Status
Not open for further replies.

Femto

Banned
I wonder if there will be an end of the world showdown between Draka and America for control of the planet, with super weapons and shit. I think the most realistic scenario would be nuclear or biological annihilation. Hopefully America abstain itself from pretending the Drakians are the aliens of Independence Day and would fall for Trojan Horse bullshit.

Last edited:
I wonder if there will be an end of the world showdown between Draka and America for control of the planet, with super weapons and shit. I think the most realistic scenario would be nuclear or biological annihilation. Hopefully America abstain itself from pretending the Drakians are the aliens of Independence Day and would fall for Trojan Horse bullshit.
On the contrary, given the more grounded take on the concept I imagine they'll spend most of the twentieth century gearing up for apocalyptic war and then everything just kind of... stalls out, leaving a strange new fractured world and certain nostalgics on both sides wishing for the clean simplicity of the Protracted Struggle.

Man, you're really making it tricky to tell who rolled the one. I expect a plot twist.

In my defense I did decide to modify the result of the roll, so while the side that rolled a one will lose it won't quite as devastating. Also;

Japan putting America on the back foot is one heck of a twist.

But there should be a twist or two in the second half of the war. :)

I just love how ambigious and morally grey both sides in the conflict are. Japan and India are dicks for starting war that'll kill millions but the Americans are also dicks for using chemical weapons against civilian populations.

Thank you!

Amazing update, this is somehow even more bloody than I expected, can't wait to see what the GPW is in this world.

Thanks! The next chapter will cover the beginning of the Great Patriotic War and the showdown in Europe.

1. I expect all the major powers are taking notes or sending observers.
2. Has anyone developed cruise missiles or ICBMs?

1. Yes, although most of the major powers are involved either in the Great Pacific War or the Great Patriotic War.

2. As I mentioned in chapter 24 (and as @Born in the USSA mentioned) rocketry has been neglected ITTL in favor of long-range heavy artillery. So no cruise missles or ICBMs.

The greater reliance on chemical weapons ITTL is making me worried for the age of atomic weapons...

There really aren't a lot of wartime taboos ITTL, are there? We've got a ways to go before we get to atomic weapons though.

Although the Japanese advances might look impressive on the map, it should be kept in mind that they actually haven't advanced that much further than they did OTL's Pacific War yet, though they seem to have paid heavier price for their advance due to larger US presence in the area.

Actually they've advanced less than OTL, particularly when one considers that areas that Japan occupied IOTL are controlled by their allies ITTL. The only area where Japan controls significantly more territory is China- they haven't occupied Guam or even landed on New Guinea.

Honestly you could probably get away with just using Cold War era Japanese fighters. Imperial Japanese and post war Japanese insignia are almost identical. Both of them use the same “red dot” symbol instead of the “rising sun” symbol.​

... why didn't I think of that?

I do wonder if either side is making use of WW2 styled mobile dry docks or any of the more outlandish ideas from the time period. Tillman class battleships and Pycrete aircraft carriers anyone?

Mobile drydocks yes, Tillman "Maximum" battleships no. The World War demonstrated pretty clearly that carriers were the wave of the future, and no one invested too heavily into battleships. Pykrete... is cool (ha ha) but there are far too many reasons why it would be impractical for major military use. There were a couple of carrier/battleship combos launched, but the result was just a ship that doesn't perform well as a battleship or a carrier.

The thing that's interesting to me about the war so far is that neither side seems to have had any "screw-ups." The United States invading India might have been one, considering their population, but it just as likely could have been that *not* invading india would have given them more time to industrialize and militarize. Meanwhile, Japan's first strike against the US could have been a disastrous PR move, but so far hasn't resulted in a significant backlash.

Japan's first strike against the US resulted in significant backlash from within the United States and its allies, but not from within Japan or its allies. It was condemned by the Pan-Europeans and Drakia, but neither the Rex nor the Societists blocs were going to be helping Japan anyway. India's failed first attempt to invade Sri Lanka could be judged as a screw-up, but in general you're right- Japan and America haven't screwed the pooch in any major ways yet.

Can we get a map of the frontline?

Next chapter. Once I'm done with the start of the Great Patriotic War I'll post a world map.

Mobile drydocks yes, Tillman "Maximum" battleships no. The World War demonstrated pretty clearly that carriers were the wave of the future, and no one invested too heavily into battleships. Pykrete... is cool (ha ha) but there are far too many reasons why it would be impractical for major military use. There were a couple of carrier/battleship combos launched, but the result was just a ship that doesn't perform well as a battleship or a carrier.
Something like this might work
post-4125-0-30707800-1487310534.jpg

The fighter craft we saw seems a little too advanced I was expecting something a bit more along the lines of something from the korean war with turboprops giving way to fighter jets.

xsampa

Banned
In the scenario I outlined, they'd have been wiped out by the Societist-Geoist Axis of Evil™
Surrounded by Britain, the RZ, Drakia and Rhomania doesn’t look too well for them. The Brits can occupy Holland; the Rhomanians can attack Hungary, the Draka can invade Spain and Italy

That is one of the most hideously useless abominations of naval design I haver ever seen.

People are always desperate for battleship tactics to be relevant long after they should be. Then again, it would be neat to see some divergence of naval tactics.

QUOTE="xsampa, post: 20123076, member: 79030"]
Surrounded by Britain, the RZ, Drakia and Rhomania doesn’t look too well for them. The Brits can occupy Holland; the Rhomanians can attack Hungary, the Draka can invade Spain and Italy
[/QUOTE]
Isn't Spain a Geoist power? I know Russia and Drakia are friendly, what about the Spaniards?

People are always desperate for battleship tactics to be relevant long after they should be. Then again, it would be neat to see some divergence of naval tactics.

Isn't Spain a Geoist power? I know Russia and Drakia are friendly, what about the Spaniards?
The RZ allying with Drakia caused a Russo-Spanish split. I could see Green Iberia (Portugal's basically a dependency at this point) even ending up with a weird "neutral toward the Pact without an actual alliance but also declaring war on Drakia" thing when the GPW rolls around because (as far as the Pan-Europeans are concerned) the pobladistas would be by far the lesser evil, and would form a buffer along the Pyrenees.

Last edited:

And don't forget Russia.

That said, the USA aren't terminally stupid (except if the dice says so), and they won't let the Geoists and Societists just gobble Europe. Even if they have to reach an armistice with India and Japan. And the Draka know it.

Only if the war goes catastrophically bad for the USA, the Societists might see it as an opportunity.

Something that just occurred to me: given that some technological developments TTL have turned society into blind alleys and that given the Air War everyone will be turning to fighter jets with gusto it would be interesting if ICBMs are really delayed TTL or even butterflied entirely, with an emphasis shifted to V3 cannons and orbital bombers. Hell, a space race revolving entirely around space planes just parking in orbit or trying to coast to the moon or whatever would be incredibly interesting.

Last edited:
A nation like Drakia or the US where they would be in need of powerful artillery bombardment of guerrilla forces on land near coastlines... something like this could be used.

A nation like the US or (more dubiously)Draka could afford a battleship and would have the common sense not build a giant expensive waste of steel which can neither effectively conduct carrier operations or be safely used in any environment where something can shoot back at it

A nation like the US or (more dubiously)Draka could afford a battleship and would have the common sense not build a giant expensive waste of steel which can neither effectively conduct carrier operations or be safely used in any environment where something can shoot back at it
I didn't say it was smart to build. Just that this would be the best use for it and that the two countries could use it for such.

Weirdly enough, those jet fighters are probably pretty terrible compared to their OTL counterparts in the 50s and 60s. Without missiles, maneuverability is probably placed above speed and their weapon range is probably absolutely terrible with their continued use of guns and bombs. If the Separateverse keeps going down their current path they’re going to fall behind OTL, especially in airpower and long range engagements.

Weirdly enough, those jet fighters are probably pretty terrible compared to their OTL counterparts in the 50s and 60s. Without missiles, maneuverability is probably placed above speed and their weapon range is probably absolutely terrible with their continued use of guns and bombs. If the Separateverse keeps going down their current path they’re going to fall behind OTL, especially in airpower and long range engagements.
I'm concerned we could see a more widespread use of kamikazes in a serious war given Drakian fanaticism. Their concern with their population numbers could quickly be sacrificed to ideological fervor if the Custodial Race is in danger of badly losing a war.

Status
Not open for further replies.