Here are my ideas for intermodal facilities...

As part of his famous transport budgets, President Eisenhower ordered the creation of various intermodal facilities where rail, road, and air could all interchange cargo and passengers. To that end, the first place to make such an attempt was Chicago.

Midway Airport was ultimately chosen to be the location. As while O'Hare was busier, the land near Midway was more vast. Which allowed more land to be used. The groundbreaking for the grand building, which hosted the airport and rail station, began in March 1955. The first railroads to relocate to the rail station were the Chicago NorthWestern, Baltimore & Ohio, and Illinois Central. All of whom sold off their respective stations to use as such things as apartments, shopping centers, and in the case of the B&O Terminal the site of the Chicago Railroad Museum.

@Andrew Boyd

For intermodal stations, First i have in mind are LAX in L.A., Logan Internacional in Boston; Dulles in D.C., open in 62, you could have project built by new standart intermodal connections by this time; Atlanta and Miami on South.

I still don't know where could be the intermodal facilities in NYC? Where airport have land avaliable around to build?

Though I'd give some ideas on steam engines my TL's Burlington Northern could use in the 1980s:

ACE 7000 4-8-2: The ACE 3000 with numerous improvements.

ACE 8000 4-8-2+2-8-4: A condensing Garratt variation (special tanks to @TheMann for letting me use his ideas).

ACE 6000 2-10-10-0: A garratt-mallet hybrid.

Last edited:
I also thought I would share some details on Canadian steam engines in my TL. Most of which are adapted from ideas by @TheMann.

Hint: Both Canadian railroads own 2-8-4s, while Canadian Pacific uses the original Selkirks a a design which they use to create a new class of 4-10-2 Cab Forwards.

Here are some ideas for Amtrak trains that use host railroads in my TL. If Amtrak does come about.

Anyways, on to Amtrak and their host railroads: Part 1

City of San Fransisco
- Empire State HSR/New York Central (New York - Buffalo)
- Amtrak Midwest (Buffalo - Chicago - St. Louis - Kansas City)
- Southern Pacific/ex-Rock Island (Kansas City - Denver)
- Denver & Rio Grande Western (Denver - Salt Lake City)
- Southern Pacific/Union Pacific (Salt Lake City - Oakland/San Fransisco)

City of San Fransisco
- Empire State HSR/New York Central (New York - Buffalo)
- Amtrak Midwest (Buffalo - Chicago - St. Louis - Kansas City)
- Southern Pacific/ex-Rock Island (Kansas City - Denver)
- Denver & Rio Grande Western (Denver - Trinidad)
- Atchison, Topeka, & Santa Fe (Trinidad - Albuquerque - Flagstaff - Phoenix)
- Southern Pacific/California HSR (Phoenix - Los Angeles)

Lone Star
- Amtrak Midwest (Chicago - St. Louis)
- Missouri Pacific (St. Louis - Poplar Bluff)
- Atchison, Topeka, & Santa Fe/ex-Firsco (Poplar Bluff - Memphis)
- Southern Pacific/ex-Rock Island (Memphis - Little Rock)
- Missouri Pacific (Little Rock - Ft.Worth/Dallas)
- Texas Central (Ft.Worth/Dallas - San Antonio)

City of New Orleans
- Amtrak Midwest (Chicago - St. Louis)
- Illinois Central (St. Louis - Memphis - Jackson)
- Amtrak Southeast (Jackson - New Orleans)

Empire Builder
- Amtrak Midwest (Chicago - Twin Cities)
- Burlington Northern/ex-Northern Pacific (Twin Cities - Seattle)

California Zephyr
- Amtrak Midwest (Chicago - Des Moines)
- Southern Pacific/ex-Rock Island (Des Moines - Denver)
- Denver & Rio Grande Western (Denver - Salt Lake City)
- Southern Pacific/Union Pacific (Salt Lake City - Oakland/San Fransisco)

In addition, now for some privately run trains. These still run as part of a deal where the railroads get to operate them, and help Amtrak in exchange for local and to a lesser extent federal subsidies.

New York Central
- Lake Shore Limited: New York - Albany - Buffalo - Cleveland - Toledo - South Bend - Chicago

Atchison, Topeka, & Santa Fe
- Super Chief: Chicago - Peoria - Kansas City - Wichita - Trinidad - Santa Fe - Albuquerque - Belen - Flagstaff - Los Angeles
- Texas Chief: Chicago - Peoria - Kansas City - Wichita - Oklahoma City - Ft. Worth - College Station - Houston - Gavelston

Rio Grande
- Rio Grande Zephyr: Denver - Salt Lake City

Southern
- Crescent: Washington DC - Lynchburg - Charlotte - Atlanta - Birmingham - Meridian - New Orleans

What do you guys think I should do with Missouri Pacific?

If I don't put it in with the MoPac, I can see it survive by getting up the CGW, then maybe working with either CNW (assuming UP doesn't get that). Or UP/BN.

Personally, I like the idea of it working with the Rio Grande to shuttle freight east, freight from Mexico to shuttle north, and freight from the BN to shuttle south.

For my next big act, I'll cover the famous 4-8-2s of my TL:

Southern Pacific 4354
This engine was built by the SP themselves in Sacramento, and mainly hauled passenger trains in the western half of the system. Ultimately, 4354 became the sole survivor of the class when she was saved by a preservationist group led by Disney animator Ward Kimball, and endorsed by Walt himself. She was eventually stored in a warehouse until 1975, when she was taken out for restoration. Today, she proudly treks through California, often doubleheading with the famous 4449.

Missouri Pacific 5321
The Missouri Pacific's MT-75 4-8-2s, of which the 5321 was a member, were 1939-1940 rebuilds of the MT-69 group delivered by ALCo in 1919. For service on its premium passenger trains the railroad's Sedalia, Missouri shops applied 75-inch disc drivers, lightweight rods and roller bearings to the engines. The MoPac was apparently proud of its creations and featured 5321 in the 1951 edition of Rand McNally's World Railways. This honor is mostly likely the reason she was marked for preservation in Sedalia alongside 4-8-4 2117, where she stood until 1981 when the MoPac, emboldened by the success of mainline steam excursions across the country, restored her for said purpose alongside the 2209, another MoPac 4-8-4. Today, she still runs on both native rails and those of the Chicago North Western, which the MoPac bought in 1985, and other railroads in the Midwest and Southeast.

Illinois Central 2613
Like the 5321, this engine was built by the railroad it served, and was preserved in the shop where it was built for that reason. She would be displayed in Paducah, Kentucky for several years until 1966, when she was again bought out for excursions. Unfortunately, a boiler problem sidelined her for about twenty years, but that was soon over and she has stomped across Mid-America since. Of particular note is when in 2001 she hauled the City of New Orleans, by that point an Amtrak express, from Paducah to Jackson, MS.

Wabash 2822
The 2822 was one of the 25 Mountains the Wabash bought rom Baldwin. She spent much of her life on freights between Montpelier, Ohio and Decatur, Illinois. Upon retirement, she was put on display in Logansport, Indiana. Which made her an ideal candidate for mainline excursion when the Indiana Transportation Museum located itself to the former interurban line down to Indianapolis. She was restored by 1979, and has often run to Ft. Wayne to meet Nickel Plate 765. Complete with the two double-heading often.

Baltimore & Ohio 5562 and 5585
These two T-3 Mountains were operated by B&O on mixed traffic, but mainly freight, service and during then were re-numbered 704 and 726. They were eventually retired in 1961, and were sent along with EM-1 7069/659. At which point they regained their original numbers. In 1979, the B&O decided to celebrate their 150th anniversary by running the two engines and the 7069 in excursion service. Unfortunately, the 7069 was damaged in a roundhouse fire and returned to Baltimore. But the two T-3s are still going strong, and have since ventured on to former Reading and Jersey Central tracks at times.

New York Central 3001
She was chosen to represent the L3 Mohawk in the "Big Three" of 1930s-1940s NYC Steam at Elkhart, IN. Eventually, she was resotred along with her stablemates Hudson 5405 and Niagara 6012. Having since met up with engines like Niagara 6015 and Dreyfuss Hudson 5445.

Frisco 1522
Since 1988, this engines has often work in the South. But as of late, the Santa Fe has allowed her to travel beyond native trackage to New Mexico and other places on the original, pre-Frisco takeover Santa Fe network. She was even doubleheaded with 4-8-4s 3751 and 2926 and 2-10-4 5030. She particularly operates several excursion on the Santa Fe out of Peoria or in Missouri and Kansas during the summer at times.

I was looking at Midway airport on Google Maps, and was thinking a new station could occupy OTL's L Train yard. It's really close to the Belt Railway of Chicago yard too. So we could easily have a freight station nearby too.

What do you guys think?

Here's the thing with what my TL might do with passenger rail:

Given how much I plan to revitalize urban areas during the 1940s through 1960s, I'm not convinced butterflying Amtrak is that ASB. Of course there will be need for subsidies, but that's what my budget plans ITTL are for, as well as mass de-regulation.

In addition, I can see the railroads teaming up with airliners like what @TheMann did with NYC and PanAm. Hell, I can seven see Santa Fe getting in on the PanAm alliance as well to create a New York-Los Angeles service. The Santa Fe alone could use the advantages a train would have over a car in its advertising. Since it would be a shame for drivers to be unable to see all the western vistas.

As for HSR, I can definitely see some privately run services. Like OTL's Virgin Trains USA in Florida. One example that comes to mind is the Southern Pacific running TTL's analogue to California HSR or the NYC in New York state. Both beginning with electrification and other upgrades in the mid 20th Century. That said, there may be need for a government-private coalition to get it running in places like the Midwest.

Lastly, steam excursions may be bigger and start sooner than OTL.

If you're looking for private HSR without Amtrak I'd strongly suggest avoiding Penn Central, and doing what you can to electrify NYC - better still if you can push through the B&O/NYC merger. Healthy competition in the Northeast is almost the perfect environment for it to emerge. I could well imagine NYC Turbos competing with PRR Shinkansen derivitives.

As for California, TBH I'd point more toward Santa Fe than SP. You're looking at one road that was early and strong in it's disaste for passengers, and another that almost didn't enter Amtrak as things were OTL. At the same time, Santa Fe had relatively high speed operations on it's transcontinental service. It's hard to see them electrifying before some sort of oil crisis without a pre-war POD, but they would be well positioned for Turbotrain type things that would most definitely quality as high speed with proper infrastructure. In California they've got problems northbound out of LA, but aside from that they've even got routes better suited for speed than the coast, and actually very similar to the current CHSR plan.

The other interesting one to me is Milwaukee (please, for the love of all things holy find a way to keep it going, not that that's hard without management wedded to abandonment for their own reasons). This is one of the few places where more extensive electrification seems easy, and the Hiawatha's were very fast. If there is money in passengers service and capital available filling the western gaps in electrifcation shortly after the war is a no brainer. Electrifying Chicago to Minneapolis for high speed passengers is plausible, albeit probably requiring an outside push, at which point I suspect the writing is on the wall for closing the gap at some point before the turn of the century.

If you're looking for private HSR without Amtrak I'd strongly suggest avoiding Penn Central, and doing what you can to electrify NYC - better still if you can push through the B&O/NYC merger. Healthy competition in the Northeast is almost the perfect environment for it to emerge. I could well imagine NYC Turbos competing with PRR Shinkansen derivitives.
No fear. Penn Central is indeed butterflied.

As for California, TBH I'd point more toward Santa Fe than SP. You're looking at one road that was early and strong in it's disaste for passengers, and another that almost didn't enter Amtrak as things were OTL. At the same time, Santa Fe had relatively high speed operations on it's transcontinental service. It's hard to see them electrifying before some sort of oil crisis without a pre-war POD, but they would be well positioned for Turbotrain type things that would most definitely quality as high speed with proper infrastructure. In California they've got problems northbound out of LA, but aside from that they've even got routes better suited for speed than the coast, and actually very similar to the current CHSR plan.
There are several things my TL will do to allow Southern Pacific do it, many of which are borrowed from @TheMann. The first one is my plan to have the SP reroute the line to Bakersfield via Santa Clarita. Besides, my TL's SP would be subsidized by the state. Nonetheless, most of this is still in development.

The other interesting one to me is Milwaukee (please, for the love of all things holy find a way to keep it going, not that that's hard without management wedded to abandonment for their own reasons). This is one of the few places where more extensive electrification seems easy, and the Hiawatha's were very fast. If there is money in passengers service and capital available filling the western gaps in electrifcation shortly after the war is a no brainer. Electrifying Chicago to Minneapolis for high speed passengers is plausible, albeit probably requiring an outside push, at which point I suspect the writing is on the wall for closing the gap at some point before the turn of the century.
Indeed my TL's MILW is saved. Mainly through stake being bought by SP and Canadian National. There's more to think about on that part though.

I've been pondering recently. But should I have certain consolidations happen in the 1950s?

I was thinking specifically Southern Pacific + Rock Island. With Santa Fe + Frisco happening as a direct consequence.

If any of you are interested, I had ideas for if the Lima Standards in my main series are rebooted in the 1950s. This time using influences from South Africa, as in my TL, South African railways are standard gauge as opposed to Cape Gauge.

Here are some possible options I had for how my TL can get Union Pacific into Chicago:

- UP buys up Chicago Northwestern.
- UP gets to use Southern Pacific's former Rock Island via Des Moines and Quad Cities.
- MoPac gets the Chicago Great Western then merges with CNW. With CNW's own line being better for Chicago - Kansas City traffic, the MoPac sells UP the CGW's Chicago - Omaha line via Dubuque and then north of the state.

How about the UP directly merging/buying the CGW instead of their OTL CNW merger? The UP and CGW connect end to end at Omaha, St. Joseph and Kansas City.

Here's another list of my TL's possible railroads by 2014

Northeast

Pennsylvania Railroad
Once the egotistical ill man of Northeast railroading, the Pennsylvania managed to enjoy a series of reversal of fortunes. Starting when the PRR managed to take over the New Haven, expand their stake in the RF&P, then bought up long-time subsidiary Norfolk & Western. The latter of which had already expanded to Richmond in the 1930s. Under the rule of Stuart Saunders, the correction process went easily. Electrification was renewed, freight rail innovations were created, and the railroad managed to create the coalition that formed Amtrak. Today, the PRR is still a major player in the railroad scene. By far one of the two dominant players in the Northeast alongside rival New York Central, The PRR's line from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia via Altoona and Harrisburg is also one of the busiest freight rail routes in the world. In Modern times, the PRR's HQ is in Philadelphia, PA (at Keystone Plaza in the city center), and its operations run out of several facilities, most notably the company's vast yards at Columbus, OH and Chicago, IL. The PRR's diesels were at first all Brunswick Green, as was its electric fleet. But this has since paved leadway to the Tuscan Red making a comeback on the more recent electric engines. In addition, the railroad's co-operation with Amtrak has led to the HSR trainsets operated in that region being pained in the standard Amtrak Silver Base with Tuscan Red as the specialized color.

New York Central
A legend in the Northeast that managed to live through the rough times of the 1960s and 1970s by being flexible, fast and above all efficient. New York Central's modern business focuses on the moving of freight from Chicago and St. Louis to New York, Boston, Toronto and Montreal, as well as serving the auto industries along its route and providing bulk service in the Midwest. The "Central System", as it is often called today, retains that tradition of technical and efficiency expertise, and its electrified 'Water Level Route' from New York to Chicago via Albany, Syracuse, Buffalo, Erie, Cleveland, Toledo and South Bend is one of the most important rail lines in the whole country. Perlman's successors and their successors (including Perlman's son, Michael Perlman) run the company to this day, and NYC in modern times is held in a very high regard by the communities they serve. The NYC may take its name from New York, but it has since 1988 been based in Buffalo, NY, at an office building adjacent to the massive station they built there in the 1920s, which today is the junction point between the Midwestern System, Empire Corridor and St. Lawrence River high-speed rail systems, all of which are supported by the Central. The Central System itself still runs the New York-Chicago Lake Shore Limited as a luxury train, which is one of the few remaining private passenger trains. NYC locomotives have nearly all regained 'lightning stripe' black, silver and dark grey paint scheme, replacing the austere black paint that most NYC locomotives began sporting in the 1960s.

Chesapeake & Ohio/Baltimore & Ohio
Better known as the Chessie System, this railroad is one of the increasingly dominant competitors in the Northeast. Their lines have expanded since the 1960s to include the Erie Lackawanna, Nickel Plate, and other small railroads in its fold. However, they especially see the PRR as their main adversary especially in the coal country of Pennsylvania and the Virginias. The Pennsylvania Railroad as part of the Interstate reorganization also chose to sell off its interest in the Baltimore and Ohio, which by that point included the CNJ and Reading. B&O promptly was swept up by the Chesapeake and Ohio. However, legal and financial constraints, as well as operational factors, resulted in the C&O-B&O combination being one of two separate railroads which would, however, develop as one through the 1970s and 1980s. Today, the two railroads are still distinct from each other through their paint schemes. The C&O uses yellow with orange and dark blue whereas B&O uses blue, gray, and black.

Why my main TL is in limbo, I thought I'd use this thread to test my pop culture ideas. Starting with Walt Disney Animation:

First his mother's death leads to Walt deciding to quit smoking. Assuming the smoke, rather than the actual habit, could kill him one day.

Per the persuasion of Ward Kimball, Walt chooses to go through with directing Cinderella. This leads to several changes from OTL's film.
-- Prince Charming is actually named Robert, and is shown as a nature lover.
-- It is explained that Cinderella's actually named Ella. Which is how she got her iconic nickname.
-- In general, all changes that would result from Walt himself directing change the film for the better.

The Jungle Book is also much closer to the Kipling models, when Don Bluth stays at Disney and joins others in making the case for Bill Peet's take.

The 1970s of Disney begins mostly as OTL, albeit without Walt's death. He ends up being unsatisfied with the Aristocats. Ultimately, the final straw is when Robin Hood is pitched as mostly recycling animation. As a result, he deliberately passes it off and makes a deal with Don Bluth. He will greenlight Bluth's proposed adaptation of Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH if he first proves his point with a more traditional Disney film. Bluth ultimately adapts Sinbad the Sailor, with musical numbers provided Andrew Lloyd Webber and Richard Stilgoe. on its release in 1975, it is acclaimed as Disney's much needed return to form.

Bluth's subsequent project, The Secret of NIMH, is released in 1979 and also acclaimed though it is not as acclaimed and makes less than Sinbad. Afterwards, Bluth decides on another collaboration with Andrew Lloyd Webber. This time, they ironically decide on adapting a T.S. Elliot book of poems as the 1981 film Cats, which is better received than NIHM for being lighter and more like a Disney film. After this, Bluth does not collaborate is on the 1983 film Chanticleer and the Fox, which has a country-western sound to its soundtrack. Soon, Bluth decides it is soon time to start downgrading his role in the studio, leaving new people to direct The Black Cauldron (1984) and Basil of Baker Street (1986). Ultimately, he collaborates one more time with Andrew Lloyd Webber and Richard Stilgoe on the 1987 classic Rapunzel. Which stars Catherince Cavadini as the title character, stand-up comedian Maurice LaMarche as Prince Eugene, and Roseanne Barr as Mother Gothel. The film is acclaimed, and the number "Crazy", sung by Prince Eugene, is particularly popular.

After that, Bluth leaves the Disney Twilight era to people like John Clements and Kirk Wise. Whereas he mostly works on the B0-Movies like All Dogs Go To Heaven (1990) and Mistress Mashram's Respose (2002). However, he briefly returns to a few projects after the shock success of The Lion King (1994), which stars Cam Clarke as Simba, Catherine Cavadini as Nala, Nathan Lane as Timon, and others.Though he soon returns to B-Movies by the new Millenium.

Walt just lives life happily until his eventually death in 1997.