Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crossposting my MotF entry

The Imperial provinces of Valenwood and Elsweyr have never co-existed peacefully. Since the crisis of the Simulacrum, however, the homelands of the Bosmer and Khajiit have found themselves more at odds than ever. During Uriel VII's absence and imprisonment, the provinces warred amongst themselves. The Five Year War, fought between 395-399 of the Third Era, saw some of the most brutal fighting of this turmoil-filled time. Without direction from White-Gold Tower, the Legions stood by as wood elf and Khajiit slaughtered each other mercilessly in the arid wastes, razor-sharp mountains, and dense forests of the two southern provinces' mutual border.

Valenwood was accused of starting the war in early 395, when a party of Bosmer crossed the border and sacked the Khajiit capital of Torval. After several failed attempts at a response by the beleaguered Khajiit army (which had not seen battle of a significant kind since the conquests of Tiber Septim nearly four centuries prior), Valenwood's troops seemed poised to seize a great deal of the Tenmar Forests and controlled outright the plains and deserts of the western No-Quin-Al. Desperate for a reprieve, Elsweyr successfully negotiated a temporary truce, but broke it very shortly thereafter and fell upon the undefended village of Athay on the western side of the Xylo River, slaughtering hundreds of civilians. After the nearby town of Grenos was sacked as well, the tide of war had changed entirely; Khajiit forces - dispersed and loosely organized, yet no less effective - threatened even Valenwood's northern stronghold of Arenthia. With their forces scattered, the Bosmer of Vindisi, the only town standing between Arenthia and Elsweyr's armies, made the ultimate sacrifice, channeling the mythical Wild Hunt to repel the invaders. Consumed by bestial and arcane forces, they transformed into beasts larger and more powerful than even the strongest Senche-Raht of Anequina. Although Vindisi stopped the Khajiit in their tracks, its people did not recover.

Both nations, traumatized by unprecedented ferocity of fighting and dishonorable conduct by both sides, agreed to a truce in 3E 399. The Silvenar and other leaders of Valenwood (which had lost its southern islands and seen the vital port of Woodhearth destroyed in the concurrent War of the Blue Divide with Summerset), considered themselves lucky to only cede Athay, Grenos, and the west bank of the Xylo to Elsweyr, with some minor border adjustments in the south. Elsweyr, for its part, was only kept politically intact for the duration of the war by the calming influence of the Mane, the nation's spiritual leader. After the conclusion of the war and the restoration of Uriel VII to his throne, the kingdoms of Anequina and Pelletine again became fragmented in an unofficial sense, with much tension centered on the border town (and vital oasis) of Rabi-Ajo.

Qpvq69s.jpg

Last edited:
Here it is, without further ado, Longue vie à l'empereur!

The state of the world 1916, before the outbreak of the Great War:

Ok, this took a long time. I basically put out this entire day just to write this up and develop lore for basically every nation. This is my first map and anything like this, so please give constructive criticism. Thanks for reading! Also, questions are welcome, I have some idea of how every country is functioning.

Edit: Shoot, shoulda put Brazil as a notable neutral.

Great! Now I'm waiting for the Great War.

I changed the borders in Africa & America and I'm quite satisfied with this version. It's my first complete WordA map, I named it "Napoleon's Age of Empires" lol.
Damn, now I do not need to make my map of Europe dominate by Nappy and Habsburgs :D
Basically "three-sided cold war" scenario? Russia vs Europe vs UK?

I don't usually like posting WIPs, but whatever...

So, I got started on making that Brave New World map that I mentioned a while ago. Thing is, the World State in it is supposedly split between 10 "World Controllers" with West Europe being the only known one, so I googled 'the world divided into 10 regions' or something like that and used what I found there as inspiration... except I couldn't decide on just one. So I made 5 different potential subdivisions for the BNW World State and I'm going to show them off here in the hopes of getting some feedback.

1. Loosely based off of this map that I don't really know the origins of, I also used the 1932 (year Brave New World was published) borders as something of a guide.
zp0TsHs.png

2. This one is based off of the infamous Gomberg map
LDIdUIs.png

3. This one was more based off of this map
traawZy.png

4. This one is loosely based off of the Club of Rome map
s8RZDqK.png

5. This last one is kind of sort of based off of this map
R4odRix.png

So, um, yeah. Any opinions?

Damn, now I do not need to make my map of Europe dominate by Nappy and Habsburgs :D
Basically "three-sided cold war" scenario? Russia vs Europe vs UK?

Yep, it's a three-sided cold war, though it's more like 2 opposing sides and 1 non-aligned faction:

- Franco-Spanish Alliance: they don't control a lot of territories like the other side but are more powerful economically and militarily. Other members include Denmark-Norway, the Netherlands, Germany, Italy, Poland, Japan, the United States.

- Anglo-Russian Coalition: together they occupy the largest land area in the world and pose the main threat to Napoleonic France. However, their own fierce colonial race divides them somewhat. Other members include: Portugal, the Confederate States, the Pacific States, the FRCA, La Plata, Romania, Persia.

- Austro-Sicilian System: they are more like the Non-Aligned Movement of OTL Cold War but more economically and politically connected. Other members include: Sweden, Prussia, Venice, Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro, Greece, Levantine, Egypt, Ethiopia, Siam.

- Other neutral states: Switzerland, Bulgaria, Turkey, China, Gran Columbia, Venezuela, Peru, Afghanistan.

Honestly I didn't think much about the details but basically a saner Napoleon stopped after TTL Second Coalition. He appealed to Austria and Russia by promising to give them a free hand in the Middle East so the Ottoman got dismantled by their combined might. Austria is wanked crazily in this, thanks to Napoleon being more lenient on them while punishing Prussia severely (which made Prussia more dependent on Austria). Spain was not backstabbed by France in TTL so they still remained powerful despite the loss of South American colonies. Meanwhile the FRCA got itself together due to the fear of Spanish reconquest. Russia expanded non-stop until they got kicked hard by a reformed Japan aided by France. This forced them to reconcile with their main colonial enemy Britain who never stops dreaming of overthrowing France.

P/S: again please pardon the unrealistic parts.

Last edited:
I don't usually like posting WIPs, but whatever...

So, I got started on making that Brave New World map that I mentioned a while ago. Thing is, the World State in it is supposedly split between 10 "World Controllers" with West Europe being the only known one, so I googled 'the world divided into 10 regions' or something like that and used what I found there as inspiration... except I couldn't decide on just one. So I made 5 different potential subdivisions for the BNW World State and I'm going to show them off here in the hopes of getting some feedback.

I prefer 1 for Europe & North America and 2 for the rest.

Skallagrim

Banned

I like the third map, based on that 'regional groupings' map. I sort of assume, although it's not very clear, that North Africa and, ah, "Turko-Arabia" (for lack of a better name) are one region, and that Australia and New Zealand are their own region, apart from South-East Asia? It would make the most sense that way, I think.

Please give me the story behind that Belarusian* state
Polotsk is just a rather normal, vaguely Belarusian Rurikid successor state that converted to Catholicism after the Sack of Constantinople and the Humbling of the Byzantines. The nation expanding into Siberia is Georgia, and I'll write a section on it if and when I do a write up.

Polotsk is just a rather normal, vaguely Belarusian Rurikid successor state that converted to Catholicism after the Sack of Constantinople and the Humbling of the Byzantines. The nation expanding into Siberia is Georgia, and I'll write a section on it if and when I do a write up.
You've made me endlessly happy today, thank you.

Wow. At this juncture, should we ask: can there be such a thing as TOO MUCH GEORGIA?

This map should be fairly self-explanatory. The only thing that might need clarifying is that the POD is that the Albigensian crusade is never called, leading to a surviving Cathar movement, which later spawns a wider Neo-Gnostic movement that is popular throughout Germany and Saxony, and in parts of France, Provence, Aquitaine, and Sicily. Oh, and Arabia is a massive state stretching from Mauretania to the Persian Gulf, comprising most of the Arabic-speaking world, except for the Christian regions that became independent shortly after Arabia's independence from Japan.

the_french_civil_war__alternate_history__by_mirandabrawner-dccgkrv.png

This map should be fairly self-explanatory. The only thing that might need clarifying is that the POD is that the Albigensian crusade is never called, leading to a surviving Cathar movement, which later spawns a wider Neo-Gnostic movement that is popular throughout Germany and Saxony, and in parts of France, Provence, Aquitaine, and Sicily. Oh, and Arabia is a massive state stretching from Mauretania to the Persian Gulf, comprising most of the Arabic-speaking world, except for the Christian regions that became independent shortly after Arabia's independence from Japan.

That was clever, I spent a few minutes tracking down all of the analogies.:biggrin: I assume Arabia is India? Since Japan is clearly Britain, and it doesn't quite fit America (United States of Arabia?) The ODIN acronym was nice.

This is brilliant. I love how you transplanted borders and concept from the modern Near East in Europe, plus it's generally just super crisp. Great job!

Status
Not open for further replies.