Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Zealand, i guess.
This seems to be the case surprisingly often x) Well, what kind of damage is this Cold War doing on the rest of the world? How is life in the smaller states that orbit, but are on the fringes of, the major powers? Say, Uganda and Guatemala? Are they granted a fair degree of autonomy so long as they toe the line or are they milked for all they're worth?

m13yxcfsjal11.png

Europe in 1865, the Franco-German Alliance
This is a map of Europe in 1865 in my New Albion timeline (Previous maps in the timeline given at the bottom of this description). In this scenario, the Napoleonic Wars are prolonged for two years due to Spain and Portugal revolting later (Spain’s colonial empire is altered, possibly causing a different outcome). In 1848, the Prussian monarchy is deposed and replaced with a republic, because of Fredrick the Fourth not existing in this timeline (He brought about crucial reforms). The Second French Republic survives for years to come. In a span of two years from 1848-1850, Germany is unified with the exception of some states in Northwest Germany as the revolutions did not spread there nearly as much. France and Germany are allied in this timeline, as Austria and Britain are both against them. Between 1857 and 1862, the Italian Proxy War occurs, with France and Germany supporting Sardinia-Piedmont to remove Austria from Italy. The Kingdom of Italy after the war includes Tuscany, Northern Italy, and Trentino. Eventually tensions will rise between Britain and Austria against the Franco-German alliance culminating in the First World War, fought between 1894 and 1904. https://www.reddit.com/r/imaginarym...omain_of_british_columbia_now_independent_in/https://www.reddit.com/r/imaginarym...in_of_british_columbia_prior_to_independence/

This map is based on the "Specter and Spirit" timeline done by Serafim.
https://www.deviantart.com/sera-fim/art/Specter-and-Spirit-Europe-in-1960-722987844
This is the first work of our collaboration project. More stuff will come in the future.

specter_and_spirit__justice_for_all_by_comrade_emperor-dcmfzwn.png

How oppressive is Communism? Am I right in assuming that Varangism is more, or at least no less oppressive than Communism? Also, do Communist (or Varangist?) nations differ in how oppressive/authoritarian they are?

As we all know, Canada-wanks are all the rage these days, and while those are nice and dandy, I wanted to do something different, so I present FRENCH CANADA WANK
super quebec.png

hastily written backstory gooo!
In this world the French win the seven years war, but the war itself proves to be much more of a financial burden, and needless to say the royal family goes tax crazy, french people get mad, french people rise up. Luckily for the Bourbons, they had a nice, peaceful, and (mostly) loyal set of colonies one ocean away and manage to successfully flee there, where they set up shop in Quebec City and declare the colonies the Kingdom of Canada. after that they move west, have some border disputes, patch up their relationship with France, and the rest is history.
Dark colored lands are territories with a large enough population to be allowed to form a local government, but not enough to be a full province.
pale colored lands are territories which lack a large enough population to be allowed a local government.

Last edited:
m13yxcfsjal11.png

This is a map of Europe in 1865 in my New Albion timeline (Previous maps in the timeline given at the bottom of this description). In this scenario, the Napoleonic Wars are prolonged for two years due to Spain and Portugal revolting later (Spain’s colonial empire is altered, possibly causing a different outcome). In 1848, the Prussian monarchy is deposed and replaced with a republic, because of Fredrick the Fourth not existing in this timeline (He brought about crucial reforms). The Second French Republic survives for years to come. In a span of two years from 1848-1850, Germany is unified with the exception of some states in Northwest Germany as the revolutions did not spread there nearly as much. France and Germany are allied in this timeline, as Austria and Britain are both against them. Between 1857 and 1862, the Italian Proxy War occurs, with France and Germany supporting Sardinia-Piedmont to remove Austria from Italy. The Kingdom of Italy after the war includes Tuscany, Northern Italy, and Trentino. Eventually tensions will rise between Britain and Austria against the Franco-German alliance culminating in the First World War, fought between 1894 and 1904. https://www.reddit.com/r/imaginarym...omain_of_british_columbia_now_independent_in/https://www.reddit.com/r/imaginarym...in_of_british_columbia_prior_to_independence/
I have to say, I'm really starting to like this timeline. Not only are the graphics great but the scenario's interesting as well. Have you ever considered starting a thread akin to Our Fair Country or Failure of the House of Brandenburg? If so, you'd automatically get a subscription from me.

I have to say, I'm really starting to like this timeline. Not only are the graphics great but the scenario's interesting as well. Have you ever considered starting a thread akin to Our Fair Country or Failure of the House of Brandenburg? If so, you'd automatically get a subscription from me.
Thank you very much! I may start a thread for the development of this timeline. I have started a discord server for the development of the timeline (It's more for updates of the status of the timeline).

You've Got a Friend in Me
Or how in one strock of the pen, half the world is still at war against the nazis

FBU.png
In 1940, President Albert Lebrun propose the Franco-British union to his cabinet, without much hope, but, to his surprise, a majority of vote in favor of it. While Churchill is skeptical, his cabinet, still in shock from the defeat on the continent, urge him (and convince him) to accept, be only to insure that the French colonies dont fall in the hand of Nazi Germany. The next day, the government, the french gold reserve and every volunteers are ferried to North Africa. France, in joint union with Britain, will continue the fight from abroad.

Last edited:
Independent Oldenburg?
sign me the fuck up

Civil War in Post-Russian Antarctica (1925)
HrsXkLi.png

The base map was created by @Gian, and used with their permission.
The timeline this map is based in is Devon Moore's The Great White South, and can be found here at Alternative History Wikia.
None of the writing and graphics I post in relation to the Great White South are canonical, but do have his approval to be posted.
Antarctica is quiet once again, though calling it peace is a stretch. Allied forces and the KLA negotiated a ceasefire in Yuzhnaya Zemlya, feeling confident now that it's received supplies and promises from Moscow again. In the East it's less amenable, while nationalist forces are mere days away from "liberating" Novopetrograd, they are also very aware they continue to exist at the convenience of London. A peace conference is in preparation to be held once the Provisional Governorates' are finally gone.

Notes:
1) At least for now, further civil unrest has been absent. The People's Assembly has elected to accept aid and support from Moscow, but doesn't like increasingly aggressive requests for a motion on annexation to the Soviet Union
2) Allied forces are almost gone from Antarctica, save the British. Having reorganized it's biggest occupation zone into a republic (largely as a place to dump remaining volunteer units from Antarctic Russians). Needless to say the British do not feel like letting go of their islands on the coast
3) The biggest elephant in the room, London has made it clear they're not going to hand New Vestford to the NFS, hoping the goodwill from not assisting or evacuating Novopetrograd will keep Nationalists cooperative at the coming peace conference

Treaty of Novopetrograd
XKH929h.png

The Treaty of Novopetrograd was largely a formalization of what was already the reality on the ground. The former Russian Oblasts of Yuzhnaya Zemlya and Krannkush were broke up into 4 independent states, one uncomfortably close to the new Soviet Union, one other harshly xenophobic and isolationist, and the two others hoping to be so valuable to the Allies to warrant protection from former. Eastern Antarctica was notably more whole. The newly organized United Governorates of Bellinsgauzenia is far too preoccupied with rebuilding to spend time smoldering with anger at the lands stolen by the British.

Below 60 Degrees South...
Russian Civil War in Antarctica (1918)
Russian Civil War in Antarctica (1919)
Civil War in Post-Russian Antarctica (1920)
Civil War in Post-Russian Antarctica (1921)
Civil War in Post-Russian Antarctica (1923)
Civil War in Post-Russian Antarctica (1925) & The Treaty of Novopetrograd (1925) (you are here)
~
Thank you to all who enjoyed this map series! While this bird's-eye view of the Russian Civil War in Antarctica is over, there's a lot more of this world I have in store. If you're interested to see what's to come check out the
Below 60 Degrees South... thread!

Crossposting from the MotF thread. This definitely ranks up there as one of the darker scenarios I've done.

Ordensstaat Gotenland

Ordensstaat Gotenland is the manifestation of the Schutzstaffel's (SS) desire to acquire territory to govern for itself. Himmler, the first head of the Schutzstaffel, originally had designs of having much of eastern France (Historic Burgundy) to be put under the SS control as the "Order State of Burgundy", but this plan was largely ignored by Hitler during the Second World War, and then outright rejected after Germany had secured hegemony over Continental Europe. While initially, a close ally of Hitler, the ambitious Himmler was increasingly viewed as a threat by an increasingly paranoid and demented Hitler. So much so, in fact, that Himmler would be eventually executed on December 8th, 1948, in one of Hitler's last purges (Hitler himself would die of cardiac failure just a few weeks later).

However, the idea of a Schutzstaffel-led "order state" would not die with Himmler, as many within the organization still desired territory to govern themselves. The Schutzstaffel would get their opportunity to put their vision into reality, shortly after Hitler's death. Hitler's death left a power vaccum, and the Schutzstaffel was largely uninvolved in the armed struggle that led to a junta of Heer generals assuming control of Germany in early 1949. The new junta offered Crimea (still under military occupation) to the Schutzstaffel. Multiple motivations have been put forward for this offer (from wanting to marginalize the influence of the SS in Berlin by having their energies focused in the east, to simply wanting a place to dump the people who even many Nazis considered to be extreme away from Germany proper) - but what remains important is that the SS assume control of the Peninsula on January 1st, 1950 - and began to create their new state.

The Schutzstaffel quickly went to work deporting the remaining non-German population of Crimea that had managed to survive the devastation of the Second World War. In their place were brought volksdeutche from South Tyrol (who were said to be descendants of the Goths), and the surviving Volga and Crimean Germans (who had been deported to central Asia by Soviet Authorities in 1941). These settlers were significantly augmented by Schutzstaffel retirees, the families of those still in active duty within the paramilitary organization, and some of the most extreme Nazi ideologues. Within a decade, Crimea was thoroughly Germanized - and ready to be turned into a model society along the precepts of the perverted Nazi ideology. When the Greater Germanic Reich collapsed at the end of the cold war, the SS managed to seize control of the few German Nuclear weapons stationed in Crimea - assuring their state's protection from foreign invasion, in spite of its complete Pariah status in the eyes of the rest of the world.

The SS has continued to rule Crimea to this day - defying international expectations of state collapse. While the people of Ordensstaat Gotenland are viewed by the rest of the world as an impoverished and racist backwater - the residents of the Ordensstaat believe they are living in paradise. Perhaps it is due in part to the self-selection of German colonists who chose to make Crimea their home. Perhaps the Schutzstaffel's propaganda apparatus has been extremely effective. Perhaps all dissidents have been liquidated by this point. Or perhaps something far more sinister is at work in Gotenland...

ordensstaat_gotenland_by_reagentah-dcmhmb4.png

Last edited:
m13yxcfsjal11.png

If I may suggest something, I don't think it makes sense for Italy to lose TTL Savoy or Nice/Nizza. OTL, it was the price to pay for French support, but if TTL Italy is supported by both, then the Sardinians would be less likely to lose anything (especially Nice, which they did consider far more Italian than French-speaking Savoy).

If I may suggest something, I don't think it makes sense for Italy to lose TTL Savoy or Nice/Nizza. OTL, it was the price to pay for French support, but if TTL Italy is supported by both, then the Sardinians would be less likely to lose anything (especially Nice, which they did consider far more Italian than French-speaking Savoy).
Plus, the Italian border looks neat with Nice and Savoy, and flash borders are a solid third of what cartography is about.

You've Got a Friend in Me
Or how in one strock of the pen, half the world is still at war against the nazis

View attachment 407388
In 1940, President Albert Lebrun propose the Franco-British union to his cabinet, without much hope, but, to his surprise, a majority of vote in favor of it. While Churchill is skeptical, his cabinet, still in shock from the defeat on the continent, urge him (and convince him) to accept, be only to insure that the French colonies dont fall in the hand of Nazi Germany. The next day, the government, the french gold reserve and every volunteers are ferried to North Africa. France, in joint union with Britain, will continue the fight from abroad.
A few things you might want to look into. I believe that the Channel Islands would have been occupied by the Germans in a short period of time, as IOTL the British evacuated their forces from there, seeing them as a lost cause. You also have all of France as being occupied, and that area in the north being administratively attached to Belgium quicker than what happened IOTL. Suppose it depends on what date the map is. I find it odd there wouldn't be a Vichy sort of thing in this world, especially as this Union would have played into the mindset of Hitler (who always assumed the British would jump on French colonies and that the Americans would do it to Canada eventually) and German propaganda, allowing them to say the government fled the country with as much cash as they could carry, using taking that as payment from English Plutocrats, Jewish bankers, etc etc standard Nazi propoganda. Also some minor things like pink not being changed in some Western Africa, and the Vichy grey in South China Sea islands not being changed. For this world do you see the Unoin as continuing? I am wondering how they would handle the differing law codes. Suppose it is fortunate for some there would be martial law in most of the colonies, so they had a few years to decide how to make it all work. Wait, just realized something. Italy has annexed Monaco and Nice, while Corsica is a light grey color. Is that we're the Vichy analogue was kept? Germany is going to have a rough time, if they can't have the French government do all the tax collecting, public order, mass arrests, mass conscription for labor, massive occupation fees, etc. Planning on a sequel? Wondering if you could get it to where Stalin is right, with both sides bleeding out.

Red and not dead.

Japan.jpg

The Empire of Japan June 1955 - Present day.

korea.png

Korean Peninsula after the Korean war.

POD:
Franklin Roosevelt lives till Christman 1945.

After using nuclear bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki Japan Surrendered. As fellow victors the USSR where allowed to occupy Japan north of the 38th parallel. The Soviet set up the Japanese Democratic Peoples Republic (JDPR), led by the 1st premier Sanzō Nosaka. Sendai was made the republic's capital. In addition to controlling everything north of the 38th parallel, the Soviets would give their new client state the Northern portion of Sakhalin Island. The occupation lasted until 1948 when the 16th Army withdrew. During the late forties, Imperial Japan deported many communist and those accused of holding communist sympathies and also Koreans in the south to the JDPR. Nosaka's reign was characterized as Stalinesque. He purged many of his supposed enemies, putting them in prison and took steps to make sure the army only answered to him and that he was the state and his will the law.

On June 25th, 1950, North Korea invaded its Southern counterpart, and the first war between the 1st and 2nd world started. To everyone surprise, Nosaka decided to split from his Soviet overlords. During the early hours of July 1st, 1950, Nosaka ordered the arrest of all Soviet citizens within his country calling them enemies of the people.

The shock of Nosaka's action led the Soviets to plan an invasion, and the Soviets 25th was spotted on the other side the Straits of Tartary this would lead to the North-South rapprochement and both Japans entered the war against the North Koreans. Not wanting a direct war with the USA, the Soviets pulled back but sent increased aid to their satellite.

JDPR kept much of their military at home but sent 30000 men to fight in the peninsula along with money and materials, the South Japanese, on the other hand, sent 300000 men to the peninsula over the course of the war. The war would rage for over 4 years, despite the Communist Chinese entry into the war, The UN coalition managed to push back the communists, and on January 18th, 1955 and ceasefire was agreed upon. The Korean war turned cold and while no peace treaty has been signed general peace stands, and the border between both nations is the most heavily militarised in the world.

The South Koreans and gained territory and most importantly took and kept Pyongyang. the agreed-upon border from the ceasefire was the stagnant front, going from Anju south of the river Chongchon to the Taedong River, up the Taedong till Yonggwang, then to Hamhung then to Samho until the sea of Japan.

The war had a huge impact on the Japans, US investment in both countries saw a huge economic boom during and after the war. Also, Nosaka Democratised the country and Liberalised the economy while keeping socialized education, healthcare, maternity and welfare programs, transitioning from a communist dictatorship to a social democracy. In the end, this would come to an end on April 1955, when the North Japanese were given the choice between continues independence or reunification with their southern brethren in a referendum. 99.97% of North Japanese voted for reunification and Nosaka stepped down and Premier and retired from politics. After reunification, a new constitution was written incorporating many of Nosaka's social programs. While the Soviets made many complaints about the whole affair and demanded that a unified Japan be demilitarised, they were mostly ignored by their western counterparts.

The Japanese affair which it has come to be known as in the former USSR and her satellites had a lasting effect. When the Hungarian Revolution started in 1956, the USSR responded heavy-handedly setting the precedent. The Soviets tightened their grip on the Warsaw pact, starting a near 4 decade-long campaign of fear and surveillance never seen before until it collapsed.

Today Japan is a nation of 151 million people. It has the second largest economy in the world, 4th most powerful country in military capability. The 20th Century for Japan had seen it rise, fall and its ultimate rebirth into one of the most technologically advanced and envied nations in the world.

Korea has also done very well for itself, after the war and many military coups, the country finally got on its feet and emulated its eastern neighbor in success. It has a population of 62 million, 10th largest economy, 3rd largest and 5th most capable military in the world.

The Korean had a huge impact on the USA, it helped united the public against the red threat, but it also changed the way they viewed communists. The Japanese affair showed the US public that communist states can be turned into democracies if approached right. It also led to the stereotype that every communist leader could be bought out for a good price if the Soviet influence in a nation was low enough.

Thoughts?

Source
Japan map:
found here: https://twitter.com/i/web/status/858662779028471809
and here: http://tamenal.com/18721
Korea map: https://apjjf.org/-Chung-in-Moon/3333/article.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.