These Fair Shores: The Commonwealth of New England

IRL, Corsican went from having a 85% transmission rate to a 30% one in the span of 20 years between 1914 and 1934;

View attachment 838201

Many studies of turn of the century/early 20th french languages report that families where the younger siblings couldn’t speak the local language while the older sibling of the same familly could were a common occurrences.

Transmission breakdown can happen very quickly within a generation. And once there is a transmission breakdown you just have to wait a lifetime to see an extremely quick collapse of speakers of a language, this has affected many languages and still affects many languages, the first generation after a quick transmission breakdown usually keeps a good level of passive understanding but is rarely comfortable with using their ancestral language for everyday life’s

IRL quick Gallicisation affected most peripherical french cities uniformly (with some exceptions) from the start of the third republic and urban inter generational transmission of local languages had mostly stopped by 1900, the Rhineland being very urbanised, and considering TFS France was more politically stable and developped. I think it’s plausible such transmissions breakdown had been accomplished in the Rhineland by 1900, add 40 years and the working population is mostly francophone.
Corsica and the Rhineland are two entirely different beasts though. Corsica had 160,000 people in 1815 whilst the Rhineland at the same time count 3 and a half million.

Corsica and the Rhineland are two entirely different beasts though. Corsica had 160,000 people in 1815 whilst the Rhineland at the same time count 3 and a half million.
And? Cultural change happening quicker in the more populated cities than in the less populated countryside is a near-universal constant.

Language changes start from the cities, Rhineland is urbanised, Corsica at the time wasn’t nearly as much and is mountainous (something which keeps language alive through isolation). We’re not talking about a change that is mainly driven by popualtion replacement but one that is mostly driven by language change within a same population. You can see from the graph that Breton and Alsatian followed similar trends (alsacien was of course a special case) just a different rates

Of course german nationalism which was strong in the Rhineland would slow this down but then it’s an AH I don’t know the specifics.

What ludicrous sources are you reading that defined the population of the Rhineland to 3.500.000 in 1815?

The left-bank area defined for Prussia at the Congress of Vienna came out to be ~~1 million.
1686933236491.png

According to Wikipedia, the entirety left bank territory when France annexed it was 1.6 million.

What ludicrous sources are you reading that defined the population of the Rhineland to 3.500.000 in 1815?

The left-bank area defined for Prussia at the Congress of Vienna came out to be ~~1 million.
View attachment 838305

According to Wikipedia, the entirety left bank territory when France annexed it was 1.6 million.
From Reich to State by Michael Rowe states that nearly 3 and a half million Germans lived In the Rhenish regions. I don't know where he gets his numbers from, however TC Blannings The French Revolution In Germany mentions that french records deliberately low balled population numbers not just in annexed regions in Germany, but also in Belgium and the Netherlands and Catalonia.
And? Cultural change happening quicker in the more populated cities than in the less populated countryside is a near-universal constant.

Language changes start from the cities, Rhineland is urbanised, Corsica at the time wasn’t nearly as much and is mountainous (something which keeps language alive through isolation). We’re not talking about a change that is mainly driven by popualtion replacement but one that is mostly driven by language change within a same population. You can see from the graph that Breton and Alsatian followed similar trends (alsacien was of course a special case) just a different rates

Of course german nationalism which was strong in the Rhineland would slow this down but then it’s an AH I don’t know the specifics.
Fair enough.

From Reich to State by Michael Rowe states that nearly 3 and a half million Germans lived In the Rhenish regions.
1686940020649.png

You're misreading this passage. It's not 3.5 million, it's 2 million (of which 1.5 million of that are Catholics), and it includes the entirety of the Rhenish provinces which includes territory on the right bank of the Rhine. If it was 3.5 million, then millions of babies vanished between 1815 and 1864.

That 1 million on the left bank that I posted earlier is probably more accurate. And if you include the other German polities that got Rhinish territory, it probably gets much closer to the 1.6 million from the original French figure.

Last edited:
Love it! Don't recall seeing it in any of the BBC sidebar articles, but was Tory also felled by a sex scandal ITTL like his OTL counterpart (timing just about lines up, give or take a week - turns out the Mayor having an affair with a City staff subordinate is frowned upon!)? Also, I'm kinda surprised that Queen's University and TTL's Kingston and the Islands equivalent went National and United Canada respectively, considering they're quite Liberal OTL (but then again, the Coalition is probably a lot different than the OTL Tories...).

Yet another wonderful update, @CosmicAsh!

I'm wondering how Hudson Bay Company survived in the past centuries, despite the formation of Canada.

What places in Canada where a Silicon Valley-like tech centers will be located?

A Canadian PM from the Parti Québécois analoge?
[my traditional reaction to this TL realities] AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Could be more similar to the German CSU in function, considering it is in "the Coalition" with the United Canada Party, which appear to be the right wing/conservative.

I saw it as something like OTL Australia's Liberals and Nationals, myself...

Sure, but Liberals and Nationals do run in the same States, unlike CDU/CSU of OTL Germany and United/National of TFS Canada, where the latter only runs in a single state/province while the former does not run in said province.