Status
Not open for further replies.
What struck out at me the most for some reason was Austria holding the Bohemian Forest Region and German South Moravia still. Also looks like Germany retained Danzig.

As the Austro-Hungarian Empire fell apart after the end of the Great War, the Habsburgs desperately attempted to hold everything together. The land they were forced to cede to Serbia (Dalmatia, Croatia-Slavonia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and land belonging to Hungary) caused the Hungarians to become increasingly unhappy with being in the now discredited Empire, and seceded from Austria-Hungary shortly after peace was signed. The Czechs and the Slovaks were also unhappy with their arrangement, and they came to an agreement with Vienna, German-speaking areas in southern Bohemia and Moravia would be ceded to Austria proper, in exchange for assistance in securing independence for a union state of Czechoslovakia, something that the Habsburg leadership refused at the peace talks with the Allied powers. Eager to see one of their peace goals become reality, both France and the United Kingdom agreed to support both Austria and Czechoslovakia, and both fought a brief war with Hungary, who attempted to maintain control over the Slovak-speaking areas.

After Emperor Charles I was assassinated in 1921, the 9 year old Crown Prince Otto became the last Emperor of Austria-Hungary, as the country dissolved to form the Republic of Austria in 1924, retaining control of German Bohemia-Moravia, Carinthia, Carniola, Küstenland, Lower Austria, Salzburg, Styria, Tyrol, Upper Austria, and Vorarlberg, which today make up the states of Austria.

Danzig, which had previously been a League of Nations Mandate (the only to be cleaved off of Germany during the Great War), was dissolved and annexed to Germany by mutual agreement of the Democratic Republic of Poland, Germany, and France in 1961.

Ho did India stay together in this timeline again>?

Since there was no World War II, the British Empire never truly became broke, and doubled down on India between the 1920s and 1950s, seeking to maintain her control over the Empire. After it was becoming increasingly clear that control of India was no longer feasible without a massive expenditure of treasury and lives, the British opened up talks with the Indian National Congress, which paved the way for Indian independence under terms first outlined in the Government of India Act, 1935 which called for a united India. The British were able to ensure religious protections for the Muslim minority, but other than that were resigned to the fact that India was leaving. The Republic of India was proclaimed on 1 January 1955, after the handover of administration was approved by Queen Elizabeth II, Viceroy Mountbatten, and Prime Minister Anthony Eden.

Since there was no World War II, the British Empire never truly became broke, and doubled down on India between the 1920s and 1950s, seeking to maintain her control over the Empire. After it was becoming increasingly clear that control of India was no longer feasible without a massive expenditure of treasury and lives, the British opened up talks with the Indian National Congress, which paved the way for Indian independence under terms first outlined in the Government of India Act, 1935 which called for a united India. The British were able to ensure religious protections for the Muslim minority, but other than that were resigned to the fact that India was leaving. The Republic of India was proclaimed on 1 January 1955, after the handover of administration was approved by Queen Elizabeth II, Viceroy Mountbatten, and Prime Minister Anthony Eden.

I could see that staying for a while, but by modern day, unless there has being some serious unity between muslims and hindus on the sub continent, i wouldnt see it lasting to today. Its political history must be imrpessive to maintain the cohesion between the various factors.

I could see that staying for a while, but by modern day, unless there has being some serious unity between muslims and hindus on the sub continent, i wouldnt see it lasting to today. Its political history must be imrpessive to maintain the cohesion between the various factors.

No one said India was a stable country, or a peaceful one. There's a ton of issues between the two sides, I don't envision India being a beacon of prosperity either. I've yet to do a ton of research on the subject, so if anyone wants to explore this part of Our Fair Country I would love to have them do so!

No one said India was a stable country, or a peaceful one. There's a ton of issues between the two sides, I don't envision India being a beacon of prosperity either. I've yet to do a ton of research on the subject, so if anyone wants to explore this part of Our Fair Country I would love to have them do so!
This has perked my interest.

What happened to the Kennedys ITTL (assuming they still exist)...

The Kennedy family is one of New England's great political families, well known for dominating southern New England politics, as well as achieving very high positions in federal politics. John F. Kennedy (1962-1969) was Prime Minister, his brother Robert was Minister of Justice (1962-1969), and their brother Edward was known as the "Lion of Massachusetts Bay," serving a combined 34 years as the provinces Premier. All three men's father, Joseph, worked in finance and business, and was briefly the Mayor of Boston. Today, children of all three men serve in positions across the political field, with Ted Kennedy, Jr. serving as Minister of Labour & Employment. Robert F. Kennedy Jr. serves as the MP for Jamaica South, Joe Kennedy III is the MP for Southampton, and Patrick J. Kennedy is the MP for Newport. Previously, Caroline Kennedy, daughter of the former Prime Minister, served as the Minister of Fisheries, before declining to stand for re-election in 2016.

This has perked my interest.

Great! If you want to take a swing at it, go ahead!

The only guidelines I have is that:

A) Britain must release a united India.
B) India leaves the Commonwealth rapidly.
C) India should remain unified, but if a compelling history is written where some Muslim areas gain independence, and as what, I would accept it and modify the timeline.
D) India and China (RoC) have fought a couple minor wars, and despise each other.
E) India is very, very poor. Maybe 60% the OTL GDP, could be less.
F) There's been many famines since independence.

I wouldn't mind it as a storybook, graphic format, or just a bulleted timeline! I really don't know much about Indian history, so I really punt on this region a lot. But if I get some actual stuff, I could begin to make boxes and maybe an article on it!

Is that a communist Turkey?

Nope. It's a republican Turkey. I might have selected the wrong colour, but it is very much not communist. The only communist countries remaining in Europe are Albania and the Soviet Union.

Amazing work, this timeline is shaping up to one of my favourites.
How are Commonwealth elections done, is it similar to the European Union system, and might be see a wikibox of the most recent election in the near future?
Is there full freedom of movement?
Are any nations interested in joining the organisation?
Is the Queen is titled Head of the Commonwealth, or given was another used?
And, I know you mentioned a party that wants to move to a federal Commonwealth, exactly how popular is this idea?
Keep up the great work. I, for one, can't wait to see more.

Amazing work, this timeline is shaping up to one of my favourites.
How are Commonwealth elections done, is it similar to the European Union system, and might be see a wikibox of the most recent election in the near future?
Is there full freedom of movement?
Are any nations interested in joining the organisation?
Is the Queen is titled Head of the Commonwealth, or given was another used?
And, I know you mentioned a party that wants to move to a federal Commonwealth, exactly how popular is this idea?
Keep up the great work. I, for one, can't wait to see more.

I've actually been working on the commonwealth election wikibox for a couple days already! So that's forthcoming.

Commonwealth elections are done using multi-member constituencies. It is up to each country as to how they wish to accomplish this, some countries like Ceylon elect all MCPs on a country-wide basis, while Australia allocates MCPs according to each state.

There are no limits to movement within the Commonwealth, and all one has to do at any border agency is present an identifying document (Passport, Operator's License, National ID card, ect) and you will be allowed entry. Some members elect to impose immigration restrictions, which limits the length you can stay. The shortest is Australia, which limits stays to 6 months, and the longest is New England with five years. While many countries do have stay limits, all but Australia's and Sierra Leone's are long enough to be eligible for permanent residency status. Other countries simply allow free immigration, like the United Kingdom, which allows any Commonwealth citizen to live and work in Britain, much like the EU.

The Progressive Conservatives in Canada wish to re-join the Commonwealth despite the conflict in Burma. Given Britain's symbolic head of the organisation, few countries are willing to essentially subvert their sovereignty to the United Kingdom (this is not legally what happens, but it is the perception of the Commonwealth).

Queen Elizabeth II's official title is Empress Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth of Nations in her function as the leader of the Commonwealth. The position was created for her by mutual agreement of all Commonwealth members after she lost the Empress of India title upon India becoming a Republic.

Recent polls are mixed for federation into a superstate. It runs as high as 40% in the United Kingdom (on the assumption they will simply reabsorb much of the Empire) to as low as 2% in places like Namibia and Sierra Leone, which are always weary of heavy-handed approaches and severely hurting after Nigeria left, decimating the strong African Bloc in the Commonwealth Parliament.

What is up with Donegal????
Was there another Plantation?

The famine had decimated County Donegal, reducing its population to under 200,000 by the 1860s. It's relatively unpopulated nature meant that the British were far more acceptable of placing it within Northern Ireland during the division process. During the Irish War of Independence, the British Army occupied County Monaghan, and were responsible for deporting thousands of Catholics south to try and ensure they maintained control of it.

Well, they could've just retained control of the county during the Partition (as were Fermanagh, Tyrone, and Derry) to maintain control of the strategic "treaty ports" of Lough Foyle and Lough Swilly.

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_Ports_(Ireland)

This was also an important factor.

Bulgaria and Ulster are also looking slightly more plump.

Algeria is still part of the metropole, and is that Libya in Italian green? I note that the canal zone appears to have been nationalised, which makes me immensely curious as to what has occurred in North Africa and the Middle East in a world where Empire wasn't so suddenly struck dead.

Bulgaria and Ulster are also looking slightly more plump.

Algeria is still part of the metropole, and is that Libya in Italian green? I note that the canal zone appears to have been nationalised, which makes me immensely curious as to what has occurred in North Africa and the Middle East in a world where Empire wasn't so suddenly struck dead.

Algeria is indeed an integral part of France, while the southern section is known as French Sahara, and efforts to grant it independence often go nowhere, as any political leaders they would negotiate with demand all of Algeria. Despite their ability to vote, the Arabs and the Berbers often abstain from elections, meaning the Pied-Noirs disproportionately make up the political representation.

Egypt was a mistake! Thanks for pointing it out! It's still a UK territory, and it forms a buffer between Israel and Egypt. I'm updating the map soon!

Please do political party infoboxes for the other parliamentary parties.

For New England or the Commonwealth?

VT45

Banned
Nope. It's a republican Turkey. I might have selected the wrong colour, but it is very much not communist. The only communist countries remaining in Europe are Albania and the Soviet Union.

Oh okay. So what’s Turkey like ITTL?

World Tour: Hon. Daniel Newhouse, Leader of the Opposition (Canada)
Who is the current leader of the Progressive Conservatives in Canada?

G2OYAs7.png

Status
Not open for further replies.