Massively Multiplayer: Gaming In The New Millennium

Status
Not open for further replies.
We probably should've done a Jumanji game for the SNES-CD. I know we did cover the movie a bit by having Robin Williams give Kirsten Dunst an SNES-CD, but we should've done an actual game. Maybe later on we could have a game come out. 10th anniversary maybe?
I was thinking that, how otl game spurned out later on, hey that ghostbuster game was amazing after the nerd trauma inducing ones.

Deleted member 100251

Hey, I'm new around here but I've been reading your alternate history for a while now. (I've read Player Two Start as well). I just want to say that it's a really good alternate history, I've really enjoyed what you've came up with so far. Do you mind if I ask some questions?

Hey, I'm new around here but I've been reading your alternate history for a while now. (I've read Player Two Start as well). I just want to say that it's a really good alternate history, I've really enjoyed what you've came up with so far. Do you mind if I ask some questions?
Thanks Lurker who graduated to member, nice you enjoy the story rysenkari and i(alongside uncountable collaborators, with Pyro, Crunch, among other) have make, if you've some doubts, question, pausability checks don't dout in ask for it, we will answer unless those give massive spoiler ahead.

Deleted member 100251

Okay. Here we go:
1. In your version of Pokemon Gen 2 (Sun and Moon), does Wobbuffet still exist or is he butterflied?
2. Since the 64DD never happened, meaning Randnet never happened. Is there any major changes to Recruit Holdings Co., Inc? (who partnered up with Nintendo for Randnet)

2. Since the 64DD never happened, meaning Randnet never happened. Is there any major changes to Recruit Holdings Co., Inc? (who partnered up with Nintendo for Randnet)
Recruit did helped a lot that just randnet, there was marigul managment for second and third parties of n64 who was butterfly away, so i think recruit did not make steps into videogame market that putting their human resource service for personal hirings.

1.About Pokemon, wait till @RySenkari as he have major control over pokemon.

So other doubts or question about the tl?

Deleted member 96212

So I like to read about true crime stories, and in my pursuits I began to wonder if this site had any alternate scenarios involving infamous crimes and such. I then came across this:

Police Chief: And we can now confirm that there have been 21 people killed, including the shooter. *there is a very quiet but audible gasp from the reporters as this number is read* We have 19 injured people that have been taken to area hospitals, six of them in critical condition. We can now also positively identify the shooter as a Mr. Christopher Weston Chandler.

You chose Chris-chan to be a rampage killer? Why?

Ah.

So Jobs wants to potentially partner with Nintendo, eh? That throws a very interesting monkey wrench into the works. Assuming the Elite doesn't bomb, which given that Microsoft is backing it with some star power it might not be completely terrible, then Nintendo might very well be interested in a short-sighted relationship with Apple to stage a come back with the Nova successor.

My guess is that if Nintendo isn't careful they could end up in a situation where they damage their relationship with Sony in some form from jumping ship like that. Perhaps Sony offers to help design the Nova's successor if the Elite takes off and they reject it in favor of Jobs' offer? Hm...

It'd be kind of funny if Apple and Nintendo do partner up, but then Nintendo does to them what they did to Sony in OTL with the SNES-CD: spurn a partner that then parlays lessons learned from a failed joint product into a superior, world-changing rival product.

Deleted member 100251

It'd be kind of funny if Apple and Nintendo do partner up, but then Nintendo does to them what they did to Sony in OTL with the SNES-CD: spurn a partner that then parlays lessons learned from a failed joint product into a superior, world-changing rival product.
If I remember correctly, previously in the thread some mentioned the same thing but with SEGA instead of Nintendo. Either way it would be funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like we have some new readers (or maybe just new posters). Welcome to the TL and thanks for reading :) Some of 2002's best games are coming up in the subsequent updates (and some fairly big storyline moments) so I hope you guys enjoy them.

Okay. Here we go:
1. In your version of Pokemon Gen 2 (Sun and Moon), does Wobbuffet still exist or is he butterflied?

Wobbuffet still exists in pretty much the same form as IOTL.

So I like to read about true crime stories, and in my pursuits I began to wonder if this site had any alternate scenarios involving infamous crimes and such. I then came across this:

You chose Chris-chan to be a rampage killer? Why?

Well, I was sort of thinking of the OTL Elliot Rodger and 1989 Ecole Polytechnique massacres. ITTL, Chris-chan's quest for a girlfriend takes a significantly more misogynistic component and it eventually drives him to violence. IOTL he's mostly just dangerous to himself (save for the occasional incident like that Gamestop pepper spraying), but I envisioned a scenario in which he turns more outwardly angry and violent. I also wanted to take someone who's mostly regarded as a joke IOTL and turn him into something a lot worse.

Well, I was sort of thinking of the OTL Elliot Rodger and 1989 Ecole Polytechnique massacres. ITTL, Chris-chan's quest for a girlfriend takes a significantly more misogynistic component and it eventually drives him to violence. IOTL he's mostly just dangerous to himself (save for the occasional incident like that Gamestop pepper spraying), but I envisioned a scenario in which he turns more outwardly angry and violent. I also wanted to take someone who's mostly regarded as a joke IOTL and turn him into something a lot worse.
And also, for any Canadian readers, Chris-Chan's rampange would affect one of the more famous episodes of D:TNG, but won't reveal it for the sake of spoiler protection.

Summer 2002 (Part 10) - Capcom's Next-Gen Plans
Street Fighter Omega

Developed by Capcom, Street Fighter Omega is, as of 2002, the most recent game in the Street Fighter series. Intended to bring together the storylines of Street Fighter Alpha and Street Fighter III, Omega uses the Street Fighter III engine but features advanced graphics and sound, along with new super combos for each character. The original arcade game, as well as the Katana and Xbox versions of the game, feature 34 characters, while the Ultra Nintendo version features 37 (the characters from the Nova exclusive Street Fighter III: The New Age appear in the game).

Here is a list of characters appearing in Omega:

Ryu
Ken
Guile
Chun-Li
Blanka
Dhalsim
E. Honda
Zangief
Balrog
Vega
Sagat
M. Bison
Cammy
T. Hawk
Birdie
Guy
Charlie
Rose
Akuma
Dan
Rolento
Sakura
Gen
Cody
Karin
Grace
Bearclaw
Kastor
Alex
Dudley
Elena
Ibuki
Sean
Gill
(NEW) Xero- (a cybernetically enhanced man who was built as an assassin to hunt down and kill those who interfered with the Illuminati)
(NEW) Langston- (a James Bond-type special agent who investigates international criminals and disappearances)
(NEW) Manna- (the game's main villain, a woman who was born with the ability to use an ancient type of dark magic and now seeks to conquer the world)

The game's plot essentially brings together most of the heroes from previous Street Fighter games to do battle against an evil force hellbent on conquering humanity. As this game is a sort of follow-up to Street Fighter III, the villain at first appears to be Gill, but this is a bait and switch, as Manna reveals herself later on. Utilizing her powerful magic, she manipulated the Illuminati and Shadaloo to carry out her wishes, and once Gill is defeated, she effortlessly tosses him aside with her magic to battle the protagonist herself. The game has both a story mode (with 12 fights, plus a rival fight, then Gill, and then Manna), a conventional arcade mode (with eight fights followed by Kastor, Bison, Gill, and Manna). Completing the arcade mode earns the player a shortened version of their chosen character's ending, while completing the story mode earns the player the full version with a short anime cutscene. Though the Katana and Xbox versions don't have the Nova-exclusive characters, they do boast superior graphics and an online two player versus mode.

Street Fighter Omega was originally released in Japanese arcades in November 2000 and in North American arcades in the spring of 2001. The Ultra Nintendo version was released on September 30, 2002 in North America (after a spring 2002 Japanese release), and the Katana and Xbox versions came to North America in December 2002 (after an April 2002 release for the Katana in Japan, while the Japanese Xbox version came out simultaneously with the North American version). The game was an enormous hit in Japanese arcades, but not so much in North American ones, while the game itself sold well on both the Ultra Nintendo (where it became the top selling Street Fighter release since III) and the Katana. It did decent sales for the Xbox in North America, while in Japan it flopped on that console. Ultimately, while Street Fighter was no longer the king of fighting games, Omega still proved to be both a critical and commercial hit, and convinced Capcom that they needed to begin working on IV for the sixth generation consoles.

-

Resident Evil Exclusive! Preview! Screenshots!

We've just gotten some exclusive screenshots from the upcoming Resident Evil games for both the Ultra Nintendo and the new Nintendo Wave, and the games look really exciting.

We'll start with Resident Evil: Phytogenesis, which Capcom is developing exclusively for the Ultra Nintendo. This game introduces a brand new protagonist and a new virus to the series: The P-Virus, which is designed to infect and mutate species of plants. You'll have to deal with some truly horrifying plant creatures in this game, including walking plant zombies and massive flowers that can shoot deadly spores into the air. Capcom's still early in the development stages for this game, which is expected to be the last new Resident Evil game for the Ultra. Indeed, it's even earlier into development than the upcoming game for the Nintendo Wave: Resident Evil: Outbreak.

*Screenshots show a woman in a labcoat shooting at a bunch of vines, a massive open blooming flower facing the screen, a group of soldiers surrounding a bunch of plant walkers, and the same woman in the labcoat on the ground as a plant walker towers over her.*

The first Resident Evil designed exclusively for next generation systems, Outbreak will allow up to four people to play at once, though the game also allows for single-player. The game stars a team of operatives caught up in the deadly zombie apocalypse featured in Resident Evil 2. They must work together to escape while discovering an unknown mystery about the nature of the T-Virus and a future threat to humankind. Designed as a co-op Resident Evil experience, players will gain boosts for assisting one another in combat, and the game has somewhat of a faster pace than previous titles in the series, similar to Operation Stormwind. The game is expected to make its debut shortly after the Wave's release.

*There are more than a dozen screenshots for Outbreak, depicting the game's menu and character select systems, while others show up to four characters on screen at once fighting a horde of zombies. Two of the screenshots depict the characters fighting what appears to be a 4x bigger than normal Licker.*

Shinji Mikami has also announced that he's begun work on Resident Evil 4, presumably for the Wave. While we don't yet have any gameplay details or screenshots of that game, you'll be the first to know when there's any news about the series' horrifying next installment!

-from the October 2002 issue of Nintendo Power

-

Meet The Shining Star Of The Wave's Launch

For the last ten years, Sailor Moon has been a defining element of Japanese culture. She's everywhere, from posters and billboards to television and magazines. She's the archetypical magical girl character, loved by millions around the world, and she's inspired countless imitations and tributes. She's inspired Star Siren director Atsushi Inaba too.

"We had two ideas for a possible game for the Nintendo Wave," said Inaba. "I've always been a big fan of American comic books, and I wanted to do something inspired by traditional American comic book heroes. But I have also found inspiration in the magical girl genre here in Japan, and it's recently become very big all over the world with all ages. There have been plenty of comic book superhero games. There have also been many magical girl games, but they have been RPGs, or simulation games. But I wondered, what if we made a game in the beat-em-up style that took inspiration from the magical girl genre? So that's how Star Siren was born. It's something that has never really been done before and we thought it would be a perfect way to introduce ourselves to developing for the new Wave machine."

The protagonist of Star Siren is a high school girl named Saiyuki. One day, while traveling home from school, Saiyuki and her best friend are attacked by a cloaked man. The cloaked man knocks Saiyuki into a wall and begins draining her best friend's soul. After Saiyuki is attacked, a mysterious jeweled comb she picked up on her recent vacation is knocked out of her backpack. When she picks it up, it begins to glow and speak to her. It gives her a transformation phrase to use: "Henshin a go-go!", and when she uses it, she is instantly transformed into Star Siren, protector of the weak and innocent. Star Siren has a massive repertoire of powers she can use on her foes, and, Inaba says, designing these powers was one of the most fun parts of developing the game.

"We all know that characters like Sailor Moon have many different spells they can use, all sorts of elaborate attacks with flashy special effects. I think we went way over the top when designing them, so that was a lot of fun!"

Saiyuki's attacks range from mundane punches, kicks, and small bursts of light, to massive twirling displays of color and sparkles that fill up the entire screen. Some of Saiyuki's most powerful attacks even call forth beings from space, similar to Sephiroth's Super Nova attack in Final Fantasy VII. These effects, while elaborate, are kept short and sweet and rare so as not to disrupt the flow of battle.

"You'll only use a special attack like that perhaps once per stage," said Inaba, "so you won't be interrupting fights just to cast huge spells. We wanted to make this game even more fun to play than it was for us to make."

From the animation to the special effects, right down to the voice cast, the game was designed with magical girl inspiration in mind. Star Siren's seiyuu is Kotono Mitsuishi, the voice actress for Sailor Moon, in another deliberate allusion to the legendary character. The game's English dub voice cast has yet to be announced. We asked Inaba if Star Siren would be fighting alongside a team of superheroes in this game, similar to the Sailor Senshi in Sailor Moon, but he said that, at least for this first game, Star Siren's fighting solo.

"We felt it would work best if she was a solo superheroine this time around, but perhaps in the sequel...? There is no multiplayer in this game, and if we gave Star Siren teammates, we felt that it would have to be with multiplayer in mind. It is something we'd like to do if the game sells well!"

Star Siren is planned as a launch game for the Japanese launch of the Nintendo Wave this coming December. Capcom has also announced that the game will launch simultaneously with the Wave in North America this spring. We'll be covering the game in our Import Review section early next year.

-from the October 2002 issue of Newtype USA

The Amazing Race, Season 3
The Amazing Race: Season 3: There's No Crying in Racing.

The third season of the race was good season of the race, marred, according to most by the winners. Or at least one of them. There were a change between Season 2 and this one. Namely the number of teams increased from eleven to twelve. Other than that change there wasn't any major changes from a production standpoint. The racers themselves, reacting to everything that happened in the first two seasons of the show, started to play the game a little meaner. Though they were still in the habit of calling out unfair play in other teams.

The casting process took place in May and June 2002 with filming taking place between August and September 2002. The cast was somewhat the same as the first two seasons:

The Cast

Flo and Zach: Friends who met at Vassar College. To say that Flo is high maintenance would be understating things. Though she probably didn't think that the race would be this stressful. Thank God for Zach. I'm sure Flo does. Though it must be said that Flo is a good sport about how she was portrayed and how she is able to laugh at herself. Unlike other teams that I shall not mention.

Derek and Drew: Identical twins and models. Derek was the only twin who was married at the time this season was recorded. Plus he tends to wear red, while Drew wears blue. They were a great physical threat. Add to that Drew's romance with Flo make them a presence on the show.

Tramel and Talicia: Brother and sister team who call themselves TNT because they will blow the house down. Not much more to say than that.

Tian and Jaree: Another model team, although these two are friends. They are a pair of strong women who were able to power through the race.

Aaron and Arianne: Friends who believe that they deserve the money more than most of the other teams, especially the twins.

Andre and Damon: Friends, Andre is a police officer and Damon a firefighter. Thought they are physically capable of doing the race, they are also the most dependant on other teams.

Ken and Gerard: Two brothers who opposites: Ken is a gay liberal, Gerard is a straight conservative. They get along remarkably well.

Gina and Sylvia: Homemakers who seem pleasant. Don't let that fool you though, they really are pleasant.

Teri and Ian: Two retirees who are pretty abrasive, even with each other. They aren't that bad all things considered though.

Heather and Eve: Recent graduates of Harvard Law when this season was recorded, they don't reflect well on that school. Or on women for that matter as they try to use their sex appeal to get ahead. Which isn't a bad thing in and of itself. It just doesn't work like they hope.

Dennis and Andrew: Conservative Baptist Minister and his gay cheerleader son, these two were a hoot. They bring a smile to my face every time I see them.

Michael and Kathy: Long distance daters. Unfortunately, their unfamiliarity with each other, plus their laid back attitude weren't what was necessary.

The Race

Leg #1: "Don't Do That Again!"

Original Air Date: October 2nd, 2002.

On the edge of the Florida Everglades, teams receive $100 and instructions to go to Rio de Janeiro, via one of two flights that are two hours apart. Seven teams get on the first flight while the last five get on the last one. Once in Rio they have to get to the Cristo Rendentor statue on Corcovado Mountain. There they are told to go to Paqueta Island and kiss Fat Maria. Fat Maria is a tree. Yes, really.

After that they have to get tickets back to the mainland on boats that leave the next morning. Teams then have to go to Sugar Loaf Mountain. There teams face the Detour: Mountain or Beach. In Mountain, teams rappel down Sugar Loaf Mountain. In Beach, teams have to go back down the mountain, go to Impanema Beach and, using a photo, find the woman who inspired the song, The Girl from Impanema.

Once that is done, teams are sent to the National Library of Brazil where the Roadblock is. In this Roadblock, one team member has to find one of twelve books from a specific list. Then they have to deliver the book to the head librarian to get their next clue. Then it is off to the Pit Stop: A ship in Rio Harbor.

1. Tian and Jaree 1:01 P.M. Won: A seven night Caribbean Cruise.

2. Flo and Zach 1:05 P.M.

3. Ken and Gerard 1:10 P.M.

4. Aaron and Arianne 1:36 P.M.

5. Michael and Kathy 1:42 P.M.

6. Heather and Eve 2:17 P.M.

7. Andre and Damon 2:20 P.M. PENALIZED 80 MINUTES

8. Derek and Drew 3:04 P.M.

9. Dennis and Andrew 3:09 P.M.

10. Teri and Ian 3:12 P.M.

11. Gina and Sylvia 4:15 P.M.

12. Tramel and Talicia 4:20 P.M. ELIMINATED.

Leg #2: "It's Dark as Hell out."

Original Air Date: October 9th, 2002.

Getting $200, teams have to go to a samba club and find a dancer whose headdress matched the feather they are provided. The clue they are given tells teams to go to the summit of Pedro Bonita Mountain. Waiting for them there is the Fast Forward and the Detour. The Fast Forward in going to a local beach and playing volleyball against local players. After scoring ten points, the team who wins it will go to the Pit Stop. Derek and Drew win the Fast Forward easily.

The Detour is a choice between Freak Out or Seek Out. In Freak Out, teams tandem hang glide, though not with each other, off the mountain they are on to Sao Coronado Beach. In Seek Out, teams go to the same beach and, using a metal detector, search a mile and a half of sand for their next clue. All teams then take a bus 900 miles to the village of Foz do Iguacu. There teams find the Roadblock.

In this Roadblock, one team member has to take a speedboat into the falls and find the route marker in the vicinity of Iguacu Falls. Then it is off to the Pit Stop: A jungle camp near Iguacu Falls.

1. Derek and Drew 3:03 P.M.

2. Heather and Eve 4:44 P.M.

3. Aaron and Arianne 4:46 P.M.

4. Michael and Kathy 4:48 P.M.

5. Tian and Jaree 4:50 P.M.

6. Flo and Zach 6:00 P.M.

7. Ken and Gerard 6:45 P.M.

8. Andre and Damon 7:43 P.M.

9. Dennis and Andrew 7:45 P.M.

10. Teri and Ian 7:46 P.M.

11. Gina and Sylvia 7:50 P.M. ELIMINATED.

Leg #3: "You Forgot About Me Again!"

Original Air Date: October 16th, 2002.

Receiving $444, teams are told to go to Calem Port Lodge in Porto, Portugal. There teams have to do a Detour: Old School or New School. In Old School, teams have to deliver one barrel of port across the water to a restaurant in a boat. In New School, teams have to take nine cases, and make deliveries to three restaurants in a specific order.

After that teams have to go by train to Lisbon and go to Gate F of Estadio do Restelo. There teams face the Roadblock. In this Roadblock, one team member has to block a shot on the goal from a teen soccer player. It's more difficult than it sounds. Then teams have to walk one and a half miles to the Pit Stop: The 400-year-old fortress known as Torre del Belem.

1. Heather and Eve 1:28 A.M. 28 MINUTE PENALTY/ELIMINATED.

2. Ken and Gerard 1:36 A.M.

3. Flo and Zach 1:40 A.M.

4. Derek and Drew 1:42 A.M.

5. Tian and Jaree 1:43 A.M.

6. Andre and Damon 1:44 A.M.

7. Teri and Ian 1:45 A.M.

8. Dennis and Andrew 1:46 A.M.

9. Michael and Kathy 1:49 A.M.

10. Aaron and Arianne 1:52 A.M.

Leg #4: "My Singing was Awful, wasn't it?"

Original Air Date: October 23rd, 2002.

Told to go to the Westernmost Point of Continental Europe (Cabo de Roca) $150 richer, teams run into the Detour: Ropes or Slopes. In Ropes, teams have to rappel down the side of the cliff. In Slopes, teams have to walk down. Then teams are told to go to Cadiz, Spain. It is on the way there that five teams (Michael and Kathy, Aaron and Arianne, Teri and Ian, Flo and Zach and Dennis and Andrew) put Unleaded Gas into their Diesel cars. This causes them to fall behind, slightly.

However, they all get to Cadiz, Spain, specifically the Gran Teatro Falla. There teams face a Roadblock. In this Roadblock, one team member has to put on a costume and sing with a group of chirigotas, who sing humorous songs on current events. Then teams have to go to the Pit Stop: Le Playa de la Caleta.

1. Flo and Zach 11:12 A.M.

2. Tian and Jaree 11:26 A.M.

3. Derek and Drew 11:34 A.M.

4. Dennis and Andrew 11:45 A.M.

5. Ken and Gerard 12:16 P.M.

6. Teri and Ian 12:32 P.M.

7. Andre and Damon 12:57 P.M.

8. Michael and Kathy 1:05 P.M.

9. Aaron and Arianne 1:16 P.M. ELIMINATED.

Leg #5: "I'm Going to Hate Tomatoes for the rest of my life."

Original Air Date: October 30th, 2002.

Starting with $300, teams are told to go to Barcelona, Spain by train. There teams have to go to the Parc del Laberint d'Horta where they search the maze to find the Detour: Lug It or Lob It. In Lug It, teams have to go to Las Ramblas, going to the Maremagnum Bridge on foot, change into a nine and a half foot tall costume of a giant, then carry that more than a mile to Placa San Felipe Neri to get their next clue. In Lob It, teams have to go Bunol, Spain, nine miles away, by taxi. Then they have to search through a whole pile of tomatoes for a clue, while having tomatoes thrown at them.

Then teams had to go to the Aquarium Barcelona, where teams face the Roadblock. In this Roadblock, one team member has to go into the tank, which has 450 species, including sharks, and search for the clue on in a chest on the floor. Then it is off to the Pit Stop: The National Art Museum of Catalonia.

1. Derek and Drew 2:15 P.M. Won two Kodak EasyShare digital cameras.

2. Flo and Zach 2:16 P.M.

3. Ken and Gerard 2:31 P.M.

4. Tian and Jaree 2:47 P.M.

5. Dennis and Andrew 3:01 P.M.

6. Teri and Ian 3:06 P.M.

7. Michael and Kathy 3:33 P.M.

8. Andre and Damon 4:04 P.M. ELIMINATED.

Leg #6: "Too Many Wrong Turns."

Original Air Date: November 13th, 2002.

After getting $120, teams are told to go to Cape Town, South Africa. Once there teams have to go to Robben Island and visit the cell where Nelson Mandela was held. Then teams have to go to Kalk Bay Harbor, where the Fast Forward and the Detour are. The Fast Forward requires a team to go to Mooiberge Strawberry Fields in Stellenbosch and look inside a zebra shaped scarecrow for their next clue. Dennis and Andrew and Teri and Ian go for it though Teri and Ian lose out.

The Detour is a choice between Dance and Deliver. In Dance, teams have to earn 25 Rand (about two dollars at the time) dancing with local street performers. In Deliver, teams have to deliver 125 kilograms of fish to a market. Teams are then told to go to Paradise Hair Salon in Zone 23, Langa Township, a poor area of Cape Town. It is here that teams face the Roadblock.

In this Roadblock, one team member has to go into the township and buy a box of Epsom Salts and a Smiley (a local name for a roasted sheep's head). Then they have to deliver it to Ndama Sangoma, who will use the Epsom salts to make a potion that they have to drink. Then it's off to the Pit Stop: Lanzerac Manor in Stellenbosch.

1. Dennis and Andrew 1:33 P.M. Won two Kodak EasyShare Cameras

2. Tian and Jaree 2:50 P.M.

3. Flo and Zach 2:59 P.M.

4. Derek and Drew 3:15 P.M.

5. Ken and Gerard 3:20 P.M.

6. Michael and Kathy 3:48 P.M.

7. Teri and Ian 4:22 P.M. ELIMINATED.

Leg #7: "I've got to pay him back somehow."

Original Air Date: November 20th, 2002.

After getting one dollar, that's right one dollar, teams have to go to Munich, Germany. Once there teams have to go to Friedensengel, where they have to get their clue from a really annoying children's puppet called Kaperle. The clue tells teams to go to the Pillar of St. Anne in Innsbruck, Austria. It is here that teams find the Detour: Skate or Sled.

In Skate, teams have to do an ice skating relay with professional skaters. In Sled, teams have to ride with the Austrian bob sled team. Then teams have to go to the Seegrube Station, where the Roadblock is. In this Roadblock, one team member has to put on safety gear, board a gondola and then descend 230 feet on a cable to the ground. Then it's off to the Pit Stop: Neuschwanstein Castle in Fussen, Germany.

1. Derek and Drew 12:40 P.M. Won two Kodak EasyShare Cameras.

2. Flo and Zach 12:43 P.M.

3. Tian and Jaree 12:50 P.M.

4. Dennis and Andrew 12:58 P.M.

5. Ken and Gerard 1:55 P.M.

6. Michael and Kathy 2:50 P.M. ELIMINATED.

Leg #8: "The Most Hay-larious thing ever."

Original Air Date: November 27th, 2002.

Receiving $240, teams are told to go to a hay barn at a nearby farm and search the hay bales for their next clue. Then teams have to go, by boat to Romanshorn and train to Schaffhausen, to Switzerland and find the Rheinfall. Next teams have to go to the Zurich town square, known as the Lindenhof, where the Detour is located. This Detour is a choice between Count the Money and Run the Numbers.

The answer to both Detour options is the combination to a safe. In Count the Money, teams stay in the room with the safe and count mixed Swiss currency in a bowl. In Run the Numbers, teams must obtain the numbers on a metal statue at the corner of Sihl and Bahnhof, the sum of the numbers on the north face of St. Peter's Church, and the number of trees on the Lindenhof marked with red ribbons. Put those numbers together and you get the combination(127850).

After that, teams have to make their way, by train, to the town of Grindelwald (yes like the Harry Potter character). There they go to a field outside of town where the Roadblock is. In this Roadblock, one team member has to recreate the tale of William Tell by shooting an apple off a mannequin's head with a crossbow. From there teams have to walk to the Pit Stop: The Chalet Arnika.

1. Tian and Jaree 4:53 P.M. Won two Kodak EasyShare Cameras.

2. Flo and Zach 4:55 P.M.

3. Derek and Drew 5:01 P.M.

4. Ken and Gerard 5:04 P.M.

5. Dennis and Andrew 5:07 P.M. NOT ELIMINATED.

Leg #9: "You didn't need to take your pants off." Part I

Original Air Date: December 4th, 2002.

Getting $40, teams have to search the bottom of the Gletscherschluct (a local gorge) for the keys to their cars. The clue in the car includes the Fast Forward. In this Fast Forward, teams have to visit a cheese hut, go to a cheese wheel that's been cubed and eat enough of it to get the Pit Stop clue. Flo and Zach get it.

The other teams have to drive themselves to Kandersteg and load their cars onto a train that will take them through the Alps. Once on the other side, they have to make their way to the Red Bridge. This is where teams find the Detour: Extreme Swiss and Very Swiss. In Extreme Swiss, teams go on the highest bungee jump in Europe at the time. In Very Swiss, teams must drive eight miles to a nearby farm, where the keys to clue boxes hang hidden in a few bell collars worn by 75 goats. Yep.

At the end of either Detour task teams are given a T-Mobile cell phone they can use to call home. They have to end the call before they drive to the Chateau de Chillon in Montreux. This is where the Roadblock is. In this Roadblock, one team member has to assemble a Swiss Army Bike using a reference model. Once it has been properly assembled, team will ride both bikes to the Bassett Marina. There they will use paddleboats to get to the Pit Stop: The Steamship Savoie.

1. Flo and Zach 12:40 P.M. Won a seven night Caribbean cruise for two.

2. Ken and Gerard 1:59 P.M.

3. Derek and Drew 2:13 P.M.

4. Dennis and Andrew 2:30 P.M.

5. Tian and Jaree 2:35 P.M. NOT ELIMINATED.

Leg #10: "You didn't need to take your pants off" Part II

Original Air Date: December 4th, 2002.

During the Pit Stop, the ship the teams were on moved from Montreux to Lausanne. At the start of the leg, teams get $70. They are then told to go back to Geneva and go to the Jet d'Eau and find their clue there. This clue tells teams to go to the Petronas Towers in Malaysia, though they are only given a flag to go by for the country.

Once there teams have to convince a local to take their picture in front of the towers. Then they have to go to a local shopping mall to develop the picture, which will have their next clue on the back. Next teams have to go to the National Orchid Garden in Singapore and find the Margaret Thatcher Orchid where their next clue will be. That's where teams find the Detour: Dry or Wet.

In Dry, teams have to find Singapore's most popular comedian. The trick is that he's in an apartment complex surrounded by streets named Choa Chu Kang. To make things more difficult, the apartment he's in has apartment numbers that vary from wing to wing and the elevators don't stop on consecutive floors. In Wet, teams go to the Singapore Zoological Gardens and swim in the Manatee enclosure. Then teams go to the Fountain of Wealth in Suntec City, where one team member runs around the fountain once and then goes in to get the clue (it's treated like a random task, but it's a Roadblock). Then it's off to the Pit Stop: On top of Mount Faber.

1. Ken and Gerard 10:15 A.M. Won a seven night European cruise for two

2. Derek and Drew 10:17 A.M.

3. Flo and Zach 10:20 A.M.

4. Dennis and Andrew 10:40 A.M.

5. Tian and Jaree 10:55 A.M. ELIMINATED.

Leg #11: "Don't try to play the moralist now!"

Original Air Date: December 11th, 2002.

Getting $80, teams are now going to Ho Chi Minh City (while the race is in Vietnam, the usual red and yellow flag will be white and yellow), and find the statue of Bac Ho (Ho Chi Minh) in Rex Square for their next clue. Next teams have to go to the Mekong River Delta where they find the Detour: Easy Buy or Hard Sell.

In Easy Buy, teams have to go into a floating marketplace and buy a water coconut from a merchant selling them. In Hard Sell, teams take a shoulder basket filled with fruit into the land market and make 40,000 Vietnamese dong (about $2.50 at the time). Once teams turn in what they are supposed to (money or coconut) they will get their next clue. It tells them to go to a specific place on the Saigon River in Ho Chi Minh City where the Roadblock is.

In this Roadblock, one team member has to drive the other in a cyclo bike, along a marked course, to the Pit Stop: The Cafe Thu Thiem. There is much confusion as to where the Roadblock is but teams do eventually find it.

1. Dennis and Andrew 5:17 P.M. Won a Seven night European Cruise for two.

2. Flo and Zach 5:44 P.M.

3. Ken and Gerard 6:06 P.M.

4. Derek and Drew 6:15 P.M. ELIMINATED.

Leg #12: "Flying, Driving and Running." Part I.

Original Air Date: December 18th, 2002.

Getting $162, teams are told to go to the Imperial Palace in Hue. This requires a 24 hour train ride. Flo actually takes this better than she would have under other circumstances (though she says that was only because Zach was able to get them first class on the train). Once there, teams face the Detour: Basket Boats or Basket Bikes. In Basket Boats, teams have to paddle a boat that looks like a teacup across a river to a marker on an island. In Basket Bikes, both team members have to ride a bike loaded down with dozens and dozens of locally made shrimp boats a mile down a dirt road.

Once that is done teams have to go a boat quay at Hoi An, the site of the Roadblock. In this Roadblock, one team member has to climb onto a Vietnamese fishing platform and use a wooden winch to raise the net in the water enough for their teammate to get the clue. Then it was off to the Pit Stop: China Beach.

1. Ken and Gerard 5:47 P.M. Won a Seven night Alaskan cruise for two.

2. Flo and Zach 5:55 P.M.

3. Dennis and Andrew 6:03 P.M. NOT ELIMINATED.

Leg #13: "Flying, Driving and Running." Part II

Original Air Date: December 18th, 2002.

After receiving $150, teams go to the Buddha at Quang Minh Temple. There they get a clue telling them to go to Honolulu, Hawaii where they will be blessed by the Kahuna. The clue specifies that teams have to get to Honolulu thru Hanoi. After getting to Honolulu and getting the blessing teams have to go to Wailua Falls on Kauai. There the teams face the Detour: Quick Drop or Slow Walk.

In Quick Drop, racers share a 160 foot drop into water via zip line. In Slow Walk, teams have to take a long and winding path. Though it turns out that someone on the production team goofed and setup Quick Drop in a place where Slow Walk would have been impossible. Whoops. Anyway, teams are then told to go to the final destination city: Seattle, Washington.

Once in Seattle, teams have to go to Kerry Park. There teams are told to travel on foot to the International Fountain at the Seattle Center. Then teams have to go to Lincoln Park where the Roadblock is. This Roadblock is actually a precursor to the memory challenges that end each season later in the series. Basically, teams have to put the currencies that they encountered on a totem pole in the order they encountered them. The correct order is American Dollar, Brazilian Real, Euro, South African Rand, Euro, Singaporean Dollar, Vietnamese Dong and American Dollar again. Then it's off to the Finish Line: Gasworks Park.

1. Flo and Zach WIN

2. Ken and Gerard PLACE

3. Dennis and Andrew SHOW

The Review

This season was definitely better than it could have been. The locations were great, the challenges were great for the most part. Whether or not you like this season is down to whether or not you like both winners. Zach, most people agree, has the patience of a saint to have dealt with Flo the way he did. Flo, depending on who you asked, was either a spoiled, whiny bitch or a whiny, moody bitch. Yeah, Flo's not exactly well liked among fans.

However, there is another interpretation of her that I have seen in recent years. It says that Flo wasn't as bad as she was. That she was just someone who was in over her head. This has been around since the first TARCon, gatherings where fans and Racers (current and former) to watch the last episode of any given season (with the biggest one happening in New York), where Flo showed up. Not only that but she had a sense of humor about how she was portrayed on the show. As for me, while I do find her annoying, I don't think she's the Our Lady of Perpetual Grief that many fans paint her as.

It's my number eight race. Still the ratings for this season were respectable for this season in spite of, or maybe because of, Flo. It was enough for another season. Unfortunately, it was moved. And it almost destroyed the franchise.

-Globetrotting: An Amazing Race Blog by R. C. Anderson on the website Reality Rewind, September 19th, 2016.

Last edited:
Street Fighter Omega
(NEW) Manna- (the game's main villain, a woman who was born with the ability to use an ancient type of dark magic and now seeks to conquer the world)
*M. Bison tuns dramatically* "OF COURSE!"
The Amazing Race: Season 3: There's No Crying in Racing.
<snip>
7. Andre and Damon 2:20 P.M. PENALIZED 80 MINUTES
<snip>
1. Heather and Eve 1:28 A.M. 28 MINUTE PENALTY/ELIMINATED.
<snip>
In Lug It, teams have to go to Las Ramblas, going to the Maremagnum Bridge on foot, change into a nine and a half foot tall costume of a giant, then carry that more than a mile to Placa San Felipe Neri to get their next clue.
<snip>
Leg #9: "You didn't need to take your pants off." Part I
Leg #10: "You didn't need to take your pants off" Part II
Great write-up, but what were the teams penalized for?
-
I'm confused, are the teams wearing the costumes or carrying them?
-
That episode title seriously needs elaboration; who took their pants off, why, why did they not need to, and seriously wut?! :p
#ItJustRaisesTooManyQuestions

*M. Bison tuns dramatically* "OF COURSE!"

Great write-up, but what were the teams penalized for?
-
I'm confused, are the teams wearing the costumes or carrying them?
-
That episode title seriously needs elaboration; who took their pants off, why, why did they not need to, and seriously wut?! :p
#ItJustRaisesTooManyQuestions
In Andre and Damon's case, they blocked several teams at the airport.

In Heather and Eve's case, they took a taxi to the Pit Stop instead of walking.

The costumes are 9.5 feet tall, so both. They are made of paper mache,aluminum and cloth. What happens is, you go in under the cloth strap them to your shoulders then you lift them up. That way you can carry them and wear them.

Flo was telling Zach that he didn't need to take off the bottoms of his pants to go into the apartment building side of the Detour in that leg.

The Billboard #1 Hits Of 2002
So as a quick bonus update this weekend, I'm going to go ahead and post the Billboard #1 hit songs of 2002.

Billboard #1 Hits Of 2002

January 5: “How You Remind Me” by Nickelback
January 12: “How You Remind Me” by Nickelback
January 19: “Human Souls” by Gemini
January 26: “Human Souls” by Gemini
February 2: “You Know I'm Here 4 U” by Usher
February 9: “You Know I'm Here 4 U” by Usher
February 16: “You Know I'm Here 4 U” by Usher
February 23: “You Know I'm Here 4 U” by Usher
March 2: “You Know I'm Here 4 U” by Usher
March 9: “You Know I'm Here 4 U” by Usher
March 16: “Girl Tricks” by Julieta Venegas
March 23: “Girl Tricks” by Julieta Venegas
March 30: “Girl Tricks” by Julieta Venegas
April 6: “Girl Tricks” by Julieta Venegas
April 13: “Girl Tricks” by Julieta Venegas
April 20: “Girl Tricks” by Julieta Venegas
April 27: “Chilly” by Christina Aguilera
May 4: “Chilly” by Christina Aguilera
May 11: “Hold Up” by Usher
May 18: “Hold Up” by Usher
May 25: “Black Suits Comin' (Nod Ya Head)” by Will Smith
June 1: “Hold Up” by Usher
June 8: “That's Not What I Want” by Mary J. Blige
June 15: “That's Not What I Want” by Mary J. Blige
June 22: “That's Not What I Want” by Mary J. Blige
June 29: “That's Not What I Want” by Mary J. Blige
July 6: “Sparkle” by Destiny's Child
July 13: “Sparkle” by Destiny's Child
July 20: “Sure Thing” by Aggro
July 27: “The Power Of A Kiss” by Marissa Linz
August 3: “Tear Out The Pages” by Selena
August 10: “Tear Out The Pages” by Selena
August 17: “Tear Out The Pages” by Selena
August 24: “The Game Of Love” by Santana ft. Selena
August 31: “The Game Of Love” by Santana ft. Selena
September 7: “The Game Of Love” by Santana ft. Selena
September 14: “The Game Of Love” by Santana ft. Selena
September 21: “The Game Of Love” by Santana ft. Selena
September 28: “The Game Of Love” by Santana ft. Selena
October 5: “The Game Of Love” by Santana ft. Selena
October 12: “The Game Of Love” by Santana ft. Selena
October 19: “The Game Of Love” by Santana ft. Selena
October 26: “The Game Of Love” by Santana ft. Selena
November 2: “The Game Of Love” by Santana ft. Selena
November 9: “The Game Of Love” by Santana ft. Selena
November 16: “The Game Of Love” by Santana ft. Selena
November 23: “The Game Of Love” by Santana ft. Selena
November 30: “The Game Of Love” by Santana ft. Selena
December 7: “The Game Of Love” by Santana ft. Selena
December 14: “The Game Of Love” by Santana ft. Selena
December 21: “Neverland” by Ashanti
December 28: “Neverland” by Ashanti

(Author's note: Gemini, Aggro, and Marissa Linz are completely original artists TTL. Gemini are a Mexican-American brother/sister duo, Aggro is a rap/R&B artist with a slightly harder edge than Usher, and Marissa Linz is a 16-year-old girl who's sort of like a tamer Britney Spears.)

Status
Not open for further replies.