Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes VI (Do Not Post Current Politics or Political Figures Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 1976 a bladerless Hubert Humphrey finally wins the White House. His first two years in office are a progressive's dream come true. An expansive health care reform bill makes its way through Congress and becomes law. He champions the (albeit tortured) ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment. In 1978, the Republicans find themselves with their greatest Congressional numbers in decades, but their excitement dims when Humphrey narrowly defeats Ronald Reagan in 1980 to earn a second term in office.

Come 1984, the Republican Party turns to a young rising star, the 43-year old Senator Buddy Cianci. With the backing of former President Ford and his connections, Cianci skates through the invisible primary and becomes the nominee. In the general election against Vice President Fred Harris, he gains the support of ethnic Whites and those exhausted from the persistent drumbeat of social progress. He promises to keep the status quo - in a sort of Ike-like fashion. He won't repeal Humphrey's legislative efforts, but he's not going to continue them. His youth and optimism help him to score an Ike-like landslide.

qfQ8Sre.png

QZ0CDiI.png
When George Lucas sold Lucasfilm to Disney in 2012, no one knew what would come next, only that Disney would surely be making new Star Wars movies. They soon confirmed their plans to make a new trilogy of movie set after the events of the original trilogy. Although George Lucas had left them scripts, outlines, and other scattered notes for his various visions of a sequel trilogy, Disney decided to scrap these ideas and start anew. They brought on Michael Arndt (Toy Story 3, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire) to write a new screenplay. Then they set about to find the director who would helm this massive project. The main candidates were Jon Favreau, Brad Bird, David Fincher, and J.J. Abrams. Favreau had major successes with the Iron Man and John Carter franchises, both of which were at this point under the Disney umbrella. However, he declined in order to focus on his other projects, having been burned out by his previous work with major franchises, all of which had been much smaller undertakings than Star Wars. Bird had done numerous successful animated films, including The Incredibles and The Incredibles 2 for Pixar, but his live action career didn't have the same amount of success, with 1906 having a complicated production process and Tomorrowland flopping at the box office. J.J. Abrams seemed to be the top choice at one point, but he was under contract to make Star Trek 3 and did not want to operate two major franchises at the same time.

After he withdrew himself from consideration, Disney approached Fincher again. Fincher already had a connection to the franchise, having been an assistant cameraman on Return of the Jedi and worked for Industrial Light & Magic early in his career. However, Fincher passed on Episode VII the first time he was approached, due to his concerns about not being able to tell the type of story he wanted and the massive expectations of producing a major blockbuster for the new studio. In early 2014, numerous more candidates had been rumored to pass on the project including Steven Spielberg, Ron Howard, Christopher Nolan, and Guillermo del Toro. Disney CEO Bob Iger was increasing pressure on Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy to get production underway, due to his desire to have at least two films in the trilogy complete before his retirement. Kennedy was ordered to approach earlier choices again with promises of directorial freedom and high budgets. After another meeting with Kennedy, David Fincher accepted the position and was announced in March 2014.

Fincher met with Arndt and began revising the script immediately. Casting was soon underway and that July, a full cast announcement took place at San Diego Comic-Con. Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford all announced their return, and Karen Gillan, Daisy Ridley, and John Boyega were introduced as the three main cast members, Benjamin Walker as the villain, with Oscar Isaac and Ben Daniels in undisclosed roles. The film was scheduled for a tentative release date of Christmas 2015.

Principal photography began the following month and was scheduled to last four months. However, production was plagued by delays and was soon extended into early 2015. Due to studio demands from Disney, numerous story changes forced reshoots and constructions of new sets. Lawrence Kasdan was brought in to do script rewrites and directed scenes Fincher was unavailable for due to the overstretched schedule, against Fincher's wishes. Fincher reportedly threatened to quit numerous times and filming paused for one month in early February. During this time, it was apparent that the film would not be completed in time for the scheduled release date, and the release was soon moved back to May 2016, the 39th anniversary of the first Star Wars film. In February 2015, J.J. Abrams was fired from the production of Star Trek 3 and Bob Iger asked Kathleen Kennedy to replace Fincher with Abrams. However, Abrams declined to take over the project due to how much work had already been completed and refused to finish another director's work. Fincher returned to set in March 2016 and filming concluded late in April.

On May 4, 2015, the title of the film was announced to be Star Wars: Aftermath in the first teaser trailer. Fincher directed two weeks of reshoots in June 2015 and began overseeing the editing process with his long time collaborators Angus Wall and Kirk Baxter. However, Fincher refused to make edits demanded by the studio to reduce the runtime and officially quit in October 2015. Upon Kathleen Kennedy's request, Steven Spielberg came in to complete further reshoots and oversee the final editing process. Spielberg brought the runtime down to 146 minutes, short of Fincher's cut which was reportedly 165 to 170 minutes long.

Despite the complicated and arduous production, Aftermath was released on May 25, 2016, as planned, and opened to major critical and audience acclaim. The film became a major box office success, quickly passing $1 billion internationally. It ended up grossing over $1 billion in the United States and Canada, and a further $1 billion internationally, crossing $2 billion and becoming the third and later second-highest grossing film of all time, surpassing Titanic and being behind only Avatar. It is now third again, having been surpassed by Avengers: Endgame.

David Fincher has said very little about his work on the film, and did not make another film for six years. In a 2019 interview shortly before the release of Episode VIII, Fincher stated he "would never work with Disney again" and disavowed blockbuster franchise work. In 2022, while promoting his new film Mank, he said it was a "miracle it came out as well as it did" and "80-90 percent of [his] vision survived, thankfully." Disney also did not comment much on the production process. During the promotional campaign for Aftermath, Kathleen Kennedy said "he did a tremendous job, but we had differences which we had to resolve separately rather than together." Controversially, George Lucas told a reporter "David's original cut was very good, I enjoyed that movie a lot but I enjoyed the one we got too." This led to fans starting a campaign to "release the Fincher Cut" on social media. Fincher rejected these calls and expressed a desire for the final cut to be the only available version of the film. Upon his retirement from Disney in 2020, Bob Iger said he would not invite Fincher to work another project, but that the studio was "indebted" to him for starting the modern Star Wars franchise.
Does It still follow Force Awakens plot?

THE AMERICAN ENGINE
(PART I)

Fellow citizens of this great Republic, America has fallen. It has fallen far from the great and shining tower it once inhabited. Its wealth, its prosperity, its very sense of morality? Squandered. And worse, stolen! Why yes my dear citizens, for this Depression we find ourselves in, is not simply a product of negligence, but one of sabotage! There are elements within our society which for too long have gone uncalled and unnamed, but who have done everything in their power to pocket your money, corrupt your morals, and erase your God. But no longer, I call out the crooks from Washington, the Bolsheviks, the agitators and all other undesirables, and I say to them: No more!

My friends, my fellow countrymen, I stand before you today not only as a captain of industry, but as a true American. We share one language, one God and yes, one race. And one truth! And that truth is that we’re in need of a national restoration! We must restore America, not only its economy, a job for which I am certainly more than qualified, but its very soul. I urge all true Americans: This election, stand with me, stand with truth, stand with Henry Ford.

Ford’s Presidential Campaign announcement - Dearborn, Michigan, February 21, 1932

-------------------

Did you hear that racist Ford on the Radio? There’s no way man, the Democrats are going to stomp his ass.

------------------

Al Smith has preserved his lead both for nomination and White House as Roosevelt Bid fails to materialize.

New York Times – March 4, 1932

-----------------

I believe that there is no more pressing matter to this campaign than that of ending Prohibition.

Former Governor Al Smith – March 11, 1932

----------------

Prohibition? Who gives a fuck about that? Talk about employment!

----------------

Al Smith represents exactly what is wrong with this country. He’s as corrupt as they come. And that issues runs on both parties, let me tell you. Henry Ford is here to clean the mess that people like Smith created in the first place.

Ford’s Campaign Manager Ernest G. Liebold – April 14, 1932

----------------

I am confident in the path we’re headed. The current economic malaise will be corrected not trough radicalism, but sound policies.

President Herbert Hoover – May 11, 1932

--------------

Forward America, Forward with Ford! Forward Forever Free! Friend of the worker, of you and me, captain of industry!

Forward with Ford, presidential campaign song

--------------

ROOSEVELT DEAD: New York Governor passes away after long battle with Polio.

New York Times – June 3, 1932

--------------

SMITH WINS NOMINATION: Picks Cactus Jack for Vice President.

New York Times – June 27, 1932

---------------

I do not hide the fact that I support Henry Ford for President. I can no longer in good conscience support the Democratic Party, or the Republican Party for that matter. We have a chance to restore America to what it once was, and for that, Ford’s the man. He has my full and unrestricted backing, that’s for sure.

William Randolph Hearst – July 1, 1932

--------------

Jesus can a guy find a paper or a radio that isn’t blasting us with Ford this, Ford that? All the day its Ford Ford Ford…

--------------

A nation, much like a company, is like a machine. It only functions properly when all of its parts function properly. Those at its head, the leading men, the businessmen, must make sure that its hands and legs, the workers, the common man, have what they need to operate. As the President of the Ford Motor Company, I always made sure that workers were well compensated, and they made sure of the same for me. So shall it be with our country, we shall all bask in prosperity soon enough.

Henry Ford speech – July 2, 1932

--------------

I always stood with the common man, the farmer, the worker. I fought corruption in Washington as a Senator, and, if the people will have me, I will fight it as Vice President.

Senator Burton K. Wheeler – July 4, 1932

-------------
1645519070022.png

With Wheeler on ticket, Ford may have Farmer-Labor Midwest Coalition on pocket

The Iowa Independent – July 6, 1932

-------------

Ford ahead on Poll, 7 points lead on Smith.

New York Times – August 18, 1932

-------------

I am appalled by the fact that a racist, an antisemite, and a Jackboot lover is running. I’m more appalled by the fact half my family is voting for him!

-------------

The colored vote? Well, let me say that Henry Ford will be President for all true Americans.

Ford’s Campaign Manager Ernest G. Liebold – September 3, 1932

-------------

He knows how to run a business, why not the Presidency, that can’t be so hard, we had men like Harding there, after all.

------------

Hoover’s a Washington crook and I don’t like Ford but Smith’s a papist, and we’ve all read about them in the papers. He gets his orders from Rome. Now I’m no bigot, but Ford at least is an honest man.
1645519095680.png

1645519122450.png

rTuBejF.png

Inspired by the brilliant And All Nations Shall Gather To It by @Rdffigueira

Following the conquest of the Maghreb, Muslim chroniclers would divide the local population into three distinct categories. The Greek-speaking administrative and military elite tended to be of foreign origin from the Eastern Roman Empire and were thus classified as the Rûm. The Romanised population became the Afāriqah, denoting the name of the province of Africa (later dubbed Ifriqiya). Meanwhile the various non-Romanised local groups such as the Hawwara, Zenata, Sanhaja etc would be classified as the Barbar/Berbers. Although this is quite a broad characterization of matter with the boundaries between groups often being rather fluid and significant evidence suggesting that the actual classification of the Berbers was a much longer process, it provides a degree of insight into the social dynamics of the early Islamic Maghreb.

Contemporary sources, however, indicate that the Afāriqah of the Caliphate were not the same as the Afri of the Empire, with the former having befallen terrible circumstances under the Muslim conquest. Indeed, such a premise appears to resonate with the narrative of Muslim armies razing Carthage and the deeply negative consequences and ramifications attributed to this event. It has been argued as a counter that Muslim rule actually revived and revitalized many of the classic cities of the Maghreb, indeed the ruins of Carthage and the new city of Tunis remained close, both geographically and culturally. It is perhaps problematic to rely on sources with quite evident anti-Muslim characters.

Nevertheless, Islamic rule was hardly intent on preserving Romanity. Urban life in North Africa was effectively transformed under an Islamic vision, with the Mosque being established as the central meeting place rather then the Roman model of temples and law courts surrounded by markets and baths. The new elite would be largely Arab or of the various Berber groups, with the latter co-opting Islam as a fundamental aspect of their identity. The Roman Christian character that once dominated urban life quickly eroded. The language of generations of Roman rule, African Romance, declined into obscurity before totally disappearing. Christianity that had once been preeminent had been effectively reduced to residual communities scattered across the Maghreb. The region that had once been a center of Roman politics and Christian theology appeared to have become a firmly Muslim Arabo-Berber realm on the eve of the Crusades.

The Crusades became focal points of the development of ideology within both Christendom and the Islamicate world. Any semblance or sense of security in the latter had been effectively shattered. Regions that had formed integral parts of the Caliphate and served as epicentres of Islamic thought and philosophy; The Levant, then Egypt then Al-Andalus, fell consecutively to Frankish rule. Far from a linear or totally one-sided process, the perception of the Dar Al-Islam gradually being encroached and ripped apart by the Franj and the Dar Al-Harb served as a nexus for ideological development. The emergence of increasingly belligerent and militaristic tendencies of Islam during this era is ultimately reflective of a sense of desperation amongst scholars of Islamic fiqh. Particularly in the Maghreb, urban centres became hubs of fanaticism. Literature displayed a unique focus on concepts such as Jihad and resistance or life under conditions of Dar Al-Harb.

Within Western Europe, Crusadist fevor had reached its peak. A transition is observable in political rhetoric, rather then merely Holy Wars, the Crusades had become expeditions to restore Christianity's primacy on the Mediterranean littoral. Dubbed Mare Nostrum (a revival of the Roman term), Christendom experienced the development of somewhat of a form of proto-nationalism. Across various Western European polities, the concept of crusading (in particular focused on the Maghreb following the fall of Al-Andalus) was a focal theme in literary works. The Maghreb remained the final bastion of Islamic rule in the Mediterranean, the final step to realizing the dream of restoring a Christian Roman empire. Throughout Catholic realms, elements heavily agitated for the restoration of Catholicism to the land of St Augustine.

Incursions into Northwest Africa had begun as early as the mid 12th Century following the horrific famine that ravaged Ifriqiya. Nevertheless, with both Rhomania and the Frankish polities focused on the conquest of Egypt, few resources were actually diverted to sustain a conflict against the Almohads. Over the course of the next one and a half centuries, cities across the coast of the Maghreb ranging from the Atlantic coast of Maghreb Al-Aqsa (the Furthest West/land West of the Oud Moulouya) to Tripoli in Ifriqiya, exchanged rulers multiple times, if not by (re)conquest by local polities then by armed revolt by the local populace. The first co-ordinated Crusade into the Maghreb would occur merely two decades following the fall of Al-Andalus, in 1349 AD.

It was in the Maghreb that the Crusadist states would face the fiercest opposition yet. Over the course of three centuries of brutal conflict, the maxim of Frankish power would be the brief establishment of rather fluid domain across a thin strip of the littoral north of the Atlas Mountains in Maghreb Al-Aqsa and Maghreb Al-Awsat (The Central West/West of Annaba and East of the Oud Mouya). Ifriqiya would prove to be the pinnacle of Crusadist efforts with secure control established across the coast and rather tentative authority asserted within areas of the interior. The propensity for violent revolt within urban centres ultimately meant that Frankish rule had to be exercised with upmost delicacy. By the early 17th Century, two Frankish polities existed in the Maghreb alongside various cities under the rule of the Iberians and Italian states: the Kingdom of Africa and the Duchy of Tlemecen. The full realization of Mare Nostrum may not have occured, yet the presence of numerous Crusader fortresses in the region such as the Sidi Abdel'adi Fort/Château de l'Atlas, is a testament to the yeas of brutal warfare.

Frankish rule over Ifriqiya would persist until the mid 18th Century. Four centuries of Christian rule manifested a variety of cultural effects. It is during this time period in which the emergence of the Latin African community occurs. Primarily through the influx of settlers from various nations, a sizeable Latinate community would become prominent within the cities, and later within the agricultural hinterlands (primarily in the development of vineyards). Under the Kingdom of Africa, the indigenous community of Christians enjoyed revitalization, fostering close relations with the emergent Franco-Latin elite. Although, the Arabo-Berber populace largely retained their Muslim character, instances of conversion did occur. It was within the urban centres of "Africa" that a gradual process of acculturation occured.

Indeed, the Muslim populace was fiercely opposed to the growing ascendancy of Christianity at the expense of Islam, often manifesting in violent outbursts of revolt. Perhaps it was the increasing hostility and consistent low-scale insurgency of the local Muslim community that catalysed the formation of African identity of sorts. The remnants of the indigenous Christian community had initially been perceived as separate to the Franco-Latin community, yet over the course of numerous decades appears to have effectively integrated. This process of Latinisation appears to have been fostered by a sense of Christian solidarity in the face of Muslim onslaught. Accordingly, the title of Afariqah applies moreso to the Latinised Christian community rather then specifically Latin settlers. Particularly notable in the process of Latinization is the revival of ''African Romance.'' Modern AR is not one singular language, but a linkage of diverse Romance dialects that are somewhat mutually intelligible, such as the Mahdian Language: A Latinized Semitic language deriving from medevial Maghrebi Arabic.

I love this, I like how you show the difference between the original Copic Christians and the new Christians of the crusader's states and how the two, combined with the cultural experience of Islamic rule, have led to a culture that is entirely new.

THE AMERICAN ENGINE
(PART I)

Fellow citizens of this great Republic, America has fallen. It has fallen far from the great and shining tower it once inhabited. Its wealth, its prosperity, its very sense of morality? Squandered. And worse, stolen! Why yes my dear citizens, for this Depression we find ourselves in, is not simply a product of negligence, but one of sabotage! There are elements within our society which for too long have gone uncalled and unnamed, but who have done everything in their power to pocket your money, corrupt your morals, and erase your God. But no longer, I call out the crooks from Washington, the Bolsheviks, the agitators and all other undesirables, and I say to them: No more!

My friends, my fellow countrymen, I stand before you today not only as a captain of industry, but as a true American. We share one language, one God and yes, one race. And one truth! And that truth is that we’re in need of a national restoration! We must restore America, not only its economy, a job for which I am certainly more than qualified, but its very soul. I urge all true Americans: This election, stand with me, stand with truth, stand with Henry Ford.

Ford’s Presidential Campaign announcement - Dearborn, Michigan, February 21, 1932

-------------------

Did you hear that racist Ford on the Radio? There’s no way man, the Democrats are going to stomp his ass.

------------------

Al Smith has preserved his lead both for nomination and White House as Roosevelt Bid fails to materialize.

New York Times – March 4, 1932

-----------------

I believe that there is no more pressing matter to this campaign than that of ending Prohibition.

Former Governor Al Smith – March 11, 1932

----------------

Prohibition? Who gives a fuck about that? Talk about employment!

----------------

Al Smith represents exactly what is wrong with this country. He’s as corrupt as they come. And that issues runs on both parties, let me tell you. Henry Ford is here to clean the mess that people like Smith created in the first place.

Ford’s Campaign Manager Ernest G. Liebold – April 14, 1932

----------------

I am confident in the path we’re headed. The current economic malaise will be corrected not trough radicalism, but sound policies.

President Herbert Hoover – May 11, 1932

--------------

Forward America, Forward with Ford! Forward Forever Free! Friend of the worker, of you and me, captain of industry!

Forward with Ford, presidential campaign song

--------------

ROOSEVELT DEAD: New York Governor passes away after long battle with Polio.

New York Times – June 3, 1932

--------------

SMITH WINS NOMINATION: Picks Cactus Jack for Vice President.

New York Times – June 27, 1932

---------------

I do not hide the fact that I support Henry Ford for President. I can no longer in good conscience support the Democratic Party, or the Republican Party for that matter. We have a chance to restore America to what it once was, and for that, Ford’s the man. He has my full and unrestricted backing, that’s for sure.

William Randolph Hearst – July 1, 1932

--------------

Jesus can a guy find a paper or a radio that isn’t blasting us with Ford this, Ford that? All the day its Ford Ford Ford…

--------------

A nation, much like a company, is like a machine. It only functions properly when all of its parts function properly. Those at its head, the leading men, the businessmen, must make sure that its hands and legs, the workers, the common man, have what they need to operate. As the President of the Ford Motor Company, I always made sure that workers were well compensated, and they made sure of the same for me. So shall it be with our country, we shall all bask in prosperity soon enough.

Henry Ford speech – July 2, 1932

--------------

I always stood with the common man, the farmer, the worker. I fought corruption in Washington as a Senator, and, if the people will have me, I will fight it as Vice President.

Senator Burton K. Wheeler – July 4, 1932

-------------
View attachment 721023

With Wheeler on ticket, Ford may have Farmer-Labor Midwest Coalition on pocket

The Iowa Independent – July 6, 1932

-------------

Ford ahead on Poll, 7 points lead on Smith.

New York Times – August 18, 1932

-------------

I am appalled by the fact that a racist, an antisemite, and a Jackboot lover is running. I’m more appalled by the fact half my family is voting for him!

-------------

The colored vote? Well, let me say that Henry Ford will be President for all true Americans.

Ford’s Campaign Manager Ernest G. Liebold – September 3, 1932

-------------

He knows how to run a business, why not the Presidency, that can’t be so hard, we had men like Harding there, after all.

------------

Hoover’s a Washington crook and I don’t like Ford but Smith’s a papist, and we’ve all read about them in the papers. He gets his orders from Rome. Now I’m no bigot, but Ford at least is an honest man.
View attachment 721024
View attachment 721025
This gives off Plot Against America vibes

Status
Not open for further replies.