Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

So Holy Fury may be adding one or more ways to convert to Hellenism, and perhaps some expansion of Hellenism's features to go with it....

Will we be able to create the chaos gods in game? You can customise your pagan religion it would be silly not to be able to do that. Also imagine the mods when they work with this i.e. game of thrones and warhammer the religions will be much more fun.

So Holy Fury may be adding one or more ways to convert to Hellenism, and perhaps some expansion of Hellenism's features to go with it....
So they did a bit more than just making Hellenism legitimately playable...
Will we be able to create the chaos gods in game? You can customise your pagan religion it would be silly not to be able to do that. Also imagine the mods when they work with this i.e. game of thrones and warhammer the religions will be much more fun.
You could do bloodthirsty warlike religions. Actual names would be different, of course.

I hate when they pour a bunch of effort into stupid ahistorical gimmicks like that. I'm glad it's a game rule, though. That way I can turn it off and forget it's even in the game.

I keep Satanists turned off for precisely the same reason.

Hellenism has literally been requested since people found it and started cheating it in.

Like, it will only ever occur if the player chooses and historically there was the late Byzantine philosopher who appears to be the inspiration for the logic of the events. Gemistus Pletho I think?

I definitely think Holy Fury already has so many things going for it though, and this is just pure fanservice on top of the other main features.

new portraits to replace the grotesque caricatures being used for Arabs and Berbers.
You want portraits i just want an option for no facial hair at all.

But all serious we need more than one emperors cloths, it gets annoying if emperors where the same cloths as their predecessors.

To be fair the entire religion of islam and islamic world in the game should be reworked, heavily to made different and more accurate. Why da fuck are umayyads sayyids? Im serious why?

Wait crusades are getting reworked, does that mean jihads are changing?

Also when was the last time Muslims got a update developing them?
I feel their only three ways to play as a Muslims.
Balls to the walls jihadists waging holy war, using 40k morality to justify your actions.
Trying to create a harem of loads of women.
Or trying to go for the caliphate.

Theres little else as muslim you can do.

I see everyone's up to speed on the fact that Hellenism is going to get an overhaul. I can understand why people who want a more historically accurate game would be a bit pissed off by this move, but remember that few diaries back they also announced Shattered and Random Worlds: so Holy Fury will not just expand on Historical mechanics, it will also introduce more "gamey" features. Plus, to be fair, there are a faire number of checks and balances that seem to make the decision to convert to Hellenism hard or at least costly:
  • You can get the event to restore Hellenism if you restore the Roman Empire has a greek or an Italian. This is however a decision that's probably dangerous to take because most of your vassals most likely will revolt and if you lose that civil war, your heir will also lose the Empire if he's Hellenic. Also, taking the decision has a 15% chance of giving your character the trait "lunatic". So it's most likely a risky bet to wish to become the next Julian the Apostate.
  • The second decision is via the creation of a Secret Cult Society. That society doesn't exist at the start though and you need to meet rather strict requirements according to launch said event chain: you must be an Italian or Greek Christian, have your capital in Southern Europe, own one of the Hellenic Holy Sites and finally be interested in scholarly matters or insane. And even then, this only unlock a decision to delve into the classics: becoming an Hellenic worshipper is only one of the possible outcomes coming from that.
So it's most likely more added in as a fun challenge for experienced players who want to try something new. Plus, if you really think it's too ahistorical, they made the decision linked to Hellenism fall under a Game Rule: so you just have to turn it off if you don't like it, just like they did for Satanists or Aztec Invaders. Seems fair to me.

As for actual expansion of the Hellenistic Religion:
  • It's now reformable and will get access to the new Pagan Reformation system. They will start with the Haruspicy and Astrology Doctrines by default.
  • Hellenistic rulers do no longer have access to concubinage mechanics and can't use Pagan subjugations mechanics. Seems logical to me as I don't believe these were truly representative of the old Hellenic religion.
  • To compensate for the loss of the above, Hellenistic rulers now get access to events to Roman and Byzantine events that were previously restricted to Christians such as Chariot Races or Imperial Reconquests.
  • A new mechanic in the form of Temple Dedication: you can now choose to which God your Temples are dedicated. Depending on which God you choose, you get a different permanent boost in the holding's province. If the province is owned by a non-Hellenic ruler, the shrine won't disappear but it will become inactive.
  • Free access to the Hermetic society if you wish. Three other societies are available though they'll need to be recreated: the Stoics (Monastic order), the Bacchants (Satanists/Evil Worshippers) and finally the Olympian Champions (Warrior's Lodge).
  • Rank 4 members of the Stoicians don't convert a province's religion but it's culture, making it different from a Christian monastic society.
Also, while the Dev Diary mainly focused on Hellenism, there are also expansion to the old "Restore the Roman Empire" mechanics that have been announced:
  • There is now an option to "Burn" Rome so that you get rid of Temple holdings if you want to make it your capital of a Restored Roman Empire. Not sure if this is strictly restricted to Hellenistic rulers: flavor text in the screenshot seems to suggest so but the dev diary itself isn't that clear. Though it does say this will hurt Catholic Moral Authority and upset the local peasantry...
  • There will be a Roman Renaissance decision which will basically allow you to convert your character and provinces to Roman Culture. It seems to basically be the same as the Carolingian Renaissance Charlemagne gets to turn from Frankish to French except that it's done for the Roman Empire and grants you character Roman culture. You need though to have restored the Empire, have Rome as your capital, be of greek or italian culture and you can do so either as a Christian or an Hellenic worshipper.
What I sure know is that Holy Fury so far looks like it's got a crazy number of new content as far as I can judge. It looks to me that it's the biggest expansion Paradox has made to the game since it came out: even Sword of Islam or The Old Gods didn't seem to add as much content...

I think one of the other interesting things is that they unshackled the Rome and Byzantium decisions from LoR from being Christian and Emperor to just being Emperor and of the right culture I believe as part of the Hellenic rework. This also finally helps potentially someone who wants to play a Catholic or Islamic Rome for whatever reason you have in your timeline which is very fun.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next expansion goes back to the Middle East in general and helps add more content there, equally though if I recall correctly surveys consistently report back low (in proportion) players who play Islamic characters so I definitely understand why Paradox focuses on areas that are more likely to sell DLC and keep them afloat.

As for actual expansion of the Hellenistic Religion:
  • It's now reformable and will get access to the new Pagan Reformation system. They will start with the Haruspicy and Astrology Doctrines by default.
  • Hellenistic rulers do no longer have access to concubinage mechanics and can't use Pagan subjugations mechanics. Seems logical to me as I don't believe these were truly representative of the old Hellenic religion.
  • To compensate for the loss of the above, Hellenistic rulers now get access to events to Roman and Byzantine events that were previously restricted to Christians such as Chariot Races or Imperial Reconquests.
  • A new mechanic in the form of Temple Dedication: you can now choose to which God your Temples are dedicated. Depending on which God you choose, you get a different permanent boost in the holding's province. If the province is owned by a non-Hellenic ruler, the shrine won't disappear but it will become inactive.
  • Free access to the Hermetic society if you wish. Three other societies are available though they'll need to be recreated: the Stoics (Monastic order), the Bacchants (Satanists/Evil Worshippers) and finally the Olympian Champions (Warrior's Lodge).
  • Rank 4 members of the Stoicians don't convert a province's religion but it's culture, making it different from a Christian monastic society.
They also keep the advantages of Haruspicy and Astrology when reforming even if not selecting either, and their special doctrine, Civilized, combines the advantages of Meritocracy and Syncretism with Warmongering's 'raised vassal levies does not upset them' function.
There is now an option to "Burn" Rome so that you get rid of Temple holdings if you want to make it your capital of a Restored Roman Empire. Not sure if this is strictly restricted to Hellenistic rulers: flavor text in the screenshot seems to suggest so but the dev diary itself isn't that clear. Though it does say this will hurt Catholic Moral Authority and upset the local peasantry...
Dev comment make clear it's not just Hellenistic rulers (the flavour text varies by your religion), though it might otherwise be restricted to non-Catholic Christians, I don't recall exactly how the question-answer was phrased.

Dev comment make clear it's not just Hellenistic rulers (the flavour text varies by your religion), though it might otherwise be restricted to non-Catholic Christians, I don't recall exactly how the question-answer was phrased.

I believe its actually available to all rulers, its just something nigh-on-suicidal for Catholic rulers unless you really need those cities/baronies.

That was the impression I got from the dev responses further in the Plaza.

I believe its actually available to all rulers, its just something nigh-on-suicidal for Catholic rulers unless you really need those cities/baronies.

That was the impression I got from the dev responses further in the Plaza.
The page 20 Silfae answer is "Any non-Catholic Emperor can get that event." in response to a question if Lollards or Waldensians can do it, so it seems Catholics are out. Sounds like an Islamic Roman Empire can, though.

The page 20 Silfae answer is "Any non-Catholic Emperor can get that event." in response to a question if Lollards or Waldensians can do it, so it seems Catholics are out. Sounds like an Islamic Roman Empire can, though.

The "real" Paradoxian response is therefore to make your chaplain a heretic, convert, fire the decision and then switch back.

Like, it will only ever occur if the player chooses and historically there was the late Byzantine philosopher who appears to be the inspiration for the logic of the events. Gemistus Pletho I think?
Plethon's own summary of the Nómoi also survived, amongst manuscripts held by his former student Bessarion. This summary, titled Summary of the Doctrines of Zoroaster and Plato, affirms the existence of a pantheon of gods, with Zeus as supreme sovereign, containing within himself all being in an undivided state; his eldest child, motherless, is Poseidon, who created the heavens and rules all below, ordaining order in the universe. Zeus' other children include an array of "supercelestial" gods, the Olympians and Tartareans, all motherless. Of these Hera is third in command after Poseidon, creatress and ruler of indestructible matter, and the mother by Zeus of the heavenly gods, demi-gods and spirits. The Olympians rule immortal life in the heavens, the Tartareans mortal life below, their leader Kronos ruling over mortality altogether. The eldest of the heavenly gods is Helios, master of the heavens here and source of all mortal life on earth. The gods are responsible for much good and no evil, and guide all life towards divine order. Plethon describes the creation of the universe as being perfect and outside of time, so that the universe remains eternal, without beginning or end. The soul of man, like the gods is immortal and essentially good, and is reincarnated in successive mortal bodies for eternity at the direction of the gods.[14]
Ok, that is very very interesting, thank you for mentioning him.