A More Imperfect Union: A History of these United States

The American Republics after the First Civil War, 1797
Pcz872N.png

Last edited:
Legitimate question: How do these governments function? Not just facing the challenges of being divided like this, but in general?
You are completely correct. The fact of the matter is that its impossible for a state to centralize with such chaotic borders and non continuous states, to the angst of Alexander Hamilton. As a result, both states in both countries are pretty autonomous and really cannot be forced to do anything. With the Confederation at least the Articles already provide a template for governing. For the Republic that is much trickier, although they have the benefit of access to ports and being connected in the Mid Atlantic and New England. Its easier for the Republic to govern Maryland than Georgia for example. However the Republic still have to deal with all the growing pains that the United States did in OTL although at least this is somewhat easier with a more homogeneous population.

As it is right now they largely work together because they share a common interest in having a functioning central government especially with a resurgent Western Confederacy. But a state can easily go their own way and neither the Republic or the Confederation can really force a state to do anything. The Republic lacks the power and the Confederation lacks the power and the constitutional authority.

It's also worth mentioning that the borders between the Republic and the Confederation are porous and people can easily travel and trade. That is really important for trade and commerce so the economy of both countries aren't hindered. But really all the borders signify is where the authority of one consitution ends and another begins.

Considering how divided the US is ITTL, does this mean that some native groups fare better than IOTL?
You forget of the common American pastime of beating up the Native Americans :/

@theclerk Fixed

Also speaking of Native Americans. I'm afraid to announce a rather major retcon. The fact of the matter is that I've overlooked the impact of the Native Americans in the Northwest territories, in my original canon. Because of that, it has caused a lot more butterfly effects which lead to even more problems, so I've had to reevaluate and develop the canon for events for most of the 19th century. As a result I've redone the infoboxes on the Trenton Republic and Williamsburg Confederation. You can find it here
UFwUTEd.png

civil war time

Last edited:
Quick question on the most recent map: how is Allegheny its own state in 1797? Pittsburgh, which seems to be the capital, had less than 2000 people at the time of that map in OTL. Have there been alternate demographic effects on the area?

Quick question on the most recent map: who is running the state of Allegheny -- Pittsburgh, what seems to be the capital, had less than 2000 people at the time of that map!
Yeah it is the capital lol, its mostly farmers that live out there.

I had edited my post, but I guess what I really mean to ask is how did they get admitted as their own state when the region is so unpopulated in 1797?
Not really actually. The reason why they got accepted as a state is because they declared independence as a state and the Confederation in the spirit accepted them in. There is some immigration post war though, when Confederalist sympathizers migrate to the region.