From Exile to Triumph: a Western Roman Timeline

Africa is key to long-term Roman survival by this point. Short of an Arab migration several decades of peace should be enough to restore Africa. Integrating the Romano-Berbers also opens up the opportunity for more man power.
This assumes peace is a given and that the world will just sit there waiting for the empire to recover. The world around Rome (and even the internal situation) is quickly changing and the empire is going to need to prioritize certain fronts over others.
From what I call one historian said that so long as Rome held Africa it could survive indefinitely.
Peter Heather?
I wonder.. is there any "line" in the Pannonian limes which is easier to defend? Using mountains and rivers, I mean, plus forts. The fact that the region is lightly populated will not help, nor I see any trustworthy foederati to settle in.
Given the current situation Pannonia is going to be an headache for the Romans. I see the empire giving border lands to allied tribes once again if that can secure a buffer zone between Rome and everything else beyond the Danube. Cooperation with the Gepids and the usual strategy to let barbarians fight other barbarians might help. Currently the Danubian limes is not as safe as 2 century ago but probably in a better spot than the post-Justinian situation.

This assumes peace is a given and that the world will just sit there waiting for the empire to recover. The world around Rome (and even the internal situation) is quickly changing and the empire is going to need to prioritize certain fronts over others.

Peter Heather?

Given the current situation Pannonia is going to be an headache for the Romans. I see the empire giving border lands to allied tribes once again if that can secure a buffer zone between Rome and everything else beyond the Danube. Cooperation with the Gepids and the usual strategy to let barbarians fight other barbarians might help. Currently the Danubian limes is not as safe as 2 century ago but probably in a better spot than the post-Justinian situation.
Yeah that’s the one. I’m pretty sure he said how so long as Rome held Africa they’d have the necessary resources to maintain the western empire.

And I pity who ever gets out in charge of Pannonia. Dealing with continuous barbarian incursions and such will be a pain in the ass.

Yeah that’s the one. I’m pretty sure he said how so long as Rome held Africa they’d have the necessary resources to maintain the western empire.

The reconquest of Carthago is surely a blessing, but we shouldn’t underestimate the situation. The empire is still surrounded on almost all sides by hostile (or potentially hostile) powers. Let’s also not forget that many deadly wounds of the past came from within the empire.
And I pity who ever gets out in charge of Pannonia. Dealing with continuous barbarian incursions and such will be a pain in the ass.

And I pity whoever has to deal with the imperial court for an anonymous delation or a fine dagger can be as deadly as a barbarian’s axe.

what are you planning for the franks to become ? Will they have a charlemagne like persion ? Will their realm eventually split into west middle and east francia ? And what are the saxons currently doing? I know the focus is on west rome but i find it intresting to see what the effects on such things would be ^^

what are you planning for the franks to become ? Will they have a charlemagne like persion ? Will their realm eventually split into west middle and east francia ? And what are the saxons currently doing? I know the focus is on west rome but i find it intresting to see what the effects on such things would be ^^

Thats auctually an interesting question, i think it would be stupid for them to split up like they usually did which was a inheretence tradition, if they did it would be a prime opportunity for Rome tho

Thats auctually an interesting question, i think it would be stupid for them to split up like they usually did which was a inheretence tradition, if they did it would be a prime opportunity for Rome tho
I don’t think it’s something you can just butterfly away. It’s frankish tradition to spilt your domains amongst your sons. Which would perhaps allow a reconquest of Gaul/Frankia. It might not be some Gaullic wars level of epicness but a reconquest is a reconquest.

i dont know if a full reconquest by this time is possible, especially if it is possible to hold it over a long time, the empire is already surounded on all fronts, conquering gaul could seriously overstrech them, similar to justinians conquests overstreched the east. i Think it would be intresting to see what happens to these tribes though (Franks, saxons bajuwarians, allemans etc.) since they otl were the foundation of medieval europe

i dont know if a full reconquest by this time is possible, especially if it is possible to hold it over a long time, the empire is already surounded on all fronts, conquering gaul could seriously overstrech them, similar to justinians conquests overstreched the east. i Think it would be intresting to see what happens to these tribes though (Franks, saxons bajuwarians, allemans etc.) since they otl were the foundation of medieval europe
Agreed. For the time being, the best case scenario is having the Burgundians as allies and, possibly, the Franks fragmenting into 3 or four roughly equal sized parts. Maybe some border adjustments to make the coastal strip of Gaul the Empire holds more defensible, but this is really low priority compared to Africa and Pannonia.

Never said it had to happen now or anytime soon. Eventually the Franks will weaken, their realms will split and they’ll suffer from internal strife. Piece by piece Rome can retake parts of gaul from these warring factions. And given that Latin is more important ITTL I bet the gallo Romans will retain their identity so it’ll be more like a liberation than conquest.

what are you planning for the franks to become ?
Nothing definitive here but I want them to become a sort of “Bulgaria of the West”: a regional ambitious power, able to challenge Rome for control over Gaul, when the time is right, but also a power subject to division and infighting.

Will they have a charlemagne like persion ?
No they won’t, but maybe somewhere else a Charlemagne-like king could pop up.

And what are the saxons currently doing? I know the focus is on west rome but i find it intresting to see what the effects on such things would be ^^
I’ve no clear idea about them yet. I’m not even sure if they will ever feature in this timeline. Now it’s just an idea but I was thinking that they could do something similar to what they did to Britain and what the Normans did to the Mediterranean world, take advantage of an Age of Crisis and spearhead a new wave of invasions of the empire. But this as I said, is just a fantasy, not sure how realistic it is.

Lots of people did “stupid things” (according to modern logic) in the past but that’s because the alternative would’ve been even more foolish or dangerous. Let’s not forget that fighting and changing tradition is easier said than done.

I don’t think it’s something you can just butterfly away. It’s frankish tradition to spilt your domains amongst your sons. Which would perhaps allow a reconquest of Gaul/Frankia. It might not be some Gaullic wars level of epicness but a reconquest is a reconquest.
Eastern Rome failed to reconquer Italy (or even only the southern half of it) from the Lombards and those were far from being united. And Rome may not be able to move all its might against the Franks.

The Alemans are part of the Frankish polity by now, though I don’t remember if I’ve already mentioned it yet.

Agreed. For the time being, the best case scenario is having the Burgundians as allies and, possibly, the Franks fragmenting into 3 or four roughly equal sized parts. Maybe some border adjustments to make the coastal strip of Gaul the Empire holds more defensible, but this is really low priority compared to Africa and Pannonia.
Even Hispania is probably more important right now since the Visigoth are outright hostile to Rome. Keeping the Frankish kings at bay with gifts and honours should suffice the emperor for the time being.

Never said it had to happen now or anytime soon. Eventually the Franks will weaken, their realms will split and they’ll suffer from internal strife. Piece by piece Rome can retake parts of gaul from these warring factions. And given that Latin is more important ITTL I bet the gallo Romans will retain their identity so it’ll be more like a liberation than conquest.
I agree that the Gallo-Romans might retain their culture (especially inside the Burgundian kingdom) forcing the Franks and Burgundians to adopt more of their subjects’ identity. But you are assuming that Rome and “Francia” will be the only contestants here: the Burgundians might turn to the Franks once Rome become too aggressive/greedy, bordering barbarian tribes beyond the Rhine might have a say about what happens in Gaul and even the emperor may consider Gaul not worth the effort, especially when facing more pressing concerns.

Last edited:
Nothing definitive here but I want them to become a sort of “Bulgaria of the West”: a regional ambitious power, able to challenge Rome for control over Gaul, when the time is right, but also a power subject to division and infighting.

And what are the saxons currently doing? I know the focus is on west rome but i find it intresting to see what the effects on such things would be ^^[/QUOTE]
I’ve no clear idea about them yet. I’m not even sure if they will ever feature in this timeline. Now it’s just an idea but I was thinking that they could do something similar to what they did to Britain and what the Normans did to the Mediterranean world, take advantage of an Age of Crisis and spearhead a new wave of invasions of the empire. But this as I said, is just a fantasy, not sure how realistic it is.

Lots of people did “stupid things” (according to modern logic) in the past but that’s because the alternative would’ve been even more foolish or dangerous. Let’s not forget that fighting and changing tradition is easier said than done.

Eastern Rome failed to reconquer Italy (or even only the southern half of it) from the Lombards and those were far from being united. And Rome may not be able to move all its might against the Franks.

The Alemans are part of the Frankish polity by now, though I don’t remember if I’ve already mentioned it yet.

Even Hispania is probably more important right now since the Visigoth are outright hostile to Rome. Keeping the Frankish kings at bay with gifts and honours should suffice the emperor for the time being.

I agree that the Gallo-Romans might retain their culture (especially inside the Burgundian kingdom) forcing the Franks and Burgundians to adopt more of their subjects’ identity. But you are assuming that Rome and “Francia” will be the only contestants here: the Burgundians might turn to the Franks once Rome become too aggressive/greedy, bordering barbarian tribes beyond the Rhine might have a say about what happens in Gaul and even the emperor may consider Gaul not worth the effort, especially when facing more pressing concerns.[/QUOTE]

If the romans can take back most or half of Hispania even that could give then quite the power

This assumes that the Hispania they reconquer (when or if that ever happen) is the same Hispania you have in mind...

Also who gets the other half? ; )

Well all depends if they have a major war against Visigoths this would be defestating i suppose... i imagine they wouldnt be able to pull a conplete victory it would probably be staged over 2 wars, so i imagine if they were succeful they would initailly take around half or a third of Hispania from the Visigoths while the Visigoths take the rest unless the Suevi are still around by this point...

I agree that the Gallo-Romans might retain their culture (especially inside the Burgundian kingdom) forcing the Franks and Burgundians to adopt more of their subjects’ identity. But you are assuming that Rome and “Francia” will be the only contestants here: the Burgundians might turn to the Franks once Rome become too aggressive/greedy, bordering barbarian tribes beyond the Rhine might have a say about what happens in Gaul and even the emperor may consider Gaul not worth the effort, especially when facing more pressing concerns.

I know it is just a fantasy for the future maybe but how about giving the saxons a charlemagne leader and having them unite all or most of the germanic tribes against the franks ? this could get intresting when the "saxon empire" for a leak of better terms could do what the lombards did otl. Just a stupid idea i wanted to throw into the room^^

Well all depends if they have a major war against Visigoths this would be defestating i suppose... i imagine they wouldnt be able to pull a conplete victory it would probably be staged over 2 wars, so i imagine if they were succeful they would initailly take around half or a third of Hispania from the Visigoths while the Visigoths take the rest unless the Suevi are still around by this point...

Things might go a little bit differently than you expect…

That is unless we end up seeing the Arab caliphates take over soon

… and even thought the Arabs are still going to make their moves, they won’t be so successful as to reach Hispania and the Visigoths.

I know it is just a fantasy for the future maybe but how about giving the saxons a charlemagne leader and having them unite all or most of the germanic tribes against the franks ? this could get intresting when the "saxon empire" for a leak of better terms could do what the lombards did otl. Just a stupid idea i wanted to throw into the room^^

I was already planning this for another Germanic tribe as a consequence of events taking place in the Carpathian region. I’ve nothing against keeping the Saxons alive and independent since their interaction with the empire is going to be minimal at least until I find a possible use for them. Alternatively I might open a new poll/thread in the future and let people brainstorm something cool for them and other tribes I don’t know yet how to employ.

If they aren’t butterflied away that is. And even if they weren’t they won’t be facing two half dead empires.

We will still have the Arabs expand outside the peninsula, just in a different fashion and in a way resembling the OTL Germanic invasion. Also they won’t form one single polity.

Concentration, Centralization, Stabilization!
That should be the only goal of Rome.

I agree: here Rome will remain a pretty powerful empire able to bully most of its neighbours as long as it retains peace and cohesion within it. Unfortunately most of the time the Romans will prefer to fight among themselves.

The Bulgaria of the West you say? Hmmm....The Byzantines had Basil II the Bulgar Slayer so the Romans would have a Francicus Maximus or Gallicus Maximus

I agree: here Rome will remain a pretty powerful empire able to bully most of its neighbours as long as it retains peace and cohesion within it. Unfortunately most of the time the Romans will prefer to fight among themselves.
What they need is a long and stable dynasty that establishes the tradition of peaceful succession from father to son. This was how the Capetians strengthened their hold on France and gradually expanded the power of a King away from the weakened elective monarchy. The Romans had many opportunities in the form of the Macedonian dynasty, Isaurian dynasty, Constantinian dynasty, Julio-Claudian dynasty, Nerva-Antonine, Severan, etc. Perhaps the dynasty of Nepos accomplishes this purpose.

e will still have the Arabs expand outside the peninsula, just in a different fashion and in a way resembling the OTL Germanic invasion. Also they won’t form one single polity.
Still doesn't really make much sense to me as to how they beat the Romans. Both the Romans and Persians have their own buffer/client-states of the Lakhmids and Ghassanids. If something were to threaten them, then this would draw the notice of the Persians or Romans. The Eastern Empire is also more stable here with control over its provinces and no Gothic War or massive war with the Persians to sap their resources. The Romans fought four times with the Persians. The fought under Justin and Justinian in the Lazic War over Iberia, Khosrau's invasion of the East, when Justin II refused to pay tribute, and when Khosrau II invaded after Maurice was assassinated. There also was no civil war like the one Heraclius started with Phocas.

Last edited: