No surprises to me. ATL, Germany (or West Germany as it should be) has gone down the shitty road since Hitler was removed, so having a new Emperor was bound to happen.

Just once correction. Why is it Liberty Party and not Freiheit Partei?

On the topic of France (I would keep from commenting on Germany), it feels like latent Germanophobia is underestimated, even though you do point at it.

As I see it, if France and its people are almost evenly despising the Communist bloc and Freyist Germany, and counting that other French habit of despising NATO (it led to rejection of European Defence Community in 1955, development of independent nuclear arsenal and eventually under de Gaulle, withdrawal from NATO), I would say that a logical conclusion is 'Splendid Isolation', except that France doesn't have a sea around.

However, France does have a particular nuclear doctrine made by de Gaulle that roughly says, 'if you invade our national territory, we nuke you' (well, I may be oversimplifying, but that's the spirit).
On that, I was surprised to learn in a recent article (Guerre&Histoire, no 38, pp48-49), about the impact of French nuclear strategical doctrine on Soviet strategic doctrine that appeared in the Vorochilov Lectures (IOTL, documents from a Soviet military academy leaked by an Afghan officer who defected after his country invasion in 1979). In that article, I read that the Soviets considered the French and their doctrine an element so independent that they adapted their war strategy from an all out nuclear war in case of WWIII to a more conventional one. I lack enough knowledge of the subject so I can't elaborate, but that says about how the Soviets may consider France on the diplomatic stage, and if Gorbachev (as Foreign minister) has enough wisedom, he might use that to instill a schism within NATO and create enough uncertainty on the western back of Freyist Germany to calm it down (Frey may use German taxpayer money to hire best public relation firms in the world, that wouldn't help him with century long Franco-German grudge).

All things that I intend to explore and I feel will happen, but not with the Soviet threat looming. Gorbachev may have done that, but essentially he has no power or influence with the hardliners, who control the country's policy.

No surprises to me. ATL, Germany (or West Germany as it should be) has gone down the shitty road since Hitler was removed, so having a new Emperor was bound to happen.

Just once correction. Why is it Liberty Party and not Freiheit Partei?
It is. However I used the English translation in the Wikibox. Whenever I refer to it's initials I use FP.

Well...
That's gonna screw up European politics.
Slowly taking over Europe, one nation at a time XD

latest

Interesting system. It could be abused to choose a candidate more friendly to your ideology though. Even if the monarch is only symbolic, a symbol's support can amount to a lot.

How is that any worse than the way the Chancellor chooses the President in their OTL system?

The fact the President is supposed to be more politicized than this new monarchy? One of the reasons you would want a monarch is the stabilizing influence. But if parties can mess around to get their favored heir on the throne, it create a whole lot more tension.

It's all right for the president because it's designed to be this way. But here, The Congressman says the vote is just supposed to ensure the next in line is suitable. I just pointed out it's easy to abuse the spirit of the system.