A More Imperfect Union: A History of these United States

I'm guessing "to spite the other side".

But there's literally hardly anyone there - in fact, im surprised the whole area didn't just stay with Pennsylvania.

Not really actually. The reason why they got accepted as a state is because they declared independence as a state and the Confederation in the spirit accepted them in. There is some immigration post war though, when Confederalist sympathizers migrate to the region.

I take it you mean not really to my question of "Have there been alternate demographic effects on the area?" Either way, alright, cool!

Some more nit-picky stuff because I have nothing better to do haha:

- You have Scranton existing, but it didn't exist as an actual town until the mid-1850s, and even then it had less than 3K ppl.
- Nashville, though founded in 1779, wasn't incorporated until the 19th Century, and didn't have even 1K ppl until the 1810s
- Similarly, Memphis didn't exist until the 19th Century, nor did Atlanta, Knoxville didn't even have 2k ppl until the mid-19th century, Spartanburg wasn't incorporated until 1830s, and Buffalo had 16 houses in 1806 according to contemporary sources!

Although I take it the map is showing modern cities and thats why they are there?

But there's literally hardly anyone there - in fact, im surprised the whole area didn't just stay with Pennsylvania.

The population issue is true.

But you are using "logic and reason". Petty mindedness throws them out of the window in exchange for one-upmanship. Also, it blocks the Republic's access to the Great Lakes-Ohio River area.

Besides, are there any rules about how many people an area has to have to count as a state? Or can somewhere* just be declared a state by the other members?

*provided that it was not part of a pre-existing state already

I take it you mean not really to my question of "Have there been alternate demographic effects on the area?" Either way, alright, cool!

Eh yeah its mostly to spite them lol. Besides the entire region hates the Federalists!

And it was supposed to be a list major cities at the time, I think I just messed up because I didn't dig deep enough. Thanks though!

Another announcement to make. As you know I really want to avoid retconning as it really messed up my canon in my old timeline. However as I go through this TL, it is developing in ways that I have not not even considered. This TL is going in ways that i have not intended but in a good way. However that means retcons.

As such I am retconning the modern day America infobox. While the details will be different, rest assured that there will still be a United States of America in the present.

Eh yeah its mostly to spite them lol. Besides the entire region hates the Federalists!

And it was supposed to be a list major cities at the time, I think I just messed up because I didn't dig deep enough. Thanks though!

Cool beans! The quality of your content is super impressive can’t wait to see more. I love that you’re going in a pretty chronological order, makes the world feel a lot more congruent - plus it makes it easier to avoid retcons (half of the UAR has been retconned at this point XD)

Last edited:
Northwest Territory
Ax4jE6A.png

oXscgk7.png
The Northwest Territory in the modern United States (also known as the Old Northwest) was formed after the American Revolutionary War, and was known formally as the Territory Northwest of the River Ohio. It was the initial post-colonial Territory of the First United States and encompassed most of pre-war British colonial territory west of the Appalachian mountains north of the Ohio River. It was created as a Territory by the Northwest Ordinance on July 13, 1787, largely a vast wilderness sparsely populated by Indians including the Delaware, Miami, Potawatomi, Shawnee and others. The territory's status was thrown into doubt a few years later, when the Great Disunion occurred in 1789- effectively splitting the country in two.

Rufus Putnam succeeded as Governor half a year later, effectively under a military government. His term largely saw the Territory become the center of a power struggle between the Confederation and the Republic as well as attacks by Amerindians on settlements. Putman maintained the territory's neutrality during the First American Civil War, which resulted in an influx of refugees from what was then Virginia and Pennsylvania. The increased population further drove clashes between the settlers and the Amerindians, although the growing number of settlers allowed them to defend themselves. After the end of the Civil War, the increase in population to lead to support for reform among the population. A legislature was established in 1789 after the Civil War ended. The next year, William H. Harrison succeeded Putnam as Governor. However the reform efforts stalled quickly as conflict began across the countryside.

The Ohio Wars would rage across the territory for nearly twenty years. Although it was ostensibly a war between the American settlers and the burgeoning Amerindian Western Confederacy, for the first years of the war, the settlers were as much as conflict with each other as they were with the Natives. Eventually Harrison was able to organize an effective fighting force consisting of white settlers as well as Chickasaw and Choctaw mercenaries who were promised land and largely drove out the Confederacy’s tribes out of the region by 1818. Their victory in the Ohio Wars paved the way for settlement of eastern and central Ohio.

Since the end of the First Civil War, neither the Confederation or the Republic would allow the other to gain significant influence over the Northwest Territory. Under the tenure of Governor Harrison, the Territory effectively established itself as a self governing state. Nevertheless the Ohio Treaty - signed in 1825- affirmed the polity’s status as a territory under both the Confederation and the Republic. However the citizens of the Territory had formed their own distinct identity during their years of autonomy and resented having the C&R interfering in their affairs. Against the wishes of the C&R, future Governors would further the goal of an independent state through political and civil action. After their governing overlords eventually relented, the Northwest Territory would gain full nationhood in 1844 as the Republic of Ohio.

Can we get an idea of what the Confederation's and the Republic's plans for the Northwest Territory were? Or were they not really coherent beyond "MINE!"
Well the fact of the matter is that the Confederation basically has exclusive access to the Northwest Territory much to the dislike of the Republic. The Confederation basically viewed that it was the successor to the United States so it should have control over it. As a result two things happened 1) the Republic tried to have their settlers migrate in the Northwest Territory and 2) they tried to influence the government of the Territory to bring it under their control. Of course as you can see, it didn't really work. The fact of the matter is that the region's autonomy allowed it create its own national identity separate from the Republic or the Confederation.

So, are all of the Native tribes south and east of the Northwest going to be "encouraged" to move there?
No actually, Harrison gave them land because 1) he offered them land if they were to help him in the Ohio Wars 2) the Republic wants them out of the South. So in this case they aren't so much encouraged as they are offered land for the help massacring the natives already there. Regardless yes there would be "encouragement" for the other natives tribes as you mentioned.

Last edited: