Status
Not open for further replies.
I will try but this story is too good...
As always, thank you so much for your support! It means a lot to us. I do second @LordKalvan in both his statements. Good writing requires good reading, research, and quite a lot of inspiration. Besides, our story grows by the day, with new characters (and often, POV characters) almost every week, so one has to be careful to keep things both consistent and fun to read (and write). That being said, it won't take too long for the next chapter! ;)

As always, thank you so much for your support! It means a lot to us. I do second @LordKalvan in both his statements. Good writing requires good reading, research, and quite a lot of inspiration. Besides, our story grows by the day, with new characters (and often, POV characters) almost every week, so one has to be careful to keep things both consistent and fun to read (and write). That being said, it won't take too long for the next chapter! ;)
The more reason to dole it out in small doses: it will last more time, and you'll savor it better.
Not to mention that it takes time to write these stories, and keep everything consistent ;)
Don't worry guys, take your time!!! I can wait... I think... I hope... I can't 😭😭😭I joke 😜🤣😂

I feel like the defection of most of the Habsburg navy to Venice did more to shift the fate of the peninsula towards federalism than everything else that's happened so far - Turin can't exactly demand of the Serenissima that they just cede their new navy to Piedmont, and since the Grand Duke is in favour of a federal solution, that's two states against one, plus Sicily, since I don't think Maria Cristina will easily give up her shiny new crown.

Modena and Parma however, what will become of them? Piedmont might annex them, but since at least one of their rulers is now under the protection of the Asburgo-Lorena, who are now allies of Piedmont, maybe there's a chance for a merger of the two duchies under Parma, and maybe Bologna if the situation in the Papal States (who I doubt will survive, given the reactionary bent of the local prelates) degenerates.

I feel like the defection of most of the Habsburg navy to Venice did more to shift the fate of the peninsula towards federalism than everything else that's happened so far - Turin can't exactly demand of the Serenissima that they just cede their new navy to Piedmont, and since the Grand Duke is in favour of a federal solution, that's two states against one, plus Sicily, since I don't think Maria Cristina will easily give up her shiny new crown.

Modena and Parma however, what will become of them? Piedmont might annex them, but since at least one of their rulers is now under the protection of the Asburgo-Lorena, who are now allies of Piedmont, maybe there's a chance for a merger of the two duchies under Parma, and maybe Bologna if the situation in the Papal States (who I doubt will survive, given the reactionary bent of the local prelates) degenerates.
This is an excellent and accurate analysis of the events! As always, no spoilers (or very little), but.. Here we go. Up to now we have Milan and Venice (both under provisional governments) who pretty much freed themselves "alone". Of course, there were the substantial Piedmontese aid in Milan and Goito that effectively reduced the Austrian presence in Lombardy-Venetia to nil, but still. As OTL, in Milan the "royalist" party is stronger, while Venice (and the Venetian hinterland) is eager to revive the old days of the Republic- and the Navy is a huge boost in pride and might. Note that this Navy is weaker than the Sardinian one, but still is a force to be reckoned with in the Adriatic. Tuscany is up to now nearly untouched by unrest: a Constitution has been granted, and the problems with the workers in Livorno are set to be solved TTL. Modena and Parma... for now are open to many solutions, and a merger might be on the table (under who, only time will tell, assuming such a merger happens).
Add to this that Ferdinand is no Charles Albert: the help to the Milanese insurgents has been given "for free" (as opposed to the assurances of a merger with Piedmont CA asked for OTL), he has gone to Venice to see thing clear and have a better idea of which policy to pursue. Further, he will listen to his grandfather's emissaries soon, and has his smart friend Camillo by his side, and stripping his beloved sister of her newly acquired crown is out of his character ;) Rome and Naples are two incognitas, for now, but their situation will be clear soon enough :)

Last edited:
You make good points, as usual.
About your guesses, let me say that some of your assumptions may be close to the truth, and some of them are completely off.
This said, I make the prediction that the end result will be something you may be reasonably happy with.

Narrative Interlude #12: Father and Daughter
Isola della Scala, Villa Pindemonte - 1st April 1848, Afternoon

Princess Maria Cristina entered , with some apprehension, the room where her father was sitting in a comfortable armchair, reading a paper.
"Your Majesty" said the princess, curtsying.
"Sit down, Maria Cristina, - said the king indicating another armchair close to his own - and let us dispense for the protocol for a moment: let's be just a father and his daughter"
"As you wish, father"
Carlo Alberto looked her over , slowly and carefully:
"I find you well, Maria Cristina. I was a little concerned when I was informed of your impulsive decision to join us in Isola della Scala, but I see that the long voyage has not affected you badly"
"It was a very comfortable voyage, father: mostly on a barge on the Po. I hope my decision to come here has not angered you in any way"
"Angered? No, not at all: just concerned for your health. It happens that your decision to come to Isola della Scala has been an inspired one, the more so since you happened to bring the British ambassador in tow"
"Father, I don't understand" The princess was puzzled: she had not had a similar conversation with her father since she was a child.
"A telegram from Turin just arrived. You certainly know that Sicily has renounced its allegiance to king Ferdinand of Bourbon, and the Parliament of the island proclaimed an independent kingdom of Sicily. What you cannot know is that the same Parliament four days ago voted unanimously to offer you the crown of Sicily, as a reigning queen".​
For once in her life, the princess was left without words. She could only stutter: "To me? As queen of Sicily?"
The king barked a short laugh: "You are no more surprised than I was, that I still am. There was no previous indication that any of this was being planned"

Maria Cristina had regained a little of her composure, but was still shocked: "I will need some time to think about this news, Father. It's both too big and too unexpected" She took a deep breath, and the looked shily to her father. "Do you have any advice to give me, as a father as well as a king?"
"Not yet, Maria Cristina. I have many things on my mind". He paused, and lowered his eyes, as though he had seen his problems conjured out of thin air; absent-mindedly, he put his hand on his thigh, where Maria Cristina knew he wore his devotional sackcloth. "In particular one which weighs heavily on my conscience. The Holy Father... Never mind. I feel I need my son with me, I need his advice", he concluded, while raising his gaze again.
Maria Cristina had the second shock of the day: the confident, loving father was suddenly gone, and the man in front of her now was showing the pinched face and the haunted look she knew very well from the days before her marriage.
"I understand, father. There is no need to make a decision in this moment, and I need to think deeply anyway. May I share with news with Henri, Father? Should he not be the king?"
"Talk to Henri, daughter, by all means. The world is changing fast, though, and I feel that the days when a foreign prince came to reign over an Italian people by right of inheritance or by the machinations of the Powers are gone. The Parliament in Palermo has offered the crown to you, as an Italian princess as well as a daughter of the house of Savoia. If you accept the offer, you will be the queen in your own right, and Henri will be at your side as prince consort. Never forget this"
Maria Cristina did not respond. She thought "The world may be changing fast with crowns, kingdom and empires coming and going. Only one thing stays, and will not change: the love between me and my dashing French knight, my Henri. This shall always be rock, my anchor, my guiding light. As a woman, as a wife, as a mother... and as a Queen."
Made in @LordKalvan & Tarabas

Maria Cristina did not respond. She thought "The world may be changing fast with crowns, kingdom and empires coming and going. Only one thing stays, and will not change: the love between me and my dashing French knight, my Henri. This shall always be rock, my anchor, my guiding light. As a woman, as a wife, as a mother... and as a Queen."
This right here give me goosebumps... it's, and it will be, the core of her reign in it's totality! A Queen, a strong and confident Queen like the actual RL Queen Elizabeth. Oh boy, nobody will know how react to Her Royal Majesty Queen Maria Cristina. All rise!!!
As always outstanding job @Tarabas @LordKalvan!!!

Maria Cristina was pregnant when she arrived in Turin in early March 1848. Look forward to good news in Palermo at the end of September or early October

Maria Cristina was pregnant when she arrived in Turin in early March 1848. Look forward to good news in Palermo at the end of September or early October

If it's a boy, she might name him Federico, I think - even though in this case, the kid would have to measure up to that name's reputation in Sicily, and that would be no easy feat.

Something the recent death of Maradona made me think about - with the South not being headed towards a century and a half of misrule, a lot of people who would've otherwise headed for America in general and Argentina in particular will stay put, and places like Buenos Aires and New York will end up looking quite different - the good side of this, it's that the criminal underbelly of the peninsula won't be as organized and powerful, on either side of the Atlantic.

If it's a boy, she might name him Federico, I think - even though in this case, the kid would have to measure up to that name's reputation in Sicily, and that would be no easy feat.

Something the recent death of Maradona made me think about - with the South not being headed towards a century and a half of misrule, a lot of people who would've otherwise headed for America in general and Argentina in particular will stay put, and places like Buenos Aires and New York will end up looking quite different - the good side of this, it's that the criminal underbelly of the peninsula won't be as organized and powerful, on either side of the Atlantic.
You will be happy to know that if it is a boy, the name will be Federico: what other name could be chosen for the heir to the reborn crown of Sicily?

Unfortunately, it appears that I have been somehow too much in haste in announcing the pregnancy of Maria Cristina. It was a false pregnancy, possibly due to the stress of the news of the revolution in France, and the sea trip to Genova. However, not all is lost. It is possible that Maria Cristina will not only gain a crown in Isola della Scala, but also something even dearer to her as a mother, so that her impulsive decision to travel there was truly inspired.

Only time will tell, though ;)

Narrative Interlude #13: Pas a deux in Venice
Palazzo Mocenigo, Venice, March 29th, 1848

"Don't you agree, Your Highness?" Ferdinand had to apologize to Alvise Francesco Mocenigo, who was hosting the ball in his palace, and ask him to repeat the question. He had been only half-listening to him for the past few minutes, concentrated as he was in observing the other people in the room. No one would have said that the ball had been organized in haste, nor that it was being held in a city fresh of revolution. Everything was perfect... That is to say, perfectly decadent as one would have expected from Venice. Although, to be fair, there was something new, different from what he remembered (1). Each and everyone of the presents was shining with pride, and rightly so: in just a few days, the Austrians had been kicked out of the city, their fleet almost entirely captured, and lastly, the Republic, the "Most Serene Republic of Saint Mark", had been proclaimed.(2) Ferdinand had publicly downplayed his role in the re-birth of the Republic, but his meetings with the Provisional Government had been pivotal in this decision, and everyone seemed to know ; he could tell from the genuine warmth everyone was showing him.
Ferdinand was idly wishing that it was Carnival: he already felt awkward in such public events, the more so if he had to be at the center of the attention, and a mask would have been a blessing, a way to guard himself from public scrutiny. He hated to be the "Prince of the Italians" as everyone seemed happy to call him these days. At least, he did not have to listen to Solera bragging about his service in Napoleonic times as Alessandro LaMarmora was being forced to do, nor he did have to pretend to be at ease being side by side with someone he did neither really trust nor like, as Manin and Avesani were trying to do. At the same time, he could not cast his "hero of Goito" glamour around the room as Augusto was doing. Judging from the giggles and side-stares, the young man had a talent in flirting, but he had not been good at concealing his interest in the beautiful, blonde-haired sister of Giovanni Battista Giustinian, named... Aurora? Francesca? He could not recall. This particular talent Ferdinand had never had, and he was grateful that his neatly arranged marriage to Maria Adelaide had been blessed with love, although it would never be as romantic as Maria Cristina's and Henri's marriage.
"Your Highness, may I introduce to you my dear friend Carlo Cattaneo(3), from Milan?" said Daniele Manin while approaching him and bowing awkwardly to Ferdinand. Now, this was a real surprise. What was the Chief of the Milanese War Council possibly doing in Venice? The fierce-looking man standing in front of him left no time for educated guessing; he gave a contemptuous look to Manin, straightened his back to full height, held out his hand and said aloud: " I will not bow to the Prince of the Italians... but I will gladly shake hands with the winner of Goito.(4)" These words sparked shock trough the room, Mocenigo, Manin and Avesani paled at the same time, and both Alessandro LaMarmora and Augusto Cavour left their conversations (the former grateful, the latter less so) to come at the Prince's side. Ferdinand just laughed, a genuine burst of laughter showing his teeth, before replying: "And I will proudly shake the hand of a hero of the Days of Milan, pretending that he's not the same man who said "We are the richest in the Empire, I see no reason to be out of it"(5). Cattaneo laughed in return, and a shockwave of relief went through the room while they finally shook hands. Despite the obvious discomfort of his retinue, Ferdinand retired with Cattaneo to a side room, for a private meeting.
"What brings you to Venice, Signor Cattaneo? I would have expected the Chief of the Milanese War Council to be more... busy"
"I would be busier if there were a real war tobe fought. Looks like Your Highness won it in a single strike"
"That is quite an overstatement, but thank you for your kind words, I guess"
"Just stating what is obvious"
"As any good scientist would do. I was a fond reader of Il Politecnico(6)"
"Thank you, Your Highness. That is most kind of you. But anyway, to answer your question... I wanted to see with my own eyes what was going on in Venice, and tonight I want to see if the rumors floating around are true. If really the heir to House Savoy was behind the rebirth of the Serenissima"
"Another overstatement, I am afraid. I just happened to be here while the magic was performed"​
"And this may be the mother of all understatements, Your Highness. You don't like to be at the center of all attention, a rare thing to see in a Prince"
"Oh, well.. No blonde hair nor blue eyes, I guess I might be quite a disappointment-as far as usual princes go"
"On the contrary, I would rather say Your Highness is quite the surprise"
"I may surprise you more"
"How so?"
"I guess your real question was... Why is Venice already a Republic, while Milan is destined to trade the Hapsburg joke for the Savoy bridle?"
Cattaneo was now genuinely impressed. He did not relax his fierce attitude, but he did look thoughtful. Ferdinand could not help but donning his usual half-smile.
" Centuries of division and foreign oppression have caused our beloved Italy to sprout many souls, many genii loci(7), Signor Cattaneo. Some of the Italians are monarchists, other are republicans; some look to the Renaissance, other to the Middle Ages, other again to the glory of ancient Rome. Should all differences be removed at a stroke in order to turn Italy into a homogeneous nation?
One of my own ancestors said that Italy is like an artichoke, to be eaten one leaf at a time. Since Goito and my days here in Venice, I came to a different conclusion. Italy is like a tree, a beautiful and ancient oak, and all her leaves must have their place under the sun for the oak to thrive and prosper. Maybe you are surprised because everyone speaks of waging and winning war, but few know or even think of how to win the peace. I am different: I believe winning the war without winning the peace would be a disaster, and Italy would suffer if that were to happen."

Footnotes
  1. Ferdinand had visited Venice in 1847, on the occasion of the Annual Congress of the Italian Scientists
  2. The name had been chosen as a clear message that the Republic would have been less Venice-centric than the republic of old, but that the traditions and the pride of the Dominant would also survive
  3. Italian patriot, of republican and federalist ideology
  4. OTL Cattaneo, when elected to the Italian Parliament, never actually took his seat because he did not want to swear an oath to House Savoy; this ALT-sentence seems fit to his character
  5. An actual OTL quote by Cattaneo
  6. A scientific journal created and directed by Cattaneo in Milan
  7. In Ancient Rome, the presiding god or spirit of a place here used as a poetic form for the prevailing character or atmosphere of a place
Made in Tarabas & @LordKalvan

Last edited:
Italian emigration, at least in significant numbers, OTL started only after the crisis of the agricultural sector in the 1870s.
We are now in 1848, and it is very difficult to predict what is going to happen a generation later.
I would anticipate that TTL Italy will see an early modernization of the agricultural sector, together with an early start of the reclamation of the marshy areas of the peninsula, which necessarily has to go together with a regulation of the water flow in the rivers, to moderate periodical flooding of low-laying areas. If they are lucky and far-seeing, there will be also a land reform, with the growth of a class of small independent farmers (it is quite likely that the process will have go through a phase of sharecropping). I also expect an application of the principle of eminent domain, in particular with regards to those areas which are not under cultivation, or are under-utilized.
In the long term, all these measures will have positive effects on the occupation and the economy, but there will be also a lot of résistance, chiefly among the big landowners, but also among the poorest classes which are going to loose their traditional ways of sustenance, and are anyway usually refractory to social changes. On the third hand, major infrastructure works will provide jobs, a lot of them. Bringing obviously in the picture the problems associated with them: a new social order has to be found, and it will be as usual, by trial and error.
Finally, there is the industrialization process, which will be facilitated by better infrastructures and a better political structure of the peninsula, but will bring benefits and problems as well.
I suppose there is not a way to impose a certain model by fiat, and everything must find its own point of balance, again by trial and error.
It's just a matter of wait and see.

I do second @LordKalvan's answer. However, we will likely have emigration to the Americas, albeit on a smaller scale and with a different "typical Italian immigrant": I would say that we have proportionally more people like Garibaldi or Francesco Matarazzo. I am unsure of the OTL reason for having Northern Italians migrating to South America and Southerners mainly to North America (I will look into that) but even this might change ITTL. This will also contribute to give the Italians a different fame worldwide, with some funny twists. I am now imagining TTL 2020 with "New York style polenta", with of course the sin of all sins" hawaian polenta" with pineapple on top.

I just had a private conversation with Ferdinand. After the Ball at Palazzo Mocenigo, he wrote in his diary: "Now they call me the Prince of the Italians, Camillo says that in a generation they will call me the "Father of Italy"... but I feel part of something bigger, a blossom among many beautiful others in this Springtime for Italy, this stunning dance of War, Love and Revolution". The last sentence justifies the change we made to the title. ;)

I just had a private conversation with Ferdinand. After the Ball at Palazzo Mocenigo, he wrote in his diary: "Now they call me the Prince of the Italians, Camillo says that in a generation they will call me the "Father of Italy"... but I feel part of something bigger, a blossom among many beautiful others in this Springtime for Italy, this stunning dance of War, Love and Revolution". The last sentence justifies the change we made to the title. ;)
Love it!!!

In more practical terms, Ferdinand of Savoy is still the first lead in this pageant, but more and more actors are entering the stage, and playing their role: in Isola della Scala, of course, but also in Venice and Rome, Naples and Palermo, Florence and Turin, without forgetting that what is happening in Italy will impact, and will be impacted by, all the decisions that will be made in London, Paris, Vienna. As the new title says, there will be war and love and revolution, but also diplomacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.