New Deal Coalition Retained: A Sixth Party System Wikibox Timeline

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: After 1900' started by The Congressman, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Alpha-King98760 Aku's most favorite assassin, babe!

The future where Aku's evil is law, babe.
    Very good. Very good.

2. President Earl Warren Well-Known Member

I agree

Alpha-King98760 likes this.
  3. President Earl Warren Well-Known Member

I was just thinking the only socially liberal party is The progessives, and in my view the only thing they are good for is be a big spoiler in presidential elections

4. The Congressman Populist Liberty Conservative

They're playing a big part in Congress so far, and even bigger at the state level.

5. President Earl Warren Well-Known Member

oh right,

6. President Eternal Liberal American

Nice update. Glad to see a demonstration that a leftist government can exist without being in Moscow or Beijing's shadow.

7. Archangel Battery-powered Bureaucrat

Good balanced measures by Berlinguer. :)

8. Nyvis Well-Known Member

Well, Left Freyism balances out the insanity coming out of Germany. I like it.
    If it works, it will open new options for communists everywhere by showing you can go left without falling into the Leninist/Stalinist excesses.

9. The Congressman Populist Liberty Conservative

Next time on NDCR:

[​IMG]

Archangel, Israel, Mr_Falcon and 2 others like this.
  10. President Earl Warren Well-Known Member

Call from german elcetion commite

Congratualtions, Doctor, you seem to be Chancllor.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  11. Nightingale God is Freedom

If I were to choose between liberty conservatism and right-Freyism, I'd choose right-Freyism in a heartbeat, since it gives more freedom for its followers to align with progressive economic policies. Interesting what's happening in Italy. Usually, communism is tied to the USSR and China. And though I personally hate communism, well, I am interested to see what happens in Italy and the left in Europe and beyond.

P.S. As the Congressman and I have stressed before, In some ways, the left is much stronger ITTL, especially in economics. But when it comes to social issues, the right is much stronger. For example, AmCare passed. But there's basically a supermajority greater than two-thirds in the US Senate, for example, blocking socially liberal policies. Communonationalists and conservatives are all voting against those things. IMO, the ITTL US Senate can possibly pass a Federal Marriage Amendment, and maybe a Human Life Amendment if they are willing to do so.

Say, @The Congressman, how about the Civil Rights Act of 1981? We haven't seen an update about that, as far as I can remember.

Also @The Congressman, how large is the US social conservative coalition right now ITTL?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  12. Historygeek03033 Member

Great timeline. has anything changed in Finland or is everything going as in otl?

13. Asami Empress of Greater East Asia Donor

I'd rather it be the other way around, to be honest.

Nightingale likes this.
  14. Alpha-King98760 Aku's most favorite assassin, babe!

A Declaration War from Addis Ababa and Khartoum

[​IMG]
    With the ever increasing tensions between the Entebbe Pact and the People's Democratic Republic of Ethiopia along with Ethiopia's ally of the Republic of Sudan, whose leader President Gaafar Muhammad an-Nimeiry was present, members of the world press had descended on the Ethiopian capital of Addis Ababa as Mengistu Haile Mariam, the Chairman of Derg, the Communist military junta that has ruled the country since the coup that ended the Solomonic dynasty, prepared to give a speech on the recent border clashes with Kenyan military forces.

"Workers of the world, let it be known that as you have triumphed over Yakovlev and his revisionist traitors in Moscow, so too will your Ethiopian brethren triumph over the revisionists in Mogadishu and Maputo. We will also crush the capitalist tyrants in Kampala, Kinshasa, Huambo, and Nairobi - the Entebbe Pact thinks Ethiopia will not act but we will! Therefore, I hereby declare war on the Entebbe Pact and the revisionists in Mogadishu and Maputo!" exclaimed Mengistu. Supporters of the Derg cheered and the press corps was utterly stunned. President Nimeiry then stepped forward to take Mengistu's place on the podium and went right into a speech of his own before the press could even begin to ask questions.

[​IMG]
    "I can assure my friend and ally, Chairman Mengistu Haile Mariam, that the people of Sudan will stand by their Ethiopian brothers and sisters against the West's lap dogs in the Entebbe Pact and we will win! The Pact wishes to enslave Africa to their whims just as the Europeans did before them, I and Chairman Mariam will not stand for this - Africa must be free! I pledge my complete support and that of the entire Sudanese nation to Ethiopia. War is coming Amin, Mobutu, Savimbi, and Obama...I hope you're all ready."

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  15. Nightingale God is Freedom

OTL.

16. President Eternal Liberal American

So all the great powers of Africa are going to war, huh? This is going to be messy.

17. TimTurner Puxatani Phil Admirer

I am hoping this somehow ends in an Ethiopian monarchical restoration. Down with the Derg!

18. Alpha-King98760 Aku's most favorite assassin, babe!

Perhaps.

19. Alpha-King98760 Aku's most favorite assassin, babe!

War for Libya, Ethiopia, and the Entebbe Pact means war for Africa. Africa is going to have a world war of its own.

20. Cylon_Number_14 Nothing Unreal Exists

On the other hand, the basis of Liberty Conservatism includes keeping the Federal government out of social policy (for the most part) so there might not be a supermajority big enough for social/moral amendments.