What if all countries had to use flags with canton and stripes ?

Maybe you could have stripes with the pattern (not just in the bottom though, all over) and have something else in the canton? The red and green really clash.

I tried that but I didn't like the effect that pattern created as you move your head to look at it.

belarus-c&s2.png

And yet, they are still better looking than most US state flags.

Actually - WI: All US states had to use flags with cantons and stripes?

that could actually be something that could have possibly occured: the states' army units using regimental colours that are simply the national flags with the unit's distinguishing feature being some device in the canton. As the army expend, more freedom would be taken in designing regimental colours with, for example, some using inverted colours (red canton, blue/white stripes). Eventually you would see some unit's colours being adopted as state flags and by that time it would have become so ingrained to have a state flag being a C&S that even states carved out of territories, which might not have an historical use of regimental C&S, would adopt something that follow this pattern.

and some criticisms are constructive.
I thought that the point of these threads was to produce interesting, potentially improved flags. Some motifs don't work in a canton-and-stripes motif. A sincere effort for Belarus, for example, would rely on the old fla, which could be more readily adapted to this format.
And quite a few flags in the real world are, your point?
I thought we were making better flags.
So are the real ones.
Indeed.
And yet, they are still better looking than most US state flags.

Actually - WI: All US states had to use flags with cantons and stripes?
VT's old flag and HI's current flag make the cut.

I thought that the point of these threads was to produce interesting, potentially improved flags. Some motifs don't work in a canton-and-stripes motif.

Having the entire world follow the same basic template would make it pretty impossible to have all of them being interesting and improved. While good design is obvious something that people keep in mind, the main point of this and other similar thread is simply a challenge to make somewhat recognisable national flags all based on the same pattern. If your interest is in good flag design in general, you might prefer a thread such as "Flag Thread IV"

A sincere effort for Belarus, for example, would rely on the old fla, which could be more readily adapted to this format.

If you mean the white/red/white rather then the soviet one which was nearly identical to the current flag, slapping a canton on something that already has 3 stripes would be fairly boring to me and lacking in challenge.

I thought we were making better flags.

feel free to contribute any design. Despite the number of flags I've posted so far in this thread, it is meant to be open to all.

Scotland and England. OTL flags in the cantons, obviously (yes, boring, I know - sorry). The stripes are based on the colours from the respective royal standards (lion rampant and the three leopards). Fortuitously, the number of stripes for the Scottish one gives the number of mormaors in the 11th/12th centuries, whilst the number of stripes for England can be taken to represent the seven kingdoms of the heptarchy.

Scotland_1.png

England_1.png

I get your point, but the real solid advice to flagmakers of the world is not to try to make every flag into a canton and stripe format. You've done a great job given the task.

not trying to do that in a thread whose title is exactly "What if all countries had to use flags with canton and stripes ?" would seem like the person is missing the point a wee bit.