Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Problem solved." - spoken by One Nation Senator Pauline Hanson upon the independence of the State of Cape York from the State of Queensland.

[A PROPER WRITE-UP MAY OR MAY NOT COME SOON]
I'd have hoped for a KAP one-party state, but I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer. Robbie Katter used to be the MP for Mount Isa, so is it possible that there could be a branch of the party in that state?

My only complaint is that the number of towns in Capricornia makes it look vastly more populated than rump Queensland when that is not the case.

Nice! Now I want to see the rest of the world... :biggrin:

(Minor note: you might want to reconsider having the beginning of black civilization being the taming of the watermelon. :p )
Watermelon is the only crop I'm aware of that is native to Southern Africa, so it defaulted to that. If anyone knows of other crops native to the area, I'd be interested to know.
Yeah, just to be clear, this was my original intent. Reagent pointed out that it had some... unfortunate connotations, but like he said, no other crops are native to the area. But besides that, it's not even necessarily the historical fact of the matter - that's just one historiographical interpretation among many.

snip

mandeville_in_the_21st_century_by_quantumbranching-dbq2872.png
Cool map. What is it based off of?

and heres the next map of february 1913 when the communists rose up again and the allies intervened, china is collepsing, the south succseded and in india the muslims revolt
rwegfr.png

Cool map. What is it based off of?

The Travels of Sir John Mandeville, expanded on with the help of a variety of myths about the Americas and other places from the age of exploration to the current day, medieval/early modern maps, and some ideas and inspiration from the "Mythic World" map I fancied up for Ephraim Ben Rafael. Several people also contributed good ideas, notably @Flashman.

Quite nice. Though I can't help but feel that they wouldn't use the shield over the eagle. That bird is prime symbolism and let's them claim the continuation of a thousand year's worth of history. Give or take four hundred. Ooh, and I see the Albertine and Ernestine Wettin lands have united. Who would you say the Germans dislike the most? The Saxons, Hanoverians, or Prussians?
The arms is the bit of the map that I'm least happy with, mainly because I was anxious to get it posted Saturday night to not miss the MotF contest deadline (as was I was going to be out all of Sunday), and hence they ended up just being the Wittelsbach shield over the German eagle. I don't see why they wouldn't necessarily be used though? My reasoning was that the eagle would be used to legitimise their claim to the United Kingdom of Germany, rather than the "United Kingdom of the Rhineland, Bavaria and some other bits".

Regarding Germany's foreign relations, I'd think they'd have a close relationship with the Netherlands out of economic necessity as virtually everything being shipped into or out of the country would have to go via Dutch ports. Hanover's control of most of the North Sea coast and the fact its territory separates Oldenburg from the rest of Germany is a sore point, although as the King of Hanover is also the King of Great Britain and Ireland, there isn't too much the Germans can do other than hope the British continue to pay more attention to their empire than they do to Europe. Prussia and France are seen as traditional rivals while the Austrians are too wrapped up in their own problems to be much of a worry and Saxony's foreign policy mostly consists of hoping Prussia doesn't decide it would be more convenient for Franconia to be physically connected to Berlin.

Pennsylvanian Confederation.png

I came up with an idea where the United States swaps with Europe (among other things), so I decided to make Pennsylvania be Switzerland and then took the parallels to an absurd extreme by making the new Pennsylvanian Confederation quadrilingual. This map shows the four national languages (German, English, Spanish, and Chinese, or more accurately the Pennsylvanian dialects of them) and which is most spoken per county.

Slightly irrelevant side note: Philadelphia is Geneva, Harrisburg is Bern, and Pittsburgh is Zurich. Yes, the inverse applies to the European state of Switzerland.

2053.png

I came up with a situation involving a repeat of World War 1 and World War 2 in the 21st century (with the current year being 2053) shortly after the close of the Italian War, which resulted in the division of Italy into the fascist north and democratic south.

India has been restyled the Great Union of Bharat, and is under a hard-right regime (being analogous to the Soviet Union), while France serves as an analogue to China, with Corsica and other various French territories being Taiwan.

The United States is both the USA and Britain at the same time, having stayed out of WW4 until Argentina thought it would be a smart idea to bomb Guantanamo Bay. (Cuba and Hawaii swapped, sort of.) The large areas of new territories were annexed from Mexico (analogous to Italy) following the conclusion of the war.

The EU and Japan are both France, while China was the Ottoman Empire and Russia was Austria-Hungary. Iran, I believe, was Germany, with a generic Hitler analogue taking over. No, before you ask, he wasn't a radical Islamist, he was a communist.

Yes, I know that means that the Axis in World War 4 consisted of Iran, Mexico, and Argentina. Don't laugh at me, I was tired when I made this and didn't really think about the logistics.

Also, Yugorussia is Yugoslavia, with Ukraine as Serbia. I don't really know why I felt the need to make it so big.

I'd continue to transcribe the long list of analogues here, but I have a feeling that nobody would bother to read it, so just ask if there's something you're confused about.

so just ask if there's something you're confused about.

Why is part of North Africa French blue? They didn't recolonize North Africa, did they?

(China, as an economically booming, authoritarian, nationalist, ethnically fairly homogenous, insecure rising power looking for their place in the sun makes a rather better Germany than Iran if you ask me. Or are you keeping the Chinese market in mind? :biggrin: )

An Australia with more states? I like it.

Ayyyy thanks! :D

I'd have hoped for a KAP one-party state, but I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer. Robbie Katter used to be the MP for Mount Isa, so is it possible that there could be a branch of the party in that state?

My only complaint is that the number of towns in Capricornia makes it look vastly more populated than rump Queensland when that is not the case.

Ah, yeah... I didn't think that through. :|

I sorta live near Rockhampton, so maybe that has something to do with it? :p

Why is part of North Africa French blue? They didn't recolonize North Africa, did they?
Looks like it's not quite French blue, but Eurofed territory dark purple (also found in Switzerland and, inexplicably, the Falklands and South Georgia).

Status
Not open for further replies.