Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
wafricabeforetoucouleur_s_by_banananaise-dbt08rl.png

The finished product of a WIP posted months ago!
My original intention was to make a map showing the expansion of the ATL state that rises after the collapse of the Toucouleurs - however, the entire thing got out of hand, and the project evolved into a series of maps showing West Africa changing through the 19th-20th centuries. This is the first map - though given how long I tinkered with and stressed over this map, I'm not sure what form the next maps will take. (Hopefully I'll finish the follow-up quicker than I finished this...)
Full disclosure: this map is mostly OTL (as the butterflies from my 1796 PoD haven't significantly affected uncolonised Africa) - so I apologise to anyone who knows more about the region than I do. It's near impossible to find good sources or maps for many of these lost states - I've taken artistic liberties when it comes to the exact borders of states (Kenedugu is practically complete guesswork), which states are 'Muslim' and which are 'Native' (most places aren't uniformly either), and which entities to include on the map.
The significant changes from OTL are basically Liberia ('sold' to Britain), the lack of a French presence at Medina, and the slightly later beginning of alt-Umar Tall's Toucouleur conquests.

I had to downsize the map for the forum, so here's the link to the full sized version on deviantart (though it's not that much bigger tbh)

Last edited:
I'd have thought alternate human species, given those are Pleistocene sea levels and some of it matches the ranges of early H. sapiens, Neanderthals, Denisovans, Homo erectus and some mystery species which is almost certainly derived from erectus.

eastern_europe_after_the_ostrog_truce_of_1661_by_vladyslav_ai-dbswxya.png

PoD: The son of Moscow's Tsar Michael I Ivan survived. He was elected at the Pereyaslav Rada 1659 by the Grand Duke of Malorus (Ukraine/Ruthenia). His actions at the head of the Ruthenian army allowed to avoid the Chudnov disaster. The Polish army was defeated. The earlier completion of the Russo-Polish War and the absence of The Ruin resulted in this.

eastern_europe_after_the_ostrog_truce_of_1661_by_vladyslav_ai-dbswxya.png

PoD: The son of Moscow's Tsar Michael I Ivan survived. He was elected at the Pereyaslav Rada 1659 by the Grand Duke of Malorus (Ukraine/Ruthenia). His actions at the head of the Ruthenian army allowed to avoid the Chudnov disaster. The Polish army was defeated. The earlier completion of the Russo-Polish War and the absence of The Ruin resulted in this.

I feel sad seeing the Kalmyk Khanate bisected in two. :(

Sentient Pandas in South and East Asia I would assume?
Europe populated by humans
East Africa... sentient lions or leopards? Or members of the Eupleridae family?
Australia has sentient koalas? Or roos?
And Siberia? Something like a sentient wolverine?

The "species" are based off the five Homo species according to the Smithsonian. The ranges are way more spread out than where the species actually are but they are all very nomadic in this time period (~50k BC). Haven't decided whether or not I am going add any sentient animals but I might.

Ah, but you're forgetting the Americas and the sapient racoons. :)
America's are coming.

Really like the map, especially all the detail, though I can't read Ukrainian (or is that Russian?). But what's the trade route passing from the Cossack Hetmanate to the East?

wafricabeforetoucouleur_s_by_banananaise-dbt08rl.png

The finished product of a WIP posted months ago!
My original intention was to make a map showing the expansion of the ATL state that rises after the collapse of the Toucouleurs - however, the entire thing got out of hand, and the project evolved into a series of maps showing West Africa changing through the 19th-20th centuries. This is the first map - though given how long I tinkered with and stressed over this map, I'm not sure what form the next maps will take. (Hopefully I'll finish the follow-up quicker than I finished this...)
Full disclosure: this map is mostly OTL (as the butterflies from my 1796 PoD haven't significantly affected uncolonised Africa) - so I apologise to anyone who knows more about the region than I do. It's near impossible to find good sources or maps for many of these lost states - I've taken artistic liberties when it comes to the exact borders of states (Kenedugu is practically complete guesswork), which states are 'Muslim' and which are 'Native' (most places aren't uniformly either), and which entities to include on the map.
The significant changes from OTL are basically Liberia ('sold' to Britain), the lack of a French presence at Medina, and the slightly later beginning of alt-Umar Tall's Toucouleur conquests.

I had to downsize the map for the forum, so here's the link to the full sized version on deviantart (though it's not that much bigger tbh)
That is so beautiful.

View attachment 353174

I came up with an idea where the United States swaps with Europe (among other things), so I decided to make Pennsylvania be Switzerland and then took the parallels to an absurd extreme by making the new Pennsylvanian Confederation quadrilingual. This map shows the four national languages (German, English, Spanish, and Chinese, or more accurately the Pennsylvanian dialects of them) and which is most spoken per county.

Slightly irrelevant side note: Philadelphia is Geneva, Harrisburg is Bern, and Pittsburgh is Zurich. Yes, the inverse applies to the European state of Switzerland.

That is seriously interesting to me, as a Pennsylvanian.

Last edited:
View attachment 353174

I came up with an idea where the United States swaps with Europe (among other things), so I decided to make Pennsylvania be Switzerland and then took the parallels to an absurd extreme by making the new Pennsylvanian Confederation quadrilingual. This map shows the four national languages (German, English, Spanish, and Chinese, or more accurately the Pennsylvanian dialects of them) and which is most spoken per county.

Slightly irrelevant side note: Philadelphia is Geneva, Harrisburg is Bern, and Pittsburgh is Zurich. Yes, the inverse applies to the European state of Switzerland.
Oh my. Looks like Pennsylvania is just baaaarely not landlocked. Depends on how you count the Great Lakes. Very befitting for the Swiss. And though this is quite an intriguing idea, I feel that perhaps having some Native American group by the Romansh expy might have worked better. Or the Amish. I am fascinated thinking what might be the Lichtenstein expy. Delaware? The northern nub of West Virginia?

Last edited:
Sentient Pandas in South and East Asia I would assume?
Europe populated by humans
East Africa... sentient lions or leopards? Or members of the Eupleridae family?
Australia has sentient koalas? Or roos?
And Siberia? Something like a sentient wolverine?
If one of the species were humans, wouldn't they be in Africa...?

Slightly misleading since in your original the Democratic Human republic of America was blue, not orange/brown.

The basemap I'm using is funny, and not in a ha ha way: it's hard to get colors the way I want, and blue keeps ending up too green or too purple. So I ended up in frustration going with orange/brown, which also can be used to indicate a rather authoritarian US.

But does that mean that a world map of that scenario is in the making?

Yes.

Faeelin

Banned
The basemap I'm using is funny, and not in a ha ha way: it's hard to get colors the way I want, and blue keeps ending up too green or too purple. So I ended up in frustration going with orange/brown, which also can be used to indicate a rather authoritarian

Are there really any other states left?

Can't wait obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.