Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I'm new here, and I figured I would post my Ocean ISOTs here, starting with the Atlantics. I split them into two to make it more interesting.
I enjoy'd looking at these maps. I have a question - how far inland from the actual ocean was taken along on the ISOT? Is it like, 'all of a nation that borders the Atlantic, except for its subdivisions which border another ocean/sea'?

Mama Mia that is a Italian mess and I'm loving it, can't say the same for my former Italian uncle/ close family friend but still this would be a interesting world, especialy as both radical Italies are clearly locked on their islands and have fewer populations, so they can serve as a evil bogeyman, but pose no true danger and threat I assume (except with soft power and infiltration of parties and groups in the main Federal Republci of Italy. This might make for a very interesting Italian timeline for sure.

Well it's funny that Sardinia is the communist state, after all the PCI higher up gone to Tirana in the 70's described the place as Sardinia (at the time on of the poorest and most retrograde part of Italy) but with bunker and communism

1655842067996.png

With the discovery of Fusang [1] and the prevalent possibilities of grandeur and undiscovered goods, various Kongsi departed northward, eastward and southward in hopes of finding the safest and most desirable passage to the distant continent. The Pearl Commission, which was still in its infancy, began to establish expeditions northward, and eventually discovered Northwestern Fusang [1] . This lead to massive colonial expeditions northward into the Mányí zhī dì [2] setting up colonial armies centered in minuscule barracks that would venture outwards into distant territories if need be. With the discovery of Gold and Coal within Mányí zhī dì [2] the Pearl Commission established massive colonial ventures into the distant lands, finding the Beifang Ocean [3] and eventually initiating wars of conquest against the nations of Rìběn [4]. Soon enough, the massive Kongsi established the Liánjiē tǔdì. The Kongsi is one of the strongest competitors for trade in the Méiguī Ocean [4] despite countless raids of piracy, nations of the Fusang [1], other Kongsi, and other Nations.

Trivia: The Pearl Commission was originally a minor commission based in the Shanghai region that acted as a company that would transport Chinese vendors to trading nations and vice versa.

Continuation Post for the Song Industrializes TL.
[1] Fusang - TTL's name of America (Yes, both North and South)
[2] Mányí zhī dì - TTL's name of Siberia, alternatively called Land of Barbarians
[3] Beifang Ocean - TTL's name of the Arctic Ocean
[4] Rìběn - TTL's name of Japan

1655843480026.png

By the 1300s, China has been Industrialized for more than 200 years. Southeast Asia is unrecognizable to how it was prior - the complete destruction of the natural enviornment and landscape caused by the urbanization, air pollution, and coal use. Trees blackened, societies collapsed, and Southeast Asia suffered a complete decline. Vietnam, which was at the time apart of China, underwent a complete societal change underneath China's footsteps. What would be called 'Communism' in our world was called trạng thái chung, or alternatively, the common state. Vietnam eventually underwent a Revolution of Trạng Thái Chung, formally abolishing industrial sectors in their nation, with hopes of inspiring other Southeast Asian nations to do the same or similar.

This is a continuation of the Song Industrializes TL.

I enjoy'd looking at these maps. I have a question - how far inland from the actual ocean was taken along on the ISOT? Is it like, 'all of a nation that borders the Atlantic, except for its subdivisions which border another ocean/sea'?
Pretty much. Also any inland areas with a river that drains into ISOT'd Ocean.

View attachment 752261

By the 1300s, China has been Industrialized for more than 200 years. Southeast Asia is unrecognizable to how it was prior - the complete destruction of the natural enviornment and landscape caused by the urbanization, air pollution, and coal use. Trees blackened, societies collapsed, and Southeast Asia suffered a complete decline. Vietnam, which was at the time apart of China, underwent a complete societal change underneath China's footsteps. What would be called 'Communism' in our world was called trạng thái chung, or alternatively, the common state. Vietnam eventually underwent a Revolution of Trạng Thái Chung, formally abolishing industrial sectors in their nation, with hopes of inspiring other Southeast Asian nations to do the same or similar.

This is a continuation of the Song Industrializes TL.
As a Vietnamese, " Trạng Thái Chung" is a super weird name for a Vietnamese state; how'd you arrive at this etymological conclusion?

Just a large scale migration. Yakuts have pretty good birthrates, so over the next several centuries their population outgrew that of Russians in Siberia (which they didn't even own anymore). Then in 2700s-3200s it just took a couple outside invasions and changes in climate to make them spill out into Europe.
By the way, what happened to Slovenia? Judging from the context, it joined Croatia after the Serbo-Croatian War in Bosnia, but that seems kind of random, no?

Speaking of which, the Indian Ocean:

ZkIpKjDArA9meVFHoVJOcEMN0qDiDshFrO80_ynVzO-fuG1KwwEWP8qFo8WdlH0DQ_rZSSYF9KaDmPKxXD6b2gWyrFW-Ayz2H-pkeCP9qrXCFX0cR-h6SQkWNs3glTwYD4g-vRrz7z_47Hgzew

Despite the loss of their Atlantic Coast, South Africa still managed to stay as Africa's regional power, shortly re-establishing themselves in the Atlantic and went further across to make themselves at the Rio de la Plata Estuary. They also decided to settle the Kalahari Desert to get those sweet sweet diamonds, but Zimbabwe, jealous that it's always the 1st world countries who get the good resources, ended up taking some as well. Meanwhile, Zambia was just motivated on one thing: Copper. Up north, Sudan's large expansion to the Mediterranean was not well received by the reformed Egyptian government in Suez, who didn't want to be in Khartoum's shadow for once.

The rivalry between Saudi Arabia and Iran was reignited by the near loss of the US. While Tehran was expanding their borders, Riyadh was trying to expand its influence on the Surrounding lands. It first started with putting the remnants of the Levant into its sphere, and while it worked with Aqaba, it didn't for Eilat, which was trying to rebuild Jerusalem and re-establish Judaism as a world Religion. South of Arabia, Yemen and Somalia - you guessed it - exploded, with Riyadh taking over North Yemen in its goal of spreading influence, while Somalia was shattered, with Abu Dhabi, Nairobi and Addis Ababa thinking it would be a good time to intervene.

With little areas for expansion, India instead turned to expanding its realm and establishing dominance under the world. It is the Indian Ocean, after all. New Delhi started by bringing its bordering nations under its influence, before intervening in several wars and sending exports all over the world. While Sri Jayawardenapura Kotte, Kathmandu, Thimphu, Male and Dhaka ultimately fell into Indian submission, Islamabad and Naypyidaw refused to, instead deciding to go their own ways. Pakistan found itself squashed by the Hindu Kush, while Myanmar expanded itself alongside the Chao Phraya and Mekong, an act not welcomed by the reformed Thai government in Phuket. The virgin Indochina gave the Rohingyas the chance to escape genocide, forming the nation of New Arakan on the Red River. Even after an Indian-assisted coup that led to autonomy being granted to non-Bamar areas, they still stayed there. Below them, Indonesia was trying its best to rival New Delhi as the major power of the Indian Ocean, but ended up being in competition with Malaysia & Singapore, while Mauritius decided to act on its claim to the British Indian Ocean Territory, successfully conquering the territory in under 3 days.

The Americans, now having nowhere to observe the political situation, decided to travel across the Timor Sea and established a Colony in Arnhem Land, which led to some ire from the Aussies. Speaking of which, Australia had a hard time trying to pull itself together, arguing whether it should be led from Perth or Adelaide. History repeated, and eventually a new capital city was constructed, named Noongaria after the dominant Indigenous population. With the capital city issue solved, the Australian remnants went out to resettle their Wild East.

Last edited:
By the way, what happened to Slovenia? Judging from the context, it joined Croatia after the Serbo-Croatian War in Bosnia, but that seems kind of random, no?
Not immediately after the war, but yes it joined Croatia as a very loose autonomy. No particular reason I thought of, I just didn't want to draw one more ball.
What happens post-5000 here?
A long plateau of bronze age level tech and society.

Also, just realized something: The future scenario by @Vonga-vonga could be a possible solution to the Fermi Paradox in how it shows a possibility that technological civilization is doomed to collapse back to a pre-industrial state.

Also, just realized something: The future scenario by @Vonga-vonga could be a possible solution to the Fermi Paradox in how it shows a possibility that technological civilization is doomed to collapse back to a pre-industrial state.
Personally, I don't believe that humanity, or any civilization, is able to technologically regress further back than the early 1900s, if at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.