These Fair Shores: The Commonwealth of New England

Kvf6LEF.png
yoI7kI7.png
U0TKJOd.png

jlXMXr1.png

ejzxQaR.png

m1RhFTy.png
So, in TTL Russian Empire the law of succession to the throne only through the male line was repealed sometime in XX century?
And, I think, Grand Duchesse Natasha Romanova would be Natalia Romanova, Natasha is a diminutive name, not official. And it is it is hard to imagine an atheist Russian heir of throne, because OTL since Peter I times Emperor was also (nominal, but...) head of the Russian Orthodox Church, and Patriarchate of Moscow was restored only after the Revolution.

Any Grand Duchess born after 1993 can't be the religious head of the Russian Orthodox Church, all they know is atheism, charge they phone, twerk, be bisexual, eat hot Christmas Tinner, and blue hairdye.

(Seriously though, I am fascinated by this family and the evolving story of their family conflict).

Last edited:
Love the piece on the Grand Duchesse, I wonder if we'll see an Empress & Empress Consort as ruling couple in Russia!

Someone mentioned that it's good to see non-Western government structures in TTL such as Chia. The TL also deserves praise for the way African and Indonesian areas are governed. The West thinks in countries but these native societies don't think in nations but tribes meanwhile OTL Africa was forced within Western-style borders.

What happened to Nicholas son Alexi?

Died in 1931 from complications with his hemophilia. Upon his death, George Alexandrovich became the Tsesarevich, until he was killed commanding soldiers on the front against the French. Michael Alexandrovich then became the Tsesarevich, though he promptly relinquished his right to the throne. Again the position travelled to Kirill Vladimirovich, until the late 1930s when he died. Tsar Nicholas II, after a long period of palace intrigue and fighting within the Royal Family, modified the Pauline Laws to be absolute primogeniture, which finally resulted in

So, in TTL Russian Empire the law of succession to the throne only through the male line was repealed sometime in XX century?
And, I think, Grand Duchesse Natasha Romanova would be Natalia Romanova, Natasha is a diminutive name, not official. And it is it is hard to imagine an atheist Russian heir of throne, because OTL since Peter I times Emperor was also (nominal, but...) head of the Russian Orthodox Church, and Patriarchate of Moscow was restored only after the Revolution.

Correct, the law of succession was modified per the above.

It is, in fact, Natasha. That is her full, legal name as recorded on government documents. This is not a mistake, and was intentional on the part of Vladimir. You are correct on the Russian Orthodox Church having a problem with a potential atheist inheriting the throne - both the article on Natasha and Vladimir discuss this partially. The Holy Synod does indeed still exist, and they are acuetly aware of the problems they will face with the eventual passing of Tsar Nicholas III

Love the piece on the Grand Duchesse, I wonder if we'll see an Empress & Empress Consort as ruling couple in Russia!

Someone mentioned that it's good to see non-Western government structures in TTL such as Chia. The TL also deserves praise for the way African and Indonesian areas are governed. The West thinks in countries but these native societies don't think in nations but tribes meanwhile OTL Africa was forced within Western-style borders.

Who knows, we just might!

Thank you very much! I'll try and showcase more of these in the future, there is a lot of non-Western and non-Westphalian influences in These Fair Shores, so it's good to see they are shining through

end even TTL, Russian Elite loves to rest (and study) in Dubai, as I can see....
but, really, why not Moscow or St.Petersburg University?

end even TTL, Russian Elite loves to rest (and study) in Dubai, as I can see....
but, really, why not Moscow or St.Petersburg University?
My assumption would be that Australia offers a more liberal atmosphere for her studies. Either that or she wanted to follow her father into a British-style university but couldn't get into Oxford or Cambridge.

Either way, congrats to @CosmicAsh for a cool twist on a surviving Russian Empire. I like the idea that the progressive opinion in Russia would be pro-Tsarist and the conservative one republican.

My assumption would be that Australia offers a more liberal atmosphere for her studies. Either that or she wanted to follow her father into a British-style university but couldn't get into Oxford or Cambridge.

Either way, congrats to @CosmicAsh for a cool twist on a surviving Russian Empire. I like the idea that the progressive opinion in Russia would be pro-Tsarist and the conservative one republican.
It seems more complex than that admittedly

Thank you!! I do enjoy Russia's overall standing quite well. As for Natasha, she went to study in Australia because she travelled there a few times with her father and loved the country, much like how her father enjoyed his time in Britain.

Seeing as Alexei lived until 27, did he ever marry or was engaged?

No, he was far too sickly in his mid-20s to get engaged or anything, as his heath took priority over all other matters.