Rumsfeldia: Fear and Loathing in the Decade of Tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Popular Vote Cast on Tuesday, November 8, 1988
  • Party President Vice President Pop.Vote %age
    Christian Values: Marion G. "Pat" Robertson (VA)- Steven D. Symms (ID)- 24,777,362- 31.2%
    Fusion: William F. Winter (MS)- William V Roth (DE)- 15,484,181- 19.5%
    Libertarian: Ronald D. Galtieri (MT)- John Hospers (VA)- 14,407,248- 18.1%
    We The People: Bobby L. Rush (IL)- Charles Barron (NY)- 8,888,765- 11.2%
    Democratic: Thomas S. Foley (WA)- Paul S. Sarbanes (MD)- 6,950,032- 8.7%
    Republican: Donald R. Dwight (MA)- Shelby Smith (KS)- 5,858,321- 7.4%
    Other: 3,118,483- 3.9%
    Total: 79,484,392

Popular Margin- 9,293,181- 11.7% to CV

Eligible Voters 165,157,278
    Turnout 48.13%
    Eligible Voters determined by 1980 Census figures

Rummy with a smiley face and a Bible
  • Co-authored with Bookmark 1995

Friday, January 20, 1989

Chief Justice Strom Thurmond gives the Oath of Office to President-elect Pat Robertson. Observers note that Thurmond looks a little morose. Of more immediate note is the fact that outgoing President Jeremiah Denton chooses not to attend his successor’s inauguration. This is the first time this has occurred since 1921, when Woodrow Wilson did not attend Warren G. Harding’s inaugural (that was due to Wilson’s illness). This occasion more closely resembles the situations when John Adams (1801), John Q. Adams (1829) and Andrew Johnson (1869) did not attend their successor’s inaugural due to animosity. (Before the inaugural, the Dentons had refused to receive the Robertsons for tea at the White House, a situation which had last occurred in 1953 when the Trumans had declined to receive the Eisenhowers).

Thurmond: Sir, are you ready to take the Oath.

Robertson: I am.

Thurmond: Please raise your right hand and repeat after me. I, Marion Gordon Robertson do solemnly swear...

Robertson: I, Marion Gordon Robertson do solemnly affirm…

Thurmond: That I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States...

Robertson: That I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States...

Thurmond: And will to the best of your ability...

Robertson: And will to the best of my ability...

Thurmond: Preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States...

Robertson: Preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States...

Thurmond: So help you God.

Robertson: Absolutely, so guide me in they will, oh mighty God!

Thurmond: Congratulations, Mr. President.

Transcript of Pat Robertson's Inaugural Address

My fellow Americans, I humbly take-up this great office in accord with God’s almighty will and in His name. I am but a man, an acting President, acting in His name and according to His will. For truly Jesus Christ himself is our Eternal President in heart and in deed, and should be so inscribed in our law, to proclaim that these United States are truly the Christian States of America. I act according to His will, humbly submitting myself to His service, and hold this office by His grace and according to His will.

As the Psalmist records: “I delight to do Your will, O my God; Your Law is within my heart."

My fellow Americans, my fellow believers, today marks the end of a horrific storm. A storm powered by sin, avarice, and apostasy. For the past fifty years, the great American nation has suffered the hardships of poverty, injustice and a declined of our national spirit created by division and a loss of a solid moral footing.

Today, for many of our fellow citizens to obtain the bare necessities of life is in itself a tremendous struggle. That this should happen in a nation that but a generation ago enjoyed greater peace and prosperity than anywhere else on this globe is a sign of how far we have fallen.

There is one answer to our current misery, our current state of affairs: Godlessness.

By adopting a wretched swill of relativism, moral equivocation and by forgetting the very values by which this great Christian nation was founded we have opened our national heart to being possessed nu the very demons of paganism, homosexuality, addiction, abortion, and feminism.

This has been our great national sin. We have disregarded the word of God himself, and have born a terrible price as a consequence. That this occurred is just, for it is proclaimed in the Bible that all who transgress against the will of God shall suffer the bitter fruits of their sin. So we have been punished, and so we suffer from what our willful, sinful nature brought on ourselves. Our weakness before God has allowed these troubled times to seize us, to strangle our faith, our beliefs, to threaten the structure of our families.

It would be too easy for us to blame one man, or one group of men for this affliction. But this was not the work of one President, or one Congress. Rather it was the work of all Presidents over the last six decades, who allowed the moral rot to infect our national soul, of all Congresses over six decades which passed into laws the abominations which were purposefully set against God’s great ordinances as written in scripture, and of all of us wo aided and abetted this process by voting for the easy, the quick and the comfortable. This is the collective sin of America.

From this day forth, we will not waver in the face of the Almighty, we will remain his warriors, and hunt down sin and vice among us. My father, Absalom Willis Robertson, God’s warrior in the Senate, sought to fight against the elements that sought to disrupt our way off life. As the Good Book says, Honor thy Father, so too will I honor his quest to stamp out the sinners threatening to undo our society.

This is not the easy road, not the quick road. The struggle will be long and hard, the path fraught with difficulty. No sin is purged but with pain, so God himself has taught us, though a sinful and heedless mankind has failed to learn the lesson.

For scripture itself says:

“Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.

And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

He that loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

And he that takes not his cross, and follows after me, is not worthy of me.”

So today, we take up his cross and follow the path of righteousness. Here, in an ungodly America, and soon enough in an ungodly world. We shall put right on His name what has been made wrong by man’s sinfulness, and we shall be His warriors in the crusade to prepare the world for His return, when His will shall command us all.

Some will say that my words – His words – violate the First Amendment. Some will argue – as they have argued throughout our years of immorality and disgrace – that there must be a wall between belief in God and the state. To them I say, your view of the First Amendment is flawed. To them – and to all of you – I say that the idea of a government without God is a recipe for anarchy and disaster. What shall we make of the First Amendment then? It says Congress shall not establish a religion for the nation. I say to you that we do not call on Congress to establish a religion. Rather the people have spoken, at the ballot box and through the Electoral College – and they have established the religion for this nation, and that is the Christian belief in the one true God. They have chosen obedience to His true ordinances as revealed in scripture. They have chosen God’s great First Amendment – the Bible – freely and unequivocally. We will expect Congress to fulfill their wishes. They will expect Congress to submit to His command.

To the world I say, we are here to do God’s work upon this wretched Earth, and let no one stand in our way, for they will be standing in His way, and mighty will be His wrath against those who dare to stand in His righteous path.

To that end we will continue to support our allies in South Africa, who everyday fight unholy, godless Communism in the on-going struggle to bring a righteous, Christian rule to that savage continent.

To that end, we will end the effort of the past administration to abandon the people of Cuba and return them to the godless thuggery of Communist dictatorship. We will continue the efforts to bring liberty to Cuba, and to spread God’s Holy Word to her people.

Let no one dare to doubt our resolve. Though our land is troubled, we are God’s warriors, and we shall use the might He has gifted us with to face any foe at any place and at any time, to secure His righteous Kingdom for all eternity.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tim LaHaye: I see that Robertson used the acting President line.

Coe: Yes, he seemed to agree that it made him seem more of a servant to the Lord than he would claiming the Presidency outright.

LaHaye: But does not calling himself only the acting President weaken him? Look at the debate they had about Gavin’s true status.

Coe: Let them argue over fine points like ancient Pharisees. It is meaningless babble to true believers. But keep in mind, an acting President is easier to replace, and using the title will encumber him and his successors, if we need to encumber them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Cabinet of President Pat Robertson:

Vice President: Steven Symms

Secretary of National Intelligence Coordination and Oversight: Douglas Coe

Secretary of State: Robert Grant

Secretary of Defense: General James Dorman

Secretary of Treasury: Charles Keating

Attorney-General: Edwin Meese

White House Chief of Staff: Tim LaHaye

Special Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs: Daniel Pipes

The United States Senate – 101st United States Congress (Jan. 3, 1989-Jan. 3,1991)

All Class 1 seats were up for re-appointment. Because President Rumsfeld had acted aggressively to exercise his appointment power under the 28th amendment in 1986 and 1987, the State Governors seized the opportunity to assert their rights to appoint this group in 1988. The Denton Administration had not moved to block this assertion of the Governor’s rights, seeing it as an opportunity for many Governors who were opposed to the CVs to appoint Senators who would oppose the incoming Robertson Administration. In some states this provided an opening for CV Governors to appoint loyalists, however this was seen as an unavoidable trade-off. President Denton also wanted the Governors to be able to assert their rights in this matter to create a Constitutional precedent that would carry forward into the Robertson Administrations term of office and beyond.

All Class 2 seat holders had been elected (or re-elected) in 1984 and were the last group of Senators to be elected by voters prior to the ratification of the 28th amendment. As such many of the Class 2 Senators came to regard themselves as having a special role as the true voice of the people. This idea began to form a Senatorial alliance that crossed all (except Christian Values) lines. An unresolved question was what would happen in 1990, when these seats came-up for re-appointment. Since President Rumsfeld had acted so aggressively to claim the Class 3 seats, and President Denton had allowed the Governors to claim the Class 1 seats, a battle was expected between the two for the right to fill the Class 2 seats (a situation which had not been clearly spelled out in the 28th amendment as finally adopted). President Denton had hoped that enough Governors would retain enough authority to prevent President Robertson from having a free hand in the matter in 1990.

All Class 3 seat holders had been appointed by President Rumsfeld in 1986 in accordance with the 28th amendment. All had been loyal (or had made it appear they were loyal) to Rumsfeld. After his fall, President Denton had cultivated some allies among this group, while others defected to the Christian Values. Many who did defect had been CV adherents who had been appointed by Rumsfeld – as nominal Republicans – to placate his CV supporters. Others who were “genuine” Republicans (in the sense that their political careers had been within the GOP, some pre-dating Rumsfeld’s election in 1980) had sought a kind of political cover by working with Denton and supporting the Fusion ticket in the 1988 Presidential election. They were not considered to be reliable by the CVs.

Republicans = 70-24 = 46

Democrats = 21-1 = 20

Christian Values = 7+14=21

Libertarians = 2+5=7

Independent = 0+2=2

President of the Senate: Stuart Symms (CV-ID)

President pro-tempore: Birch E. Bayh (D-IN)

(Senator Bayh was chosen for this role as part of an alliance between the anti-Administration Republicans and Democrats in an effort to create a cross-party, anti-CV leadership in the Senate.)

Senate Majority Leader: Donald Dwight (R-MA)

Senate Minority Leader: Gary Howard (CV-LA)

Alabama

2. John Gracen (CV) (elected 1984, prior to the passage of the 28th amendment)

3. Rumsfeld Appointee (CV)

Alaska

2. Donald Hobbs (D) (elected 1984, prior to the passage of the 28th amendment)

3. Rumsfeld Appointee (R)

Arizona

1. Bruce E. Babbitt (D) – Governor’s appointee

Arkansas

2. Mike Huckabee**(CV) – Governor’s appointee

Colorado

2. Ken Kramer [R] (elected 1984, prior to the passage of the 28th amendment)

Connecticut

1. Carl R. Ajello (D) – Governor’s apointee

Delaware

1. Michael N. Castle (I) – Governor’s Appointee

2. James Baxter (R) (elected 1984, prior to the passage of the 28th amendment)

Florida

1. A CV member appointed by the Governor

Georgia

2. John Stokes (R) (elected 1984, prior to the passage of the 28th amendment)

Idaho

2. A. Libertarian (Lib) (elected 1984, prior to the passage of the 28th amendment)

Illinois

3. David O'Neill (R) (Rumsfeld appointee)

2. Judy Koehler [R] (elected 1984, prior to the passage of the 28th amendment)

Indiana

1. Birch E. Bayh (D) – Governor’s appointee

3. Roger Marsh (R) (Rumsfeld appointee)

Iowa

3. Charles Grassley (R) (Rumsfeld appointee)

2. Arthur A. Neu [R] (elected 1984, prior to the passage of the 28th amendment)

Kansas

2. Lucille Biggler [R] (elected 1984, prior to the passage of the 28th amendment)

Kentucky

3. Mary L. Foust (R) (Rumsfeld appointee)

2. Mitch McConnell [R] – - (elected 1984, prior to the passage of the 28th amendment)

Louisiana

2. Gary Howard (CV) - (elected 1984, prior to the passage of the 28th amendment)

Maine

1. George J. Mitchell (D) – Governor’s appointee

2. Llewellyn Smith (D) - (elected 1984, prior to the passage of the 28th amendment)

Maryland

1. Harry R. Hughes (D) – Governor’s appointee

Massachusetts

2. Donald Dwight (R) - (elected 1984, prior to the passage of the 28th amendment)

1. Elliot Richardson (R) (Re-confirmed – Governor’s appointee)

Michigan

1. Governor’s appointee (D)

2. Jack R. Lousma [R] - (elected 1984, prior to the passage of the 28th amendment)

Minnesota

1. Hubert “Skip” Humphrey III (D) (Re-confirmed- Governor’s appointee)

2. Joan Growe (D) - (elected 1984, prior to the passage of the 28th amendment)

Mississippi

1. Governor’s appointee - CV

2. William Winter (D) - (elected 1984, prior to the passage of the 28th amendment)

Missouri

1. Governor’s appointee - CV

Montana

2. Ronald C. Galtieri (Lib) - (elected 1984, prior to the passage of the 28th amendment)

1. Governor’s appointee - Lib

Nebraska

1. Governor’s appointee - Lib

2. Donald Shasteen (R) - (elected 1984, prior to the passage of the 28th amendment)

Nevada

1. A Libertarian (Lib) – Governor’s appointee)

New Hampshire

2. Gordon Humphrey (R) - (elected 1984, prior to the passage of the 28th amendment)

New Jersey

1. Brendon Byrne (D)

2. Mary V. Morachy (R) - (elected 1984, prior to the passage of the 28th amendment)

New Mexico

1. Jeff Bingaman (D)

2. Toney Anaya (D) - (elected 1984, prior to the passage of the 28th amendment)

New York

1. Guy Molinari (R) – Governor’s Appointee

North Carolina

2. Jesse Helms (R) - (elected 1984, prior to the passage of the 28th amendment)

North Dakota

1. A Libertarian (Lib) – Governor’s appointee

Ohio

1. Paul Leonard (D) – Governor’s Appointee

Oklahoma

2. David L. Boren (D) - (elected 1984, prior to the passage of the 28th amendment)

Oregon

2. Denny Smith [R] - (elected 1984, prior to the passage of the 28th amendment)

Pennsylvania

1. John Murtha (D) – Governor’s Appointee

Rhode Island

2. Rumsfeld Appointee *** (R)

1. John Chaffee (I) – Reconfirmed; Governor’s appointee

South Carolina

2. Oliver Gilgamesh (CV) - (elected 1984, prior to the passage of the 28th amendment)

South Dakota

2. Larry Pressler (R) - (elected 1984, prior to the passage of the 28th amendment)

Tennessee

1. A CV – Governor’s Appointee

2. Victor Ashe [R] - (elected 1984, prior to the passage of the 28th amendment)

Texas

1. Clayton Williams (CV) ****

2. Phil Gramm [R] - (elected 1984, prior to the passage of the 28th amendment)

Utah

1. Orrin Hatch (R) –Reconfirmed; Governor’s appointee

Vermont

1. Rumsfeld Appointee (CV) *****

Virginia

1. A CV – Governor’s Appointee

2. Stan Parris [R] - (elected 1984, prior to the passage of the 28th amendment)

Washington

1. Thomas Foley (D) – Governor’s Appointee

West Virginia

1. A CV – Governor’s appointee

2. Grim Baylor [CV] - (elected 1984, prior to the passage of the 28th amendment)

Wisconsin

1. Les Aspin (D) – Governor’s Appointee

Wyoming

1. A Libertarian (Lib) – Governor’s Appointee (CV)

2. Victor A. Ryan (D) - (elected 1984, prior to the passage of the 28th amendment)

** After David Pryor’s “nervous breakdown” in 1987, Rumsfeld appointed Mike Huckabee to fill Pryor’s Senate seat. In 1988, he switched his affiliation to the Christian Values Party.

*** Claiborne Pell (D) had been sitting senator until 1987, when he was arrested for trying to prevent David Pryor’s “institutionalization”.

**** Senator Lloyd Bentsen had also been removed, and was replaced with Rumsfeld appointee Clayton Williams, who would later defect to CV

***** Thomas Salmon had been also institutionalized under a nervous breakdown treatment, and was replaced with a Rumsfeld appointee.

Saturday, January 21, 1989

The Hughes Network begins broadcasting at its new HQ in Virginia Beach, VA. The move out of New York City is attributing to the hostile political environment in New York City, and the result of the closer collaboration between Christian Values and Hughes.

President Robertson introduces several pieces of legislation:

The Americans Jobs Act, a massive New Deal-style legislation that would allow millions of Americans to get back to work, rebuilding America’s infrastructure. This is passed by both Houses of Congress

The Moral Decency Act, which would suspend habeas corpus for those accused of the following crimes: “homosexuality, abortion, adultery, perversion, addiction, dealing of narcotics, pornography, paganism, parasitism, obscenity, corruption.” The Secretary of National Intelligence Coordination and Oversight will oversee the enforcement of these bills. Law enforcement in all 50 states are required to aid federal authorities and carry out arrests, with failure to do so will result in those figures being arrested under these laws. Those arrest shall be sent to moral decency centers for an indefinite period of time, until they are considered to be “morally rehabilitated”. It becomes known as the “American Enabling Act”. It passes through the House quickly but becomes stalled in the Senate.

The Juvenile Delinquency Act, which suspends habeus corpus for children accused of crimes under the Moral Decency Act, and requires their indefinite detention in youth rehabilitation centers. Passes the House but becomes stalled in the Senate.

Protect the Unborn Child Act, which bans abortion under all circumstances. A woman who attempts to abort a pregnancy, or anyone who counsels, suggests or provides information about abortion procedures “or procedures which could in their application, whether intentional or inadvertent lead to an abortion or an abortion-like situation” will be accused of murder and will be charged under the Moral Decency Bill. The AMA among others points out that this is so broadly worded as to effectively criminalize all but basic medical treatment for a pregnant woman. This too passes the House quickly but becomes stalled in the Senate.

Healthy Education Act, which would ban the teaching of evolution in public schools in all 48 states, and allow teachers to engage in school prayers, and that students must engage in school prayer if called for, lest they be charged under the Juvenile Delinquency Act. Passes the House but stalled in the Senate.

The Family Security Act, which considers “the union between a man and union indivisible in the eyes of God,” and thus does not recognize divorce in all 48 states. It also gives the father of a household authority over all domestic matters. This bill also withdraws interstate recognition of civil marriages and any marriage not conducted by a Christian or Jewish minister in accordance with the long established laws and traditions of those two faiths. Passes the House but stalled in the Senate.

The Agricultural Credit Bill, which would provide loans to farmers to rebuild their cropland from the effects of pollution. A clause is inserted during the debate, which is ignored, but which will grant the government the ability to “confiscate agricultural produce during a time of upheaval, with compensation to be deferred to the end of the conflict.” Passes the House, and the Senate by a vote of 53-43.

The bills begin a major debate in Congress.

Pat Robertson appears on television, declaring the era of Rumsfeldism over, and asks the international community for the end of international sanctions. “Rumsfeld was a sinner, but our cause is holy.”

SNICO Douglas Coe begins the setting up of the Extraordinary Executive Commission for Enforcement of Scripture and Protection from Heresy. Tim LeHay will become the Chief Commissioner of this shadowy body whose mission remains vaguely undefined, but will come to be called “The American Inquisition.”

Sunday, January 22, 1989

Prime Minister Neil Kinnock appears on television, and says that sanctions will not end, citing Pat Robertson’s rhetoric, and the continued occupation of Cuba.

“Mr. Robertson has claimed that Rumsfeldism has ended. While this is desirable, the President’s troubling, often inflammatory rhetoric leaves us concerned about whether American politics have indeed returned to a democratic path. His opposition to ending the war against the Cuban people shows us that little has changed. Until these troubling concerns abated, sanctions will remain in place.”

The White House

Tim Lahaye: Wretched sinners! These European socialists rebuke our desire for business and mock his word-

Pat Robertson: Brother Tim, enough. We will soon bring those sinners, as well as the apostates in California and the Northeast, to our knees in due time. For now, we must be patient while we build up the Holy Arsenal.

Wednesday, January 25, 1989

Food riots break out in Calcutta, India. The government’s confiscation of food during the war against Pakistan had led to major food shortages in the country. The Gandhi government sends troops in to put down the protests.

The Indian government has struggled to maintain control of the countryside due to growing secessionist movements, and is also being squeezed by the war in Pakistan.

Thursday, January 26, 1989

Luiz Inacio Lula Da Silva, aka Lula, proclaims the Democratic Republic of the Amazon in the city of Manaus. The territory it controls stretches across much of Northern Brazil.

Though denounced by military strongman Henrik Granas as “a communist puppet”, Lula is largely independent of the Soviet Union, though receiving some technical and political aid from the Italian and Mexican government.

Lula’s government is a broad coalition of middle class workers, black and pardo Brazilians, Amazonian workers (including rubber tapper Chico Mendes), environmental activists, and Cuerdan activists, and implemented democratic self-management by employees in the areas in controls.

It distinguishes itself from the Mato Grosso secession by being a mostly secular rebellion, while Mato Grosso is a mainly Cuerdan rebellion.

Since the loss of military aid from the US, the Brasilia government has lost a lot of ground to both rebellions, and is facing unrest in many major cities over its dictatorial policies, economic calamity, and failure to put down both major rebellions.

Friday, January 27, 1989

A search of the Cuerdan office in the Vatican uncovers more evangelical tracts. Pope Pius claims an investigation will occur, but that the Cuerdan cause is mainly just.

The College of Cardinals and Opus Dei begin a major petition to censure the pope for the “the failure to defend Christendom”. They cite this and his overtures toward British Protestants.

Monday, January 30, 1989

The Moral Decency Act passes the House of Representatives 225 (200 CV, 25 R) to 162 (71 L, 49 D, 25 R, 16 WTP. It now begins a vigorous debate in the Senate.

Tuesday, January 31, 1989

A blistering debate appears in the Senate over the Moral Decency Act. The odd couple of Jesse Helms and Skip Humphrey lead the charge against the bill, claiming it would torpedo American civil rights.

Governor Ed Crane and other libertarian figures denounce it as a “libercide bill.” Governor (and former President) Wallace calls this bill “a war on the rights of citizens”.

Billy Graham, Elvis Presley and other religious leaders, from Catholic to Mormon, also oppose the bill as “toxic to true Christians and their mission.”

New York Governor Spiro Agnew, known for his tough on crime stance, also appears on television to denounce the bill.

“I’ve said before we need to clean up our streets for the God-loving, law-abiding citizens. I’m no friend of the conniving criminal class, and we ought to amend our laws to make it easier to throw the book at them. But if we suspend the constitution in the name of law and order, we risk becoming little more than the barbaric brutes we claim to oppose. Our political rights are what separate us from the communists, and from the common thug who rules through fear and terror. I beg our senators not to give into hyperbolic hysteria, to remember their duty, and vote no.”

Wednesday, February 1, 1989

Hughes Ad:

Spiro likes to say he is a friend of law and order. But is he really?

Clip of him pardoning himself for his tax and bribery schemes.

“Only a self-admitted crook would dare defend the people destroying the American family. Ignore Spiro the Fraud and demand your Senators vote for Moral Decency.”

Office of the Governor, Albany, New York

Governor Agnew sat there, watching the Hughes Ad on television. His face was serene, but his mind a thunderstorm of rage.

“I put those sons of bitches on the map, and this is how they thank me?! Calling me a crook! Ingrates!”

He took the remote control, and threw it against the screen of the TV.

Through February 1989

The Senate resists passing the Moral Decency Act, The Juvenile Delinquency Act, the Healthy Education Act, The Family Security Act and the Protect the Unborn Child Act tying them up in debate and filibuster. The blocking alliance consist of 20 Democrats, 7 Libertarians, 2 Independent and 22 Republicans who argue that these acts are un-Constitutional. They are joined in this contention by many non-CV Governors. Many denounce threats by the CV Party and the Hughes Network to blackmail them.

At the beginning of March 1989 President Robertson signs versions of all of the Acts as Executive Orders, directing the Attorney General and the Secretary of National Intelligence Coordination and Oversight to enforce their provisions in the interests of the national security of the United States.

“Alas, the willful liberals and their fellow travelers have resisted God’s holy ordinances, so I have exercised my executive authority in His name to protect our nation. Now God’s warriors can now begin their work of stamping out the rot that threatens to tear apart our society. We will eliminate the deviant behaviors and lifestyle that have oppressed the God-fearing majority in our society,” President Robertson says over the television.

Though not technically laws, the provisions become known as the February laws.

The President’s actions face a court challenge by Sen Donald Hobbs (D-AK), who claims the Executive orders are “the death of the Constitution”. He is joined in those challenges by Democratic, Libertarian, and WTP figures. The court rulings becomes known as Hobbs v. Robertson.

While the Executive orders are staid pending judicial review, the Robertson Administration largely ignores the court orders and begins to prepare jurisdictions to make mass arrests. Across the Midwest and South, abandoned military factories are being brought online.

February 5-10, 1989

Protests breakout across the nation against the February laws. Unfortunately, these protests are dwarfed by mass protests in favor of the bill by Christian advocacy groups. Holy Battalions, however, do not interfere in them. It is believed that this occurs so that protest groups can expose their believes in public, which leaves them liable for CV arrest at a later date.

Negotiations continue in the Senate over the bills, with some of the Republican supporters weakening as a result of blackmail threats.

Sen. Ronald Galtieri (Lib-MT): “I’m not surprised that some of those weakened Rumsfeldians would waver, since they believed in nothing but power in the first place. Since they believe in nothing, they act like spineless cowards to save their worthless political careers while the country blows up around them. I spilt on all of them.” Senator Galtieri had planned to resign from the Senate in protest, but changes his mind once the law suits are launched, seeing that he is needed in Washington to try and block the acts.

While the Senate’s resistance is going on, Christian Values operatives begin to maneuver at the state level to call an Article V Constitutional Convention, which they plan to use to by-pass the Senate and write the February laws into the Constitution itself.

Saturday, February 18, 1989

The Free Natal Forces has captured large parts of the city of Durban, with forces loyal to the Inkatha Freedom Party.

The Free Natal Army, despite being denounced as a “kaffir Communist front,” is a multiracial force led by Blacks, Anglos, and Indians, as remains one of the strongest opponents of the Malan regime.

The Free Natal has also managed to recruit disillusioned Afrikaner soldiers.

Monday, February 20, 1989

In Kimberly, South Africa, dozens of Afrikaner farmers begin protesting the compulsive use of chemical weapons for running the water and soil. The protests are brutally suppressed by the South African security services.

Malan blames “kaffir terrorism” on the damage to the soil.

It has become clear the use of biological and chemical weapons by South Africa has wreaked enormous havoc on the country’s biosphere. These protests indicate that the damage is starting to affect the country’s food supply.

Tuesday, February 21, 1989

The Santiago government orders troops in the city of Antofagasta to gun down Cuerdan “Communists” who have lain in the streets to block the movement of military vehicles. Much of the city has been taken over by Cuerdan protestors, who have managed to shut down other cities.

To the shock of the government – and surprising many overseas - many common soldiers refuse to fire guns at the Cuerdan protestors. Since 1988, Chile’s economy has suffered from sanctions and the loss of aid from the federal government. While Pat Robertson claimed Pinochet to be a “pious man,” he has not followed that through with any substantial aid. While Chile makes a great deal of money from arms sales – especially to Israel and South Africa – much of that national income has been squandered on corruption and grandiose infrastructure projects which have become large money pits.

Pinochet has been forced to cut soldier pay and benefits, with has increased the disillusionment among Chilean soldiers, especially as they’ve been forced to fire on protestors with Catholic beliefs.

February 21-27, 2018

President Robertson pays a state visit to Israel, where he meets with right-wing Israeli leaders and proclaims his belief in Christian Zionism (which embarrasses some Orthodox Israeli Cabinet members who object to the term on religious grounds). President Robertson prays at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, and proclaims that the United States will recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and proclaims it the “true capital of Earth.”

On the same trip President Robertson pays an unannounced visit to Kaapstad, South Africa where he meets with Magnus Malan and his cabinet.

Monday, February 27, 1989

Kaesong Industrial Park opens in DPRK, as a place where private enterprise can be properly managed. North Korea’s government, keen in developing some of that “MBA Communism”, has allowed a laboratory where economic experimentation can take place.

Japanese and South Korean companies invest heavily in factories and stores in Kaesong, eager to take advantage of the cheap labor and low taxes.

JAPEX, Japan’s largest oil company, starts a joint venture with Gazprom, Soviet Russia’s state gas company, to develop natural gas fields in the Russian Far East.

Office of the US Attorney for the Southern District of New York

US Attorney Kelsey Grammar looked up from his desk, and sees Chief of Staff Tim LaHaye watching him. Clearly someone on the staff had let the gruesome troll in without informing Grammer first. Even here, the CVs had their agents.

“Yes, Mr. LaHaye, how may I be of service to you,” Grammar asked, with a forced politeness that he hoped masked his disgust.

“You can be of great service to the Lord Mr. Grammar,” LaHaye said with a somewhat crooked smile.

“How may I do that?” Grammar said, confused.

“End your crusade against the Lord,” LaHaye responded.

“Crusade? I’ve been trying to learn about the connections between drug cartels and our very treasury-,”

“That’s what I mean,” LaHaye burst in. “This…investigation is merely a distraction against the true work of the Lord. Within the next few days, we will begin an investigation of the Devil’s agents.”

“I don’t see what role I have in that, sir,” Grammar said with a little derision. LaHaye didn’t notice. “You’ve suspended habeus corpus, so I don’t know why you would need a prosecutor.”

“You can be great warrior on the bench, striking fear into God’s enemies.”

He is asking me to become his inquisitor, his personal Torquemada in his religious crusade – or at least his deputy, since LaHaye already seems to have that role.

“Rumsfeld already made me his personal hammer,” Grammar said with a bit of shame, “I have no further interest in being a tool for political oppression.” LaHaye glared at him.

“Perhaps you are not God’s warrior, but merely a sinner in disguise,” LaHaye said calmly, with a growl. “You are aware of what becomes of sinners, are you?”

Grammar met LaHaye’s glare with an iron hard stare of his own. The look that could cut through steel they called it in court. LaHaye seemed unmoved by it.

“The Justice Department is not beholden to anyone man, but the Constitution. Do not presume that you can order it what to do.

“All men are beholden to God. This department, this office,” he pauses for effect, “and even you. And with hHs word, you can easily find yourself in the eternal fire,” he finished with a smile. “think about your options, Mr. Grammer, You don’t have much time to decide which path you will take.”

Without a further word, LaHaye walked out.

Grammar glared at where LaHaye once stood, and slammed his fist on the table, unable to proceed.

Soon after he called Governor Agnew on the Governor’s private line, a number that Agnew had given to only a few people. All he said, when Agnew picked-up was, “I’m with you.”

Tuesday, February 28, 1989

Returning from South Africa, Pat Robertson meets in Guatemala City with Guatemalan dictator Oscar Victores. Victores declares Robertson “a true defender god” and announces his conversion to Evangelism.

Pat Robertson promises him military support against the Cuerdan “Heretics, whose allegiance is to a Godless horde.”

The British and Taiwanese government submit the question of sovereignty over the former Portuguese colony of Macao to an international tribunal. Macau has been occupied by forces from Britain, Australia, New Zealand and Canada since the fall of the People’s Republic of China (even as the British Protectorate Government in Hong Kong has extended its sphere of control up the Pearl River as far as Canton and much of the surrounding hinterland). The Republic of China (Taiwan), backed by Japan, continue to press it claims for the return of Hong Kong and Macau to its control.

In these areas, robbed of development by the policies of the Lesser Mao, Hong Kong businessmen begin to see places of prime development, to help ease overcrowding in the city itself.

Fiat and Zastava form a joint venture factory in Zagreb to build cars for the Eastern bloc market. The factory is also meant to experiment with innovative ideas about employee self-management.

Friday, March 10, 1989

The United States Supreme Court rules 6-3 in favor of upholding President Robertson’s right to issue the February laws as executive orders, citing the President’s inherent authority in matters of national security. The court’s majority finds that the moral issues the executive orders deal with are an imminent threat to the national security of the United States. Strom Thurmond, William Rehnquist, and Byron White are the dissenters.

Elie Wiesel (from his exile in Paris): Some days I wish I had perished, alongside my father, so I would not have to see history repeat itself.

Saturday, March 11, 1989

23 Republicans, all of whom voted for the Moral Decency Act, announce that they intend to join the CV caucus.

David O’Neil (CV-IL): Our party once stood to defend the family against Godly traitors. Now they tell us that we are unconstitutional, for willing to do what needs to be done to expunge this cancer from our body. Well, you know what they, you can’t make an omelet without breaking a few eggs. Eggs in this case are licentious sinners. We will gladly join or Godless brothers and sisters in the moral crusade.

United States Senate Composition After March 11, 1989

Christian Values: 21+23=44

Republicans: 46-23-23

Democrats: 20

Libertarians: 7

Independent: 2

While the Christian Values do not have a majority in the Senate, they gain more influence over many Congressional Committees. They also oust Sen. David Dwight (R-MA) as Majority Leader and replace him with Senator Gary Howard (CV-LA)

The South Korean military brutally puts down pro-democracy riots. The ruling junta puts out a statement saying that western style democracy is un-Korean.

Wednesday, March 15, 1989

The February Laws begin their enforcement. Almost immediately, state and local police throughout the US begin enforcing the tenets of the Moral Decency Act and the Juvenile Delinquency Act. People charged under it are being arrested indiscriminately, and shipped off to moral decency centers.

Some state governments begin closing abortion clinics and begin mass arrests of abortion doctors. Others resist implementation of the February laws.

Douglas Coe: Now we see our enemies in their naked evil.

Indianapolis, IN

Officer Ted Harris smiled as he saw a collection of junkies and homeless being pulled out of their crack house. The Holy Battalions finally made it possible to get rid of these parasites.

“We got two more,” Roger, one of the Battalion leaders said, as he saw two prostitutes, in their trampy outfits, being carted away.

The liberals would have those whores welfare and made the government pay for lawyers, rather than send them to jail where they belong, and ruin this town. Whatever you say about the Battalions, they really knew how to take out the trash.

He was broken from his reverie by a familiar male scream. He turned around and saw an old man, and a little girl being dragged away-

Wait, that was Bill Tanner and his daughter Sophie.

Bill Tanner ran the neighborhood comic book store. He was considered by many to be a genial fellow. He always donated Christmas profits to charity, which earned him the respect of a lot of people. His daughter, who helped him manage the store, was a short, but clever girl.

“Ted help,” Bill said desperately. The sound of Bill’s voice, and Sophie’s cries made him run over to help him.

“What is going on,” Ted asked the Holy Battalion man present.

“This man is a horrible sinner,” the HB figure said with disgust.

“The man sells comic books,” Ted said with disbelief, “he’s not selling pagan-“.

“These comics,” the HB man, whose nametag labeled him Joseph, said dramatically, “are filth- full of obscenity and violence.” He paused, as he saw the HBs use a flamethrower on the crack house they had just emptied. Ted turned his eyes away from the flaming building, and noticed how Joseph looked elighted at the sight of the burning. Like he was a kid watching a fireworks display.

“This seller of filth needs to be given just punishment, and then he may return to society,” Joseph finished. Sophie’s cries began to ring out.

“Well, why are you taking Sophie,” Ted asked, as he saw one of the HBs dragging her out onto the same truck as with the junkies.

“She was clearly exposed to the material, and filled with all the wrong kind of ideas. We will be sending her to a purification center, where her mind will be cleansed of obscene thoughts,” he said. As he turned, he saw several Battalions carting many of Bill’s possessions, clothes, furniture, money, out and loading them unto a truck where they had confiscated the possessions from the rabble they had just arrested.

“Leave me alone,” Sophie screamed as she was separated from Bill. “Daddy, help me.”

“Don’t worry pumpkin,” Bill said, putting on a brave face, even as his voice sounded uneven. “It’ll be fine.”

“Look, Joseph,” Tim pleaded. “Just give the girl a second chance, she hasn’t-“,

“Do you wish to question the Lord and His ways, and do you wish to be deported,” Joseph asked chillingly. Tim raised his voice to protest, but then saw the warning in Joseph’s eyes. Tim, ignoring the cries of Sophie and Tim, turned away from them to arrest more people. He shuddered as he heard the flamethrower being used on the comic store.

Three Hours Later- Holy Steel Mill-Gary, Indiana

Bill Tanner marched lockstep with the rest of the “sinners” as they approached the factory courtyard. He looked around the other people, many of whom he would consider rough, but he could no longer differentiate himself from them, no matter how much he pleaded with the Battalions, who responded by belting him the face with his gun.

They all had the clothes on their back confiscated, and were made to wear orange jumpsuits. Their heads had also been clean shaven. As they approached the courtyard, an elderly woman in a sharp business suit with an escort of two surly faced Holy Battalion warriors came out to address them. Battalions.

“You are here because you have all rejected God,” the woman said into a loudspeaker. “You have forsaken His word, and are now sent here to heed your place before Him. You will learn about true faith, and you will work until you’ve either repented, or have fallen behind and are cast off to the eternal fire. Remember, work shall bring you closer to Heaven. Slacking off will send you to hell”

That was said with a grimness that made Bill shiver in fear.

“Will they be the ones that might send me to heaven…Or Hell?”

For now, he would be a good drone and do what he was told.

Ten Years of Terror: The Rumsfeldia-CV Period- Francis Fukuyama-2002

For many apologists of the Christian Values, there is a tendency to see the mass detention and forced labor of human beings by the CV in terms of an honest attempt to purify society. Perhaps among followers, there was a genuine belief in building a pure society. But this masks the true intentions of the CV. But first we must understand the mindset of the CV, and the precedents for their action.

The Christian Values, since their inception in the late 1970s, saw the rot of American society in terms of social attitudes that conflicted with their Christian sensibilities. By 1989, they had gained the necessary political power to begin to cut out these perceived evils.

Many of the CV leadership also saw a world that was full of vice and sin: they looked to the East, and saw a Europe building growing ties with the Soviet Union, a Central and South America that was trading its US-backed dictators for Cuerdan and social democratic policies, and an increasingly mighty Japan to the West, as well as an economically mighty South East Asia. To the North where Canada had saved itself from division and was building itself up, thanks largely to the challenges posed by the Rumsfeld years. A similar situation prevailed across the southern border in Mexico, and in Texas, were a sovereignty movement was threatening to repeat California’s succession. The Pope himself was railing against the Christian Values party’s hardline beliefs while embracing the Cuerdans.

Within their own country, California (which, in their mind, was a bacchanalia of vice) was seceding from the Union, a collection of cooperatives had taken over much of the West and implemented social policies that disgusted them, and several Northeastern States were refusing to heed their policies.

As known by many, the CV were planning to launch what they called “their Final Crusade” to eliminate these perceived threats, both at home and abroad.

To this end, Robertson and Coe decided they would need to build up a rapid military arsenal, quickly and cheaply, that would cow the entire world.

Their plan was simple, yet brutal: the system of hyper-industrialization powered by forced labor. Their labor force would compose of people who were widely perceived as “un-American” by the majority.

This plan had many precedents throughout history: though one cannot escape the irony inherent in these examples.

Joseph Stalin had built his system of forced labor through the arbitrary imprisonment of supposed “enemies”, and it was through the brutal exploitation of his people that he was able to build a giant industrial colossus that could compete with the rest of the major powers. Hitler too had used this policy to rid himself of “undesirables”.

Many of the components of the CVs exploitative policy, despite the protests of many, had precedents in recent American history as well.

Since the 1960s, every major politician had campaigned on a policy of law and order and cleaning up the streets in reaction to Supreme Court rulings that sought to defend the rights of the accused. As crime rates soared in the 1970s (especially during the epidemic of China White) this tough stance gained ground. The 1980s especially saw many of the rights of the accused curtailed during the Rumsfeld years. The CV used that to launch their moral crusade.

Prison labor also had precedent too. Many Southern states had long used prison labor in the Jim Crow Era, and as many CV were of Southern orientation, they had little trouble seeing it as a good policy.

The seizing of property and wealth from the arrested and profiting from it also been used by previous law enforcement in the form of civil asset forfeiture, which allowed the confiscation of property without a warrant in many US jurisdictions. This was many used in fighting drug crimes, but was simply expanded into including the “moral criminals” the CV wished to target.

The arrest quotas that made the Battalions seize as many people as possible were also commonplace in many law enforcement communities well before the rise of the CV-or even Rumsfeld. Holy Battalions were encouraged to exceed quotas through monetary, or spiritual rewards.

This used of forced labor was also heavily supported by Rumsfeldian megacorporations that had benefited greatly from the elimination of worker’s rights, and sought to maintain a cheap workforce at all costs. They in turn promised lucrative positions for CV politicians once they decided to leave office, as all forms of laws regarding bribery had been stripped away.

Once arrived, the workers were subjected a range of physical and verbal abuse. They were told that only through hard work and service for the Lord would they be allowed to leave.

The conditions that they endured were horrific. They were forced to work in dangerous conditions with no pay, and often times minimal pay. Accidents or collapse from overwork were blamed on the workers, and punishments were either physical abuse, or even worse, months of solitary confinement. Many were humiliated in public too, if only as an example to the others.

Many were branded on their foreheads with letters than indicated the nature of their crimes. “A” for adultery, “P” for parasitism.

Workers also did not receive any break time. When they were not working their tail off, they were made spend up to six hours a day in long prayer sessions. In some cases, they were forced to stand for hours, which added to their physical exertion. Those who collapsed from exhaustion were declared “weak in faith” and were dragged away for punishment.

At first, the deportations hit the low hanging fruit of prostitutes, low level drug dealers and criminals, addicts, abortionists, homosexuals, and the many homeless. These figures were heavily targeted, as for years, political rhetoric had taught the majority of the heartland that these people were less than human, and deserved nothing but to rot behind bars. And many others were convinced that CV labor could help them be “redeemed.”

The many youth (usually arrested for moral crimes) seized in this process would end up in CV schools, which were glorified juvenile halls. Many would also be subjected to a regime of forced labor and spiritual abuse, but another darker purpose would be used for the youth.

As the demand for workers grew, and the quotas rose, and rebellion swept through the nation, and the CV felt themselves under attack, the Holy Battalions would widen their net in the search for more so-called sinners. Even those who supported the legislation would find themselves snared.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, March 22, 1989

The State of Oregon passes a resolution declaring the “February laws” have run roughshod over the Constitution and that they will not be enforced.

White House

“Accursed Satanists!” SNICO head Douglas Coe muttered. “We should crush them-,”

“In time Brother Coe,” President Robertson said. “In time. We must let them get complacent like Oregon.”

“But then they can easily build up their defenses-,”

“Rumsfeld, the weak-willed sinner he was, put them at ease with his refusal to bring them to heel. No, we must have patience,” Robertson said.

Coe wasn’t convinced. He began grinding his teeth.

Thursday, March 23, 1989

The state of Washington passes a similar resolution to Oregon.

In Boise, Idaho, police officers and other libertarian activists tear up copies of the February Laws.

South Korean and Republic of China frontier units exchange fire in the border areas. This incident does not immediately escalate into another war, but does increase tension. Some blame Japanese covert operatives for provoking the incident.

Friday, March 24, 1989

Governor (and former President) George Wallace appears on Alabama television to denounce the February Laws. He signs a resolution also promising the state of Alabama will not endorse those laws.

Alabama is the only state in the Southeast that has explicitly refused to endorse the February Laws.

Militias controlled by a coalition of whites, Cape Coloureds, and blacks have taken control over much of the city of Cape Town. Due to shortages of men and material, many troops loyal to Malan have fled the city.

Hughes Network airs The Righteous Battle, in collaboration with the Christian Broadcasting Network. It is a fictionalized depiction of the settlement of the New World. In it, the Indians (which are referred to “savages”) are corrupt pagans, while the British settlers are righteous people protecting the faith. After a series of skirmishes, the movie ends with the English settlers (with a few Natives) slaughtering the entire tribe. The message is that sin can only be defeated through the shedding of blood.

In scenes with the natives, they have a flag with a bear on it, resembling the California flag. The film is interpreted as an attempt to justify any brutal war to destroy the California secession, which is associated with sin.

Saturday, March 25, 1989

New York Governor Spiro Agnew, and the governors of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, and New England publicly tear up the February Laws and once again assert nullification.

Geraldo Rivera: All those states are controlled by the liberals. Isn’t it any wonder that they are so open to sin and decadence.

Observers note that Hughes rhetoric has drifted from bashing communism to taking a hardline stance against “immorality.” For its opponents Hughes is seen as little more than a sock puppet of whoever has the reins of power.

Monday, March 27, 1989

The Mexican government creates a Law of Return, which asserts only those who can prove that they had a grandparent born in Mexico can be eligible for legal immigration. It also says “any affiliation with the Republican Party or the Christian Values will disqualify that person from entry into the United Mexican States.”

The law has been passed to deal with the influx of Hispanic Americans (estimated at nearly 800,000) who have been able to sneak in through without a background check.

Wednesday, March 29, 1989

In the Texas Legislature, a collection of lawmakers, known as the “Texas Sovereignty Caucus” pushes for another resolution, voiding the enforcement of the February Laws. It is vetoed by governor Starke Taylor Jr.

“This resolution is the greatest attack on freedom since Nazism,” State Assemblyman and Sovereignty Leader Ron Paul said. Ron Paul is also chairman of the Texas Libertarian Party. “Any good Texan will tell the nuts in Washington “hell no”.

Mickey Leland, another member of Sovereignty, and the chairman of WTP Texas, attacked Taylor “for selling our rights to a group of fascists.”

Starke Taylor, a former Rumsfeld ally who defected to the Christian Values Party in late 1988, has largely dismissed these criticisms.

“Mr. Paul and Mr. Leland fail to grasp that in these troubled times, vigilance is needed to crush sin. Besides, what right does Paul have to complain about what ‘true Texans’ want. He wasn’t born here.”

Protests take place across major Texas cities, and the Western and Southern portions of the state. Many sheriffs to have taken to ignoring the February Laws.”

-----------------------------------------

Alex Jones-Lone Star:The History of Modern Texas, 2010

The sudden animosity that Texans developed for the CV government in the year 1989, the state’s rapid independence movement, and its political and cultural evolution afterward came as a tremendous shock to just about everybody.

By 1989 Texas politics had become synonymous with conservatism. The mighty Texas Democratic Party, which had produced American liberal icons such as Lyndon Johnson and Sam Rayburn, had been reduced to a rump, which had increasingly voted for the Republican Party. The drift to the right continued through the Rumsfeld years. It’s high water mark came when moderate Republican Governor George H.W. Bush was removed (abetted by the Rumsfeld Administration’s infamous “nervous breakdowns”) and replaced by more radical elements allied with the Christian Values party. The state had voted for CV in the 1988 election, and the party had a tremendous presence across much of the state, including its own governor.

The idea of Texas rebelling from a highly religious, conservative government would have been laughable to someone living in 1988.

The average Texan will point to the 1840s independence movement as a sign that Texans are and have always people ready to rebel against injustice (Of course, they usually ignore the fact that the Texans rebelled to join the United States, and their reason was to maintain slavery, which the Mexican government banned). Indeed, this movement is still used by many Texas politicians, and was used in pro-Independence propaganda, but it alone cannot explain Texas’ seemingly sudden departure from the Union.

The reasons lie in economic and political concerns.

Texas Society at the Dawn of Rumsfeldia

Since the Second World War, the social, economic, and political landscape of Texas had changed dramatically. Before the war, Texas had been a rural state mostly dependent on the production of primary resources. Cotton, oil, and cattle had been the mainstays of Texas’ economy.

But after the war, Texas modernized tremendously. Reforms to education and infrastructure, the rise of air conditioning, a competitive environment, a non-unionized labor force, the mechanization of agriculture, and government contracts had made Texas an increasingly modern and educated state, and a sign of “the New South”.

The Johnson Space Center, one of the major parts of NASA, became the symbol of the New Texas that was emerging. One that relied on science and innovation and not just on oil and farming.

Texas society was also changing too. While the rise of the Republican Party in the state is often single-mindedly blamed on the Southern Strategy, and the Democratic Party’s increasingly liberal direction, the growth the professional class that worked in these new industries also played a role on the rise of the GOP. This was symbolized by the election of George H.W. Bush, a New England-born technocrat, to the office of Governor in 1978.

Texas society was also changing in terms of racial demographics. The end of Jim Crow segregation, while not eliminating all institutional racism, allowed for the state’s black minority to make political gains, as symbolized by the political rise of Barbara Jordan. But another minority, one that did not exist in as significant a number in other Jim Crow states, was also becoming important.

Mexican Americans, despite being the natives of Texas, also suffered tremendous institutional discrimination and segregation in the early to mid-20th century. During Lyndon Johnson’s stint as a schoolteacher in a Mexican American school he saw their impoverished conditions first hand, and many of his biographers since have concluded that this experience (together with his own impoverished upbringing in the Texas hill country) played a role in his desire to embrace the New deal and later to crush poverty through his Great Society programs.

By the 1960s, Mexican Americans, having gained access to the ballot box through the Civil Rights legislation of the decade, and influenced by the African-American civil rights movement, began to assert themselves politically. By the early 80s, immigration from Mexico (both legal and illegal) had led to the growth of this demographic.

Other minorities, like Asian American immigrants and Jewish Americans transplanted from the North, were also becoming a part of the Texas political landscape.

Texas also had one of the most robust economies of the 1970s, largely due to its large oil reserves in a period of energy shortages. The investments from the oil wealth help fund other tertiary sectors such aerospace and banking.

Texas, unlike other conservative states, was also increasingly engaged economically with Mexico. Despite the tarnished economy, trade continued to grow between Texas and Mexico, in fact this growth had, by the early-1980’s outpaced the growth in economic trade with other states of the United States. The result was that Texas was more prosperous than other parts of the economically stagnant United States, and felt less of the impact of the economic turmoil that was going on there.

By the time Rumsfeld entered into office, Texas not only had a strong economy, but had evolved from a largely rural and agrarian state to a cosmopolitan state with major ties to the world economy.

Rumsfeldia and the Texas Malaise

At the beginning of the decade, Texas had the strongest economy in the Union, by the end of the decade, Texas’ economy had been put on the ropes.

As soon as Rumsfeld entered office, he began his so-called “American Revolution”, somewhat derisively called “The American Devolution”, in an attempt to create a truly free-market. But this ultimately evolved into an ideological war on the institutions that made America prosperous. While the welfare state and government regulations were an obvious target, other institutions were damaged in its wake.

Early on, Texas was already being victimized by that war. The closing of the Johnson Space Center in 1981 created an incredible outrage across the state. The Space Center was not only a source of jobs, but a point of pride for many Texans. The issue itself nearly cost Governor Bush re-election 1982 to Bob Bullock.

Another blow to the Texas economy was the Landweber case. The government’s confiscation of patents without compensation-and then handing those patents over to TRW-dealt a tremendous blow to the state’s research. While many technical companies and innovators had once found Texas to be a competitive environment, the uncertainty generated by Rumsfeld’s attack on intellectual property rights made Texas less attractive, as it was clearly state that endorsed Rumsfeld’s ideology, if in spirit in not letter. Investment in research, high-tech, and enrollment in Texas universities declined, as smaller innovators and entrepreneurial start-ups sought new markets that would protect them from what was clearly growing government corruption.

By 1985, the weakening of labor rights and the growing racism of the Texas police drove many Mexican immigrants (followed by Mexican-born Americans) out of state. While many older Texans and older politicians cheered on the reversal of immigration, the loss of a large labor force led to a crippling labor shortage. The farming industry was hit especially hard. Convicts were brought in as forced labor to replace the missing workers, revving images of a slave economy. However, these conscript labors (or slaves as some called them) proved to be inefficient.

Even oil was no longer the source of wealth it had once been. The weakening domestic economy, plus international competition from oil producers like the Soviet Union and Nigeria, put the Texas economy in shambles. While corruption and censorship allowed oil companies to cover these losses, many oil workers had gone unpaid (except with worthless investment certificates). Other sectors, like ranching, were also severely impacted by the increasingly unstable economy.

The loss of trade with Mexico and other world powers, which occurred between 1985 and 1987 as many nations divested themselves from the American nation, severely wounded the Texas economy as well. While conservative Texans took on a xenophobic attitude, many others began to blame Rumsfeld and corrupt policies which alienated investors.

By 1988, the Texas economy was on the rocks. This was symbolized in a famous article in The Economist, which showed Houston’s Texas Commerce Tower, completed in 1981 as a symbol of the Lone Star State’s economic growth, being completely dim at night.

The Oddest of Bedfellows

Politically, Texas too was becomingly increasingly radical. While the Republican Party, and later the Christian Values Party seemingly held a monopoly on power, there was growing competition from two other political parties: the Libertarians and WTP. While small, they became increasingly prominent throughout the state, and by 1989, these parties began rallying around Texan sovereignty as a solution to the economic and race relations problems. California’s secession in the late 1980’s also inspired these Texas radicals to think along sovereignty terms.

The two major figures in this movement were Ron Paul and Mickey Leland, who both began pushing for Texas to begin shaping its own destiny, for their own reasons.

Ron Ernest Paul, born in Pennsylvania, was an obstetrician who had been first elected to the US Congress in 1978.

Some of his viewpoints at first made him seem like a figure who would become a Rumsfeldian or a CV (Paul admits he had been supportive of their viewpoints). Paul was a follower of the Austrian school of thought, and believed strongly in the idea of free markets. He also opposed the Federal Reserve, and sought to move America back to the Gold Standard. He was also strongly opposed to abortion, and saw Roe v. Wade as an attack on religious freedom.

Like many Southern politicians, Paul has also written viewpoints that imply a neo-Confederate outlook. He has defended Confederacy on the issue of states’ rights. He also called the Civil Rights Act a gross expansion of the federal government’s power.

However, Paul had political viewpoints that distinguished him from the Republican Party. He became one of the first public officials to oppose the War on Drugs, well before even WTP took the issue. He was also strongly opposed to American military intervention, and believed America should return to the Washington-style intervention, and himself opposed the reinstatement of the draft in 1982.

Mickey Leland, his eventual partner, had a political background and viewpoints that were light years away from Ron Paul.

Born and raised in a predominately African-American community in Houston in 1944, Leland saw and witnessed tremendous poverty and discrimination in his community. He became a leader of the civil rights movement in Texas, and an advocate for government aid to the poor. He succeeded Barbara Jordan, winning her congressional seat in 1978, where he fought for poverty programs.

The unity of these two men, and the seeming collusion between WTP and the Libertarians as whole, can shock someone who can’t read between the lines. But both parties came into being around the idea that A) The federal government and the two major parties were oppressive B) Were defend the privileges of a select few instead of the rights of all and C) expending too many resources on imperial ambitions.

And as the 1980s progressed, both men found that to be undeniably true.

Both men would lose re-election in 1982 due to spoilers, but by that point, their belief in their parties was already weakening.

Ron Paul, in his first term, was already disillusioned by the conduct of Speaker of the House Trent Lott during the impeachment proceedings against George Wallace. While Paul supported impeachment, Lott’s obvious partisanship, and barely disguised desire to succeed to the presidency during those proceedings anger Paul and many others.

But a more direct causus belli for Paul was the foreign policy of Donald Rumsfeld. While he could support Rumsfeld’s economic policies at a state level, he was disturbed by the increasing bellicosity of Rumsfeld, and the seeming silence of the GOP. The intervention in South Africa and the blockade of the Azores were particular turning points.

“That bastard Lott wanted to impeach Wallace for under the table gun-running to Somoza. I could understand that. Yet our president was openly backing Malan, a more obvious fascist, and bullying a sovereign nation that posed no threat to American interests, and yet Lott just smiled at all that.”

Leland himself had become disillusioned with the Democratic Party. It first began due to the ineptitude of George Wallace, and his willingness to fund a Central American war at a time period when the American people were being squeezed.

He was also disappointed with the Democratic Party and its inability to stand up to Rumsfeld in the first two years of its administration.

Both men initially did not yet desire to join WTP and Libertarians, which they saw as nonsensical fringe parties. Indeed, in Rumsfeld’s first term, the Libertarians and WTP were still mostly young parties composed of fringe figures. Despite electoral gains, many did see them as too radical.

But by 1987, both men found refuge in the two major parties. The increasingly dictatorial nature of Rumsfeldia, and his clear disregard for the Constitution and working people angered many.

By 1985, Barbara Jordan had returned to politics, and became the chairwoman of WTP Texas out of disgust with a Democratic Party and its seeming inability to fight Rumsfeld. Her political experience and wit is credited with turning WTP Texas from a fringe into a major political party. (Much as Ron Dellums had done with the California WTP). But as Rumsfeld rolled back the welfare state, WTP began taking on responsibilities for the urban poor and the Mexican American minority of Texas, from education to health care.

Mickey Leland, like many other American leftists, joined WTP in 1986, and became its chairman after Barbara Jordan retired due to ill-health in 1987.

Ron Paul, who by this time had developed a successful newsletter, had lost all respect for the GOP after the events of 1986.

The 28th amendment and the McCloskey Seven incident was for Ron Paul, and for many other people who considered themselves to be “true conservatives”, the final straw. The blatant dictatorial nature of Rumsfeld, and the acquiescence of the GOP as whole, was ultimately too much.

“Here is a man who professes a belief in ‘small government’ and ‘states’ rights’ rigging the Constitution and trying to impose his will on the people of California. The Republican Party is no longer a party, but a colossus with no beliefs-except in power,” wrote Paul in his biography.

Ron Paul joined the Libertarian Party in late 1986, and like Jordan, used his political skills and political to transform it into a legitimate political party.

Despite the two organizations being overt political opponents of Rumsfeld, they had been allowed to grow and expand. This was largely because Rumsfeld never saw both parties as legitimate opposition, and he saw WTP as a useful way of dividing the left-wing vote.

Rumsfeld’s sudden departure from the office of the Presidency temporarily cooled political tensions, but by late 1988, the failure of the Denton Administration to secure political reforms had once again driven a wedge across the political spectrum.

What proved more worrying to Paul and Leland was the obvious ascent of the Christian Values Party. Leland was disturbed by their blistering attacks on inner-city people. Paul, despite his religious viewpoints, saw them as a political movement that would not preserve the Constitution, anymore than Rumsfeld had. In fact he, like many like-minded believers, came to view the CV as the very antithesis of what a party informed by religious values should be. In the end he would write that the CV was Rumsfeldism dressed-up with “Biblical pap”.

Together, the two formed the Texas Sovereignty Movement to push Texas against the potential political oppressions of the CV. Despite their small power, the two men had at their helm a large and very dedicated political movement behind them. They also had powerful backers, and a very easy target.

Texas’ King Herod

The Texas Sovereignty Movement was helped by the man who held executive power in Texas: Starke Taylor Jr.

Before becoming Rumsfeld’s lackey, Taylor had been elected to a brief stint as the mayor of Dallas. After Governor Bush had been dumped into a fake mental health center and Bush’s son joined in a coup against the President, Taylor became a surprise last minute candidate on the Republican ticket.

Taylor quickly proved to be a poor successor to Bush. Despite being a born and bred Republican, Bush was able to present himself as a man who fought for Texas (despite his failure to prevent the ratification of the 28th amendment) and was able to distinguish himself from the increasingly crazed actions of the Rumsfeld administration.

Taylor, however, quickly revealed himself to be little more than a stooge of Washington, and a political failure. His solution to the state’s growing problems took on a Rumsfeldian twang, which angered not only Texas people, but even many business interests that depended on offices that Taylor wished to privatize.

After Rumsfeld’s departure, he quickly converted himself into a follower of the CV (which many Rumsfeldians in CV dominant states did in a desperate attempt to stave off prosecution and remain politically relevant) when it was inevitable that the CV were going to gain political power. In his desperate attempt to protect himself, Taylor alienated his remaining allies in the still present Republican Party, and added fuel to the perception that he was little more than weak political weathervane, an image that Leland and Paul were eager to capitalize on.

It is important to understand that while many Texans of this time period were conservative, their votes were as motivated by the charity of the CV than any real beliefs. As the CV began its industrial scale witch hunt, Taylor and the CV would soon find resistance in a people trying to control its own affairs.

The Texas Cabal

Of course, this movement was not built off of words alone. Sovereignty also had the secret backing of several prominent businessmen who several reasons for pushing Texas out of the orbit of Washington.

The leader of the Texas Cabal, as it came to be known, was Henry Ross Perot. Perot was the quintessential American success story. A former salesman for IBM, Perot left his job in 1962 to found Electronic Data Systems, a data processing service. Perot was able to gain lucrative contracts computerizing Medicare information. By the 1980s, he was one of the richest men in Texas, and had investments in many major countries.

His wealth soon allowed to pursue political activity. He became a staunch advocate for the war on drugs, and presciently observed that the federal government would have gotten involved in the trafficking of narcotics. Out of a disbelief in establishment politics, he also funded Sandy Koufax’s ill-fated 1980 presidential run.

Perot had long held some antipathy for the GOP, long before the excesses of Rumsfeld. It is important to understand that not every businessman in America was lockstep behind Rumsfeld.

He felt America needed to intervene to protect American industries from Japanese and German competition, and that supply-side economics would result in an economic race to the bottom that would hurt the American worker, and drag down the American economy with it.

By 1987, Perot’s interests had been severely damaged by Rumsfeld’s policies. The economic sanctions and boycott of American businesses cost Perot much of his overseas ventures. Domestically, Perot has lost a lot of business, partly because of his refusal to bottom out his prices by underpaying his workers with worthless certificates. The monopolization of computer software has raised the operating costs of his business. And the severe de-regulation of the economy had also raised collection costs for Perot.

Electronic Data Systems, though it was a shadow of what it had once been, had managed to ride out the storm through the investment of its remaining assets in foreign banks, and through the creation of a secret network of businessmen who could establish rules that the government rubbed away.

This informal network, which included figures like T. Boone Pickens, evolved into a society seeking to shift Texas politics away from a government that had severely damaged American interests, and forced them to hide their assets to simply survive.

By the end of 1988, however, a new threat was emerging on the horizon: the Christian Values. Perot was himself a social moderate, and was disturbed by their rhetoric. Even his more conservative colleagues saw the Christian Values Party as a dangerous movement that would plunge America into a new dark age.

Perot and the Cabal backed the Fusion Party candidacy in 1988, but despite their wealth, lacked the means to communicate their ideas across the nation.

The Texas Sovereignty Movement, however, would prove to be more promising, as the Texas Cabal came to believe the Union was beyond salvation. A group of centrist businessmen found the oddest of allies in the pair of radical politicians pushing for Texas independence.

A Rising Power to the South

Another party had gained an interest in the rising tide of the Texas sovereignty: Mexico, in one of the greatest historical ironies, developed a keen interest in Texas independence.

From 1973 to roughly 1985, Mexican society has been in what Mexicans have called La Decada Perdida, or the Lost Decade. The economy had been devastated by the oil shocks, the ruling PRI was engulfed in numerous scandals, the China White epidemic had created some horrific battles between drug cartels in the North of the country, and the peso had become worthless.

But by the mid-1980s, a new political wave was rocking the Mexican nation. Both in reaction to the ineptitude of the PRI, and the growing anti-American attitudes of Mexican society, Cuauhtémoc Cardenas and his New Democratic Party was voted into power-the first non-PRI government in almost 60 years on an economically populist and nationalist agenda.

Cardenas, the son of the radical populist Lazaro Cardenas, professed a desire to bring about major change to Mexican society, and make it a first world power. By the end of his term, he had indeed put Mexico on the path toward a first world, and was lauded throughout Mexican society.

However, he was forced to relinquish some of the more radical ideas of his supporters and his venerated father, and watered down much of his rhetoric. This earned him the pejorative nickname of Lazarito (Little Lazaro) by his left-wing critics (which quickly evolved into a more complimentary nickname).

Cardenas himself was incredibly fearful of the actions of the Rumsfeld government. As a Latin leftist, he feared becoming the next Salvador Allende or Jacobo Arbenz, two other Latin American leftists who had been tossed from power by the hand of the CIA. (And as it turned out, the US government had indeed gotten involved with Mexican drug cartels). His strengthening of border security was partly because he thought American agents would disguise themselves as refugees.

He watered down much of his populist rhetoric to prevent a possible invasion or subterfuge by the US. This would turn out to be his long-term benefit.

By the 1980s, much of the Americas had either been consumed by fascism, the social radicalism of the Cuerdans, or the ideological lunacy of the United States. The economic isolation of the latter posed a major threat to the global economy.

Cardenas, by proving to be a moderate in a sea of fanaticism, was able to receive enormous trade and foreign investment from Canadian, European, and East Asian firms.

He also drifted away from the anti-clericalism of his father, and sought an ally in Pope Pius, as Mexicans, especially the nascent Cuerdan movement, began looking to the Pope as an icon of liberation.

Through this investment and brilliant political maneuvering, Cardenas was able to fund anti-corruption drives and poverty programs. He had managed to earn both the respect of political and economic elites and the working poor in Mexico. He was also helped by the return of American laborers, and Mexican Americans (legal ones) who managed to bring education and marketable skills.

By 1988, the Mexican economy had recovered from the Decada Perdida, and was considered more reliable than the US economy. This economic renaissance was followed by a cultural wave, as Mexican artists, writers, and cartoonists began celebrating their nation’s proud history.

But even as Mexico enjoyed an economic and cultural pride, Cardenas saw a new threat begin to rise and surpass that of Rumsfeld: the Christian Values Party. He rightly interpreted their call for a “global crusade” rightly as another excuse for American imperialism. It was due to this that Southerners, a group associated with conservative Christianity were heavily targeted and profiled by the Mexican border authorities. The collapse of the American economy in late 1988 also increased the flow of refugees into Mexico, and Cardenas feared millions of gringo refugees flooding into the border.

Cardenas began secretly building up Mexico’s arms industry, but when his intelligences services told him about a growing Texas independence movement, Cardenas saw an opportunity to create a useful buffer zone between a radical Christian America and his beloved country-as well as potential ally and trading partner in an impoverished North America. (He had already begun talks with the Sacramento government).

In 1988 Cardenas was succeeded by Porfirio Muñoz Ledo, who had been closely associated with the Carednas Administration. Though President Munoz Ledo claimed to be his own man, many suspected ex-President was still pulling the strings from the background. Unusually, for Mexican politics, ex-President Cardenas had gotten himself elected to the Mexican Senate, so he remained an active figure in Mexican federal politics.

Friday, March 31, 1989

Ed Crane and several other libertarian governors meet in Boise, and reiterate their refusal

Vang Pao, a Laotian General of Hmong ancestry, becomes Laos’ first democratically elected Prime Minister (although King Saurvayong Savang remains the ceremonial head of state). He pledges to work with Vietnam’s Ngo Quang Truong and Cambodia’s Sirik Matak toward increasing economic and political ties with each other.

Protests breakout across US in opposition to the February orders, but they are suppressed by CV-controlled police forces in CV controlled areas, but continue in areas were CV control is weak, or where local authorities are strong enough to block the Holy Battalions from taking action..

In Port-Au-Prince, Haiti, a Cuerdan-style protest was broken up by troops loyal to “Baby Doc” Duvalier. Much of these protests have been against Duvalier’s tyranny and sudden conversion to Evangelical Christianity, (which has been credited with his ties to the Robertson administration).

Saturday, April 1, 1989

SNICO Director Douglas Coe issues an injunction against Alabama Governor George Wallace for his refusal to heed the rules of the February orders. Governor Wallace immediately challenges the injunction in court as in-Constitutional.

“This man stands in the way of building a moral society,” Coe said, “I hope our courts do the correct thing and deliver Wallace to justice.”

Sunday, April 2, 1989

Hughes Ad:

Narration: The Acting President Robertson, acting with the wisdom granted to him by the Lord, believed America should be allowed to get back to work.

(shows pictures of happy construction workers dutifully building roads)

Akron, OH

Michael Vinnick walked up to the CV office, his mind in a rage.

“What the hell is this,” Vinnick screamed at the clerk, banging on the glass window.

“Mind your language,” the clerk said, disgust on his face.

“Fuck you,” Vinnick said. “You fuckers cheated me!”

“How so?”

Vinnick was grateful that the highways were finally getting rebuild, and that he would have his first stable job in two years. When Rumsfeld was in office, he was forced to bid low to get any kind of work. He happily joined WorkCorps, but he soon discovered there was fine print attached.

“I only got half of what I was promised,” Vinnick barked. “The other half went to this so-called T-Tax.” The clerk just gave him a condescending tax.

“The T-Tax is the Tithe- Tax,” the clerk said calmly.

“God tax,” Vinnick said with disdain. “I already go to church on Sunday and put some money in the collection plate…”

“The tithe- tax ensures that you pay a good tithe to his faithful servants.” The clerk’s smug smile was replaced with a frown. “Or do you believe that his warriors should starve?”

“No,” Vinnick said, “but because of this tithe, I am making as much as I did under-,”

“Poverty is the fault of you, and your lack of faith,” the clerk replied with a condescending snort. “Serve the Lord, and the rewards will come. But remain without faith…and you will fall into the pit of hell.” Without saying a word, the clerk shut his window down and walked away.

Vinnick stared at the closed window, clenching his fist.

At least when the Rumsfeldians screwed you over, they were honest about it.

Monday, April 3, 1989

BBC Interview with US President Pat Robertson and John Pilger

Pilger: Mr. President, you believe that Governor Wallace should be arrested for not heeding the Moral Decency Orders.

Robertson: Of course, this man has violated God’s will.

Pilger: But you sir have professed a belief in states’ rights, doesn’t your order-

Robertson: States’ rights are reserved for those who kneel before God’s will. No, this is just plain hooliganism on the part of Wallace. We intend to cleans our nation of the licentious behavior that brought Rumsfeld, and he only stands in our way.

Wallace: Robertson must be talkin’ to green aliens, because what he is saying sure sounds out of this world to me.

The Hughes Network airs The Pacific Campaign. It is basically similar in plot to The Righteous Crusade, except the setting shifts to Hawaii, with converts waging war on a savage and barbaric (at least in the words of the missionary characters) Hawaiian natives, and converting them to Christianity. The film is meant to justify a war against the Hawaiian Islands. Due to its wildly inaccurate portrayal of Hawaiian customs, and the toughness of the Hawaiian characters, the film becomes an unintentional hit among the Hawaiian nationalist movement.

Wednesday, April 5, 1989

The Supreme Court rules in favor of Douglas Coe 6-3, with Thurmond, White, and Rehnquist in dissent. Phyllis Schlafly, writing the majority opinion concludes “that the Moral Decency Act and other of the acts pasted serve a moral purpose that supersedes any state interest, and that the federal government is endowed with primacy overall states”, and orders Wallace and other state governments that have not participated in the Moral Decency Act due so in fear of prosecution.

Wallace reiterates his refusal to continue to endorse this law.

“Yes, I am guilty of defying court orders in the past. I did so out of desire for political gain. But now I realize those orders were in the interest of building a better nation. This Supreme Court, full of people with a crazed interpretation of God- has taken to challenging our natural rights-not just states’ rights-so I will not abide by it,” says Wallace in a session with the Alabama State Senate.

SNICO orders the arrest of George Wallace under charges of “subversion and moral indecency”.

Friday, April 7, 1989

The Montgomery Standoff: A group of federal Marshalls, aligned with Holy Battalions in Alabama, arrive in Montgomery to arrest Governor George Wallace for his refusal to enforce the Moral Decency Act. They are confronted by a multiracial group of Alabama National Guard and State Police in front of the Alabama State House.

The head of the CV delegation walks up to the Alabama Police Chief.

CV: I have a warrant for the arrest of that sinner George Wallace.

Police: Well, you’ll have to enforce it, yourself sir.

CV: Mr. Police Chief, do you wish to be in the way of moral decency.

The Police Chief and his family had been voting for Wallace since 1958. They hadn’t supported Wallace just on race. It was thanks to Wallace he could get free textbooks for school. He backed him in 1976, when the rest of his family had voted for Reagan. He had more attachment to the Governor then this nut.

Police: I stand for the rights of the sovereign state of Alabama sir. This government does not.

A gun battle (believed to have been caused by an irascible Holy Battalion member) takes place between the Holy Battalions and the forced assembled. 5 CVs and 4 state Alabama officers lay dead

The first shots of the Second American Civil War are said to have been fired where the first Civil War had begun 128 years later, in Montgomery.

Sunday, April 9, 1989

Pat Robertson gives a speech decrying the act of “the sinner Wallace,” and urges other states not to give into “sinful temptations, or face the wrath of God.”

Several Southern states begin sending National Guard troops into Alabama.

In Harrisburg, Nebraska, a similar dispute to what happened in Alabama as a sheriff refuses an order to round up a Bozeman Commune whose members

Across many Western and Midwestern states, similar skirmishes take place between Holy Battalions and Libertarian dominated law enforcement.

White House

Douglas Coe: Pat, sinners are beginning to rise up, we must-

Pat Robertson: No, we must not throw anymore fire into this gasoline, we are not yet ready.

Douglas Coe: We must make an example-

Pat Robertson: Oh, I am very prepared to make an example. But it must be done in a way to not further break down our country.

Coe nodded in assent, but still seethed over the seeming weak-will of Pat. But then, he reassured himself, he is only the acting President. The Eternal President is the one who really matters, and in whose service they were all pledged.

----------------------------------------

Ronald Galtieri: “They are planning to use the Article V provisions of the Constitution to kill it. Damn bastards, they are destroying the very foundation of this country.”

Jimmy Carter: “Or maybe they have given us the opportunity we need to defeat them on their own ground. Their hold on many states is not as firm as they think.”

------------------------------------------

The cities of Lanzhou and Jiuzhaigou fall to the Chinese Caliphate forces.

Clear the Mall
  • Sunday, April 2, 1989

A bomb detonates next to the Washington Monument causing some structural damage and spreading debris across the National Mall. Security immediately closes-off the area, ending public access to the Mall and the monuments.

The body of activist Samuel Leroy Jackson, who had ties to both the Black Panther Party and the We The People Movement, is found at the scene and soon Jackson is blamed as “the terrorist who attacked America.”

President Robertson declares that “this outrage will not stand. We will hunt down all these evil terrorists who defy God’s law and bring them just punishment. In this crusade for righteousness we shall not distinguish between the terrorists and those who harbor or give aid to the terrorists. All who defy God’s law shall be held to account!”

Despite reports that the Washington Monument is still structurally sound, and that the damage from the bomb was superficial, the 139 year-old monument is soon brought down, with the government officially stating that it is “unsafe” and “an extreme hazard to the public.”

Soon after that the CV government begins to erect its pre-fabricated Jesus the Warrior statue on the site. Later analysts conclude that the CV used the bombing (or initiated the whole incident) to replace the Washington monument with their own, which had already been pre-built in sections. Reportedly Douglas Coe had initiated plans for this while Donald Rumsfeld was still President.

Jackson’s proved to be an interesting case. His last known whereabouts had been in Los Angeles in early 1988, where he had been a WTP activist and part-time actor. He had reportedly renounced his earlier radical ties in favour of more peaceful WTP activity, where he had worked with California Vice President Ronald Dellums. In 1988 Jackson had gone east to Washington DC on a family matter, and was never heard from again by his WTP associates. Many suspected he had run afoul of the Liberty Battalions or Holy Battalions active in Washington. Jackson’s body was autopsied under the supervision of Holy Battalion loyalists and cremated. Witnesses later alleged that the body had shown signs of having been in a preservative compound, suggesting that Jackson had been dead prior to the incident and his preserved body placed at the scene.

The fact that Jackson had been active in California politics, and had travelled to the US on a California passport, was used as cover by the Robertson Administration to blame the California government for authorizing the act of terror and suggesting that California intended to launch an all-out war of terror against “the Christian States of America.”

President McCloskey and Vice President Dellums both denied that the California government had anything to do with the incident and suggested that the Robertson Administration had planned and carried out the whole thing.

Lockout with Bookmark 1995
  • April 10-17, 1989

Various skirmishes take place along Alabama’s borders with Mississippi, Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida. The battles are between Alabama’s National Guard, and State Police on one side, and the National Guards of those states-working in tandem with the Holy Battalions- on the other side.

However, the forces opposing Alabama are frequently driven back. Due to Rumsfeld era privatization, many of the forces opposing Alabama are under-equipped, despite the Robertson’s administrations re-armament program. Also, as Alabama was considered to be a safe Bible Beltarea, the CV didn’t expect any resistance from there. Also many National Guard forces suffer from poor morale, as more than a few voted for Wallace at least once.

George Wallace, who had been expecting some kind of invasion from Rumsfeld or the Christian Values Party, managed to keep the Alabama Guard and State Police well-armed and trained: in part because he recruited anti-CV experts from other states, including Charles A. Beckwith formerly of the US Special Forces. Governor Wallace has also directed an aggressive policy by the Alabama state police to up-root Holy Batallion infrastructure in Alabama. To that end he (very unofficially) recruited white nationalists in the United Klans of America to do things government forces could not. Of course (and Wallace realized this even as he was doing it) this represents a bargain with the devil. Politically, Wallace built a borad anti-CV coalition in his home state which included moderate Republicans, Democrats, former President Jeremiah Denton along with the more radical groups.

Tuesday, April 11, 1989

Governor George Wallace and the Alabama Legislature push through an emergency internal security measure declaring that any member of “the Christian Values or Holy Battalions will be detained as enemy combatants and potential terrorists until the end of the conflict.” (The Alabama CV caucus was barred from entering the building).

George Wallace: I know many of you fear we are suppressing democracy. But as you can see, these Bible-thumpers have no respect for our rights, they are terrorists that need to be stopped, and you all know how we treat terrorists here in Dixie!

Mass arrests of CV and Holy Battalion figures begin across Alabama.

Wednesday, April 12, 1989

A joint protest by members of DC WTP activists and the Daughters of the American Revolution (a rare collaboration) protest the dismantlement of the Washington Monument in favor of a statue of Jesus. The protest is met with attacks by Holy Battalions. The DC Police stand by and do little to interfere.

Thursday, April 13, 1989

Forrest Hood “Fob” James, a CV assemblyman, and some other CV delegates who managed to evade arrest and flee the state, meet in the town of Columbus, Mississippi, and establish an “Alabama Government-In-Exile”. They draft their own state Constitution, which incorporates the February Laws and the Ten Commandments.

Fob James: Godless Governor Wallace has shown his true colors. He has no respect for God’s warriors, and treats them like criminals. He even holds the God-loving people of Alabama hostage. I reach out to the captive people of Alabama to resist this traitor, this heathen.

An Economist article reveals that the recent Soviet harvest has managed to generate its first surplus in decades. This is credited to small scale privatization of agricultural land and private investment, allowed under MBA Communism. Now, Russia produces more food than it can consume, and begins exporting some of it.

Eastern bloc nations that have been dragged by Moscow into accepting MBA Communism- notably Czechoslovakia, Hungary, and Poland-are also enjoying surplus yields, and a slow rise in living standards.

Controversially (among conservative Roman Catholics) Pope Pius XIII gives his “conditional support” for MBA Communism as a path to “greater human dignity.”

Friday, April 14, 1989

The Harrisburg Standoff:

A group of Holy Battalion militants attempt to detain members of a Bozeman Commune, founded and filled by LGBTQ people seeking to build their own community, in the town of Harrisburg, NE. However, the arrest is resisted by local law enforcement.

Harrisburg

Joseph smiled as he and five of his fellow brothers in Christ dismounted the military truck that took them him. He felt giddy, as the sodomites and their perversions would finally be cast into the fires of Hell where they belonged!

His blood boiled as he saw the rainbow colored arch that adorned the entrance to their personal Sodom. Such a bold declaration of sin! What an abomination. To his confusion, Joseph saw the sheriff – Bridges, a hard-nosed old man- along with his two deputies, a college-aged guy and a middle-aged woman, march out beneath that disgusting arch.

“Sheriff, have you finally decided to see what is right?” Joseph called out in his best thunderous, would-be-old-testament-profit-voice, attracting the attention of his men.

“Yes, I have,” Bridges said flatly. “You’re going to leave these people the hell alone.”

Joseph barely maintained his smile, but he soon felt his fellow brothers were fuming.

“What”, Brother Matthew exclaimed incredulously. “You contemptible sinner!”

“Brother Matthew,” Joseph interrupted, holding up his hand. He then tried to give a sincere smile to Bridges. “Come now, Sheriff. We only wish to cure these people of their unholy perversions.”

“You mean, ship them off to your concentration camp,” barked the younger deputy, Simon.

“Yeah, over our dead body,” Janice, the female deputy said.

“Why do you insist on defending these people,” Joseph asked, his voice becoming stern, as he turned toward Bridges,” surely you’re as disgusted by these people as any God-fearing man is?”

Only a couple of years ago, Bridges would have been inclined to agree. He remembered when the Libertarians, really money-loving liberals from back East, took over the community. Then followed Alan, and his pack of 15 gays and lesbians, who wanted to build their own town without fear.

Bridges had been very opposed to letting queers and their liberal ways in his town. He had raged to the Libertarian mayor, some New York hippie, who proclaimed “live and let live” and welcomed them in-or more specifically - welcomed the fact that they were buying up land.

To Bridges surprise, they actually brought business to his town. Eventually after some cajoling from his wife, he accepted a dinner invitation from Alan and his “life partner”. They seemingly behaved like a couple, and he did enjoy their food. Now they often met for bowling and beer.

“Yes, Joseph I don’t like how they live,” Bridges admitted. His jaw set as he saw Joseph beaming and his deputies giving him crooked smiles. “But my job is to protect people, not tell them how to live, and protect how they choose too.” He glared at the nut. “You want these people, you’re going to have to go through us.”

Joseph’s smile seemed to grow more arrogant.

“You are outmatched and outgunned,” Joseph declared. “But if you wish to be the Devil’s agents, we will gladly introduce you to him.” He stepped back as the five other Holy Battalion men with him pulled out their rifles. Bridges and his deputies pulled out their guns. Just when somebody was about to fire, a massive explosion was heard. Bridges and his deputies hit the ground. After a moment, they looked up and saw some of Alan and his friends walking over, carrying weapons. Alan was holding a collection of grenades. He saw five of the HBs dead, and saw Joseph writhing in agony, probably perforated by some shrapnel, and swearing up a storm (which he had admonished others for doing).

“Alan that was incredible,” Simon exclaimed, “I didn’t know you had it in you?”

“What didn’t think a fag like me had any teeth,” Alan asked, a sad smile on his face. Simon and Janice looked somewhat embarrassed, not meeting Alan’s eyes.

“Well,” Bridges said slowly,” I mean we thought you look you liberals didn’t like war”. Alan gave him a somewhat severe look. “We don’t like to fight wars that we feel are not our fight. We fight for things we feel are worth it. Our rights, our country,” he gestured to Bridges, “you guys.” Alan and his friends had the expressions of men prepared to march into hell.

Bridges felt a great amount of respect for these people. The fact that he was closer to them then to the so-called “Warriors of Christ”, showed how much had changed in only a few short years.

April 15-17

In what is considered to be the first real battle of the Second American Civil War, a group of Mississippi National Guardsmen aligned with the Holy Battalion attempt to take over the town of Butler, AL. Despite being numerically superior to the Alabama Guard and Police there, they are driven back by the superior tactics of the Alabama forces. 25 HB and 4 Alabamans lay dead.

Tuesday, April 18

White House-Situation Room

“How, How could that apostate George Wallace being able to resist our Godly forces,” Tim LaHaye screamed in a rage.

“Brother LaHaye,” Secretary of Defense James Dorman said with a rather smug expression. “This is why I warned against taking any action against Wallace until we were militarily ready to deal with him. Our forces still hadn’t recovered from Rumsfeld’s privatizations.”

“We assumed the people of Alabama, who are usually a God-fearing people,” SNICO Douglas Coe said sadly,” would be willing to turn Wallace over, not defend him with their lives.” He grit his teeth. “Wallace is a cripple, weak in both mind and body, but he still resists His word, and has gotten other Alabamans to do the same.”

“Wallace may be a sinner, but he certainly not weak in will,” Dorman said. Coe and LaHaye glared at him.

“You speak glowingly of the man. Have you been taken in by that apostate’s word,” LaHaye said warningly. Dorman gave him a small smile.

“As a God-fearing Christian, I feel Wallace deserves the fires of hell.” Dorman’s smile became sly. “But as a warrior, I can admire his will. Wallace could have chosen a comfortable exile in Canada or a Godless European nation, or California, and he was in worse shape than Nixon. Instead he chose to remain here and fight. I can respect such tenacity, misguided though it is. Perhaps that why Alabamans resist us. They are taken in by this spectacle to.”

“You can admire Wallace later, brother James,” the President said tiredly. “We should have been more patient, but we underestimated Wallace and his political power to convince the people of Alabama to accept Satan. We’ve started a fire and we must now put it out.”

“Unleash fire upon the people of Alabama,” LaHaye screamed. “We must cleanse that land of sinners before-“

“Brother LaHaye,” Dorman interrupted. “We cannot send guns and men everywhere. We still are not prepared for the Final Crusade, let alone for the war against California and the Northeast, and if we divert too many resources South, our enemies may have an opening. We still face the growing conflict out West with the Libertarians, and our current commitments in Cuba. We must do this smartly.”

“And how do we do this?” the President asked him.

“Starve them,” Dorman said.

“Starve them?”

“A man may desire to fight, but his resistance is weakened by hunger. Let us block any movement of goods in and out of the state. Block the roads, destroy the ports, and destroy the roads. The interstate travel laws allow us to do this. Within a matter of weeks, the people of Alabama, weakened by hunger, will toss Wallace from power, and embrace His word.”

“Excellent idea Brother James,” the President said happily. Coe and LaHaye glared at the Secretary of Defense with more than a hint of jealously in their eyes. “We can easily destroy Wallace without causing too much damage.” He set his jaw, and narrowed his eyes. “In the meantime, we must accelerate our plans, and step up our war against non-believers.”

Wednesday, April 19, 1989

Pat Robertson appears on television and announces that the in light of the “simmering rebellion” of Alabama, he is enforcing the Interstate Security Act of 1983 (enforcement of which had lapsed during the Denton administration) and signs an executive order banning any exports to and from the state of Alabama, under the risk of treason.

Pat Robertson: “This siege will not end until this agent of sin, George Wallace, ends his Satanic sedition and releases the people of Alabama from his immoral captivity.”

Operation Ten Plagues (the Siege of Alabama) begins.

Various National Guardsmen and CV begin blowing up roads in and out of the state. State police from neighboring places block any movement in and out of the state. Air force pilots begin bombing the state, especially the Alabama Gulf Coast. Despite the desire of the Air Force to avoid civilian casualties, the downtown of Mobile is severely damaged, with hundreds killed.

Within a few days, all shipments of food and petroleum into the state cease. Air raids on the state continue.

Lieutenant Governor Bill Baxley: “There trying to smoke us out!”

George Wallace (deadpan): “These people have to look into the mirror to find the real rats”.

Thursday, April 20, 1989

Across the US and the world, protests breakout against the attack on Alabama, and in favor of Alabama. College students across the Union wave posters of Wallace, an irony considering that college students were the ones protesting against Wallace only a decade ago.

“Even when Wallace tries to be revolutionary, he can still be a chameleon, a man who can shift according to what the public wants.”-Richard Nixon

Many world governments and heads of state, who remember Wallace as the last fair American leader, also condemn the attack on Alabama.

Former Italian President Norberto Bobbio, who credits Wallace with opposing the right-wing coup in 1979, delivers a blistering attack on the Robertson government.

“Mr. Robertson told us that the era of Rumsfeld is over. Only now we find something much, much worse. Rumsfeld’s indirect war on the American worker in the name of profit has been replaced by an outright war on the American citizens in the name of religious dogma! Until this war against the people of Alabama and Wallace ends, we will not do any business with Robertson and his band of fanatics.”

ROC (Taiwan) President Huang Chieh condemns the attack on George Wallace of the Robertson administration, calling it a “barbaric savagery”. Across both Taiwan and the ROC-controlled Mainland China, Chinese citizens hold parades in honor of Wallace. Many Chinese citizens and KMT politicians credit the former President with the downfall of the Lesser Mao. Protestors in Taipei (some of them Chinese American exiles) put a statue of Wallace in front of the American embassy. This despite the fact that as President, Wallace ordered a nuclear strike against the Chinese mainland.

In Tel Aviv, Jewish American olim protest the Israeli government, which they claim is enabling the attack on George Wallace.

The UN Security Council Votes a Resolution condemning the Siege of Alabama, which is passed unanimously.

New York Governor Spiro Agnew denounces the attack on George Wallace, and reiterates that he and the rest of the Northeast will not use its resources to enforce the Moral Decency Act, the Interstate Security Act, or aid in the attack on Governor Wallace.

Spiro Agnew: “The President and I have had significant disagreements, but he remains committed to Liberty, unlike the Robertson administration, which sacrifices that in the name of a new Crusade.” (Irony, as Agnew had attacked Wallace for years on his TV show as an opponent of freedom, and called for his impeachment).

Pete McCloskey: I knew the Union was too broken for us to remain. Sadly, I wish on this occasion that I had been proven wrong.

Governor Edward Crane calls Pat Robertson “the Cross-bearing Fuhrer”.

Friday, April 21, 1989

Governor George Wallace appears on the radio, and establishes a rationing program to deal with expected food and gas shortages. He also demands that Alabamans walk and bicycle for all but necessary (transport of food and injured people) transportation.

Hughes Ad:

(shot of a beautiful Southern forest).

Narration: Dixie is a beautiful land of proud tradition. You and your ancestors have fought hard and long to keep your beliefs and their property. But some have sought to destroy it.

(shot of Wallace scowling)

Narration: George Wallace has turned his nose up against what you and your ancestors have defended.

(video of a Holy Battalion giving free food to a bunch of children (all of them white))

Fight back, and join the Holy Battalions to defend your ideals.

Oregon Governor Victor Atiyeh (I-OR)*appears before the Oregon Legislative Assembly and pushes for a nullification clause similar to the one pushed by the Northeastern States, declaring “Our state will not be a party to the fanatical cult that calls itself a government from its war on the people of Alabama.” It is passed unanimously.

Washington Governor Joel Pritchard (I-WA)** also pushes for a similar nullification clause for the State of Washington.

*Atiyeh had been a Republican until 1986, when the Oregon Republican Party members nearly had him impeached over his opposition to the 28th amendment. He began relying on Oregon Democrats and Libertarians.

** Joel Pritchard had been elected in 1986 as a Republican, but broke with the President in late 1987.

The Red Cross releases a statement saying that the insurrection of Alabama and the conflict with the Libertarian communities out west has become “a civil conflict.”

Saturday, April 22, 1989

Tom Bevill (D-AL), one of the few remaining Southern Democrats in Congress, pushes the “End the Aggression Against Alabama Act” to stop the federal government’s attack on Alabama. The bill, due to CV control of the House, dies in committee.

Birch Bayh’s office-Capitol Building

“Goddamn it, Birch, isn’t there anything we can do,” screamed Senator Galtieri at Senator Bayh, sitting behind his desk. “These people have launched undeclared war on Wallace. They’re starting to attack my people. There’s got to be something we can use. Something-“

“We don’t have the votes to get it through the House,” shouted Birch with disgust. “Even we could, and it could pass Senate, Robertson would just veto it, and we sure don’t have the votes to override it.”

“And even if we could override the veto, Robertson could challenge it in court. Phyllis and her clique on the court would give him the right to do it in the name of ‘morality’,” scoffed Lincoln Chaffee. He looked down at his knees. “I’m thinking of just leaving the Senate and moving back to Rhode Island.”

“Lincoln, you can’t just-“

“Ron,” Chafee interrupted with, “you think I want to give in to those bullies down the street? The more we fight, the more we look like a rubber stamp. Maybe this is what we deserve.” He sighed. “We let Rummy turn us into a rubber stamp in the name of ‘freedom’, and now its all coming home to roost.”

Bayh looked at Chaffee’s hopeless expression. An expression he had seen on so many victims of Rumsfeld’s “war on the poor” back in Indiana. Lincoln Chaffee wasn’t the only Senator who said he wanted to resign Congress, and if Birch was being honest, he was tempted to do just that. Just another sign of how bad things had gone.

“Well there is something we can do,” Senator Galtieri said, his voice sounding a little more optimistic.

“What?”

“Let’s just make a statement, to show these CV nuts that we matter,” Galtieri said. “Maybe a protest of some kind to show we stand for liberty.”

“What does that get us,” Bayh said a note of sarcasm in his voice. “That just gives the CVs the right to charge us under that ‘moral decency law’?”

“All those brave souls who went down South in the 1960s to resist segregation had nothing but the clothes on their back and the will to resist injustice,” Galtieri said, his voice sounding serious. “They went up against impossible odds, and they managed to achieve quite a bit. Let us do something to remind people that they need us to govern. I mean, what else can we do?” Bayh and Chafee stared a bit, and then smiled.

“Civil disobedience,” Bayh said, his voice becoming slightly happier. “Well, I’ve always talked about the right to protest injustice. I guess it is time I get taken at my word. I’m in.”

“So am I,” Chafee said, feeling the most hope he felt in weeks.

In Lafayette, LA, LSU college students and many Cajun people protest the federal government’s attack on Governor Wallace. These protests are brutally suppressed by Louisiana National Guard and Holy Battalions.

Governor Willy Bell, a convert to the CV (and seen widely as a puppet of former Governor John Rarick, who serves as his Chief of Staff) denounces the protests as a “Satanic communist plot”.

Willy Bell: Some would confuse Wallace’s actions as some kind of expression of states’ rights. I say that Wallace’s resistance is pure treason. Not just against America, but against God’s word and all our sacred traditions. And any person who defends Wallace is an obvious fellow traveler of the anti-Christ.

Across much of Southern Louisiana, many protests have broken out against the Willy Bell and his administration.

Dixie Rising: Southern Resistance in the Second American Civil War, James Carville-2005

Louisiana’s resistance to the rise of the CV, came as a tremendous shock. Louisiana, on the surface, had been a reliably conservative state. But their resistance, like that of the CV, came about as a result of social and economic problems that had been building for the past decade.

Rumsfeldia With A White Hood

While most people claim Rumsfeldia began in 1981, for many Louisianans, Rumsfeldia actually began with the election of John Rarick to the governorship in 1979 on the American Independent ticket.

Rarick had been a former Dixiecrat, and a one-time ally of George Wallace. Unlike Wallace, however, he never fully abandoned White Supremacy. In the political chaos of the 1970s, Rarick was able to be elected governor due to Louisiana’s jungle primary.

From the day of his inauguration, Rarick had a thinly-veiled desire to bring about a return to some form of Jim Crow. He sought to ban interracial marriage, he pushed increasingly brutal criminal justice policies, he expressed a desire to criminalize homosexuality, and he used various schemes to suppress voting rights for African Americans. Many white supremacists would find a home in Louisiana, and more than a few would end working for Louisiana law enforcement. In many schools outside urban areas, 1950s era textbooks pushing the Dunning School of thought were pushed, and attempts were made to introduce them back into many urban areas. This proved moderately successful, outside of Baton Rouge, Lafayette and New Orleans, where there was significant resistance.

But unlike most old-time Jim Crow Democrats, Governor Rarick also applied a very rightist economic agenda against Louisiana. Many of the economic and social reforms of previous Louisiana governors, from education and health care, were cut back substantially, taxes on the wealthy were repealed, and many environmental regulations were eliminated.

The conditions in the state were hidden by a wall of censorship, but by the late 1980s, Louisiana had become one of the poorest states in the Union. Poverty rates were almost as high as they had been by the 1960s. And Louisiana suffered disproportionate rates of infant mortality, heart disease, life expectancy, murder rates, and many other indicators of standards of living.

The massive cutbacks to education resulted in a massive brain drain from the state, further weakening the states’ economy.

The reason for the lack of political response from Louisiana was due to the states’ bizarre political system, combined with political corruption and blatant voting fraud that was tolerated by the Rumsfeld administration.

On Louisiana television and in most media, the Rarick-Bell administration (as the two men were regarded as cut from the same cloth) liked to portray their state as a bastion of free-market economics, but in reality, both black and white citizens were bearing some of the worst economic conditions since the Great Depression.

With the ascendancy of the Christian Values Party, Rarick-Bell eagerly took the ideas of the CV, and switched to them in 1988.

However, they would soon find tremendous resistance in their own states.

The Two Fifth Columns

In Louisiana, there were two groups becoming increasingly opposed to the governorship of Rarick-Bell, but one of these groups was unknown in the rest of the Deep South.

African Americans suffered tremendous poverty and persecution. The greatest source of opposition by African-Americans was the city of New Orleans, by that time a predominately African American city. The city was governed under WTP, and its new leader Marc Morial, who like leftists in America, had abandoned the Democratic Party that seemed unable to stand up to Rumsfeld, and seemed to be copying Republicans in order to stay relevant.

As Rarick-Bell and Rumsfeld began severely cutting back welfare state, the WTP-controlled New Orleans became a de-facto state government, providing whatever welfare and education it could, as Rarick-Bell felt no need to provide those things to the people of New Orleans.

The second poll of opposition, however, became Catholic voters.

Unlike most Southern states, Louisiana had a large Catholic community since the days of European colonialism. Many of these were of French/Cajun and Creole extraction, but this community also included many Irish, Spanish, and Italian Americans.

By the late 1980s, Pope Pius had become a vocal opponent of the Rumsfeld administration and its hyper-capitalist policies. Bell, the uber-extremist, regularly attacked Pope Pius, often indulging in once-outdated anti-Papist conspiracy theories.

“The Pope has proven himself to be a fellow traveler with Communism,” Bell said.

This outraged many Catholic voters, who saw the Pope as a spiritual guide. Even non-practicing Catholics were horrified by a man trying to bring back horrific old prejudices that their ancestors had endured.

Cajuns, in particular, became highly opposed to Rarick-Bell.

Cajuns, in the first part of the 20th century, endured the suppression of their culture and language, as Louisiana’s old French political class was replaced by an Anglo-Saxon political class that look down upon Cajun culture. By the 1970s, Cajuns had won enormous political gains, as the state government invested in Cajun culture and language.

Rarick-Bell cutback these programs significantly. This, combined with the anti-Vatica attitudes of Rarick-Bell, would help turn much of Cajun Country into a source of opposition to the CV.

Sunday, April 23, 1989

Nebraska Governor Kay Orr (I-NE)* signs into law a bill that will bar the law enforcement in Nebraska from enforcing the Moral Decency Act, and for the immediate expulsion and arrest of any Holy Battalions. She cites the unconstitutional nature of the Moral Decency Act, and the attacks on law enforcement.

Kay Orr: “This bill is not only unconstitutional, but a blatant attack on basic human rights. Many law enforcement officials in Nebraska feel the same way, and have been threatened with violence if they choose not to heed the commands.”

*Kay Orr had been elected to the governorship as a Republican in 1986, claiming to be a vocal supporter of Donald Rumsfeld. However, after Rumsfeld’s impeachment in 1988, she declared herself an independent. She has begun building ties to the states’ Libertarian Party.

The White House

Tim LaHaye: That wretched women does not know her place before God. We must send in-

James Dorman: In due time Tim. But we must deal with these fires as they come. Let us eliminate the perfidy wherever we can.

Monday, April 24, 1989

Secretary of the Treasury Charles Keating organizes a “Literary Cleanliness Campaign”. Working with Young Disciples of Christ, a youth CV group in the nation’s capital, Keating kickstarts a public burning of pornographic material, science textbooks, and other “depraved material” on the National Mall, at the site of the destroyed Washington Monument.

Charles Keating: These young warriors of Christ, with God in their hearts, shall cleanse our nation of sins by ridding us of this depravity.

President Pat Robertson signs an executive order encouraging HBs and CV groups to begin destroying “obscene” material, and that any institution resisting the actions of the HBs will be shuddered, and that the campaign will be used to step up enforcement of the Healthy Education Act.

Soon, other CV institutions begin mass attacks on bookstores, libraries, schools, and universities, destroying other obscene literature. Observers note ironically that Fahrenheit 451 is an especially popular choice.

April-May 1989

Universities and schools across the Midwest and the South begin protesting the attack on their educational materials. Protests are violently suppressed, with many teachers incarcerated under the Healthy Education Act, and many students incarcerated under the Juvenile Delinquency Act.

The most dramatic incident takes place on May 10, when students and faculty (including President Leo J. O’Donovan) of Georgetown University, launch a massive sit down to prevent a Holy Battalion force from burning its library. The HB response results in the death of at least 23 people, including Donovan, the mass arrest of nearly 300 students and faculty, and Georgetown’s occupation by HB forces.

In the Louisiana Legislature, State Senator Fox McKeithen (son of the late 1972 Presidential candidate John McKeithen), introduces a bill calling for the impeachment of Governor Willy Bell. McKeithen begins a vocal campaign to challenge the Rarick-Bell order in Louisiana politics.

Tuesday, April 25, 1989

The Guardian

WHO Reports Reveal Shocking State of Public Health In the United States

There are many ways to measure the impact of Rumsfeld’s policies on the America. Some quantitative, some psychological. But health is one where can see the damage done to the American nation.

World Health Organization report revealing a shocking decline in public health in the United States.

Life expectancy, which was 73.61 years in 1980, has decline to 61.93 years. To understand this staggering statistic for an industrialized nation, we must look at other measures of public health in the report.

The number of 18-25 year-olds with respiratory ailments has quadrupled since 1978. The number of 18-25 olds who have suffered food-borne illness has tripled since that same year. The number of 18-25-year olds who have suffered water-borne illnesses has tripled.

“The dismantlement of product safety and environmental standards has created a severe public health crisis,” writes Dr. Michael Deffreyes, a Canadian physician who has treated American refugees, “as people are forced to breathe tainted air, drink tainted water, and eat tainted food.”

Another serious statistic is the decline of vaccinations. Rates of once preventable diseases, such as measles, chicken pox, and mumps, have risen as poverty, public cutbacks to health, and the declining quality of needle care have reduced the number of vaccinated children. Many nations now require immunization records from American migrants before entry.

“The situation is becoming comparable to a Sub-Saharan African nation,” writes Deffreyes.

Another serious statistic shows the explosion of STDs and other sexually transmitted diseases, including AIDS. This is attributed to the huge cutbacks to sexual education courses in many conservative parts of the United States in favor of abstinence only courses. This has also lead to spike in teen pregnancy as well.

“Children aren’t being properly educated about sex, and this is leading them unprepared for pregnancy and disease” writes Deffreyes.

Tim LaHaye, in a press conference, dismisses the WHO report as “Satanic propaganda”, and only a society of sinners could suffer from those disease.

Tim LaHaye: “Nonsense. This epidemic is God unleashing plagues on a depraved, and morality backward society. Just as God unleashed plagues upon the Pharaoh for his paganism, so he has chosen to unleash plagues upon a Godless society. But once we eliminate moral rot, God will cease these plagues”.

Japanese Culture Minister Masayuki Fujio suggests that the new Emperor Akihito is actually divine – reasserting a pre-war view of the Emperor. Prime Minister Yasuhiro Nakasone tries to dismiss Fujio, but his caucus and party secretariat turn on him, forcing the Prime Minister’s resignation five days later.

Wednesday, April 26, 1989

The Globe and the Mail

Puerto Rico’s Legislature Takes A Bold Step Toward Independence

The Legislative Assembly of Puerto Rico has passed a bill which establishes an independence referendum for the island to be held on July 1, 1989. Puerto Rican Governor Baltasar Corrada Del Rio signed the bill into law earlier that day.

“We no longer wish to be attached to the rotting corpse that is the United States,” Marco Diaz, a New York born Puerto Rican protestor said at a pro-Independence rally in San Juan

The independence movement has gained ground in the last few years as Puerto Ricans have seen their economy weaken due to the loss of tourism and foreign investment. Their desire for independence has been a desire to distance the island from the increasingly crazed policies of the federal government.

The movement has also been attributed to the influx of Puerto Ricans from the mainland US. Since 1985, it is estimated that over 1 million Stateside Puerto Ricans (many of them from New York) have fled to back to the island, escaping not only poverty but job discrimination and political persecution. The movement toward independence has been powered by the influx of Statesiders, and the bitter memories that many Puerto Ricans have escaped from.

“Many friends of mine have been attacked by these Liberty Legion and Holy Battalion scum,” says Hermann Badillo, anger in his face. Badillo had been the first Puerto Rican elected to the US Congress, and was recently elected to serve in the Legislative Assembly. “Many of us have seen firsthand what America has become and now we want nothing to do with that nation anymore.”

The movement has gained strong ground in late 1988, when the US economy collapsed, and the Christian Values Party were on the cusp of gaining power. In the 1988 Gubernatorial elections, Ruben Barrios, the once fringe leader of Puerto Rico’s Independence Party, won 25 percent of the vote. Governor Corrada, the winner of the election and leader of the New Progressive Party, had been a strong supporter of statehood. But the recent attacks on Alabama have left many Puerto Ricans skeptical about Robertson administration’s commitment to Puerto Rico’s rights, hence Corrada’s support for a referendum.

“If a state of the Union can no longer be safe from attack, then what rights do we have,” said Ruben Berrios, the head of Puerto Rican Independence Party. “Those gringos don’t have any respect for one of their own, what makes you think they have any respect for us?”

White House-Oval Office

Douglas Coe: Those Hispanic Papists! I say we unleash the sword of-

Pat Robertson: Douglas, we must desist.

Douglas: But Pat, these Puerto Ricans mock God by trying to leave our Holy Union.

Pat Robertson: I too am displeased with their heresy. But they can be dealt with at our time and choosing.

Douglas: How many sins can we let go unpunished?

Pat: Until we are in a position to deal with them decisively. Our Moral Decency campaigns have netted us many sinners who must work and atone, but we still need to prepare and train for the war on two fronts. Thus patience, or we will start fires that could consume us all.

Coe stormed out the room, his mind reeling for ways to push the Lords work.

Thursday, April 27, 1989

A pro-George Wallace protest in Odessa, TX is crushed by a group of Holy Battalions.

President Pat Robertson establishes by executive order the Federal Agricultural Loan Association, or FALA, to manage and collect on the terms of loans made to farmers under the Agricultural Credit Bill. It has ties with large agricultural firms.

Hughes Network Report:

“Puerto Rico has been taken over by a Castro-inspired Communist insurrection. This insurrection was aided by known Communist-Satanist, Baltasar Rio…”

Geraldo Rivera: These Puerto Ricans are trying to break apart the nation founded by our Godly Founding Fathers. Let’s give them the lesson we are giving the corrupt Cubans.

The Japanese 47,000 ton aircraft carrier Meiji is launched. Also launched around the same time is the 10,000 ton class guided missile cruiser Admiral Togo. The Togo is intended as a prototype for a class.

Friday, April 28, 1989

A group of Holy Battalions aligned with Texas Rangers attempted to raid and shutdown an abortion clinic in Houston, TX. They were blocked by a human chain of women, who depended on it for family planning and contraceptive services. Many pregnant women were among the mob blocking them, possibly in an attempt to deter the Holy Battalions.

The Holy Battalions and a few rangers shot at the mob and killed 12 of the women (half of them pregnant), before the crowd finally dispersed. The Rangers arrested many of the women protestors and the abortion clinic employees.

Hughes Network Report:

Anchorwoman: A mob of homicidal abortionists have been arrested for the death of six pregnant mothers in Houston. The holy forces of the HB have sent the Godless fiends responsible for the death of the unborn to moral decency centers…

Dallas, TX

Ross Perot sat in his office, reading aloud from the newspaper. His guests, Ron Paul and Mickey Leland, barely hid their impatience with his seemingly calm demeanor as he read the so-called “news.” Perot’s “associate”, Mr. Ruiz (a Mexican in an ordinary white dress shirt), wore a completely blank expression as the man continued to read.

“ Governor Taylor gave his thanks to the brave warrior’s of God for stopping those monsters from killing anymore pregnant women. He said the Holy Battalions truly represent what Texas is all about.’” Paul said, nearly gritting his teeth as he spoke.

Perot paused to take his glasses off, and then threw the newspaper across the room in a rage.

“Godamnit,” screamed Perot at the two men assembled. “This can’t continue! The CVs can’t hold that much power to keep doing this!”

“Not alone,” Paul said with annoyance. “They’ve got about one-third of the State Senate, and about 45 House seats.”

“The problem is those Rumsfeld Republicans,” Leland with disgust. “They only got into office because they claimed to love the ‘free market’, without Rummy-,”

“They were a bunch of cowards looking for the easiest tit to suck and the Christian Values gave them that,” Perot finished. Leland nodded, despite the very crude metaphor. “Of course, Taylor was among those cowards,” Perot grumbled. “Bush was a son of a bitch, but at least he had a fuckin’ brain stem and balls. These nuts are killing our state, and that man’s feeding from their trough.” He looked at Paul and Leland. “What do you too have in mind to deal with this?”

“Well,” Leland said, shifting in his chair, “we’re trying to get some of the-,” he paused as Perot seemed to be bristling.

“Try? Try?!” Perot stood from his chair. “I thought you people were supposed to be marching and rising up against the rich white man?!” He yelled at Leland. “Are you sticking it to man, or just some angry little Negro who riots and makes noise?!” He turned to Paul with an equally fierce glare. “And you, Paul. Are you really for freedom? Or just a bitch for the banks like they say you Libs are?!” He sat down with a sigh. “You WTPs and Libs talk about freedom. Start acting like it!”

Paul and Leland stewed for a bit, but then they smiled a bit. They realized then why Ross had gotten so rich. Any man could hurl insults, but a smart man could inspire his followers with invective.

“Mis amigos,” Mr. Ruiz said. “The problem is we are making the mistake that you and your country has been making for the last eight years.”

“What is that?” Paul asked.

“We have played their game even after they’ve mastered the rules.” He narrowed his eyes. “They’ve master them so well, they’ve rewritten them to benefit themselves. You and your Sovereignty keep trying to play by their rules.”

“And if we keep playing their game, we’ll lose because they designed it so,” Leland finished. Mr. Ruiz nodded.

“Senores,” Mr. Ruiz said. “The only way you can take those culos down is if we stop playing their game. Stop trying to play by the rules. We have to acknowledge that they we will keep getting us beat.” He paused as this meaning swept the three men in question.

“But by playing by the rules, we’ve given the CVs a great weakness,” Mr. Ruiz continued with a raised eyebrow. “The CVs gotten complacent with their success. They think we will still play their game. Let us pretend we are playing their game-”

“And then we hit them in a way they’ll never see coming”. Perot finished. He smiled as Mr. Ruiz nodded. “Sun Tzu talked about deception. That’s the best way to deal with a stronger opponent. Hit them at their weakest.”

“Maybe we need to show these nuts that real Texans won’t take their shit,” Paul finished with his own smile.

“Show them that they can’t divide us the way they used to,” Leland finished.

“You guys got some extra homework tonight,” Perot said to Leland and Paul, with some jest. “I’m gonna reach out to my friends.”

“For now, we’ll just act like useless idiots,” Paul said.

“You’re in politics Ron, that’s nothing new,” Leland said. The four men shared a good laugh.

Sunday April 30, 1989

Minnesota Governor Marlene Johnson (D) meets with North Dakota Governor Allen Olson (I) and South Dakota Governor George Mackelson (Lib) in St. Paul. They discuss security issues , CV subversion of local law enforcement, and maintaining unity in the face of federal dispute.

Riots breaks out in San Antonio and Houston over the massacre at the Houston abortion clinic (which, despite government censorship of the information, was spread through Liberty Spark).

Pope Pius gives a speech denouncing the actions of the Robertson administration, calling it “a twisted mockery of God’s word.”

During the speech, a protest by new Catholic group known as the Defenders of Rome against Pope Pius’ heresy. The protest faces a counter-protest by a group of self-proclaimed Communist agitators who claim to have been inspired by the Cuerdans to blaspheme the Church. The riot breaks out between the two (which a later investigations reveals to have been staged).

Masayuki Fujio replaces Yasuhiro Nakasone as Prime Minister of Japan.

Monday, May 1, 1989

Five members of Friends of Dublin, an IRA aligned Group, are arrested in Belfast for attempting a bank robbery. Among the five people are three American teenagers of Irish descent.

Irish Taoiseach Garret Fitzgerald dresses Dail Eireann, and pushes for a reform to immigration laws-namely restrictions and stronger political background checks- to deal with the influx of Irish American migrants from the US, estimated at being well over 300,000.

While Irish Americans do bring skills, several hundred have entered the conflict in Northern Island, which harms the security of both nations (especially as Rumsfeld and the CVs funded Unionist terrorism in Ireland). Irish-American youth and their more liberal culture are also challenging Irish society.

-----------

Interview with David Frost and Michael McKeene

David Frost: Good evening. My guest tonight is Harold Joyce. He is a former reporter for The Boston Globe. He currently works for the Irish Times, covering events involving American exiles.

Harold Joyce: Thank you for having me on David.

DF: Mr. Joyce, can you explain why young American exiles have involved themselves in the conflict in Northern Ireland? The British have proven to be very welcoming of American exiles.

HJ: Well, Mr. Frost, with young people, it isn’t about politics. Joining the IRA is about being young.

DF: How do you mean?

HJ: You forget that these kids have grown up seeing their parents losing their livelihood, or a relative given-um-ah-nervous breakdown, or simply by those Liberty Legions. I left after one of those thugs threw a stone through my window, and my son and daughter stew over it.

DF: But why join the Irish terrorists, who are attacking England?

HJ: It is an outlet of their rage over what happened in their own country. A lot of these kids come from liberal families. Even American kids not joining the IRA are acting rebellious. In Ireland, their indulging in sex and drugs, and this is creating a bit of culture war with native-Irish and their kids. If they didn’t do they, they’d be fighting in the streets of Belfast. If they were back home, they’d be protesting the CV.

----------

Tuesday, May 2, 1989

American olim protest at an internment camp in the Eilat for Bedouins who were once Israeli citizens. The protests are brutally broken up by Israeli police.

Protests rock Israeli embassies across Europe and Canada. Despite the Israeli government denouncing them “Nazi fronts” the protests are led by Jewish groups in these countries (some of them Soviet and American migrants who chose not to go to Israel, mainly because of Israeli governments expulsion of Arab citizens).

Recife has fallen to forces aligned with the Democratic Republic of the Amazon.

The College of Cardinals calls for the Pope to “deal with the heresies of the Cuerdans before they continue to inspire blasphemers,” citing last week’s protest.

Pope Pius responds with a denunciation of the hoodlums who attacked the Defenders of Rome, but reiterates that they do not reflect the true Cuerdans.

Wednesday, May 3, 1989

Attorney General Edwin Meese appears on Television. To deal with the “rioting and sinful hoodlums tearing up our cities”, Meese pushes the Safeguard Our Cities Program, which becomes known as the Meese Initiative. It gives the Attorney General the power to declare urban neighborhoods, “Trouble Zones”, areas of perceived “moral rot”. In areas designated Trouble Zones, residents are required to adhere to certain restrictions on travel and movement, curfews, face a strong presence of law enforcement, accept security checkpoints, and assist law enforcement in “the eradication of sin and squalor”. Law enforcement must always cooperate with authorities in these Trouble Zones.

Failure to follow the rules of Trouble Zones will result in a charge under the Moral Decency Act.

In five neighborhoods in Milwaukee, Cleveland, Columbus, Chicago, and Des Moines, Trouble Zones are declared. The number will grow before the end of the year.

Glenville, Cleveland

Myron James hopped into his used 1973 Chevrolet CK pickup truck, carefully maintained thanks to his genius of a mechanic, not eager for another day of work.

At least I won’t be getting investment certificates.

To his shock, he saw the road out of Glenville covered by some checkpoint set up by the Jesus nuts. He pulled his car in, only to see one of the CVs approaching him.

“Turn your car around sir,” the CV nut said.

“What is the problem, officer,” James said, forcing politeness in his voice. He knew that acting rude would be a good way to get shot. Cops looked for an opening to kill a black man. His mom said to be careful to pick what battles to fight.

“This area has been designated for sin,” the CV man said, “we are here to contain and remove it.”

“Sin?” James asked, confused. “I try to go to church every Sunday” he said with honest pride.

“Sin can spread if not contained. If the Lord deems you worthy, and you can prove your dedication to his cause, we will let you through.” The CV man gave him a deep glare. “Until then, you must remain.”

James reflected on how his neighborhood was being treated like some kind of leper colony.

“But how am I supposed to get to-,” James objected when he heard a loud gunshot in the distance. He turned to his left and saw the Battalions leading dozens of people onto their trucks. What stunned him was that some of the “respectable people” were walking alongside the dealers and pimps. He could barely make out the cries of the people being lead out of their homes, but they sounded like scared animals trying to escape a predator.

“Turn your car around,” the CV man said with a glare in his eye, “or be considered an enemy of God.”

James turned his car around slowly, walking away from a fight. He flinched at the sound of gunshots and screams.

The American Holocaust-Anne Appelbaum, 2006

While many apologists continue to deny the racial oppression of the CSA, even in its early stages, the CV Government was preparing to wage war on many minority groups.

However, simple racism is not the only reason for what would become the Meese initiative.

The CVs and their eventual violence toward racial minorities was not racial (although political buzzwords that appealed to racists were common in CV work), but often political. While there were a few prominent non-white conservatives like Alan Keyes and Clarence Thomas, most African Americans, Hispanics, and other minorities tended to vote Democratic or other left-leaning parties. Even social conservatives and church goers within these groups, often voted for left-leaning politicians, given that any readily available alternatives had been so badly compromised by the years of association with the failed Rumsfeld Administration.

As the 1980s progressed, the racism and poverty of the period drove many racial minorities to embrace WTP or even more radical groups like the Socialist Party. Rumsfeld used to this anger to divide left-wing opposition. By allowing WTP to gain power in the inner cities, and Rumsfeld was able to shatter the Democratic Party. Of course, the established Democratic Party abetted his program nicely with its Hamlet-like hand wringing over the situation until it was too late.

However, the CV had a very different view of WTP and the people who tended to vote for them, as a sacrilegious fifth column. They viewed the inner-city communities that rejected their message as a group devoid of God-which meant increasingly devoid of political or civil freedoms. They were also obvious political opponents, as very few of the residents had voted for CV or the Republican Party.

A map of Des Moines was uncovered, which showed predominately minority (or left-leaning) neighborhoods marked in Red as “Trouble Zones”. To all but the naïve, this was not coincidental.

This was also reflected in CV Propaganda in the 1988 election often portrayed WTP communities as “controlled by Godless Californians” or “the New San Franciscos.” Other messages, building upon Rumsfeldian propaganda, portrayed these communities as being predominantly criminal organizations. Asian communities were also implicitly labeled “drug-dens”.

One particularly damning memo from February 1989 by Edwin Meese was uncovered in which he wrote “those of darker complexions must be considered as devoid of Godly beliefs.”

The Meese Initiative was the natural outgrowth of this paternalistic and bigoted outlook. The Initiative, which basically allowed the government to lockdown entire inner-city neighborhoods.

This served many purposes. It allowed the CVs to greatly enhance their enforcement of the February Laws (netting more and more sinners), dispose of the most obvious human garbage, and maintain a close eye on a potentially rebellious community, who could be put in their place by the threat of arrest.

The communities where this occurred (mainly in the South and Midwest) had long been racially polarized. The non-white residents of these cities had little problem with the lockdown in these communities. Decades of “Law and Order” policies and racial code words had conditioned millions of these residents that the creation of Trouble Zones was necessary;

But as the country fell into turmoil, the Meese Initiative would turn these armed camps into deadly prisons.

Thursday, May 4, 1989

Mallory Davis, a housewife from Charleston, South Carolina, is convicted for violating the Family Security Act. She attempted to flee from her husband John, whom she claims to had subjected her to repeated rape and beatings and forced her to give up her secretary job.

The South Carolina authorities, dominated by the CV, attempted to arrest her for “violating her role as a housewife.”

Davis appeals the decision to the US Court of Appeals, in Davis v. South Carolina.

Friday, May 5, 1989

Nigerian President Ernest Shonekan, Senegalese President Abdou Diouf, and Ivorian President Félix Houphouët-Boigny meet in Abidjan with other West African leaders for a proposed trade deal among West African nations.

Since the slide of South Africa into pariah status, these relatively stable African nations have received considerable investment from Europe and the Soviet Union. Recently, Nigeria surpassed South Africa as the continent’s largest economy.

Saturday, May 6, 1989

Alabama Governor George Wallace announces on radio that all state-owned and public lands will be turned over “for agricultural development.”

“All gardens must be used for food. Pretty flowers won’t keep us all fed,” he said to the Senate.

It is clear that the limited bombing campaign and boycott is beginning to take a toll. All non-essential transportation (anything not related to military or emergency service) has ceased due to oil shortages. The bombing of transportation centers and roads has led to food distribution weakening across the state. Stores and markets are running low on many supplies. Electricity is shorting out due to a lack of fuel. Still Alabama holds out.

The forces of the Free Zaire Army (AZL), working with Nigerian and Belgian army troops, have captured the city of Kisangani from forces of Laurent Kabila. Despite valiant resistance, Kabila’s soldiers have suffered from the loss of Soviet aid. Zairian President Etienne Tshisekeidi celebrates this major victory for “freedom loving Zairians seeking to build a peaceful nation”.

Since 1981, after Mobutu Sese Seko’s overthrow and execution, the state of Zaire has disintegrated into a series of fiefdoms, as the generals who overthrow Mobutu fought amongst themselves for power. The South African government and the US government also funded many of these militias.

Beginning 1988, Etienne Tshisekeidi, a long-time Zairian opposition leader, has received direct backing from the French and Belgian governments, and some covert aid from the Soviet government, in order to gain access to Zaire’s abundant mineral reserves and not have to rely on South African minerals. These militias have largely fallen to better armed and train European and Zairian soldiers, especially as Malan ended aid for them.

Sunday, May 7, 1989

AP Lutali, Governor of American Samoa, arrives in Sacramento, reaching out to the McCloskey government about a possible annexation of the island territory to California from the United States. The Samoan government and public no longer wishes to be tied to the Robertson government, but wishes to maintain ties with North America, over any independence.

McCloskey sees American Samoa as a useful way for California to project power in the Pacific.

Alexander Farrelly, Governor of the Virgin Islands, speaks before the Legislature of the US Virgin Islands about a possible Declaration of Independence, similar in reason to the Puerto Rican independence movement.

Monday, May 8, 1988

US Armed Forces, backed by the Holy Battalions begin an offensive against Cuban forces in the city of Camaguey. This battle is the first one that involves American defectors fighting in Castro’s forces (estimated at nearly 25,000). This begins to create a morale problem among American soldiers, especially as Holy Battalions execute captured defectors on the spot.

Camaguey

Lester Burns, US Army, had seen many troubling things since he joined the army in 1978. Like the village of the walking dead in China. But nothing sent quivers down his spine like capturing and detaining one of his own.

“You motherfuckers are cowards,” screamed Albert Behrens, the mutinying soldier who was captured before the commies could make their retreat. “You think your tough shit! These commies have more courage in one finger-,”he was silenced by the Holy Battalion who pistol whipped Behrens.

“Commander,” Behrens said to the Holy Battalion Commander Hedges, “we’ve caught the prisoner, what do you wish to-,”

“Send him to hell, where he can be judged by his lord Satan,” Hedges said with disgust.

“Sir,” Burns said with some protest, “he’s one of us. The only reason why he rebelled against us is because the Liberty Battalions were killing some of us, and because Rummy sent him to the island with shit-,”

“And why did he do that,” asked Hedges in a crazed voice. “Because he was clearly a sinner. Only the wicked deserve such a fate. He showed his true colors by joining the Godless communists instead of repenting.” Burns was speechless at that. God didn’t make him defect, but Rummy and his insanity.

“But sir,”-he said, alarmed as the two Holy Battalions carried Behrens away.

“Do you wish to be counted as one of Satan’s agents,” Hedges interrupted. The two Holy Battalions paused to glare at Burns.

“No, sir,” Burns said timidly.

“Good,” Hedges said. “Now report back to your base!” Burns slowly walked away, resisting the urge to run from the Holy Battalion goons. He flinched as he heard a gunshot coming from the direction that the Battalions carried Behrens.

Thursday, May 11, 1989

The Supreme Court rules 6-3 in favor of the state of South Carolina in the Davis v. Carolina decision. Phyllis Schlafly writes the majority opinion stating “that Davis’ complaints are superseded by the need for the stability her family, and that her refusal to pursue her motherly role does greater damage to the stability of the Union. To maintain the stability of the marital compact, Davis must remain subservient to her husband.”

Pat Robertson appears on television praising the Davis ruling for “returning God to the American family.”

Toni Morrison (living in Sacramento): “Susan B. is rolling in her grave now.”

Protests breakout across the US against the Davis ruling. Feminist groups in particular lead the protests. In one notorious protest, a group of working class women dump various receipts relating to the cost of childcare on the steps of the Illinois State Capitol-a mirror to Schlafly’s own STOP ERA protests in the same place over a decade ago. Many of the activists are charged under the Moral Decency laws and deported.

Friday, May 12, 1989

Atlanta Mayor Andrew Young (WTP) and the Atlanta City Council are arrested by Georgia Police, aligned with the Holy Battalions for refusing to enforce the February Laws.

“I praise our police for having the courage to come down on Satan’s forces,” said Georgia Governor Guy Davis (CV), ”Young and his ilk, who must have been compromised by Satan’s forces, refuse to clean up their city, so we’ll clean it up the city, so we’ll clean it up for them. In doing so, we can prevent any attacks like we saw in Washington.”

He also announces a plan to turn much of inner city Atlanta into a vast trouble zone.

This leads to protests, not just in Atlanta, but throughout Georgia. Guy Davis was elected in 1986 as a Republican in what was believed to be a complete sham of an election, beating popular governor Joe Harris (who refused to acknowledge the results of the election, and was locked up in a mental asylum).

Davis defected to CV in late 1988, and has been quick to enforce the February Laws.

Riots breakout across Atlanta, leaving nearly 56 dead, and 300 injured.

Saturday, May 13, 1989

The Hughes Network airs The Feminist Myth.

Plot: Mary Lewis lives happily as a housewife with her husband, Michael, and her two children, Virginia and John. One day, she witnesses a feminist protest, and falls victim to “the myth of liberation.” She decides to leave her housewife life behind, over Michael’s protests that she is abandoning their children.

John ends up shooting himself with Michael’s gun, as Mary was not watching her, and their babysitter was neglectful. Michael blames Mary and storms out of the building. At work, Michael is bullied by his co-workers for “not keeping his woman in line.” In frustration, he drinks away his sorrows and is killed in a drunk driving accident.

Now Mary is forced to take two jobs to care for her children, who are left to fend for themselves as she cannot afford a babysitter. Without Michael to keep her in check, Mary begins engaging in lesbian affairs and experimenting with marijuana (which is labeled “devil grass” in the movie), to deal with the stress of two jobs and two children. Being neglected by their mother, John and Mary start taking heroin to cope with their mother’s “abandonment of them”.

Due to a one late night sex party, Mary comes home late and discovers her children were murdered by a burglar. At their funeral, Mary is disowned by her family for not “heeding her place as a mother.”

Eventually, Mary is fired after her lesbian relations are discovered. She tries to find shelter in a church, but is thrown out after testing positive for an STD. The film ends with Mary dying of hypothermia.

Historical notes: The film is seen as an attempt to discredit feminism. However, modern audiences who watch the movie see Mary as victim of society and its prejudices against working women, rather than a woman who was paying for her refusal to live a life of domesticity. Thus, the film is unexpectedly popular among left-wing, libertarian, and LGBT groups. Roger Ebert, who had relocated to Los Angeles, famously called the movie “the Reefer Madness of feminism, a movie that unintentionally glorified very thing it tried to denounce.”

Sunday, May 14, 1989

California Treasurer Thomas Hayes announces that California will switch over to the new California Dollar, beginning August 1, 1990, and that Californians must contact local banks to exchange their currency by that time.

The new currency is pegged to the value of the yen (which is becoming the currency of the Asia-Pacific region) and features coins with denominations of 5 cents, 10 cents, 25 cents, a half-dollar, and 1 dollar coins. Banknotes will feature 5$, 10$, 25$, 50$, and 100$.

The move is the latest in the Californication movement, a campaign by the McCloskey government to build California’s identity separate from Washington. Calfornia's money has various symbols and figures of importance to the state. Washington is still on the 1 (California still respects the legacy of the Founding Fathers), while James Marshall is on the 100.

Monday, May 15, 1989

Columbia Pictures, once the largest film studio of the 1980s, files for bankruptcy. The studio has largely depended on tax subsidies from the Rumsfeld government and loans from its parent, TRW (which relies on Hughes Network to make films). Its propaganda pieces are not considered to be viable properties outside of non-Rumsfeldian audience.

Many small-time filmmakers (many of them refugees from the rest of the United States) buy up the auctioned equipment and properties. This will lay the groundwork for California’s Cultural Renaissance.

Tuesday, May 16, 1989

The city of Colorado Springs, Colorado (a bastion of the CV movement in the West) rebels against the Colorado State Government for refusing to enforce the February Laws, and attempts an insurrection against the city of Denver. Governor John Arthur Love (I-CO) sends in Colorado State Guard to put down the revolt.

White House

Douglas Coe: Pat we must aid our brothers to stomp out the decadent Denver Satanists.

Pat Robertson (sadly): I would love nothing more to aid our brothers and sisters. But we must allow them to stand on their own.

Coe: But Pat, they are rising up against sin and squalor. We must send forces to them-

Robertson (angrily) But we risk running into a gauntlet of Libertarian forces who do not welcome us. We already faced tremendous resistance to them in April. And whom we are not prepared to deal with.

Coe: But Mr. President-

Robertson: Doug, I sympathize with you. But we must be patient. Patience is what allowed us to deal with that sinner Rumsfeld, and that false believer Jeremiah.

Coe walked away, fuming over Robertson’s weakness.

Thursday, May 18, 1989

A picture of a flattened schoolhouse in Alabama is smuggled out of the besieged state. It is published in the New York Times. It becomes one of the defining images of the Second American Civil War.

Sunday, May 21, 1989

Joseph Franklin Ada, the Governor of Guam, receives Japanese and Hawaiian trade officials in Hagatna on what is officially meeting about agricultural exports. In reality, Ada is negotiating the sale of US Naval Bases to Japan in exchange for support for independence.

Tuesday, May 23, 1989

British and Republic of China officials, along with Hong Kong politicians arrive in Edmonton (at the invitation of Prime Minister Lougheed) to negotiate the status of Hong Kong, Macao, and the territories surrounding the Pearl River Delta. The meeting will lay the groundwork for what will be known as the Alberta Agreement.

Thursday, May 25, 1989

Riots breakout in Manila against the corruption of the Marcos regime, and the deteriorating economic conditions that are the result of economic sanctions. The protests have been fueled by Americans of Filipino ancestry who fled the US after 1985.

A strike breaks out at shipyards in Busan, Korea. The protestors are demanding democratic reforms. The Korean military crushes the protests, killing an estimated 25 people. The protests are leading to international condemnation, especially as the ROK government’s government’s complaints about Communist insurrection are becoming hollow, as Korea trades with the USSR and the DPRK.

Friday, May 26, 1989

A refinery in Beaumont, Texas suffers a catastrophic explosion, killing 25 people. The Exxon oil company refuses to compensate the families of the deceased, nor the survivors, as they claim the explosion was the work of “Satanic-saboteurs” and not due to equipment.

This leads to major protests that are put down by Texas and CV law enforcement. Unusually, the protestors are waving Texas flags, and wearing Texas memorabilia. The impact of law enforcement attacking protestors who celebrate Texas’ traditions is not yet realized by the Taylor government.

Saturday, May 27, 1989

In the Chilean city of San Fernando the carpenters strike against the Cuerdan enforced principles of barter trade and unrewarded labour (according to Cuerdan teaching a man must work for his food and shelter alone, and all other payment is to be denied. Absolute Poverty is not a condition to be conquered, but a necessary first condition to liberation and salvation.). The symbolism of carpenters striking against a radical Christian movement is not lost on many, and perplexes Cuerdan leaders who cannot seem to understand why workers would reject a life of piety and poverty to demand fair wages and a chance to charge for their skills,

Sunday, May 28, 1989

Memphis, TN

Jodi Thomas walked back to her waitress job after a lovely 3 PM lunch break, clad her tacky but fitting pink server dress, her second hand but fashionable sandals, and her small rosary with the wooden cross hidden underneath her shirt.

Since her boss, Allen, could finally start paying her in cash instead of those certificates, she had been more hopeful about the future. The CVs, besides getting rid of the drug dealers, feminists, and pimps, were now were putting food on her table. She would never regret selling her vote to them.

She arrived at work, and saw Allen arguing with some blond woman in his office. Jodi remembered her vaguely. She had served this woman dinner the night before. The lady was polite, but she spent the night giving her and her two sons odd looks. When the woman saw her enter, she paused and saw that same odd look.

She waited patiently outside, waiting for the argument to cease. Allen stepped outside after a minute, and gave Jodi a nervous look.

“Hey Jodi,” Allen said in a nervous tone.

“Allen, is there something wrong,” Jodi asked.

“Um, Jodi,” Allen asked, “How would you feel about going home to raise Bobby and Barty?”

“Are they making too much noise in the diner,” Jodi asked. “I can tell them to hush up if you want-,”

“No Jodi,” Allen said, taking her hands. “It is just that, I feel that Booby and Barty would be better off if you took time off to take care of them.”

“You’re letting me go,” Jodi asked, shouting in a rage.

“I feel that you deserve the freedom to be a wife and mother, and that this job prevents you from taking care of your children-,”

“Was it that nut that told you to fire me,” Jodi yelled, pointing at the blond women. Allen’s face became graver, answering Jodi already. She stormed over to the office, ignoring Allen’s requests to simmer down.

“Hello, sister in God,” the woman said to Jodi as she stormed in. Jodi actually got a good look at the lady. She was sitting in Allen’s chair. She wore a dark business suit, which showed off the generous curves of a woman who had probably never had a child, which was incongruous with her 40-something face. In between her breasts was a rosary with a large, golden crucifix, which glistened in the light. As if she felt the need to show off her faith.

“What this hell is this,” Jodi asked in rage. “Why are you telling Allen to fire me?!”

“Well,” the woman said, a teenage queen-style smirk growing on her face, “we feel that women with children should spend their time raising them, instead of worrying about a job.”

“Well Ms,-“ Jodi paused, waving her hand in the air, as she did not know her name.

“Alice,”

“Ms. Alice,” Jodi finished, gritting her teeth. “I raise my kids just fine. After school, I have one of the high school students drop’em off here at 4 PM. They stay here and do their work until 9PM, when we go home. I can watch’em just fine.”

“Mrs. Thomas,” Alice said, rising from the chair, “God mandated that woman is only truly free in their home. This work is keeping you from your true role as mother.”

“I said I still do that here, between 4 and 8 PM,” Jodi barked.

“I saw how well you took care of your children,” Alice said, with the compassion befitting of a rich turd,” when you couldn’t pay them any attention, they were all their lonesome. Proving that returning to the home is God’s way for every mother.”

“How dare you tell me how I raise my children,” Jodi yelled, almost getting into the woman’s face. “Do you have children yourself, Alice?! Have you ever raised a fuckin’ family?!”

“Watch your language,” Alice said slowly, as if talking to a two-year-old. “I don’t have children. If I did I would be forced to give up my career.” She paused. “My solemn duty in ensuring that women live according to God’s will.”

“It is God’s will that I have to starve,” Jodi yelled. “My husband and I barely make ends meet. Without this job, we’ll go broke!”

“Live according to God’s will, and a plentiful life will come,” Alice said calmly.

“I can’t wait for God’s will to pay my mortgage,” she yelled, but then felt Allen dragging her by the arm out of her office before Alice could reply. She yanked her arm from Allen’s grasping.

“Allen, why are you letting that nut fire me,” Jodi asked Allen in anger in desperation. She could see Alice giving her a smug smile.

“Jodi,” Allen said with regret. “The CVs are the only place giving me reasonable loans. They said, ‘if I don’t run this place according to Christian Values’, I am on my own.”

“So after 12 years, that’s it,” Jodi said, her voice becoming quiet. “I’m finished. Because you want to take the CVs and their silver?”

“Every other bank is run like some mafia cartel Jodi,” Allen said sadly. “I wish I didn’t have to do this.” He pulled out his wallet. “Here’s two weeks pay as a severance.” He placed the cash on the table. Jodi silently stared at it, before knocking the cash off of the table with her purse.

“Goodbye,” Jodi said, running out the door, feeling tears run down her eyes.

“Jodi wait,” Allen said. “It wasn’t personal.” Allen turned around, and saw Alice walking out of the office, a happy look on her face.

“Don’t worry,” Alice said with a frighteningly genuine sympathy. “She’ll learn to live according to Jesus’ will.” She walked passed them. “Or be sent to the eternal fire,” she muttered as she walked out the diner.

Allen returned to office in a daze. He gulped a bottle of Jack Daniels’, and angrily knocked the picture of Jesus off of his desk.

Tuesday, May 30, 1989

In Matewan, West Virginia, mine collapse leaves dozens of miners trapped underground. Authorities claim they are unable to aid the miners, citing budget constraints and-to the anger of the mining community-claiming the trapped miners are “sinners on who deserve to rot”.

Thursday, June 1, 1989

The CV-aligned Representatives and Senators arrive at Capitol Hill, only to find themselves blocked by several armed guards hanging outside, keeping them out.

“What is this,” shouted Senator Mike Huckabee. “Why are we being kept out?”

“Only the representatives of the American people are allowed to enter,” replied the guard.

“You lowly heathen,” Huckabee shouted. “I am ordained by God to legislate on behalf of the American people.

From the roof with a loudspeaker, several representatives read a prepared statement that is later recorded by news camera’s all around the world:

“We, the duly elected members of Congress, do declare that the current administration has defied the stated limits of the executive, defied the Bill of Rights, and defied its responsibility to preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution.”

“The Christian Values Party is also guilty of abrogating its responsibility, and we will not serve alongside its members.”

“If you wish for us to open the doors to the Capitol, here are our demands:

1. That you concur in our demand that the executive ceases the enforcement of the Moral Decency Act, the Healthy Education Act, the Juvenile Delinquency Act, and the Family Security Act.

2. That the executive ceases the conflict in Cuba and withdraws all troops from this illegally declared war.

3. That all members of Congress swear their loyalty to the Constitution and declare openly that they will not support the executive in its current unconstitutional acts.

We will not rest until these demands are met.

The White House

LaHaye: Pat, the sinners have taken over Congress, let us obliterate that building of licentious-

Robertson: No Tim. Such an attack would weaken belief in our institutions.

LaHaye: These people don’t deserve mercy, but to burn in the eternal fire!

Robertson: I agree, but they have support still in areas we are not prepared to deal with. So, we cannot march there with extreme violence.

LaHaye: You wish to let these people defy his word?

Robertson: No. (a smile appears on his face) We shall lay siege to them. Cut off food, water, and electricity. They cannot stay in Congress forever without those things. In a few days, they will leave of their own volition, and come to seek out our word. We can arrest them, while portraying them as the weak-willed criminals they are.

Pat Robertson appears on television and signs an executive order declaring that no food or water is to be sent to the renegade senators locking everyone out, under the threat of treason.

The Siege of Congress begins.

June 2-July 4

The Siege of Congress. Non-CV aligned members of Congress barricade themselves in the White House, refusing to leave unless their demands are met. Police officers, Holy Battalions, and others surround the White House, preparing to arrest any Congressman or Senator who tries to leave.

Often times, CV loudspeakers spout religious slogans and bible passages in order to get the barricaded soldiers out.

Saturday, June 3, 1989

Protests breakout across the US and the world in favor of the anti-CV legislators. Many of the protestors are arrested by the CV forces.

Laurie Pritchett, the Police Chief of Albany, Georgia, is arrested by Georgia authorities under the Moral Decency Act for refusing to enforce the February Laws. Pritchett, infamous for having been an opponent of the Civil Rights Movement, returned to his job in 1987, ironically with the aid of the Black Community, as he had come to oppose Rumsfeld.

Monday, June 5, 1989

A student protest at Duke University breaks into a massive riot that is brutally suppressed by Holy Battalions. CV authorities order the school closed until it can "banish the demons of godlessness."

Tuesday, June 6, 1989

A riot takes place in North End, Detroit. Residents are claiming the creation of a Trouble Zone in their community has disrupted quality of life, and the flow of goods, and that many of the arrests have been of a racial bias. Dozens of people, arbitrarily labeled "rioters", are arrested under the provisions of the February Laws.

Detroit Mayor Dennis Archer (MI-WTP) sues the government, claiming "the declaration of Trouble Zones is a gross violation of civil rights, and the violation of Interstate Travel." The case becomes known as City of Detroit v. United States.

An explosion takes place at the Dearborn Mosque. CV authorities claim the attack was an attempt by the Muslim community at "religious suicide," and round up huge numbers of the Arab American community, including Arab Christians.

During the round up, the mosques Korans are burned.

Wednesday, June 7, 1989

A report by the Red Cross indicates that the average daily caloric intake in Alabama has decreased by at least 40% percent do the blockade and the effects of bombing. And that famine is "increasingly likely".

An effort at talks between the Chilean government and Cuerdans break down in a dispute as to whether the delegates should sit on chairs or hard wood stools during the talks. The Cuerdans also object to the government representatives’ unwillingness to wear hair shirts. The government for their part chafes at Cuerdan insistence that the government negotiators perform acts of humility before the talks can begin.

“I will not wash a peasants smelly feet, nor will I dig a latrine, much less give away all my worldly goods, just to have the privilege of talking to these mad monks,” one Chilean general complains.

Friday, June 9, 1989

Alaska Governor Wally Hickel (I*-AK) appears on television to denounce the attacks of the CV, and pushes Alaska toward independence, citing the Siege of Congress and the attacks on the state of Alabama.

Hickel: "My fellow Alaskans. 3 decades ago, Alaska, then a territory, was given the great honor of being allowed to join the Union. Many of us, including myself, desired this, because we desired to be a state in the United States. To partake in the ideals of democracy and liberty. I myself had the great honor to serve in our nation's highest cabinet. However, today I am demanding that Alaska seceded from the Union."

"Some of you, including President Robertson, may think of me as a traitor. Some of you came from the Lower 48, and are apprehensive about. That I am betraying my country. But my fellow Alaskans, we must ask ourselves, is this the United States that we hoped to be a part off? No."

"Over the past 8 years, the America we all knew and love has been slowly eaten away. The Republican Party under Donald Rumsfeld, which I was a member of, became the party of oppression, burning our rights and freedoms on the pyre of greed, imperialism, megalomania, and religious dogma. Some of us had been silent, others indifferent, others celebrating the deterioration of our society. Perhaps we all are to blame for this state of affairs. But I will no longer be silent."

"After Rumsfeld's removal, I believed that perhaps that America could recover and rise to the top once again. However, the members of Congress proved inept to resolving the damages, and that indifference paved the way for the rise of Pat Robertson."

"Robertson, despite being a man who believes in God and states' rights, violates His word and has waged war on the people of Alabama for refusing to endorse his heinous laws. This proves that he sees the various states, not as partners in liberty, as vassals that must provide tribute to serve his glory. He has defied his executive power, and forced our Congressman to barricade themselves in our door.

"We stand where Washington and Jefferson stood over two centuries ago. A far off empire demands our resources and lives without giving us political freedoms. But I will not allow our states mineral wealth to be used to fund and fuel this his mad schemes. All good Alaskans must stand off against this monstrosity."

A debate begins in the Alaska legislature.

* Hickel had been a Republican until 1985. He was elected to the Governorship on an independent ticket (albeit with the support of the states' Libertarian Party."

June 10-15, 1989

In the city of Cheyenne, WY, several Western and Midwestern politicians meet to discuss a united resistance front against the increasingly violent actions of the Robertson administration. This is in response to the continued attacks of the people of Alabama, the arbitrary and unconstitutional arrests under the February Laws, and the Siege of Congress.

The convention, officially titled the Council of Basic Rights, becomes known as the Cheyenne Convention. The resulting documents, officially title Article of Fundamental Rights, becomes informally known as the Western Manifesto.

On June 15, Wyoming Governor Alan K. Simpson (WY-L) reads the text of the document in the Wyoming State Capitol, declaring:

"The rights, as believed by the undersigned, of the Articles of the Fundamentals are enshrined as follows."

1. The right to freedom of travel

2. The right to maintain ownership of property.

3. The right to a speedy trial.

4. The right of an individual to have control over his or her own biology (Seen as a codeword for reproductive rights).

5. The right to elect one’s representatives according to the principle of one person, one vote.

6. The belief that the vote is a fundamental right of the individual, and as such cannot be sold traded to otherwise conferred by one individual to anyone else or to any group.

6. The right to control one’s personal relations.

7. The right to an independent judiciary.

8. The right to consume and indulge.

9. That war and conflict be done only with the consent of the legislature.

10. That no group, religious or commercial, be allowed to influence the governance of a nation.

11. That freedom of religion must be defended.

"It is the statement of this Council that this government is under the control of fanatics who, been given precedent by the abuses of the Rumsfeld administration, have come to regard these rights human rights as a mere triviality, an obstacle for imposing their will on the nation."

"In the past few months, this executive has defied the role by issuing executive orders on sweeping national policies, and the Supreme Court has neglected its duty of limitations by allowing these policies to be put forth. The executive has defied the principles of federalism by waging a cruel war on the people of Alabama, for refusing to enforce this corrupt legislation."

"The undersigned of the Articles will not participate or cooperate with the February Laws, which have trampled over these rights."

"The undersigned shall not participate in the desires of the executive or judiciary until the following demands are met."

1. That the secession of California is recognized.

2. That the enforcement of the February Laws ends.

3. That the conflict against the State of Alabama ceases.

Over 100 Western politicians sign the Manifesto.

Among the signatories are:

Wyoming Governor Alan Simpson
    Former Wyoming Governor Wilmard Simpson
    Idaho Governor Edward Crane
    Utah Governor Norman Bangerter
    Nebraska Governor Kay Orr
    Minnesota Governor Marlene Johnson
    North Dakota Governor Allen Olson
    South Dakota Governor George Mackelson
    Former California Governor Barry Goldwater (currently a resident of Arizona)
    Colorado Governor John Arthur Love

Sunday, June 11, 1989

News of Alaska's move toward independence causes the price of gas to rise by 40 %.

President Robertson signs an executive order on gas rationing, the first such order since 1979, and begins pushing for the development of coal for fuel.

The foreign ministers of the Republic of China, South Korea, North Korea, North Vietnam, South Vietnam, the Philippines and Thailand meet without press coverage at an out of the way villa in the Swiss Alps. This unprecedented gathering of erstwhile allies, foes and trading partners is to discuss their mutual concerns of the Japanese re-armament program and the new militant nationalism of the Japanese government under Prime Minister Fujio.

Friday, June 16, 1989

Alaska's Legislature votes to secede from the United States, becoming the Alaskan Republic.

Sunday, June 18, 1989

In response to the failure of Chicago authorities to participate in the February Laws, a Trouble Zone is placed around

Monday, June 19, 1989

Lowell Weicker, acting as a representative of the Northeastern States, arrives in London to meet with European officials about food and energy aid.

In the decision of City of Detroit v. The Supreme Court rules 6-3 in favor of the creation of Trouble Zones, and their judicial power to control movement in the name of security and defending morality.

Wednesday, June 22, 1989

A mass strike in Charleston, West Virginia, protesting exploitative labor practices, is brutally suppressed.

In Austin, a similar protest of oil workers is also brutally suppressed.

Thursday, June 23, 1989

Coe: Pat, how much longer can we ignore the elephants in the room?
    Robertson: Once we have our arsenal, we can begin to punish sinners.
    Coe: And those sinners in Congress.
    Robertson: They run on sinful desire. That will go away once their food and water does. I assure you when that happens, they will go peacefully.
    Coe: But sir, those hedonists in the West, and those pagan Indians in Alaska-
    Robertson: Douglas, we are simply not ready. If we go into this conflict half-hearted, we will lose our Crusade in the long term. clenching his jaw). But in the meantime, we will continue to hunt whoever we can.
    Coe stormed away, finally realizing that he must take up the mantle.

Saturday, June 25, 1989

A site for human sacrifice is seemingly uncovered by Holy Battalions in the Choctaw Reservation. CV forces begin deporting hundreds of members of the reservation, in connection with their association with "paganism and Satanism".

Friday, June 30, 1989

A helicopter carrying President Pat Robertson crashes over Eastern Virginia. Pat is killed in the crash. Much of the helicopter’s remains are shipped away and sent to scrap yards, so no conclusive cause of the crash is ever put forth. The crash is blamed as an act of sabotage by “Satanic traitors”

Steven Symms in sworn into the office as 44th President of the United States.

President Symms pledges to complete Robertson’s work, and crush the sinners that made him a martyr.

Richmond Times Dispatch

Pat Robertson-The American Lenin

June 30, 2009

Twenty years have passed since the still unexplained crash of Marine One carrying President Pat Robertson’s. Since that time he has gained a very strange and unexpected reputation. The few remaining apologists for the Christian Values Party often claim he was the target of a conspiracy by Douglas Coe and Tim LaHaye, who usurped Pat’s vision.

Though the cause of the infamous crash remains uncertain, such a conspiracy theory adds a sense of potential mystique around the short-lived CV President. For many Christian apologists, Pat Robertson could have successfully implemented the Christian utopia that many of them dreamed off, but that was ultimately destroyed by, in their words, Coe’s Robertson’s madness. This argument also includes the fact that Robertson, as the son of the US Senator, would have had greater respect for the institutions of their country.

Many people say the same thing about Lenin today: that he had a more perfect vision of Communism, and that the vision was ultimately betrayed the individual that followed him.

But even those without much sympathy for the Christian Values often wonder, wistfully, about how things might have turned out differently if Pat Robertson had not died and America had not descended into civil unrest. Perhaps America could have remained a nation that stretched from sea to shining sea. Perhaps millions of lives didn’t need to be lost.

Of course, such wistfulness ignores that fact that both Lenin and Robertson were utterly responsible for the course that followed.

Lenin had set the stage for Stalin, with his acts of terror, and his brutal confiscation of food supply. This so-called defender of workers had brutally suppressed the right of Russians to elect their own leaders. Whatever personal qualities Lenin had, he had as much responsibility for the brutal course Russia took in the 20th century.

Robertson himself had even less personal qualities then Lenin even.

His heritage was that not that of a noble political tradition, but one of bigotry and hate. His father, Absalom Willis Robertson was a member of a corrupt political machine and a supporter of a system of racial bigotry that denied Americans constitutional rights.

Robertson’s “sermons” were little more than coded bigotry. He frequently indulged in what was barely-veiled attacks on reproductive rights, religious freedom, women’s rights, and free speech. In his many of his works, Robertson indulged in antisemitic and anti-liberal conspiracy theories.

This man who claimed to serve God’s kingdom was an unscrupulous man, who took money from odious megacorporations and had business ties with Magnus Malan, the Duvaliers and other so-called allies of freedom barely distinguishable from gangsters.

His also willingly lied about his military service in Korea, which consisted of being a glorified bartender, and sleeping with Japanese prostitutes.

He was also a willing participant in Rumsfeldia, serving and working with Rumsfeld to slowly wear away at American democracy, and eagerly using new business laws to create new “Christian corporations.” He also built schools that were little more than indoctrination centers for children. He also fed from the corporate table, working with Hughes and other corrupt companies for his own goals.

As President, he did in fact plot to bring war to the breakaway regions of America, turned CV corporations into business fronts for drug cartels, and implemented a system of forced labor rivaling that of the gulag, and bullied other state governments into providing him human chattel.

Like Lenin, Robertson’s glowing reputation had less to do with any real quality of the man, and more to do with the horrors that followed them.

------------------------------------------------------------------

From the Journal of Kiyang Lu

As so many of us had during the years of the Lesser Mao, we learned to create an outer self to hide the truer, inner self. The outer self bowed to the God of Islam in return for rice and for shelter, all the better from the years of living in caves and eating grass and assorted varieties of dung. Even the strange rules of this Islam were better than a diet of dung.

We bowed to the caliphate masters because they gave us life and purpose. We were whole again, in a way we had not been for many years. Even though our wholeness came with subservience to a foreign superstition religion, still bowing to the foreign words – meaningless as their content really was – made us better for the time.

Even empty words had power, though. They helped us to conquer the warlords, those shameless exploiters of our country’s weakness. We all watched eagerly as one ruthless pirate after another was conquered, and his head rightly severed from his shoulders. We took the cities of Chingking, Chendu and Xian in our move further to the west, converting more of our number to this Islam. The people greeted us with great rejoicing and, as I had, eagerly embraced the Islam that had freed them, and gave them rice. Meaningless as it was, this Islam gave us a force – an idea- to bind us together and retake our nation from the foreign devils and the ultimate exploiter warlords, the Nationalists from Taiwan. Soon we would have them all, and their heads would fall from their shoulders.

Even on the northern borders, against the barbarian tribes and the Siberian long noses, our Islam had success, though for different reasons. I watched as an engineer from Poland, one captured by us in one of the many Mongolian raids, was brought into the fold of Islam. He took the name Abu Nuri and became a brother. Soon he was dispatched to spread this Islam in the land of his birth, Poland. I know not what became of him, but I heard that the heathen barbarian Russians soon put a price on his head. Their anger made me believe that Abu Nuri was being very successful in his mission.

Good! Let all the devils rot!

Now, at last, we were in a position to turn our eyes, and guns, on the foreign devils in Hubei and Henan.

--------------------------------------------------------

Status
    Not open for further replies.