What if all countries had to use flags with canton and stripes ?

East Timor. the 3 stripes recalls the 3 words of the national motto "Unity, Action, Progress"

east-timor-c&s.png

lithuania. the stripes represent the 10 counties and in the canton are the Columns of Gediminas, a national emblem dating back to medieval times.

lithu-c&s.png

latvia. the white stripes represents the 5 historical regions which comprise modern day latvia. The number of of stars in canton repeat this with the sunburst below, taken from the arms, was used by latvian troops in russian service, many of which later served during the war for independence.

latv-c&s.png

France is a difficult one to do because the OTL vertical stripes are just so distinctive. I think I prefer the flag of @The Professor (to that of @Marc Pasquin earlier in the thread) as a flag but it doesn't actually look much like a canton-plus-stripes.

ps please don't take my comment just as blunt criticism - I have literally no idea how I'd do France with a C+S design, so I'm impressed that you both managed something!

France is a difficult one to do because the OTL vertical stripes are just so distinctive. I think I prefer the flag of @The Professor (to that of @Marc Pasquin earlier in the thread) as a flag but it doesn't actually look much like a canton-plus-stripes.

ps please don't take my comment just as blunt criticism - I have literally no idea how I'd do France with a C+S design, so I'm impressed that you both managed something!
As you say France is very very difficult to do c&s!

"and a black star in the [canton] representing the freedom of Africa"

The design looks good but considering there's 2 stars displayed, the country is in the Caribbean and according to wikipedia the largest ethnic group identify with its south-asian ancestry, I feel like I may be misunderstanding something.