Rumsfeldia: Fear and Loathing in the Decade of Tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or shitheels.
That's kind of a universal one :p I think it's more appropriate for the Rumsfeldian bunch.

I think these petty insults very much downplay the sheer anger and disillusionment that will exist ITTL.

I mean, ITTL Americans have literally gone to war with one another, with one side planning to convert/exterminate the other. Most Americans ITTL have grown up being taught they were all equal. And within a matter of months, they've gone to trying to murder one another for the most nonsensical reasons.

Genocidal violence and terror have gone from things you read about in a newspaper or watched on TV, to things you yourself are trying to survive.

And it isn't a communist enemy doing these things, but your own fellow American.

If you lived in say, 1964, and witnessed the Civil Rights Act being passed, you can never imagine a generation from now the government doing things that surpass that excesses of Jim Crow.

Petty insults do little to capture the sheer fury that so many Americans will feel about their own government and neighbors turning on them.

All I'm able to say is "Thank god Martin Luther King died in 1965. He didn't have to see this."

You mean, 1968.

But yeah. Imagine being a civil rights activist in the 1960s. And then living long enough to see the very nation you believed in not merely roll back civil rights, but descend into violent, racist, and genocidal madness.

How do you live through that and keep your faith in humanity?

Imagine the veterans of WW2 who might have seen the concentration camps and now have to see the exact same horrors again this time brought to there shores not by communist or fascist spies but by fellow Americans, or even by some of there own.

You mean, 1968.

But yeah. Imagine being a civil rights activist in the 1960s. And then living long enough to see the very nation you believed in not merely roll back civil rights, but descend into violent, racist, and genocidal madness.

How do you live through that and keep your faith in humanity?
I think you've mixed up MLK and Malcolm X.
Yeah, my bad. Forgot when exactly he died.

And quite honestly, after all that, I doubt the African-Americans (or at least the current generation or two) will ever regain their faith in the United States. Those living in California, New England, and Texas will have it better, but the ones in CSA-occupied territory will have seen some really bad shit.

If you don't mind me asking when are we getting the next big update (and how many updates are left/will there be a possible sequel about the rebuilding of America after the toilet 80s era)

When the author(s) finds the time.

I doubt there will be an America left to rebuild. At the very least, the United States we know is never coming back.

My homes is that Preacher Presley and some others can possibly lead a campaign to reunite America and become the Second Founding fathers reforming the United States from the horrors of Rumsfieldia and the CSA.

And quite honestly, after all that, I doubt the African-Americans (or at least the current generation or two) will ever regain their faith in the United States. Those living in California, New England, and Texas will have it better, but the ones in CSA-occupied territory will have seen some really bad shit.

I did write a sort of fanon update about 100 pages back that looked at this, with the Black Panthers and other groups looking to bring black people under their umbrella so that they could form a strong, radicalised block. It was basically more hinted at though than given a major focus.

I doubt there will be an America left to rebuild. At the very least, the United States we know is never coming back.

Honestly I agree with that, but that doesn't mean they won't go on living, getting up every morning even if they lost everything, and trying to make a life for themselves even it was lesser than it was before.

Even the ones who live in those areas were still victims of discrimination, and they would still be...broken by the fact that the people they shared a nation with eagerly plotted their deaths.

If you don't mind me asking when are we getting the next big update (and how many updates are left/will there be a possible sequel about the rebuilding of America after the toilet 80s era)
Given this TL and Gumbo, I think america will fall to far-left totalitarian government or somaliesque war zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.