The Iron Age of Comics: Jim Shooter's Return to Marvel

Could we get a lineup of both sides?
When time permits perhaps.
Will this have elements of Archer & Armstrong?
Definitely.
Any elements from Marc Hazard Merc?
Definitely, and the character himself (and cast) might have appeared as well.
Does he look more like Nightmask, Shadowman, or a combination of the two?
More like his OTL Valiant counterpart.
So I assume Steve Gerber's not coming back to Marvel ITTL, given his (mutual) dislike of Shooter. So I guess we lose his later Man-Thing stuff in Marvel Comics Presents.

Kinda wonder who would take over his other books (She-Hulk, Cloak & Dagger). I think Dwayne McDuffie would be good on Cloak & Dagger.

Actually speaking of him, what does this timeline mean for the Milestone creators? Do they come together under Epic Comics instead?
Gerber's working with Malibu at the moment with some freelance work for DC/Vertigo. He has no plans for returning at Marvel, especially because the aforementioned animosity with Shooter.

As for McDuffie and Milestone, they are working with DC. However, one interesting butterfly is that a Static Shock animated series is development for the upcoming WB Network launch alongside Superman: The Animated Series in 1996 (four years earlier than OTL.)

Chapter 29 - Spider-Man (1994)
Marvel's Spider-Man
Directed by James Cameron
Story by James Cameron and Will Wisher
Produced by Marvel/Lightstorm Entertainment/Tri-Star

Cast

Fred Savage as Peter Parker/Spider-Man
Arnold Schwarzenegger as Otto Octavius/Doctor Octopus
Brittney Murphy as Mary-Jane “MJ” Watson
Michael Biehn as Ben Parker
Jamie Lee Curtis as May Parker
Bill Paxton as J. Jonah Jameson
Joe Morton as Joe Robertson
Kenan Thompson as Randy Robertson
Charleton Heston as Justin Hammer
Ron Perlmann as ???

Released: July 15, 1994

Budget: $150 Million
Box Office Gross: $977 Million​

1994 would be a banner year for the superhero genre in film in the same vein as 1978 and 1989. However, unlike Superman and Batman before it, Spider-Man would see the launch of a shared cinematic universe that had not been seen since the days of Universal’s monster films. Spider-Man received more promotion throughout the first half of the year with the launch of the animated series on Fox Kids, Happy Meals at McDonalds, and cereal boxes on supermarket shelves. All eyes were on the webslinger, even DC’s with their new Superman film releasing the next year.

James Cameron enjoyed a great deal of creative freedom while writing and directing the film, however, the only restriction that Marvel placed on him was that he could not use characters that were deceased in the comics. That excluded characters like Norman and Harry Osborn (both the Green Goblin) and Gwen Stacy from the story, but they were hardly necessary for the tale Cameron wanted to tell. The first act of the film was effectively a retelling of Spider-Man’s origins in 1962’s Amazing Fantasy #15, albeit with a few changes. Peter Parker was still a brilliant, but still socially awkward outcast whose only friend was Randy Robertson and pined for the popular and vivacious Mary-Jane Watson.

Another major departure from the comic book canon is involvement of Dr. Otto Octavius in the creation of Spider-Man, which also serves to tie into the larger cinematic universe Marvel planned. As an expert in radiation, Octavius is attempting to replicate the vita-ray process that stabilized the super-soldier serum that created Captain America. Justin Hammer (a rival of Tony Stark who mentions the future Armoured Avenger as a hint of what’s to come) won the government contract and pressures timid Octavius to work long to the detriment of his marriage. Admittedly, it stretched the audience’s suspension of disbelief that the 69-year-old Heston could intimidate Schwarzenegger in his prime, but some moviegoers found the absurdity of it entertaining.

It is at one of Octavius’ demonstrations that his experiment irradiates the spider that bites Peter, giving him his powers. Naturally, Peter uses his newfound abilities and intelligence to craft the Spider-Man ability for fame and fortune. His growing arrogance and falling grades alarm his guardians Ben and May Parker, prompting the latter to remind him that “with great power comes great responsibility.” Peter ignores his uncle’s advice and a robber he refuses to stop after a television appearance later shoots Ben in an attempted robbery.

That same night, an extremely fatigued Octavius begins another experiment at Hammer’s insistence, but forgets to put all the safeguards in place in his weary state. It doesn’t help that his wife (played by Tia Carrere) arrives at a critical time in the experiment, which explodes, killing her and fusing mechanical arms to his spinal cord. A grief-stricken Octavius awakens in the hospital to promise revenge on Hammer.

Meanwhile, Peter still grapples with his guilt over Uncle Ben’s death and with the help of Randy’s father, Joe [1], takes a job at the Daily Bugle for the bombastic J. Jonah Jameson. It is on his first day as a copy boy that he learns Jameson is paying large amounts of money for photographs of Spider-Man and gets the idea to photograph himself. He is also later partnered with Mary Jane on a school project, which gets interrupted by Octavius’ rampage where he uses her as a hostage and comes into direct conflict with Spider-Man. Naturally, Jameson uses this incident to tar both Octavius (whom he dubs Doctor Octopus) and Spider-Man as menaces.

An increasingly crazed Octavius kidnaps Hammer during an interview with DB Media and takes him to the Ditko Nuclear Power Plant where he intends to irradiate the entire tri-state area to make everyone “feel his pain.” Spider-Man confronts him for the climactic battle where Octavius completely overpowers him, forcing Spidey to use his brains. He relentlessly taunts Octavius and baits him into electrocuting himself and prevents a meltdown at the last moment. Despite his heroics, it’s something of a pyrrhic victory for Spider-Man. Jameson still rails on him as a menace and thus divides public opinion on him, and Mary Jane, despite showing some feelings for him, still stays with Flash Thompson. However, Aunt May gives Peter some needed encouragement by telling him that Ben would be proud of how he’s stepping up despite being unaware of his dual identity.

Elsewhere at an ultramax prison called the vault, a shadowy figure watches a silent Octavius in his cell. His partner, a man in a derby hat, remarks that they’re popping out of the woodwork, “First mutants and now these freaks.” The shadowy figure steps out into the light to reveal himself to be Nick Fury (Ron Perlmman), who nods and tells him that they are going to need a team for what’s coming next.

Needless to say, Spider-Man exceeded both Superman and Batman in box office gross to stop short of the billion dollar mark. Audiences and most critics praised Fred Savage’s performance, citing that his time on television’s The Wonder Years made him the ideal fit for the role. Critics were less charitable towards Schwarzenegger’s performance, complaining that he chewed the scenery along with Paxton’s Jameson though audiences weren’t judging by the box office receipts. If anything, Spider-Man helped Arnold bounce back from the misstep of Last Action Hero and even propelled him to an Oscar nod for 1996’s Crusades.

What possibly thrilled longtime fans even more were the strands of continuity hinted at within the film, particularly the allusions to Captain America and Iron Man. Indeed, Marvel officially confirmed and announced Iron Man starring Pierce Brosnan and Charleton Heston for 1996, though the Star-Spangled Avenger would have to wait a few years more after the Spider-Man and X-Men sequels. Fans were excited for what came next and how the Distinguished Competition would respond.

[1] In another departure from the comic canon Joe Robertson plays an arguably more prominent role than Jameson as a paternal figure to Peter.

Last edited:
BONUS - Stan Lee's "Spider Man (1994)" Cameo
Stan Lee is one of DB Media's "man on the street" interviews where he rails on about how much of a menace Spider-Man is to the law-abiding citizens of New York. However, Spider-Man stops a runaway armoured truck from flattening him without him even realizing it.

Oh very nice version of Spider-Man there! Like the world building going on. Should be good for comic sales too.

Did they put Arnie in a 'fat suit' for the first half before the transformation into Muscle-Oct?

What are the costumes like? Similar to the 70-80's TV series with tight spandex, or closer to the more modern OTL suits which are tight more more shaped panels than visible anatomy?

Perlman as Nick Fury? Not as a monster? Awesome!

Like you using Joe Robertson as a parent figure here. Having Randy as a friend also gives Peter someone to bounce off in school. Presumably M-J is more like her comic version than the more cynical version in the more takes?

Looking forward to your take on Fantastic Four!

BTW- meant to ask- does Jim Henson live longer ITTL? Please say yes...

Okay. That was awesome. Even I’m looking forward to more of this MCU and it only exists within our imaginations!

I only have one request for this timeline by this point: If JJJ is indeed naming people like in OTL Spidey 1 and 2, please keep the Dr. Strange namedrop and dropping it as viable in TTL... only to include a scene of him going “AW COME ON!” somewhere In the films when the real one pops up. :D :p

Last edited:
Lovely to see that Crusade is getting made TTL - presumably with Verhoeven still directing etc?

An interesting take on a Spider-Man tale overall - the storyline strikes me as a bit Silver Age (for both good and bad) so I think a lot would depend on how well the special effects hold up, which given Cameron is at the wheel I suspect they will. I'm assuming that Cameron will still be doing Titanic two years later or will be be going down the MCU rabbit hole?

Brittany Murphy is a great piece of casting in particular.

Not real happy with it but still:
de1oz9w-8b0d8927-40b1-47ad-b073-ec6ba7bf0068.png

Did they put Arnie in a 'fat suit' for the first half before the transformation into Muscle-Oct?
They did indeed with some prostheses to fill out his cheeks.
What are the costumes like? Similar to the 70-80's TV series with tight spandex, or closer to the more modern OTL suits which are tight more more shaped panels than visible anatomy?
Marvel and Cameron wanted something closer to the comics so more the former, but that will change by the time Captain America arrives in theatres.
Perlman as Nick Fury? Not as a monster? Awesome!
I was agonizing over who to cast in the role because I didn't want to cast David Hasselhoff and the Ultimate universe is butterflied so no Samuel L. Jackson in the role. Perlman was the only actor that I could think of who had the acting chops and presence for a character like Nick Fury.
Like you using Joe Robertson as a parent figure here. Having Randy as a friend also gives Peter someone to bounce off in school. Presumably M-J is more like her comic version than the more cynical version in the more takes?
Joe Robertson is one of my favorite Spider-Man supporting characters and I though it would be a waste of Joe Morton to make him a background character. Randy's prominence is thanks to Marvel's dictate that no deceased characters be features, which Harry was at the time of production. He serves a similar role as Ned from the MCU film as a semi-comedic character and confidant for Peter.

MJ is more like her comic counterpart and her troubled past is alluded to in the film, but not outright stated. More story potential for the sequel there.
I only have one request for this timeline by this point: If JJJ is indeed naming people like in OTL Spidey 1 and 2, please keep the Dr. Strange namedrop and dropping it as viable in TTL... only to include a scene of him going “AW COME ON!” somewhere In the films when the real one pops up. :D :p
I'll keep that in mind, though it would be funny if a Bugle staffer says, "That's the name of my wife's surgeon." ;)
An interesting take on a Spider-Man tale overall - the storyline strikes me as a bit Silver Age (for both good and bad) so I think a lot would depend on how well the special effects hold up, which given Cameron is at the wheel I suspect they will. I'm assuming that Cameron will still be doing Titanic two years later or will be be going down the MCU rabbit hole?
I think Cameron could be persuaded to return to direct the sequel, which would delay or butterfly Titanic.

Now that Spider-Man (1994) is done, it's onwards to Superman '95 and X-Men. I have both plotted out in my head, but I haven't cast the latter or "assigned" a director to it. Now's your chance to make your voices heard as to who you want to see in it. The only restriction is that it will use character from the animated series and/or the Jim Lee-era lineup.

As more personal pick for Magneto, I was thinking that fan would petition for Marvel to audition David Hamblen (who voiced the character in the animated series) for the role and win it. Tell me what you think.

Now that Spider-Man (1994) is done, it's onwards to Superman '95 and X-Men. I have both plotted out in my head, but I haven't cast the latter or "assigned" a director to it. Now's your chance to make your voices heard as to who you want to see in it. The only restriction is that it will use character from the animated series and/or the Jim Lee-era lineup.

As more personal pick for Magneto, I was thinking that fan would petition for Marvel to audition David Hamblen (who voiced the character in the animated series) for the role and win it. Tell me what you think.

What are the odds that I am also casting for a X-Men movie in my NAHMT thread?

Chapter 30 - Meet the Cast of X-Men (1995)
(OOC: Speak of the devil... :biggrin:)

Spider-Man’s smashing success only increased the hype for 1995's X-Men, which had been Marvel’s highest selling title for many years. One could not discount the success of the animated series on Fox’s Saturday morning block, which had introduced the Children of the Atom to a new generation. Marvel tapped Joe Johnson, whose credits included the film adaptation of Dave Stevens’ The Rocketeer, to direct and Joss Whedon to write the screenplay. The animated series would influence the production in unexpected ways.

Fans petitioned for Marvel to allow the voice actors of Charles Xavier and Magneto to audition for the respective roles in the film. Cedric Smith (Xavier) was well known for his role as Alec King on CBC's Road to Avonlea in Canada while David Hemblen was a stage actor with film and television credits to his name. While both auditioned for the roles, Smith bowed out due to his commitment to the then-running Avonlea, but Hamblen won the role of the Master of Magnetism.

Several other actors were in consideration for the role of Xavier. Patrick Stewart had been a fan-favorite due to his likeness to the character, however, he had commitments to the Star Trek films and declined. Marvel threw a curveball when they announced that the role went to musician David Bowie. While Bowie had starred in films before--notably in Labyrinth--the news bewildered the unsuspecting fanbase who largely took a “wait and see” approach.

Wolverine was the most important casting decision and Marvel was insistent that the role needed major backing from Hollywood’s A-list. Mel Gibson’s name had been thrown around because of his portrayal of Martin Riggs in the Lethal Weapon series, but he was likewise unavailable due to Braveheart. However, Tom Cruise accepted the role despite serious reservations from Jim Shooter and creators like Chris Claremont. It became a family affair when Cruise’s then-wife, Nicole Kidman, signed on as Jean Grey and rounding the famous love triangle was Ethan Hawke as Cyclops.

Filling out the ranks of the team would be Angela Bassett as Storm, Alfred Molina as Beast, and Leonardo DiCaprio as Iceman. Yet much like the animated series, the film would focus on the point-of-view of Jubilee who would be played by newcomer Patricia Ja Lee. Details about the plot were sparse, however, Stan Winston would be unavailable to do special effects for the film due to Iron Man and the Spider-Man sequel. Marvel instead contracted Jim Henson’s [1] Creature Shop for the job and photos of robotic-looking animatronics leaked, which indicated that the mutant-hunting Sentinels were to play a role in the film.

Promotion began in earnest September 1994 with the first trailer dropping for the Holiday re-release of Spider-Man. Despite the winter chill, the competition was heating up to see who would triumph next summer: the Man of Steel or the Children of the Atom.

[1] Jim Henson’s infection was one of the TL’s early butterflies so he is alive to work on X-Men.

Last edited:
A weird personal opinion, but this is where some serious butterflies for X-Men's "meta" will start cropping up. Hear me out.

The X-Men, for all their many, many popular individual characters, always went back to a "core" or "distilled" team of the O5 X-Men (excepting Angel whenever I see one cut) and the "Big Four" of Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, and Colossus of the All-New X-Men. Seriously! Look at the X-Men of the 70s and 80s and who their most major characters were - it was Cyclops, Jean Grey, and the Big Four All-New ones in those classic storylines. Beast, meanwhile, was keeping up himself in importance as an Avenger and would return to being the much-needed Smart Guy of the team and extra muscle complimenting Colossus, and even Iceman continued to bounce around teams and be a young humorous guy to relate to in those days before everyone (almost) reunited for the insane popularity of the 90s. Those eight always pop up first or very early on in adaptions as core or charter members of the X-Men.

But speaking of the various adaptions, in addition to the Core Eight as I'll call them, there's usually popular extras of the decade to round the team out. In the 90s it was, for example, Jubilee and Gambit in the cartoon and Capcom Vs games... and Rogue in the 00s movie series. As such Jubilee being part of this world's MCU that will likely be a major impact on comics culture like the OTL one was may very well make HER a permanent "Core" member and inescapable as one of the main team members in the public eye. Think of how Black Widow and Hawkeye are now charter Avengers in many adaptions since the MCU despite Ant-Man and Wasp being the two other founders besides the "solo book" founders of Cap/Iron Man/Thor/Hulk and you'll get exactly what I'm trying to say.

Last edited: