into India or leave Bangladeshi territorial waters.

The only really growing power is Korea, and even then, ever since it failed to woo the ASEAN powers and with many African already having China as a backer, it really doesn't have anywhere to go. Japan is a decrepit state, around a tenth white these days, and pretty much falling apart at the seams as a half forgotten American lapdog.

Space travel never really got popular except for the very rich. No one is willing to scrape together enough money to terraform Mars, and the horrifying failure of the Elon Musk Mars Mission (the entire crew died when the capsule caught fire when it was descending into Martian atmosphere. The entire crew cooked live on the most watched broadcast in the history of humankind). Asteroid mining is a pipe dream of some of the newest dreamers, but no one is really willing to fund them. Most raw material is got by deep-mantle drilling (the core of the Earth has been reached, and some are even calling for the valuable iron and nickel to be mined from it).

And thus, the world slowly burns. Not in nuclear fire, nor in a plague, or famine, or any number of calamities, but simply slowly falling apart.

And if you were to ask anyone, they would say it's not sad anymore.

View attachment 350672
Automation is truly scaring me

And that although I'm still in high school and should worry about completely different things

...the Internet is depressing ;-;

Status
Not open for further replies.