Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes VI (Do Not Post Current Politics or Political Figures Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One Good Term Deserves Another
Dean/Askew '1984

DEAN1984.png

The 1984 United States Presidential Election was the 50th quadrennial presidential election. It was held on Tuesday, November 6, 1984. Incumbent Democratic President James Dean defeated former CIA Director George H.W. Bush, the Republican candidate, in a landslide victory, winning 512 electoral votes and 60.09 percent of the popular vote. This is the most recent U.S. Presidential Election in which a candidate received over 500 electoral votes and the most recent time a major party candidate failed to carry more than 100 electoral votes.

Dean faced only token opposition in his bid for re-nomination by the Democrats, so he and Vice President Reubin Askew were easily re-nominated. Bush defeated Senator Jesse Helms, former EPA Administrator William Ruckelshaus, Governor Pete du Pont, and paleoconservative journalist and former White House Communications Director Pat Buchanan in the 1984 Republican primaries before eventually choosing Nevada Senator Paul Laxalt as his running mate.

Dean touted achievements such as the strong economic and monetary recovery from the 1970s stagflation and the 1981-1982 recession, the enactment of the promised welfare and tax reforms, which have received positive responses with most Americans, decreased tensions and the establishment of arms reduction agreements with the Soviet Union, as well as the widespread perception that his presidency had overseen a revival of national confidence and prestige. Bush ran an aggressive campaign concentrated on his criticisms of Dean's domestic policies, believing them to be wasteful and inefficient in the long run as well as Dean's foreign policies, stating that he's not doing enough to combat Soviet influence with Bush criticizing his handling of the crisis in Nicaragua and the Soviet-Afghan War.

Dean won a landslide re-election victory, carrying 46 states and took 512 of the 538 electoral votes, the second largest of any presidential candidate behind Franklin D. Roosevelt's 1936 victory against Alf Landon, in which he won 98.5 percent or 523 of the then-total 531 electoral votes.

Psephologists attributed a factor of the Democrat victory to "Dean Republicans", millions of Republicans who voted for Dean, as in 1980. They characterized such Dean Republicans as Sun Belt whites and midwestern blue-collar workers who voted for Dean because they credited him with the economic recovery, saw Dean as pragmatic on national security issues, and perceived the Republicans as supporting the rich and evangelicals at the expense of the middle class. The Republican National Committee commissioned a study after the election that came to these conclusions, but destroyed all copies of the final report, fearing that it would offend the party's key voters.​

Last edited:
A little snapshot of my "Fear Nothing But God" TL that I otherwise haven't updated since like uuuuuuuuuuuuh May? But this was for a competition over on SLP and just won! I'm very happy with how it came out, though there are a handful of typos.

The Fifth Constitutional Cycle of the Russian Covenant

The Fifth Constitutional Cycle of the Russian Covenant consisted of several stages. In accordance with the Generational Compact sealed by the
Ura7RlM.png
Young Russia Party in the Revolution of 1870, the Russian Covenant's constitutions are subject to a binding and non-renewable term limit of 30 years. When a Constitution is 12 months from expiration an Instrumental or Constitutional Convention is to be elected. This convention shall be composed on grounds established in negotiations between the major political parties of the previous legislature. Over the course of 12 months, the Convention is tasked with assembling a constitution nowadays often using advisory sessions, regional conventions and non-binding referenda to give direction.

The Russian Covenant remains the only fully Polokenist nation on earth and is bound by the principle that; "Just as a free people should not tolerate being bound to another nation, nor should their liberties and identities be bound to another generation."

Whilst each generation has almost absolute freedom to craft their own political environment, by convention each Constitution shares a few fundamental rights and retains the separation of powers. Each Russian will vote only on one Constitution in their lifetime and this is usually done between the ages of 25 and 54 (as of midnight, January 1st on the year of the Referendum). If conventions are delayed, an individual is unable to vote or under any other circumstances, they are entitled to apply for access to the next Convention. A permanent standing body, the Constitutional Directory, oversees the conduct of Conventions and Referendums and those concerned at missing their opportunity to vote may appeal directly to the Directory.

Constitutions have, in the past, been rejected and this has resulted in Conventions being recalled (hence Ninth Convention's work on the Fifth Constitution and the deviation from neat 30 year cycles). Though never employed, an "Emergency Dissolution" and reversion to a "Basic Constitution" assembled in 1870 is permitted if a Constitution is deemed onerous. A dissolutionary referendum can be triggered by a national petition registered with the Constitutional Directory signed by no less than 15% of the total electorate.

The Fifth Constitution is generally viewed as North Western, particularly in comparison to the "Defensive Measures" embedded in the Fourth - which had been composed as a time of serious international crisis.

The Ninth Constitutional Convention was the first since 1932 to allow partisan participation and observers have hinted that it was the superior organisation of western and reformist groups which allowed for the inclusion of relatively radical passages. Nevertheless, it is considered to be a greater compromise than the Fourth or Second Constitutions which were dominated by militarists and Concordists respectively.

The full proposals of the Ninth Convention were presented to the public on January 1st, 2022, after a series of advisory consultations with the public and partial publications throughout Autumn 2021. The Constitutional Referendum was held on 19 February and resulted in an unexpectedly large majority for "Yes". As a result, the 9th Russian Constitution will enter force on March 1st, 2022, for a period of no longer than 30 years.

XYTdOjO.png

nGmKHkG.png

A little snapshot of my "Fear Nothing But God" TL that I otherwise haven't updated since like uuuuuuuuuuuuh May? But this was for a competition over on SLP and just won! I'm very happy with how it came out, though there are a handful of typos.

The Fifth Constitutional Cycle of the Russian Covenant consisted of several stages. In accordance with the Generational Compact sealed by the
Ura7RlM.png
Young Russia Party in the Revolution of 1870, the Russian Covenant's constitutions are subject to a binding and non-renewable term limit of 30 years. When a Constitution is 12 months from expiration an Instrumental or Constitutional Convention is to be elected. This convention shall be composed on grounds established in negotiations between the major political parties of the previous legislature. Over the course of 12 months, the Convention is tasked with assembling a constitution nowadays often using advisory sessions, regional conventions and non-binding referenda to give direction.

The Russian Covenant remains the only fully Polokenist nation on earth and is bound by the principle that; "Just as a free people should not tolerate being bound to another nation, nor should their liberties and identities be bound to another generation."

Whilst each generation has almost absolute freedom to craft their own political environment, by convention each Constitution shares a few fundamental rights and retains the separation of powers. Each Russian will vote only on one Constitution in their lifetime and this is usually done between the ages of 25 and 54 (as of midnight, January 1st on the year of the Referendum). If conventions are delayed, an individual is unable to vote or under any other circumstances, they are entitled to apply for access to the next Convention. A permanent standing body, the Constitutional Directory, oversees the conduct of Conventions and Referendums and those concerned at missing their opportunity to vote may appeal directly to the Directory.

Constitutions have, in the past, been rejected and this has resulted in Conventions being recalled (hence Ninth Convention's work on the Fifth Constitution and the deviation from neat 30 year cycles). Though never employed, an "Emergency Dissolution" and reversion to a "Basic Constitution" assembled in 1870 is permitted if a Constitution is deemed onerous. A dissolutionary referendum can be triggered by a national petition registered with the Constitutional Directory signed by no less than 15% of the total electorate.

The Fifth Constitution is generally viewed as North Western, particularly in comparison to the "Defensive Measures" embedded in the Fourth - which had been composed as a time of serious international crisis.

The Ninth Constitutional Convention was the first since 1932 to allow partisan participation and observers have hinted that it was the superior organisation of western and reformist groups which allowed for the inclusion of relatively radical passages. Nevertheless, it is considered to be a greater compromise than the Fourth or Second Constitutions which were dominated by militarists and Concordists respectively.

The full proposals of the Ninth Convention were presented to the public on January 1st, 2022, after a series of advisory consultations with the public and partial publications throughout Autumn 2021. The Constitutional Referendum was held on 19 February and resulted in an unexpectedly large majority for "Yes". As a result, the 9th Russian Constitution will enter force on March 1st, 2022, for a period of no longer than 30 years.

XYTdOjO.png

nGmKHkG.png
Who owns kamchatka?

Who owns kamchatka?
Check the link in his signature, "Fear Nothing But God" has a worldmap available (and a really fascinating one--it's a really good timeline to skim through when you have the chance). From the looks of things, it seems like.... Korea?

Check the link in his signature, "Fear Nothing But God" has a worldmap available (and a really fascinating one--it's a really good timeline to skim through when you have the chance). From the looks of things, it seems like.... Korea?
Ah i see thanks

Part 1 here.

I'm Still Here - An Alternate Disney/Treasure Planet Timeline

1645418732840.png

(Apologizes for the poorly made wikibox)

From Wikipedia:

Treasure Planet 2
is a 2004 American animated science fantasy action-adventure film produced by Walt Disney Feature Animation and released by Walt Disney Pictures on May 12, 2004. The sequel to the animated sci-fi adventure film Treasure Planet, the film garnered even more success for the series. The film was co-written, co-produced and directed by Ron Clements and John Musker, who had previously made the first film together, and stared most of the original cast excluding Willem Dafoe and Julia Stiles, who joined as Ironbeard and Katherine "Kate" Blake respectively. Stiles and Gordon-Levitt (who plays the main protagonist Jim Hawkins in both films) had previously worked 10 Things I Hate About You (1999), and apparently had a good working relationship in the making of Treasure Planet 2.

The film once again employed the technique of hand-drawn 2D traditional animation set atop 3D computer animation, and with a doubled budget of $185 million, it overtook the original Treasure Planet film as the most expensive traditionally animated film ever made. The plot follows Jim Hawkins going to the Royal Interstellar Academy where he is a bit of a hot-shot and rebel, in contrast to his smart classmate and eventual love interest, Kate Blake. Captain Amelia is the dean of the academy and has a brand new vessel designed by Dr. Delbert Doppler: The Centurion, which is stolen by the infamous Captain Ironbeard, a cyborg more machine than man. This, combined with the potential return of Silver, could cause more problems for Jim as he tries to win over both Kate and her father, Admiral Blake.

The film was, much like it's predecessor, a smash hit, beating out The Notebook, Mean Girls, Napoleon Dynamite and even Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban in the box office. it was again nominated for and won Best Animated Feature at the Academy Awards, beating Finding Nemo and Brother Bear, and was even nominated for Best Picture, which infamously caused quite a stir in the filmmaking community, though it lost that award to The Lord Of The Rings: Return of The King. The film was also critically acclaimed, with many reviewers citing the characters, humor and musical score as the strong points.

All in all, with the success of the film, plans for a franchise began in earnest, with a whole expanded universe and even an animated Disney series, with Gordon-Levitt and Stiles rumored to returning as their characters, many fans waited excitedly for the return of Jim Hawkins and company, and, near the end of 2004, the news was made official, and The Treasure Planet Chronicles officially began production in late September of 2004.

Relax, @ThatAutisticGuy , I've seen far worse made infoboxes than that! You did the best you could do. Hell, half the time I don't like the infoboxes I made because they don't turn out like I want them to (lacking images and having to be cut in half in order to fully snip it on the snip it tool), but I have to work with what I got since I don't have photoshop.
Thanks! I was worried it'd suck, and I have the same problem, usually I don't have to make my own images, and when I do I usually don't like them enough to use it.

The 1867 Confederate States presidential election in Florida in Harry Turtledove's The Guns of the South

1867CSAGOTSFL.png

The 1867 Confederate States presidential election in Florida took place on November 5, 1867, as part of the 1867 Confederate States presidential election. State voters chose four representatives, or electors, to the Electoral College, who voted for president and vice president.

Florida, the least populated of the Confederate States, would be won by the Confederate Party candidate Robert E. Lee, running with Albert Gallatin Brown. The ticket defeated Patriot Party candidate Nathan Bedford Forrest, who was running with Louis Wigfall. The Lee-Brown ticket would win 53.1% of the popular vote against the Forrest-Wigfall tickets 46.9%, a margin of 6.2%.

Last edited:
Part 1 here.

View attachment 720751

From Wikipedia:

Treasure Planet 2
is a 2004 American animated science fantasy action-adventure film produced by Walt Disney Feature Animation and released by Walt Disney Pictures on May 12, 2004. The sequel to the animated sci-fi adventure film Treasure Planet, the film garnered even more success for the series. The film was co-written, co-produced and directed by Ron Clements and John Musker, who had previously made the first film together, and stared most of the original cast excluding Willem Dafoe and Julia Stiles, who joined as Ironbeard and Katherine "Kate" Blake respectively. Stiles and Gordon-Levitt (who plays the main protagonist Jim Hawkins in both films) had previously worked 10 Things I Hate About You (1999), and apparently had a good working relationship in the making of Treasure Planet 2.

The film once again employed the technique of hand-drawn 2D traditional animation set atop 3D computer animation, and with a doubled budget of $185 million, it overtook the original Treasure Planet film as the most expensive traditionally animated film ever made. The plot follows Jim Hawkins going to the Royal Interstellar Academy where he is a bit of a hot-shot and rebel, in contrast to his smart classmate and eventual love interest, Kate Blake. Captain Amelia is the dean of the academy and has a brand new vessel designed by Dr. Delbert Doppler: The Centurion, which is stolen by the infamous Captain Ironbeard, a cyborg more machine than man. This, combined with the potential return of Silver, could cause more problems for Jim as he tries to win over both Kate and her father, Admiral Blake.

The film was, much like it's predecessor, a smash hit, beating out The Notebook, Mean Girls, Napoleon Dynamite and even Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban in the box office. it was again nominated for and won Best Animated Feature at the Academy Awards, beating Finding Nemo and Brother Bear, and was even nominated for Best Picture, which infamously caused quite a stir in the filmmaking community, though it lost that award to The Lord Of The Rings: Return of The King. The film was also critically acclaimed, with many reviewers citing the characters, humor and musical score as the strong points.

All in all, with the success of the film, plans for a franchise began in earnest, with a whole expanded universe and even an animated Disney series, with Gordon-Levitt and Stiles rumored to returning as their characters, many fans waited excitedly for the return of Jim Hawkins and company, and, near the end of 2004, the news was made official, and The Treasure Planet Chronicles officially began production in late September of 2004.
Very good and interesting could you also if you are willing do one on meet the Robinsons 2

Part 1 here.

View attachment 720751

From Wikipedia:

Treasure Planet 2

Poorly made????? Bro this is really good! Way better then I could do and also has a good story to it as well!

What many people fail to realize about the Russian Tsardom is that it had its origins way before Nicholas II or Nicholas "The Liberator" ascended to the throne. You see, Alexander II's son Nicholas was far more conservative than his father, he vehemently disapproved of his father's reforms. He felt that they were taking power away from the Tsar and their divine right of ruling. Honestly, if he hadn't been assassinated by that young boy, Aleksandr Ulyanov, there's no doubt that the Tsarevich would have rescinded those reforms that his father enacted. Russia might have turned out a very different country if that was the case.
-Max Hastings, 2001, Interview for his new book "Apocalypse: The Eastern Front 1940-1945"

With the marriage of Tsarevich Nicholas to Lady Beatrice Windsor, daughter of the enigmatic Lady Victoria Windsor of the British Republic, the Russian Empire would see a phenomenal shift in the political landscape. Whereas Tsar Alexander II would only issue token reforms to satisfy the masses, Nicholas would actually attend meetings and marches in order to gain knowledge of how the populace lived and what their eventual political aims were. The young prince would be shocked to see the slums of the worker's districts in St.Petersburg and Moscow and vowed to the residents that these days of poverty would not last under his reign. Perhaps spurred on by his days of touring through the countries of Europe and perhaps by his new wife who was known to have various liberal views, Nicholas would keep many of his promises to his citizens, especially when it came to the creation of the United Tsardom and its constitution during the National Conference in St. Petersburg in 1901.
-Extract from Andrei Maylunas' novel, "A Lifelong Passion: Nicholas and Beatrice - Their Own Story" 1978

Post-Great War, the Tsardom would have a difficult time with its recovery. With it being the only major power of the Continental Entente to be invaded, apart from the Rhinish Federation, the infrastructure and agricultural damage would still affect Russia into the next few decades. The economic decline would be stemmed thanks to the Axelrod Budget brought in by the RSDLP government and the various new economic opportunities with the Asian market. But it wouldn't all be plain sailing as the now famous "Mercenary Armies" would begin to take shape in the early 1920's. With millions of men from various countries out of a job following de-mobilization, they would begin to seek work using the skills they developed in their respective armies. The First Italian Civil War as well as conflicts in Africa, China and the Middle East would be ample markets for these men. Russia would clamp down hard on these "armed cartels", especially after the Mongolian War when they would be used by the forces of Alexander Kolchak and Vladimir Ulyanov. When some, like the "Bastard Brigade "and "Warfare Inc." would turn to alcohol and drug smuggling after Mongolia was occupied to shore up funds for further incursions, Russia would not simply have it.
-Extract from the book "Wolves of War: A History of the Mercenary Armies of the 1920s" by Ben Macintyre 2019

The Stalin Uprisings would have a profound effect on the Russian war effort in the first years of the Second Greet War. Joseph Stalin might not have been such a hated man, perhaps second only to Leonid Breznhev, if he just stayed in his home of Georgia. Many Uchronia stories have been written on this subject, most famously Arkady and Boris Strugatsky's "Red Tsar" series, but the undeniable truth is that Stalin didn't stay in Georgia. Through hardship during the First Great War to following Ulyanov' corporate henchmen into Mongolia, Stalin would learn and develop his twisted ideology of 'National Socialism'. While many of his apologists nowadays equate him to being a misunderstood socialist who valued human life, the truth is far more realistic and less idiotic. Stalin would use his network of sycophants, radicals and exploited working class men to try and overthrow the democratically elected government of Premier-Minister Leon Bronstein. Despite him being almost universally hated by people nowadays, he was quite effective in gaining followers. In the world after the Great Crash, many had lost their entire livelihoods and this man promised them back. They would happily follow him against the "Socialist Jew" in the Tauride Palace. However, when it became known that he was being supplied with funds and guns by the Prussian Empire, merely as a diversion for their Invasion of Russia, his support fell. His madness soon became unmanageable with him declaring himself "General Administrator" of the Russian State an area of which never extended beyond the Tsaritsyn city limits, his renaming of Tsaritsyn to "Stalingrad", and his general paranoia. These would lead to his downfall and death at the hands of Mikhail Tuchachevsky's 1st Mobile Guard Regiment during the "Fall of Stalingrad". Stalin's name still haunts Russian society today and would provide many unpleasant moments for his children who chose to remain loyal to the Tsar. His son Vasily, once a decorated Fighter pilot would be constantly passed over for promotion, finally becoming Marshal of the Royal Air Service in 1958 and his daughter Svetlana would still remain beloved by the Russian populace for her heroic medical expertise during the battles of Kursk and Krakow. His other son Jakub still remains a hero of the Russian Tsardom for his death in leading a mass breakout of a Prussian Labour Camp in 1943. Many of his followers and veterans of the Moscow, Minsk and attempted Petrograd Stalinist Uprisings were present as defendants at the Moscow Trials but many would be acquitted following judicial sentencing and executions of the main perpetrators like Vyacheslav Mikhaylovich Skryabin and infamous rapist Lavrentiy Beria.
-Extract from the novel "Unternehmen Friedrich: The Prussian Invasion of Russia" by Fritz Fischer 1981

The Russia that Anna II inherited from her father was a distrustful and broken one. The Duma, on the verge of collapse from Breznhev's bastardization of democracy, the throne, shamed by Alexander III's involvement, the country was "on the razor's edge" as Solzhenitsyn put it. Anna was determined to restore confidence and trust in both the government and the royal family and preceded to do so in a way that many Tsars or Tsarinas before her hadn't tried to do. She acknowledged the crimes of the government and her father. While the previous rulers of the Russian Tsardom voiced private concerns about certain government practices, they very rarely did anything about it or in the case of Alexander III try to cover it up, Anna was not like previous Tsars. Her famous "Shame and Recovery Speech" would endear her to many Russians who felt let down by their leaders. Some were just felt relieved that the Royals finally acknowledged their mistakes for once. Anna's subsequent tour of Russia would also make her beloved by many ordinary Russians as well as the various minority groups. Ukrainians, Finns Yakuts, Buryats, from the southern scandal-ridden city of Yekatarinburg to the Northern "SiberPlan" cities of NovaMoskva and Tsargrad. But her most defining moment and what finally made most of the Russian populace finally respect her was during the Kazakh Revolt of '82. When Nursultan Nazarbayev and his ultranationalist Legions stormed the Kazakh Provincial Capital of Nur-Sultan, many in the Russian Military wanted to directly invade and crush the "uneducated hordes of Kazakh scum" to quote Russian General Dmitriy Ustinov. But Anna intervened in the matters of the military, breaking yet another precedent, and ordered all troops to standby at the border and to only engage in self-defence actions. This was greatly upsetting to the warhawk officers and generals of the army of the Tsarina, but greatly beneficial to the Russian people themselves, they would just not see the benefits unil later. For six long months, the Russian army continued to hold at the border. Without a common enemy to unite under and without an invading enemy to demonize and gain international recognition, Nazarbayev's legions began to fight among themselves, with street battles occurring between national socialists and fascists. The purge of many of these elements, the so-called "Winter Terror", would be the killing blow to the movement. Legions would dissolve into ferocious infighting and after Nazarbayev's own assassination, only then did Anna allow Russian troops to move in. She specifically ordered, however, for the royal army to engage primarily engage with humanitarian aid , replaced Ustinov with notably less volatile general Vasily Zaitsev and accepted NGOs from various countries to participate in the distribution of food and clothes. Violence still occurred between troops and remnant legions, yet by December 1982 with many legions facing starvation, isolation and annihilation, a treaty was signed between the surviving members and the new Kazakh Provincial Government of Reconstruction. Anna had just avoided a potentially long and bloody war in the Kazakh regions. With this effort and her subsequent insistence on the importance of international aid in conflicts like the Turkish Collapse or the Indonesian Wars, she would quickly become one of the most beloved women in all of Russia.
-Extract from the book "Anna: Russia's Daughter" Yury A. Dmitriev with additional information provided by Tsarina Anna Romanova, 2021

United Tsardom.png

Ura7RlM.png

XYTdOjO.png

nGmKHkG.png
I really like this! Would love to see more.

Relax, @ThatAutisticGuy , I've seen far worse made infoboxes than that! You did the best you could do. Hell, half the time I don't like the infoboxes I made because they don't turn out like I want them to (lacking images and having to be cut in half in order to fully snip it on the snip it tool), but I have to work with what I got since I don't have photoshop.
May I suggest FireShot which lets you do this stuff, found it much better then the snip tool. If you want something like photoshop there's Kitra. Its free and pretty much does the same thing.
1645476998585.png

QZ0CDiI.png
When George Lucas sold Lucasfilm to Disney in 2012, no one knew what would come next, only that Disney would surely be making new Star Wars movies. They soon confirmed their plans to make a new trilogy of movie set after the events of the original trilogy. Although George Lucas had left them scripts, outlines, and other scattered notes for his various visions of a sequel trilogy, Disney decided to scrap these ideas and start anew. They brought on Michael Arndt (Toy Story 3, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire) to write a new screenplay. Then they set about to find the director who would helm this massive project. The main candidates were Jon Favreau, Brad Bird, David Fincher, and J.J. Abrams. Favreau had major successes with the Iron Man and John Carter franchises, both of which were at this point under the Disney umbrella. However, he declined in order to focus on his other projects, having been burned out by his previous work with major franchises, all of which had been much smaller undertakings than Star Wars. Bird had done numerous successful animated films, including The Incredibles and The Incredibles 2 for Pixar, but his live action career didn't have the same amount of success, with 1906 having a complicated production process and Tomorrowland flopping at the box office. J.J. Abrams seemed to be the top choice at one point, but he was under contract to make Star Trek 3 and did not want to operate two major franchises at the same time.

After he withdrew himself from consideration, Disney approached Fincher again. Fincher already had a connection to the franchise, having been an assistant cameraman on Return of the Jedi and worked for Industrial Light & Magic early in his career. However, Fincher passed on Episode VII the first time he was approached, due to his concerns about not being able to tell the type of story he wanted and the massive expectations of producing a major blockbuster for the new studio. In early 2014, numerous more candidates had been rumored to pass on the project including Steven Spielberg, Ron Howard, Christopher Nolan, and Guillermo del Toro. Disney CEO Bob Iger was increasing pressure on Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy to get production underway, due to his desire to have at least two films in the trilogy complete before his retirement. Kennedy was ordered to approach earlier choices again with promises of directorial freedom and high budgets. After another meeting with Kennedy, David Fincher accepted the position and was announced in March 2014.

Fincher met with Arndt and began revising the script immediately. Casting was soon underway and that July, a full cast announcement took place at San Diego Comic-Con. Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford all announced their return, and Karen Gillan, Daisy Ridley, and John Boyega were introduced as the three main cast members, Benjamin Walker as the villain, with Oscar Isaac and Ben Daniels in undisclosed roles. The film was scheduled for a tentative release date of Christmas 2015.

Principal photography began the following month and was scheduled to last four months. However, production was plagued by delays and was soon extended into early 2015. Due to studio demands from Disney, numerous story changes forced reshoots and constructions of new sets. Lawrence Kasdan was brought in to do script rewrites and directed scenes Fincher was unavailable for due to the overstretched schedule, against Fincher's wishes. Fincher reportedly threatened to quit numerous times and filming paused for one month in early February. During this time, it was apparent that the film would not be completed in time for the scheduled release date, and the release was soon moved back to May 2016, the 39th anniversary of the first Star Wars film. In February 2015, J.J. Abrams was fired from the production of Star Trek 3 and Bob Iger asked Kathleen Kennedy to replace Fincher with Abrams. However, Abrams declined to take over the project due to how much work had already been completed and refused to finish another director's work. Fincher returned to set in March 2016 and filming concluded late in April.

On May 4, 2015, the title of the film was announced to be Star Wars: Aftermath in the first teaser trailer. Fincher directed two weeks of reshoots in June 2015 and began overseeing the editing process with his long time collaborators Angus Wall and Kirk Baxter. However, Fincher refused to make edits demanded by the studio to reduce the runtime and officially quit in October 2015. Upon Kathleen Kennedy's request, Steven Spielberg came in to complete further reshoots and oversee the final editing process. Spielberg brought the runtime down to 146 minutes, short of Fincher's cut which was reportedly 165 to 170 minutes long.

Despite the complicated and arduous production, Aftermath was released on May 25, 2016, as planned, and opened to major critical and audience acclaim. The film became a major box office success, quickly passing $1 billion internationally. It ended up grossing over $1 billion in the United States and Canada, and a further $1 billion internationally, crossing $2 billion and becoming the third and later second-highest grossing film of all time, surpassing Titanic and being behind only Avatar. It is now third again, having been surpassed by Avengers: Endgame.

David Fincher has said very little about his work on the film, and did not make another film for six years. In a 2019 interview shortly before the release of Episode VIII, Fincher stated he "would never work with Disney again" and disavowed blockbuster franchise work. In 2022, while promoting his new film Mank, he said it was a "miracle it came out as well as it did" and "80-90 percent of [his] vision survived, thankfully." Disney also did not comment much on the production process. During the promotional campaign for Aftermath, Kathleen Kennedy said "he did a tremendous job, but we had differences which we had to resolve separately rather than together." Controversially, George Lucas told a reporter "David's original cut was very good, I enjoyed that movie a lot but I enjoyed the one we got too." This led to fans starting a campaign to "release the Fincher Cut" on social media. Fincher rejected these calls and expressed a desire for the final cut to be the only available version of the film. Upon his retirement from Disney in 2020, Bob Iger said he would not invite Fincher to work another project, but that the studio was "indebted" to him for starting the modern Star Wars franchise.

1645484742399.png

The 1933 Irish general election was held on the 2nd March 1933 to elect 152 of 153 seats of Dáil Éireann (the Ceann Comhairle, the Dáil’s Speaker, is re-elected automatically). It was the first Irish election held after the Statute of Westminster granted full independence to the Irish Free State.

In contrast to the previous gap of less than a year between elections, the 1933 election was called right at the end of the Dáil’s five-year term. President of the Council Cosgrave considered calling an election in early 1932 a great opportunity to capitalize on religious fervour from the Eucharistic Congress, but public sympathy towards the Cumann na nGaedheal government he led had atrophied considerably thanks to the Great Depression, its lack of new policies, and general exhaustion with the party. This led the An Garda Síochána commissioner Eoin O’Duffy to urge him not to dissolve it, which would later come back to haunt Cumann once the election’s term ran out.

Cumann was losing support in two directions: it was bleeding it to Fianna Fáil, which had started to moderate its constitutional proposals and focus more on promoting protectionism and more populist economics, and to Labour, which was espousing moderate agrarian socialism and focusing on uniting poorer Irish voters behind it. By 1933, it was seen as likely Cumann almost doomed to defeat at the next election.

While Cumann’s campaigning aggressively attacked its opponents as communists in the run up to the election, this attack backfired badly for two reasons. Firstly, FF and Labour had very adamantly distanced themselves from communism, and secondly, Cumann had developed a reputation for authoritarianism, as seen in the passage of the Public Safety Act 1931 that empowered the Executive Council to declare a state of emergency and the formation of the fascist Blueshirts by O’Duffy in the summer of 1932, which violently attacked FF-aligned and left-wing republican groups.

The former Farmer’s Party had been superseded by the new National Centre Party led by former Independent Frank MacDermot, which was still aligned with Cumann and opposed to FF, but only enjoyed a brief burst of popularity, and had started to decline in support by the time the election was called. Meanwhile, not only was FF so far ahead of Cumann that it was seen as possible it could win an overall majority, but Labour was severely threatening to supplant Cumann as the opposition.

The result was a strong plurality for Fianna Fáil, with Labour getting its best ever result but successfully taking a distant second while Cumann and National Centre collapsed severely. FF leader Éamon de Valera was able to become President of a minority FF government, and Labour would form the Official Opposition. Due to the intense opposition to Labour from the other opposition parties, some speculated that Ireland was to become a dominant party system.

Status
Not open for further replies.